Prev_page Previous 1 3
Hangback 12/29/2012 01:26 PM CST
Hey everyone. Just brainstorming here a bit and wanted some feedback...

What would you think about allowing hangback to work as follows?

- Selectable ranges (pole-range versus missile)
- Auto-retreat every few seconds to maintain this distance
- No RT
- The fatigue hit per retreat would be nominal, really just to prevent exhausted people from using it.
- There is a skillcheck involved with each retreat to succeed.
- If your athletics is on par with the enemy skill, you'd generally do well (>70% success).
- If a player or boss monster engages with you, Hangback would break and force use of RETREAT as normal.

This essentially lets you hunt at-level, without being at melee the entire time. You would occasionally critical fail the hangback, and be unable to retreat for a few seconds (cooldown, not RT) allowing the enemies a chance to hit you. But then it would pulse and you'd re-position yourself once more.

With a mechanic like this PvP is not affected, and ranged users that have become used to staying entirely at ranged, can now fight mostly from ranged. You'll still get attacked occasionally, which is not a bad thing. But it prevents retreat SPAM and allows players to avoid the penalty associated with it.

It also opens up POLE ranged combat for people with pole ranged weapons. Again, you won't be able to stay at pole-ranged indefinately. But it will make those weapons much more appealing, especially when fighting hordes of enemies.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 01:49 PM CST
This version of hangback seems like a good thing to me.
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 02:01 PM CST
That sounds really cool -- So the offensive penalty associated with RETREAT wouldn't be applicable to hangback, as hangback is tailored to PvE. I like it!

Question, would HANGBACK train the Athletics skill?

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 02:03 PM CST
I like this idea too.
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 02:43 PM CST
>- The fatigue hit per retreat would be nominal, really just to prevent exhausted people from using it.

I'd suggest you would automatically HANGBACK STOP when hitting a certain fatigue level (exhausted). This is generally what gets you killed. Okay granted, its the RT in the current vers. that gets you killed, but still...
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 02:46 PM CST
Overall, I love the idea of it.

> Auto-retreat every few seconds to maintain this distance

I would be concerned that this wouldn't work terribly well for staying at pole range. Missile range should be find, due to the length of advancing; but if you're trying to stay at pole range vs 3-4 critters, my gut says that one or two of them will almost always be at melee with you. Is it at all possible to have the contest be for the actual advance? Eg. critter contests your athletics skill - if successful move to next range, otherwise stay at the current range (but stay in "advancing" state).

Also, how would this work against things that charge/jump to melee? I'm not sure how often they can trigger those abilities, so this might be a non-issue.
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 02:59 PM CST
I like this idea a lot.
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 03:03 PM CST
I like this idea too. Any chance of tying it in to tactics instead of or in addition to athletics?
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 03:05 PM CST
>>Kodius's hangback idea

Love it.
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 03:08 PM CST
Sweet!
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 03:08 PM CST
>>I like this idea too. Any chance of tying it in to tactics instead of or in addition to athletics?

This makes a lot of sense. I think the attacker and defender should use the higher of the two skills.
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 03:16 PM CST
Actually a hybrid Athletics/Tactics check would make sense both logically and thematically as it pertains to guilds.

Looking at skillset, the best guilds at Hangback would be in order as follows.

Top Tier
Thieves (Survival Primary + Lore Secondary)
Empaths (Lore Primary + Survival Secondary)
Necromancers (Survival Primary + Lore Secondary)

Middle Tier
Rangers (Survival Primary + Lore Tertiary)
Moon Mages (Survival Secondary + Lore Secondary)
Bards (Lore Primary + Survival Tertiary)
Traders (Lore Primary + Survival Tertiary)

Bottom Tier
Barbarians (Survival Secondary + Lore Tertiary)
Warrior Mages (Lore Secondary + Survival Tertiary)
Clerics (Lore Secondary + Survival Tertiary)
Paladins (Lore Secondary + Survival Tertiary)

~ Leilond
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 03:25 PM CST
Looks good to me. I like the idea of the Tactics skill playing a part in it.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 03:27 PM CST
And by thematically I mean, it makes sense that Thieves, Empaths and Necromancers should be better tailored skillset wise to hangback as they're the most focused on avoiding melee combat due to pets, stealth or otherwise. Conversly, Barbarians, War Mages, Clerics and Paladins are all about in-your-face combat and killing things, and less so about combat avoidance.

So consider my vote for a hybrid Athletics/Tactics skillcheck for hangback :)

~ Leilond
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 03:39 PM CST
I like it, I like it a lot.

I'm cool with Tactics playing a roll.

