Prev_page Previous 1
Being set to open 10/14/2010 07:41 AM CDT
Ok before someone assumes this has affected me in any way shape or form... you would be wrong.

>steal ***
As you begin to reach towards ***, you hesitate.
[Stealing from another player signifies your willingness to engage in Player versus Player conflict, and as such will set and lock your PvP stance Open. If you're sure, perform the action again in the next fifteen seconds. If you don't understand what this means, type PROFILE HELP PVP.]

H>steal ***
[Your profile setting has been locked Open for at least the next four hours. Further player stealing will reset this timer but not message you.]

ok I get this, yes it makes sense and thats fine. Makes a lot of sense that when I steal from 1 person, EVERY person in the WHOLE game gets to kill me!

Yet....

>snipe ***
You remain concealed by your surroundings, convinced that your moving to fire went unobserved.
< Moving well, you snipe a barbed arrow at *. * attempts to evade, taking the full blow. The arrow lands an earth-shaking strike that partially splits the sternum, snapping some ribs surrounding the heart.

Hmmm strange! I just murdered someone with a snipe... and I dont get set to open.

Sorry but someone really needs to rethink this. It makes no sense AT ALL. Either BOTH should set you open, or neither should. But the whole idea that stealing from someone should make you open game for everyone, but murdering people is fine and shouldnt is absurd
Re: Being set to open 10/14/2010 07:53 AM CDT
Just as an FYI more and more systems are being integrated with the PROFILE system. It just takes time to make sure proper hooks are in place and don't make things asplode.

Sure would be nice if we could just snap our fingers and everything magically coded themselves into the PROFILE system. Along with the 50 bazillion other things on the Dev team's plate.

GM Turmis

"I've had good days and bad days and going half mad days."
Re: Being set to open 10/14/2010 09:01 AM CDT
>>Just as an FYI more and more systems are being integrated with the PROFILE system. It just takes time to make sure proper hooks are in place and don't make things asplode.

>>Sure would be nice if we could just snap our fingers and everything magically coded themselves into the PROFILE system. Along with the 50 bazillion other things on the Dev team's plate.

>>GM Turmis

My apologies. I wasnt aware that the PROFILE system was a brand new thing.
Re: Being set to open 10/14/2010 09:53 AM CDT
>>My apologies. I wasnt aware that the PROFILE system was a brand new thing.

Who do you play?

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Being set to open 10/14/2010 09:54 AM CDT
<<>>My apologies. I wasnt aware that the PROFILE system was a brand new thing

You might consider dialing down the douschery until you educate yourself.
Re: Being set to open 10/14/2010 10:09 AM CDT
I agree that sniping someone should set you open. At least with the current version of snipe.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Being set to open 10/14/2010 11:18 AM CDT
The reason, at the moment, that SNIPE doesn't set you to open immediately whereas STEAL does is that you are required to have consent before you SNIPE but you are not required to have any for STEAL.

That being said, we plan to integrate PvP attacks more into the profile system when we can.

-Z
Re: Being set to open 10/14/2010 01:12 PM CDT
If snipe sets you to open automatically will the policy of unconsented sniping not remove the ability?

But also at the same time I have to have ask the question to everyone else. Is it worth setting yourself to open to everyone else if you have consent on someone and want to snipe them? Suddenly they sick all there higher level buddies on you because you sniped and didnt have consent before.

Wanderer Larze
Guardian Rhamist

Re: Being set to open 10/14/2010 01:20 PM CDT
>>Is it worth setting yourself to open to everyone else if you have consent on someone and want to snipe them? Suddenly they sick all there higher level buddies on you because you sniped and didnt have consent before.

Not if you view being Open as the worst thing that can be done to mankind.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Being set to open 10/14/2010 01:28 PM CDT
Being set to open can suck if you play an antagonistic character. When I got set to open for just killing a few open people I died a bunch of times and so I just played my other characters till I could be back to guarded. But I also have quite a few people that don't like my character so they just hunted me when they they found out I had been set to open.

The moral of the story is don't be a jerk IG and get set to open or it all comes back on you ten times worse.
Re: Being set to open 10/14/2010 01:37 PM CDT
>>The moral of the story is don't be a jerk IG and get set to open or it all comes back on you ten times worse.

I'd argue instead that the moral of the story is to not be a jerk IG unless you can handle other people being a jerk back to you. Kind of like the golden rule, treat others as you want to be treated.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Being set to open 10/14/2010 04:22 PM CDT
>>When I got set to open for just killing a few open people I died a bunch of times and so I just played my other characters till I could be back to guarded.

You know what's fun to do is be Guarded and see how many open people you can get away with killing, and how many people you can report for "harassing" you for it without getting set to open.
Re: Being set to open 10/14/2010 04:37 PM CDT
It's fun until one of your reports goes to me. Then it's not so fun anymore.

--
[Melete] There's a beard integer, but it frightens me.
Re: Being set to open 10/14/2010 04:43 PM CDT
>>It's fun until one of your reports goes to me. Then it's not so fun anymore.

