Going afk to drain experience 02/28/2015 11:11 PM CST
Is this against policy? Thanks,

-Telaroth/Tiruuns
Re: Going afk to drain experience 02/28/2015 11:41 PM CST
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Policy_command#Scripting_Policy

Short answer, no you can AFK to drain. Just stay somewhere secluded and put yourself into SLEEP mode to be safe.

I like to imagine that the popping sound of PD is kind of like the fire swamp.
Re: Going afk to drain experience 03/01/2015 01:08 AM CST
It's not against policy as long as you don't earn any new bits of experience or gain any benefit other than travel. E.g. loot.

This is actually the best way to go if you are planning on logging out for less than 8 hours because you can drain all your skills in approximately an hour whereas exp drain on log-in takes the full 8 hours to drain 100%. In those cases I use a script that inputs a harmless command (e.g. exp) every 5 minutes or so until all my experience is drained and then it logs me out. At the very least I always idle out rather than outright quitting unless I need to restart my computer or something.

It's also the only way to drain exp if locked out of exp drain on log-in by an official warning.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Going afk to drain experience 03/01/2015 06:43 AM CST
>>Short answer, no you can AFK to drain. Just stay somewhere secluded and put yourself into SLEEP mode to be safe.

>>It's not against policy as long as you don't earn any new bits of experience or gain any benefit other than travel. E.g. loot.

To add to the above, I'd also suggest doing it in a locked room. That combined with SLEEP is the best set of defenses against accidentally gaining any sort of advantages while not responsive to the game environment, and thus breaking policy. It also is polite to other players, since you will not be someone they wander across and try to interact with without a response in return, and it's a great way to help make sure you don't come back to a dead character with no gear and no clue how/why/when you died!

-Persida
Re: Going afk to drain experience 03/01/2015 09:22 AM CST
Let's follow this up with.

Where can I find, and how do I lock a room, do I need to be an estate holder and have a home or is there something else that I can use?

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Going afk to drain experience 03/01/2015 09:32 AM CST
Most inns will have a lockable room.

I believe your own home qualifies as a secure facility to drain in, though you'd have to make sure you didn't allow someone else access, etc.
Re: Going afk to drain experience 03/01/2015 12:01 PM CST

That said, if an estate holder you were friends with wanted to set you as their guest, you could also have access to their house.

Jalika
Re: Going afk to drain experience 03/01/2015 04:12 PM CST
How does one get a key to lock the room?

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Going afk to drain experience 03/01/2015 06:55 PM CST
>How does one get a key to lock the room?

If it is a simple lockable room, the room must be open and unlocked.

Then you go in, you close door, you lock door. Room is locked from the inside.

If the person who locked themselves in logs out, I believe the room will allow you to unlock it from the outside. Otherwise it can't be unlocked from the outside.
Re: Going afk to drain experience 03/01/2015 07:12 PM CST
They will auto-unlock once the room is empty.
Re: Going afk to drain experience 03/02/2015 12:34 PM CST
>>Then you go in, you close door, you lock door

LATCH is the command for locking the door. UNLATCH for unlocking. Just in case syntax was the question here.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Going afk to drain experience 03/02/2015 05:46 PM CST
I was seriously just wanting a straight forward walk through, because I've been in hotel rooms, and tried to lock them, and the system response was something like, where's your key.

---
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Re: Going afk to drain experience 03/02/2015 07:34 PM CST
look
[Taelbert's Inn, Lobby]
Though many such inns dot the landscape, Taelbert's is known as especially hospitable to locals and wayfarers alike. Here in the lobby, clerks busy themselves behind an antique mahogany counter, seeing to the needs of guests and directing the activities of the rather large staff.
You also see a wooden staircase.
Obvious exits: south, west, out.
> climb stair

>
[Taelbert's Inn, Hallway]
At one time, this inn must have been a private home, which explains the relatively few rooms available for guests. Several doors open up off this second floor hallway, which makes a sharp turn to the north at the far end.
You also see an oaken door, a blue door, a wooden staircase and a narrow door.
Obvious exits: north.

