Prev_page Previous 1
DrRadio 11/09/2010 04:04 PM CST
Ok...let's clear the air here. DR Radio is on the air, or more accurately, bandwidth. The Music is eclectic from the AutoDJ and wonderfully tailored to the listeners by JP when he's doing his shows. I count myself as one of the "original-ish" listeners, and happily so. The "Guild Recruitment" Spots are genious. Enough fluff, here's my rub...

JP does a (almost) daily live show, and as part of that show, he discusses various aspects of DR. It's playability, lore, mechanics etc are all discussed. He, by having direct access to the mike, has the unique opportunity to expound on various aspects of the game. During these times when he waxes poetic, I believe he's been fare, even-handed and informative. He supports the GM's in general, and offers possible suggestions for game inclusion/exclusion and pretty much opens it up for discussion in the chat room. I have to admit, there's a LOT more to this game than I usually get exposed to. The discussions and chat interaction have actually led me a little more deeply into the "world" of DR, as well as the player v player intrigue, "what the hell where 'they' thinking"/"Brilliant!" moments of Elanthian goings-on, and "atmosphere." One problem I have with that, is listening to the show, keeping up with the chat room AND trying to train/RP (it ain't easy). What I do have a specific problem with is some perceived slights, or DR/GM bashing that some hyper-sensitive, question nothing, pre-disposed pinheads have tarred Jp (specifically) and DR Radio (generally) with. His love for the game comes through. Not everybody will agree with his ideas, but that's not the point. When he actually does give his own opinions (instead of just throwing a topic out for discussion), he does so with forethought and with an eye towards helping others, and maybe giving us...all of us...something to think about. He's not out there bashing DR or the GM's, even if some of the thin-skinned out there might want to think so. Honestly, this back-stabbing is unfounded and unmerrited.

GM's: Y'all aren't perfect, even if you're shooting for it.
Players: Opinions...sphincters...we all got'em.
Haters: why?
All of us: take a chill pill, tune in, join in...get over it.

Furbel
Re: DrRadio 11/09/2010 04:09 PM CST
Umm... huh?

Also, I think you posted in the wrong place.

-Evran

"RAGE + TEAR + EYE + RESO + HARM + DRUM + MISD + PRIDE + Your choice of Cyclic + AoE stun/knockdown as needed without losing buffs = OMG! I just crapped my pants!" -Evran
Re: DrRadio 11/09/2010 04:16 PM CST
I think "sensitivity" is quite certainly the issue.

Khorgar ~ Prepares for posts to be moved.
Re: DrRadio 11/09/2010 04:17 PM CST
maybe
Re: DrRadio 11/09/2010 04:24 PM CST
<<maybe

No. You did.

OOC Conflicts are over thataway --->

Necromancy brings out the Stupid in us all. -Armifer
Re: DrRadio 11/09/2010 04:30 PM CST
Just a reminder, I moved this thread here and not conflicts because the post wasn't TOO conflicty. However if we start going that route, either take it over there yourselves, or I have absolutely no problem having the thread moved over there entirely.

Be constructive.

Svafa

___
If you have questions or comments, please email me at DR-SVAFA@PLAY.NET or Senior Board Monitor Sidatura at
DR-SIDATURA@PLAY.NET or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at DR-ANNWYL@PLAY.NET.
Re: DrRadio 11/09/2010 05:15 PM CST
I just like that someone wrote a long explanation of their online weboblogoshow and never gave a URL.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: DrRadio 11/09/2010 05:30 PM CST
www.drradiostation.com

Have a show almost daily at 2pm eastern
Re: DrRadio 11/09/2010 06:18 PM CST
what furb said. I live time, interactive format for people to whine, complaine, praise, extol, and discuss all things DR is all the radio and its accompanying chat are. No one is bashed unless its deserved, lots are praised the game is brought to the fore for constructive discussion in a live format with out the need of checking forums every 2 minutes for a reply. I enjoy the music, the information and the interaction with players I normally wouldn't see/aknowledge/interact with in the game itself. Tune in, turn it up and join in the discussions of all things DR.
Re: DrRadio 11/09/2010 06:23 PM CST
Keep it to the discussion of the website/radio station and what its for. If you want to talk bashing people, go to conflicts or end it.

Thanks!

Svafa

___
If you have questions or comments, please email me at DR-SVAFA@PLAY.NET or Senior Board Monitor Sidatura at
DR-SIDATURA@PLAY.NET or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at DR-ANNWYL@PLAY.NET.
Re: DrRadio 11/09/2010 08:07 PM CST
<<what part involved bashing anyone?
<<What I do have a specific problem with is some perceived slights, or DR/GM bashing that some hyper-sensitive, question nothing, pre-disposed pinheads have tarred Jp (specifically) and DR Radio (generally) with.

Granted, its not from your post. But this thread is definitely leaning into the conflict zone.

-Evran

"RAGE + TEAR + EYE + RESO + HARM + DRUM + MISD + PRIDE + Your choice of Cyclic + AoE stun/knockdown as needed without losing buffs = OMG! I just crapped my pants!" -Evran
Re: DrRadio 11/09/2010 08:36 PM CST
Hi folks,

If you want to mention the website DRRadio - www.drradiostation.com feel free.

