Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/06/2014 09:20 PM CST
>because its in a guilds prime skillset

A) My primary character is a thief. My secondary is a Cleric. Barb is..somewhere along 7th.

B) This wasn't a talking point till you tried to make it one. It has nothing to do with the price of moon rocks on mount fiji during a fig season. Parry sucks. It's niche is narrow and shield outperforms it even when parry is 'supposed' to be better. No one (sane) likes parry.

It's especially useless since shield blocks everything, whereas parry has range limitations, and is a worse skill overall. It means if you 'dare' to hunt anything that uses magic or ranged, you either use shield +evasion stance or rely on pure evasion, which isn't particularly fun.

No one has screamed about barbs, and it wasn't barbs asking for the changes. So you can drop that.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/06/2014 09:46 PM CST
I was just giving an example why GM's might be hesitant to make it useful for certain purposes, also, when these skills were created DR was a very different world and evasion was the primary defense. Like I said, I think parry should change for sure, its outdated. I think it should have some limitations to it though, because of the issues I brought up. I ATM play a survival prime, while my evasion is useful, its become less useful and that's reasonable, though i'm tert shield and parry which balances things out.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/06/2014 11:44 PM CST
>> Parry - best vs melee
>> Shield - best vs ranged
>> Evasion - best vs spell

>><<<Going by this to make defenses fair, parry should be just as good at blocking ranged attacks as shield is at blocking melee. >>>

>>Exactly well said Codi...

How is this well said?
Parry is by definition a defense used by swordsmen against other swordsmen.
Shields are used to block arrows (or against other swordsmen with shields, but that's not why they were created).

Ranged vs. melee Scenario #1 (bow vs evasion/parry)
Missle range - If I have a bow, and you have no shield, you're dead unless A)I'm a worse shot than you can evade B) You're a master swordsman who can knock arrows out of the air or C) you can run faster than I can aim and fire.
Melee range - If I can't evade your attacks long enough to shoot you, I'm going to die.

Ranged vs. melee Scenario #2 (bow vs shield/evasion|parry)
Missle range - You have a shield, crap. I better be a great* shot with this bow.
Melee range - That shield is still there.. crap! I better be a really great, really fast, really "evading your attacks"* shot with this bow.

*Unless I aim for your feet.

There are caveats and other things that are involved here, but I don't anticipate we'll see a realistic combat system that takes all possibilities into consideration anytime soon in DR. These two scenarios make the most sense.

Parry needs love. People without shields who only rely on parry and evasion should be extra nimble in melee combat.

In regards to shield blocking melee, It only really works if we're both using shields. If I have no shield, and you have a shield, you're extra defendy, but I'm extra attacky. (My weapon skill vs your shield skill) If we're both wielding shields then offense and defense should be considered when determining hits and misses (I've got 1500 ranks of small edge but my 20 ranks of shield means i can't defend and my weapon skill is hindered because this giant weight is attached to my arm!)
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 05:03 AM CST

>Parry - best vs melee
>Shield - best vs ranged
>Evasion - best vs spell

This is what the above made me think of:

You and your friend are going to have a race against two other people, you and your friend have three cars from which to pick two.

A car that has tires that are good for agile maneuvers and an engine with good acceleration.
A car that has tires that are protected against blowouts and an engine with moderate acceleration.
A car that has no tires and an engine with excellent acceleration.

Care to guess which one is parry?

Lets just put tires on all the cars so we can drive them.

I probably shouldn't be allowed to post at 5am.

Goodnight.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 07:47 AM CST
>>when these skills were created DR was a very different world and evasion was the primary defense.

Evasion is primary but you can't survive with just evasion. You always have NEEDED two defenses to survive otherwise you die very quick at level.

>> Parry - best vs melee
>> Shield - best vs ranged
>> Evasion - best vs spell

>> How is this well said?

Why I won't say what I said is 'well said' but its a fact. it's all a numbers game. Currently defenses are not balanced at all.

This would be balanced:

Parry - 80% against ranged, 100% against melee, 80% against spells
Shield - 100% against ranged, 80% against melee, 80% against spells
Evasion - 80% against ranged, 80% against melee, 100% against spells

Notice, all defense totals are equal when added together. While it may not be that simple in DR, because some perks may exist, that is balanced defenses. Currently Parry scores 0% against ranged and 0% against spells, making it a useless defense except in very controlled circumstances.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 08:24 AM CST
I think it was well said because his statement highlights the fact that a comparison of what the "best" uses for the defenses are leaves out an enormously important variable--how bad each one is against other types of attack.

