Prev_page Previous 1
Respec Question 01/14/2013 07:38 AM CST
With our stats being wiped, might it be useful to get ourselves to town for training? I'm curious if there's any plans teleport people to the nearest province town in the event of someone getting stuck for not having sufficient, say, strength, to cross a barrier.
Re: Respect Question 01/14/2013 07:39 AM CST

Mind you, the title is supposed to be 'Respec Question'
Re: Respect Question 01/14/2013 07:47 AM CST
I would imagine since there is a week worth of time prior to it happening that any characters should move inward. Besides there really isnt any way for this to be an issue unless you climb a barrier then purposefully respec your stats before going back. The respec isnt automatic, you choose when or if you wish to do so. Spell respec doesnt matter since that will coincide with the spell review giving access to all spells.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: Respect Question 01/14/2013 07:48 AM CST
Respec is an option, not mandatory.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Respect Question 01/14/2013 08:52 AM CST
<<Respec is an option, not mandatory.>>

This.

I don't plan on respecing my thief at all, since i'm down like 600 tdps with 3.0.

at least until they grandfather additional magic ranks when they get around to hooking thief khri into the magic system, which won't take place until after 3.0 has been out, debugged, and the GMs take a cruise in the caribbean...

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Respect Question 01/14/2013 09:00 AM CST
Ah, gotcha, thanks.
Re: Respect Question 01/14/2013 02:59 PM CST
I plan to respect twice after converting all my Mech lore into smithing. Once to set most statst to 30, then run wisdom and intel up to 100+ each. I will then spend a couple of weeks trying to convert my Lore bonus pool into smithing (doing hard WO's), while listening to a class in Mech Lore. I will later convert this mech lore into stone carving so I can work chakrel. When I convert all my lore bonus pool to smithing/carving, I will then respect again setting everythign to 70, then move up stamina, strenght, reflexes and disc up to my final desired vaules.

OH and I will run lever 4 RPAs' while doing this.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Mechanical Lore Grand Master of M'Riss
Re: Respect Question 01/14/2013 03:05 PM CST
Ya, that's mech abuse I bet. Not remotely the intention of a system.

And it's respec. Not respect.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 03:19 PM CST
I have posted this plan before and had no comment from a GM that it is considered abuse vs smart usage of what we are being given. I posted here again so a GM can post saying it is abuse if it is.

Again I am the one that thinks I have already spent the time to convert all the bits in the bonus pool to ranks and having to learn down again is simply double dipping my time. We should just be able to set it where we want like moving mech lore into the crafting skills. I lost on this long ago, but it stilbugsgs me.

______
Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 04:07 PM CST
Hm. I hadn't really considered the extremes to which the dual respecs can be used, such as this. It may be the case that with proper explanations of what each stat does, one respec is all that is really necessary to give people the tools to make the right choices.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 04:29 PM CST
Lol, I was going to say all this is going to do is get the second stat respec taken away, but Socharis beat me to it.
Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 04:42 PM CST
Or it may not. You still need to decide. :-) If you do eventually find this plan of mine objectionalbe, say "It is Mech Abuse, to do this. DON'T!", leave it at 2 respecs and move on to something else.

______
Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 04:52 PM CST
>>say "It is Mech Abuse, to do this. DON'T!", leave it at 2 respecs and move on to something else.

It's not mech abuse, it's a design flaw with the two-respec system. It can't reasonably BE mech abuse, because there's no hard line that we can point at to say "This. Don't do this." because there are so many reasons people might WANT to do that that are legitimate and not designed around trying to drain their bonus pools as fast as possible.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 04:53 PM CST
>If you do eventually find this plan of mine objectionalbe, say "It is Mech Abuse, to do this. DON'T!", leave it at 2 respecs and move on to something else.

Ya. That will certainly stop people.

Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 05:08 PM CST
Socharis, I have 889 lessons in vocals and 979 in mech. How long would it take to convert 889 ranks of bonus pool into smithing/stone carving doing weaponsmithing WO's and listening to a class in stone carving, months or years?

I just want to get it converted in a reasonable amount of time LEGALLY. Like I said, I already learned down the 889 ranks once.

______
Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 05:14 PM CST
Also, was there any word on being able to turn on/off the bonus pool per-skill set? Even if it were on a largish timer, it'd be nice to be able to not use it for some things.
Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 05:17 PM CST
>>How long would it take to convert 889 ranks of bonus pool into smithing/stone carving doing weaponsmithing WO's and listening to a class in stone carving, months or years?

