Prev_page Previous 1
12/31/13 12:57pm CST Ambushes not working. 12/31/2013 12:58 PM CST
It's probably just someone working on something, but thought i'd mention it anyway.
Everything was working as of last nights "testing session", but this afternoon:

You push the release catch on your silver vial, releasing some dirt into your hand.
>
Spinning your arm around your body in practiced circles, you throw clouds of dirt up into the air!
>
You close to melee range on a musk hog.
You stop a musk hog from advancing any farther.
>
Your feet are finally dry.
> hide
You melt into the background, convinced that your attempt to hide went unobserved.
Roundtime: 2 sec.

HR> amb st
The musk hog is completely surprised by your stealthy maneuver!

> hide
You melt into the background, convinced that your attempt to hide went unobserved.

HR> amb sl

> hide

HR>
A musk hog sniffs at the air, its nose twitching nervously.
HR> amb cl
Quietly, you raise your left hand up to your side, and in a single, fluid movement chop straight at the musk hog's neck!

> hide
Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/01/2014 05:50 AM CST

Alright, everything is working again, but the accuracy of ambushes is way down from where it was (which was already way too low), at level, or even dropping down a critter or two on the ladder nothing connects at all (as in complete failure).

So I literally cannot use them against anything I would actually train on.

Screen does not seem to be affected by whatever is currently causing this, and I didn't test ignite.

As a side note: Losing balance on a missed ambush seems like a bit over kill, its already 3-6 seconds RT for failure, being thrown down two balance states seems like too much.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/02/2014 05:37 AM CST

>>Alright, everything is working again, but the accuracy of ambushes is way down from where it was (which was already way too low), at level, or even dropping down a critter or two on the ladder nothing connects at all (as in complete failure).

So I literally cannot use them against anything I would actually train on.

Screen does not seem to be affected by whatever is currently causing this, and I didn't test ignite.

As a side note: Losing balance on a missed ambush seems like a bit over kill, its already 3-6 seconds RT for failure, being thrown down two balance states seems like too much.

This

Rifkinn
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/02/2014 12:49 PM CST
Stun seems to be by far the least accurate.

Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a shadowy black nightmaster's shield displaying a dull midnight black durgauldite and a fuligin nightmaster's blade accented by a blackened moonsilver grip, you are certain that the Xala'shar thrall is a relatively easy opponent.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a fuligin nightmaster's blade accented by a blackened moonsilver grip, you are certain that the Xala'shar thrall is a creature completely beneath your notice.
If you attacked with a fuligin nightmaster's blade accented by a blackened moonsilver grip, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you threw the blade at the enemy you are certain that it would train somewhat poorly.
If you defended by parrying attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you defended by evading attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train very poorly.
If you defended by blocking attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you attempted to beguile the enemy with tactics, you are certain that it would train somewhat poorly.

You feel highly confident in the accuracy of your judgement.
As you consider hiding around the Xala'shar thrall, you believe it couldn't spot the broad side of a barn (2/13).
As you consider an attempt to stalk the Xala'shar thrall, you could likely tail it forever (2/13).
As you consider a stealthy assault on the Xala'shar thrall, you believe it should not notice your attack (5/13).

This critter is what I would call 4 steps down on the critter ladder from me hunting at level, per soch they start at around 700 ranks. At level what I hunt starts around 1300 ranks.

Out of 20 ambush stuns: 1 connected, all others where complete misses.

The Xala'shar thrall is completely surprised by your stealthy maneuver!
The Xala'shar thrall manages to evade your heavy blow, leaping nimbly out of the way!
Roundtime: 3 sec.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/02/2014 01:00 PM CST

If I move up to cabalists (which I would still consider -1 to my at level hunting), I can't land any ambushes at all against a healthy critter. Even while buffing myself and de-buffing them.

Except for screen that is.

Oh and all of this is with Debilitation switched up to being my first super.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/02/2014 01:00 PM CST
> Stun seems to be by far the least accurate.

Even if stun is fixed, it is still power vs fortitude. This will make ambush stun not worth using because the duration is always going to be short for thief. I think stun should be finesse vs fortitude.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/02/2014 01:53 PM CST
I have the same issues with ambushing in Test.

