Prev_page Previous 1
Top-end forging woes 02/24/2016 10:25 PM CST
So this happened yesterday:

Forging: 1750 00.00% clear (0/34)

I thought, I should try a riste.

Hmm... this doesn't look good...

>study book
You scan the riste instructions with a glance and quickly realize the design is far beyond your abilities. (0/5)
You now feel ready to begin the crafting process.
Roundtime: 7 sec.

Decided to have a bard friend hit me with WOTM, then:

First pound:

>pound ingot on anvil with my forging hammer
You realize the riste will not require as much metal as you have, and so you split the ingot and leave the portion you won't be using in your pack. You scoop up the riste with your tongs and heat it over the flames of the forge. Once the metal is glowing hot you place it back upon the anvil and hammer it steadily with your hammer. As the last hammer blow lands a large dent appears in the metal's surface!

Well, that's not good. Let's check the material:

This appears to be a type of refined metal ingot that is masterfully-crafted.

You are certain that the metal in the steel ingot has a quality of 99, placing it at 'extremely pure' on the official Trader's Scale.

The following skills are currently under the influence of a modifier: + Forging

So it turned out like this:

A marred steel riste is a heavy blunt melee-ranged weapon.
A marred steel riste trains the large blunt skill.
You are certain that it could do:
no (0/26) puncture damage
dismal (1/26) slice damage
dismal (1/26) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
no (0/26) electric damage
The riste is terribly (1/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.
You are certain that the riste is terribly (1/17) balanced and is terribly (1/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
A marred steel riste is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.
A marred steel riste trains the large edged skill.
dismal (1/26) puncture damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
You are certain that the riste is terribly (1/17) balanced and is terribly (1/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
A marred steel riste is a two-handed blunt melee-ranged weapon.
A marred steel riste trains the two-handed blunt skill.
poor (2/26) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
You are certain that the riste is extremely weak and easily damaged, and is in pristine condition (98-100%).
The riste is made with metal.
You are certain that the metal in the riste has a quality of 99, placing it at 'extremely pure' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the riste has a hardness of 85, placing it at 'very hard' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the riste has a durability of 60, placing it at 'good durability' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the riste has a workability of 50, placing it at 'of about average difficulty to work with' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the riste has an electrical resistance of 30, placing it at 'a great conductor of electricity' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the riste has a thermal resistance of 50, placing it at 'good at transferring heat and cold' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the riste has a physical resistance of 85, placing it at 'exceptionally good at repelling physical blows' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the riste weighs exactly 45 stones.
You are certain that the riste is worth exactly 1202 Dokoras, 1666 Kronars, or 1333 Lirums.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.
R>

Wonder how it analyzes?

It was made by someone with an amount of skill far below notice compared to your own.

This is with refined (99 purity) MCS, auction tools (mint condition), WOTM, and capped forging.

Could someone maybe have a look at this, please?

Thanks, ~P

Information for those new to DragonRealms: The Fallen: http://www.tinyurl.com/DR-The-Fallen
Re: Top-end forging woes 02/24/2016 10:32 PM CST
Some templates have difficulties greater than the skill cap and require the techniques in order to bring them within range. Do you have the advanced swappable weapon design tech?
Re: Top-end forging woes 02/24/2016 10:42 PM CST
It was stated a VERY long time ago that techs wouldn't be needed, other than the rare-metal, tempering, etc. techs.

~P

Information for those new to DragonRealms: The Fallen: http://www.tinyurl.com/DR-The-Fallen
Re: Top-end forging woes 02/24/2016 10:45 PM CST

UPDATE (using darkstone):

Same study:
>study my weaponsmithing book
You scan the riste instructions with a glance and quickly realize the design is far beyond your abilities. (0/5)
Roundtime: 4 sec.