Are you saying that you want to know how long it takes to move the 889 (mostly effort-free) ranks of vocals you're getting in your bonus pool into a real skill if you were to train only one skill from 0 ranks? Probably a while. Less time than it takes to go from 1-889 now, of course, because the rate of draining that bonus pool will increase with every rank.

However, if you're also training your mech, or if you were to put mech into Engineering and train engineering starting at 979 instead, you'd re-earn those bits much faster, since high ranks pulse bits WAY faster than low ranks.

I know you're REALLY excited to empty your bonus pools, but the rate of bonus pool drain isn't going to be changing.

--

Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 05:21 PM CST
>> months or years?

Quicker than you might think. Codiax made a post when Test first opened showing the drain rate of the bonus pools, and at the ranks you are talking about you will use those bits very quickly. Without knowing your exact numbers, and other info (play time/style and other factors) I'd say months at the most if you do nothing but focus on the lore pool.

The way I seem to remember it working is the higher the skills you are training then the more bits per pulse that it is going to use.
Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 05:35 PM CST
>>Also, was there any word on being able to turn on/off the bonus pool per-skill set? Even if it were on a largish timer, it'd be nice to be able to not use it for some things.

Oh, yeah, that. Just added it to Test. Syntax is EXP BONUS TOGGLE {SKILLSET}. No timer at this time but I'm considering adding one per-skillset.

--

Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 05:43 PM CST
>>No timer at this time but I'm considering adding one per-skillset.

As the skillset bonus isn't timed, I don't think it can be abused in the same way an RPA can be. Just thought I'd throw that out there :)

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 06:13 PM CST
>then run wisdom and intel up to 100+ each.

On a related note, I think learning rates should be completely standard and unaffected by any stats. Int/wis will be important for some guilds and not for others, why should some characters get a learning rate bonus for raising their important stats? Or, tie learning rates for each guild to two stats in the SOI.
Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 06:28 PM CST
>Oh, yeah, that. Just added it to Test. Syntax is EXP BONUS TOGGLE {SKILLSET}. No timer at this time but I'm considering adding one per-skillset.

Typo:

>exp bonus toggle lore
You will no longer drain additional experience frmo your Lore bonus pool.

That's for all toggles.

~Minstrel Ascot, Bladesinger of M'riss
Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 06:28 PM CST
I think this discussion is a non-starter - We're about five days from release, so major changes to the way experience works at a fundamental level aren't really on the table right now.

--

Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 06:30 PM CST
>On a related note, I think learning rates should be completely standard and unaffected by any stats. Int/wis will be important for some guilds and not for others, why should some characters get a learning rate bonus for raising their important stats? Or, tie learning rates for each guild to two stats in the SOI.

Do I really need to point out why this is stupid?

Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 06:46 PM CST
There was some discussion at one time about teaching/scholarship not being bonused from lore bonus pool, or maybe toggable. Is this happening or am I misremembering?

______
Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 06:49 PM CST
>>>On a related note, I think learning rates should be completely standard and unaffected by any stats. Int/wis will be important for some guilds and not for others, why should some characters get a learning rate bonus for raising their important stats? Or, tie learning rates for each guild to two stats in the SOI.

Strength and reflex would be the exp stats for barbarians? What would be the point of int/wis then? Or are you suggesting we move to a model that has god stats and dump stats for each guild, sort of like D&D?

I think, at this point in DR's history, you're talking about a game that is not Dragonrealms, much like whenever someone suggests eliminating skillsets.
Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 06:49 PM CST
>>There was some discussion at one time about teaching/scholarship not being bonused from lore bonus pool, or maybe toggable. Is this happening or am I misremembering?

The only available toggles will be per-skillset.

--

Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 07:01 PM CST

I would like to throw it out there that there are those of us who are not waiting to convert 800+ ranks of vocals who very much want to retain two stat respecs. I promise I won't abuse my 41.60 free ranks!

(Not trying to be sarcastic, just a little humorous).
Re: Respect Question 01/14/2013 08:55 PM CST
>>With our stats being wiped

Stats aren't being wiped.

You have the option to respec your stats.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 10:19 PM CST
>>Hm. I hadn't really considered the extremes to which the dual respecs can be used, such as this. It may be the case that with proper explanations of what each stat does, one respec is all that is really necessary to give people the tools to make the right choices.

Please don't change well-intended game design based on a semi-harebrained idea that wouldn't even really work all that well. If he wants to completely give up hunting, plus potentially give himself more burden and longer forging RTs to deal with, just to work off his bonus exp pools slightly faster, I really don't see why anyone would care.

