Prev_page Previous 1 3
Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 03:44 AM CDT
I just rolled out a selection of updates to how the Teaching system works. This is live in all instances and includes:

1) Teaching in Combat has been overhauled. Anyone can now teach the following skills in combat: All weapon skills, all armor skills, targetted magic, debilitation, warding, evasion, and tactics. In addition Barbarians, Paladins and Thieves can teach their respective guild skills in combat. The rate of learning will depend on the lore skill set placement of the teacher (ie: Empaths/Traders/Bards can teach in combat far better than Barbarians and Rangers).

2) Barbarians can now only teach & listen to other Barbarians for the following skills: Inner Fire, Augmentation, Debilitation and Warding.

3) Thieves can now only teach & learn from other Thieves for the following skills: Inner Magic, Augmentation, Debilitation and Utility.

4) Barbarians, Thieves and Commoners cannot teach or listen to magic skills they cannot utilize.

5) Visibility checks have been revisited, particularly with respect to invisibility. The following skills do not require the teacher to be visible: Perception, Stealth, Thievery, Backstab, Scouting.

6) How Charisma influences teaching has been revamped. It is now a linear function instead of a LN mechanic, and pure upside. The net result will be far more forgiving at low ranks but somewhat less effective at extreme ranks. Wisdom also plays a small role now.

7) How Intelligence influences listening has been revamped. It is now a linear function instead of a LN mechanic, and pure upside. The net result will be far more forgiving at low ranks but somewhat less effective at extreme ranks. Charisma also plays a small role now.

8) Faenella's Grace actually works now (There were no less than three separate bugs preventing it's proper function).

I also fixed a smattering of other minor bugs that I tripped across while in the code, but those should be functionally invisible.

Many thanks to Grejuva for wading into the death swamp that is Teaching code.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 03:49 AM CDT
<<3) Thieves can now only teach & learn from other Thieves for the following skills: Inner Magic, Augmentation, Debilitation and Utility.

My first thought when reading this is to ask was this done in such a way as to not out a Thief? E.g. by making it appear closed to non-thieves, or only having it show up in ASSESS TEACH to other thieves, not messaging the whole room when thief listens to or offers to teach another thief, etc.

<<5) Visibility checks have been revisited, particularly with respect to invisibility. The following skills do not require the teacher to be visible: Perception, Stealth, Thievery, Backstab, Scouting.

Love this one.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 03:54 AM CDT
This is a huge nerf to the bard guild. Bards have been able to teach everything in combat forever and this to me was part of the perks as to being in the bard guild. I know that I'll personally be letting my accounts expire after this. I can understand changing certain things for other guilds and letting them teach more, but bards should be able to retain their teaching skills.
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 03:57 AM CDT
<<4) Barbarians, Thieves and Commoners cannot teach or listen to magic skills they cannot utilize.

Oh yeah. And what of Traders? I assume by them being left off of that list that they can learn any magic skill from a class just as though they were a magic user in anticipation of their impending magic user status?

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 04:00 AM CDT
>>4) Barbarians, Thieves and Commoners cannot teach or listen to magic skills they cannot utilize.

I can still listen to a TM class on my Thief. I'm not learning TM from it, and I don't think I'm learning any Scholarship either, but I can still listen.

>>3) Thieves can now only teach & learn from other Thieves for the following skills: Inner Magic, Augmentation, Debilitation and Utility.

:(

ā€œIā€™m sorry that your mystical, godlike powers do not instantly work as you would like them to.ā€
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 04:02 AM CDT
>>My first thought when reading this is to ask was this done in such a way as to not out a Thief?

>teach & learn

I worded it that way intentionally. That's all I'm going to say about that (and that's nothing new).

As for teaching not outting you... well, that's your problem to figure out as part of your cover.

>>And what of Traders?

They were accounted for. I didn't include it in the notes as sort of an easter egg. You'll see. (It's nothing worth hunting down if you don't happen to play a Trader).

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 04:05 AM CDT
>>I can still listen to a TM class on my Thief. I'm not learning TM from it, and I don't think I'm learning any Scholarship either, but I can still listen.

I was trying not to out this for people who don't know about it. But, yes, that's intended. You should be learning Scholarship however.

There was also one other change I forgot to include in the notes. I removed the location based bonuses to Teaching. They were extremely outdated, mostly ineffective, and extremely random how they were applied.

-Raesh

Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 04:06 AM CDT
<<>teach & learn

Heh. Totally read that as listen. Usually I catch stuff like that.

<<As for teaching not outting you... well, that's your problem to figure out as part of your cover.

Fair enough. But I don't play a thief, so I'll just leave it at that.

