Prev_page Previous 1
Berserk Question 05/28/2010 09:21 AM CDT

Ok, so I get into a jam and I toss up berserk stone. However, I can't get it to end. I thought it would wear off after awhile but it just keeps going and going long after what I need it for ended.

Is there anyway I can make this stop? This is really annoying, beserk seems pretty neat but I don't know how useful it really is going to be if this keeps going forever.
Re: Berserk Question 05/28/2010 09:38 AM CDT
I don't beserk much so I can't remember if there's actually a command to stop it but I don't think so. My advice would be to kill until everything is gone(since IIRC you can't retreat with stone) then leave the area. Stone doesn't take much IF so if you keep killing it'll keep regening your IF and keep the berserk going.
Re: Berserk Question 05/28/2010 10:39 AM CDT
the only way to prematurily end a berserk, is if you have a shark tooth from an old fest, for that particular serk. they are used by squeezing them til they slice you hand open, snapping you out of, or into said berserk. Problem is/was they have a limited number of uses each, so not really worth looking for them IMO.
Re: Berserk Question 05/28/2010 12:00 PM CDT
That's one of the reasons berserks don't get used at the high end. There's no feasible way to stop them other than to let them run out.
Re: Berserk Question 05/28/2010 01:07 PM CDT
What Pendus said. When my wee barbs use the berserks, they have to empty the room then skeedaddle if they want the berserks to end.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Berserk Question 05/28/2010 01:27 PM CDT
You can shorten the length significantly by being out of combat.

If out of combat you can shorten the length even more significantly by then berserking cycline, nightmare, and blood out of combat, you will fall stunned for probably a full minute or more.

I do realize these are work-arounds out of combat and probably defeat the purpose of wanting to stop them in the first place....but I thought I would share.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Berserk Question 05/28/2010 02:57 PM CDT
You have to let it run its course or kill everything and leave. Berserk Stone has a 30 minute duration for me, so it takes awhile to run out. I use it religously, but I simply keep it up and when I'm ready to leave, I will berserk blood and kill the creatures quickly then leave.

Battle Lord Wartug Skullcleaver
Gor'Tog Barbarian

"You live and die by the only thing you can control: your choices. Choose wisely."
Re: Berserk Question 05/28/2010 05:10 PM CDT
Soon you should have nightmare and you can reatreat with that up, much easier to stop fighting and just let it end.
Re: Berserk Question 05/28/2010 06:12 PM CDT
>>Soon you should have nightmare and you can reatreat with that up

If it is stacked with Stone, I dont believe you can retreat.

~Sulakhan

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: Berserk Question 05/29/2010 06:55 PM CDT
I was just saying use it and not stone, gives some nice bonuses, works really well.
Re: Berserk Question 05/29/2010 08:15 PM CDT
>>I was just saying use it and not stone, gives some nice bonuses, works really well.

Oh, I was under the impression it only boosted strength and charisma. I haven’t used it much, once I get Deaths Shriek I probably will.

~Sulakhan

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: Berserk Question 05/29/2010 08:29 PM CDT
It buffs strength charisma and gives a multi bonus so it does help with multi fighting but after just comparing it to stone, stone is better if you can handle the no retreat.
Re: Berserk Question 05/29/2010 08:37 PM CDT
>>stone is better if you can handle the no retreat.

I took Hiss early on for this reason. I never understood why Stone was no retreat, especially since the stam boost isn't really needed unless you're dying. It just seems silly.

~Sulakhan

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: Berserk Question 05/29/2010 10:43 PM CDT
>I never understood why Stone was no retreat

With rare exception all berserks are no retreat. The idea is you're too angry to even think about it.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi, Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Berserk Question 05/30/2010 07:24 AM CDT
I think the strength boost for nightmare is dismal, like +1 or +2 or something. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Re: Berserk Question 05/31/2010 02:32 AM CDT
>>I never understood why Stone was no retreat, especially since the stam boost isn't really needed unless you're dying. It just seems silly.

Stone is a very powerful buff, especially at lower circles: I always considered it a vitality version of the Cleric spell Persistence of Mana, and on top of that it offers damage reduction, stat boosts, and multi opponent boost.

