Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 12:31 PM CDT

>>I agree!

Curious if you would address the two points I made regarding this then? Or is it that you don't have a problem with invested time = nothing, and pvp becoming a situation where the only statistical edges can be gained by buying into microtrans events? Not being snarky, legitmately curious.
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 12:35 PM CDT
>>Because I know a great many number of players who 24/7 who are also event chasers, and participate heavily in the RP community, and are very interested in the lore/RP. I also know of a great number of players who don't 24/7, and who are not remotely interested in RP/events/lore. I don't think these are the exception to the 'rule'.<<

Coutnerpoint: A load of people will not even know things are going on because while they're scripting they're not paying attention, even if they do check in sometimes to talk later. RIGHT NOW with AFK scripting strictly not ok, there are people who sit in gathering areas gaining exp who are not even attentive enough to run away from a hafwa when it gets dropped in their area. I think a lot of people, though obviously not everyone, would disappear into their scripts because that is often what happens now even though they risk months or years of exp gain by doing it.

Mazrian
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 12:37 PM CDT

>> If you want to be competitive and you're not already into the grind,

The people that want to be competitive likely are already putting in work. Capping daily limits on experience would prevent them from doing this entirely. You're turning a year to two years into never. Taking away the possibility, and even the choice.

>>I don't know. I like to watch the numbers grow too, for awhile, but honestly it gets boring after a short while

Everyone likes to see numbers get bigger, they feel like progress. As mentioned in the other thread about how people play DR, themselves, some people play JUST to watch the numbers grow. They play for THOSE gains. Just because it bores you personally does not the paradigm make.

>>Why do you bother?

I bother because as things are, hard, legitimate work pays off, as it should. You would like to take that away from players like myself, who are NOT breaking policy or doing anything wrong.

And while talking on taking away rank advantages in PvP, you completely ignored and avoided to mention the fact that all statistical advantages in PvP will become monetized through microtrans available special materials at that point. Curious as to why you quoted the paragraph, commented on an adjacent fact, but avoided the focus of the point I was making entirely.
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 01:04 PM CDT
>>Some people play to script, and chase numbers, and even while at the keyboard are not going to sit and giggle/huggle/snuggle/chat with the others in the room.

I think it is critical to acknowledge the difference between "I like to watch numbers go up so I script a lot" (I'm in this demographic!) and "I am not at the keyboard when doing so" (this is the bad demographic!).

There is nothing wrong with scripting and/or opting out of being social. What is bad is afk scripting.

At this point, I feel it is damaging to the discussion to act like this is an issue about scripting as a whole, which is not against policy (nor is it a problem), as opposed to afk scripting, which is against policy, and is a problem.

>>No, but, Plat players may not have a very good sense of how griefers in Prime are affecting the player community, and thus not have particularly relevant opinions on the impact of griefing.

Plat is a microcosm of Prime, which includes "how players act to other players," so I feel that this is just a dismissive way ignoring my view without having to address it for what it is.

If Prime has a [fake] population of 10,000 people, 5% who afk script and 10% who grief, Plat's [fake] population of 100 people still has 5% who afk script and 10% who grief.

Unless you're a GM explicitly telling me "you're not allowed to care about the game's culture as it relates to Prime," you might as well not bother trying to discourage me from stating my entirely valid points, because I'm still going to respond.

>>Having drained exp for X years is the most boring possible way to be better than someone at DR. "I have X more ranks than you so I win" is so much less interesting, and less engaging, than "I know the systems and areas better than you. I have more contacts than you. I've collected some better items than you. I am better at PvP than you." as a basis for competition.

Kinda agree with this view, even as someone who loves seeing numbers go up and writes his own scripts because they're fun puzzles to solve.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 01:18 PM CDT

>>There is nothing wrong with scripting and/or opting out of being social. What is bad is afk scripting.

100% agree. I was merely pointing out that the perception that people are all 'mindlessly scripting' isn't necessarily going to stop when you finally get rid of all the afk scripters. If people want to fix that problem, they should step up, engage people, and be the change they want to see happen. Make the environment more social through their own actions, rather than just complain it feels like a ghost town. Devote the energy to something positive.

>>Kinda agree with this view,

And I do as well, but I'm also solidly in the camp of 'putting in hard work should reap its rewards.' Stop handing out participation trophies, there is no reason effort shouldn't matter. The current mode of combat is much less 'ranks = I win button' than the last iteration, and I think people also take that for granted. Knowledge of systems, how to work advantages, and ability to think under pressure matter much more than they used to and are absolutely able to overcome some rank gaps. Honestly, there is no real shortage of people to fight against in your range, if you put yourself out there.

>> I've collected some better items than you.

Balancing ranks is just going to make this even MORE of a problem than before.

