Hunting policy 05/23/2015 06:43 PM CDT
So just seeking some clarification here, if someone's holding up the spawn in an area by either not attacking or attacking with a weapon that does so little damage they won't kill any creatures am I in the clear to just go in there and start killing stuff to fix it? Cause sky giants gets a little silly.
Re: Hunting policy 05/23/2015 07:57 PM CDT
From NEWS 5 24

Dateline 12/12/2003: CLARIFICATIONS TO POLICY REGARDING CONSENT

Theft:

Taking something from another player can be considered consent, regardless of method. This not only includes graverobbing, but theft of money, gems, items and kills. Yes, you heard that last part correctly. Nobody owns a room; that does not change. But, if the intruder insists on interfering with the occupying party's hunting, or begins to take items, skins, or kills that obviously should have gone to the occupants first -- then they (the intruders) ARE operating under implied consent. This does NOT mean that the occupants may shoot first and ask questions later. But it does mean that if they have reasonably requested that the intruders leave the items/critters be, and that request is not honored, then they have the right to seek recompense.

So, can you kill the critters they're currently fighting? Sure. Can they then kill you? Yeah. Choose your battles wisely.

I

"Could be worse, I could agree with Pureblade." ~ Samsaren
Re: Hunting policy 05/23/2015 08:00 PM CDT
I guess I should add that it needs to be a chronic behavior before killing happens. In other words, if they ask you to stop, and you don't, they can attack. Or if they ask you to stop, and you do, and then come back and do it the following day, they can also attack. It might also be in their best interest to WARN COMBAT you to make sure it's documented that they asked you to stop. Then again this whole point might be moot if you're PVP open.

I

Re: Hunting policy 05/23/2015 08:02 PM CDT

> I guess I should add that it needs to be a chronic behavior before killing happens. In other words, if they ask you to stop, and you don't, they can attack. Or if they ask you to stop, and you do, and then come back and do it the following day, they can also attack. It might also be in their best interest to WARN COMBAT you to make sure it's documented that they asked you to stop. Then again this whole point might be moot if you're PVP open.

I don't think that's the case. Many years ago, I had a thief that took a few boxes from a scripter. They eventually woke up and yada yada, the GMs were on their side.
Re: Hunting policy 05/23/2015 08:14 PM CDT
>I don't think that's the case. Many years ago, I had a thief that took a few boxes from a scripter. They eventually woke up and yada yada, the GMs were on their side.

I guess GM involvement is what I'm mostly concerned about in this matter, not so much consent. I guess to clarify I don't really care about taking their stuff. I just don't want to deal with screwed up spawn rates because someone wants to train/script stealth/defenses for over an hour without killing stuff.
Re: Hunting policy 05/23/2015 08:18 PM CDT
>> I don't think that's the case. Many years ago, I had a thief that took a few boxes from a scripter. They eventually woke up and yada yada, the GMs were on their side.

I'm sure most have heard this before, but no two situations are the same. The circumstances, which we don't need to know because this discussion isn't about you taking boxes from a scripter several years ago, severely alter the outcome. But as the policy is written in 5 24, the person originally in the room (Person A) has the right to ask the person who came into the room (Person B) to stop killing the creatures that Person A is fighting, and if Person B does not stop, Person A can attack, if desired. It is possible that Person A might attack without first asking Person B to stop, and if Person B calls on GMs for assistance, it might be ruled that Person A attacked without consent. Even so, given that in this case Person B (Esmian/YOUNGS14) was informed of the policy in advance via this forum thread, the likelihood of Person A getting a Warning is pretty slim. This is because, again, the circumstances alter the outcome. We can't know exactly what the outcome will be until it happens, but either way my advice is to not walk in and start killing creatures unless you are okay with the fact that you may be attacked. I'd also suggest that if the spawn in a particular area is low, the better solution is to mention it in an appropriate Suggestion thread, because if enough people ask for the spawn to be raised, it very well could be. I've seen it happen at least half a dozen times that I can remember.

I

Re: Hunting policy 05/23/2015 08:24 PM CDT
>> I guess GM involvement is what I'm mostly concerned about in this matter, not so much consent. I guess to clarify I don't really care about taking their stuff. I just don't want to deal with screwed up spawn rates because someone wants to train/script stealth/defenses for over an hour without killing stuff.

Oh, I see. Well, I'd say that GM involvement (against you, not by you) is also possible. If, for example, you come in and start killing Person A's critters, and Person A asks you to stop/attacks you, and you kill Person A, that's basically the end of the conflict; no GM intervention needed. If, however, the exact same thing happens tomorrow, now you might get a "you two should probably avoid each other" talking-to, if Person A calls GMs into the situation. If it happens again, now you're in Warning territory.

I

Re: Hunting policy 05/23/2015 10:30 PM CDT
Pretty much what's been said here. The short and sweet is you can go in and kill whatever critters in whatever room to your hearts content, and you are not breaking policy. If a person in one of those rooms takes offense to it, and says so, then they have consent to kill you for it. The only problem is if you make it a habit to kill their stuff, and it becomes a harassment issue then.

TLDR: You won't get in trouble for killing critters, but you can be told to avoid the player if it becomes a habit.
Re: Hunting policy 05/24/2015 12:42 PM CDT
Is the subtext here that they're not responsive and that asking them to be a good neighbor is not an option?

Mazrian
Re: Hunting policy 05/24/2015 05:31 PM CDT
>>Many years ago...

IMO, I wouldn't base how policy currently works on how a GM ruled on something in the past. Too much has changed with the game, including their overall policy on player conflicts.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.