Times have changed. Policy and enforcement have changed? 04/18/2015 08:11 AM CDT
The last time I played this game was well over a decade ago. I left because the social environment had some pretty toxic elements, and my wallet could use some padding. The decade after was speckled with fond reminiscing of the game, usually closely followed by bitter recollections; all in all, it was clear throughout the years that I really wished I could come back to this game, but had a lot of reason not to. Now that I hear from someone else that free-to-play has become an option, I want to know if any issues that deterred me from the game have improved, and if new ones have popped up. I've been reading what I could over the past couple of days, and I like some of the changes I'm seeing, but I'd appreciate any other input current players can provide.

Back when I played, there was a consent system and all, but it was pretty useless for what I saw and gave some people more freedom for belligerence. Thieves and Barbarians in particular were high on my list of threats.

For a thief example, a hidden thief repeatedly steals from a guy, so guy starts SEARCHing for the thief. The act of SEARCHing granted consent for the thief to then snipe/backstab the guy because searching indicated that the guy wanted to do something to the thief. Guy is dead, conflict "resolved." Or maybe guy manages to kill thief because thief happened to walk back in unhidden, then guy gets thrown in jail for murder (which would've happened anyway, even if the guy managed to point the thief out of hiding). If I recall, there was an option to report thieves to guards, but then guards would just spend a couple of hours not finding the thief, and then stand down.

For a barb example, warmie's hunting in a room and casts Frostbite. Barb just happens to pass through the room. Barb comes back, "RAGH, you hurt my inner fire, now I hurt you!" Barb kills warmie.
As a small empath, I almost died because I casted Refresh on someone and had no idea they were a barb until then.

In my browsing, I see a lot about this Profile and PVP setting stuff, but what effect has it had?
If thief steals from guy and gets set to PVP-Open, does that mean guy can retaliate against thief with impunity now (aside from maybe getting thrown in jail still)? Or would searching for the thief still grant consent to relieve the guy of his spine, thereby "resolving" the conflict? Followed by thief just hiding for four hours to reset his PVP status.
Has thievery against players been deterred in general by this? Or is it still my top priority to run at warp speed to a bank if I have any coins onhand, and heavens forbid I have to be stuck on somewhere like a gondola along the way? I don't live in a country where it's safe enough to leave my front door unlocked, so I'm going to be cautious in general, but I'd like to be able to relax at least a little while exploring the game and take my time with shops.

I saw there's an option to ACCUSE <player> THIEVERY now to get your money back, assuming you had the skill to see them doing it in the first place. Does this only apply within town walls? Does it apply to everything they stole from you within a period of time, or only for the amount they stole for the attempt[s] that you noticed?

As for room effects and/or barbs.. What do you do now?
Just don't use AoE spells?
Suck it up and die if you hurt a random, overly-vengeful barb's inner fire on accident?
Re: Times have changed. Policy and enforcement have changed? 04/18/2015 09:10 AM CDT
AoE spells only hit things engaged with you unless you specifically cast them to hit the dntire area indiscriminately.

Simply searching by itself has never given consent, though pointing them out I think did. Additionally, if you were killed, that is not the point of "conflict resolved", you got a chance to retaliate once in a reasonable time frame.

You never see stealing anymore really because of it setting people open. What this means is that yes, you can retaliate with no issue other than a murder fine. So can anyone else who wants to jump in, even if they were not stolen from. Open profile basically means that you consent to all PvP for any reason or no reason. Consent goes away, though people still have to follow the harassment policy.

You could still be stolen fromm in theory on a long journey but there is no real reason to carry large sums a long distance (the biggest fest has portals from every major city, and has a bank on site. Even the smaller one coming up soon is right near town, and fest grounds basically as a whole do not allow stealing.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: Times have changed. Policy and enforcement have changed? 04/18/2015 09:53 AM CDT
>As a small empath, I almost died because I casted Refresh on someone and had no idea they were a barb until then.

You shouldn't ever be casting spells on anyone without their consent, regardless of guild. It's not a great idea if you're trying to avoid conflict. Casting spells on barbarians doesn't hurt them like it used to though.

For the actual PVP policies in game I'd recommend reading News 5 15, News 5 24, and News 5 25. Those cover a lot of what you're asking.

>>Or is it still my top priority to run at warp speed to a bank if I have any coins onhand

You're generally fine on the roads, but standing around somewhere like outside the Empath guild with a pocket full of coins is generally a bad idea.