I agree with the no-retreat being strange. While I don't mind if some of the restrictions (like no-retreat on some berserks) staying for "flavor," in general the penalties of berserks are way too restricting, and make most people shy away from ever using them. I hope the rewrite fixes this, because I love the concept of being an angry Barbarian.

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Berserk Question 05/31/2010 02:43 AM CDT
<<Stone is a very powerful buff... at lower circles>>

Fixed, it's easily surpassed by Badger and Dragon somewhere between 60th and 75th circle. Stone's straight reduction of incoming damage has a hard time keeping pace with the percentage boosts of the dances.

Early on, though, plate armor + berserk stone was letting me lie down in bloodvines stanced to zero without taking any wounds. Good times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downing_effect
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning_kruger_effect
Re: Berserk Question 05/31/2010 03:02 AM CDT
>>Fixed, it's easily surpassed by Badger and Dragon somewhere between 60th and 75th circle.

If you just take it on its own, I think it's a decent ability in its own right.

I actually had this line in the post about how I realize the standard of measurement these days is Dragon Dance at circle 100+, and in comparison it's crap, but it sounded sort of ranting, so I took it out!

Choosing between it and Badger, obviously you take Badger in later circles. But what if Stone was a straight damage reduction and you could stack it with Badger? Hopefully the rewrite will allow something like this.

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Berserk Question 05/31/2010 10:51 AM CDT
Is there a barb out there that has actually min/maxed (e.g. 10 or less disc, no hiding, plate) and a zerk build all the way to circle 100+ and compared every possible combination of dances vs Dragon?

If not, I'm in the middle of a grand experiment-- I'm growing both a disc-focused dancing/hiding barb and also a no-disc/no-hiding combat tdp zerking armored barb. Will be good for comparison purposes.
Re: Berserk Question 05/31/2010 11:34 AM CDT
There's no barb like that because having 10 or less disc makes for one crappy character.
Re: Berserk Question 05/31/2010 12:16 PM CDT
For PvE, berserks/plate/low disc is great unless you want to train ranged weapons or stealth. If you're okay with that they'll probably perform fine, though the usual blood/stone/nightmare combo starts falling a bit short around celpeze level.

With regard to PvP, the current system is dominated by stealth, ranged weapons, and disablers, particularly chain-stuns. Nightmare can significantly enhance roars, but other than that berserks don't have much to offer in these areas; on top of that they penalize your perception indirectly via int/wisdom, and interact horribly with stuns, breaking you free over and over only to leave you flat on your back with no buff and a worse stun than any of the ones they prevented.

I tried the plated berserking barbarian thing. The early success was unexpected and impressive, but the idea fell short in the late game where dances offer almost all the benefits of berserks with none of the drawbacks.

Re: Berserk Question 05/31/2010 12:40 PM CDT
>I tried the plated berserking barbarian thing. The early success was unexpected and impressive, but the idea fell short in the late game where dances offer almost all the benefits of berserks with none of the drawbacks.

Can you define early/late game? I'm assuming early would be anything pre 200 ranks, and late would be mostly 400+?
Re: Berserk Question 05/31/2010 12:57 PM CDT
I suspect it would change based on the individual character, but for me dances easily replaced berserks not long after I started hunting celpeze - roughly 350-400 ranks or 65-75th circle. Until that point I did pretty well with just berserks.

I think the general population considers that to be late-game, though the gulf only widens after that point, with dances pulling far ahead by the time you hit dillos.

Re: Berserk Question 05/31/2010 01:15 PM CDT
So, can you say dances equal stacked 'zerks till that range, but start to pull ahead, or do berserks simply completely eclipse dances until you hit 50+?
Re: Berserk Question 05/31/2010 02:00 PM CDT
Might be the closest. 87th barb with 75 str, 70 stam, 55 agil/ref and 25 disc. 400 ranks of HP, but due to the hinderance with using full plate, I prefer good leather body armor with forged HP accessories. I don't hide during combat. Plan is to get str/stam/agil/ref to 99 and do some testing of the berserks, granted if the re-write hasn't happened at that time.

