Prev_page Previous 1
Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/20/2014 07:11 PM CST
I know Khri cooldowns have been brought up before, but I decided to investigate it a bit more. I compared a few Khri from prime, to khri in test. I put one up at a time, did a khri stop, and then timed how long it would take until I could start it back up. Was not sitting/delaying in test.

Khri Prime Test
Dark 10 120
Strike 10 155
Elusion 10 155
Prowess 12/13 155
Plunder 10 155

All time are in seconds.

I know others have said it, but I don't think cooldown's for these abilities should exist anymore provided you have the concentration to restart it (With exception of Eliminate/Vanish). At the very least, can these be looked at, or toned down?

Thanks!
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/20/2014 07:54 PM CST
>?I know others have said it, but I don't think cooldown's for these abilities should exist anymore provided you have the concentration to restart it (With exception of Eliminate/Vanish). At the very least, can these be looked at, or toned down?

I'll second that.

This was likely answered already but what is the reason for CD timers on Khri other than Vanish/Eliminate? I know that Barb abilities ahve minimal Stop/Restart timers and if I recall correct Kudios was looking to remove that what was it 2 min start/restart timer. Why not do same for thiefs limitation is Concentration pool much like the Inner Fire pool. If you sppamed multiple Khri you'd tank concentration pretty quick.
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/20/2014 10:24 PM CST
I do not plan to remove the cooldown learning timers on Barbarian abilities. There is a MEDITATE RESEARCH option if you'd like to train more optimally.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/21/2014 07:20 AM CST
You lost me Kodius. What do the learning timers have to do with anything?

The khri timers are Hard blocks on using the abilities, not learning from them. As in you can't start up an ability for at least 2 minutes after it ends, even if you have the resources to do so. That's the timer everyone hates on khri. Most, if not all, abilities allow you to start them right back as soon as they end if you have the mana/IF/etc to do so.
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/22/2014 11:36 AM CST
<I do not plan to remove the cooldown learning timers on Barbarian abilities. There is a MEDITATE RESEARCH option if you'd like to train more optimally.

Kind of confused here myself.. I was referring to Khri cooldowns regarding reusing the abilities, not anything Barb related.
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/22/2014 12:37 PM CST
I was responding to the poster who said they thought Kodius was going to remove barbarian learning cooldown timers or something.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/22/2014 04:02 PM CST
Re: Barbarians 3.1 on 01/08/2014 11:27 PM EST Kudious said in Barb folders: >>What if it removed the 60-second startup-time on Forms while in effect?
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/22/2014 05:42 PM CST
<<Re: Barbarians 3.1 on 01/08/2014 11:27 PM EST Kudious said in Barb folders: >>What if it removed the 60-second startup-time on Forms while in effect?>>

You're conflating the use of timers across abilities. The Barb "timer" is in reference to the bonus-scaling structure of forms; forms take a little while to actually reach max bonus.
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/22/2014 05:53 PM CST
The whole point is/was why have the timers on the Khri outside of the two PvP khri at all I equate Khri structure to Barb abilities structure. You have concentration for Khri and Inner Fire Pools for barb abilities. Same argument can be made for Magic users Mana Pools not infinate. Why build in a CD timer on Khri?
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/22/2014 06:01 PM CST
<<I equate Khri structure to Barb abilities structure>>

There's your problem.
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/22/2014 06:03 PM CST
Khri run off concentration Pool
Barb abilities run off inner fire Pool
Magic runs off of mana Pool

Pretty sure the whole intent of all these "magic" and "not magic" abilities was to have similar core mechanics and run off similar structures so they can be brought in line and "balanced"
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/22/2014 06:09 PM CST
<<Pretty sure the whole intent of all these "magic" and "not magic" abilities was to have similar core mechanics and run off similar structures so they can be brought in line and "balanced">>

Balanced/similar systems do not equate to replicas of each other.
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/22/2014 06:12 PM CST
Comparing Concentration to either Inner Fire or Mana is pretty silly.

>>Pretty sure the whole intent of all these "magic" and "not magic" abilities was to have similar core mechanics and run off similar structures so they can be brought in line and "balanced"

More that they run off a similar skillset than run exactly the same.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/22/2014 06:22 PM CST

Ok let me try this differently. Why is tehre a CD penalty for skills that you PAY to start and pay for its duration. Your basicaly told you have a tool box full of tools BUT you have 2 hands so only 2 tools at the time or if you are REALLY taltented you can balance multiple tools. HOWEVER once you put X tool away you are NOT allowed to take it out of the box again for X period of time. Why? Just because...
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/22/2014 07:34 PM CST
>>Why is tehre a CD penalty for skills that you PAY to start and pay for its duration

Because GMs don't want khri to run as infinite loops.