<<They were accounted for. I didn't include it in the notes as sort of an easter egg. You'll see. (It's nothing worth hunting down if you don't happen to play a Trader).

Logging in my trader now. ;)

Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 04:13 AM CDT
<<Traders and magic teaching easter egg.

Heh. That's humorous. Especially when taught Lunar Magic. Good to know they weren't forgotten.

Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 07:13 AM CDT
<<This is a huge nerf to the bard guild. Bards have been able to teach everything in combat forever and this to me was part of the perks as to being in the bard guild.>>

Have you tried teaching something different in combat to verify that it doesn't work? The announcement didn't explicitly say that the ability of Bards to teach anything and Empaths to teach First Aid in combat was removed, so if they no longer can I'd regard it as a bug or oversight rather than assuming the worst. That would, in fact, be disappointing if it was an intentional removal though...First Aid was my go-to class in such situations since it was the thing the student wouldn't already be learning anyway.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 07:24 AM CDT
Bards can still teach anything. The change just made combat skills teachable in combat. It isn't a bard nerf at all.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 07:53 AM CDT
> That would, in fact, be disappointing if it was an intentional removal though...

It was.

> Bards can still teach anything.

No they can't. See: http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Bards/Bugs%20-%20Bards/view/1328
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 08:38 AM CDT
Well, that's really rather unfortunate. At least Lore primaries got a bit of a nod with the combat teaching rates, I suppose.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 09:26 AM CDT
<Bards can still teach anything. The change just made combat skills teachable in combat. It isn't a bard nerf at all.

Unfortunately this is not true. This change has definitely restricted, or nerfed as we say, a Bard's ability to teach in combat. For as long as I can remember, this has been one of the perks of being in the Bard guild. Maybe it was unintentional, maybe not. Hopefully we can get some verification on this?
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 09:49 AM CDT
So much for teaching a Commoner in preparation of being a Necromancer...at least as far as magic skills go.

Arcana appears to be the only magic skill I can teach my Commoner now.
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 10:05 AM CDT
<Hopefully we can get some verification on this?

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Bards/Bugs%20-%20Bards/view/1329

Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 10:10 AM CDT

(crossposted from me putting it in the wrong folder)

>>2) Barbarians can now only teach & listen to other Barbarians for the following skills: Inner Fire, Augmentation, Debilitation and Warding.

I'm curious here. Why? I understand the abilities function differently for different guilds, but sometimes realism or reason is sacrificed in exchange for playability. This, in my opinion, is excessive and completely unnecessary.

And, to clarify, this is coming from someone that has maybe listened to a couple debilitation/warding classes in the last near 150 circles. It is not a method I utilize for learning, but forcibly taking this option away seems a bit much.
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 10:17 AM CDT
Skinning, like stealth, is almost directly related to combat. I don't remember scraping hides ever teaching enough skinning to make it a worth-while training practice. Yet, we cannot teach skinning in combat either.

As for taking away the ability for Bards to teach everything in combat, I can understand why, although it is a slap in the face we must take with a smile. Bummer.

Maybe a better approach to it would have been to treat it as a guild ability, and scale the difficulty of teaching certain skills in combat, relying on a combination of stats, skills, circle, skill group(primary, secondary, tert) etc...
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 11:05 AM CDT
I have to say, as a Bard this is a big disappointment. I understand the reasons, but still. Teaching in combat was one of those things that made me feel really... special and useful? And it felt appropriate to Bards, as the Lore primary "combat" guild. Are there any plans for future Bard-related combat teaching abilities?

On a different note, just out of curiosity, were there any changes to the "same race" or "same guild" bonuses to teaching? Or were those just a myth?
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 12:00 PM CDT
<I have to say, as a Bard this is a big disappointment

Disappointment is an understatement. Granted we have recently seen an increase in the player base due to the F2P accounts. But taking an ability away from those customers who have paid and played for nearly 20 years, with no warning, and a half arsed explanation stating what all the classes can now do and just leaving out the part about what has been taken away because they KNOW we don't like it is MORE than a disappointment. Unfortunately, I've had a couple friends already up and cancel multiple accounts because of this change. You win some (free accounts) and you lose some (paid accounts).

Is it really worth it?
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 12:21 PM CDT
>>Is it really worth it?

I doubt we could realistically retain any customer who, though they weather 3.0 and 3.1, managed to pick this particular hill to die on.

Godspeed to your friends.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Calvino Italo
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 12:33 PM CDT

>>I doubt we could realistically retain any customer who, though they weather 3.0 and 3.1, managed to pick this particular hill to die on.

