Prev_page Previous 1 3
my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 05:23 AM CDT
My character plays a pacifist where other characters are concerned. He will not fight another character if there is any other resolution. The only time I've ever attacked another player outside of a dual was a thief who stole from a very young friend then taunted them repeatedly. I have some IC reason for not wanting to pvp that i won't go into here. That said. If you harass me, regardless of my ability or inability to mop the floor with you I'll try to pacify the situation IC. If that fails I'll ask in OOC whisper that I'd like to resolve this IC without violence as i will not participate in pvp killing. As a LAST resort I will report some snert who thinks rping revolves around pissing other people off. I never want to report, I think it's a waste of GM time but I'm not going to break my IC RP to put someone in their place.
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 08:46 AM CDT
Reporting is breaking your IC RP to put someone in their place.

Any time you report, the situation stops being IC.

-Mazrian
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 08:54 AM CDT
>>Reporting is breaking your IC RP to put someone in their place.

>>Any time you report, the situation stops being IC.

Quoted for Truthiness

Anyways, you know what I got out of your entire post? Waaah waaaah, nobody is going to make me do anything I don't want to do. EVER.

God I'd hate to see you actually try to role play anything dynamic.

-Galren Moonskin

!>You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde screaming in barbaric approval of your deeds.
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 09:30 AM CDT
You were doing pretty well until you used the word "snert" at the end.

Seriously, how do you justify never participating in any kind of conflict for any reason?
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 10:35 AM CDT
We play a role-playing game, but we play a role-playing game with rules. Those rules govern a great many things . . . they govern genre, they govern language, they govern sexually explicit role-playing, and most controversially, they govern violent conflicts between characters. These rules are a compromise which allow different populations of players, all of whom pay to play the game, to interact in a way which has the potential to be enjoyable for everyone. But of course, we all know the definition of a compromise--a sloution with which all parties concerned are equally unhappy.

>>Waaah waaaah, nobody is going to make me do anything I don't want to do. EVER.

I see this argument a lot . . . but it's a two way street. Let us imagine a player/character which prefers to resolve conflicts by a combat skill contest. This player is willing to accept that he or she may lose in such a contest, but is frequently unwilling to accept a contest of words in which they may be beaten. And God forbid that anyone make you resolve a conflict in a way that you don't want to.

For a completely in-character example, I think this difficulty is best exemplified by what I like to call the Empath Problem. Empaths can sling insults with the best of them, sometimes saying things which are deeply hurtful to other characters. However, empaths absolutely cannot participate in normal man-to-man combat, and despite people frequently decrying the guild-as-a-defense attitude, it is generally not socially acceptable to kill an empath.

Where the Empath Problem differs from the consent rules, however, is that the character does not have to agree in advance to a set of rules governing the resolution of conflicts. The character can kill the empath and accept the social consequences, which, depending on the relative social status of the two, can range from mild to severe. In contrast, the player has pre-agreed to out-of-character regulations, and if he or she chooses to violate those rules, there are out-of-character consequences.

There are failings in the consent system, chief among them that it protects the characters engaging in the most egregious acts of within-policy taunting and griefing from the violent social consequences that would surely follow were those rules not in place. It is foolish, however, to think that an all-social-consequence consent-free system would be without similar failings--it would simply be more satisfactory for some and less so for others.

So here, we're back at our compromise. The compromise that everyone agrees to by logging into the game. The compromise that lets everyone do what they want, but which also makes everyone accept some things that they don't want to. The great compromise that, at least in theory, is equally unacceptable to everyone.
_

Moon Magic 101:
"A lethal spell is defined as a spell which, by itself, can cause the death of anyone other than the caster." --GM Armifer
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 11:27 AM CDT
The "if you report for any reason(and therefore ruin my fun) you are dirt" crowd was quick to diss your reasoning. On the other hand, it seems to run counter to what some of the same people have said about if you don't want to be involved with their PvP just let them know in whispers, and they will be glad to stop.

You said you try to RP it out, then you whisper to them that you won't get involved with PvP, and save reporting for the last resort. To me, that is exactly how you should do it. Reporting is no more OOC than whispering that you don't want to participate. Reporting is merely a tool to be used as a last resort, and not only is within policy, it should be encouraged to be used exactly like that- as a last resort tool. When used properly it helps weed out those who cannot play within policy and feel a need to impose their brand of fun on others.

Flavius

"militantly enforcing the overly rigid standards of you and your small collection of friends"
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 12:16 PM CDT
The problem isn't using report as a last resort - it's there to deal with the most egregious of offenses.

The problem is using report as a weapon, and that is how I see it most often being used. "Well, they killed me and made me look stupid publicly, so I'll just get them in trouble." Motive does matters. If you're just reporting to get someone in trouble, not address a serious playability issue that you have exhausted all other means of resolving, you are not using it correctly in my eyes - you're simply using it as a weapon to wield against another player.

Any time your character dies by the hands of another and you report or feel a desire to, ask yourself honestly if you would still want to had you won and killed them instead. If the answer is no, you shouldn't be reporting them. Plain and simple.

Rev. Reene

Syralon whispers to your group, "Gentlemen, to evil!"
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 12:29 PM CDT
policy violation is a serious playability issue.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 01:12 PM CDT
"The problem is using report as a weapon, and that is how I see it most often being used. "Well, they killed me and made me look stupid publicly, so I'll just get them in trouble." Motive does matters. If you're just reporting to get someone in trouble, not address a serious playability issue that you have exhausted all other means of resolving, you are not using it correctly in my eyes - you're simply using it as a weapon to wield against another player.