Gor'Tog Barbarian

"You live and die by the only thing you can control: your choices. Choose wisely."
Re: Berserk Question 05/31/2010 02:11 PM CDT
>>Might be the closest. 87th barb with 75 str, 70 stam, 55 agil/ref and 25 disc. 400 ranks of HP, but due to the hinderance with using full plate, I prefer good leather body armor with forged HP accessories. I don't hide during combat. Plan is to get str/stam/agil/ref to 99 and do some testing of the berserks, granted if the re-write hasn't happened at that time.

Well heck you could do some testing now? Can you stack blood, stone, and Cyclone together without callapsing? If so can you stack all 4? (add nightmare)

Your highest berserk, how does that perform?

Re: Berserk Question 05/31/2010 02:15 PM CDT
If you look back a page or two, I did testing at circle 75 with stacking. I'll probably retry the tests when I hit 100.

Some more testing done, this time with combinations. Same set up as before: Engaged at melee with full inner fire. Nothing killed during the duration.

75th Circle Barbarian

Stats:

Strength : 65 Reflex : 48
Agility : 45 Charisma : 10
Discipline : 25 Wisdom : 20
Intelligence : 20 Stamina : 60

Test results:

COMBO: STONE / BLOOD / NIGHTMARE
Duration - 22 minutes 56 seconds
Outcome - Level 1 full inner fire (winded)

COMBO: STONE / BLOOD / CYCLONE
Duration - 7 minutes 42 seconds
Outcome - Level 10 (exhausted)
Stun Length - 46 seconds

COMBO: STONE / BLOOD / NIGHTMARE / CYCLONE
Now this one took a little different approach. I began with Stone, blood, and nightmare. I was at Level 9 of the inner fire list upon engaging all three. 8 minutes into it I raised up to level 5 and engaged Cyclone. At 15 minutes 36 seconds I lost Stone and Nightmare. At 18 minutes and 34 seconds I collapsed from fatigue. I was at a Level 9 inner fire and fatigue is at Beat. There was a 20 second stun upon completion.

Yay for four berserks at once:

Strength : 65 + Reflex : 48 +
Agility : 45 + Charisma : 10 +
Discipline : 25 Wisdom : 20 -
Intelligence : 20 - Stamina : 60 +

Duration of Stone / Blood / Nightmare before Cyclone engaged - 8 minutes
Duration of Stone / Blood / Nightmare / Cyclone - 7 minutes 36 seconds (stone and nightmare end)
Duration of Cyclone / Blood until completion - 2 minutes 58 seconds
Outcome - Level 9 (beat)
Stun Length - 20 seconds

Gor'Tog Barbarian

Re: Berserk Question 05/31/2010 03:24 PM CDT
<<So, can you say dances equal stacked 'zerks till that range, but start to pull ahead, or do berserks simply completely eclipse dances until you hit 50+? >>

Berserks are better than dances for everything except stealth/ranged hunting and general PvP until at least 50th, assuming you don't need to retreat. Once you hit that point dances are about equal for power but still non-stackable. By 70th dances performed noticeably better.

Re: Berserk Question 05/31/2010 03:50 PM CDT
>>Battle Lord Wartug Skullcleaver

Neat tests, keep it up. So it looks like it is safe to say Cyclone alone takes more IF than blood/stone/nightmare combined?

One of my favorite berserk combos is Blood + Cyclone for killing which if I am killing at a good clip it normally ends with me dropping to a knee (without stun)

Re: Berserk Question 05/31/2010 04:46 PM CDT
Those stats make me one sad barb. I can't fathom someone completely tanking their ability to learn to swing heavier weapons, stack berserks that you can't really end, and tank your ability to see hiders(which will come into play when you have to move into juvies). Out of curiosity, what kind of pulses do you see on your primary weapons, Wartug?
Re: Berserk Question 05/31/2010 09:03 PM CDT
Wartug, I like your style.

One question-- Did you find any benefit for training discipline to 25? Keep us posted on your character's progress.

>>Those stats make me one sad barb. I can't fathom someone completely tanking their ability to learn to swing heavier weapons, stack berserks that you can't really end, and tank your ability to see hiders(which will come into play when you have to move into juvies). Out of curiosity, what kind of pulses do you see on your primary weapons, Wartug?

I know the current doctrine is that the percentage increase from it is better than the flat amount from berserks (if that's really the case). If you don't PvP, and you don't care about the mental penalty or hiding, zerking gives Barbarians a unique opportunity to min/max.