I'd like something down the line, maybe as some type of pole-arm weapon feat that allowed a player to press back people into polearm range (not that I'm a big Pole-arm user, but its something I see a polearm weapon expert being rather adapt at keeping an opponent at distance from him). This is in regards to fighting PvP and Monster (and is also just something I wanted to throw out there for back of the mind, things to add to lists for after 3.0 being released).

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 03:39 PM CST
>>Is it at all possible to have the contest be for the actual advance?

I'd have to toss my vote in for this as well. That way you're actually staying at pole. Missle is easy either way but I can see the issue keeping at pole.

I'm also for tactics rather than athletics. Or a combo. Tactics just makes more sense.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 03:53 PM CST
Since it takes 7 seconds to advance from missile to pole, but only 3 seconds to get from pole to melee, that means that someone using hangback to stay at pole is going to be making a skill check over twice as often as someone using it to stay at missile. So if the check is the same for staying at missile and staying at pole, this means the inevitable snake-eyes which keeps you temporarily at melee will be coming up over twice as often for pole users.

Since I don't think there's any reason why staying at pole should be harder than staying at missile (and in fact, I can think of a bunch of reasons it should be easier), I hope the check difficulty is adjusted to compensate for this. Basically, the check for staying at pole should be easier than the check for staying at missile.
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 03:58 PM CST
<I'm also for tactics rather than athletics. Or a combo. Tactics just makes more sense

Not really, I don't see how it would take a master strategist to keep your distance from something.
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 04:04 PM CST
>Not really, I don't see how it would take a master strategist to keep your distance from something.

Current tactics moves (circle, weave, etc.) are about positioning yourself vs. your opponent. Hangback is the same thing - positioning yourself and moving so that you stay at a distance.

>Since I don't think there's any reason why staying at pole should be harder than staying at missile (and in fact, I can think of a bunch of reasons it should be easier)

Really? I think it would be harder to keep 4 enemies between 5-8 feet away than 20-40+ feet away. I can see there being a bigger fatigue hit for hangback missile than hangback pole, though.
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 04:11 PM CST
<Current tactics moves (circle, weave, etc.) are about positioning yourself vs. your opponent. Hangback is the same thing - positioning yourself and moving so that you stay at a distance.

Yes, don't get me wrong. I think a split makes the most sense, but old escaping pretty much merged with athletics and that seems to have a lot of flavor to something like that also. Honestly at this point i'm not sure that the old non-damaging brawling moves should have went to tactics in the first place. Knowing how to do something is one thing, actually having the agility and what not to do it is another.
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 05:00 PM CST
Tactics makes WAY more sense for a hangback skillcheck than Athletics. I suppose having a combo check isn't bad, but pure tactics definitely makes more sense. I'd probably vote for a combo check of Tactics + Evasion over anything

On a related note, I don't see why Athletics would be trained by breaking armadillo webs instead of having this contest and train Evasion.

Is it really the intended design for Athletics to just be a skill that is automatically learned passively by being in combat hanging back and breaking webs, allowing everyone to climb and swim everything in the game? That really doesn't make sense to me.

Apu
_
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Apu
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 05:04 PM CST
It doesn't make sense that origami experience now makes a character a master weapon forger either, but eh. Changes. I don't really care what the contest is, though I think a hybrid is the best for all the reasons (and guild layout) that Leilond put down.
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 05:07 PM CST
>>It doesn't make sense that origami experience now makes a character a master weapon forger either, but eh.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that origami will no longer help forge weapons after 3.0? Confirm/deny?

You can't use "well other stupid stuff used to exist but was eliminated because it made no sense" as the justification for introducing NEW stupid stuff that makes no sense.

Apu
_
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 05:08 PM CST
>>Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that origami will no longer help forge weapons after 3.0? Confirm/deny?

This is correct. Once the crafts are available, mech stops working.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 05:17 PM CST
<<
Top Tier
Thieves (Survival Primary + Lore Secondary)
Empaths (Lore Primary + Survival Secondary)
Necromancers (Survival Primary + Lore Secondary)

Middle Tier
Rangers (Survival Primary + Lore Tertiary)
Moon Mages (Survival Secondary + Lore Secondary)
Bards (Lore Primary + Survival Tertiary)
Traders (Lore Primary + Survival Tertiary)

Bottom Tier
Warrior Mages (Lore Secondary + Survival Tertiary)
Clerics (Lore Secondary + Survival Tertiary)
Paladins (Lore Secondary + Survival Tertiary)>>

This looks good to me. Given this is a PvE/Non-Boss thing this seems pretty well balanced.
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 05:30 PM CST
>>Traders (Lore Primary + Survival Tertiary)

In case it matters, Traders are actually Survival Secondary and would be in that Top Tier by that metric