>> Does this only apply within town walls?

Yes for the most part.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Times have changed. Policy and enforcement have changed? 04/18/2015 10:30 AM CDT

> I've been reading what I could over the past couple of days, and I like some of the changes I'm seeing, but I'd appreciate any other input current players can provide.

Here's the synopsis of how I feel.

Community: The community has matured over the last decade. There are a few new faces, and a lot of similar faces; however, the griefing and harassment has all but stopped. You still have someone playing around sometimes, but a simple whisper <person> I'm not interested will stop it in it's tracks. Likewise, there are so many people willing to go out of their way to help or answer a question. There are still the quite times where someone's scripting and only glancing at the screen every 5-10 minutes or losing you in the scroll, but frankly that's always been the case.

Gameplay: FAR AND AWAY BETTER!! I can't emphasize this enough. Arm worn shields, belt/wrist worn knives, magic 3.0, player crafting systems, armor/hinderance/weapons balancing have been an absolute game changer. It's a new game now compared to what it was 10 years ago. You have interesting choices to make, and I find it more fun.

Thievery: It's kind of a niche situation. I honestly cannot remember the last time I was harrassed by a thief now that player stealing isn't the best way to learn. I still lose my coins occasionally, but it's not as rampant as it once was. I wouldn't jingle a full coin pouch around the empath or ranger's guild, but I think players are more considerate on the gondola, barges, and ferries.
Re: Times have changed. Policy and enforcement have changed? 04/18/2015 11:47 AM CDT
>You still have someone playing around sometimes, but a simple whisper <person> I'm not interested will stop it in it's tracks.

The Warn command is also helpful as it gets put on record, especially if it's one of those rare and unique people you don't even want to whisper to.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Times have changed. Policy and enforcement have changed? 04/18/2015 12:36 PM CDT
<<The Warn command is also helpful as it gets put on record, especially if it's one of those rare and unique people you don't even want to whisper to.

The expand on this, a common misconception about WARN is that it commands the other player to stop (that the other party must take heed of it), and that's simply not the case. It is useful for OOCly communicating how you feel a situation and will only make a note that you used it and how the other player responds. This is especially useful in creating a paper trail if the situation deteriorates and you need to involve a GM.

More information is available under WARN HELP.

Nikpack
Re: Times have changed. Policy and enforcement have changed? 04/18/2015 04:14 PM CDT
To quote Solomon in regard to WARN - from his original post in 2006:

>WARN INTERACT is not something that should just be thrown around at will and its not something that is a "Magic Shield" meant to insulate you from unpleasant situations or unsavory people. You cannot WARN INTERACT someone to prevent them from stealing, to make them leave a room, or to make them pretend you don't exist, especially if you are the instigator of the problem(s) with that person or if you're unwilling to also hold up your side of the INTERACT bargain, namely, walking away or ignoring them.

More here: http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/DragonRealms%20Policy%20Discussions/Policy%20Announcements%20(Staff%20only)/view/19

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Times have changed. Policy and enforcement have changed? 04/18/2015 07:27 PM CDT
>> Simply searching by itself has never given consent, though pointing them out I think did.

Searching did, actually, as well as pointing. The rule was loose enough where as long as a person could guess from your actions that you intended to do them harm, then they were able to get away with killing you because it was judged as self-defense. Even though actions like searching and pointing, on their own, don't necessarily mean they're going to be followed by violence. Yet it happened.

On that note, I'm guessing that even with people set to Open, they're still allowed to defend themselves against you once you attack them, advance on them, prep a spell, etc., right? So if they're strong enough, they can get away with it still?

I mean, as much as I'd like for crimes to be duly punished, I feel it'd also be unfair if wronging someone meant you have to lay down and go "--> stab here <--". I mean, it's also wrong that violence/killing was the go-to solution to anything that upset anyone (and I hope that's not the case anymore), but I guess that's more a problem with people and lack of options within a system. Or just my problem for not liking it.

Anyhow, thank you, everyone, for the responses. I'll get around to all of the suggested reading material when I'm able, and I'm very glad to hear that the general community should be a lot more hospitable than what I remember.
Re: Times have changed. Policy and enforcement have changed? 04/18/2015 08:16 PM CDT
>On that note, I'm guessing that even with people set to Open, they're still allowed to defend themselves against you once you attack them, advance on them, prep a spell, etc., right? So if they're strong enough, they can get away with it still?