>appraise my riste careful
A darkstone riste is a heavy blunt melee-ranged weapon.
A darkstone riste trains the large blunt skill.
somewhat fair (4/26) slice damage
very heavy (10/26) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
The riste is soundly (8/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.
You are certain that the riste is poorly (3/17) balanced and is soundly (8/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
A darkstone riste is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.
A darkstone riste trains the large edged skill.
low (3/26) puncture damage
very heavy (10/26) slice damage
fair (5/26) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
The riste is poorly (3/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.
You are certain that the riste is decently (6/17) balanced and is fairly (5/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
A darkstone riste is a two-handed blunt melee-ranged weapon.
A darkstone riste trains the two-handed blunt skill.
fair (5/26) slice damage
severe (13/26) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
The riste is very well (10/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.
You are certain that the riste is poorly (3/17) balanced and is soundly (8/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
You are certain that the riste is marginally vulnerable to damage (8/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).
You are certain that the metal in the riste has a quality of 99, placing it at 'extremely pure' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the riste has a hardness of 85, placing it at 'very hard' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the riste has a durability of 50, placing it at 'decent durability' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the riste has a workability of 75, placing it at 'rather easy to work with' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the riste has an electrical resistance of 70, placing it at 'not a very good conductor of electricity' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the riste has a thermal resistance of 35, placing it at 'great at transferring heat and cold' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the riste has a physical resistance of 75, placing it at 'very good at repelling physical blows' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the riste is worth exactly 17363 Dokoras, 24062 Kronars, or 19250 Lirums.
R>

>analyze my riste
You analyze every minute detail of the riste and smile knowingly to yourself.
This appears to be a type of finished metal swappable mixed weapon that is masterfully-crafted.
The riste is an extremely difficult piece to make.
It was made by someone whose skill was well beneath your own.
About 9 volume of metal was used in this item's construction.
The metal appears to be composed of: 100.00% darkstone.
You recognize this work as your own.
Roundtime: 10 sec.

Re: Top-end forging woes 02/24/2016 10:46 PM CST
Darkstone has workability 75. MCS has workability 50. You have enough ranks without the tech for the easier darkstone, but not the harder MCS.
Re: Top-end forging woes 02/24/2016 10:51 PM CST

To clarify the bit about techs:

It was stated that 1500 would be enough forging to complete EVERY pattern with no techs.

Unfortunately, I am unable to find the post that mentioned it.

(A GOOD forum search would just be dandy.)

Anyhow, with WOTM up I was also unable to complete the riste in MCS.

~P

Re: Top-end forging woes 02/24/2016 10:55 PM CST
>>It was stated that 1500 would be enough forging to complete EVERY pattern with no techs.

I can't recall if that was said pre-ristes, if that factored in a specific workability, etc.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Top-end forging woes 02/24/2016 11:02 PM CST
<<It was stated that 1500 would be enough forging to complete EVERY pattern with no techs.

With high workability materials. There was never a guarantee to be able to create everything without techniques.

<<Anyhow, with WOTM up I was also unable to complete the riste in MCS.

Techs are much, much larger skill boosts than buffs.
Re: Top-end forging woes 02/24/2016 11:05 PM CST
>>I can't recall if that was said pre-ristes, if that factored in a specific workability, etc.

I can't either, which is why I'm not throwing a tantrum about it.

If the issue IS techs, I'd suggest that maybe the tech slot cutoff should be FAR higher than 1200 ranks.

~P

Re: Top-end forging woes 02/25/2016 12:02 AM CST
I was always under the impression that techs were shortcuts, that they'd let you make things earlier than normal. If that's not true, and techs are required, then the issue with respecs and careers/hobbies is even more troubling, to me.

I would think that with capped skill you should be able to make everything in the game with MCS. If you want to require techs to make some things with rare metals, that's fine. But if techs are required, then careers and hobbies are even more vital.
Re: Top-end forging woes 02/25/2016 06:09 AM CST
Personally, I have never heard the line about 1500 in forging will allow you to craft any template masterfully in 50 workability metals.

