Worst scripting experience ever? 06/16/2015 11:27 AM CDT
Now that a few weeks have gone by and I'm slowly starting to laugh at this more than decide if I'm going to quit. I thought I'd share this extremely (hilarious? disastrous? cringe-worthy?) crazy set of events that lead to me losing 50% of my items (including rare things like HE gifts, alterations, etc), getting capped on Social Perversion, AND getting a ~4k plat Dokora fine.

So I was hunting as normal running various short scripts to train the variety of weapons I have been working on and then decided to run my debilitation script to lock and then sign out for a bit since I wasn't feeling too great. Well sure enough apparently I forgot to turn off pretty much my only script that doesn't have a time out part since I only use it for like 5 minutes of viscous goo explosions. I ended up passing out for most of that day and in the morning, I woke to find myself in Scripting Jail.

Now I've been busted before, I won't lie about that. But honestly this one felt bad. I kind of stopped caring about ranks now that there really is never anything to even do with them, so I have been extremely good about stopping to find a place and sleep even when I step away for only a minute or two. So consider myself feeling horrible about the fact I (rightfully) got busted.

As I go through the motions of agreeing to the policy again and leaving the jail, I discover I'm naked in town. I open my log and discover that my character had a whole drunken night I had no idea about. Dragon Priest Assassins eventually killed me (thanks to those darn bolts of theirs) and I waited out the spirit timer and autoressed at an altar (in town). That means my grave with all my items was ticking down until it spewed just about everything out of it while I was now in a justice zone continuing to cast a necromantic AoE Debilitation spell. As my items disappeared, I ended up getting arrested and end up in the court room where I continued to cast which compounded not only my Social Outrage to the max possible but fines which got up to somewhere above 4k plat dokoras.

All of this was pieced together from reading the logs wondering what in the world had happened.

So yes... remember to put timers in your scripts even if you don't plan on using them much at all. You never know what you might lose and it is amazing what attachments you can have to lines of text. If you were wondering where Sijan disappeared to for a few weeks that was it. I'm still trying to decide what to do and I've spoken with a few GMs and have emails into Feedback, but the outlook never seems good when you have to resort to that.
Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/16/2015 12:02 PM CDT
Wow, I don't know if I should laugh or cringe. That sucks, but I'm glad you owned it and decided to stick around. Something like that would make me feel the same way, regardless if it was my own fault.
Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/16/2015 03:00 PM CDT

Sounds like you weren't gaining any advantage when the GMs ran the script check on you. Should be reversed IMO. Is there a punishment for spamming or some such that would fit better?
Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/16/2015 03:05 PM CDT
>> Sounds like you weren't gaining any advantage when the GMs ran the script check on you. Should be reversed IMO. Is there a punishment for spamming or some such that would fit better?

He would have been gaining experience from casting a spell repeatedly. Obviously it's severely outweighed by the penalty for doing so in a justice zone, but still, it's AFK experience gain.

I

"It's intended for you to have to make choices with your spell slots." ~ NINEVAH1

"Sometimes I feel like I should make that my new forum sig." ~ GM Raesh
Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/16/2015 03:06 PM CDT
I'm not trying to refute the scripting check at all. I was scripting at the time and I was gaining an advantage (casts were giving experience at least I think they were even in the court room where I was nabbed).

This really is more of a cautionary tale to make sure you have timers in your script to end in case of emergencies that and I figured some people might enjoy the schadenfreude.
Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/16/2015 03:09 PM CDT

>> He would have been gaining experience from casting a spell repeatedly. Obviously it's severely outweighed by the penalty for doing so in a justice zone, but still, it's AFK experience gain.

He shouldn't be getting any debilitation exp? Maybe primary magic? Plus, if he couldn't cast in the court room thats 0 exp. Its like if your travel script broke and you ran between two rooms for 8 hours.
Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/16/2015 03:28 PM CDT
>> He shouldn't be getting any debilitation exp? Maybe primary magic? Plus, if he couldn't cast in the court room thats 0 exp. Its like if your travel script broke and you ran between two rooms for 8 hours.

