Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/07/2014 02:23 AM CST
<<Sslad, you have pretty crap ranks in magic. Khri are powered by magic. No, there's nothing you can do about this, it's the grandfathering. Ergo till you get at-level ranks in magic (certainly more than 100 at 50th) your magic is going to suck.

That right there is proof of statement on issues with grandfathering. There's just no excuse for someone who didn't have magic reqs or ability to train it in 3.0 to log into 3.1 and basically find that all their abilities run off a system they couldn't prepare for and are now basically unusable.

Blech.

--

In memory of Lisa/Martee. Passed 6/17/2013. A friend. A sister.
Re: Ambushes working again, except not. And Defending. 01/07/2014 04:48 AM CST

I'm not sure if this is related to the problem with ambushes, but I think defending is acting way too powerful.

Usually I have no trouble analyzing cabalists or moths for a combo but now I fail to find holes 50% of the time. Also I'm suddenly failing to weave and shove even critters way below my ranks.

I could be wrong, but I do really think I was also noticing this in PvP against armor primes with defending buffs vs standard attacks.

>Defending indicates your overall ability to defend against attacks, and is in the armor skillset. It replaces Multiple Opponent's functionality as the skill used when being engaged with multiple foes, and also increases your defensive skills so that they're more effective overall.

That last bit is what I'm referring to as far as PvP.

I'm happy to admit I'm probably the wrong person for PvP feedback, but... I still think something is going on with Defending.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/07/2014 11:17 AM CST
Another data point for khri learning rates.

328 Utility using sensing and shadowstep for their full 23 minute duration, and not using khri meditation more than a couple times at the beginning to get it moving, end with Utility being 11/34. Not horrible, but not really great in my opinion. It does look like high end is going to need some adjustment.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/09/2014 08:38 PM CST
>>There's just no excuse for someone who didn't have magic reqs or ability to train it in 3.0 to log into 3.1 and basically find that all their abilities run off a system they couldn't prepare for and are now basically unusable.

I think the thinking behind this was same as behind what was done with Barbarians. However they are "fixing" a lot of the NOTmagic magic issues for Barbarians in 3.1 I suspect Thiefs will have to endure same pain to get there eventually.

I never understood the reasoning to "cripple" ranks in a skills that are for all intents and purposes "essential" to do what you do as a guild.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/10/2014 07:09 AM CST
Because there is no way to say 'you would have trained 4x the min ranks, but you would have trained 10x, and you would have trained just to circle'.

So they stick with the min ranks, plus some percentage, and flat out say it's not going to be what it would have been if you trained from zero, but there's no other reasonable metric to gauge against.

And while I hate the numbers and think they should be higher (for example: I had a 25th barb get grandfathered and then trained up the same char to 25 post 3.0, and had more than double the grandfathered ranks), it IS the only metric they can judge by. So it's crappy but fair and logical.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/10/2014 04:28 PM CST
>>No. Just completely off base. Thief abilities are supposed to function just as well, and be as powerful as, magic. There is no 'oh, you're 'supernatural' so you take a 20% cut' penalty, in execution or design.

Well unles the "potency" scalles of ranks different from other skills I dont see how having 800+ ranks of primary skills at level is going to work for Khris that scale off skills with ranks at under 400 ranks.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/10/2014 05:18 PM CST
The potency of the ranks probably does scale differently than other skills. This is precisely how barbarian grandfathering panned out--potency caps relatively early while additional ranks add to duration. This is not consistent with say, magic. It does make sense though.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. 01/10/2014 05:30 PM CST
>>The potency of the ranks probably does scale differently than other skills. This is precisely how barbarian grandfathering panned out--potency caps relatively early while additional ranks add to duration. This is not consistent with say, magic. It does make sense though.

Yeah it does make sense. I belive potency caps at 500 ranks. Duration past that is the only benefit that and well TDP.
Re: Ambushes working again, sort of. ::NUDGE:: 01/10/2014 08:32 PM CST

Thieves Guild feedback on testing is the ONLY thing that belongs in this folder.