Where you read it from (likely) is here: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Crafting#Difficulty

The ranges here are a rough estimate, but far from perfectly accurate. Once upon a time, they provided false hope for me, but I have since hardened my heart to them.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Top-end forging woes 02/25/2016 09:59 AM CST
>>I was always under the impression that techs were shortcuts, that they'd let you make things earlier than normal. If that's not true, and techs are required, then the issue with respecs and careers/hobbies is even more troubling, to me.

Some techs boost your skill, some unlock abilities.

I don't think being able to make everything without techs (let alone a career/hobby) is bad. In fact, I think in order for the "make X better" techs to matter in the long run, you shouldn't just be able to "age" out of them (IMO, like you can with the magic mastery feats).

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Top-end forging woes 02/25/2016 10:01 AM CST

The far below your skill part makes me think it might be a roll over skill bug, from being boosted too far when you are already at cap, just my first thought.
Re: Top-end forging woes 02/25/2016 01:09 PM CST
>It was stated a VERY long time ago that techs wouldn't be needed, other than the rare-metal, tempering, etc. techs.

N...ooo. From the beginging, we've heard basically the opposite about techniques and specialization? There's lots of posts about how techniques/specilization won't be required to train the skill 0-cap (with the caveat that it won't be optimal), but especially where swappable weapons are concerned there's a pretty deafening chorus that you won't be able to do this in 50-workability material as a "dabbler."

Some relevent posts were likely never archived and have now fallen off the player-visible boards, but

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Post:Creation_Systems:_Overview_-_01/16/2008_-_22:00

"The goal of craft slots is to keep the system as open as possible to everyone while still encouraging crafters to pick and stick with a focus within each skill. There's nothing prohibiting dabbling or branching out at all, but nobody is ever going to be the best at everything. It simply will not be possible."

That was the first announcement post about the mech split. The very first. More from it:

"As a crafter reaches the pinnacle of their craft, it's going to be more and more difficult to support dabbling if they want to maintain self-sufficiency. Of course, they can dabble all they want if they are willing to outsource for the higher end pieces, or if they don't really care about the high end stuff and just want to be able to handle the basics."

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Post:Question_About_Guild_Bonus_Techniques_-_12/9/2010_-_15:31:45

"Auction/Quest/Loot recipes are planned, and those may offer difficulties beyond what is currently available - beyond what anyone can craft with skill alone, or they may outright require a technique to understand. Ideally we would like to cater to both the casual player where techniques offer a distinct advantage, and the hardcore gamer who doesn't want to outgrow everything."

Almost the entire "cross craft skills" thread, which touched on swappable weapons:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Post:Cross_craft_skills_-_06/13/2011_-_11:18
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Post:Cross_craft_skills_-_06/13/2011_-_18:50

"The only people capable of forging swappable weapons easily, will be those who have mastered the rest of the weapon categories. I think it takes all 12 techniques to get through the advanced swappable weapons, meaning you'd have to commit entirely w/o taking it as a career. "

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Post:Cross_craft_skills_-_06/14/2011_-_09:56

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Top-end forging woes 02/25/2016 07:33 PM CST
>>The far below your skill part makes me think it might be a roll over skill bug, from being boosted too far when you are already at cap, just my first thought.

That was my thought, as well.

~P

Re: Top-end forging woes 02/25/2016 07:40 PM CST
>>"The only people capable of forging swappable weapons easily, will be those who have mastered the rest of the weapon categories. I think it takes all 12 techniques to get through the advanced swappable weapons, meaning you'd have to commit entirely w/o taking it as a career. "

Actually, counting pre-reqs for swappables, it seems more like 25 techs, which is the entirety of slots in 'general' and in a 'career'.

Unfortunately, I chose poorly.

>craft
You recall the crafting techniques you have learned.
You have chosen Blacksmithing and Armorsmithing as your Careers. You have chosen Weaponsmithing as your Hobby.
In the skilled trade of Forging, you can learn 0 techniques from any discipline, 0 techniques from the Blacksmithing Discipline, 2 techniques from the Armorsmithing Discipline and 0 techniques from the Weaponsmithing Discipline.