And, I missed this earlier:

>>Good! Take away that advantage - it does nothing but encourage people to punch down and discourage people from jumping into PvP.

You want a genuine RP environment, but you don't want a dragonslayer, combatant in a multitude of wars, a knight of high esteem (hyperbole for making a point) to have an advantage over a kid slinging ship rats down at Barana's. Real, true RP is both the good and the bad. I'm sorry, but this is a multiplayer game, and not everyone can shout "RP!" and still Mary Sue your way through the world like each and every individual is the best individual at everything ever. If you want that, maybe a single player game is more your style.
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 01:22 PM CDT
>>And while talking on taking away rank advantages in PvP, you completely ignored and avoided to mention the fact that all statistical advantages in PvP will become monetized through microtrans available special materials at that point. Curious as to why you quoted the paragraph, commented on an adjacent fact, but avoided the focus of the point I was making entirely.<<

Because it's an irrelevant point? You can have rare metal gear, get good items, etc without engaging in microtrans. It takes longer but so be it, if you want the few percentage points of statistical advantage you can wring out. It would probably be good for simu to do scaling because otherwise the value of microtrans stuff is entirely swamped by the value of just having scripted longer. Git Gud at PvP and the microtrans stuff won't matter very much regardless.

>>The people that want to be competitive likely are already putting in work. Capping daily limits on experience would prevent them from doing this entirely. You're turning a year to two years into never. Taking away the possibility, and even the choice.<<

The people who are not playing now but may consider DR in the future are not putting in work. They are coming to DR, looking at the climb, and going "Nah going to play something else instead". It is the same group of us, basically, competing with ourselves until the community dies for lack of new blood to sustain it.

>>I bother because as things are, hard, legitimate work pays off, as it should. You would like to take that away from players like myself, who are NOT breaking policy or doing anything wrong.<<

Yes, I absolutely would take that away because 1) it's not hard and 2) it's not work. It's just time spent draining exp. It's something you can do 100% without looking at the game after you get yourself set up. It's literally just progress quest. If it feels like work, if it feels like sacrafice, then something is massively wrong with the game (it is).

Mazrian
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 01:27 PM CDT
>>You want a genuine RP environment, but you don't want a dragonslayer, combatant in a multitude of wars, a knight of high esteem (hyperbole for making a point) to have an advantage over a kid slinging ship rats down at Barana's. <<

He can have plenty of advantages, while still getting merc'd by an arrow to the face the same as the kid. What I don't want, because it is really boring on a ton of levels in a multiplayer game, is for him to have years of nigh insurmountable advantage over everyone who started playing later. If you want to be more OP than everything around you and be secure in that position maybe the single player game is for YOU.

Mazrian
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 01:29 PM CDT
>>The current mode of combat is much less 'ranks = I win button' than the last iteration, and I think people also take that for granted.<<

This is absolutely not the case, either.

Mazrian
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 01:33 PM CDT

>>Because it's an irrelevant point?

Again, your opinion. The fact that in your model, the only statistical advantage in pvp is easiest and quickest gained with RL cash does not feel irrelevant at all to me.

>>The people who are not playing now but may consider DR in the future are not putting in work.

So disregard those of us here now, paying to play, actively in favor of potentially non existent hypothetical people that are not even in the equation yet? Check.

>>Yes, I absolutely would take that away because:

>>1) it's not hard
>>2) it's not work.

If you train minimally and only train the skills you HAVE to, sure. Some of us aren't lazy, and try to keep as many skills moving at once as possible. Again, you're dictating your opinion from your perspective as fact.

>>If it feels like work, if it feels like sacrafice, then something is massively wrong with the game (it is).

Any game with a competitive aspect has a degree of work to it. You don't just get things handed to you, even on consoles. You try out Overwatch, the grind to get to diamond is real. Same with pretty much every competitive game ever. Yes, I agree something is wrong with the system as it stands, absolutely. Yes, I feel like the time investment necessary should be decreased to a more realistic level. No, I don't think that means people should not be rewarded for putting effort in beyond the minimum.
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 01:42 PM CDT

>> What I don't want, because it is really boring on a ton of levels in a multiplayer game, is for him to have years of nigh insurmountable advantage over everyone who started playing later.

You want everyone to be on the same level. There are plenty of people in any given range, why do you need EVERYONE to be in your given range?

>>If you want to be more OP than everything around you and be secure in that position maybe the single player game is for YOU.

At no point have I ever stated this was my goal, in fact I have referenced more that I am playing a game of catch up. I am one of the underdogs, yet I am advocating against just giving handouts to level the field. If anything, the situation is exactly the opposite of what you are projecting.

>>This is absolutely not the case, either.

Also, I'm sorry, but this is hilarious, and you are rapidly losing yourself credibility, here. Are you saying that combat in DR, PvP specifically, is less strategic now than the last iteration where someone on remotely even ground with you could one-shot you with one arrow from stealth?