The comments about how people react to an OOG forums and the radio station need to go to an OOG Forum and not the DR folders.

If you have a conflict relating to something in DR, bring it over to the appropriate DR conflicts folder.

As is stated in EVERY board montor post, if you have questions about something a board monitor posts, email them directly.

If you have constructive ideas you would like to share, find the appropriate folder and feel free to post, both constructively and on-topic.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 12:30 PM CST
<<It's perfectly okay for him to have these opinons. It's also perfectly okay for some of us to disagree strongly with it. Hyper-sensitive, question nothing, pre-disposed pinheads indeed.>>

There's nothing wrong with letting people talk about what upsets them. There's nothing wrong with complaints. But just like on our forums, it's the way they're expressed that is the key. Constructive complaints are one thing. Vitriol and verbal bashing are another entirely. And, as I explained to him, it's perfectly ok if that's the direction he wants to take his show and the stance he wants to make.

However, I also said that if that's going to be the general theme, then we're going to not promote the show or the site, as it's not in our best interest to funnel people toward listening to that sort of stuff.

The claims that were being made on the show yesterday were heard by plenty of players and staff members who were basically offended at the accusations, especially some of the accusations made by people who were at the fest and who merchants spent plenty of time working with on alterations and who had plenty of success in the games. For them to turn around and be one of the most vocal with claims of cheating and favoritism just smacks of hypocrisy. I guess it's ok to make these sorts of accusations in public if you get what you want privately?

Frankly, these claims that the raffles and games and lists were somehow "rigged" are, in a word, ludicrous. I mean really. Think about it for a moment. If a GM was going to cheat and give a "favorite" an alteration, do you honestly think they'd be so stupid as to do it in a confined space where 2 dozen people would see it? Wouldn't it make more sense to just make the item in their office and move it into their bestest buddy's backpack or sheath or locker? Do you not understand that as a GM, we can manipulate any item in the game in any way we want? We don't have to do alterations as a merchant. We don't have to log in a specific character in order to change an item. One of the claims I heard yesterday was that we HAD to "cheat" for our friends in a festival, because otherwise players would see our merchant characters logging in and wonder where they were and why they couldn't find them. That's not how things would really work. I mean honestly, you don't even see us log into the game if we don't want you to see it.

I won't get into any of the other ridiculous things I heard that were being said yesterday and I have no idea what's been said in the past. My point is, the radio show and the chat room will be what you make it. You can either make it a place where people want to go and something people want to listen to to hear good things about the game, or you can turn it into a place where people can go to rabble rabble and be negative.

Jappal actually said to me yesterday (paraphrasing here) that he wants his site and station to be something positive for the game and that he felt obligated to allow people to express their negative thoughts, even though he knew some of them weren't accurate statements. Well, that's where we don't agree then, because if someone's ranting about something that's flat out wrong, then no, you aren't obligated to let them keep ranting. You can choose to say, "Actually, you're wrong. Let's move on." and do so. It's your site and your station, so you can run it however you wish.

The choice is up to you.

Solomon

Be our Facebook Pal!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/DragonRealms/60215414412
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 03:28 PM CST
After watching the board for responses and debate on this topic, I am going to give you my point on my station and show.

My radio station and show is dedicated to improving the RP and game experience of everyone. I share resources, information, that I have come across or are recommended to me. I have announcements of the game events, and promotions for Traders or those that sell goods in the game. DR Radio is another resource, tool or venue for players to learn, listen, or say what is bothering them.

What I try to encourage on my radio station and show is one of you can share your thoughts, opinions, your points of view, praises, and disappointments. A place where anything and everything gets aired out and shared because one of the biggest issues that DR has is the inability to express those points without 20-30 people tearing into it, in the form of trolls on the forums. Either here on some of the others that are out there. Not everyone goes to the Cons, and not everyone is an Estate holder/Primie, or figured out how to get the attention of the GM's, mentors, hosts, or whoever might be able to help or assist. I'm not creating a place where those that have these issues, dislikes, or concerns can come and feel justified in their ability to do so. I am providing another resource for them to be heard, and for those that should hear those afore mentioned issues. They can send me emails, chat with me in the chat room, or IM me, and I will listen to their issues. And I talk about it on air. Maybe instead of focusing on the fact I bring these issues to forefront maybe someone ought to go... 'Where is he getting all of this, and how can we help those that are reaching out.'

And before you start saying 'so all you do is bring every problem the players have to the light' I refuse to talk about a great many things. Things that would ruin reputations of players, or GM's. And I do not mean things not only in Game but RL as well. I cannot tell you how many times I have told people that I am not in the business of ruining anyone. I'm in the business of making sure everyone is heard. Or given the chance to speak.

I have extended the same stage of my show to the GM's to use my station to speak on updates, news, or just about any topic they wish. But I am told, that having them participate in the chat room discussions, or anything inside DR Radio would be showing favoritism to a select few. Even though my chat room and radio are free and anyone can become part of the discussion. And I can understand on some levels how it can be seen as that. But prolly not anymore than those that pay for basic accounts see the perks that Primies get.