On a side note, where are the Thralls?
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/02/2014 01:55 PM CST

Soch placed temp portal to them and magi outside the crossings NE gate.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/04/2014 07:26 PM CST
Slash needs some serious love because whatever you hit with it stands up before the rt of doing the move is over EVERY time. Bring back the stun with slash as its useless as is just now. Even using screen before it to try and get random rts from it, only once out of like 20 tries did i manage to keep kneeling longer than the rt of putting them down.

All other ambushes accuracy makes me cry.

If advice was any good, they wouldn't give it out for free.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/04/2014 07:40 PM CST
> All other ambushes accuracy makes me cry.

I have a sneaking suspicion this may be in part because of how weak stealth calculations are, i have watched a multitude of times as Ricinus tried to adjust the accuracy of ambushes but they fell short no matter what, maybe the effective stealth checks are what completely ruin ambushes.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/04/2014 10:02 PM CST

>Slash needs some serious love

The purpose of slash is to prevent the target from retreating, not to cause a stun, the knee is just meant to be a short bonus for a major success.

Not saying I agree with any of that, just saying thats what it is.

Two problems with that: Kodius is already working on fixing engagement so that everyone cant just retre;retre so slash will be useless for even its intended purpose eventually... and the de-buff is only like 5 seconds long, so already not super good.

>I have a sneaking suspicion this may be in part because of how weak stealth calculations are

I dunno cuz I am getting complete surprise on everything and I thought it was said that the stealth check is just a +to-hit bonus if you pass.

The actual accuracy is Backstab+Weapon+Deb (in some kind of weighted formula) VS Defenses, and then the SvS determines the level of the success.

That's why you see things like people not being surprised but still getting hit.

So I'm betting it has something to with the Deb part of the formula since thats the only thing thats new.

But yeah, stun, slash, choke, ignite (and prowess and guile) remain extremely underwhelming. Screen at least works but the RT is way too high.

Meh sorry this sounds so negative, I think I'm kinda burning out on test.

All its doing is making me feel bad about my choice of guild for the past 10,000 hours.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/04/2014 10:08 PM CST
>>Two problems with that: Kodius is already working on fixing engagement so that everyone cant just retre;retre so slash will be useless for even its intended purpose eventually... and the de-buff is only like 5 seconds long, so already not super good.

My changes are hardly coming out anytime soon, and any affected abilities would naturally be modified to compensate.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/04/2014 10:09 PM CST
Are you upset with the abilities vs critters or vs players?

What are your stats compared to those of the enemy when you APP CAREFUL them?

What is your skill in debilitation?

Barbarians use the same formulas so I'd be surprised if you are having this much trouble affecting things.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/04/2014 10:21 PM CST

>Are you upset with the abilities vs critters or vs players?

Both? The effects are negligible and/or extremely short, also with a lot of SvS contests there's a huge tilt in favor of the caster, doesn't seem like we get any tilt at all. I know its all still up in the air for ambushes.

But I dunno SvS is just kinda bothering me a lot lately (before 3.1 testing even started). Now that we actually care about it... I can't really say I like it more.

>What are your stats compared to those of the enemy when you APP CAREFUL them?

Certain... about as X as you are. I've done multiple respecs, doesn't seem to matter if I have 80 in a stat with no buffs or 120 in a stat (including buffs) its always about as X as you are.

What is your skill in debilitation?

I dunno 800 something.

>Barbarians use the same formulas so I'd be surprised if you are having this much trouble affecting things.

Yeah sorry I thought of that just after I posted, so yeah its probably not that. But we are most certainly definitely absolutely having that much trouble affecting things.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/04/2014 10:59 PM CST
> Both? The effects are negligible and/or extremely short, also with a lot of SvS contests there's a huge tilt in favor of the caster, doesn't seem like we get any tilt at all. I know its all still up in the air for ambushes.

That is because most thief ambushes have a multitude of tests before we even get to the SvS portion, one being a stealth check that is impossible to pass at level, ambush stun is also power vs fortitude last i checked, severely limiting the potency.
Offset with the random RTs of ambushes going as high as 6 sometimes, that will eat up any minor stun we can manage, the end result just makes ambush stun trigger the diminishing returns to little effect, reducing future stuns on your opponent.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/04/2014 11:06 PM CST
>>Certain... about as X as you are. I've done multiple respecs, doesn't seem to matter if I have 80 in a stat with no buffs or 120 in a stat (including buffs) its always about as X as you are.

That sounds incredibly odd. Any chance you could grab me to take a look tomorrow? Wonder if it is an appraise bug.

Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 01:18 AM CST
Weekends are bad for me, but I'll see if I can spend some time in test next week again.

Maybe its just my imagination, or moths and stuff around that level are just really buff.

All I really know is I've tried several different skills at 80,90,100 buffed and unbuffed and I just don't feel any difference at all to anything at all.

Just to make sure everyone is on the same page; I think SvS is wonky as heck at high levels, but that shouldn't be related to the issue of accuracy, just potency. Right?

I'll lay out a bit of a timeline if that helps track things down a bit:

12/06, ambush's potency is super acting random but accuracy is ok, out of 10 no complete misses but seemingly random between hit but no effcect, good and major level successes.

12/22, ambush's accuracy and potency is super random, out of 10, something like 2 complete misses, 4 hits with no effect, 2 good successes, 2 major successes.

12/31, ambushes are completely broken for a night, not sure what happened

01/01, ambushes are working again but the accuracy is way way down, out of 10, zero land, out of 20, 1 lands for a good success.

Now, aside from all of that, lets say I was getting major successes every time.

Ignite- Not really useful until better napatha is released.
Slash- The de-buff is like 6 seconds long, making it near worthless, and the kneel is useless.
Clout- Probably too good, IF you can get it to land.
Screen- Good, but there's no more single target option making the 7 to 9 RT really painful in a lot of situations.
Choke- No idea if it does anything at all.
Stun- Even with a major success which does sleep (awesome) its super short. The stun with the good success is even shorter, and yeah Raik is probably right making it strength/stamina/disc is painful.

Some other fun debilitation stuff:

Prowess and Guile are having a problem with exactly what 3.1 is supposed to fix, buffs that you can't feel because you already don't need them. Basically all they do is give more to-hit. Well with SE weapons and typical thief stats that's really the last thing we're ever gonna need.

Eliminate is supposed to be working for more than just backstab, and better against barriers, well its not as far as I can tell.

I could go on and on, but I won't its just test, and I know a lot is probably being worked on even as I complain too much about it.

In a bit of an effort to explain myself I just feel like thieves have taken quite a lot of kicks over the last several years, without actually getting anything in return. Yes I understand that this is not really thief 3.1 its actually thief 3.0a. It's not the intent to add anything just to get our stuff inline with 3.0 framework to add stuff in "eventually".

But,

With 3.0 we lost the ability to rely on evasion and gained reliance on training tertiary shield, we lost about 75% of our damage in our most common weapons LT/Brawling/SE.

With 3.1 we are losing a lot of OF from completely losing 2 offensive buffs, we are losing a huge defensive buff (actually more like 2), we are losing 1 and a half of our debilitating moves... and every single thing we do continues to have a stealth check that can be beat by someone with 2/3rds as much perception.

Lately I feel like the guild should be renamed to the "Hi, Only thing I can do is Backstab and only if you are no threat to me at all" guild.

Yes, we are gaining some things too, a physical only damage barrier that basically halves 4 hits in the first 60 seconds and then 1 every 60 more, Choke which I think is supposed to be a stamina de-buff and I dunno there's probably one other thing.

Alright I should stop this post before everyone hates me too much.

I know a lot of stuff is being planned for... just about everything.

So, I'm sure it'll all work out.

Hopefully some of that is useful feedback to someone.

Told ya I was getting burned out. :)
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 02:14 AM CST
I'm doing this on a critter which as of 3.1 will no longer teach me about anything but here goes:

You feel like your powerful presence has gotten the better of a Misenseor resuscitant.

You are certain that it is apparently as strong as you are.
You are certain that it is rather less agile than you are.
You are certain that it is not quite as disciplined as you are.
You are certain that it is rather less quick to react than you are.
You are certain that it is not quite as conditioned as you are.

With debilitation grandfathered to 390 at 155.

I can't even land a 1 second stun anymore and all i'm getting is:

>ambush stun
The Misenseor resuscitant is completely surprised by your stealthy maneuver!
The Misenseor resuscitant manages to evade your heavy blow, leaping nimbly out of the way!

>ambush stun
The Misenseor resuscitant is completely surprised by your stealthy maneuver!
You carefully position yourself behind a Misenseor resuscitant and prepare your attack. When the moment is perfect, you step forward and reveal yourself as you deftly land a solid blow to the back of its skullYou feel the attack make contact, but you don't think the strike was solid enough to cause any lasting effects.
[You're solidly balanced and in good position.]
Roundtime: 1 sec.