>warn wiking interact
Re: Being set to open 10/14/2010 05:31 PM CDT
People use in game aggression for more then just regulating in Game actions. They also attempt to regulate someone's posting style with in game retribution, like the two have anything to do with each other.

See : http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=2&topic=9&message=4901

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Being set to open 10/14/2010 05:40 PM CDT
I highly doubt Vinjince was asking so that he could go beat up the poster's text.

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: Being set to open 10/14/2010 05:47 PM CDT
lol so gullible and naive, Yamcer.

I've never been the type of player to kill someone over something OOC or randomly. It's amazing how people get so accusative over that simple question. It's funny.

-GM Abasha
Re: Being set to open 10/14/2010 06:35 PM CDT
<<People use in game aggression for more then just regulating in Game actions. They also attempt to regulate someone's posting style with in game retribution, like the two have anything to do with each other.>>

This.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Being set to open 10/14/2010 06:37 PM CDT
>>This.

Ignorance is Bliss
Re: Being set to open 10/14/2010 06:38 PM CDT
>>Ignorance is Bliss

Least I wasn't the only one thinking it.

Khorgar ~ facepalm
Re: Being set to open 10/14/2010 07:29 PM CDT

Back on topic - Being set to open. Not posting styles and potential ramifications.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Being set to open 10/14/2010 09:46 PM CDT
>>Being set to open can suck if you play an antagonistic character.<<

No. If you play an antagonistic character, you should expect that your roleplay will give people enough reason to kill you, regardless of your PvP setting.

The only time getting "set to open" sucks for an antagonistic player is if they're trying to play policy games with other characters and get away with crap that should get them killed in the first place.

I fully expect my RP to invite attacks from others, though I chose to be open months ago. It's simply a matter of being honest with yourself about the way you play the game. If you can't TAKE the heat, get out of the kitchen. If you don't WANT the heat, don't turn on the stove.

Clerics are on the sectual radar.

Just to be clear - I didn't do it. Not sure who did, but it wasn't me.

- GM Raesh
Re: Being set to open 10/14/2010 09:58 PM CDT
>The only time getting "set to open" sucks for an antagonistic player is if they're trying to play policy games with other characters and get away with crap that should get them killed in the first place.

>This.

~Sulakhan

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: Being set to open 10/15/2010 01:10 AM CDT
My infractions just got the Graves to chain kill me. It just shows that set to open sucks when there are a few people in realms that take the profile to heart and make it a vendetta. I earned the killings no doubt, but people tat take advantage with no interaction because they are bigger just make being open not good option for some people. Stealing 2 gold leaving you open to a realms with griefers that can just prof (person) sucks and that is why PC stealing is done for alot of thieves. I started a Paladin heh
Re: Being set to open 10/15/2010 01:46 AM CDT
I like to think of these stories as wonderful examples to learn from for people who have not really experienced 'griefing' as anything other than being the initiator, and they are great validation of how the change is working as intended.

-Z
Re: Being set to open 10/15/2010 02:47 AM CDT
I have to say that I've had fairly positive experiences being on open pvp stance which I completely did not expect as I was pessimistic abut being in Crossing. I've been on open pvp stance for about a month and have not been ganked much in Crossing. The only sort of griefing I received were fom Guarded players, to be quite honest.

I got killed twice in one day by a guy who was angry that he got his gweth smashed that he chose to kill my character eventhough the one who did the smashing was another person who I'm assuming could easily hand his bum on a plate.

I guess he thought I was linked to that person because I do sometimes hang out with the...err...less reputable crowd as I find them amusing to watch. I guess the infamy rubs off on me. Haha.

But other than that, life went on quite normally.

While there are good and bad points to all the stances, I think that for the most part, the implementation of these stances have an overall benefit. It's just unfortunate that some jerks are giving the guarded stance a bad name.
Re: Being set to open 10/15/2010 03:49 AM CDT
Still being set open for stealing, but not for PvP actions is ridiculous. If you were going to roll out changes maybe make them all at the same time or in a short period of time. Ruined Trader hunting as they script away for me. If I can just kill someone but not be open, then taking some coins/gems from them and being open doesn't make any sense. Maybe it's just my opinion, but the more major hurt of someones day should have probably been coded first.
Re: Being set to open 10/15/2010 04:31 AM CDT
> Ruined Trader hunting as they script away for me. If I can just kill someone but not be open, then taking some coins/gems from them and being open doesn't make any sense. Maybe it's just my opinion, but the more major hurt of someones day should have probably been coded first.

Wow, and Zeyurn gets another story to validate the PVP Stance changes.

Stealing is an easy and obvious initiating stance Open activity.

PVP conflict is not so easy to validate.
Re: Being set to open 10/15/2010 05:00 AM CDT
the casual grab for the pockets <i.e. front of the bank stuff> is gone for good. however, you can still "work" the traders. just select carefully, and then after you're done, go chill out in the passages or the guild like thieves used to do back in the early days of the game.