The table that Codiax responded to suggests that each defense has a niche that it's strong against, this is true, but if you flip the table, you notice a glaring disparity in the defenses:

Evasion: Some situational disadvantages, but generally effective against every attack.
Shield: Some hinderance disadvantages, and potentially bypassed by rare DFA, but generally effective against every attack.
Parry: Modified (upwards and downwards) by weapon balance and totally unusable against two of the three attack modes in the game (TM and ranged weapons).

Whatever parity there is the "best" of each defense, there is none in the "worst" of each defense.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 11:50 AM CST
> Parry - 80% against ranged, 100% against melee, 80% against spells
> Shield - 100% against ranged, 80% against melee, 80% against spells
> Evasion - 80% against ranged, 80% against melee, 100% against spells

I like the above a lot. Still gives a reason for stances, and encourages smart play.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 12:31 PM CST
>> Parry - 80% against ranged, 100% against melee, 80% against spells
>> Shield - 100% against ranged, 80% against melee, 80% against spells
>> Evasion - 80% against ranged, 80% against melee, 100% against spells

I like this a lot.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 12:56 PM CST
Me too.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 01:17 PM CST

> Evasion - 80% against ranged, 80% against melee, 100% against spells

Obviously I agree, since that's what I've said twice in this thread already.

;)
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 01:18 PM CST
I'd just want to see it be 60/80/100 instead of 80/80/100 but otherwise awesome idea.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 02:14 PM CST
60/80/100 seems like it could be a bit harsh if you aren't quick enough to change your stance on the fly.

I really like the 80/80/100 idea. Sounds like a great balance.

>befriend clear all
You are now friendless.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 03:03 PM CST

Having read over this thread, I'd like to throw out an alternative idea, by mixing a few bits of what has been suggested....

Can defending be made into a different type of skill? One that you don't technically gain ranks in? What I'm thinking is that defending becomes the average of shield, evasion and parry, and only moves as these three skills move.

What happens then is, for PvE, stance stays the same system, and you learn shield, evasion and parry in exactly the same way, but... for PvP your ability to defend against an attack drives only from your defending skill, not what stance you are in or a particular choice two.

Obviously this depends completely on if the defending skill can be driven as an average of those three skills, which I have no idea how hard that would be to code, but it would mean that people had to train all three or they would technically be punished, but would not have to use both or be punished in PvP.

Examples
shield 500, evasion 400, parry 700 = defending skill used in PvP 533

shield 200, evasion 400, parry 350 = defending skill used in PvP 316

I'm quite sure there would be a lot more to this in the background, like people who aren't wearing a shield or holding nothing to parry with, how that's handled, but its an alternative idea which allows for a very balanced PvP experience without changing the way we can swap stance and train skills out of choice.

It could also be done in a weighted way, that your defending skill is taken from 40% highest of the three, 35% second highest, and 25% lowest

An idea? or would this definitely not work?
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 03:07 PM CST

As an addition: the defending skill would be the average of shield, parry and evasion all the time, it wouldn't be set to the average then gain ranks as you train, it would be a skill that just sat in the background and recalculated itself as shield/evasion/parry moved
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 03:50 PM CST
Maybe another option is that parry shield and evasion would provide an offensive penalty/advantage. Along the lines that parrying puts you in a position for a better attack, blocking in a worse one and evasion is neutral. This would be a bonus to attack stance.

So attack stance modified:
Evasion: neutral
Parry: + parry stance percentage * .05
Shield: - shield stance percentage * .05

Abison/Rystien
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 07:33 PM CST
>> Parry - 80% against ranged, 100% against melee, 80% against spells
>> Shield - 100% against ranged, 80% against melee, 80% against spells
>> Evasion - 80% against ranged, 80% against melee, 100% against spells

>>>I like this a lot.

I find it odd that you all seem to like this idea so much. I find it too simplistic and unrealistic. Although it does get the basic idea right -- that there should be balance.

Here's what I would do (or something roughly akin):

Defense Distant Ranged Close Ranged Light Melee Heavy Melee Spells Total Bonuses
Parry 40 100 100 40 40 320 2
Shield 100 40 50 70 100 360 -1
Evasion 60 40 80 100 60 340 0

Bonuses:

Parry -- Bonus to maintaining/increasing balance while defending, which in turn increases offensive capability. Large bonus to defending vs. multiple attackers. Also may be enhanced with dual wield (if you give up shield).

Shield -- Penalty to evasion while in use (i.e. hindrance).