If this is any indication of how SvS works in PVP then players with all stats equaled to 100 will never land a stun?
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 10:38 AM CST
It probably needs to be mentioned that unlike other SvS contests, thieves don't have the ability to 'power up' by using more mana.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 10:40 AM CST
>It probably needs to be mentioned that unlike other SvS contests, thieves don't have the ability to 'power up' by using more mana.

But aren't they already at max potency, so it's like if a mage was casting at their cap?
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 10:48 AM CST
>But aren't they already at max potency, so it's like if a mage was casting at their cap?

Who knows? I haven't seen a non-Kodius GM post in here in over a week. That would be my assumption, but it's test. Could have been broken, could be implemented wrong, or could have had a GM decide that thieves needed to be at X potency for whatever reason rather than Y.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 01:09 PM CST
I'm having trouble with ambushes at 51st as well.

Strength : 36 Reflex : 27
Agility : 25 Charisma : 20
Discipline : 35 Wisdom : 25
Intelligence : 25 Stamina : 35

Inner Magic: 141 00% clear (0/34) Augmentation: 71 00% clear (0/34)
Debilitation: 115 21% clear (0/34) Utility: 71 00% clear (0/34)
Stealth: 226 85.97% clear (0/34) Backstab: 194 88.40% clear (0/34)

You are certain that the black leucro is healthy.
You are certain that it is somewhat weaker than you are.
You are certain that it is about as agile as you are.
You are certain that it is definitely less disciplined than you are.
You are certain that it is about as quick to react as you are.
You are certain that it is definitely less conditioned than you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a small shield and a sabre, you are certain that the black leucro is a slightly less skilled opponent.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a sabre, you are certain that the black leucro is a very easy opponent.
If you attacked with a sabre, you are certain that the enemy would train acceptably.
If you threw the sabre at the enemy you are certain that it would train exceptionally well, but you probably won't be landing many blows.
If you defended by parrying attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train quite badly.
If you defended by evading attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train quite badly.
If you defended by blocking attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train quite badly.
If you attempted to beguile the enemy with tactics, you are certain that it would train acceptably.

[Roundtime: 10 seconds]

Black leucros teach me pretty badly. Without any khri this happens all the time though:

HR>
The black leucro searches around for a moment.
A giant black leucro has spotted you!
The black leucro discovers you, ruining your hiding place!

With ambush stun one leucro I missed the first time then I could hit it. A second leucro I missed 5 times in a row and it killed my balance. Even when I succeeded it said I failed to surprise it. If I go to rock guardians which teach me better I can barely hide at all at melee without khri and they app like this:

You are certain that the rock guardian is healthy.
You are certain that the rock guardian is slightly fatigued.
You are certain that it is about as strong as you are.
You are certain that it is rather less disciplined than you are.
You are certain that it is rather less conditioned than you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a small shield and a sabre, you are certain that the rock guardian is a difficult opponent.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a sabre, you are certain that the rock guardian is a simple opponent.
If you attacked with a sabre, you are certain that the enemy would train rather well.
If you threw the sabre at the enemy you are certain that it would train exceptionally well, but you probably won't be landing many blows.
If you defended by parrying attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train quite badly.
If you defended by evading attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train quite badly.
If you defended by blocking attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train quite badly.
If you attempted to beguile the enemy with tactics, you are certain that it would train rather well.

[Roundtime: 10 seconds]

When I am able to hide I can't ambush stun them at all it seems. Using ambush screen I still can't hide on them and it doesn't seem to affect them either.:

Spinning your arm around your body in practiced circles, you throw clouds of dirt up into the air!
The rock guardian is enveloped in swirling brown dirt!
Dirt flies toward the rock guardian's eyes, but doesn't seem to cause any harm.
You take advantage of the general confusion and try to slip into a hiding place.
The rock guardian catches you as you try to vanish!
The rock guardian discovers you, ruining your hiding place!
Roundtime: 6 sec.

Even if I do hide using screen they search me out right away:

The rock guardian manages to back out of the way of the expanding cloud of dirt!
You take advantage of the general confusion and try to slip into a hiding place.
You are fairly confident that your attempt to vanish was not noticed.
Roundtime: 8 sec.