If you're in it for the money though, shoplifting is the way to go. most traders that make significant coin have moneybelts.

CVC <Yeah, I still use the old term- Character vs Character should NOT equal player vs player> stealing doesn't teach for squat though. thats the part thats hard to take. because of the legacy of the old "steal each other blind" in the guildhall. That part wasn't "ganking" of people, that was genuine RP and fun for the folks that participated, as all knew going in what was going on and what was going to happen, and either brought coins if they thought they could keep 'em, or didn't. And thats the part that shouldn't have gotten the "profile" tweak.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Being set to open 10/15/2010 07:47 AM CDT
<<Still being set open for stealing, but not for PvP actions is ridiculous.

This is flawed thinking. Stealing IS a PvP action. To think otherwise is pure stupidity. As the GMs have stated, they're working on adding other actions to the profile system so that they will set a person to open once they take that action.

Being set open for stealing has been in place for quite a few months now, you've known about it and chose to steal anyway, so quit your belly aching and take your lumps.

Necromancy brings out the Stupid in us all. -Armifer
Re: Being set to open 10/15/2010 08:01 AM CDT
for stealing anywhere other than inside the thieves guild, i would agree. But I still feel that stealing thief on thief inside the thieves guild should not set a character to "open".

Re: Being set to open 10/15/2010 08:16 AM CDT
I don't know why anybody chooses to steal from players. As has been whined about before... the experience stinks, it sets you to open, the payoff is minimal, etc, etc. It's much more rewarding for both profit and experience to steal from shops. If it's a "RP" thing, great. You're character is now actively involved in trying to do something that you know is against the law, sets you to open, and as far as other game mechanics totally worthless unless... unless you are purposefully trying to annoy, harass, or otherwise grant consent to another player. There are consequences to your actions. Deal with it and stop whining about it.

Clerics are on the sectual radar.

Just to be clear - I didn't do it. Not sure who did, but it wasn't me.

- GM Raesh
Re: Being set to open 10/15/2010 10:18 AM CDT
Tweak the experience for stealing from players in direct proportion to the target's perception. Put a lengthy cooldown on learning stealing from players.

If you get caught, you learn nothing.

As a non-thief, having the danger of being stolen from adds to the game.
Re: Being set to open 10/15/2010 11:17 AM CDT
What I was saying is I don't steal from players anymore. Sure i could make a few plat stealing from scripting traders around Crossing, but then I'm open. My point was that other actions that are going to/should set you open don't yet. It would have been better if they all rolled out at the same time or in a smaller time frame. You call it whining, but I'm just putting in my opinion. I don't even have to bother with stealing on my thief for a while to circle anyway.
Re: Being set to open 10/15/2010 11:20 AM CDT
The main other thing that would set you open is attacking other players a certain amount of times. Stealing is the most 'important' one to be there because you can do it without any consent or permission, meaning you're allowed to generically victimize people without things like warnings.

-Z
Re: Being set to open 10/15/2010 01:32 PM CDT
>>for stealing anywhere other than inside the thieves guild, i would agree. But I still feel that stealing thief on thief inside the thieves guild should not set a character to "open".

Gonif, please, I'm asking you politely, stop going on about this.

Everybody who reads the boards knows your position on this, nobody is in any danger of missing or forgetting it. Stealing while guild-sitting has no function in today's DR, and the GMs don't agree it needs to have a specific exception. Let's just move along.

Thank you.

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: Being set to open 10/15/2010 01:42 PM CDT
If you're so bent on gaining Stealing experience with no recourse from justice and/or players why not just utilize the TEACH system from inside the guild?

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Being set to open 10/15/2010 01:43 PM CDT
>I don't know why anybody chooses to steal from players. As has been whined about before... the experience stinks, it sets you to open, the payoff is minimal

I do it because I can pull 10-15 plat in about 5 minutes. That is WAY more than I can make in vines in that time. I know at later circles that will change, but at lower circles it can help a lot.

For the record, I have never been ganked on my thief who has been open since 1st circle. It looks like people are doing something wrong if they are getting killed once being set open.

~Sulakhan

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: Being set to open 10/15/2010 01:48 PM CDT
>>For the record, I have never been ganked on my thief who has been open since 1st circle. It looks like people are doing something wrong if they are getting killed once being set open.

The desire to enter the role of the victim is a strong one in modern society. Sartre spilt a lot of ink on the topic, if you're interested.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Being set to open 10/15/2010 04:22 PM CDT
One of the Bugs with stealing setting you to open is that you can get locked in for 24 hours not the 4 hours you should be.

If you steal from some one it automatically switches you to open, but you must manually switch yourself back. The timer on manual switches is much longer than the one claimed as the "penance" for CvC stealing.

The profile needs to automatically switch back after the timer is up, or the manual switching timer needs to recognize when the profile was switched automatically.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Prev_page Previous 1