Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/08/2014 10:12 PM CST
>>I don't think we necessarily need to make all three defenses work against all attacks. Rather, we just need to make it so that you always get to use the two valid defenses against attacks that ignore the third one. The simplest (sounding) solution that I can see would be to just substitute the valid defense in which you don't have any stance points for the invalid one at the same percentage. So if you're stanced to use 100 Evasion and 90 Parry, for instance, and you get attacked by a ranged attack, that attack would proceed as though you were stanced at 100 Evasion and 90 Shield.

That is fine for solving the problem of getting caught out-of-stance. It does not solve the problem of people with 5 ranks of shield wanting to defense against lightning with their 1894 ranks of parry.

It also doesn't help with balancing DFA and other attacks that may try to ignore 2 defenses.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/08/2014 10:26 PM CST
<<That is fine for solving the problem of getting caught out-of-stance.>>

Isn't that 99% of the problem though?

<<It does not solve the problem of people with 5 ranks of shield wanting to defense against lightning with their 1894 ranks of parry.>>

Train shield? It seems like alternatives to the stancing structure just open other cans o' worms.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/08/2014 10:35 PM CST
A number of players posting here are up in arms because they abhor shield training. Shield is also difficult to use with bows. Many have expressed an interest in parrying arrows and fireballs. Have you not been following the thread?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/08/2014 11:38 PM CST
>>Many have expressed an interest in parrying arrows and fireballs.

Enchanted blades (only) ?
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/08/2014 11:42 PM CST
<<A number of players posting here are up in arms because they abhor shield training. Shield is also difficult to use with bows. Many have expressed an interest in parrying arrows and fireballs. Have you not been following the thread? >>

From what I can gather the main problem is parry is close to useless, because if you're in a parry stance ranged/spells wreck you.

If parry effectiveness was increased relative to shield vs. melee attacks (especially multiple opponents), and some sort of auto-stance check was put into place people would actually use parry stances. The majority of the problem would be solved.

I get people are asking to parry fireballs/lightning bolts and what not. I don't envy your position, at some point you're going to have to say no to someone.

Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/09/2014 01:11 AM CST
>>> Kodius: A number of players posting here are up in arms because they abhor shield training.

>>> Zubba: From what I can gather the main problem is parry is close to useless, because if you're in a parry stance ranged/spells wreck you.

I think the majority of posters seem to be expressing Zubba's concerns rather than general shield hate. Try training parry in any area with ranged creatures or magic using creatures. You can't do it currently. On the other hand you can use evasion / shield stances anywhere, even if they aren't the best. I can't count the number of times I have been training parry/evasion or parry/shield in the young ogre area west of haven only to get killed when one of the rare scout ogre walks in. I think magic using creatures are currently a bit unbalanced since my experience is that I get wrecked without a warding spell or become immortal against magic with one up.

>>> Kodius: Shield is also difficult to use with bows.

You can't parry with a bow, even if you are wearing a parry-stick. If you do you get rofl-stomped (to use a large MMO term that is probably outdated). Furthermore, I am not sure how parry with a parry stick while holding a bow is any less realistic than blocking with a worn shield while wearing a bow is. Medeival archers or crossbowman did occasionally wear shields with bows but they were to provide easy defence when attacked, especially at melee since they tended to be small shields, not to provide defence while firing their weapon.

>>> Kodius: Many have expressed an interest in parrying arrows and fireballs. Have you not been following the thread?

>>> Zubba: I get people are asking to parry fireballs/lightning bolts and what not. I don't envy your position, at some point you're going to have to say no to someone.

Once again I agree with Zubba here. It would be awfully nice not to get rofl-stomped by a spellcaster because I happen to be using parry as part of my defence.

You have said several times that you would have no reason to train shield on your warrior mage if parry had some parity. What I wonder is why it is acceptable that there is currently no reason to train parry. I still do because things change and someday parry may be the ultimate defence but currently I do so risking death because it is so bad.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/09/2014 07:11 AM CST
The issue with parry is not 'I hate shield' or 'I want to train X instead'. It's a hatred of of the I effectiveness of parry vs a significant portion of the attacks in the game.