HR>
A rock guardian gingerly picks through the area looking for something.
A rock guardian has spotted you!
The rock guardian discovers you, ruining your hiding place!
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 01:45 PM CST
I went and grabbed more khri and with darken, dampen and shadowstep up guardians can still search me out of hiding sometimes and I still can't surprise them or land stun.

I also really don't like how my khri are now. I have to kneel or sit to just turn many of them on which is incredibly annoying when I wanna put them back up during combat since I have to run away for a bit and then come back if I don't wanna die. The cooldowns also seem pretty long at my level, it'd be great if I could be told how much time I have left on the cooldowns. When I put up 4 khri at once which I can do easily on live, my concentration dropped after about two minutes and I lost them all.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 02:05 PM CST
Sslad, you have pretty crap ranks in magic. Khri are powered by magic. No, there's nothing you can do about this, it's the grandfathering. Ergo till you get at-level ranks in magic (certainly more than 100 at 50th) your magic is going to suck.

It would be nice if we could get a mechanic in test to bump magic ranks up in 5-10 rank intervals to test that. It's pretty pointless to test at the lowest possible efficacy, since everyone is going to log in, complain how khri suck and don't work, fail everything they try, and quit.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 02:06 PM CST
> I have to kneel or sit to just turn many of them on which is incredibly annoying when I wanna put them back up during combat since I have to run away for a bit and then come back if I don't wanna die.

This problem will go away with more Skill.

>The cooldowns also seem pretty long at my level, it'd be great if I could be told how much time I have left on the cooldowns.

This would certainly be nice.

>When I put up 4 khri at once which I can do easily on live, my concentration dropped after about two minutes and I lost them all.

Thieves are a little different with resource management. Most other guilds are skill based (Read Attunement of MUs) while we are purely stat based. This has pros and cons, in Live you can only run a certain amount of khri based on your concentration pool, while in test you can run many more but only for short periods. Since Ambushes also use concentration, resource management for thieves has gotten a lot more important. I dont see any of this as a bad thing, personally, its just going to take some time to learn the new system.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 02:47 PM CST
>>Since Ambushes also use concentration

That is going to be a problem....How can a thief even a high lvl one run all the Khri necessary (including stop x, start y, switch to something esle etc>) and have contentration to Ambuish successfully?
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 03:19 PM CST
>The cooldowns also seem pretty long at my level, it'd be great if I could be told how much time I have left on the cooldowns.

Cooldowns just need to go away, if I have the concentration to put it back up I should be able to put it back up. Mages used to have spells do this, but it was a bad idea then and they got rid of it. Now that khri are analogous to spells there shouldn't be a reason to do it now.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 03:25 PM CST
>That is going to be a problem....How can a thief even a high lvl one run all the Khri necessary (including stop x, start y, switch to something esle etc>) and have contentration to Ambuish successfully?

With a 90th level thief I didnt have any problems with it. For day to day hunting I dont absolutely need a lot of khri running, so I always had spare concentration.

Elusive
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 03:26 PM CST
I'm agreed. Concentration being the limiter for khri is fine, but timers need to be shot in the back of the head and have said heads put on pikes in front of the dev-keep. And ambushes consuming concentration is not really a great thing; it works for mana because spells are cast then consume no more resources. With Khri, you can push your concentration down far enough that your buffs fail.

You can literally ambush your buffs off. Ha, I'm punny.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 03:54 PM CST
As an aside, it might make sense for Kodius to allow Thieves (and barbarians?) to get the appraisal line on debilitations at this point, especially for training assessment purposes.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 04:04 PM CST
>>With Khri, you can push your concentration down far enough that your buffs fail.

That if your hunting at lvl = Dead.

And if Backstab skill is as hard to lock post 3.1 as it is currently in 3.0 its going to make it ultra difficult to train that skill. As it is that skill is a PAIN in a thiefs behind add this to the mix :sigh:..
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 04:26 PM CST
>>That if your hunting at lvl = Dead.

I hunt at level all the time without buffs and never die. Maybe something else is going on where if you need buffs you're dying all the time? It's possible that you're hunting over your head with buffs, which is fine, but that wouldn't be at level.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 04:32 PM CST
<<I hunt at level all the time without buffs and never die.>>

I would be very, very surprised to see this continue to be the case in 3.1, but if it is, rock on.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 04:40 PM CST
>I would be very, very surprised to see this continue to be the case in 3.1, but if it is, rock on

If it's not, woe to the traders.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 04:54 PM CST

>That sounds incredibly odd. Any chance you could grab me to take a look tomorrow? Wonder if it is an appraise bug.