Any time your character dies by the hands of another and you report or feel a desire to, ask yourself honestly if you would still want to had you won and killed them instead. If the answer is no, you shouldn't be reporting them. Plain and simple "

Reene, oddly enough I find myself in agreement with you. While I don't know whether Report is used often as you describe it or not- that is not what report should be used for. And I think that the original poster made it clear that was his own personal policy, but others immediately told him that any use of report was wrong.

Too use the language of an entirely different type of debate- Report should be readily availible and rarely, if ever used. The goal should be a reduction of the desire to report- both by reducing the number of incidents that are truely valid reportable incidents and by reducing the number of frivolous or malicious reports.

"militantly enforcing the overly rigid standards of you and your small collection of friends"
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 01:50 PM CDT
>>And I think that the original poster made it clear that was his own personal policy, but others immediately told him that any use of report was wrong.<<

Not wrong, just inherently OOC. You can't report and stay IC, is all I'm saying.

- Mazrian
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 04:14 PM CDT
<<policy violation is a serious playability issue.

Way to be as vague as possible. Did you write policy?
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 04:21 PM CDT
Any time your character dies by the hands of another and you report or feel a desire to, ask yourself honestly if you would still want to had you won and killed them instead. If the answer is no, you shouldn't be reporting them. Plain and simple.

Go ahead, say it out loud once or twice or 10 times. 99.95% of you would NOT report if you had won the conflict. I know because I've seen it happen before. I've killed someone with Galren and get reported. A month later my thief gets into a VERBAL scuffle with them, they kill him and OH LOOK AT THAT, THERE IS NO REPORT because they won.

That is one hell of a one-way street ain't it?

-Galren Moonskin

!>You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde screaming in barbaric approval of your deeds.
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 04:48 PM CDT
"Go ahead, say it out loud once or twice or 10 times. 99.95% of you would NOT report if you had won the conflict. I know because I've seen it happen before. I've killed someone with Galren and get reported. A month later my thief gets into a VERBAL scuffle with them, they kill him and OH LOOK AT THAT, THERE IS NO REPORT because they won."

99.95% of Bald Eagles electrocute themselves on high power lines. I know- because I saw it happen once.

Stop being such a victim. Yes a victim. You and your ilk are always championing that no one needs to report, because they could instead of either walked away. Yet you always have the same option. Walk away and 99.995%(see I made my assertion even higher because it makes it more impressive) you won't get reported. See- no need to be the victim.

Strange- don't steal from anyone and 99.9995% of the time you won't get reported. It is not hard to avoid being reported- I don't believe Flavius has ever been reported. Of course that is because I rarely, rarely ever initiate conflict in game. If you decide to initiate conflict, and skirt as closely as you can along that line that is policy, hoping to incite someone to an action for which you hope you can plausibly claim consent, then the chances are you will get reported. And sometimes, for some of you, in the judgement of a GM you will have crossed that line.

I understand how the concern that people may report hampers your ability to impose your concept of fun on other players. But just as players have a responsibility to not abuse the report mechanism, players have a responsibility to avoid putting themselves in a position where they can legitimately be reported for offensive actions.

Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 05:04 PM CDT
<<understand how the concern that people may report hampers your ability to impose your concept of fun on other players. But just as players have a responsibility to not abuse the report mechanism, players have a responsibility to avoid putting themselves in a position where they can legitimately be reported for offensive actions.

Oh no not the "imposing your style of play on someone else" argument again.

<<99.95% of Bald Eagles electrocute themselves on high power lines. I know- because I saw it happen once.

Are you trying to compare policy players to stupid birds that electrocute themselves? I wish I thought of it first.

<Strange- don't steal from anyone and 99.9995% of the time you won't get reported.

Ok but first you stop casting magic, Or whatever the hell it is your guild does. Also, stealing is not against policy.
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 05:23 PM CDT
<<But just as players have a responsibility to not abuse the report mechanism, players have a responsibility to avoid putting themselves in a position where they can legitimately be reported

Needed repeating.
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 06:02 PM CDT
ALDEN/Flavius,

I think the original post was just fine, but...

>>Walk away and 99.995%(see I made my assertion even higher because it makes it more impressive) you won't get reported. See- no need to be the victim.

I shouldn't have to walk away from an IG conflict because of the chance someone will use an OOC option. I've been in plenty of situations where the reporter STARTED it and continued to go on and on on the gweth. If someone gives me reason to kill them then I will.

Please, do me a favor... get it out of your head that the people that are against reporting are griefers, or always starting and causing trouble. Cause it's not that way all the time.

>>Strange- don't steal from anyone and 99.9995% of the time you won't get reported.

Stealing isn't against policy. If people can't deal with something as simple as stealing then maybe they shouldn't be playing a MUD where people can steal from and kill each other.

>>But just as players have a responsibility to not abuse the report mechanism, players have a responsibility to avoid putting themselves in a position where they can legitimately be reported for offensive actions.

There's a flaw with that statement, my friend. If you think that it sets the tone for the majority of situations, then I must say you have no idea what kind of situations are out there.

There are SO many players that will abuse the report mechanism, that in order for other players to avoid putting themselves in a position where they can legitimately be reported for offensive actions, they have to avoid physical conflict almost completely UNLESS they are incapable of harming the reporter (i.e. lowering stances).