I'm going to simply agree to disagree with you, and hope that the people making said decisions don't approach things as one dimensional as your fixes are. You and I are never going to come to agreement, and I would rather not have another thread that could produce something productive derailed and shut down.
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 01:43 PM CDT
>>If you train minimally and only train the skills you HAVE to, sure.<<

If you train, period. Once you've written the routine it's just tweaking and waiting. If you use Geniehunter or the stuff from the Dependency repository it's even easier. There's really no such thing as working harder when it comes to long term exp gain.

>>The fact that in your model, the only statistical advantage in pvp is easiest and quickest gained with RL cash does not feel irrelevant at all to me.<<

I mean, in the model we have now the easiest way to gain statistical advantage in PvP is to buy a high level character and skip the grind. I think you even come out ahead just on a cost basis. Cash rules everything.

>>Any game with a competitive aspect has a degree of work to it. You don't just get things handed to you, even on consoles. You try out Overwatch, the grind to get to diamond is real. Same with pretty much every competitive game ever. Yes, I agree something is wrong with the system as it stands, absolutely. Yes, I feel like the time investment necessary should be decreased to a more realistic level. No, I don't think that means people should not be rewarded for putting effort in beyond the minimum.<<

The difference is that with Overwatch, LOL, etc you're engaged and having fun while you grind ranking. The grind is kind of the point. In DR you grind so you can go do something else that you'd prefer to do if you didn't have to grind to get there.

Mazrian
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 01:46 PM CDT
>The people that want to be competitive likely are already putting in work. Capping daily limits on experience would prevent them from doing this entirely. You're turning a year to two years into never. Taking away the possibility, and even the choice.

Well, unless that capped daily experience is normalized to the equivalent of 24 hrs of gained experience.

>I bother because as things are, hard, legitimate work pays off, as it should. You would like to take that away from players like myself, who are NOT breaking policy or doing anything wrong.

I worry that people equate 'I scripted for a very long time' with 'I worked hard at this'. The achievement is that one persistently activated their scripts and tweaked them periodically over a long period of time. I don't know if that's indicative of deep comprehensive involvement or understanding of the game/community, and don't think that should really be the highest benchmark of 'how to win at DR'. I think 'time invested = you win conflict' should have a cap on it well before the, say, 5+ year mark.

>Curious if you would address the two points I made regarding this then? Or is it that you don't have a problem with invested time = nothing, and pvp becoming a situation where the only statistical edges can be gained by buying into microtrans events? Not being snarky, legitmately curious.

I personally dislike the notion of pay to win, but think that's an extremely blurry line, and one that we're semi-well past anyway. Various PvP items provide striking advantages, that I don't think are reasonable, before you even address t7+ gear. I think there's a room for this stuff, but some of the stuff has made me less than happy about.

To the other part of your question, in my view, I'd prefer to see an earlier attainable 'cap', while gains beyond that cap provide increasingly diminishing returns, and abilities themselves are balanced against one another, with ranks being deprioritized. I think a situation where combat choice matters more than rank advantage is preferable, particularly if you can force more choice in ability selection or use. That's a huge change to the game, so I understand that it's not particularly likely to to occur.

>Coutnerpoint: A load of people will not even know things are going on because while they're scripting they're not paying attention, even if they do check in sometimes to talk later. RIGHT NOW with AFK scripting strictly not ok, there are people who sit in gathering areas gaining exp who are not even attentive enough to run away from a hafwa when it gets dropped in their area. I think a lot of people, though obviously not everyone, would disappear into their scripts because that is often what happens now even though they risk months or years of exp gain by doing it.

Again, I'm not suggesting that all players who 24/7 are super interested in events/rp/lore. I am suggesting that the notion that people who 24/7 have NO interest in events/rp/lore is not a notion I agree with. I am not, mind you, saying this because I 24/7, nor because I'm defending the practice. I'm saying that 'player in the game' is better than 'player not in the game'. I know plenty of people who will take a break from scripting to come RP, and would rather they be around than 'not around'.

>Plat is a microcosm of Prime, which includes "how players act to other players," so I feel that this is just a dismissive way ignoring my view without having to address it for what it is.

I think you really need to emphasize the 'micro'. I'm quite specifically not trying to dismiss your, I'm pointing out that you probably don't have a particularly accurate sense of the game culture in Prime.
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 01:48 PM CDT

>You want everyone to be on the same level. There are plenty of people in any given range, why do you need EVERYONE to be in your given range?

There definitely aren't plenty of people at a given range - looking over the circle spread alone indicates that the player base is fairly spread out, to say nothing of the actual rank spread. That many players in the 1500+ club talk about how boring PvP gets at their strata, I'm genuinely curious why whenever the topic of rank normalization comes up, they're also the first to argue against changes that would open up more of the player base to them for conflict.