Oh. Hmm. Good point? I don't have a Necro active to test it; if the spell doesn't cause experience gain - and assuming that the poster isn't omitting details about some other benefit he was gaining - then you'd be right: the scripting penalty would need to be reversed, and potentially some sort of monetary refund to compensate for being locked out of the game. But, again, that's making several assumptions; it's also not really our place to conjecture, since it's already been stated that it's in the hands of feedback. Either way though, it doesn't get him his lost items back, or negate the fines and DO.

I

"It's intended for you to have to make choices with your spell slots." ~ NINEVAH1

Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/16/2015 03:33 PM CDT
>> Oh. Hmm. Good point? I don't have a Necro active to test it; if the spell doesn't cause experience gain - and assuming that the poster isn't omitting details about some other benefit he was gaining - then you'd be right: the scripting penalty would need to be reversed, and potentially some sort of monetary refund to compensate for being locked out of the game. But, again, that's making several assumptions; it's also not really our place to conjecture, since it's already been stated that it's in the hands of feedback. Either way though, it doesn't get him his lost items back, or negate the fines and DO.

You can't get any debilitation experience unless their are monsters in the room. He could have been getting primary (arcane) magic experience. But it also sounded like he was in a non magic room too.

However, the GMs can also probably be like "You obviously tried to afk script... so busted." Still I would hate for this to be a precedent...
Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/16/2015 03:53 PM CDT
Actually, this experience has exposed that court rooms are intentionally magic castable rooms! Make sure you cast those charisma buffs if you have them before you get sentenced.

As for any other benefit, I was interacting with the game world and gaining (massive) fines! So maybe that counts, but like I said this wasn't me refuting that scripting was happening it was and I got rightfully caught.
Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/16/2015 03:58 PM CDT
I can't decide to laugh or cry at this. If nothing else you now have an incredible story about how you lost various things.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/16/2015 04:06 PM CDT
I actually wonder if you could pay for a restoral in this situation or if you're just out of luck forever.

Still, that really really blows.

Thayet
Follow @thayelf on Twitter for absolutely nothing of any value whatsoever!
Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/16/2015 05:19 PM CDT
This thread got me thinking...

Just as a thought experiment, do you think that it would count as AFK gain to disarm/pick boxes, while SLEEPing?

Arguing for it being AFK gain is obvious; you're getting treasure/coins. However, I feel that it could be argued that you're not actually gaining that treasure, because you already had it, it was just in a box. If you're SLEEPing, therefore not getting experience, then it could be said you're not gaining anything, just changing where it's located. In any case, the notion amused me.

I

Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/16/2015 05:23 PM CDT
>>Kuykend9: Just as a thought experiment, do you think that it would count as AFK gain to disarm/pick boxes, while SLEEPing? Arguing for it being AFK gain is obvious; you're getting treasure/coins. However, I feel that it could be argued that you're not actually gaining that treasure, because you already had it, it was just in a box. If you're SLEEPing, therefore not getting experience, then it could be said you're not gaining anything, just changing where it's located.

I think they would consider that gaining a benefit (loot), because even though it was in your possession, additional actions (disarming and picking) are required to have meaningful access to it.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/16/2015 07:51 PM CDT

I'm sincerely so sorry. That said, all I could think of is, "Dude, where's my gear?"
Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/16/2015 08:11 PM CDT
>>I'm sincerely so sorry. That said, all I could think of is, "Dude, where's my gear?"<<

It reminds me of the time I got a spirit death and lost everything holding on to a deader weapon until the 2 hour time was up.

Was in my guild hall,sleeping forgot it was a safe room and died.

M@c ~]X!j % %AN_rrWB5z4%p rBa =jZb*h[mp,0;pv` knIM%aJ|
WARNING: You are carrying an extremely large number of items on your person.
Having a very high number of items can cause character corruption or
Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/16/2015 08:13 PM CDT
Wow. I think you should win an award for this experience. I've had nightmares about dying while AFK and losing all my gear, but you've managed to take it to a whole new level.

I'll donate 100 plat to a "don't leave the game" fund. A small contribution to your fines. I've appreciated your forum posts and would rather you continue being here.