There are too many varieties of reporters for your above statement to ring true. Some of them ARE the ones that start conflict and keep it going but hop all around the consent policy. To completely avoid some of these people, my character would literally have to turn the other cheek. If you think the two-way street only applies to your argument, then you're contradicting yourself.

Anyway, there are consequences for the person being reported, yet no consequences for the person that reports. Ask yourself who will get away with abuse here.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 06:33 PM CDT
<<Anyway, there are consequences for the person being reported, yet no consequences for the person that reports.

There are consequences for violating policy, the report is just a means of communicating to the staff that policy has been broken.

Being reported when you haven't broken policy is extremely unlikely to result in you being penalized. A baseless report is just that, baseless.
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 06:43 PM CDT
I don't know about you, MIKEM1, but Flavius pretty much disagreed by the way policy is being enforced, if he agrees with the original poster of this thread.

I think you missed my point anyhow.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 06:43 PM CDT
Look at the DP crusade. The DPs had some of THE heaviest hitters in-game on their side killing attacking players...

Not only was it NOT a consent nightmare, it was a heck of a lot more fun than people would have expected.

When it comes to CvC, there are three general broad categories:

1.) People who don't want to CvC at all.

2.) People who are okay with CvC as long as they win.

3.) People who are fine with CvC.

Now, obviously these don't apply to everyone in all circumstances - some folks are fine with CvC in a limited group, but otherwise look to win and won't CvC if they feel outclassed.

Most people in DR largely fall into category 2. Sorry, but it's true. Take Ragran: He gets involved in a lot of shenanigans, but he doesn't get in trouble for it because people don't report. Why? Because he's easy to kill.

This is a viewpoint that offends people on the second category, but Galren is right. Category 2 people are the players who will report if they lose or feel outclassed, and if they think they can win easily won't report and will fight instead.

I knew a couple folks who would stance down when they were unsure if the other person would report, because when they fired a couple arrows and missed, the other person (Remember, Type 2 is the majority in DR) would attack them back rather than report - clearily if they missed, they weren't a threat and could easily be killed.

It's not a statement that exclusively applies to picking fights - if someone is playing the line on policy and is insulting you or hassling you but won't step up and fight, if you shoot at them or cast at them and miss on purpose, they will usually fight back because they think they can kill you easily.

I'm a type 3; I don't report when attacked, I steal from people, I graverob, I thump, and I pick fights. But I recognize the difference between someone who genuinely isn't interested in conflict and someone who simply thinks they can't take me in a fight and will shoot their mouth off instead and report if they get killed. So most of my CvC is limited to a group of folks who will likely as not greet me with a friendly crossbow bolt, clout, etc instead of a wave.

The funny thing is that Type 3 people have a better understanding of perspective in DR than type 2. We recognize, in a way that Type 2 don't, that CvC is fun when taken within limits. For example, while it may be humorous to shoot the person who just got raised and has been continually talking smack while dead, doing it over and over is unnecessarily mean spirited. The idea of hunting someone down for days might sound exciting but what it really amounts to is two people hanging out in safe rooms training non-combat skills and waiting for the other to log off so they can go hunt.

Consent policy has simultaneously supported decent CvC interactions and hamstrung it. Because policy is used as a defense, and because GM interpretation of policy is traditionally very loose (including examples which go contrary to stated policy) and dependent upon the whims of individual GMs, people interested in CvC are required to procure excuses - essentially 'tricking' non-type 3 players into giving them consent - to engage in conflicts which are short lived, violent, and always end in death.

Why do conflicts always end in death? Because that's when policy says that they end. I can't beat someone down, slap them around, and leave them with a bloody nose in game because if I don't strike hard and kill them, they'll get healed and come back until I DO kill them. Sometimes I don't want the hassle of a murder fine, but type 2 players are so bloodthirsty when they have free reign to kill someone within their abilities to do so that it is easier to just kill them.

On the other hand, the benefit of CvC policy is that type 2 players are just as bound by it, and the parts of CvC that aren't actually any fun (see 2 people sitting in safe rooms training noncombat skills for days) don't generally happen because the people who don't know any better are prevented from taking it too far under policy. The fact that consent usually ends at one death means that Type 2 players rarely enter a situation where they would be allowed to push CvC out of the situations where it is enjoyable. The rare situations where it does occur are instances of item theft where the victim has consent until the item is returned or compensated for, if the item is destroyed.

There are a few people that technically still have free reign to kill me under policy because I possess items that I stole from them - and they know that I stole them. Does this mean I'm constantly watching my back for them to come and kill me? Absolutely not - the time for that behavior is past. I stole it, they chased me around for a few hours, I didn't cheat and run off to other cities, the islands, safe rooms, no locate areas, or any of that. They eventually gave up, I got away with it. In short, it was a game and I won.

That's the important part, really. It's a game, but type 2 people don't want to play if they're not pretty sure they're going to win. In other words, Type 2 people are poor sports and sore losers. Sadly, these are the people the consent policy was designed for, not the Type 1 people.

I still strongly support the idea of a 'CvC' flag which a player could set that would indicate to anyone who also had their flag set that they are uninterested in reporting under the consent policy. People who did NOT have the flag set would be unable to determine if someone had the flag set. It's basically an extension of WARN COMBAT. It would allow Type 3 players to identify each other easily and wouldn't affect anyone else.

Of course, it's not like we haven't had any recent examples of GM sponsored CvC that turned out well or anything to support the 'flag' idea that certain players have been asking for.
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 07:02 PM CDT
"Also, stealing is not against policy."