You trivialize the depth of the current issue, which I can understand. However, 3.0 was a necessary hill, a major hurdle towards the game moving forwards. This feels like someone was just sitting around and decided 'You know what? Let's make teaching suck more.'

I would like to reiterate the point that some sacrifices in logic have always been made for the sake of playability. I still would like to hear on the rational justification of the NMU limitations to warding and debilitation. Because, at what point should it stop? Maybe all elemental magic bases should be unique as well? Life mages can only learn specific magic skills from other life mages, any other magic class from another school will teach sorcery, and so on.
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 12:42 PM CDT
>>You trivialize the depth of the current issue, which I can understand. However, 3.0 was a necessary hill, a major hurdle towards the game moving forwards. This feels like someone was just sitting around and decided 'You know what? Let's make teaching suck more.'

I trivialize more out of humor than anything. The response to "slap in the face" and "my friends and their multiple accounts" is either stony silence or a poke to help moderate the mood.

I get it's a nerf, and that it's unpleasant and that people want to voice their disapproval to try and get it reversed. That's all fine. But the thread as a whole needs to be aware of its tone if it wants any success in doing it. Hysterical posts are very easy to ignore, posts like yours elicit longer responses.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Calvino Italo
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 12:47 PM CDT
Bards have so little, please give them back the ability to teach anything and have "spreading of knowledge" be part of their confluence or spheres or whatever.

- Not a Bard

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 12:50 PM CDT
double post, sorry.

This "spreading of knowledge" thing could lead to some interesting bard things that tie into Bardic Lore.

1) Give Bards a little bardic lore experience whenever teaching (treat it like a cyclic heh, refresh at 5 minutes)

2) If you can hook into the gweth ranges, give them bonuses that decay over time for traveling around to different provinces.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 01:22 PM CDT
>Bards have so little, please give them back the ability to teach anything and have "spreading of knowledge" be part of their confluence or spheres or whatever.

Seems like bards being able to teach things in combat either at a penalty to the teaching rate or having to use bardic lore to compensate, or something, would be fair. Bards need love.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 01:34 PM CDT
>>I trivialize more out of humor than anything. The response to "slap in the face" and "my friends and their multiple accounts" is either stony silence or a poke to help moderate the mood.

I want to just point out I agree with you there. This is being over emotionalized I agree. But, one concern I have, lore terts are already punished on their ability to teach via decreased learning rates of tert skills (resulting in lower scholarship ranks per time invested). Now scaling the effectiveness of those ranks seems a bit excessive.

For my personal stance: if this was an in character change based on reality, it seems like a combat rich guild like barbarians would find it much easier to focus on additional tasks, such as teaching, especially since all we can teach to other guilds are combat skills. But, let's say that is the case. That they have a harder time focusing on that tertiary skillset while engaging their primary and secondary ones actively.

So, by that paradigm, since our lore tert ranks are further weakened when teaching in combat, maybe those survival or armor tert guilds should see their defenses weakened in combat, whilst teaching? It would, following that reality, be much harder for them to focus on their tert skills while instructing students.

To clarify, I think that suggestion is ridiculous, but I think scaling effectiveness of ranks based on skillset is, as well. That whole step into reducing the effectiveness of ranks seems to be an awful slippery slope, and something that never needed to happen to begin with. Dual taxation at it's worst.

And, if anyone would be able, I would still like some clarification on how we're justifying forcing barbs and thieves to only learn debilitation and warding from their own guilds. I don't understand how anyone could have thought this would be a good idea, balance wise.
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 03:18 PM CDT
>>And, if anyone would be able, I would still like some clarification on how we're justifying forcing barbs and thieves to only learn debilitation and warding from their own guilds. I don't understand how anyone could have thought this would be a good idea, balance wise.

You're a barbarian. Learning magic. So you can roar better.

Think about that for a moment.

This change was not about game balance, it was about lore consistency. Magic is, overall, magic. Khri and the Barbarian abilities are their own things. Much like "the guild skill" is mechanically the same thing for all guilds, lore-wise it's completely different. Could we rename Augmentation, Debilitation, Utility and Warding for Barbarians and Thieves? Sure. Do I feel like that's necessary? Not really.

>>But, one concern I have, lore terts are already punished on their ability to teach via decreased learning rates of tert skills (resulting in lower scholarship ranks per time invested). Now scaling the effectiveness of those ranks seems a bit excessive.

This is not unique. Magic primes recover mana faster than magic terts. Armor primes can arm-wear larger shields than armor terts. Lore primes can pick up more careers/hobbies than lore terts.

-Raesh

Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 03:23 PM CDT
>You're a barbarian. Learning magic. So you can roar better.