My overall point is this:

A buff is capped at 10% of total ranks, which would give me 1925 effective ranks.

This post states that hobbies are a 'tiny' boost, and careers are 'small': https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Post:Technique_slot_question_-_07/02/2011_-_20:29

I'm not sure what measurement that is, but I don't think ANY template/pattern/whatever should exceed 1925 + whatever 'tiny' and 'small' are.

I'll be forgetting and learning techs to see what I can do in a bit, just to gather more data.

Until then,

~P

Re: Top-end forging woes 02/25/2016 08:00 PM CST
But hey, we totally don't need the ability to forget a hobby or career because it's such a simple system that's fully implemented and developed.
Re: Top-end forging woes 02/25/2016 10:55 PM CST
Okay, a little more than 700 plat later, I find that techs are neither 'tiny' nor 'small' in the boost you get.

This was done without buffs, 99 purity ingot, auction-quality tools.

Used the following techs:

>craft weaponsmithing
From the weaponsmithing crafting discipline you have been trained in Basic Bladed Weapon Design, Proficient Bladed Weapon Design, Advanced Bladed Weapon Design, Expert Bladed Weapon Design, Basic Blunt Weapon Design, Proficient Blunt Weapon Design, Advanced Blunt Weapon Design, Expert Blunt Weapon Design, Basic Polearm Weapon Design, Advanced Polearm Weapon Design, Simple Martial Weapon Design, Complex Martial Weapon Design, Advanced Swappable Weapon Design, Expert Swappable Weapon Design, Weaponcraft Metallurgy, Weaponcraft Theory, Weaponcraft Acumen, Metal Weapon Tempering, and Rare-Metal Weapon Tempering.
>

R>analyze my riste
This appears to be a type of finished metal swappable mixed weapon that is masterfully-crafted.
The metal appears to be composed of: 100.00% medium carbon steel.
R>appraise my riste careful
A steel riste is a heavy blunt melee-ranged weapon.
A steel riste trains the large blunt skill.
somewhat fair (4/26) slice damage
very heavy (10/26) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
The riste is soundly (8/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.
A steel riste is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.
A steel riste trains the large edged skill.
low (3/26) puncture damage
very heavy (10/26) slice damage
fair (5/26) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
The riste is poorly (3/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.
You are certain that the riste is decently (6/17) balanced and is fairly (5/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
A steel riste is a two-handed blunt melee-ranged weapon.
A steel riste trains the two-handed blunt skill.
fair (5/26) slice damage
severe (13/26) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
The riste is very well (10/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.
You are certain that the riste is of average construction (9/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).
You are certain that the metal in the riste has a durability of 60, placing it at 'good durability' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the riste has a workability of 50, placing it at 'of about average difficulty to work with' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the riste has an electrical resistance of 30, placing it at 'a great conductor of electricity' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the riste has a thermal resistance of 50, placing it at 'good at transferring heat and cold' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the riste has a physical resistance of 85, placing it at 'exceptionally good at repelling physical blows' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the riste is worth exactly 3720 Dokoras, 5156 Kronars, or 4125 Lirums.
R>

So there you have it.

It can be done in steel, but since weaponsmithing (for me) is a hobby and not a career, I cannot hone or balance it with my current techs.

I'm not willing to attempt it with rare metals at this point, simply because I just don't have a lot.

This has been an interesting bit of discovery for me, hope others following along have learned, as well.

Take care,

~P

Re: Top-end forging woes 02/25/2016 11:36 PM CST
Someone (Thanks Aeoa) gave me a mixed haralun ingot last night, decided to try.