My understanding is that when Person A is 'open', this means anyone can engage them, at any time. So when Person B initiates PvP, regardless of Person B's profile, Person A can retaliate with an attack. Initiate here is defined a bit loosely, but I think 'engage', attack, etc. are needed? I don't think just prepping a spell, hiding, pointing out of hiding, or anything short of an actual attack/engagement is enough to grant consent (barring the obvious harassment issues).
Re: Times have changed. Policy and enforcement have changed? 04/18/2015 09:41 PM CDT
>>On that note, I'm guessing that even with people set to Open, they're still allowed to defend themselves against you once you attack them, advance on them, prep a spell, etc., right? So if they're strong enough, they can get away with it still?

Yes, if you make an attack towards anyone, regardless of the situation, they have the right to stomp a hole in you if they choose/can. If you do not want to be killed by another player, then the best course of action is to leave the area, even if you are the wronged party.

As already said though, the community as a whole is a lot more mature, and PvP trolls are far and few between. You will run into people who will try to engage you one way or another, but if you let them know you aren't interested in a polite way they'll typically leave you alone.
Re: Times have changed. Policy and enforcement have changed? 04/18/2015 09:45 PM CDT
As described in NEWS 5 31:

<<Open PvP Stance

<<The most simple yet complicated stance is the Open stance. Unlike Guarded and Closed, it has significant policy implications. By having this stance set, you are saying that you are open to all sorts of conflict, combat, etc. It does not give you the right to attack others, but it gives others (even others with their PvP stances not set to Open) the right to attack you. The essence of this setting is that all normal rules still apply, except that you completely waive your right to REPORT or ASSIST if attacked without consent. Clearly, this is a complicated subject, and explanations of the tricky bits follow in the next few paragraphs.

<<ACQUIRING CONSENT

<<Clearly, consent is not required to attack you - You've noted that you are interested in all sorts of combat by setting this stance. However, if somebody with a lower PvP stance attacks you, they DO grant you consent. As noted above, folks with these settings are not immune to the consequences of their actions. However, normal consent rules apply to you - Once consent has been satisfied with another party with a lower PvP Stance, the conflict is over and you no longer have consent.

tl:dr version: What Badgopher said is correct. If a Guarded, Closed, or Default person attacks an Open one, the Open person gains consent, which follows the normal consent rules.

I suggest reading the that NEWS article as there's more pertaining to the subject of profile stances and PVP.

Nikpack
Re: Times have changed. Policy and enforcement have changed? 04/20/2015 08:58 PM CDT

>>Searching did, actually, as well as pointing. The rule was loose enough where as long as a person could guess from your actions that you intended to do them harm, then they were able to get away with killing you because it was judged as self-defense. Even though actions like searching and pointing, on their own, don't necessarily mean they're going to be followed by violence. Yet it happened.

You're actually completely wrong and you seem to make false claims with great confidence for someone who hasn't played in a decade. Search and Point have, at no point in DR history, ever been consent to PVP.

>>On that note, I'm guessing that even with people set to Open, they're still allowed to defend themselves against you once you attack them, advance on them, prep a spell, etc., right? So if they're strong enough, they can get away with it still?

Get away with what? Being attacked? Yes, they can get away with being attacked. Just like always.
Re: Times have changed. Policy and enforcement have changed? 04/21/2015 07:50 AM CDT

<My understanding is that when Person A is 'open', this means anyone can engage them, at any time. So when Person B initiates PvP, regardless of Person B's profile, Person A can retaliate with an attack. Initiate here is defined a bit loosely, but I think 'engage', attack, etc. are needed? I don't think just prepping a spell, hiding, pointing out of hiding, or anything short of an actual attack/engagement is enough to grant consent (barring the obvious harassment issues).>

There is just so much wrong here I don't even know where to start. Person B initiates PvP but is closed/guarded, then they are not RPing to their profile. They can be reported for this. (like the guy a few days ago that went around literally killing every open he could find while using guarded stance) Prepping a spell, pointing someone hiding, calling someone's mom a bad name are all consent, especially if there is a conflict going(like searching for a thief that stole from you or someone else) Prepping a spell, any spell, is consent during a conflict since the other person can and should assume its to be used against them and not have to wait and see if its a bless or chain lightning. Same with search and point. Person does not have to wait and see if the search/point is going to be immediately followed by a cast/throw/arrow. Anything regarded as a threat can be considered consent.