Of course not. Yet....it instigates conflict. If you don't get involved with conflict, you don't get reported. I feel comfortable with this assertion because a) I (to my knowledge) have never been reported and b) strongly suspect that Strange has.

I don't care that you steal from other players- really- not as if the money you steal from Flavius matters to me much. But you are complaining about reporting, and I am saying stop being a victim- you have a choice always- just as so many of you folks say about the people that report- just as they could walk away from a conflict without reporting, you too could do so, and virtually eliminate any chance of being reported.

Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 07:10 PM CDT
>>There are consequences for violating policy, the report is just a means of communicating to the staff that policy has been broken.

>>Being reported when you haven't broken policy is extremely unlikely to result in you being penalized. A baseless report is just that, baseless.

1. I've watched folks get in trouble over baseless reports.

2. So where is the recourse for a baseless report then? There's quite a few notes on my account and just about every conflict I get into results in a GM consultation.

Now ask me how many PvP Warnings I have. NONE. Not one on any character on any account of mine. I think at this point I've had a consult with well over half the GM population in this game.

-Galren Moonskin

Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 07:19 PM CDT
First of all- I am enjoying this a great deal- otherwise I wouldn't continue with this.

Vinjince-

"I shouldn't have to walk away from an IG conflict because of the chance someone will use an OOC option. I've been in plenty of situations where the reporter STARTED it and continued to go on and on on the gweth. If someone gives me reason to kill them then I will."

I agree with you up to a point also. But I also have observed the reverse- where the character is bullying others right along the consent line, and when reported claims foul.

"Please, do me a favor... get it out of your head that the people that are against reporting are griefers, or always starting and causing trouble. Cause it's not that way all the time."

From what I have seen on the boards, those that most strongly advocate that nobody should ever report, are folks who also complain about getting reported. I fully recognize that it is possible that there are those who on principle are against reporting but do not get involved in such situations themselves. I just think that these are the minority of those who say no one should ever report.

"There are SO many players that will abuse the report mechanism, that in order for other players to avoid putting themselves in a position where they can legitimately be reported for offensive actions, they have to avoid physical conflict almost completely UNLESS they are incapable of harming the reporter (i.e. lowering stances)."

Why am I never encountering such people? Why am I never being reported? Really according to your propostion, I should get involved with such griefers regularly, and have to figure out some way to deal with them without being reported.

"There are too many varieties of reporters for your above statement to ring true. Some of them ARE the ones that start conflict and keep it going but hop all around the consent policy. To completely avoid some of these people, my character would literally have to turn the other cheek. If you think the two-way street only applies to your argument, then you're contradicting yourself."

Well you have me there- since I have no real experience with reporters, I can't really tell. But I would imagine that some folks abuse the report mechanism, just as others attempt to bully others in order to initiate unwanted conflicts. Neither should be acceptable.

"Anyway, there are consequences for the person being reported, yet no consequences for the person that reports. Ask yourself who will get away with abuse here."

I really don't know if there are no consequences for those who regularly and frivolously report. But I doubt that 90% of reports are frivolous- but neither you or I really know this- unless you are privy to DR enforcement info.

Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 07:22 PM CDT
"but Flavius pretty much disagreed by the way policy is being enforced, if he agrees with the original poster of this thread."

Okay- I don't even understand the point you are trying to make there. I do agree with the original poster- try to RP it out, whisper if necessary to try to explain to the other person you do not wish to continue with the conflict, and at last resort Report. Make sense ot me.

Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 07:27 PM CDT
>> Please, do me a favor... get it out of your head that the people that are against reporting are griefers, or always starting and causing trouble. Cause it's not that way all the time.

This bears repeating as far as I'm concerned because lately the vast majority of the fights I get in were almost entirely provoked by the other person, but I still stand a very good chance of getting in trouble if I am not very careful about how I respond.

>> Being reported when you haven't broken policy is extremely unlikely to result in you being penalized. A baseless report is just that, baseless.

Reporting when someone hasn't actually broken policy does two things.

First, it wastes GM time - a lot of it. This is something most people should care about, because time spent on consults and making logs and writing reports about every single incident they have to look at is time away from other things they could be doing like events.

Second, even if nothing is done and they haven't breached policy in any way, a note is still made on that person's record that they had to get pulled up in the first place. Enough of these (and it can be very easy for certain types of characters, like Galren, to accumulate these due to people whose first recourse is reporting) and a person won't have to break policy to get in trouble. They'll still see a history of consults even if they've been a perfectly policy-abiding player. It makes those reasonable grey areas stop being grey areas and start being warnings instead, and that's not really right to me.

Rev. Reene

Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 07:33 PM CDT
Okay Kaishi- some agreements- some disagreements:

DP War- agree- well done all around- everyone involved wanted to be involved and no one was abusing the situation.

That is very different from what often happens. I disagree with your categories also- add a third category there-
People who think CvC means bullying others so they can kill them.

In general they might fall into category #2- except they might not report, they just work very hard to pick on only those they feel they can kill.

I think that a large amount of DR would like to enjoy the game without being bullied to participate in what they don't want to participate in- perhaps the majority. Unlike yourself, I don't have a good census on what groups the majority of DR falls in. However, I rarely see sub level 10 characters attempting to bully those 20 or 30 levels above them. I have often encountered the reverse.

I think Type 3 have no greater perspective than others. I think that you and they have and advocate their own very narrow perspective.