It's the same reason why Moon Mages don't have a cyclic TM AoE, Rituals require a Foci, Inner Fire's default state isn't 100%, you can only wear three rings despite having ten fingers, etc.

The cooldown isn't a penalty. It's part of the cost.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/22/2014 07:42 PM CST
>>The cooldown isn't a penalty. It's part of the cost.

Ok... what other guild ability works like this? Other guilds?
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/22/2014 07:43 PM CST
>>The cooldown isn't a penalty. It's part of the cost.

Spamming Khri will tank your concentration very quickly. You cant even if you wanted to not for any significant lenght of time.
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/22/2014 07:46 PM CST
>>Ok... what other guild ability works like this?

All guilds with khri who pay to activate abilities using concentration use this system.

Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/22/2014 07:46 PM CST
>>All guilds with khri who pay to a tiviate abilities using concentration use this system.

You lost me.
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/22/2014 07:49 PM CST
100% of guilds with khri have cooldowns.

Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/22/2014 07:51 PM CST
>>100% of guilds with khri have cooldowns.

I get that part of your answer. Doing a mental check list of all the guilds and only thiefs use Khri unles I'm missing something?
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/22/2014 07:58 PM CST
I think now you understand why it's silly to ask why one system works uses one set of rules while other system uses another set of rules. You don't hear war mages complaining that they can't restore mana by killing mobs similar to how Barbarians can restore Inner Fire in combat. Similarly, Barbarians don't lament that Paladins don't lose mana when anti-stun triggers.

Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/22/2014 08:04 PM CST
Lol was waiting for you to come full circle I knew what your point is "cant compare its different blah blah.."

My question remains (other than Elimeinate/Vanish) why have CD when Concentration is a limited supply and you cant endlessly spamm infinate number of Khri without tanking your concentration pool.

Even folks like Loggrim who has enough Disc to have a BIG concentration pool can only run so many khri before it tanks.
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/22/2014 10:23 PM CST
>>why have CD when Concentration is a limited supply and you cant endlessly spamm infinate number of Khri without tanking your concentration pool.

Because no one mindlessly spams khri commands over and over. The point is that they want a cooldown between keeping khri up.

Why? Because they do.

Why not for other things? Because those are other things.

Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/22/2014 10:42 PM CST
I think, barring the time-sensitive khri(Eliminate, Vanish, etc) the general cooldown timer should be removed.

Why? You pay the cost for the khri when you start it. There is no way to 'game' the system by immediately restarting a khri after it falls.

You pay for the cost of the khri when you start it. There's no reason for a cooldown.

It has already been deducted from your account. Transaction complete, thank you for shopping at K-mart, come again.

Seriously, it's just an outdated annoyance.

So I don't understand why it's still there. It should have been removed with Thief 3.1 IMO.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/22/2014 11:39 PM CST
>Why? Because they do.

This is a crap reasoning process. Why did I set that guy on fire? Because I did! Why did he deserve it? Because I did it! It's circular to say the least.

At some point, the re-use timer (it's not really a cool down timer, it's specifically a timer to inhibit re-use) was put in to balance khri which were designed and built in an entirely different game; not even DR 2.0, pre-DR-2.0. Khri have been redone a little since then, but the core mechanics are just showing their age. The re-use timer originally balanced a system where thieves didn't have a real resource issue; concentration was plentiful and not used by anything.

Not so much any more. It's used by everything thieves do.

And khri now use/depend on skill instead of stats and circle. No one else gets a hard-lock re-use timer on mundane, day to day, abilities. Mages don't have some restriction on spell use (oh wait, hey mana, you look a lot like concentration in this new paradigm, so let's get that out of the way). Barbs don't either.

Assuming a class has the resource/confound to cast/start/whatever the ability, they can do so. Thieves? Not so much.

If the timer is a hard coded aspect of khri, which can't be changed without basically rewriting the entire system from the ground up, then that should be mentioned and the (not insane) players will drop it for the 3.1 release.
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/23/2014 12:30 AM CST
>>This is a crap reasoning process. Why did I set that guy on fire? Because I did! Why did he deserve it? Because I did it! It's circular to say the least.