As has already been mentioned we are now at ZERO Tolerance on the 3.1 folders.

This can and will result in the loss of posting ability for at least 30 days if this continues.

Kindly knock it off.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: 12/31/13 12:57pm CST Ambushes not working. Now back on track 01/11/2014 05:19 PM CST

I'm not sure if its Kodius working (literally as I type this) on the backstab code, or someone else working on ambushes, but now things seem back to where they were before they stopped working entirely.

I still think a lot of the ambushes need to do more and for longer, and I'm still not jazzed about all the SvS stuff (mostly just because of what high level characters are like, think about that for a while) and it sure would be nice if there was a damaging AOE attack...

But I think we are finally back on track at least, so keep up the good work.
Re: 12/31/13 12:57pm CST Ambushes not working. Now back on track 01/11/2014 05:52 PM CST
>and it sure would be nice if there was a damaging AOE attack...

Aside from, say, whirlwhind, or some sort of LT tornado, how would you design a thief AoE damage ability? Khri is intrinsically self-oriented, so we can't do a fire rain, or anything like that.
Re: 12/31/13 12:57pm CST Ambushes not working. Now back on track 01/11/2014 06:12 PM CST

Exactly what you just said.

>whirlwhind, or some sort of LT tornado

Or... something else along those lines. A physical AOE attack Ambush.

Did it really seem like I just asked for thieves to be able to cast fire rain?

I lol'd.

:)
Re: 12/31/13 12:57pm CST Ambushes not working. Now back on track 01/11/2014 07:36 PM CST
>Did it really seem like I just asked for thieves to be able to cast fire rain?

No, I was just using it as an example, since FoU is less well known.

I'm not against physical based AoE, but we're not getting whirlwind, and I don't want one tied to a specific weapon (LT), etc. and honestly am not that interested in using one that requires a physical item, since these attacks consume concentration, and magic consumes mana, and magic doesn't require physical items.

So I'm not sure what's really reasonable. We don't have roars, we don't have sonic attacks, we've already got a few room-based moves.

Honestly, I hate to say this, but from from a design standpoint, thieves might be better off being focused purely on bringing a single target down fast, and locking down multiples, rather than just bulldoze damaging them.
Re: 12/31/13 12:57pm CST Ambushes not working. Now back on track 01/11/2014 07:46 PM CST
<<how would you design a thief AoE damage ability?>>

*Substance update could have poisonous/toxic dust useable with screen.

*Ambush caltrop - Similar to slash but area effect: reduced damage, but increased slowness and maybe random roundtimes.

*Contact riot - Use of a crowd to jump everyone in your area.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: 12/31/13 12:57pm CST Ambushes not working. Now back on track 01/11/2014 07:56 PM CST

>Honestly, I hate to say this, but from from a design standpoint, thieves might be better off being focused purely on bringing a single target down fast, and locking down multiples, rather than just bulldoze damaging them.

I know and I almost agree, I just hate how useless I feel standing next to everyone else in the room casting/spamming aoe stuff like crazy.

For quests and invasions in 3.0, its really like the thief might as well just take a nap or leave.

That can't be the DR we should want to play, so something has to change.
Re: 12/31/13 12:57pm CST Ambushes not working. Now back on track 01/12/2014 03:35 AM CST
<< it sure would be nice if there was a damaging AOE attack...

This is exactly what i was asking during the first magic preview. To save you some time arguing, AOE was just not in the cards for the coming iteration then and probably not now either.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Thieves/General%20Discussions%20-%20Thieves/view/2117

Me: "I'm glad to see that we finally have some AOE debuffs in the mix but still no AOE damage."
DR-RICINUS: Yeah, probably no AOE damage abilities in the mix for right now. These sorts of abilities would be better suited as pure backstab maneuvers which would be good for future expansion of that skill.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page