"Why do conflicts always end in death? Because that's when policy says that they end. I can't beat someone down, slap them around, and leave them with a bloody nose in game because if I don't strike hard and kill them, they'll get healed and come back until I DO kill them."

I do find that funny though- because if all you were concerned about was RP, then why would you care about consent? You blame consent on that? If there were no consent rules, the exact same options would be availible to you.

Where I find agreement with you is the CvC flag- seems like a reasonable option to me.

Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 07:45 PM CDT
>> KAISHLOR

Very good post, and sadly true in many ways.

>> From what I have seen on the boards, those that most strongly advocate that nobody should ever report, are folks who also complain about getting reported. I fully recognize that it is possible that there are those who on principle are against reporting but do not get involved in such situations themselves. I just think that these are the minority of those who say no one should ever report.

I've certainly had my share of consults in the past, that's true. In the past six months however, I've had a whopping two that I can remember, which were short, pleasant, and didn't result in any penalties being placed on me. I credit this to two things - me learning how to walk the line better and especially me making sure my stance and my reputation got out there and known so people would see me as "that evil villain" and not "that mean griefer."

>> I do agree with the original poster- try to RP it out, whisper if necessary to try to explain to the other person you do not wish to continue with the conflict, and at last resort Report. Make sense ot me.

I actually agree and it's why I try to push the mantra "assume good faith" so hard. No matter how contrary to how they are behaving it might seem, treat the other person like a rational, mature person that is just trying to have fun playing a game like you are. Every now and then I'll get an OOC whisper saying "hey I'm having a bad night can you just lay off" and I do. That's fine. Even the best roleplayers among us have off nights where they just don't want to deal with PvP or conflict. I just wish people would try to pursue that avenue more often instead of attempt to bring down the proverbial Hammer of God onto their perceived enemies.

Rev. Reene

Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 07:51 PM CDT
ALDEN,

>>If you don't get involved with conflict, you don't get reported. I feel comfortable with this assertion because a) I (to my knowledge) have never been reported and b) strongly suspect that Strange has.

This is a two-way street, remember? Some people LIKE conflict. Why should they always have to walk away just because the opposing party will abuse the report function?

The issue here is that so many people report, that they're destroying the other part of the street. It's hard to get in good conflict these days. This latest CvC event with DPs was GM sponsored, and shows how fun a conflict can be if there's no instant reporting.

>>From what I have seen on the boards, those that most strongly advocate that nobody should ever report, are folks who also complain about getting reported.

That's an assumption, and it looks like you're starting to realize that it's not really true.

>>Why am I never encountering such people? Why am I never being reported? Really according to your propostion, I should get involved with such griefers regularly, and have to figure out some way to deal with them without being reported.

Because you avoid conflict? I mean sure, if everyone walked away from every single conflict then they'd never encounter such people, and they'd never be reported. Some people just don't like to walk away from conflicts.

Again, if I'm in an IC conflict with someone, I should not be FORCED to walk away from it because I have a pretty good feeling the player behind their character will report at the drop of a hat. That's a one-way street there.

>>But I would imagine that some folks abuse the report mechanism, just as others attempt to bully others in order to initiate unwanted conflicts. Neither should be acceptable.

This is my point. (1)

>>Okay- I don't even understand the point you are trying to make there. I do agree with the original poster- try to RP it out, whisper if necessary to try to explain to the other person you do not wish to continue with the conflict, and at last resort Report. Make sense ot me.

You will be issued a warning for an unconsented kill. The reporter doesn't have to try to RP it out, the reporter doesn't have to even try to whisper. All they have to do is report. Obviously, if you agree with RP'ing it out, then you disagree with how policy is often handled.

My understanding of policy is to prevent harassment, not to eliminate RP. People that report faster than you can be taken to jail (I honestly almost had this before. The GM pulled me up just a few seconds after mechanics placed me in jail for killing someone in town. I was sent back down with a warning in less than 30 seconds total, without getting a chance to explain or anything.) completely destroy any chance of RP that can come out of the situation.

Now, with that being said... people that generally bully others and are in violation of the enforcement of policy are given warnings, and eventually lockouts. This is not acceptable, according to enforcement of the policy. This is also not acceptable according to you. (1)

People that abuse the report function do NOT get warnings and do not get lockouts. This is not acceptable according to you.

However, there won't be much abuse from those that bully others and are in violation of the enforcement of policy, simply because they will get locked out.

There is/will be a lot of abuse from those that abuse the report function, simply because they won't get locked out. You said both are not acceptable, so why is only one side of it getting punished? This is a two-way street, right?

Vinjince

- Sima Yi
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 08:49 PM CDT
Just for you Flavius... let me show you how rediculous things can get. All logs can be seen in full on Smelly-Cat.

You feel a faint tugging at your belt, and look down to find Matrimcauthon pulling his hand out of your purse with some coins.
Matrimcauthon just came out of hiding.

You get a square-faced throwing hammer made of pitted black iron from inside your backpack.
>throw Matrimcauthon
Mantive says, "She wanted to give you a break."
>
You turn to face Matrimcauthon.
< You throw your throwing hammer wildly at Matrimcauthon's left arm, hitting him with a heavy strike that rips apart the left bicep and splinters the bones of the upper arm.
Matrimcauthon is lightly stunned!
The throwing hammer falls to the ground!
[You're solidly balanced and in dominating position.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]

You pick up a square-faced throwing hammer made of pitted black iron.
>throw Matrimcauthon
< You throw your throwing hammer wildly at Matrimcauthon's back, soundly thrashing him with a massive hit that blasts the foe in the lower back with a sickening crunch (bending it in a way you didn't think possible!).
Matrimcauthon is stunned!
* Matrimcauthon is slain before your eyes!
Matrimcauthon's rock crystal falls to the ground.