Secondly, that noobwars was a thing is another mark for the notion of HLC conflicts being not particularly interesting or compelling to those who are up there.

And thirdly, this topic of rank normalization doesn't mean 'everyone is equal', it means that the game is balanced more heavily with an eye towards ability/action/choice, than rank domination.
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 01:49 PM CDT
>>Also, I'm sorry, but this is hilarious, and you are rapidly losing yourself credibility, here. Are you saying that combat in DR, PvP specifically, is less strategic now than the last iteration where someone on remotely even ground with you could one-shot you with one arrow from stealth? <<

DR right now is much more rank-based than DR pre 3.0. Pre 3.0 you could cheese your way around large rank differences and the strategy revolved around getting the initiative and springing your trap before the other person could react. That is basically impossible now. Good tactics can get let you fight up a little (and not nearly as much) if the other party makes mistakes and declines to run away but if they don't you basically have no options. It's boring. You don't see tourneys anymore, you don't see big attendance at spars. Boring.

Mazrian
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 01:54 PM CDT
>>game is balanced more heavily with an eye towards ability/action/choice, than rank domination. <<

This is definitely more what I'm in favor of.

Mazrian
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 01:58 PM CDT

>>Well, unless that capped daily experience is normalized to the equivalent of 24 hrs of gained experience.

I'm not sure I understand, here. How could one gain, in 24 hours, more than 24 hours worth of experience? Why implement any cap at that point?

>To the other part of your question, in my view, I'd prefer to see an earlier attainable 'cap', while gains beyond that cap provide increasingly diminishing returns, and abilities themselves are balanced against one another, with ranks being deprioritized. I think a situation where combat choice matters more than rank advantage is preferable, particularly if you can force more choice in ability selection or use. That's a huge change to the game, so I understand that it's not particularly likely to to occur.

Absolutely this. It allows there to still be benefits from putting in the time, because regardless of the level of work, it's still hours spent at the keyboard, watching your script, that you will never get back. For years, that time has been worth the reward for spending it, for some of us. Invalidating all that time spent retroactively seems both horrible and unnecessary.

Retaining a diminished gradient above a normalized point, reducing the effect of ranks gained overall above that point, is a much more reasonable suggestion. It allows for a reason to still put the time in, but brings things more into reach for those coming up from behind. I understand why a portion of the population would want something like this established. That being said, I don't have an issue with PvP as it stands now. Don't want to lose? Maybe don't pvp. Elsewise, Wyvern spars tend to group people rather well, or if you're looking for something more homogeneous to the role-play environment, engage people you see hunting in similar stomping grounds. And remember, even death comes with it's lessons that can be learned, and developing skill is generally more predominant in situations of real adversity.
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 02:02 PM CDT

>>it means that the game is balanced more heavily with an eye towards ability/action/choice, than rank domination.

As mentioned, THIS, I am 100% for. Taking ranks completely out of the picture and setting everyone essentially at the same rank point (even if, for example, beyond 300 ranks), I am not.
Re: Question **Second Nudge** 03/14/2018 02:10 PM CDT
This one's getting kinda out of hand. Please take a moment before you post; it should not be addressed AT someone. Quoting is OK. Calling someone out is not.

Also, like guild versus guild conversations, Platinum versus Prime discussions belong nowhere on the forums. Further posts on that will be pulled.

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
Re: Question **Second Nudge** 03/14/2018 02:22 PM CDT

With an eye towards the nudge.

>I'm not sure I understand, here. How could one gain, in 24 hours, more than 24 hours worth of experience? Why implement any cap at that point?

I think there are a few ways to address this, none of which are perfect, but all of which reduce the 'need' to 24/7. You could perhaps also mix and match, or use multiple approaches. My favorite is to allow experience to be earned for ONLY x/24 hrs a day, but multiply XP earnings for those hours by 24/x. So say you can only earn XP for 12 hours per every 24 - the experience earned per hour is doubled, but you can only earn experience for half as many hours. This way, for example players can script for 12 hours a day, and then spend the remaining 12 hours doing whatever they want.

>Absolutely this. It allows there to still be benefits from putting in the time, because regardless of the level of work, it's still hours spent at the keyboard, watching your script, that you will never get back. For years, that time has been worth the reward for spending it, for some of us. Invalidating all that time spent retroactively seems both horrible and unnecessary.

Eh, yeah, it is, but frankly, changes have gone into DR before that invalidated previous choices and required player adjustment. They aren't often met happily, but I think it's important to take a look at what's best for the long term health of the overall game, and recognize that sometimes that means nerfs to your individual character. For what it's worth, I've played my main for about 9 years, at least 5 or which have been 'seriously'. While he isn't at cap, I'd be more than happy to see his ranks matter less.