I purified the ingot:

>analyze my ingot
You analyze every minute detail of the haralun ingot and smile knowingly to yourself.
The ingot is a very easy piece to make.
About 12 volume of metal was used in this item's construction.
The metal appears to be composed of: 9.30% oravir, 23.26% platinum, and 67.44% haralun.
You find it impossible to identify who crafted this item.

Got a WOTM buff (likely NOT capped).

Studied my instructions:

>study my weaponsmithing book
You scan the riste instructions with a glance and completely understand all facets of the design. (5/5)
Roundtime: 5 sec.

And first pound....

>pound ingot on anvil with my forging hammer
You realize the riste will not require as much metal as you have, and so you split the ingot and leave the portion you won't be using in your pack.
Following solid heating in the forge, you carefully fold the glowing red metal back onto itself and hammer it until both ends are fused. Suddenly the hammer lands awry, cracking the metal and sending sparks flying!
Roundtime: 9 sec.

Result:

>analyze my riste
This appears to be a type of finished metal swappable mixed weapon that is of dismal quality.
It was made by someone with an amount of skill far below notice compared to your own.
The metal appears to be composed of: 9.30% oravir, 23.26% platinum, and 67.44% haralun.

>appraise my riste careful
A shattered haralun riste is a heavy blunt melee-ranged weapon.
A shattered haralun riste trains the large blunt skill.
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
A shattered haralun riste is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.
A shattered haralun riste trains the large edged skill.
poor (2/26) slice damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
A shattered haralun riste is a two-handed blunt melee-ranged weapon.
A shattered haralun riste trains the two-handed blunt skill.
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
The riste is dismally (2/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.
You are certain that the riste is extremely weak and easily damaged, and is in pristine condition (98-100%).
You are certain that the metal in the riste has a hardness of 95, placing it at 'absurdly hard' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the riste has a workability of 20, placing it at 'difficulty to work with' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the riste has an electrical resistance of 70, placing it at 'not a very good conductor of electricity' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the riste has a thermal resistance of 75, placing it at 'not very good at transferring heat and cold' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the riste has a physical resistance of 80, placing it at 'exceptionally good at repelling physical blows' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the riste weighs exactly 68 stones.
You are certain that the riste is worth exactly 78012 Dokoras, 108110 Kronars, or 86488 Lirums.

I still STRONGLY disagree with needing someone else to buff me to gain a positive result with rare metals.

Capped skills plus techs really should be enough.

~P

Re: Top-end forging woes 02/26/2016 05:49 AM CST
>> I find that techs are neither 'tiny' nor 'small' in the boost you get.<<

Yup. They make a huge difference. We've known about techs for a while over here in prime! :P

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Top-end forging woes 02/26/2016 05:55 AM CST
To learn more about techs and their various uses in forging, I recommend:

CRAFTING SOCIAL: The first and third Monday of every month at 11:00 PM Eastern -- all crafters and aspiring crafters are invited to set aside their tools, stop slaving over a hot forge and join the Mentor Society for a biweekly Crafting Social - artisans and beginners from all crafts are welcome. This social is held just outside the Crossing Forging Society.

Disclaimer: This is in Prime.
Re: Top-end forging woes 02/26/2016 02:39 PM CST
I, too, have known about techs, but I did most of my work orders in blacksmithing.

>read
You open your logbook and sort through its contents.
This logbook is not currently tracking any work orders.
This logbook has been used to complete:
15 Easy, 1297 Challenging and 29645 Hard Blacksmithing work orders.
0 Easy, 0 Challenging and 819 Hard Armorsmithing work orders.
7 Easy, 5613 Challenging and 16 Hard Weaponsmithing work orders.
>

I was just under the impression that techs wouldn't matter as much at the top end.

Whether I misread or misunderstood is on me, but my point still stands.

I have the proper techs now, and I STILL cannot successfully craft a rare-metal riste.

~P

Re: Top-end forging woes 02/26/2016 05:00 PM CST
Do you have a career or hobby in weaponsmithing?

Re: Top-end forging woes 02/26/2016 05:04 PM CST
>>Do you have a career or hobby in weaponsmithing?