Now I'll sit back and watch.
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 03:39 PM CST
I've never listened to the radio station, discussions or otherwise, nor do I have any investment in whether the station lives or dies. However...

<<And before you start saying 'so all you do is bring every problem the players have to the light' I refuse to talk about a great many things. Things that would ruin reputations of players, or GM's. And I do not mean things not only in Game but RL as well. I cannot tell you how many times I have told people that I am not in the business of ruining anyone.

As someone completely on the outside of this... based on that, I am completely disinclined to ever start listening to your station. What a load of passive-aggressive I'm-on-a-higher-plane-than-thou crap.

-Evran

Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 03:40 PM CST
Staff can't participate in DRRadio any more than they can post on Smelly-Cat, it's just how it is really. I'm really getting the impression from the boards today that some people seem to think that trolls=anyone that disagrees with you. A majority of the time, if someone posts a concern on the DR boards they aren't "trolled." If the concern has merits, it's discussed. If the concern is just flat out wrong, then their point is torn into. See the Complaints folder earlier today.

I think the thing that's important to realize is that there are some people who will just flat out make stuff up to be seen as the victim or to just complain about something for the sake of complaining. We've got them on SC, we've got them on the Play.net boards, and I'm sure you've had them in the radio chat. The key is figuring out the difference between valid concern and idle whining before letting it impact your own feelings towards things.

Personally, I think the radio station is a cool idea and hope it goes well for you. Just take things with a grain of salt and all will be well.

-=Issus=-
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 03:59 PM CST
Politicizing your role as a customer of a subscription service does not seem appropriate.

"Be heard?" "Reaching out?"

Go outside. Feed your dog. Feed your family. Consider channeling this energy into your local representative form of government or a nongovernmental humanitarian society.

Letting people vent just intensifies their feelings of anger and frustration, studies suggest.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 04:46 PM CST
Good point, for some of us who actually DO participate in our local goverment, I agree 100%.

I applaud Jappal for his efforts to create a venue such as the radio show. Well done and I'll be sending a donation.

solomon: There's nothing wrong with complaints. But just like on our forums, it's the way they're expressed that is the key.

If only that were a UNIVERSAL rule, what a wonderful world this would be.

It doesn't take a decade of interaction with Staff in DR to know and understand, what is good for the goose is not always good for the gander. Impossible? I don't think so.

I have heard plenty of positive discussion both on the air and in the chat room. Disagreements? absolutly. I barely can restrain from Outcast War rants myself. Its all on a light note, and the amount of possitive far outweighs the negative. Afterall who can be serious when I'm on a boat is blasing out of your speakers. Expression of Ideas always has confict before unity.

I like the 'town hall' style. keep it up! Please support this endevor, and enjoy the diversity of what makes DR, DR.

We all might even learn something.

Tea
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 05:02 PM CST
Teamarie, I don't mean this in any kind of conflicting way, but after reading your post several times now a number of us cannot understand any of what you are trying to convey. If you are responding to certain comments people made, can you please quote them next time so that people can figure out what you're referring to exactly?

Necromancy brings out the Stupid in us all. -Armifer
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 05:14 PM CST
Jappal I agree with your thoughts very much. I will never agree with the idea that YOU should decide what is right or wrong and tell everyone else to shut up. Most Radio people will tell you the same. The shut up mentality is the exact problem that causes this issue in the first place (In my opinion of course).

I think that is the mentality of a lot of the current GM's (IC and OOC). Obviously Solomon feels that way since he just said it. That really makes a lot of people in Dragon Realms (paying customers)annoyed. A large amount of people feel like what they have to say does not matter. Certainly not as much as other paying customers. A lot of that has to do with these forums where if someone does not agree with a certain crowd they are trolled by the same people over and over again. So they stop posting and hold hard feelings. I do not post here because I am not a fan of the layout not because of that FYI. Obviously I have no issues debating with people lol.

Now someone finally allows people to vent on a semi-large scale (DrRadio) without it being deleted and it highly controlled what is posted. The fact that Solomon responded in that way to Jappal the other day just makes it worse in my opinion in the eye's of the unhappy people. (which I am not one of I did not buy a fest ticket)

I hear a lot from people that it seems like in order to matter in this game it has nothing to do if you give Simu money or how you role play. It's if you share beers with the staff once a year. Whether that is true or not I am not sure and I do not personally care. I just hear that a lot. I also hear a lot from people how awesome the staff is that have met them in person. It could just be human nature to show favoritism in that case. IF it exists

Maybe it's by accident but a significant portion of your customer base feels this way. The staff might not know this because it is very difficult to talk to in general. On top of that the other largest forum to go for DR is similar. It alienates people and intimidates people that "do not belong." Whether you think that is "lame" or not it's how paying customers feel. That's important in my opinion. It would be to me if I were part of staff.

When I run my business I do not ignore concerns of my customers because it's flat wrong. I worry why they think that way and try to solve the problem. So Solomon I respectfully disagree with your idea that DrRadio should tell someone to stop talking if they are flat wrong. I also think not promoting them for that is a bad idea and will alienate people more.