I don't really view the 'years spent scripting' (woof!) as 'hard work' or an 'accomplishment'. It's an activity I did while doing other things. I'm much prouder and more interested in the community I'm part of, and the events that I've participated in, and my characters story, than the numbers associated with my character. I fully recognize that some people don't feel that way about their characters, and the numbers are everything for them, and I think that's fine. But I also think the rank disparity drives AFK scripting, and renders PvP less interesting and desirable.

Anyway, I put down this drum years ago, so, meh, but that's the elaboration on the idea.
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 03:54 PM CDT
>>And I do as well, but I'm also solidly in the camp of 'putting in hard work should reap its rewards.' Stop handing out participation trophies, there is no reason effort shouldn't matter.

I think it's worth acknowledging that not everyone is going to consider running an automated script as "hard work".

Once again, I love building my own scripts. I think the only script I use that someone else provided me was one that builds out the crafting book database so it automatically goes to the item page that I want to craft, and even that I've modified and built upon every year new things come out.

But I also wouldn't consider "I'm running a script run with one eye while watching Netflix with the other" as "hard work," anymore than I'd consider a video rendering for eight hours as "hard work" (alternatively, I'd consider all the time putting the footage together is the hard part!).

>>I'm not sure I understand, here. How could one gain, in 24 hours, more than 24 hours worth of experience? Why implement any cap at that point?

One of the things Armifer (and others!) developed for the Necro guild was looking at how much Divine (and Social?) Outrage they wanted to have decay if someone was logged in 24 hours, and let people drain that amount in 8 (I think?) hours instead. This way, there was no advantage/reason to be logged in somewhere just for the sake of draining DO/SO.

It wouldn't hurt to look at the exp model in the game and do something like having exp drain 4x as fast during the first 4 hours, then 2x the next 4, 1x the next 4, then no more exp for 12 hours. That way, players get more exp each day, but your returns notably diminish if you're grinding non-stop. Does this really addressing AFK scripting? Not directly, but at least the game discourages the situations that would encourage nonstop AFK scripting.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 04:23 PM CDT

>>I think it's worth acknowledging that not everyone is going to consider running an automated script as "hard work".

Running around 12+ hours a day, due to luxury of work scheduling and type, while not breaking the scripting policy is more work than someone who scripts an hour or two a night is putting in. You can cut it down all you like, but maintaining that long of a clip being attentive to the game environment takes effort.

>>It wouldn't hurt to look at the exp model in the game and do something like having exp drain 4x as fast during the first 4 hours, then 2x the next 4, 1x the next 4, then no more exp for 12 hours. That way, players get more exp each day, but your returns notably diminish if you're grinding non-stop. Does this really addressing AFK scripting? Not directly, but at least the game discourages the situations that would encourage nonstop AFK scripting.

Again, I am not at all against the exp system being adjusted. I 100% believe it needs to be addressed. Just not without allowing someone to invest more time without some reward for doing so. I could see, under your proposed model, maybe slowing down the drain in those last 12 hours to .3 or .5, but not wiping it out all together (just because there are days where I'm actually around and at it for 14 - 16 hours rarely). But, that is based on my personal preferences, and honestly, the loss of anything over 12 hours a day would be worth the sacrifice of reigning those 24 hour a day scripters under control. That being said, they will still just script afk 12 hours a day instead, and it won't necessarily curb the problem of them breaking policy, just ease the rank gap between those that do and those that don't.
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 04:32 PM CDT
>>Running around 12+ hours a day, due to luxury of work scheduling and type, while not breaking the scripting policy is more work than someone who scripts an hour or two a night is putting in. You can cut it down all you like, but maintaining that long of a clip being attentive to the game environment takes effort.

Disagreeing with staying attentive to a script running counting as "hard work" isn't cutting it down. I don't think a hot dog is a sandwich; that doesn't mean I'm anti-hotdog.

>>Again, I am not at all against the exp system being adjusted. I 100% believe it needs to be addressed. Just not without allowing someone to invest more time without some reward for doing so.

This is currently how DO/SO works, and I've yet to experience anyone having issues with it, and I think it would beneficial to the game to discourage players from draining 24 hours straight. That said, I'm not against having it always produce something past a certain point.

Hours Experience
0-4 4x
5-8 2x
9-12 1x
13-16 0.5x
17-20 0.25x
21-24 0.1x

At the same time, given the way DR experience/skills works, it might be beneficial to change it from "hours" to "bits," where the first X "bits" of experience of bits are worth 4x, etc etc etc, that way if someone is training non-combat survivals/lores those first four hours, they're not at a disadvantage if they move to combat after that.

Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 04:52 PM CDT

>>At the same time, given the way DR experience/skills works, it might be beneficial to change it from "hours" to "bits," where the first X "bits" of experience of bits are worth 4x, etc etc etc, that way if someone is training non-combat survivals/lores those first four hours, they're not at a disadvantage if they move to combat after that.