People do NOT want to be able to train x instead of y. People want parry to not be the crappiest defense in the game, to the point where you have to be a complete moron to train it for actual effectiveness anywhere. It's. Simply a 'meet the reqs to circle and get TDPS' skill.

I cannot say this often enough: people DO NOT DISLIKE SHIELD. They dislike parry.

Because parry sucks.

It isn't better than shield, noticeably, in any situation, and it's demonstrably worse in most. That's the issue.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/09/2014 09:34 AM CST
<<It isn't better than shield, noticeably, in any situation, and it's demonstrably worse in most. That's the issue. >>

Everything he wrote was perfect. Again the only reason I train Parry is for TDPs at this point, there is zero chance I would use it in any legitimate situation even though its probably my highest defense (not by much though). I haven't neglected shield so for me its really not an issue, but at the same time, what the hell is the point of parry? It really does NOTHING. It is no better than HUM and Performance at this point.

I guess I'd use parry if I challenged someone to a sword duel or something lame and incredibly niche??? (I don't know if I even would use it then.)
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/09/2014 09:46 AM CST
<<It is no better than HUM and Performance at this point.

Maybe even worse since there's at least a minimal threat of dying when using Parry.

Nikpack
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/09/2014 11:35 AM CST
The issue seems to be that if you have no parry requirement to circle you could NEVER learn a rank of it and, at least at this point in combat, you would never feel like you were missing anything. Stick with that shield and evasion and you are going to be 100% OK.

Now the same is no where near true if you ever wanted to rely on parry and evasion and never learn any shield. That is just asking to be killed not only in PVP but often in PVE. You 100% would have to alter your hunting around mobs that don't cast spells or use ranged attacks (in addition to altering for other reasons like boxes/skinning).

That basic concept seems to keep being lost in this thread. It isn't that people hate training shield, it is that people hate that you HAVE to train shield and that other than circling parry as a skill is never worth the effort.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/09/2014 01:01 PM CST
>>That basic concept seems to keep being lost in this thread. It isn't that people hate training shield, it is that people hate that you HAVE to train shield and that other than circling parry as a skill is never worth the effort.>>

I think these days most people train Evasion, Shield and Parry. I don't think that the problem has anything to do with training, the problem is parry is terrible.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/09/2014 02:57 PM CST

Parrying arrows or bolts, yes I can see that.... parrying a lightning bolt or ball of fire? I don't see that at all, not even close.

If parry was made in the way some people have suggested, then from what others have posted, a lot of people would drop shield completely.... so a system to use some auto stance wouldn't be worth building, because those people wouldn't even be wearing a shield for it to auto change to.

Personally I have always found parry useless, and hated it, but I also don't like the idea that parry would work against spells.
I'd like to think the system would push for people to learn all three defences, for a reason obviously, not just for more ranks.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/09/2014 02:59 PM CST
Most of my little characters stance 5% in parry so it ticks and forget it. I only actively train parry on my Paladin for circle reqs and TDPs. I HAVE actually used a shield/parry stance in PVP, but that was against a chap I KNEW didn't have ranged/TM and was more of an outlier.

As for a long term answer, I don't envy Kodius here. Almost any real solution has its drawbacks though the solution presented that made the most sense to me was the 80/80/100. Gives each defence a nitch, and even if parry messages dodges vs ranged we're not getting utterly destroyed for being in the wrong stance for some reason while maintaining the ability to change stances inteligently. People actively swapping can gain an advantage, and the more casual players can set and forget without suffering a burden beyond what can be made up by buffs and whatnot.

Samsaren
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/09/2014 03:26 PM CST
One thing that's always bothered me when folks reject parrying ranged attacks is that - at least in my mind - it's just as realistic to block an arrow (let alone a lightning bolt) with a sword as with a buckler.

Bucklers are less effective than tower shields against ranged, and rightly so. Parry should be on par with small shields against ranged, IMO.

It has the side benefit of greatly improving gameplay balance.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/09/2014 03:41 PM CST
<<but I also don't like the idea that parry would work against spells.>>

I honestly don't see why a sword couldn't block a magical attack.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/09/2014 05:14 PM CST
If a magical attack is corporeal enough to block with a shield, it's corporeal enough to deflect with a sword.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/09/2014 08:35 PM CST
>The issue with parry is not 'I hate shield' or 'I want to train X instead'. It's a hatred of of the I effectiveness of parry vs a significant portion of the attacks in the game.

