Abuse of Disconnecting 06/28/2017 10:50 AM CDT
Something really needs to be done about the 99% disconnect rate at any sign of trouble. It's really quite absurd.

Just as an example, my necro was walking through an area and got hit by a cleric AOE spell. Naturally I get angry and start fighting back. There was two other players in the room, who immediately start assisting him. An empath and ranger. I ask the empath to stop healing the player who attacked me. No response. So I attack the empath too. Both ignore me, both subsequently disconnect. And now all three are back in the same area, same room, as if nothing happened.

There really needs to be some consequences here.
Re: Abuse of Disconnecting 06/28/2017 01:56 PM CDT

This is something that is addressed by you ASSISTing in game and speaking to a GM, as with any violation of policy that you see occur.

-Persida
Re: Abuse of Disconnecting 06/29/2017 03:41 AM CDT

>> This is something that is addressed by you ASSISTing in game and speaking to a GM, as with any violation of policy that you see occur.

I have logs of 50+ of people disconnecting in the last two weeks. Glass orbs, mob jars, Pvp, etc. Way too many to report. Plus, reporting is basically pointless. I rarely see GMs on, you can have a dude AFK farming the same room for 48 hours, report, and guy is still there for 48 more hours. A few weeks ago some guy was randomly slaughtering people for 2 days, 20+ kills, reporting did nothing.

Also, both Lich/SF + Genie come with pre-packaged logout triggers on low hp. I'd expect 90% of the population to be on some sort of low hp trigger.
Re: Abuse of Disconnecting 06/29/2017 04:24 AM CDT
>>I have logs of 50+ of people disconnecting in the last two weeks. Glass orbs, mob jars, Pvp, etc. Way too many to report.

If you have the names, dates, times, and situation details, providing them directly to staff in game is the way to have it addressed. There isn't anything that constitutes 'too many' to investigate or follow up on as far as we're concerned on the staff side.

>>Plus, reporting is basically pointless. I rarely see GMs on

You will often not see GMs on. We only show up to players when we're actively on duty for CE reasons. Even if we aren't on duty, we respond to REPORTs and ASSISTs when able. Don't let GM visibility stop you.

Please also note that I said to ASSIST, not REPORT. REPORT is for things that are literally game stopping, right this second emergencies where you need to see if someone is there right then to help. ASSIST is for issues that will not explode the game itself, but are in need of staff intervention. ASSISTs have a queue, and remain visible to GMs even if they log in later. They also stay in the queue even if you log out, then log back in. REPORT is one-and-done. If nobody really is there when you REPORT, no GM will see it if they log in later. It really is literally only set up for requests for emergency in-that-second help.

>>Also, both Lich/SF + Genie come with pre-packaged logout triggers on low hp. I'd expect 90% of the population to be on some sort of low hp trigger.

This isn't entirely accurate. It's just that there are big repositories where folks share scripts, and people often choose to use those, or to integrate aspects of them into their own scripts, such as popular triggers.

While they are commonly available, using any kind of combat logging triggers in your scripts is a terrible idea, as combat logging in both PvE and PvP can end up being mech abuse, which can lead to warnings, provided that a GM is made aware of the specific situation through the correct in-game channels.

Combat logging (even in PvE) can be mech abuse due to it circumventing aspects of the intended game -- such as death or penalties associated with death. We very much already have policy that covers this, however, it is something that a GM has to investigate, just like most policy violations.

Again, if you (or anyone) has evidence of situations in which any portion of game policy is being broken, please ASSIST in-game so that it can be addressed. We are not able to investigate and follow up on policy violation reports that come to us via the forums or any other non-in-game method.

-Persida
Re: Abuse of Disconnecting 06/30/2017 07:48 AM CDT
Posts were hidden

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
Re: Abuse of Disconnecting 06/30/2017 07:58 AM CDT
If you see someone afk scripting in game, please use the REPORT verb to let the online GMs know, who as GM Persida said might not be visible. As GM Persida described, REPORT is generally reserved for right-now emergencies, but this is another instance where it is acceptable to use it. Please do so once and leave the character alone.

Helje
Re: Abuse of Disconnecting 06/30/2017 02:01 PM CDT

I'm glad people are speaking up on the AFK scripting/combat logging abuse in this game. Thank you.
Re: Abuse of Disconnecting 07/12/2017 07:54 AM CDT

> I'm glad people are speaking up on the AFK scripting/combat logging abuse in this game. Thank you.

Do you want to kill the game? Because this is how you kill the remaining population of this game. We all know how many people are AFK for "5 minutes" that turns into hours. I think it's time the player base grew up and accept that this has been a fact since DR first started, with various levels of selective enforcement throughout that same time. I don't think it really matters much with the major rewards being generated through paywalls, and auctions have always been dominated by scripters or people who buy plat from them.

Create social rooms where scripting is not allowed, something the GMs can monitor. Empath's guild or other justice zones, for example. Officially allow scripting "in the wild" or in hunting zones. Harassment policies still apply, including not owning a hunting room, but maybe this will let people get back to enjoying the game without worrying about other player's solo experience.
Re: Abuse of Disconnecting 07/12/2017 02:07 PM CDT
>>Create social rooms where scripting is not allowed, something the GMs can monitor. Empath's guild or other justice zones, for example.

This idea is actually something I would love to see. One of the major problems with trying to be social is being drowned out by people scripting away. The Empaths' guild would be a prime location because people would still go to get healed, but they may actually stay if the majority of people there are present and not scripting for exp.

Of course, some empaths would naturally want to be able to gain experience via scripting while waiting, so it's not a perfect solution, but it's definitely something I'd very much like to see somewhere. It might be sold as a place to go drain and heal in between runs to fill up pools.