I think the world has proven when you try to shut someone up because you personally feel they are being stupid or do not like them it will just make the issue worse. Usually it just doesn't matter to the person doing it is all. Maybe that is the case here but I do not think so. Jappal obviously cares. It's almost narcissistic (however you spell that) to feel like he can decide who talks and who doesn't. In Jappal's case that is. (Not calling anyone here names I promise)

To end this wall of text I just want to say that Jappal on a regular basis promotes staff and the game itself. It's a shame the only attention he gets is from someone running to Solomon offended and that other people's freedom of opinion reflects on his efforts. I enjoy everyone in Dragon Realms. I think every player is important to keep it alive. I am tired of seeing people quit on a regular basis. Maybe DRradio venting will help. I know I am talking to players I never talked to before because of it.

I am sure posting this was a terrible idea on my part but I just feel like Jappal should have a little support. He is doing a great job.

Alagash
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 05:31 PM CST
So sorry you could not grasp my intention, I quit posting and 'quoteing' here many years ago. My intention was not to convey anything other than I fully support, you know.... the radio show.

The number of you, can carry on with your day! Enjoy life!
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 05:34 PM CST
>>A large amount of people feel like what they have to say does not matter.

I actually feel that the exact opposite is true, and that the Dragonrealms staff tends to communicate with the playerbase far more than the MMO industry norm.

As for the rest of your post, I believe that your unusual approach to playing the game has given you an opinion that differs significantly from the average player outside your usual group.

"Our system to simulate facial hair is more complex than most spells." -Armifer
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 05:40 PM CST
Roof she put a quote in there by Solomon didn't she?
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 05:45 PM CST
Alright, here's some thoughts in response to that.

>>I will never agree with the idea that YOU should decide what is right or wrong and tell everyone else to shut up. Most Radio people will tell you the same. The shut up mentality is the exact problem that causes this issue in the first place (In my opinion of course).

It seemed less "Shut up" and more "If you want us to continue linking your site then curb the negativity towards the game and staff." He can't stop Jappal from broadcasting, but he's also under no obligation in any way to support it. You don't hear me complaining that GMs don't plug SC: We have our fair share of bashing, I wouldn't expect Simu to direct people to us.

>>I think that is the mentality of a lot of the current GM's (IC and OOC). Obviously Solomon feels that way since he just said it. That really makes a lot of people in Dragon Realms (paying customers)annoyed. A large amount of people feel like what they have to say does not matter. Certainly not as much as other paying customers. A lot of that has to do with these forums where if someone does not agree with a certain crowd they are trolled by the same people over and over again. So they stop posting and hold hard feelings. I do not post here because I am not a fan of the layout not because of that FYI. Obviously I have no issues debating with people lol.

This is largely a matter of perspective, IMO. The forum community is only a percentage of the player base. There's a section of that community that likes to complain over every little possible thing they can. There's a section of that community that finds that behavior obnoxious. There's a right way and a wrong way to present your concerns, and it seems like the people who make the biggest stink about perceived slights are also the ones who can't put their thoughts together in a well thought out post. If you start a thread raging like a maniac, you're going to be treated like a maniac.

>>Now someone finally allows people to vent on a semi-large scale (DrRadio) without it being deleted and it highly controlled what is posted. The fact that Solomon responded in that way to Jappal the other day just makes it worse in my opinion in the eye's of the unhappy people. (which I am not one of I did not buy a fest ticket)

Again, why would he not respond as he did? It's not like he locked him out or flew off the handle, he told him that if things continued down that path he'd have to go at it by word of mouth instead of linking from the website. It doesn't help matters when people jump in trying to make Jappal seem like some oppressed martyr here: On the contrary, Jappals own post didn't seem to me to be playing the "I'm a victim" card at all. He seemed to acknowledge the issue and recognize that it is an issue. Where he goes from there is his business.

>>When I run my business I do not ignore concerns of my customers because it's flat wrong. I worry why they think that way and try to solve the problem. So Solomon I respectfully disagree with your idea that DrRadio should tell someone to stop talking if they are flat wrong. I also think not promoting them for that is a bad idea and will alienate people more.

I think the staff puts up with a lot of nonsense on the boards, and overall does an excellent job addressing concerns. When people come to the boards ranting like madmen, though, they need to cool off and reconsider their approach. The sheer abuse aimed at GMs on the Simu boards is absurd.

I guess it seems to me, overall, that there's a semi-big deal being made out of absolutely nothing. Jappal runs a radio program which, again, I enjoy. Jappal gets links from play.net and GMs on the boards. The radio show took an anti-GM turn based off of what is (in my opinion, mind you) baseless nonsense. Jappal is told that Simu won't support having its GMs bashed. Jappal says that's not his goal. The end.

No one is taking your freedom to hold an opinion away, they're just not supporting opinions they disagree with.

-=Issus=-
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 05:48 PM CST
Thelost1

No I was stating the opinions I have heard from a bunch of people. A few of your comments almost expand on some of my points. Again alienating a group of people in your incorrect assumption of who I am talking about. You are mistaken by assuming who says those things to me. It is not just the group you are clumping me with.