Yes, I put my 'craft' output a few posts above.

I have careers in blacksmithing and armorsmithing, hobby is weaponsmithing.

~P

Re: Top-end forging woes 02/26/2016 05:10 PM CST
Yeah maybe it takes the career to pull off the haralun.

Re: Top-end forging woes 02/26/2016 06:06 PM CST
BTW, did you ever try forging an extremely difficult blacksmithing pattern (one that you have techs for) out of haralun? You can also test with platinum since it has 20 workability.

Re: Top-end forging woes 03/14/2016 01:19 AM CDT
If it makes you feel better, I don't think even a career from a non-career would let you turn a dismal quality item into a masterful quality item, all else being equal.

It took me a tad over 1000 ranks, with EVERYTHING in my favor (techs, career, material, tools, and capped WotM cast on me) before I could mastercraft 20 workability at Tier 10. Which has a WO difficulty at roughly 600 ranks. Extrapolate to Tier 12 at well over 1000 ranks and you get numbers that are simply impossible.

The tier and material combination is just flat out impossible to mastercraft. I think like 2500-3000 ranks for Tier 12 at 10-20 workabilities.

I'd be highly interested to see what you get with high carbon steel (35 workability) at Tier 12.

As Squanto said, you should try testing pieces out of pure platinum for test purposes.

Kaeta Airtag

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Top-end forging woes 03/14/2016 12:27 PM CDT
No, doesn't make me feel better.

I finally took the time today to move techs around.

The basics:

Forging: 1750 00.00% clear (0/34)

>craft blacksmithing
From the blacksmithing crafting discipline you have been trained in Basic Metal Smelting, Proficient Metal Refining, Expert Metal Reclamation, Master Metallurgy, Basic Tool Repair, Advanced Tool Repair, Tool Tempering, Basic Forging Design, Proficient Forging Design, Basic Engineering Design, Proficient Engineering Design, Basic Outfitting Design, Proficient Outfitting Design, Basic Alchemy Design, Proficient Alchemy Design, Expert Tool Design, Master Tool Design, Utility Forging, Decorative Forging, Maker Mark Design, and Proper Forging Tool Care.

>analyze my ingot
You analyze every minute detail of the platinum ingot and smile knowingly to yourself.
The ingot is a very easy piece to make.
About 114 volume of metal was used in this item's construction.
The metal appears to be composed of: 100.00% platinum.
You find it impossible to identify who crafted this item.

The pattern/template:

>read book
-= Chapter 5, Page 14: Instructions for crafting a trapezoidal wire sieve =-
A trapezoidal wire sieve is a craftable item in the Forging society under the Blacksmithing crafting discipline. This is considered to be an extremely difficult piece to make, though knowledge of the Proficient Alchemy Design technique will be beneficial to the crafter.
This crafting tool derives its potency from the material's hardness and weight (harder is better, lower is better).
This item is listed as a "finished metal alchemy tool" ingredient type and is created using a forging hammer, some tongs, some metalworking oil and a metal anvil with forge. A crafter may also find it helpful to have a shovel and a bellows on hand.
A list of ingredients is provided:
(1) refined metal ingot (3 volume)
>

The finished product:

>appraise my sieve careful
The wire sieve is made with metal.
You are certain that the metal in the wire sieve has a quality of 99, placing it at 'extremely pure' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the wire sieve has a hardness of 20, placing it at 'very soft' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the wire sieve has a durability of 15, placing it at 'dismal durability' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the wire sieve has a workability of 20, placing it at 'difficulty to work with' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the wire sieve has an electrical resistance of 30, placing it at 'a great conductor of electricity' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the wire sieve has a thermal resistance of 10, placing it at 'incredible at transferring heat and cold' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the wire sieve has a physical resistance of 20, placing it at 'weak at repelling physical blows' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the wire sieve weighs exactly 27 stones.
You are certain that the wire sieve is worth exactly 48483 Kronars, 38787 Lirums, or 34985 Dokoras.