Isn't there going to be a limited time on how long the free respecs are available anyways? That's seems good enough to me.

Apu
_
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Apu
Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 10:52 PM CST
>>Isn't there going to be a limited time on how long the free respecs are available anyways? That's seems good enough to me.

There is, but it's a matter of months. The two respecs were a reasonable thing to do, but to be totally honest I don't think there will be a whole of reason to USE two respecs. We're going to have the stat information pretty available (hopefully in HELP), and there aren't any major changes to what stats do except in the face of some of the SvS contests. The goal behind giving two respecs was to give people time to understand what the impact of the changes was, but more and more I'm realizing that the actual changes to the way stats impact daily life are few.

--

Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 11:01 PM CST
I know this is a far fetched question but is there any way (and this may be too much to ask) that when you type respec it will tell you what youd get back in tdps? Im fine with only one respec but my worry is not knowing if Im short changing myself by doing the respec. My character was made long before the days of set racial starting stats and over the years Ive bought spell slots, erasures, etc. This coupled with the fact that Im going to be circling about 30 times when 3.0 hits (what can I say... I like the new MM reqs better heh) means that Im totally unsure of if Im gaining or losing anything by respeccing or not.

If all that is covered by the tdps Ill get upon the conversion then peachy and I can just modify my current stats, but if the respec will alter my tdp amount Id like to know before I potentially shot myself in the foot.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 11:07 PM CST
>>Im totally unsure of if Im gaining or losing anything by respeccing or not.

Hmm. Your TDP total won't change at all whether or not you respec. The main difference is, when you respec, you'll have all of the TDPs you currently have, except instead of being spent on stats, they'd be in your TDP pool. I'm not actually sure what more you want to know? If I can find out what you want, I'll put it into the confirmation you have to put in before you respec.

--

Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 11:09 PM CST
>Your TDP total won't change at all whether or not you respec.

Is there any way to tell if you have TDP debt? That information would be really nice.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 11:10 PM CST
>My character was made long before the days of set racial starting stats and over the years Ive bought spell slots, erasures, etc. This coupled with the fact that Im going to be circling about 30 times when 3.0 hits (what can I say... I like the new MM reqs better heh) means that Im totally unsure of if Im gaining or losing anything by respeccing or not.

I think you're misunderstanding, the RESPEC isn't due to TDPs changing.

What will happen will be the system will basically calculate how many TDPs you should have under the new system, subtract however much your currect stats cost, and apply that to your character. This happens regardless of whether you RESPEC or not.

The RESPEC is for people who may end up with negatives and want to get rid of them (this is still a bad idea, but some people want to) or feel 3.0 requires them to switch their stats around.

Again, if you're owed any TDPs due to non-perfect starting rolls or scrolls or spell slots, they'll be added to your character regardless of whether you RESPEC.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
> If all that is covered by the tdps Ill get upon the conversion

This. The only thing respec does is refund the tdps that are currently tied up in your stats.
>Is there any way to tell if you have TDP debt? That information would be really nice.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 11:13 PM CST
>>Log into the test server and type INFO.

Or EXP or TDP

--

Re: Respec Question 01/14/2013 11:15 PM CST
Thats more or less what I wasnt sure of.

>>The RESPEC is for people who may end up with negatives and want to get rid of them

I knew this part so Ive been tryin to figure out if it was just taking your stats down to base or if it was doing some other number voodoo. My biggest concern was that like I mentioned Im from a time before set stats and Im pretty sure I didnt script for perfect rolls, I just took what I got. So I wasnt sure if that was part of the TDPs we were simply given since for all intents and purposes I spent TDPs on stat points that I shouldnt have to get the to the new current baseline.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Respec Question 01/15/2013 12:11 AM CST
>>The two respecs were a reasonable thing to do, but to be totally honest I don't think there will be a whole of reason to USE two respecs.

It took me at least 4 respecs on the test server before I got my stats to look like how I wanted them. It's not like there is any way to plan out your stats beforehand, so a couple times I screwed myself over by not leaving enough to train my final stat. Also with no way to train up to 99 in a single command, a couple times I accidentally overtrained past 99 and would've wasted a ton of TDPs (especially the time I went up to 120)

Now sure if I was paying attention as if my life depended on it, I would not make any of those mistakes and one respec would be plenty. But why make something an enormous pain in the ass for everyone in the game just to stop Magdar from emptying his bonus exp pool a tiny bit faster? It's not even all that great an idea - if you really want to punish him you should force him to go thru with it and keep his stats that way until he empties his entire bonus pool

Apu
_
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Apu
Prev_page Previous 1