Remember that of course you get to pick two defenses at once. Close ranged means the enemy is shooting you from point blank range -- parry would be able to knock the bow/crossbow away. May want to split up by spell type too.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 08:06 PM CST
I don't like it, sorry. It's very unrealistic.

Type Ranged Melee Magic
Parry 10** 100 10/Very Situational*
Shield 100 20 20 Situational/damaging*
Evasion* 60 20 50

* Gets x2 bonus when not attempting to parry or use a shield in tandem with evasion.
** Requuires special maneuvers
* Requires enchantments to work/avoid damage

These numbers are more like 2.0. I get that, I'm not arguing it. Balance and tweak the numbers for scalablilty but not the the point of lack of realism. The one thing that Dragonrealms has always had is a sofisticated realistic combat system (yes fantastical but still grounded in common sense when magic is involved)

So Parry blows at defending against ranged and magic. So? It's supposed to be! Please give me bonuses to attack and evade shield wielders when i have high agility, no shield, no encumbrance, and a rapier! Give strength based people a maneuver to bash a shield and stun their opponent.

Make stuns drop evasion and make them more appealing(oh you just fixed that, kudos)

If you want to PvP, don't focus on Parry, nobody does melee PvP (which is sad, I may host a melee/magic tournament who knows)
If you want to PvE parry is your best option for 90% of the creatures out there.

And if you want a fix for parry vs ranged? Enchant your weapon to parry arrows(or if you're a barbarian, learn the new zen archery parrying feat/skill/meditation/dance whatever)

Don't balance things, they all turn into the same thing.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 08:08 PM CST
>> I find it odd that you all seem to like this idea so much. I find it too simplistic and unrealistic.

It's consistent across the board, gives each defense a specialized function, allows for prioritized stances(melee/ranged/spells, ranged/melee/spells, etc...) and equates to 1:1:1. Also allows you to stance in all three at once EG: 70/70/64 without fear of getting rolled by one particular type of attack.

The beauty is in the simplicity.

IMO, your suggestion is too lopsided in certain areas and too specialized in others.

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 08:15 PM CST

>>It's consistent across the board, gives each defense a specialized function, allows for prioritized stances(melee/ranged/spells, ranged/melee/spells, etc...) and equates to 1:1:1. Also allows you to stance in all three at once EG: 70/70/64 without fear of getting rolled by one particular type of attack.

It shouldn't be consistant across the board, but I like specialized functions. Stance away you should be changing your stance depending on what you're doing. Equating to 1:1:1 makes no sense, again. If you want to jack-of-all trades then go hunt at 60% of your combat level, instead of 80%.

Please know that this idea of defense uniformity is a mistake. Provide magical workarounds that require maintenance if you must, but simplifying combat is not the way to go.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 08:55 PM CST
If it requires anything more than a plan for "ranged, TM, or melee," it won't work in PvP (or invasions I'd argue) without pretty complex macros and/or scripts. I don't want to re-stance when I retreat to optimize my defense against an opponent using the exact same attack style. I agree that the simplicity of that idea is the best part.

It definitely doesn't have to be 80%, but that general idea is a great one.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 09:26 PM CST
>>The beauty is in the simplicity.

Simplicity is boring. It's set and forget. I think players should be forced to react to their circumstances.

Granted, I'm not a big PVP person like many of you so take my opinion with some salt.

Also, keep in mind that my suggestion allows for combining two defenses together. So you could be 100% vs. many types of attack and only weak vs. one or two at any given moment. Personally I think it would be pretty fun to try to guess my opponent's weakness and jump on it at just the right time. But again, PVP opinion, take with salt, etc.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 09:34 PM CST
The issue is, currently, parry 'sucks'. It's not better than shield in its own special niche, and has more wildly varying modifiers.

The solutions many of you are proposing because the 100/80/80 proposals are 'too simple' do not fix the base problem, in that parry continues to be utter crap compared to evasion and shield in 90% of the cases. So you've introduced completely pointless micromanagement and tedium which still doesn't solve the original problem.

The game needs to tailor to both how people are using systems, and how the GMs want people to use systems. Needlessly complex systems are simply going to be ignored, or be driven by scripts that make it a one-touch solution anyway.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 09:51 PM CST
I had an idea but it's hugely incomplete, and sure has few potential problems to it...

What if a weapon's FOI effected which defense is best to contest it? Lower FOI weapons don't have a lot of oomph to them, but their speed/size (or in polearms' case, specialized shape) makes bypassing something unwieldly like a shield fairly easier. A simple movement of your weapon can knock such an airy weapon away, and so, parrying is a better choice.