>analyze my sieve
You analyze every minute detail of the wire sieve and smile knowingly to yourself.
This appears to be a crafting tool and it is in pristine condition (98-100%).
Used to filter and strain components during alchemical creation.
The workmanship is of dismal quality.
Assessing the sieve's durability, you determine it is extremely weak and easily damaged (1/18).
About 3 volume of metal was used in this item's construction.
The metal appears to be composed of: 100.00% platinum.
This tool appears to be extremely ineffective (3/11) at increasing crafting speed.

So there it is.

~P

Re: Top-end forging woes 03/14/2016 12:34 PM CDT
I failed to include this in 'The Basics':

>craft
You recall the crafting techniques you have learned.
You have chosen Blacksmithing and Armorsmithing as your Careers. You have chosen Weaponsmithing as your Hobby.
In the skilled trade of Forging, you can learn 6 techniques from any discipline, 0 techniques from the Blacksmithing Discipline, 2 techniques from the Armorsmithing Discipline and 1 techniques from the Weaponsmithing Discipline.
In the skilled trade of Engineering, you can learn 0 techniques from any discipline, 0 techniques from the Tinkering Discipline, 0 techniques from the Shaping Discipline and 0 techniques from the Carving Discipline.
In the skilled trade of Outfitting, you can learn 0 techniques from any discipline, 0 techniques from the Jewelry making Discipline, 0 techniques from the Tailoring Discipline and 1 techniques from the Artistry Discipline.
In the skilled trade of Alchemy, you can learn 0 techniques from any discipline, 0 techniques from the Remedies Discipline, 0 techniques from the Poisons Discipline and 0 techniques from the Cooking Discipline.
In the skilled trade of Enchanting, you can learn 0 techniques from any discipline, 0 techniques from the Artificing Discipline, 0 techniques from the Binding Discipline and 0 techniques from the Invoking Discipline.
>

~P

Re: Top-end forging woes 03/14/2016 08:51 PM CDT
"The goal of craft slots is to keep the system as open as possible to everyone while still encouraging crafters to pick and stick with a focus within each skill. There's nothing prohibiting dabbling or branching out at all, but nobody is ever going to be the best at everything. It simply will not be possible."

Techniques completely matter. It was never intended that you'd out-skill techniques to the point they become completely useless/redundant. That is so often the case with games today. Your choices don't matter because in X ranks you'll be able to do it anyways.

For that matter it is completely impossible to enhance items without techniques. As more enhancements/materials are added, more techniques will be added (and potentially new ways to earn techniques).

From what I can tell nothing is acting up here....

Oh, and it is likely a technique will be added to every Discipline to substantially reduce the penalty from using low-workability materials.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Top-end forging woes 07/10/2016 11:21 AM CDT
Stated by Pelic at the end of his Haralun riste attempt:

"I still STRONGLY disagree with needing someone else to buff me to gain a positive result with rare metals.

Capped skills plus techs really should be enough."

If you look above in the thread, you'll also see that while he might not have the career, he does have Weaponsmithing as a hobby... and he listed his techniques... which include EVERY SINGLE ONE NECESSARY, including both of the swappable techniques. The result of it was... that he still was unable to craft an effective haralun riste, despite maxing the skill and having the required techniques.

Basically, he just proved that it's impossible to masterfully-craft a haralun riste. ...that's just disappointing.
Re: Top-end forging woes 07/10/2016 04:25 PM CDT

A hobby isn't as much of a boost as a career is. I don't know that that's the problem, but it could be.
Re: Top-end forging woes 07/10/2016 07:57 PM CDT
> A hobby isn't as much of a boost as a career is. I don't know that that's the problem, but it could be.

In Test, I tried making tier 11 damite with a career, techniques, 1750 skill and capped WOTM. Couldn't be done.