Oh and for gods' sake get yourself a house or something, lock up and use SLEEP!

- Navesi
Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/17/2015 09:31 AM CDT
>You can't get any debilitation experience unless their are monsters in the room. He could have been getting primary (arcane) magic experience.

Having just tested my script (to make sure it autoquits) in a room with no monsters, I actually wasn't gaining any experience or getting any benefit from the scripting. I WAS interacting with the game world, however being constantly casting and having each cast increase my fine and SO (although who knows when I reached the cap on that). So in a way getting nabbed and sent into scripting jail prevented me from getting even more fines.
Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/17/2015 09:43 AM CDT
>> Having just tested my script (to make sure it autoquits) in a room with no monsters, I actually wasn't gaining any experience or getting any benefit from the scripting. I WAS interacting with the game world, however being constantly casting and having each cast increase my fine and SO (although who knows when I reached the cap on that). So in a way getting nabbed and sent into scripting jail prevented me from getting even more fines.

I know you said that you're not trying to refute the scripting penalty, but if you were to do that, I think you have a strong case. Interacting with the game world while AFK isn't against the rules (unless something's changed), and the GM checking you should have - prior to the script check beginning - confirmed that you were either actively gaining experience, or treasure, or some other benefit. Obviously you admitted that you were inadvertently AFK scripting anyhow, and were gaining some experience for some portion of that time, but the rule for GM script checks (again, unless something's changed) is that they must witness your inattentiveness during a period of time that you were gaining a benefit. All in all, I think your SO and fine and item loss was sufficient to teach you the error of your ways [read: mistake], and a scripting penalty is just adding insult to injury. Bummer it happened to you, dude.

I

Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/17/2015 12:49 PM CDT
So this one time, a guy had a seizure and was rushed to the hospital, and when he got nailed for afk scripting the response was, we don't care.

I don't think you are going to get anywhere.

Character restoral is probably where you will have to go, good luck.
Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/17/2015 12:52 PM CDT
>So this one time, a guy had a seizure and was rushed to the hospital, and when he got nailed for afk scripting the response was, we don't care.

I doubt it was "we don't care", it was probably "we can't verify".
Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/17/2015 12:53 PM CDT
Yeah... it was the former, as we offered to indeed prove it.
Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/17/2015 01:36 PM CDT
Considering the penalty for your first violation is jusst a warning, it wouldn't be a big deal because nothing would come of it, so I don't really see the point in contesting it in the event of a legitimate but one time emergency. I would expect DR to be the last thing on someone's mind in a health emergency.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/17/2015 02:21 PM CDT
I love Pawn Stars, and one of the common lines in it is "It's not that I don't trust you, it's that I don't trust anyone."

People have come up with elaborate excuses for why they shouldn't be dinged for policy breaks. Some could be authentic, some are probably not, a few excuses have displayed such a poor understanding of how the game works that it'd require actual supernatural intervention to happen as the described.

The story here as a whole is horrific, but the AFK Scripting warning part, if it is a one-time anomaly, is pretty much ignorable these days. It's not worth sweating.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Calvino Italo
Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/17/2015 02:31 PM CDT

>> So this one time, a guy had a seizure and was rushed to the hospital, and when he got nailed for afk scripting the response was, we don't care.

>> I don't think you are going to get anywhere.

>> Character restoral is probably where you will have to go, good luck.

This is a different situation because that guy was gaining exp.

This guy was not, so there is no need for his reasons to be verified. It's binary. Gaining exp/benefit afk? Afk script warning. No exp gain? Afk spamming world? Mech warning/spam warning/etc.
Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/17/2015 02:42 PM CDT
Just to throw in again, I don't care about the scripting warning that much. Things happen. Mostly I'm just waiting to hear back from Feedback if there are any options about missing items.

Waiting for my SO to drain and even paying off that massive fine will come in time.
Re: Worst scripting experience ever? 06/17/2015 04:01 PM CDT
Thanks for posting your experience, that would be horrific for many reasons. I really feel like the fine is the worst part, I would hate to lose my unique or rare items, but getting over such a huge fine would be quite the pain.