This. I don't hate shield, I hate parry!

You can sort of pick a class of weapon in DR, and they have stylistic variety among them, even moreso now with skill consolidations. But parry is just a defective shield skill. I'm not entirely convinced there's room for it in DR's combat system. I support removing the skill, and the defensive function of weapons, entirely. It's never contributed anything to the game but confusion and TDPs.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/09/2014 08:44 PM CST
>>One thing that's always bothered me when folks reject parrying ranged attacks is that - at least in my mind - it's just as realistic to block an arrow (let alone a lightning bolt) with a sword as with a buckler.

This.

My favorite was the guy that was like if you make parrying bolts and fireballs than you are destroying the REALISM of DR. And literally the next sentence was "I cant wait for enchanting" It makes you realize people will bend disbelief for whatever benefits them, but not if it doesn't.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/09/2014 09:03 PM CST
>>folks reject parrying ranged attacks

The real reason I reject it is because I am not independently wealthy enough to quit my job and invest the 400 man hours it will take to make it happen. :(

Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/09/2014 09:15 PM CST
>>The real reason I reject it is because I am not independently wealthy enough to quit my job and invest the 400 man hours it will take to make it happen. :(

You did offer an alternative, that is basically the same thing with different messaging, so I suppose that makes more people happy just seeing a shield block even though it's using parry ranks.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/09/2014 09:26 PM CST
>> >>The real reason I reject it is because I am not independently wealthy enough to quit my job and invest the 400 man hours it will take to make it happen. :(

I'm feeling that.

I also just want to say, that I just want to vote that I'm not anti shield (I like shield), and I train parry, but I'm disliking what parry can do, and how it right now seems to be regulated to a role of generate TDPs, train to meet guild requirements (guess I'm glad most of my guilds are weapon secondary and thus move it at a decent clip).

I'd like parry to have more teeth, more appeal, and want it to have what skills are supposed to have in 3.0, a reason to be in the game.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/09/2014 11:40 PM CST
Parry is superior to evasion at melee and usually better than shield at melee. I think if people auto-swapped to using shield when shot with an arrow, or were able to bonus their evasion with defending skill when shield wasn't available but parry was, you'd all be much happier.

Then training parry would be completely safe, and you'd get the best of both worlds. How to handle parrying ranged is a separate issue, but also something that I believe can be worked upon.

Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/10/2014 01:00 AM CST
>Parry is superior to evasion at melee and usually better than shield at melee. I think if people auto-swapped to using shield when shot with an arrow, or were able to bonus their evasion with defending skill when shield wasn't available but parry was, you'd all be much happier.

Definately! Maybe parry's melee superiority will be more noticeable when I have to do more than simply turn their parry off? I will attempt cautious optimism.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/10/2014 01:48 AM CST

>Parry is superior to evasion at melee and usually better than shield at melee. I think if people auto-swapped to using shield when shot with an arrow, or were able to bonus their evasion with defending skill when shield wasn't available but parry was, you'd all be much happier.

We were talking about this months ago, and you said the math had the staff stumped and it was unlikely to happen ever (or something to that effect).

But, yes we would all be much happier even just with an auto switch.

And yes we would still want parrying ranged, someday.

:)
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/10/2014 12:49 PM CST
> A number of players posting here are up in arms because they abhor shield training

As the originator of this thread, that is not what I've been asking for nor have most people been asking for. The majority seem to want all three defenses useful, especially in pvp. As it stands right now, people with 0 parry can get along just fine in all aspects of the game. I am not asking for that to also be true of shield, I'm asking for parry to be made useful. I do not think the auto-stance defending is the way to go. While there have been a lot of good suggestions, the one that IMO works best is:

1. Make parry work against ranged.
2. Calculate a defense score for ALL valid defenses. So if an attack contests all three defenses, it checks all three. If it only contests two, then it checks two.
3. Combine defenses into one general Defending stance, so people can still stance down overall defenses but one individually.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/10/2014 03:19 PM CST
>I do not think the auto-stance defending is the way to go.