TBH, even with the loss of a little productivity on my longer days, I'm 100% behind this. And yeah, I was thinking the same thing, bits wise. As in, the first x pulses out of your experience pool into ranks get a 300% bonus to the amount of hard exp gained, then a 100% bonus, etc.

Having it produce nothing, experience wise, beyond that 12 hour gradient would be the only way to prevent 24 hour scripting sessions, and the sacrifice of that little bit of extra time one would realistically have to train beyond 12 hours on a long day is worth starting to treat the problem.
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 05:05 PM CDT
>>TBH, even with the loss of a little productivity on my longer days, I'm 100% behind this. And yeah, I was thinking the same thing, bits wise. As in, the first x pulses out of your experience pool into ranks get a 300% bonus to the amount of hard exp gained, then a 100% bonus, etc.

>>Having it produce nothing, experience wise, beyond that 12 hour gradient would be the only way to prevent 24 hour scripting sessions, and the sacrifice of that little bit of extra time one would realistically have to train beyond 12 hours on a long day is worth starting to treat the problem.

IMO, now that I think about it more, I can also see a value in having it be "bits" vs "hours" because it means someone who is "good" at training gains the ability to train more effectively in less amount of time, gives more casual players the ability to not fall behind just because they prefer to train at a more paced experience, and lets people who want to specialize in things that would typically restrict how many pools they can fill (ie: crafting lores or some survivals) not get dinged for choosing to focus on those skills.

There's also, arguably, a system already in place that can handle this, since when 3.0 rolled around every skillset had a bonus exp pool where all the bits from skills that no longer existed went. Only in this case, everyone would get a bonus number of bits every day in a more generalized pool.

Even if the "base" level for the 13-24 hours (or whatever breakdown) was still at "normal" levels, the bonus bit values could be notable enough that it effectively worked as a negligible amount of experience in comparison to how much you could earn in those first hours/half day.

Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 05:21 PM CDT

I was thinking hours of skill drain per skill, but sure we're talking about the same outcome here. X number of draining pulses per skill also works.
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 05:29 PM CDT

Yeah, you lost me when you mentioned being able to train a single skill in that skillset. If you bonused bits that way, then all the bonus bits into one skill would allow you to train at 4x the normal rate, focused. That seems like it is both encouraging and rewarding bad character training. I was thinking more along the lines of a static number of total pulses, per skillset, not per skill. So when you start pulsing a lore, that is your lore pulses ticking down, so you're better off training as many lores as you can at a time. Rewarding someone for picking as few weapons, armors, magics, survivals etc as possible by letting them train 4x as fast doesn't seem like a very good idea, all things considered. Plus, it wouldn't stop someone from training 24 hours a day that way, as you wouldn't be exhausting your bit bonuses as fast as someone training normally.

IE- Once you start a lore skill pulsing, for the next 4 hours of lore skills actively draining, you get the first stage of the bonus (4x, or whatever). Or set a cap at 28 standard hours (4@4x, 4@2x, 4@1x) of experience per day on each individual skill, to prevent that. Seems like the easiest way overall to handle it would be to bonus the entire skillset pulses as a whole for said duration of time.
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 05:30 PM CDT
>>I was thinking hours of skill drain per skill, but sure we're talking about the same outcome here. X number of draining pulses per skill also works.

I like the idea of it being a general pool for bonus bits over per skill just because some players might want to do a lore day, then a survival day, then a combat day, etc.

We also wouldn't have to worry about things like "Should the armor pool get fewer bits than the weapon pool" or "Is the armor pool at an advantage because they have fewer skills to split bits among than magic pool" and so on.

Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 05:51 PM CDT

>>We also wouldn't have to worry about things like "Should the armor pool get fewer bits than the weapon pool" or "Is the armor pool at an advantage because they have fewer skills to split bits among than magic pool" and so on.

IMO that's why it should work exactly like an RPA, bonusing bits on the way out of the pool over a time period of pulses, etc. Either just a static time period or the number of pulses that would occur over that same time period per skill. No way to abuse it that way. If you give bits that people can allocate as they like, it will not stop 24 hour training by limiting skills to only learn a select few 4x as fast for 24 hours a day.
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/14/2018 07:01 PM CDT
A post was hidden.

Helje kindly asked that we keep this on topic. I don't want to have to end this one but if we keep up the posturing, rude remarks, or political commentary this one will be done.

-GameMaster Signi
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/15/2018 12:09 AM CDT
>IMO that's why it should work exactly like an RPA, bonusing bits on the way out of the pool over a time period of pulses, etc. Either just a static time period or the number of pulses that would occur over that same time period per skill. No way to abuse it that way. If you give bits that people can allocate as they like, it will not stop 24 hour training by limiting skills to only learn a select few 4x as fast for 24 hours a day.<

Yes but wouldnt that limit people who binge out on the weekends? people who drink 5 hour energies and grind an all nighter.