>
Mapped exits: climb wooden staircase, go narrow door, go blue door, go oaken door

go door
Bonk! You smash your nose.
> go other door

[Taelbert's Inn, Blue Room]
Sky blue walls and indigo carpets combine to give this room a cool, soothing atmosphere. The mahogany four-poster bed is covered with a patchwork satin comforter in shades of green and turquoise, offering a striking counterpoint to the crisp white, lace-edged linens that peek out from underneath.
You also see a blue door and a mahogany nightstand with a bouquet of blue irises on it.
Obvious exits: none.

>
Mapped exits: go blue door

close door
You close a blue door.
> latch door
The latch twists easily and snaps closed with a crisp "CLICK."
Re: Going afk to drain experience 03/02/2015 07:51 PM CST
Heh, I can't help but giggle whenever I see the infamous Blue Room.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Going afk to drain experience 03/02/2015 07:59 PM CST
It reminds me of the Blue Oyster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlGclIZV5JQ

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Going afk to drain experience 03/02/2015 07:59 PM CST
It reminds me of the Blue Oyster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlGclIZV5JQ

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Going afk to drain experience 06/02/2015 03:48 AM CDT

Hi. Is it possible to get more rooms? Or have one room where all us afk drainers can sit safely?

With f2p and more players, I often find it difficult to find a spare room in the Inns.

Thanks
Re: Going afk to drain experience 06/02/2015 07:25 AM CDT
>> Hi. Is it possible to get more rooms? Or have one room where all us afk drainers can sit safely?

It isn't really a necessity to be in an inn-room, that was just a suggestion for extra super double safety. If you use the SLEEP command, and AVOID !ALL to keep yourself from being moved, you can park yourself in just about any secluded spot (of which there are literally hundreds in Zoluren alone) and you'll be quite safe.

I

"Q: This is stupid. / Work on something we actually need changed! / Why aren't you working on something I want you to work on?
"A: Kindly shut up." ~ GM Naohhi
Re: Going afk to drain experience 06/02/2015 09:18 PM CDT
>>It isn't really a necessity to be in an inn-room, that was just a suggestion for extra super double safety. If you use the SLEEP command, and AVOID !ALL to keep yourself from being moved, you can park yourself in just about any secluded spot (of which there are literally hundreds in Zoluren alone) and you'll be quite safe.

Thanks - this is exactly what I used to do.

But I saw a GM PSA on CHATTER saying it's better I find a locked room, due to invasions, to be really safe.

I understand it's not a big deal or priority, just wondering if there is an easy solution, even if temporary. There are a few times, when I'm completely afk for a few hours. Wouldn't want to come back to a character that auto departed and lost experience.

Well, thanks for reading.

Cheers!
Re: Going afk to drain experience 06/02/2015 10:41 PM CDT
Even inside the bank gets invaded sometimes. Locked rooms are really the only way to go.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Going afk to drain experience 06/02/2015 11:06 PM CDT
>> But I saw a GM PSA on CHATTER saying it's better I find a locked room, due to invasions, to be really safe.

As a general rule, I'd say that any room that requires you to pass through two portals or more (ex; go building, then go arch; or, go door, then climb stairs, then go hatch) to get to is probably safe enough. Even in the case of invasions, monsters don't typically go through doors and stuff; if they're in a building, a GM probably put them there. Is a latched inn room safer? Sure. But we're really talking about a difference of 98% safe versus 99% safe.

>> I understand it's not a big deal or priority, just wondering if there is an easy solution, even if temporary. There are a few times, when I'm completely afk for a few hours. Wouldn't want to come back to a character that auto departed and lost experience.

This is a legitimate concern with any script, and the method to getting around it is to not write scripts that are perpetually entering commands. To give you an example, here is my "I'm going AFK to drain my EXP" script...

put sleep
put avoid !all
loop:
pause 300
match loop 34)
put exp
matchwait

It's probably the most basic script I use, but I can translate for anyone reading this who isn't savvy with these things. The first thing it does is put me to sleep and turn on my avoids, then every 5 minutes it checks my experience, and if it sees "34)" - which is at the end of every line of experience - then it gors back to the loop and waits another 5 minutes. In the event that I do die, I will get a message like "But you're a ghost!" when it checks my experience, which will not trigger the return to the loop, and in twenty minutes (or whatever it is) I'll get knocked out of the game. It also will stop working when I run out of field experience, since if all my EXP has drained I don't have a reason to stay logged in.