It's a fact a significant (Key word) portion of people feel the way I mentioned. I never claimed the majority did because I do not know the opinion for the majority. I am just speaking on what I know for sure. I also am not saying the people that feel that way have a negative outlook towards staff in general. They just think it's blunt how favoritism works with court appointment, events surrounding characters, and fest things.
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 06:05 PM CST
Issus while you want to discredit someone for their posting ability on the internet you should consider comments like this just as harmful to a productive conversation.

"It doesn't help matters when people jump in trying to make Jappal seem like some oppressed martyr here"

Exaggerating what someone says is belittling. Your posts on a regular basis come off that way to me. Should your opinion not matter because of that? Of course not.

I think this is now the third conversation we have debated about and every time you have said people are overreacting or being dramatic. If the subject is being discussed it's for a reason. Whether you believe it's valid or not other people do think it is. There is nothing wrong with that. Not sure who you think you are that you get to decide what's valid and what isn't. If Solomon is sending messages in DR obviously it's not "absolutely nothing." It obviously had an emotional response from some staff and for good reason.

I agree with a lot of what you said but we are debating two different things. You are debating what Solomon has the right to do and I was simply giving my opinion on how those choices could be a bad idea. I could be wrong but it's how I feel.
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 06:32 PM CST
This is why I said you make him out to be a martyr:

The lead in.

>>A large amount of people feel like what they have to say does not matter. Certainly not as much as other paying customers. A lot of that has to do with these forums where if someone does not agree with a certain crowd they are trolled by the same people over and over again.

The build up.

>>Now someone finally allows people to vent on a semi-large scale (DrRadio) without it being deleted and it highly controlled what is posted.

The villification of dissenters.

>>I hear a lot from people that it seems like in order to matter in this game it has nothing to do if you give Simu money or how you role play. It's if you share beers with the staff once a year. Whether that is true or not I am not sure and I do not personally care. I just hear that a lot. I also hear a lot from people how awesome the staff is that have met them in person. It could just be human nature to show favoritism in that case. IF it exists

The rally to the cause.

>>I think the world has proven when you try to shut someone up because you personally feel they are being stupid or do not like them it will just make the issue worse. Usually it just doesn't matter to the person doing it is all. Maybe that is the case here but I do not think so. Jappal obviously cares. It's almost narcissistic (however you spell that) to feel like he can decide who talks and who doesn't. In Jappal's case that is. (Not calling anyone here names I promise)

That's how it came across to me, so I didn't feel saying you were making a martyr of him was particularly hyperbolic (aside from the obvious fact that he isn't actually being killed and all).

You're right, we've had this discussion before in other places. I still think people play the victim card to fast and loose, and it's clear you still don't think they do. But, as the topic states, that's not the point of this thread. The point of this thread is DrRadio and what is said there and how Solomon reacted. I still think what Jappal is doing is great, and I hope he considers the sources of his information when discussing things. I also still think how Solomon reacted was right and how anyone would and should react under these circumstances.

BTW, IM me at ZanderTirade, I've forgotten your SN and want to show you something. Besides, as our conversations on things like this tend to go it's probably just better to take it to IMs and save everyone the effort of putting up with us.

-=Issus=-
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 07:12 PM CST
Alagash,

You frequently use words like "a lot" and "most" and "semi-large". I'm not sure what numbers you're using for reference, but given that we know the size of our subscription base, I can safely say that you're making some pretty big exaggerations.

MOST of the players don't even use the boards. In fact, an overwhelming majority of them do not even read them, and a much smaller number actually post. Perhaps you meant to say "most of the people in the chat room"? If so, I'll totally agree with you there.

<<I hear a lot from people that it seems like in order to matter in this game it has nothing to do if you give Simu money or how you role play. It's if you share beers with the staff once a year. Whether that is true or not I am not sure and I do not personally care. I just hear that a lot. I also hear a lot from people how awesome the staff is that have met them in person. It could just be human nature to show favoritism in that case. IF it exists>>

If you don't care, then why even bring it up? It's fairly ridiculous to think that you can shmooze your way into GMs looking the other way when you break the rules or pal your way into special treatment. The simple fact of the matter is, the people who come to the conventions and gatherings are some of our most hard-code, die-hard customers. Yes, they're going to show up at events because they're involved in the game enough that they will buy a ticket. Yes, they're going to show up at merchants because they're playing the game enough to know when they're around, or as I said, buying tickets to events where merchants are present. Yes, they're going to get alterations at events because they're logged in a LOT and eventually, they're going to get picked for one of the lists they sign up for. Yes, they're going to win games because they're logged in a LOT and playing the games a LOT. Yes, they're going to be involved in lots of events because they're logged in a LOT and very few trouble-makers are hard-code, die-hard enough to show up at SimuCon (or are simply told not to show up or they'll be escorted off the property). Yes, they're going to be picked for court positions because they play a LOT and they're excellent roleplayers. This has nothing to do with showing up at SimuCon or VegasCon and everything to do with the kind of players these people are. People who don't give a flip about the game aren't going to pay to fly to St Louis of Las Vegas and spend a week/weekend hanging out with people who generally DO give a flip about the game. That doesn't mean that if you don't come to a Con, you aren't a good player or you don't care about the game. All it means is that if you don't care about the game or aren't a good player, you're not going to come to a Con, nine times out of ten. All this talk about favoritism and buddying up with the GMs does nothing but insult the staff and insult the players that the allegations are being made about. In fact, it insults every member of the staff because you're accusing them of cheating, lying, and breaking the rules. That's why it gets the reaction it does.