Managed to find some time, didn't see anyone around but...

80 in everything with no buffs vs cabalists:

You are certain that it is about as disciplined as you are.
You are certain that it is about as conditioned as you are.

80 in everything with buffs (agility/reflex/disc) vs cabalists:

100 in everything (not charisma) with no buffs vs cabalists:

100 in everything (not charisma) with buffs (agility/reflex/disc)

But again I don't think that is related to the problem of not being able to hit with an ambush since the SvS is just potency.

I still can't land a single ambush (except screen which continues to seem fine) against anything I would consider at level (cabalists and up).

I have to drop down to something around half my ranks to start consistently landing ambushes.

The cost for stopping an khri and the cooldowns have to go away.

Also, I honestly feel the costs for running multiple khri need to be reduced or exp gains need to be increased. If I want to actually gain exp for my supernaturals in combat, I have to run so many khri (yes I am using the hardest ones first) that I drain out way too fast (like 7-8 minutes or so) and then need to leave combat and sit down. Not fun.

>With a 90th level thief I didnt have any problems with it. For day to day hunting I dont absolutely need a lot of khri running, so I always had spare concentration.

90 is barely even mid-level and if you do that you wont be learning anything in your supernaturals and eventually setting up your character for required backtraining. Either that or things are horribly broken at the real high levels. Because I need to run almost every single khri from a single group (Aug/Utility) to get more exp than a single drain pulse takes.

Khri Meditate fixes that but its basically unusable in any real combat since its only a real benefit if you are kneeling and at 85% or more concentration.

>And if Backstab skill is as hard to lock post 3.1 as it is currently in 3.0 its going to make it ultra difficult to train that skill. As it is that skill is a PAIN in a thiefs behind add this to the mix :sigh:.

I haven't had any trouble at all with backstab since the exp fix early last year, and now that ambushes give backstab exp it's actually pretty easy to train when ambushes are actually working, which they were (albeit with low potency) from 12/06 to 12/30.

Here my timeline again in-case anyone missed it:

All of this is only VS at level hunting. So, Cabalists and Moths.

12/06, ambush's potency is acting super random but accuracy is ok, out of 10: no complete misses but seemingly random between "hit with no effcect", "good" and "major" level successes.

12/22, ambush's accuracy and potency is super random, out of 10, 2 complete misses, 4 "hits with no effect", 2 "good" successes, 2 "major" successes.

12/31, ambushes are completely broken for a night, not sure what happened

01/01 to Present, ambushes are working again but the accuracy is way way down, out of 10, zero land, out of 20, 1 lands for a "good" success. Screen is not affected by this bug and is working correctly.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 05:07 PM CST
>90 is barely even mid-level and if you do that you wont be learning anything in your supernaturals and eventually setting up your character for required backtraining.

Where 90th lvl sits in the character scale wasnt the point, and yes the exp gaining wasnt huge. However even running at half capacity I was able to keep both Util and Aug skills at +2/34 nearly indefinitely in or out of combat means I wont have to sit around back-training. It is easier to train out of combat, since you can use the prone Concentration Regen boost to full effect. Of course debil is an odd man out here, but again I had enough concentration to ambush two or three times per critter and not run my Concentration pool into the ground.

Now I am not saying Khri pulse costs dont need work, I am saying that I was able to manage them well enough to not cause me any problems in day to day hunting.

Elusive
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 05:12 PM CST
>>I would be very, very surprised to see this continue to be the case in 3.1, but if it is, rock on.

As far as I understand it, the combat will still constructed with the assumption that you're using store bought gear and no buffs. Anything you can do buff wise is gravy.

Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 05:20 PM CST

>Where 90th lvl sits in the character scale wasn't the point,

It was my point.

>running at half capacity I was able to keep both Util and Aug skills at +2/34 nearly indefinitely in or out of combat...

I'm saying that exactly what you describe there isn't working at higher circles.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 05:25 PM CST
>I'm saying that exactly what you describe there isn't working at higher circles.

I was not arguing with you. This is Test, I am simply providing a data point for my circle/skill level.

Elusive
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/05/2014 05:26 PM CST

That makes two of us.
Prev_page Previous 1