I

"Q: This is stupid. / Work on something we actually need changed! / Why aren't you working on something I want you to work on?
"A: Kindly shut up." ~ GM Naohhi
Re: Going afk to drain experience 06/03/2015 12:22 AM CDT

>>As a general rule, I'd say that any room that requires you to pass through two portals or more ....

Got it, thanks. Will look out for such places, I think they shouldn't be hard to find.

>>here is my "I'm going AFK to drain my EXP" script...

Thanks for this. Makes sense, I will make one as well. I just had a basic LOOK script going and would check the screen once in a while, then log out manually when clear.

Cheers!
Re: Going afk to drain experience 06/03/2015 08:41 PM CDT

also...totally disregard whoever said being AFK while traveling is ok. Anything in a travel script that causes you to learn anything(the mud on the NTR, swimming, climbing, hell even a trigger to listen if someone tries to teach you, can and will get you an AFK warning(I got one for crossing the ropes from Theren to Rossman's while afk due to the climbing) unless you put yourself into sleep mode before traveling, and even that can get you a warning since you are not locked in a room(say AFK on the ropes where you literally cannot respond to a script check and easily lose it in the scroll). My advice, don't travel while afk.
Re: Going afk to drain experience 06/03/2015 09:08 PM CDT
<<also...totally disregard whoever said being AFK while traveling is ok. Anything in a travel script that causes you to learn anything(the mud on the NTR, swimming, climbing, hell even a trigger to listen if someone tries to teach you, can and will get you an AFK warning(I got one for crossing the ropes from Theren to Rossman's while afk due to the climbing) unless you put yourself into sleep mode before traveling, and even that can get you a warning since you are not locked in a room(say AFK on the ropes where you literally cannot respond to a script check and easily lose it in the scroll). My advice, don't travel while afk.

SLEEP prevents any issues with afk travel. AFK travelling has been specifically listed as an exception to scripting policy by GMs several times over the years with the clear caveat of any experience or other benefit accrued. Hence why I said 'or gain any benefit other than travel.'

<<unless you put yourself into sleep mode before traveling, and even that can get you a warning since you are not locked in a room

This is false. You will automatically pass a script check if you are in SLEEP mode for the duration of the check and there is no other benefit being gained. A travel script while in SLEEP mode does not provide any benefit other than moving you from location A to location B. You're not gaining any loot, you're not casting a spell on another, you're not teaching a class, etc.

The benefit of being locked in a room has is so that nothing bad happens to your character, like death. It has no bearing on the success of failure of a script check.

<<(say AFK on the ropes where you literally cannot respond to a script check and easily lose it in the scroll)

This is a laughably implausible situation given that there is no scroll while on the ropes, so it would be easy to see one happening even in the initial stages. And a complete script check lasts far, far longer than it takes one to cross the ropes. Responding as soon as you get off the ropes would be more than adequate to pass it.

Re: Going afk to drain experience 06/04/2015 06:09 AM CDT
>>also...totally disregard whoever said being AFK while traveling is ok.

Hi! That may well have been me! Please don't disregard me, I'm a GM.

Being AFK while traveling is FINE, as long as you do not gain exp or another appreciable in-game advantage other than moving from location A to location B (this is usually stuff like getting coins / skins / gems / boxes from critters, though there are other more niche things that could count here). Simply moving from one place to another is NOT 'gaining an advantage' as far as the purpose of the policy against gaining while being unresponsive to the game environment.

>>Anything in a travel script that causes you to learn anything(the mud on the NTR, swimming, climbing, hell even a trigger to listen if someone tries to teach you

Yes, there are parts of the game that could cause someone to gain exp during traveling, and if you have any script triggers or routines active that are there to help you gain exp, running those while AFK could potentially put you in violation of policy. All of that is why being in SLEEP mode is important any time you're away from the keyboard for any reason.