" Its like when I'm right I'm right, when I'm wrong I could been right, so I'm still right cause I coulda been wrong, you know, and I'm sorry cause I could be wrong right now, I could be wrong, but if I'm right... "
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/15/2018 08:00 AM CDT
>>IMO that's why it should work exactly like an RPA, bonusing bits on the way out of the pool over a time period of pulses

The only reason I can see a timer not being fully appealing is that it could discourage training skills you can’t train alongside X number of additional skills.

Looking at how many “bits” could be gained during that time and making the bonus X number of those bits would make it so those who don’t train “optimally” being unintentionally penalized/left behind even more so.

Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/15/2018 08:31 AM CDT

>>bits

As long as the daily amount of bits earned/bonused was capped at that 28 hours worth, or whatever, (4hrs@x4, 4hrs@x2, 4hrs@x1) then it couldn't be abused. Elsewise, literally zero point in changing the system at all, because it will encourage people to script 24 hours, not discourage it.

Say, by only training targeted magic in the magic skillset, their bits are consumed from a reasonably sized skillset much slower. So, they could train without ever getting away from the bonus exp rates, still at x2 or even x4 during the entire 24 hours.
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/15/2018 11:07 AM CDT
>>Say, by only training targeted magic in the magic skillset, their bits are consumed from a reasonably sized skillset much slower. So, they could train without ever getting away from the bonus exp rates, still at x2 or even x4 during the entire 24 hours.

I'm extremely skeptical that this is what will happen.

In the end, there are two things you have to consider, which are leading (but not the only) causes of people afk scripting:

1) How to improve skill gain rates so people feel AFK scripting isn't necessary to advance.
2) How to discourage "excessive" gameplay, with the assumption that someone playing past X hours a day is probably not really being attentive to the game.

You can address both of these by having the game front-load the amount of experience players can gain in a given day. GMs can determine the amount of experiences players could/should gain in a given day (this could be based on if someone scripted 24/7, or whatever rate they feel is the "proper" gameplay rate, or most likely a mix of the two), and making it so you learn slower and slower throughout the day. You still get the same amount of experience each day, but you don't have to do as much work/scripting/etc as you previously did. There are two ways to implement this, both having advantages and risks:

1) Have it be time-based. You first 4 hours teach X*4 amount faster, your second 4 teach X*2 amount faster, your third 4 teach X amount faster, your fifth 4 teach X/2 amount faster, etc. The advantage is that there is an explicitly clear amount of diminishing returns the more you play in a given 24-hour (or one day, whatever) period. You're discouraged from "excessive" grinding, while not being "penalized" for your inability to effectively grind anymore. The disadvantages with it being time based is that someone may want to roleplay those first four hours of exp drain, or they may train a crafting skill or non-combat survival, or other things that would diminish their ability to effectively use their first four hours. In addition, some "hardcore" players may feel that they're not able to have as strong of a skill advantage for the amount of time they put into the game.

2) Have it be bit-based. Your first Y bits of experience absorbed teach X*4 amount faster, your second Y bits of experience absorbed teach X*2 amount faster, etc. The advantage here, unlike RPAs (I think), is that players can take advantage of the improved learning rates without having to work the system to maximize the exp gain. Will people who train 12 weapon skills use up their bonus bits for the day faster than someone training 3 magics and a crafting lore? Yes, but everyone still gets the same number of bonus bits in the end. Could this create a theoretical situation where someone afk scripts one skill, at the expense of every other skill, in order to be uber at that one skill? Maybe, but what is the probability of that happening moreso than it already happening?

This idea isn't meant to be a silver bullet. It's meant to address a cultural issue in the game ("Wow this game takes forever"/"It is hard to compete as a newbie"/"I will never catch up") and diminish the incentives that encourage bad and/or policy-breaking behavior as a result ("To compete I need to play nonstop" and/or "AFK scripting is the only solution"), while also still respecting the needs of people who love to grind (They will still be ahead of those who don't grind, just not as ahead if they were actually grinding skills for 12+ hours nonstop in one day).

Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/15/2018 11:13 AM CDT
>>1) Have it be time-based. You first 4 hours teach X*4 amount faster, your second 4 teach X*2 amount faster, your third 4 teach X amount faster, your fifth 4 teach X/2 amount faster, etc. The advantage is that there is an explicitly clear amount of diminishing returns the more you play in a given 24-hour (or one day, whatever) period. You're discouraged from "excessive" grinding, while not being "penalized" for your inability to effectively grind anymore. The disadvantages with it being time based is that someone may want to roleplay those first four hours of exp drain, or they may train a crafting skill or non-combat survival, or other things that would diminish their ability to effectively use their first four hours. In addition, some "hardcore" players may feel that they're not able to have as strong of a skill advantage for the amount of time they put into the game.<<

>>2) Have it be bit-based. Your first Y bits of experience absorbed teach X*4 amount faster, your second Y bits of experience absorbed teach X*2 amount faster, etc. The advantage here, unlike RPAs (I think), is that players can take advantage of the improved learning rates without having to work the system to maximize the exp gain. Will people who train 12 weapon skills use up their bonus bits for the day faster than someone training 3 magics and a crafting lore? Yes, but everyone still gets the same number of bonus bits in the end. Could this create a theoretical situation where someone afk scripts one skill, at the expense of every other skill, in order to be uber at that one skill? Maybe, but what is the probability of that happening moreso than it already happening?<<

I feel like people would afk just as much with diminishing returns. Once you're set up to do it you might as well do it even if the benefit is less.

Mazrian
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/15/2018 11:22 AM CDT
>>I feel like people would afk just as much with diminishing returns. Once you're set up to do it you might as well do it even if the benefit is less.

I wouldn't be surprised, but one aspect of the harm that would be caused as a result would be notably diminished.

As mentioned adjusting/front-loading exp rates isn't going to be a silver bullet that will solve all AFK scripting, but one step in what should be multiple steps. Along with disincentivizing the benefits of getting away with afk scripting, I'd hope for stronger enforcement along with other measures. This way, the risk/reward of AFK scripting eventually makes it not worth the effort.

Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/15/2018 11:58 AM CDT

>>I'm extremely skeptical that this is what will happen.

In my circumstances, as a Paladin, I would absolutely focus on combat while using my magic bits, so 100% of them went into TM and Debil, over time it would absolutely push them above my secondary weapons, being a much smaller group of skills drawing from the pool, essentially negating the skillset learning rates as a whole. Too many reasons doing it bit based and letting players essentially choose where they go wouldn't work.
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/15/2018 12:58 PM CDT
>>In my circumstances, as a Paladin, I would absolutely focus on combat while using my magic bits, so 100% of them went into TM and Debil, over time it would absolutely push them above my secondary weapons, being a much smaller group of skills drawing from the pool, essentially negating the skillset learning rates as a whole. Too many reasons doing it bit based and letting players essentially choose where they go wouldn't work.

There is no such thing as "magic bits" or "weapon bits" in my example. You just have "bits". You can't selectively use your "bits", beyond what you do (or don't) decide to train while they're available.

Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/15/2018 01:03 PM CDT
>>There is no such thing as "magic bits" or "weapon bits" in my example.

>>At the same time, given the way DR experience/skills works, it might be beneficial to change it from "hours" to "bits," where the first X "bits" of experience of bits are worth 4x, etc etc etc, that way if someone is training non-combat survivals/lores those first four hours, they're not at a disadvantage if they move to combat after that.

I think this is where my misunderstanding on your proposal stemmed from. I do understand what you're saying now.

And while I know they're here lurking, and have directly mentioned that talks are going on about this on their end right now (and what they can do mechanically), any chance we can get a little insight as to what the staff is tossing around as a fix to these issues, or at least if any of these are close to the mark?
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/15/2018 02:11 PM CDT
We are having some discussions, yes.

We're not ready to say anything about the discussions just yet.

We are still reading. (Thank you for keeping it productive and about ideas and not about people!)

Iocanthe
Doing stuff
Re: Question **NUDGE and POST HIDDEN** 03/15/2018 02:51 PM CDT
I'm a bit confused as to the difference in the quality of the role-play environment between 1) an at-keyboard person running a script and being unresponsive to every element of the game environment except script checks and 2) an afk scripter who is obviously also going to be unresponsive.

If I am wandering along, see a fellow Elothean in a room, ask them which House they are in, and get ignored, then the outcome to my attempt at roleplay is the same irrespective of whether or not they are there.

Also, I would add, that when I envision a high-quality roleplay environment, I do not envision that means that my character has an in-depth lore discussion with every single character wandering around Elanthia. To me, the unscheduled fun roleplay interactions are the small interactions that are structurally encouraged, like, when I sell someone's pouches. Probably need to interact with my character to some degree there. The opportunity to randomly bump into someone and spontaneously combust some role play action is just slim and I think primarily driven by more than just the at- versus away-from- keyboard dimension.

The best roleplay interactions are when going to an ad hoc advertised, player-scheduled, or GM-run roleplay event.

Not sure what I'm missing here. AFK scripting equals unresponsiveness is an odd argument to me if unresponsiveness is not equal to AFK scripting.

The advantage gained in PVP from ranks gained by afk scripting is an entirely different, and valid, argument for those who care about PVP because there is an incentive to cheat.