On the flipside, a higher FOI weapon would have a rather hefty push behind it - if you tried to block a sledgehammer or large sword, trying to parry it would just get your weapon knocked aside and you'll still take most of the hit. So, buckling down and absorbing the impact into a shield would be the better choice.

This would not only allow parry to be useful against a number of weapons, it would give the lighter weapon types a particular advantage against people and critters that hide behind shields.

Or instead of FOI, Weapon Balance [as an 'instead' to relying on agility, or perhaps in addition to] or...something else could be used, perhaps. I dunno.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 09:55 PM CST
I like that idea as a general improvement to smaller weapons, entirely independent of the defensive stance changes. Whatever happens to parry, it would be cool for smaller weapons to have a bonus vs shields.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 10:04 PM CST
>>So you've introduced completely pointless micromanagement and tedium which still doesn't solve the original problem.

Complexity is not necessarily the same thing as tedium. You just have to strike the right balance.

Ideally, the system we settle on should be pretty good if you want to set-and-forget, but really shine if you take the time to respond to your situation appropriately.

Oh and I like the light melee/FOI idea. :)

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 10:08 PM CST
>>The issue is, currently, parry 'sucks'. It's not better than shield in its own special niche, and has more wildly varying modifiers.

The solutions many of you are proposing because the 100/80/80 proposals are 'too simple' do not fix the base problem, in that parry continues to be utter crap compared to evasion and shield in 90% of the cases. So you've introduced completely pointless micromanagement and tedium which still doesn't solve the original problem.

The game needs to tailor to both how people are using systems, and how the GMs want people to use systems. Needlessly complex systems are simply going to be ignored, or be driven by scripts that make it a one-touch solution anyway.

How do the GMs want people to use the systems? The system is setup to allow you to adjust your stance, telling me the GMs who coded it want stances to be adjustable, for them to matter. for what defenses you have available and your skills in them to matter.

If the current regime wants to change it, they will(I hope they don't unless it's for a more dynamic solution without watering down everything)

Complexity isn't complex for end users. Complexity is for behind the scenes calculations. All a user needs to know is to use parry vs melee weapons, shield vs ranged weapons, and evasion against magical attacks. They should also know that parry is really bad against ranged attacks. Shield is really bad against magic attacks, and evasion is really bad against melee attacks.

If that's too complex, I dunno.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 11:01 PM CST
>They should also know that parry is really bad against ranged attacks. Shield is really bad against magic attacks, and evasion is really bad against melee attacks.

Except none of that is true right now? Parry is flat useless against ranged attacks. Shield is great against everything, evasion is great against everything.

It's not complex right now. It's just not well designed. The 'here are 40 more layers' to go through solutions don't fix the basic issue with parry being bad. They just add more modifiers and conditions and qualifiers. For things to be equitable, either parry needs to function vs. ranged, or evasion and shield need to be knocked down to be 'as bad' as parry. That's the base fix. All three need to be equitable.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 11:25 PM CST

It's a great idea, but I hope it takes into account all the ranged attacks that happen from melee.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/07/2014 11:31 PM CST
<< Everything BADGOPHER wrote

Thank you, sir.

Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/08/2014 09:06 AM CST
> Evasion - 80% against ranged, 80% against melee, 100% against spells>>

I love this idea.

Currently I don't ever used Parry stance in PVP, unless of course I want to get destroyed.
Parry Ability: 1233 26.82%
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/08/2014 09:13 AM CST
If people feel sad about 80% parry vs ranged (because it is less realistic), you always could modify the numbers.

Parry - 70% ranged, 110% melee, 80% spell

To be equal though, all numbers still have to add up to the same total amount.

There is a guy on you tube that is parrying arrows from a stick bow. So if someone can do it in real life, I am sure you guys can see that it is 100% realistic in DR. Just because all of us find it impossible doesn't mean it is.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/08/2014 09:29 AM CST
<<If people feel sad about 80% parry vs ranged (because it is less realistic), you always could modify the numbers.>>

Playability > Realism

Jedi's parry laser beams. We are supernatural... (barbarians at least)
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/08/2014 10:39 AM CST
<< If people feel sad about 80% parry vs ranged (because it is less realistic), you always could modify the numbers.