Makes sense imo, Traders should be pretty good at running away scared

Apu
_
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 05:36 PM CST
TraderPro says "Hey that thing looks dangerous"
>
TraderPro begins to analyze a Zombie King
BarbarianMan says "So what?"
>
A Zombie King begins to advance on TraderPro
>
TraderPro exclaims "Oh no..its coming at me!"
>
TraderPro begins to throw platinum at a confused Zombie King while maintaining his distance
Zombie King stops to collect a platinum Kronar!
>
BarbarianMan sighs
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 05:40 PM CST
Ahh my bad, I think I might be confusing myself with the skillset placements :P

~ Leilond
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 05:44 PM CST
<<Makes sense imo, Traders should be pretty good at running away scared>>

Only hangback is a function of engaged combat (albeit to a specific range), it's not flee.

I think there's room to argue that a whole bunch of skills could claim a piece of the calculation (evasion, tactics, armor, defending, athletics, melee mastery, missile mastery). I would prefer to keep the numbers within combat ranks, not something that is trained outside of combat (athletics).

Again, this isn't FLEE, the characters that should excel at maintaining specific ranges SHOULD be those heavily invested in COMBAT, not traders and necros.

I'd prefer a Melee mastery calc for maintaining pole ranged/with missile mastery used to determine missile range, used with Defending.

Barbs and Paladins should be the best at maintaining ranges IMO.
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 06:38 PM CST
<Barbs and Paladins should be the best at maintaining ranges IMO.

Yeah because keeping range in a suit of huge plate armor and massive shield makes a lot of sense.

If there was one guild that I would have to say should be the BEST at keeping range it would be the Ranger guild. I can certainly understand barbarian but not sure where paladins coming into play.
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 06:40 PM CST
Excuse me if I find the image of a Barbarian backpedaling funny :P

~ Leilond
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 06:50 PM CST
<<Excuse me if I find the image of a Barbarian backpedaling funny>>

Why are people conflating "hangback", with flee, or retreat? It's really about combat range management, not disengaging from combat (which IS FLEE, or RETREAT).
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 06:56 PM CST
>>Why are people conflating "hangback", with flee, or retreat?

Because the main use of hangback is staying at Missile range, which will involve constantly retreating away from the advancing enemies.

You have a valid point when it comes to maintaining pole range, but for the main use of hanging back, it IS constant retreating.

Apu
_
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 07:07 PM CST
<<Because the main use of hangback is staying at Missile range, which will involve constantly retreating away from the advancing enemies.>>

It's constant retreating in name because of the mechanical limitations of the game (although I'm sure it will have a separate code than retreat).

I'm sure "hangback" will involve more than just "retreating" as you are effectively seeking to maintain a specific range with something, if the target is retreating you are moving forward to maintain combat range.

Retreating/fleeing are acts of disengagement which really should not be condensed into the whole argument.

Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 07:13 PM CST
Bottom Tier

Ahh, this seems to be combat related. Why would barbarians be bottom tier? If we are, then there is something wrong on what is being taught and contended against. How abuot vs. parry?

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Mechanical Lore Grand Master of M'Riss
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 07:16 PM CST
It feels a little off to me that Rangers haven't been mentioned as a guild that would often want to be at missile or pole ranged. Quite a few of them are bow primary.
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 07:19 PM CST
>>It's constant retreating in name because of the mechanical limitations of the game (although I'm sure it will have a separate code than retreat).

No, it is not constant retreating "in name". It is actually constant retreating.

If someone is running at you and you want to keep the same distance between you and them, the only way to achieve this (excluding teleportation) is by running at the same speed in the opposite direction. This is known as retreating.

Apu
_
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 07:26 PM CST
I would side step and circle. But backpeddeling would be involved a bit.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Mechanical Lore Grand Master of M'Riss
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 07:43 PM CST
<It feels a little off to me that Rangers haven't been mentioned as a guild that would often want to be at missile or pole ranged. Quite a few of them are bow primary.

Perhaps you missed my post a while back where I said that Rangers should be among the best, if not the best guild at maintaining distance. At least missle range that is.

At any rate this isn't a pvp ability or anything and its mostly meant to alleviate concerns with training range while hunting and such. I would assume since that is the case that maybe it should just go along with Defending since most people would probably have a good deal of defending, at least at level with that which they are hunting.
Re: Hangback 12/29/2012 07:50 PM CST
the way I see it:

HANGBACK: A combination of backpedaling (athletics) and circling so as to put obstacles between you and your target (tactics).

RETREAT/FLEE: Pretty much turning your back and running (Athletics/Evasion).

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Prev_page Previous 1 3