Would it be better to say 'You're a cook. Learning electrical engineering. So you can make better chocolate'?

Yes, there ARE thermal transfer properties you could potentially use as a chocolate-maker, but they're obscure, arcane, and not particularly relevant.
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 03:28 PM CDT

>>This is not unique. Magic primes recover mana faster than magic terts. Armor primes can arm-wear larger shields than armor terts. Lore primes can pick up more careers/hobbies than lore terts.

Yes it is. This is the first time I can recall ranks actually counting for less. Skillsets and learning rates create the skill differential already. Now you're nailing it in there twice.

>>This change was not about game balance, it was about lore consistency.

Lore and mechanics don't always walk hand in hand. You're pigeonholing a couple guilds into mechanically tougher situations. That seems like a big leap to change without balance in mind, as long as it has been the way it is. While lore is important, so are the mechanics to the people actually playing the game. Sometimes, in all games, some things are overlooked for the sake of playability. This isn't a new concept, even in DR.
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 03:34 PM CDT
>>This is the first time I can recall ranks actually counting for less.

A Paladin/Ranger/(Trader)'s Attunement is worth less than a Cleric/Moon Mage/Warrior Mage's Attunement. It literally does less per point based on skillset, and it has for a long time.

I sometimes contemplate if that's warranted but it certainly exists.

-Armifer
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 03:50 PM CDT
Over emotionalized and dramatic. Sure. Id say it fits quite well myself though. Like when a school yard bully punches you in the face and takes your lunch money... Bummer, nobody likes a bully.

Anyhow, on a more serious note. I've been searching through posts looking for something.... anything.. that indicates this type of change was coming up with respect to the ability of Bards teaching in combat. No fair warnings, you are about to lose a 20 year ability. No requests for suggestions how might we better approach such a change. Nothing at all yet.

Was this intentionally kept quiet in fear of disapproval? Would it have mattered if we disapproved?
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 03:51 PM CDT

Are you talking based on mana regen? or is it actually worth, rank for rank, less in application via power perception and such? And if the only example that can be provided is something questionable in regards as to whether it should even exist, not a real strong case for double-penalizing tert skillsets in both learning rate of the rank, and again in rank application.
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 03:57 PM CDT

so you have a capenter, a plumber, an electrician and a bricklayer. the carpenter, plumber and electrician can all teach each other construction even though their jobs are vastly different, but the bricklayer can only learn from other bricklayers because he uses cement?
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 04:01 PM CDT
>>so you have a capenter, a plumber, an electrician and a bricklayer. the carpenter, plumber and electrician can all teach each other construction even though their jobs are vastly different, but the bricklayer can only learn from other bricklayers because he uses cement?

I don't want an electrician wiring my house who was trained by a bricklayer. I don't know about you.

-Raesh

Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 04:04 PM CDT
Some additional changes:

1) I neglected to include in the initial post that location based bonuses to teaching have been removed. They were extremely inconsistent and poorly implemented anyhow, so I doubt this will have any practical ramifications, but I'm including it for the sake of transparency. (It gave bonuses based off key words in the name of rooms for example...)

2) You can now teach/listen to thievery from hiding without facing criminal charges.

3) FAE was double dipping. It turns out there was a bit of code in the spell itself compensating for the broke code in the core teaching system. I've adjusted the core teaching system so FAE's bonus is stronger, but removed the chance of an instant teaching pulse. This should be an improvement at low levels, about a wash at high levels, and overall result in a more consistent and predictable experience.

-Raesh

Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 04:05 PM CDT
I don't want an electrician wiring my hose at all.

Oh, you said house? I thought you said hose. Nevermind.

ASGM Ricinus
Core, Logistics, Survival
Cleric Advocate
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 04:06 PM CDT
<<so you have a capenter, a plumber, an electrician and a bricklayer. the carpenter, plumber and electrician can all teach each other construction even though their jobs are vastly different, but the bricklayer can only learn from other bricklayers because he uses cement?

That's a horrible analogy.

You have a violinist, a pianist, a flutist, and a painter. The violinist, pianist, and flutist can all teach other how to perfect their artistry even though there are significant differences in the way they produce it, but the painter can only learn from other painters because he uses canvas and paint to produce his artistry not a musical instrument.

Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 04:07 PM CDT

Thealet is 100% correct. And its more than 1 customer. People spend years building characters. Stripping them of years of labor because a GM gets a wild hair is beyond ridiculous. You armifer, ARE WRONG.
Re: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 04:12 PM CDT
Wouldn't be the first time. Uh, what did I do again?

-Armifer
Prev_page Previous 1 3