Why not?
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/10/2014 03:50 PM CST
>>I do not think the auto-stance defending is the way to go.

>Why not?

Because that leads to situations where people can get away with only having two defenses, which means that people can neglect one of them which Kodius is trying to avoid. Making all three defenses contested is the only way to get the most accurate skill contest out of it. Reposting the below again of what I think is the most elegant solution:

> Parry - 80% against ranged, 100% against melee, 80% against spells
> Shield - 100% against ranged, 80% against melee, 80% against spells
> Evasion - 80% against ranged, 80% against melee, 100% against spells

Numbers can be tweaked but I think that's a really balanced, solid concept.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/10/2014 04:01 PM CST
>Because that leads to situations where people can get away with only having two defenses, which means that people can neglect one of them which Kodius is trying to avoid.

Huh? That's what allowing parry to work against bows would do. Auto-stancing means that you would have to train all 3, and then if you were in a parry stance when you got shot at with an arrow you would switch to a shield stance. It would use your shield skill at the percent that you had allocated to parry (maybe with a penalty?).
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/10/2014 04:06 PM CST
> Huh?

I think he's referring to the fact that you can still get away with evasion + shield and simply never train parry.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/10/2014 04:10 PM CST
>>Because that leads to situations where people can get away with only having two defenses, which means that people can neglect one of them which Kodius is trying to avoid

Auto Stance means that your stance would be A for missile attacks, and B for melee attacks.

For most people, this would translate to having a shield/evasion mix for missile and a parry/shield/evasion mix for melee. You'd still be training all three.

Most of the arguments that have been presented so far is that people are lamenting that there is currently a two-defense setup, because most people essentially expect to always face missile weapons at some point, so it's detrimental to ever bother trying to parry something.

>>I think he's referring to the fact that you can still get away with evasion + shield and simply never train parry.

True, but at least people with an interest in training parry wouldn't end up feeling like dopes for using it outside of training purposes.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/10/2014 05:03 PM CST
>>We were talking about this months ago, and you said the math had the staff stumped and it was unlikely to happen ever (or something to that effect).

Two different problems.

Problem 1 - Player is stanced 100 evasion / 80 parry, gets shot by an arrow.
Solution - Swap parry stance points to shield stance points when parry is ignored by an attack.

Problem 2 - Player is stanced 100 evasion / 80 shield, gets hit with a DFA attack.
Solution - Impossible math

Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/10/2014 05:34 PM CST
<<Problem 2 - Player is stanced 100 evasion / 80 shield, gets hit with a DFA attack.
Solution - Impossible math>>

Seems like another way to look at the problem is DFA shouldn't only contest 1 defense, nothing else in the game does.

<<Because that leads to situations where people can get away with only having two defenses, which means that people can neglect one of them which Kodius is trying to avoid. Making all three defenses contested is the only way to get the most accurate skill contest out of it. Reposting the below again of what I think is the most elegant solution:>>

Disagree completely. Adding in an auto-swap and increasing the disparity between shield and parry at melee would mean people would need to train all defenses or risk leaving themselves prone to some sort of attack.

Currently, the difference between shield and parry at melee is negligible (at least in my own rudimentary testing, and in the general overall feeling of players). Installing the auto-switch for ranged, and opening a very significant difference between parry and shield at melee would achieve what everyone wants, which is a purpose for using parry.

The problems with DFA can be solved by changing DFA.

Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/10/2014 05:42 PM CST
>>A number of players posting here are up in arms because they abhor shield training. Shield is also difficult to use with bows. Many have expressed an interest in parrying arrows and fireballs. Have you not been following the thread?

Yep that nailed it on the head most folks who are up in arms are either:

A old school LONG term players who did not train shield back when it was not necessary and too annoying to.
B armor tertiary guilds for whom watching shield ranks move is like watching grass grow (thiefs to name one).
C folks who dont like burden/hinderance in general (moon mage guild for one) cus shield adds both.