So far I'm loving my zerk barb. He never needs to retreat, and because he doesn't have to deal with hiding, he can train more weapons and more armor simultaneously than my dancing barb. Coupled with the fact that he can get away with neglecting four stats (int, wis, disc, charisma), the other four stats are becoming beastly, allowing him to overhunt early on. With weapons as the primary pool, he's basically a TDP machine. This wouldn't be possible without the new experience system.

He never needs to retreat, he is constantly in a state of killing and NEEDING MOAR RAGE. He kills a mob in a max spawn area every 25 seconds (including engagement, arranging, skinning, and searching). This is the average of many hours of killing, and not just burst. My TM characters and dancing/hiding had their fastest speeds in the 35 second range. That's 1/3 more efficient to me.

Even with the intel/wis hit, he can still skin effectively and his perception is pretty good from the HUNT verb. As far as I know, the int/wis penalty from zerking does not affect learning rate.

Of course the zerk barb won't be as good in PvP as my dancing barb in PvP.
Re: Berserk Question 05/31/2010 09:06 PM CDT
I also want to add that the biggest predictor of pulse size is whether or not the skill is primary/secondary/tertiary.

Barbs are the only guild that are weapon primary. Weapon is the skillset that has the most weapons skills, and a lot of TDP potential there. If you're draining faster than you can fill all of the skills, it's not really worth it anyways. So, it's more about the rate which you can fill all your skill pools, rather than the rate at which you drain it, especially if you want to keep your secondary defense somewhat in line.
Re: Berserk Question 05/31/2010 09:57 PM CDT
>Barbs are the only guild that are weapon primary. Weapon is the skillset that has the most weapons skills, and a lot of TDP potential there. If you're draining faster than you can fill all of the skills, it's not really worth it anyways

Won't this start to show when your defenses slack way behind your weapon skills? Unless you are stancing and working enough weapons to counter-act it, which makes your post rather disingenious.
Re: Berserk Question 05/31/2010 11:03 PM CDT
Early on really doesn't mean anything. Everyone learns well early on, even if you don't train mentals. It's when you get into the celpeze+ levels that it gets rough. When you start getting open rolled, stamina won't mean anything. Get a strong hit that explodes the chest and that 99 stamina is worthless. When you get into that range, you WILL need to retreat. Wanting to get to 99 agility and reflex early is one thing, getting all physicals when that much strength and stamina really won't help you is another. With 60 in both int and wisdom, my primary still pulses under .006.
Re: Berserk Question 05/31/2010 11:54 PM CDT
>>Won't this start to show when your defenses slack way behind your weapon skills? Unless you are stancing and working enough weapons to counter-act it, which makes your post rather disingenious.<<

I was able to train 5 weapons (and only 5 weapons) mostly on par with my defenses, though my weapons do lag my defenses by about 100 ranks.

Shield, Parry, Evasion all between 925 and 950

HC/LC ~ 905
Leather ~ 870

Brawling, LE, ME, HE, 2HE all between 801 and 860

I'm just waiting for Leather to break 900 before backtraining the rest of the weapons.

I've never trained any weapons other than those 5. I feel if I trained more weapons, my defenses would actually be further ahead of weapons than they already are.

exp weapon all

Circle: 150
Showing Weapon skills that you have skill in.

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
Parry Ability: 949 14% dabbling (1/34) Multi Opponent: 653 15% clear (0/34)
Light Edged: 831 97% dabbling (1/34) Medium Edged: 842 16% clear (0/34)
Heavy Edged: 834 41% clear (0/34) Twohanded Edged: 860 53% clear (0/34)
Light Blunt: 1 95% clear (0/34) Medium Blunt: 1 95% clear (0/34)
Heavy Blunt: 1 95% clear (0/34) Twohanded Blunt: 1 95% clear (0/34)
Brawling: 801 62% clear (0/34)

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: Berserk Question 05/31/2010 11:58 PM CDT
>>Won't this start to show when your defenses slack way behind your weapon skills? Unless you are stancing and working enough weapons to counter-act it, which makes your post rather disingenious.