>>unless you put yourself into sleep mode before traveling, and even that can get you a warning since you are not locked in a room(say AFK on the ropes where you literally cannot respond to a script check and easily lose it in the scroll).

I'm not sure exactly what's being said here, but I'm reading it like you're saying that someone could fail a script check even if they are not gaining any exp or other advantages, are in SLEEP mode, and are just moving around. That is not accurate to how the policy is written or enforced. While I'd be really dubious of any claims to this having occurred, what I can absolutely say is if you ever perceive that to be the case for yourself, please write to the Feedback or Lockout departments (depending on what happened in response to your bust) and ask them to look into the check.

You also can literally always respond to a script check if you are there to see it, even if you can't use verbs where you are for a mechanical reason. As GMs, we will see what you are attempting to input into the game, regardless of if the parser allows that command to go through. My advice would be to attempt to do what the check is asking you to do, and if you find that you can't, attempt to REPORT. Even if neither of these go through due to peculiarities of mechanics in specific spots in the game (and it is extremely, extremely rare that something blocks REPORT, and for good reason), the GM running the check will be able to see your valid, relevant attempts at responding, and that itself is good enough to pass a check.

>>Previous stuff about being behind closed and locked doors.

That PSA on chatter that you saw was also possibly from me! I like to mention it especially because of the possibility of coming back to your character being dead.

Being behind a closed and locked door is one of the very few ways (other than logging out) that can as close to 100% prevent environmentally caused deaths in the game as I can promise. Yes, invasions inside of buildings are more rare than those in the streets. They do happen, though. And when they do happen, it really won't matter if you're beyond more than one portal. All that prevents are (some, not all) creatures' natural wanderings taking them to you. It does not prevent invasion mechanics from having creatures show up in your lap. It also doesn't prevent OTHER storyline elements that may be dangerous from happening where you are.

So yes, you can get pretty safe by being in SLEEP mode while AFK in an out of the way place inside a building, even if you aren't behind a closed and locked door. You would be fine in that situation as far as script checks go, in fact (as long as you're not gaining any other advantage)! But if you want to be your absolute safest as far as environmental dangers go AND have another layer of protection against accidental exp gain juuuust in case you forget to go into SLEEP, behind a closed and locked door is your best bet.

If you're having a hard time finding open public rooms like that and that extra protection is important to you, I highly suggest making friends with people who are home owners IG! Premium subscribers, as well as players purchasing homes via Simucoins, have the ability to have their very own closed and locked areas. They can also designate guests who will then be able to get in their homes even without the home owner present.

You could also purchase a home for yourself, if you so desired. Check out https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Homes for more information if you're interested in that.

-Persida
Re: Going afk to drain experience 06/04/2015 10:54 PM CDT
Remember, too, that there are multiple inns in Crossing, and I'm pretty sure there are lockable rooms in Leth, Arthe, Dirge, the caravansary, and I think Kaerna. Probably Ilaya, but I've never checked, and anyway mud leech things are terrible for novices. But I've never had a problem finding an inn room in Zoluren.
Re: Going afk to drain experience 06/10/2015 09:28 AM CDT
I know this is almost a week old.

>You also can literally always respond to a script check if you are there to see it, even if you can't use verbs where you are for a mechanical reason. As GMs, we will see what you are attempting to input into the game, regardless of if the parser allows that command to go through. My advice would be to attempt to do what the check is asking you to do, and if you find that you can't, attempt to REPORT. Even if neither of these go through due to peculiarities of mechanics in specific spots in the game (and it is extremely, extremely rare that something blocks REPORT, and for good reason), the GM running the check will be able to see your valid, relevant attempts at responding, and that itself is good enough to pass a check.

This is AWESOME to know, and also explains how I passed a test so long ago, when I was so what the heck, and befuddled, that I couldn't seem to enter commands right, plus I think I was climb practicing at the time, which doesn't allow certain commands to be done.

You learn new stuff every day.

---
DR-SOCHARIS

---