I personally am not in favor of allowing AFK scripting elsewhere, though. I think the main action that should be taken to combat AFK scripting is a limit on the amount of exp someone can gain in one day.

- Navesi
Re: Abuse of Disconnecting 07/12/2017 02:36 PM CDT
AFK scripting is a lost cause because the 'current' platform of DR is a pure time based advancement system. It's tedious and tiresome and really, really, boring. It's really not, after a few years.

The break points, where you can suddenly cast spell Y, or get ability X, or do thing Z, are awesome. But getting to them just boils down to how long you can stay logged in to the game.

The only way to change that is to change the underpinned game design, which seems unlikely.

I'd love to see a 'social hub' where scripting or AFK were both completely forbidden. If you want to be AFK, even to drain, you have to leave the area. Hell, turn off all EXP gain entirely. Disable atmo items too, while you're at it. Make the game as simple to view and interact with as possible, remove as much of the pointless spam as possible. Violence and stealing enabled, to encourage petty RP. But law enforcement also enabled to give it repercussions that echo across the game world.
Re: Abuse of Disconnecting 07/13/2017 08:09 AM CDT

> I'd love to see a 'social hub' where scripting or AFK were both completely forbidden.

The empath comment above is making me backtrack this to just AFK is completely forbidden with plat like penalties. The goal is to reduce spam, but you should be able to work on the game. Maybe allow you to research any skill in the game while in the room. It would work like the magic research system, but only work in the social rooms. This would be a draw to get people to these places, but it wouldn't be necessary or even the most effecient way to train overall.

> If you want to be AFK, even to drain, you have to leave the area.

Instead, do something like this.

> Disable atmo items too, while you're at it.

Only if it's breaking the game. Otherwise, send them to the ATMO window like they do today.

> AFK scripting is a lost cause because the 'current' platform of DR is a pure time based advancement system. It's tedious and tiresome and really, really, boring. It's really not, after a few years.

But this is true. You don't want to turn these 'social hubs' into chat rooms or gweth replacements, so experience gain should still be a thing. It could even be encouraged through various means. ATK players would go to these rooms to socialize and build a community while improving their own experience. AFK players, even the "in my head for 5 minutes crowd" would have to move out or risk serious reprecussions. You couldn't drag or teleport anyone into these rooms.
Re: Abuse of Disconnecting 07/13/2017 09:08 AM CDT
Disagree. The purpose is to push people into meaningful social interaction.

If you allow hub actions with exp gain enabled, it will just be the new empath guild where people AFK script. Forcing people out to AFK drain also cuts down on the number of 'safe space' zombies from F2P alts parking in the area.

Basically the only thing that should be done in the social hubs is social actions. Interacting, RP, chat, gweth, fighting, etc.

But no mindless scripting. No mindless teaching. No mindless drain.

People can do those anywhere else. Just not the social hub.

Drag/teleport should be enabled. If you're AFK and can't respond to a drag, you deserve to be punted.
Re: Abuse of Disconnecting 07/13/2017 11:51 AM CDT

> Basically the only thing that should be done in the social hubs is social actions. Interacting, RP, chat, gweth, fighting, etc.

You can already do all of this on the gweth and then connect somewhere if you want to fight it out, which happens. Think of the hub as a mini-plat. A way to give everyone what they want without requiring them to go all in on any one thing. You encourage the RP of plat. The open scripting of the fallen. The population and harrassment protection of prime. You can do what you want to do when you want to do it.

> But no mindless scripting. No mindless teaching. No mindless drain.

The point is that this happens. We all know it happens. It's been happening for YEARS, and I'd go so far as to say that the game expects this to happen. The amount of hours required to cap out this game is so high and so tedious that scripting or account sharing is almost mandated if you want to "win".

> People can do those anywhere else. Just not the social hub.

DR has always been as much about numbers as RP. Make a few social hubs that are highly restricted and a few that aren't. Think of the empath guild. You can make the infirmary an open room, and make the tea-room available to everyone, except what you can do in there is highly limited. We stop pretending that everyone outside of these hubs aren't scripting away, and the GMs focus their time on encouraging meaningful interaction in those gathering spots.

> Drag/teleport should be enabled. If you're AFK and can't respond to a drag, you deserve to be punted.

That's just going to create another way for griefers to grief.

> If you're AFK and can't respond to a drag, you deserve to be punted.

That ship sailed a decade ago.
Re: Abuse of Disconnecting 07/13/2017 05:11 PM CDT
Going by your logic, the empath guild is the perfect place as is. It offers everything you want, and has none of the 'penalties' for anything, so I have no clue why you're even responding.
Re: Abuse of Disconnecting 07/13/2017 05:17 PM CDT

Of course you wouldn't, but if you would read what I wrote then you would see what it has and doesn't have. It doesn't have the policy protection. It doesn't have the official stamp. It doesn't have the hook to bring people to this spot rather than other spots, such as expanded research. It does have plenty of AFK'ers. It does have a "quiet room", but without the things that make it quiet and only available to empaths. etc... etc... There's a reason I proposed it. I think it's a natural fit, but it's not quite there yet.
Re: Abuse of Disconnecting 07/13/2017 06:35 PM CDT
>if you would read what I wrote then you would see

I did and I do.

You want 'empath 2' for some reason. Literally, the same as what we have now. Literally.
Re: Abuse of Disconnecting ::NUDGE:: 07/13/2017 08:06 PM CDT
This isn't a conflicts folder, please address the topic and not each other.

Furthermore, the OP was about abuse of disconnecting, not AFK scripting. We're straying way off topic.

Helje