I think you missed the point. I'm saying more wisdom and intel, and training fewer weapons will only make the gap between primary and secondary larger. Training more weapons with lower absorption rates makes the gap smaller, and also gives you more TDPs for what you hunt. It's a more well-rounded approach at the cost of a bit of progression speed.

>>et a strong hit that explodes the chest and that 99 stamina is worthless. When you get into that range, you WILL need to retreat. Wanting to get to 99 agility and reflex early is one thing, getting all physicals when that much strength and stamina really won't help you is another.

1. Wearing thicker armor is the best protection against open rolls. It's harder to dance in plate than to zerk in plate.
2. Even though stamina doesn't mean much now, there may be changes on the horizon to affect how stamina helps with receiving damage as mentioned before last year.
3. If your chest is exploded, it's kind of hard to retreat-- even if your dancing.
Re: Berserk Question 06/01/2010 01:45 AM CDT
<<It's harder to dance in plate than to zerk in plate.>>

Not by much. The only penalty is to duration and it's never been much of an issue for me.

<<If your chest is exploded, it's kind of hard to retreat-- even if your dancing>>

Yes, but most open rolls will merely ALMOST explode a vital, or take out a limb, etc. In these cases retreating helps.

Berserks are solid enough buffs that you won't end up crippled at high circles, but know that you are definitely going to have to work significantly harder at most things than someone who took a balanced approach or put everything into dances. At armadillo level (550+) you're probably going to be dying more, too, unless something changes by that time.

Re: Berserk Question 06/01/2010 02:29 AM CDT
I've seen a Barb or 2 whine about being pretty useless in invasions and fighting against GMPCs. If all you do is berserk and use melee weapons then you will get smashed, especially if you get a spell cast on you. Of course, the same people usually complain about stealths when they get in just one spar.

If you are content in being horrible in PvP (if you actually socialize with others a lot then you may find yourself in this position anyway one day), never utilizing BMR to its full potential, being horrible at stealths, being horrible at using ranged weapons, then berserking works wonderfully I imagine.

Personally, I think being great at dances AND berserks (without lacking mentals) is the best way to get more tdps.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Berserk Question 06/01/2010 06:39 AM CDT
I've always believed the higher level zerks should allow retreating while the lower do not.

It seems like natural progression to me that you would go from mindless rage to controlled focused rage.

Re: Berserk Question 06/01/2010 06:49 AM CDT

I think people sorely underestimate the way my character performs or possibly overestimate the bad points of berzerking and having low mentals.

1st Highest: Brawling - 483
2nd Highest: Twohanded Edged - 439
3rd Highest: Heavy Crossbow - 425

I don't know why it would make someone horrible at using ranged weapons, I don't tend to have an issue with it. Heavy Crossbow allows me to stand at melee using an arm-worn shield and I can brawl while aiming.

As for open rolls, I've been killed once in celps by an open roll, but that's it, and it would have done it whether I was dancing dragon or berzerking stone. After learning 80 ranks from celps, one death isn't too bad. Usually stone can take out the damage and make open rolls lowered to a light bleeder hit and high stamina keeps me from being stunned. In fact, I usually have a single bleeder once every couple of days and that's the worst of it. I can't remember the last time I was stunned in combat or beaten down other than that one random open roll.

Not sure why people think high strength is useless, though, that's confusing to me. At only 439 ranks of 2HE I can almost always one-shot celps swinging a 102 stone greatsword at minimum rt without the use of any abilities and never feeling any fatigue. With 477 perception, I don't have issues searching out people around my level even with bad mentals, either.

The no retreat has never been an issue for me. I simply zerk stone while training and when I'm ready to go I just kill everything and leave. The only time it was a pain in the rear is passing through a room that automatically puts you at pole range with advacing creatures, for obvious reasons.

PROS: Can hunt above level with 4 creatures easily without taking damage, can kill things in very few hits, don't take stuns, very rarely killed, higher combat stats circle for circle than most

CONS: BMR is lower than it could be with higher mentals as they count twice as much as physical stats, I don't learn as quickly as someone with high mentals, can't retreat when desired, not as viable for PVP due to stealths/no retreat

Train how you want, and I'll train how I see my character. But the reality is, in your head my character is useless, but in usage he is actually incredibly proficient for what I do, which is hunt in PVE.

Gor'Tog Barbarian

Prev_page Previous 1