<<Maybe it's by accident but a significant portion of your customer base feels this way.>>

It's not an accident, it's sour grapes and spite, but it's also not "a significant portion of the user base, as I've said.

<<The staff might not know this because it is very difficult to talk to in general.>>

I disagree completely. especially compared with any other game on the market, the DR staff is open and willing to talk about anything and everything (assuming it doesn't break their NDA) regarding DR. They're just not going to do it anywhere other than the DR forums, because as I tried to explain to Jappal when he asked me why GMs didn't come into the chat room, giving a small number of players extra access to GMs that you're not giving other players is the very definition of favoritism. The exact same thing most of these people are accusing the GMs of doing for other people. Apparently it's ok if you do it for them?

<<When I run my business I do not ignore concerns of my customers because it's flat wrong. I worry why they think that way and try to solve the problem. So Solomon I respectfully disagree with your idea that DrRadio should tell someone to stop talking if they are flat wrong. I also think not promoting them for that is a bad idea and will alienate people more.>>

First off, it's not Jappal's place, nor is it within his ability to actually address the concerns of our customers. He simply can't do it because he doesn't know the truth. My issue is that he flat out said he knows some of these claims are wrong, but he feels obligated to let them be expressed, which does nothing more than fuel mob mentality and bandwagoning. If you heard someone was down the street or across town badmouthing your employees or your business, I'm quite sure you'd do everything you could to alleviate their concerns. I'm also guessing, however, that if you continued to say "That's not true and here's why" enough times and they kept insisting that it was, at some point you'd say, "Ok, I'm not getting anywhere with you and I'm neglecting the other people who dont' have these far-fetched/insulting/unfounded opinions of my store or my staff, so I'm going to focus on them now." You'd especially do that if those people wouldn't bother to come to your store to talk to you about it, but rather insisted that you drive across down and meet in some random location. At some point, you need to go back to your store and do your job.

Also, I don't think there's much you could/would do if those folks in question came into your store and you said, "How's everything?" and they either said, "Oh, fine." or worse yet, didn't say anything at all, but the second you turned and walked away, you heard them openly complaining to each other or to the other customers.

Likewise, if they said everything was fine, but the second they walked out the door, they started yelling on the streets how poorly they were treated or how horrible your store was, but when you walked out and said, "Why are you saying these things? Come inside and let's talk about it." they simply walked away, or worse yet, crossed the street and continued their tirade, I think at some point you'd say, "Oh well." and assume they weren't happy unless they were talking about how unhappy they were, even if what they were talking about couldn't be farther from the truth.

<<I think the world has proven when you try to shut someone up because you personally feel they are being stupid or do not like them it will just make the issue worse. Usually it just doesn't matter to the person doing it is all. Maybe that is the case here but I do not think so. Jappal obviously cares. It's almost narcissistic (however you spell that) to feel like he can decide who talks and who doesn't. In Jappal's case that is. (Not calling anyone here names I promise)>>

I'm not sure where you're trying to go with this, but I think I disagree with you. Sometimes the best thing to do with people who are making making spurious allegations and unfounded claims is to just ignore them. If what they're saying it untrue, their saying it won't make it true, so you just move on and eventually people will stop listening to them and they'll get bored and stop. It has nothing to do with narcissism at all and Jappal can absolutely say, "You know, I understand what you're saying, but I don't believe it's accurate, so thank you for saying your piece, but we're moving on to talk about something else." especially if what's being said is being said in a manner that's defaming, slandering, or bashing the GMs who are working very hard in their spare time to make DR a better place.

<<It's a shame the only attention he gets is from someone running to Solomon offended and that other people's freedom of opinion reflects on his efforts.>>

First off, he's gotten just as much support as anyone else ever has for something of this nature. We've encouraged listeners. We've posted links on the Facebook page. And when the "someone" who is offended is one of my staff members, I'm going to respond for sure. This is not some random person REPORTing or emailing me and trying to get anyone in trouble. These are people who bust their butt for me who are not just offended at some of these accusations and allegations, but hurt enough that they're questioning how much time they want to put into DR in the future. ESPECIALLY when some of these people making these claims got plenty of attention during Hollow Eve, but still feel the necessity to insult and/or bash the staff. Even more so, when some of the people making this ruckus were incredibly insulting, rude, and hateful to other players during the event and despite their actions, STILL got attention from the merchants.

<<Maybe DRradio venting will help. >>

Venting doesn't help anything if all you're doing is ranting to people who are expressly and solely looking for things to be negative about and complain about instead of making constructive, credible points using concrete facts and relevant examples AND presenting them to the people who actually can do something about your concerns.