I have to admit that Prarry in todays system seems like the "third wheel", I also admit that training shield on say a thief and/or a MM is painful and slow and annoying and just downright mewh. However I still cant see how parrying a Fireball, Bolt or an Arrow for that matter is a parry thing. One on one yeah.. but in "battle type" scrums with lots of opponents and stuff flying all over the place I'd like to be encased in heavy thick plate and hidding behind a solid steel or wood plank (aka shield).

Parry should have meaning in Meele against meele oponents over Shield to be sure so there is some benefit to using it. On the other hand if you are figthing things that hurl spells while they attack you with a meat cleaver... yeah still need that shield.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/10/2014 05:52 PM CST
>Two different problems.

Wow, the inner workings of this game are odd.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/10/2014 06:09 PM CST
>> Huh? That's what allowing parry to work against bows would do.

Making parry useful allows you to go 60/60/60 without fear of ranged domination. This is currently impossible.

These allow for optimization of defenses in any particular direction.

I like the variability of this idea over the rigidity of the auto-adjusting stance idea.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/10/2014 06:26 PM CST
>>Making parry useful allows you to go 60/60/60 without fear of ranged domination. This is currently impossible.

Well unles the behind the sceenes "formula" adds them and uses the end number against the attack that wont work as in theory you are only using 60% of your evasion/parry/shield ranks and the current mechanisam as far as I know when it checks will check against 60% if set up 60/60/60.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/10/2014 06:40 PM CST
>> Well unles the behind the sceenes "formula" adds them and uses the end number against the attack that wont work as in theory you are only using 60% of your evasion/parry/shield ranks and the current mechanisam as far as I know when it checks will check against 60% if set up 60/60/60.

You have a minimum of 180 stance points to work with. Did you read the original suggestion? I'm thinking you didn't, because you're suggesting that stancing down to 60/60/60 only nets you a total of 60% of your defense. lol

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/10/2014 06:41 PM CST
>>Making parry useful allows you to go 60/60/60 without fear of ranged domination. This is currently impossible.

And if that did becme possible the question that comes up again is Why have the 3 different defence types? Whats the point?

The "Auto-adjust" thing is certainly a soution but it smacks of "easy button = win" and vastly diminishes the meaning of stances in general.

The more I think about this the more complicated/complex this issue becomes.

I like the concept of 3 types of defences allowing people to choose their own "style" of play. Having said that Shield pretty much = Must against ranged rgardless of your "style". If you did not consider PvP I suppose you can pick/chose your hunting areas based on what type of defences you wish to rely on heavily. Training all 3 in 3.0 = easy sauce. I have a guy in Shalswar where shield is a MUST cus of the sleep and fire/naptha arrows but I still can eek out some parry by having my stance at 100/10/75.

Dont suppose there is a way to do the "math" behind the sceenes to "auto select" defence based on the incoming attack? Stances would be worthless but having 3 different defences would not. Of course still means you'd need shield...
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/10/2014 06:52 PM CST
>> And if that did becme possible the question that comes up again is Why have the 3 different defence types? Whats the point?

The post:

>> Parry - 80% against ranged, 100% against melee, 80% against spells
>> Shield - 100% against ranged, 80% against melee, 80% against spells
>> Evasion - 80% against ranged, 80% against melee, 100% against spells

>> Why have the 3 different defence types?

Each is 'great' against it's particular niche and 'good' against others.

Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/10/2014 06:56 PM CST
>>> I also admit that training shield on say a thief and/or a MM is painful and slow and annoying and just downright mewh.

I don't think it is a training speed issue. Of the seven armour tertiary guilds, three (empaths, moon mages and necromancers) are also weapon tertiary and three (warrior mages, clerics and bards) are survival tertiary. All six of those guilds have one other defense that is just as difficult to learn. All six of those guilds also have other combat skills that they might want to train that are tertiary as well (weapons, skinning, locksmithing, stealth and perception come to mind). In fact on my moon mage and necromancer it is weapons, not armor, that slows down progression. So, really, it is only thieves who are likely slowed by shield and even they need to learn an armour skill and defending.

The biggest reason to want to train parry over shield is reducing stealth hindrance. But even then one needs to be out in the open to train both evasion and parry at some point so it is really not a big deal to stow a small shield in your pack and wield it when you are going to melee.