A passerby runs off, calling for Galren to be arrested for murder!

>>Ok, so Matri steals from me and I kill him. Things are fine... but then he comes back for more and starts insulting me...

Matrimcauthon looks at you and yawns.

Matrimcauthon says, "Shut your face son."

Matrimcauthon says, "Your terrible"

Matrimcauthon says, "Better log Galren, GM coming."

Matrimcauthon looks at you and yawns.

Matrimcauthon asks, "Chump? and you kill?"

You say, "You insulting me and acting condecending bought you that second death"

Matrimcauthon says, "Thats not grounds"

Matrimcauthon says, "Your pathetic"

Matrimcauthon says, "And wrong"
>
Matrimcauthon says, "And you know it"

>>So off he goes running his mouth again, refuses to leave and just keeps pushing that giant button which reads "DO NOT PUSH"

Matrimcauthon says, "Log"
>
Micbash puts his ladybugs in his backpack.
>
Matrimcauthon says, "Run son"
>
Surisa says to Matrimcauthon, "Stuff it."
>
Micbash gets some waermodi stones from inside his backpack.
>throw Matrimcauthon
You turn to face Matrimcauthon.
< You throw a square-faced throwing hammer made of pitted black iron at Matrimcauthon. Matrimcauthon fails to evade. The hammer lands an apocalyptic strike (So that's what it felt like when Grazhir shattered!) that knocks him down and out with a blow to the nether regions (Total loss of bowel control accompanies a twitching death!).
* Matrimcauthon is slain before your eyes!

A passerby runs off, calling for Galren to be arrested for murder!

... (time passes by in jail) ...

You hear the ghostly voice of Matrimcauthon say, "There we go"

You hear the ghostly voice of Matrimcauthon say, "Thats 3"

You hear the ghostly voice of Matrimcauthon say, "Kill yoursel goodbye"

You hear the ghostly voice of Matrimcauthon say, "Someone kill him"

>>Oh and here's another for you...

With the speed of a striking snake, you thump Talshrua in the neck with the edge of your flattened palm striking him in the vocal cords. Talshrua clutches his throat, wheezing pathetically.
The shock causes Talshrua to drop his broadsword!

>ooc tal Please avoid using terms like report, its OOC thanks.
You whisper to Talshrua.
>
... (few minutes later) ...

Talshrua says, "Alright. The authorities have been informed."

Talshrua whispers, "ooc you've been reported, thanks"

>>Need another? I'll spare you the long and stupid backs story. Suffice to say I still didn't get a warning for unconsented PvP.

[23:07] Delpar whispers, "thanks for the right to report you"

>>See? Folks like that, their only goal is to tattle and get folks in trouble when they lose. Regardless of whether the report is baseless or not. Just an FYI, I won every consult resulting from those incidents.

-Galren Moonskin

Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/12/2007 09:32 PM CDT
>When it comes to CvC, there are three general broad categories:

I think you forgot the fourth category:

4) People who are okay with CvC when there is an interesting and legitimate RP reason behind it, but do not think baiting others into mindless and groundless conflict is either fun or, in a great many cases, even character-driven RP.

Not saying that there aren't characters out there whose players have worked out consistent and well-constructed backgrounds that legitimize their "evil" or just anti-social RP. Just that there are far, far too many who are just being driven by jerks out to annoy and frustrate others.

You can rationalize their right to do so, but it's just hypocritical to pretend that they don't exist and that those who don't want to interact with them are the ones with the problem.

Player of Silvanne, Maiamo Heruaminen Khandrishen

A protagonist must have an antagonist. Otherwise he's just a guy playing with himself.
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/13/2007 12:05 AM CDT
>>4) People who are okay with CvC when there is an interesting and legitimate RP reason behind it, but do not think baiting others into mindless and groundless conflict is either fun or, in a great many cases, even character-driven RP.

Sorry. Type 2.

There used to be a warrior mage, I forget his name. He role-played an extremely racist S'kra Mur, who was a devout follower of Ushnish, and he played it to the hilt. He was completely sociopathic, he sided with the Dragon Priests and the Adan'f, constantly got in authority figures' faces (note I'm talking about IG authority figures; I have no idea how he handled GMs but I heard he was polite), joined militias for the express purpose of undermining them from within. He had a love of setting 'smoothskins' on fire, frequently insulted non-S'kra without provocation, had a habit of telling people that naphtha would stick to them if they tried his patience, and so forth. He would kidnap 'smoothskins' and gnaw on them until they died, and generally was completely nuts.

His RP, however hostile, was consistant.

I'm willing to bet that it made zero difference as far as the overall scheme of things is concerned. For our purposes, he was a Type 3.

You don't think that baiting others into 'mindless and groundless conflict' is character-driven RP. I say unto you that the fact that 'mindless and groundless conflict' exists is an example of a Type 2 perspective. Wanting to fight and, yes, bully, other adventurers is legitimate RP. Unfortunately, due to a failure in Type 2 perception such activities are viewed as 'griefing' or 'non-legitimate' RP.