TL;DR no you can't just kill an open if your stance is not also open. There has to be some context to justify why you are not RPing to your stated RP stance. Consent is covered by a WIDE array of actions, not just engaging or attacking.
Re: Times have changed. Policy and enforcement have changed? 04/21/2015 08:14 AM CDT

There is a bigger debate around PvP stances that you can easily find and been done to death. No need to drift into it. As far as some of your question, yes PvP opens can be attacked by really anyone. However, someone found targeting opens for no real reason can be forced Open themselves if they are closed/guarded.

So if you find yourself being stolen from you can resort to other mechanics outside of combat. No searching ain't consent. But if you start prepping spells in the midst of an RP interaction an offending thief could take that as you trying to assault them an engage you. In justice areas you can accuse a thief that you found going through your pockets and get your money back. Outside of justice zones you can't. But if you don't actually catch the thief you can't accuse. Its a good mechanic to deal with it.

And another great point made is most people on either side are willing to be considerate and never push any type of PvP down someones throat or harass them. I'm a PvP Open thief (only way to be) and I like to think I'm sensitive to now harassing a particular person too much. I'll back off when i get the OOC sense its bothering them too much. I've also found that the many champions who are much higher than me and will inevitably come after me after reasonable too. I get killed once and then its over. It works wonders talking OOC as the majority of players are good people. There are a few bad apples out there. I'd suggest not using the WARN interact and things lie that unless its a truley horrible situation. Just because my thief is stealing from you and oyu don't like it doesn't mean you should instantly resort to game mechanics to deal with it. Try RPing it out and see where it goes. Thats the point of the game for most people.
Re: Times have changed. Policy and enforcement have changed? 04/21/2015 09:33 AM CDT
>There is just so much wrong here I don't even know

Context matters.

Your context is that someone is doing this repeatedly, and isn't matching his profile.

My context (which I thought was self evident) was that these are two guys, not currently in a conflict, just sitting in a room. In that case (no ongoing conflict) searching, prepping a spell, etc. is not consent. Otherwise we could camp outside the empath guild and have consent on 99% of the people there.
Re: Times have changed. Policy and enforcement have changed? 04/21/2015 11:08 AM CDT

I would argue that pointing someone from hiding is in fact starting a conflict, since what reason would you have to do that other than to in some way stop someone from doing something? There has to be a reason for pointing someone, and it would take a tremendous reach of logic to come up with a reason that is non confrontational. If the hider is doing nothing but minding their own business, you are interjecting yourself upon them for no reason, thus can be considered a hostile action. If the hider is in fact up to no good and you are pointing that out, you have made an aggressive action to stop them. Either way, you are going out of your way to initiate a hostile environment. Shoot first and ask questions later, not wait til shot and then think up something violent to do if you are still alive. I would always err on the side of self-preservation.

And since when does it have to be a repeated action. If closed person A walks in and attacks open person B...they are clearly not playing a closed profile. If person A is guarded well same thing...guarded stance is defined as such in News 5 31...

Similar to Closed, Guarded is merely a way of expressing how you want to approach combat. It indicates that you're open to PvP as a mode of <conflict resolution>, but that you are still interested in following the general consent rules.

If you are guarded and NOT in a conflict, you are going against said stance by initiating anything. If more people understood this, life would be simpler for all. If you occasionally feel the need to attack someone for no reason...guarded is not for you.
Re: Times have changed. Policy and enforcement have changed? 04/21/2015 11:35 AM CDT

>> I would argue that pointing someone from hiding is in fact starting a conflict, since what reason would you have to do that other than to in some way stop someone from doing something?

By that logic, hiding around someone is starting a conflict.

>> There has to be a reason for pointing someone, and it would take a tremendous reach of logic to come up with a reason that is non confrontational.

Such as suspecting someone may be about to start a conflict, so you take precautions.

I consider pointing to be the same as watching. You're taking steps to de-escalate a potential situation before it becomes a violent one by making yourself a less inviting target. It's not a conflict in itself. It could be a resolution.
Re: Times have changed. Policy and enforcement have changed?::Thread Over:: 04/21/2015 11:42 AM CDT

This is not the PvP Profile thread you were looking for.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.