the use of Double entendre words on the gweth 05/21/2015 06:09 PM CDT
Moved here by request.

Its interesting I received a nudge tonight for using a double entendre CrackerJack. Even received a few ring kudos for its use. Strange really considering all the blatant OOC.

M@c ~]X!j % %AN_rrWB5z4%p rBa =jZb*h[mp,0;pv` knIM%aJ|
WARNING: You are carrying an extremely large number of items on your person.
Having a very high number of items can cause character corruption or
Re: the use of Double entendre words on the gweth 05/22/2015 07:33 AM CDT
A nudge, not a warning?

What was your "double entendre"? Do you feel it was in character?

Elanthipedia search for the term: There were no results matching the query.

Wikipedia: The Cracker Jack name was registered in 1896.

Merriam-Webster: First Known Use: 1893

Are you surprised that you got nudged for being OOC or that you got nudged and you're assuming no one else got nudged? ;) It might've been funny--apparently if people contacted you, then it was indeed funny--but still OOC. I've been scolded in various games (although not this one, I pretend I'm nice here) for off-color jokes, and sometimes the admin who've contacted me have said things along the lines of, "That was hilarious. Never do it again."
Re: the use of Double entendre words on the gweth 05/22/2015 07:39 AM CDT

>>What was your "double entendre"? Do you feel it was in character?<<

The sentence was "'hmmmm popcorn, peanuts and caramel that sounds like a CrackerJack Idea. Perhaps you should make ans sell that.

Totally IC

crack·er·jack (krăk′ər-jăk′) also crack·a·jack (krăk′ə-)
adj. Slang
Of excellent quality or ability; fine.
[Probably from crack, first-rate + jack.]
crack′er·jack′ n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
crackerjack (ˈkrækəˌdʒæk)
adj
1. excellent
n
2. a person or thing of exceptional quality or ability
[C20: changed from crack (first-class) + jack1 (man)]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003
Crack′er Jack`
Trademark.
a confection of caramel-coated popcorn.
crack•er•jack (ˈkræk ərˌdʒæk)
n.
1. a person or thing that shows marked ability or excellence.
adj.
2. exceptionally fine.
[1890–95, Amer.; earlier crackajack, rhyming compound based on crack (adj.)]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
ThesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:
Noun 1. crackerjack - someone excellent of their kind; "he's a jimdandy of a soldier"
jimdandy, jimhickey
nonesuch, nonpareil, nonsuch, apotheosis, ideal, paragon, saint - model of excellence or perfection of a kind; one having no equal
2. crackerjack - something excellent of its kind; "the bike was a jimdandy"
jimdandy, jimhickey
thing - an entity that is not named specifically; "I couldn't tell what the thing was"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
crackerjack also crackajack
adjective
Slang. Having or demonstrating a high degree of knowledge or skill:
adept, crack, expert, master, masterful, masterly, professional, proficient, skilled, skillful.
noun
Slang. A person with a high degree of knowledge or skill in a particular field:
ace, adept, authority, dab hand, expert, master, past master, professional, proficient, wizard.
Informal: whiz.
Chiefly British: dab.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
TranslationsSpanish / EspañolSelect a language:
crackerjack [ˈkrækədʒæk]
A. N (= person) → as m; (= thing) → bomba f
B. ADJ → bomba, súper
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005

Want to thank TFD for its existence? Tell a friend about us, add a link to this page, or visit the webmaster's page for free fun content.

Link to this page:
Re: the use of Double entendre words on the gweth 05/22/2015 07:47 AM CDT
Fantastic usage, but I don't think you can count the 1890s as guaranteed IC. It's real late Victorian, and the truly safe bets for DR are like, Renaissance. And past then, it's up to GM interpretation.

Clever, but still! A lot of terms that are used today, even if they've been in use for over a century, "feel" modern, and you can't really escape that. Although you can argue it's silly. I like silly.
Re: the use of Double entendre words on the gweth 05/22/2015 07:49 AM CDT
I feel like if you'd said "that's a cracker jack idea" rather than "that's a CrackerJack idea" then you might not have been nudged, but either way I agree that it was a pedantic thing for whoever nudged you to do. Also, that was a brilliant joke.

At the end of the day, remember that a nudge is nothing significant. It's irritating - particularly when it wasn't justified, and I think we've all been there before - but it's also going to be forgotten by the GMs very quickly, and has no lasting impact on you. Chances are fair that you just caught someone who was in a picky mood and attention was on the gweth at that particular moment. Don't let it ruffle your feathers any more than it already has.

I

"Could be worse, I could agree with Pureblade." ~ Samsaren
Re: the use of Double entendre words on the gweth 05/22/2015 07:51 AM CDT
>>Although you can argue it's silly. I like silly.<<

Yes it is. I've decided to just not participate in the world wide gweth.

Re: the use of Double entendre words on the gweth 05/22/2015 08:11 AM CDT
Elfverhan, you are A+ in my book, buddy. Nothing but love for you, sir.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: the use of Double entendre words on the gweth 05/22/2015 08:23 AM CDT
I'm fairly sure we have what you would call to be Cracker Jack in the realms too. I know I've seen salted caramel popcorn before and I know there's peanuts around.

Usually when I observe people PvPing it is a problem with their stat assignment being much less than their opponent, and more often than not their opponent has higher skills than they were expecting. - Kodius

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time. - Sun Tzu
Re: the use of Double entendre words on the gweth 05/25/2015 06:41 PM CDT
>> Fantastic usage, but I don't think you can count the 1890s as guaranteed IC. It's real late Victorian, and the truly safe bets for DR are like, Renaissance.

lol

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: the use of Double entendre words on the gweth 04/17/2016 04:38 PM CDT
>>Fantastic usage, but I don't think you can count the 1890s as guaranteed IC. It's real late Victorian, and the truly safe bets for DR are like, Renaissance. And past then, it's up to GM interpretation.

Regarding language: Shakespeare was also Victorian, and we very much use the words he invented -- as well as the other words co-opted in that era -- according to Wikipedia, 30,000 from other languages and 1,700 invented by Shakespeare alone. We're also post Vowel-shift, and use modern grammar and words that were invented well after the Victorian era. And that's only a small gripe: Without even delving into linguistics, DR actively uses steampunk imagery borrowing heavily from the technology and fashion of the era in which the actual branded item existed, much less common use of the term pre-dating the brand.

In any case: Someone probably thought the term "Cracker Jack" originated with the modern brand "Cracker Jack" in an apparent genericization (think Kleenex, Band-Aid, or Thermos), without knowledge that the term pre-dated the branding. It's a nudge, so it's not a big deal. If it were a warning, there seems to be sufficient grounds to appeal it.

"Nobody cares about the feasibility of Sidhlot's portrayal of evil. That's not the point. He's older than dragons and so metal he poops viking helmets." - Armifer

"That is so not how magic works." -Raesh

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu-proxy R'lyeh
Re: the use of Double entendre words on the gweth 04/17/2016 09:34 PM CDT
>Shakespeare was also Victorian

Er.. No.

Shakespeare lived in the Elizabethan era. He died in 1616, 200 years before Victoria was even born.

Anabasis
Re: the use of Double entendre words on the gweth 04/17/2016 10:40 PM CDT
> Shakespeare lived in the Elizabethan era.

You're right. I wondered why it sounded funny. Did a quick Wikipedia crawl, and there was an article linking the two. Since I was multitasking, took it for granted.

My bad.

"Nobody cares about the feasibility of Sidhlot's portrayal of evil. That's not the point. He's older than dragons and so metal he poops viking helmets." - Armifer

"That is so not how magic works." -Raesh

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu-proxy R'lyeh