Let's say I have a posse, and we stake a claim over an area. For the sake of example, let's say that our posse decides we're going to be highwaymen in the mine where you hunt faenrae reavers. We're going to station someone at the top and bottom of the elevator in order to operate it and demand a fee from anyone who wants to use the elevator. For this exercise, pretend like the elevator is the only way in or out of the lower area and you can't climb the shaft.

Now, let's say that someone who regularily hunts in the bottom of the mine is stopped by us one day shortly after we stake our claim. We attempt to extort our toll, and the person refuses to play along. We can either go "Oh, this person doesn't want to play along, let them pass" or "Hey, they won't pay our toll, so let's stop them from going up/down, by force if necessary."

Which of these is 'good RP' and which of these will get the GMs involved?

There's a double standard in most people's perceptions in DR where the only 'good RP' is that which does not negatively impact other players to any significant degree. But in reality, that cuts out any and all RP which DOES impact other players negatively.

Let me try a different angle: Think of all the warlords and bandits in Xena: Warrior Princess. Being a bandit is perfectly legitimate RP, but is unacceptable in DR because it is impossible to extort wealth from other players by threat of violence or detainment - for these threats to be effective, they have to be able to be carried out. Guess how fast I would get locked out if I pinned a trader on the NTR or the ferry and demanded that they give me (some/all/specific amount) of their money or I would do bad things to them if I actually followed through on my threat once the threat was laughed off.

When is it 'griefing' and not valid RP? That's an trick question, because, and this will upset many people, griefing is still valid RP. Let's take the example of the NTR bandits. Traders who get waylaid have the option of paying up, trying to fight their way through (which would mean actually training combats, but it IS an option), or sneaking through. Alternately they could hire someone to go deal with the bandits or guard their caravans so that if they get stopped by the bandits again they'll have protection.

There are a number of ways to RP the situation out, but how many traders do you think would RP it out and not REPORT?

The fact is that Type 2 players don't view potential harm to their characters as RP, but as a reason to hit their REPORT macros.
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/13/2007 12:14 AM CDT
>>>MANNOND's post

Ding!

I've not yet been party to a CvC conflict throughout my entire history in this game. (I realize that some of you may find that to be somewhat of a shock, but it is true. I hope you recover from the shock soon.)

I've been close a couple of times. Most recent was when my character was being annoyed by a certain obnoxious Rakash who didn't get the hint that my character would have zero interest in him whatsoever. So I, through my character's eyes, simply stated that if he didn't step back, I'd throw a stick for him to fetch. A deeply personal stick, and one that he would be highly attached to. (For those that don't read vague allusion very well, translate that as "pulling a Bobbitt" on him.) Of course, I find out later that he had about 30 circles on me, which would have made no difference whatsoever to my character's reactions at the time.

When it does happen, I would bloody well hope that there is a solid RP foundation for it before we come to blows, such as with the above scenario. If there is not that foundation, then there is absolutely zero reason for me, via my characters' different thought processes, to continue the conflict. CvC conflict is, to my view, senseless unless it has that in-character relationship and history and therefore would go out of bounds for a CvC conflict and into the realm of simple PvP.

I don't play this game to pit my skills as a player against people. I play this game in order to create a character, complete with different viewpoints and reactions than my own. So if there is no in-game justification for a conflict, why should my characters even bother with it as it bears no relation to what they are doing.

I can have senseless PvP by playing WoW, occasionally with the opportunity for parity and even odds where player skill comes into effect even with all the twinks in the system. So why would I seek it here?

The bottom line for me is that, if it's not the way my character would react to the provocation, then it is too OOC for me to bother with it, regardless of how the consent issue works out.

Amagaim; the player of,

The whole of nature is a conjugation of the verb to eat, in the active and the passive.
--- William Ralph Inge
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/13/2007 02:54 AM CDT
>You don't think that baiting others into 'mindless and groundless conflict' is character-driven RP.

What I said was: "People who are okay with CvC when there is an interesting and legitimate RP reason behind it, but do not think baiting others into mindless and groundless conflict is either fun or, in a great many cases, even character-driven RP."

Notice please that I was making no claim as to what I think. Notice also that I said "in a great many cases." I am not arguing that there are not excellently and consistently role-played baddies out there. I'm friends with the players of a couple of them. But they do not make up a majority, or even a sizeable minority, of those who seek out CvC (actually, I think PvP would be a more appropriate way to refer to it, since they don't care much about character).

As far as what I actually think: I think the policies on this subject are abysmal because they tend to protect griefers and not their victims. What I would like to see is policy changed so that we can see a more realistic justice: I think that since the justice system in the realms is broken beyond belief, we should be allowed to form posses to go after baddies or at the very least be able to extend our consent to one other character (who is not necessarily the spouse of the attacked character--a champion or hired thug, if you will).

It chaps my hide when I see someone victimized and, as much as it is in my character's makeup to go after the victimizer (and possibly even die in the attempt), I really can't. Why? Because the vast majority of those who engage in this behaviour will start screaming (to me, the GMs, often anyone in earshot) that I don't have consent on them the minute they figure out (or assume) that my character can bring them down.

Player of Silvanne, Maiamo Heruaminen Khandrishen

A protagonist must have an antagonist. Otherwise he's just a guy playing with himself.
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/13/2007 03:39 AM CDT
>> As far as what I actually think: I think the policies on this subject are abysmal because they tend to protect griefers and not their victims.