Solomon

Be our Facebook Pal!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/DragonRealms/60215414412
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 07:16 PM CST
MIKE8844, I made no assumptions in my post. Feel free to read it again if you are still unclear.

"Our system to simulate facial hair is more complex than most spells." -Armifer
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 07:27 PM CST
It's worth noting that out of every online game that I've played, Dragonrealms has several orders of magnitude better staff response, whether it's to player concerns, questions, speed of assist responses, or suggestions.

For instance, about a week ago, a player suggested something over in the suggestions folder, and within 24 hours it was live in Prime. This is an extreme rarity in the video game industry, and I'm proud to be part of it.

It's also worth noting that had Bubba actually wanted to mute somebody on the forums, he probably wouldn't have engaged in the discussion. The boards may not be the best tech in the industry but we do have some useful tools.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 08:25 PM CST
I can't count the number of radio shows that I have seen lose multi million dollar contracts because of something ONE guest or host has said.

Free speech and private industry do not go well together.

~Sulakhan

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 08:34 PM CST
Solomon I am just on the opposite end on a lot of your thinking. Luckily, for me, I believe there is more then one right way to do things. Also you are arguing things I did not even mean. Which is understandable on the internet things come off wrong.

I use the words A LOT and the other stuff you so kindly listed simply about the people I talk to. That's a fact not an exaggeration thanks. You are doing a lot of exaggerating yourself about what I meant so I guess it just happens. lol

Yes MOST of the players do not use the boards. I gave my ideas why. The layout and the way they are talked to on here at times including the censorship that has to take place. I did not mean just the boards though. I mean in assists, forums, feedback, events, and every avenue possible. Personally i have yet to have a bad experience with a staff member. I hear it OFTEN though from other people and I have seen logs that blows my mind how SOME of your staff treats and talks to a customer. Maybe it is none of my business but just sayin.

I really do not care about what happened at the fest. You can doubt it all you want but it's true. I brought it up because I felt the need to support Jappal and also separately the people that are being called ignorant pretty much.

Your explanation about people that go to cons do not get favoritism makes perfect sense. Now that Jappal gave an avenue that has no influence over it people were able to vent comfortably (yes some people abuse that and are off the wall most likely) about it and this conversation happened and you addressed it. Seems productive to me. Again though I am not arguing that there is favoritism. I have no clue if there is. I am arguing that the problem is people believe there is and are brushed off. I think that's a bad idea is all.

If there indeed is no favoritism then it sounds like you are failing to explain that to some of your customers properly. I know you think it's just a couple people but it isn't. I am not claiming I know DR better then you at all. I do not. I am just saying a significant number of people feel that way that I talk with. I think it's wrong of you to consider them someone you should ignore but I could be wrong.

I believe that statement about ignoring them and they will go away will offend and discourage people from feeling like they can talk to you and your staff. If you are spread too thin then it is what it is. I just am saying things like that could make people feel alienated and that others are treated better. Saying it's sour grapes and spite is belittling to YOUR customer in my opinion. While I agree I know of at least one person that seems spiteful and sour about everything that happens in DR the majority of the people that talk to me about this subject were not in the radio chat room. Maybe you are assuming who I am defending? That could be the disconnect. Trust me I more then realize it's natural in business that 10% of the player base uses 90% of the customer service.

As for your track record compared to other games online I do not play any others. I do not think that would excuse negative things done to customers though.

There are plenty of hard core DR people that will never step foot in a CON however. Some of the people that are your hardest core players feel very alienated. Two of them play 14 to 16 hours a day average. Have multiple accounts. From what I see they role play very well. I do not think another player has a right to judge that though. They stopped attending events because they did not feel comfortable around some people and GM's in the game that seem to get the spotlight and are not stopped by staff. I think many people have told me you have to be allowed to RP in Theren. That not everyone is welcome there. Not sure if it's true I have not tried. Well... other then one time a GMPC assasin from Theren tracked a player down in Ratha and embarrassed that player in front of a bunch of people.

Keep in mind some people that attend cons are also given court positions in questionable ways that are not fully explained. Some of those same people have had events planned around them multiple times. I am saying if these things were addressed and people were allowed to vent it with response from Staff/players other then THAT IS STUPID YOU ARE EMO then I think it would go a lot further and this junk wouldn't happen.

Nobody claimed it was Jappals place to address concerns. He said I think 3 times during that broadcast that all he wants to do is allow others to talk. That he has no say in the matters. He is excellent at making that clear. I should also make it clear also that I am not saying Jappal should be a rep for DR unless you hired him. Just an asset for the players to vent.

It's a good analogy about the store. You have to get back to your job I understand that. I just see it different that ignoring that customer creates more anger and it will take a lot more effort to make them happy. I am saying if some people felt more comfortable about talking with staff (right or wrong) it would create a lot less work. Further I would be glad to have someone like Jappal that will allow people to vent their frustrations in a satisfying way which would mean less work for staff.