Then Kodius mentioned in reply that there might be other sources of buffs coming, e.g. spending some prestige to get an assist from the society master.
Re: Top-end forging woes 07/14/2016 07:41 AM CDT
>In Test, I tried making tier 11 damite with a career, techniques, 1750 skill and capped WOTM. Couldn't be done.

Damn, I held out hope that it was possible. That means it's impossible to mastercraft damite serrated bone saws, glaes jagged shapers, and glaes thin sewing needles.

Did you try 20 Workability Tier 11?

Naniaki Felyran

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
Re: Top-end forging woes 07/14/2016 11:55 AM CDT
Is there a random factor involved? As in, it's possible, but you'll have to run through several sets of mats to pull it off?
Re: Top-end forging woes 07/15/2016 10:21 AM CDT
Illiena as an experiment on the test server are you able to try the following case; forging Skill 1200 ranks, full techs, no buff?

Would be interesting to see if it is a case of being "Over Qualified" to do the work.
Re: Top-end forging woes 07/15/2016 04:30 PM CDT
> Did you try 20 Workability Tier 11?

Just did. Some thin niniam sewing needles:

Crafted Item Properties, Quality: 99 (masterfully-crafted)
Metallurgical Properties, Quality: 91 (somewhat pure)

Also, I went back and tried 10 workability again. Some thin glaes sewing needles:

Crafted Item Properties, Quality: 98 (of outstanding quality)
Metallurgical Properties, Quality: 86 (somewhat pure)

They were masterful up until the slack tub, so it looks like we will be able to mastercraft them, once we have access to masterful tubs and oil. Apologies for the misinformation.

I have master metallurgy, so purifying the ingot shouldn't help, although I'm willing to give it a go if people care. I'll also give kertig a shot, in a bit.

> Illiena as an experiment on the test server are you able to try the following case; forging Skill 1200 ranks, full techs, no buff?

I don't have any way of lowering my ranks. But in prime I do tier 11 workability 50 items for workorders. With a full buff and techs but no career or hobby, I only hit masterful at ~1325 ranks. So I suspect your test would result in very far from 99 quality.
Re: Top-end forging woes 07/15/2016 08:11 PM CDT
>Illiena as an experiment on the test server are you able to try the following case; forging Skill 1200 ranks, full techs, no buff?
>Would be interesting to see if it is a case of being "Over Qualified" to do the work.

It is not. I'm up to 1179 Forging with Blacksmithing Career (I lack the 4 techs in the Utility Forging tree) and for Tier 11 I master MC steel, I use 100% LC steel for work orders and get 98 quality, getting close to capping it though. Possibly have, I've been on...a big special mechanics projects kick lately the last couple of weeks and am churning through loads of material and not particularly at the edge of my skill.

Naniaki Felyran

Re: Top-end forging woes 07/15/2016 11:31 PM CDT
> I'll also give kertig a shot, in a bit.

Some thin kertig sewing needles:

Crafted Item Properties, Quality: 98
Metallurgical Properties, Quality: 84
Workability: 5

Again, masterful up until the tub.

I don't have any silversteel, but otherwise it looks like tier 11 will be doable.

Now for tier 12. A trapezoidal iron wire sieve:
Crafted Item Properties, Quality: 99
Metallurgical Properties, Quality: 99
Workability: 50

A trapezoidal steel wire sieve (HCsteel):
Crafted Item Properties, Quality: 98
Metallurgical Properties, Quality: 98
Workability: 35

A trapezoidal niniam steel sieve:
Crafted Item Properties, Quality: 22
Metallurgical Properties, Quality: 91
Workability: 20
Re: Top-end forging woes 07/16/2016 12:43 PM CDT
Out of curiosity, how do the rare metal outstanding quality tools appraise? That is, looking at it pragmatically versus just being OCD about 'needing' 99 quality would it be worth it to use oustanding glaes/kertig T11/12 needles, sieves, etc?
Prev_page Previous 1