Funnily enough, I think the opposite. Or rather that quite a few of those supposed victims are more worthy of the griefer, snert, or whatever overdone meaningless title you'd like to use themselves.

My perspective is rather simple. If you don't want CvC (and I apply this standard to myself too because heaven knows I'm not always in the mood for it)...Fine! I support your right to play the game the way you want to. However, it's your responsibility at that point to avoid doing anything that can reasonably be construed as conflictual.

Does this mean that someone might rob, insult or bother your character for no reason and leave you with no like way to respond without inviting conflict? Yes.

Does this mean that you may have to forfeit inserting yourself into arguments or fights, even between your friends and someone you believe is being excessively cruel to them? Yes.

Does this mean holding your tongue when you feel the desire to speak rudely about someone, whether or not you think they're listening? Yes.

Does this all sound kind of restrictive with regards to roleplay? Well, yes. That's because it is. We all have to make concessions in one way or another and we all need to be aware of our own consequences and responsibilities regarding our actions.

My own responsibility is to try and make sure that people are aware of the consequences of their actions one way or another before I carry through with anything violent. This is the same responsibility anyone that plays a conflictual character has. If your character is not conflictual, that does not mean you are not still responsible for their/your conduct. You do not get to viciously insult my character with absolutely no consequences just because you aren't interested in CvC for whatever reason. It just doesn't work like that, nor should it.

>> It chaps my hide when I see someone victimized and, as much as it is in my character's makeup to go after the victimizer (and possibly even die in the attempt), I really can't. Why? Because the vast majority of those who engage in this behaviour will start screaming (to me, the GMs, often anyone in earshot) that I don't have consent on them the minute they figure out (or assume) that my character can bring them down.

I agree. In this case, the policy is how it is to account for people that would abuse it, and it's unfortunate that intervention I would consider perfectly reasonable is not alright under policy. There are villains out there that would roll with it but entirely too many that wouldn't - which is that type B we keep referring back to.

I repeat it again for the masses: The next time you (general you) feel a need to report someone over a conflict, ask yourself if you would still be doing so if you had won the fight and killed them. If the answer is no, you should not be reporting them.

If I can change even one person's perspective on this issue I'll consider it a good thing.

Rev. Reene

Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/13/2007 08:01 AM CDT
Whatever happened to you can either a) take IC action or b) report but not both? My one and only caution came from killing someone for being unresponsive and attacking the stuff in my room and then reporting him for possible afk scripting. I don't know that this isn't being done still, but from the gists of the posts here, I'm feeling like it isn't being done enough.

War Hawk Maulem~

Read the Barbarian Seven!
http://tinyurl.com/gksan
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/13/2007 09:09 AM CDT
Does this mean that someone might rob, insult or bother your character for no reason and leave you with no like way to respond without inviting conflict? Yes.

Does this mean that you may have to forfeit inserting yourself into arguments or fights, even between your friends and someone you believe is being excessively cruel to them? Yes.

Does this mean holding your tongue when you feel the desire to speak rudely about someone, whether or not you think they're listening? Yes.

And the above is why so many people cry/report. They want their cake (the ability to trash talk) and eat it too (report you when you choose how to deal with it).

-Galren Moonskin

Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/13/2007 12:47 PM CDT
If the majority of all reports are just a waste of time....which is the supposition of most of you...then why hasn't DR eliminated report? Or put extreme sanctions on those who are on the losing end of a report? Since it is a business after all, if Reporting is such:
a) waste of time for GM's
b) such as hassle for the majority of players

why does it even exist?

Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/13/2007 01:55 PM CDT
>>why does it even exist?

To be helpful to those that use it for the right reasons. They can't help if it gets abused.

Look at scripting. You can always ask... why does scripting exist? It exists to help people from doing so many repetitive actions by hand. Does this mean it can't be abused? No.

And if you're in denial that reporting is using up a lot of GM resources then maybe you should try to check on it yourself. There's been more than just one GM who claimed that it's using up a lot of their time.

No one's trying to leap at your neck about this Alden, but from what I'm seeing, there's obviously a lot of stuff that you didn't know.

Vinjince

- Sima Yi
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/13/2007 08:14 PM CDT
>>why does it even exist?

It exists so that the guy who is whispering creepy/stalker-ish things to you can be taken care of.

It exists so that the guy camping your grave, killing you without any provocation what so ever can be restrained.

It exists so that you can let the GMs know when something is seriously broken (like you fell through a room and trapped in a place with no exits)

It should not exist as a tool to "get back at" someone who just whooped you for running your mouth. Sadly, from what I've seen (and I've seen it used a lot against me) this is how it is used the most.

-Galren Moonskin

Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/14/2007 05:33 PM CDT
>>It exists so that . . .

What about when the little snotrag whose face you just rearranged logs in his 110th circle "brother," or is that still role-playing?
_

Moon Magic 101:
"A lethal spell is defined as a spell which, by itself, can cause the death of anyone other than the caster." --GM Armifer
Re: my 2 coppers on the consent argument 10/14/2007 06:57 PM CDT
>>What about when the little snotrag whose face you just rearranged logs in his 110th circle "brother," or is that still role-playing?

If this 110th circle "brother" came out of nowhere and shanked you then yes, that is a valid reason. Would I report? Nope, I'd go hunt him down with Galren and give him a taste of his own medicine.

If the brother is clearly and distinctly RP'ed differently and found a way into the conflict, that is one thing, but to just log in, show up and attack... no that is lame.

-Galren Moonskin

Prev_page Previous 1 3