I am glad DR has supported Jappal equally up to this point. I never doubted that. Threatening to stop that support just left a bad taste in my mouth. That I did personally dislike. I think you could have just asked him to calm it down without threatening. A LOT and yes I mean A LOT, lol, of people take censorship very seriously. While that's not actually censorship, it's just lack of support which you clearly have the right to, it's still a strong armed way of asking someone not to do something in my opinion. Very political way of trying to get something done in my eye's. I am sure many people will disagree.

I should also say it's a shame the loudest people that have similar issues handle their complaints in a way that might take away from the quiet majority of the people with these "issues." People that might have more valid and well thought out complaints. It's all a catch 22 though to me. Those quiet people do not complain because they do not think you give a crap about them.

I really hope you are right about there being no favoritism. If there is I am so screwed now hahahaha.

Thanks for listening

(Wow if you read all that I am impressed. I am not sure I have another response in me though)
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 09:28 PM CST
The favoritism accusations were very upsetting to myself and Ignifera. It was bad enough hearing it float around in game, hearing it broadcasted was much worse.

It's a triple whammy; people think the GMs are corrupt, people think we're corrupt, and our contributions to the game are belittled when people assume the attention we DO get is because of OOC relationships and not because we've spent the last 4-5 years roleplaying consistently and constantly. We're afraid accusations like this will make people less inclined to RP with us, players and GMs both.

I really wish the people who'd started these rumors would have whispered to us and asked what was going on, instead of making baseless assumptions.

I apologize if this post sounds whiny, I've been debating saying something all day and I finally decided I just needed to get it off my chest. The whole experience has left a very bad taste in our mouths.

That said I'm not blaming Jappal for the choices he made or holding it against him, and I'll continue to listen to DR radio and offer my opinions as long as I'm welcome. I disagree with most everything he says, but so far he's been pretty good about sharing that fact when I speak up, or when anyone else speaks up.

I would encourage anyone to tune in for a few shows and see what they think of it for themselves.

As troublesome as this whole incident has been, I think the amount of passion people have for this game is evident and that, overall, is a good thing.

(and reposted to clarify again, apparently I'm a rotten typist today)

Sebastienne is wanted for murder, endangering the public, forbidden practices, and Crimes against the State.
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 10:09 PM CST
well to be honest....in Solomans own words

>>The simple fact of the matter is, the people who come to the conventions and gatherings are some of our most hard-code, die-hard customers. Yes, they're going to show up at events because they're involved in the game enough that they will buy a ticket. Yes, they're going to show up at merchants because they're playing the game enough to know when they're around, or as I said, buying tickets to events where merchants are present. Yes, they're going to get alterations at events because they're logged in a LOT and eventually, they're going to get picked for one of the lists they sign up for. Yes, they're going to win games because they're logged in a LOT and playing the games a LOT. Yes, they're going to be involved in lots of events because they're logged in a LOT and very few trouble-makers are hard-code, die-hard enough to show up at SimuCon (or are simply told not to show up or they'll be escorted off the property). Yes, they're going to be picked for court positions because they play a LOT and they're excellent roleplayers.<<

So basically you're saying that, A the players with the money to attend the cons, B the people with more free time then other players and C if I don't attend cons and have 20 hours a day to be IG, I am not hard core enough to qualify. So the better off financially, more free time having, able to travel the country people are more deserving of alterers, court posts, and events, then say the few hundred other players.

Sounds rather elitist to me.....pay more, travel more, ignore your real life for the game and thou shall be rewarded more.
To hell with folks like me that have been out of work due to the economy, barely make my monthly payment, and spend most of my daily life taking care of my family. We don't need to enjoy the game as much as them.
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 10:18 PM CST
>>pay more, travel more, ignore your real life for the game and thou shall be rewarded more.

Well, yeah.

If you have more time/money to invest in a game, the more bang you get out of it.

When I was in high school I had more time to play than when I was in college, and now that I'm out of college and in "the real world" I have something in the middle, but I choose not to what with having a wife/cats/ps3/etc to also focus as well.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 10:20 PM CST
sorry for the double post, but as far as being picked for more lists......yeah...14 years playing DR, still have not been picked for an alter...I had to win a voucher that guarenteed an alter for my first one last week. Very fair system.
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 10:23 PM CST
<<<Well, yeah.

If you have more time/money to invest in a game, the more bang you get out of it.>>>

so their money paid every month is better then mine? seems to me if everyone pays for a chevy, everyone should get a chevy.....not some getting Porches and others Yugos
Re: DrRadio :Nudge:: 11/10/2010 10:25 PM CST

Once again, this is NOT the conflicts folder.

Find a constructive way to express yourselves, or find something else to do.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 10:33 PM CST
Nijara says to Craxor, "You will not get any work from me this festival due to your rudeness."

A start to getting picked from a merchant's list is to not irritate the merchant before you can be added to the list and selected.
Re: DrRadio 11/10/2010 10:35 PM CST
should add some context to that one champ.....Craxor joined the list....was told it was the wrong list and he was rude for jumping the gun....why there would be a list there that didn't apply to the alterer working is just stupid and so is posting part of a fact.....
Prev_page Previous 1