Khri have cooldown for the same reason that Barbarian Inner fire is at 50% by default, naturally drifts toward that state, and requires you to kill mobs that teach the weapon skill you're using in order to increase how much you have in your pool: because it's something that the GMs want to make those systems more unique in relation to magic, despite running on the same skill systems.

You're free to dislike it, but it's not "crap reasoning" just because you don't personally like the reason.

If you want some IC reason, assume that Thief brains sometimes need to take a little nap after concentrating that hard.

>>No one else gets a hard-lock re-use timer on mundane, day to day, abilities.

There is nothing mundane about khri.

Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/23/2014 01:44 AM CST
We take a hit when starting khri and the same hit when we stop them, plus continual drain while running them and dont forget every ambush costs concentration also. We have enough damn limitations on how many we can use and how to manage our concentration pool, quit slitting our throats with another timer. If we want to use only a few khri for full duration and then use them again straight away we should be allowed if we can manage it.

If advice was any good, they wouldn't give it out for free.
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/23/2014 11:31 AM CST
Other abilities have timers, they're just not as obvious.

Magic's timer is in the form of prep... wait... cast. Barbarian form timers make you have to wait for a form to get to full power.

Khri timers are just on the back end instead of the front end.

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/23/2014 12:31 PM CST
>>Other abilities have timers, they're just not as obvious. Magic's timer is in the form of prep... wait... cast. Barbarian form timers make you have to wait for a form to get to full power. Khri timers are just on the back end instead of the front end.

That is false. Khri have timers associated on both front and back ends. Khri start x gives RT dependent on how many you are attempting to start at once. Khri delay (most efficient/easiest) X for me takes about 17 seconds activate, and you can only activate one at the time (which is fine, I have no complaints there).

I think a 2 minute, 35 second cooldown is overkill. Excluding vanish/elim, I'd rather not have a CD to re-use these core abilities. At the very least, the 2:35 timer should be reduced drastically.
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/23/2014 12:56 PM CST
>At the very least, the 2:35 timer should be reduced drastically.

I think it's reduced with skill. In test I was measuring a longer cooldown for darkness than reported.
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/23/2014 02:37 PM CST
The cooldown needs to be removed. 3.1 is going to push us up hunting levels, we are going to need our buffs up at all times. What are we supposed to do for that 2.5 minutes while our buffs our down?
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/23/2014 02:48 PM CST
>What are we supposed to do for that 2.5 minutes while our buffs our down?

Use the debilitation khri to reduce your enemies ability to attack you. Prowess and Guile have very short durations, (but longer than cooldowns) so they should be ready when your defensive ones drop. Buffing yourself and debilitating enemies should both increase combat survivability.
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/23/2014 03:11 PM CST
>>3.1 is going to push us up hunting levels, we are going to need our buffs up at all times.

Combat in general is created in a way that assumes no one uses any particular buffs, similar to how it's constructed assuming not everyone is using T5+ gear. If you have to use buffs in order to train, my understanding is that it isn't intentional.

>>What are we supposed to do for that 2.5 minutes while our buffs our down?

You could always arrange it so not every buff falls at the same time.

Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/23/2014 04:22 PM CST
>>Ok... what other guild ability works like this? Other guilds?

Traders' speculate finesse, paranoia and defense. To a lesser degree, speculate coin. Oh, and the first three use concentration too.

Abison/Rystien
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/23/2014 05:01 PM CST
>>>What are we supposed to do for that 2.5 minutes while our buffs our down?

Roleplay.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/23/2014 08:40 PM CST
>What are we supposed to do for that 2.5 minutes while our buffs our down?

See what its like being a necromancer?
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/23/2014 09:07 PM CST
>See what its like being a necromancer?

So you want us to cast QE, use an AoE TM attack, create and summon a zombie, heal ourselves with magic...I could keep going on, what was your point?
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/23/2014 09:11 PM CST
>>>What are we supposed to do for that 2.5 minutes while our buffs our down?

Roleplay.>>

put on a dress and touch yourself.... just to expand on the idea.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Khri Cooldowns (timed) 01/23/2014 09:59 PM CST
<So you want us to cast QE, use an AoE TM attack, create and summon a zombie, heal ourselves with magic...I could keep going on, what was your point?

Lol calm down, I was just being a smartass because I and most other necromancers don't hunt with combat buffs up. Basically if I cast combat buffs all the time I die from god smite. If it makes you feel any better I don't think there should be any CD time myself, other than the aforementioned abilities.
Prev_page Previous 1