No way, 20% is already too high. I doubt anyone will ever have any problems penetrating 20% reduced defenses unless they really shouldn't. Equally at 1000 ranks that makes 800 parry vs. 1000 weapon, you will be destroyed defending at those levels.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/08/2014 12:27 PM CST
> No way, 20% is already too high. I doubt anyone will ever have any problems penetrating 20% reduced defenses unless they really shouldn't. Equally at 1000 ranks that makes 800 parry vs. 1000 weapon, you will be destroyed defending at those levels.

I have a spell that provides a 20% buff to parry, have no access to shield buffs, and learn parry faster than shield. If it's only a 20% reduction, that's almost entirely offset by my buff*, and the better learning rate more than makes up for the remainder. Since I have no shield req, I'd drop it in an instant.

If a 20% swing is a combat-ender, that's a problem, since we get that much swing just from buffs.

* Almost. 1.2 * 0.8 = .96
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/08/2014 01:37 PM CST

<<I have a spell that provides a 20% buff to parry>>

or they could just nerf your spell.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/08/2014 04:29 PM CST
Sorry all, I don't want to sacrifice playability for realism. I don't want to have to nerf myself for realism.

Nerf shield and evasion, fine with me. It will just cause more people to complain later about "how bad shield is vs magic" or "how come I can't evade their melee swings" Or however everything falls into "balance"

Balancing games for PvP is a Bad Idea. I'm terrible at PvP because I don't change my training style, and I don't want to. I'm here to fight monsters. Parry is great for fighting monsters. Shield is great for fighting monsters. Evasion is great for fighting monsters.

Parry is terrible for fighting other people (because people won't engage you in melee combat). Fight melee people or don't use parry.

Or GMs can use enchanting to make people happy, thereby giving the options without changing(ruining) the realistic system we have.

Can't wait to see what happens with enchanting. AFAIK that will come out before any core combat changes do. Here's hoping you guys are happy with the results and we can leave core combat alone.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/08/2014 04:57 PM CST
While I like a lot of the ideas presented, it seems a whole lot more than necessary to overhaul the stance system right *now, especially when the suggestions already raise a bunch of questions; things like... What happens to the shield size benefit v. opportunity cost that currently exists (i.e. small shield is better at melee, large shield is better at missile, etc.) if shield receives a static modifier? How will a change like that affect guilds that rely far more heavily on one defense than the other two, especially if they can't augment every defense? What about the opportunity cost already in place (hindrance, balance penalties, etc.)? What about people who didn't bother training parry until now (we all know how much people love to backtrain)?

I can think of probably ten or more questions, but I don't want to play 20-questions.

The only significant issue exists with attacks that bypass one of the two defenses, and Kodius's proposal sounds like it addresses it relatively simply without drastically impacting other systems or having to change individual abilities. Parry stance with a missile attack incoming? Fine, bonus evasion using parry and/or shield skill for the attack. Shield stance with no shield? Okay, maybe bonus evasion in some other sensible fashion. I can't think of a more elegant fix while other systems are hashed out and finished.

On a semi-related note, I don't get why people keep separating PvPers and PvEers for this discussion. Everyone should be excited about a change that makes parry relevant, including PvPers, PvEers and PvEverything-That-Moves-And-Somethings-Things-That-Don't.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/08/2014 05:32 PM CST
I don't think we necessarily need to make all three defenses work against all attacks. Rather, we just need to make it so that you always get to use the two valid defenses against attacks that ignore the third one. The simplest (sounding) solution that I can see would be to just substitute the valid defense in which you don't have any stance points for the invalid one at the same percentage. So if you're stanced to use 100 Evasion and 90 Parry, for instance, and you get attacked by a ranged attack, that attack would proceed as though you were stanced at 100 Evasion and 90 Shield.

If that sounds too simple, we have the skills in place to make it more interesting already. By using an attack type against which the defender is not prepared, the attacker is effectively trying to obtain a tactical advantage. So, the above substitution could be modified by a Tactics vs. Defending contest, where the attacker's success applies a penalty to the swapped defense. This penalty should probably be smaller than the maximum allowable debuff potency, and a substantial success on the defender's side should probably apply a bonus (they've effectively baited the attacker into attempting to exploit a non-existent weakness that is actually a strength).

With this approach, "balance" between the defense types can be achieved by having the existence of attacks that ignore each of them. So ranged attacks ignore parry (I'd at least consider making parry flat-out work against thrown attacks, though), maybe melee ambushes ignore shield (or melee attacks from behind?), and melee attacks to an immobile defender ignore evasion. Or something. There's already maneuvers which ignore each of the three, so this seems to be a direction we're beginning to head anyway.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/08/2014 05:46 PM CST
Well that is what the initial thought of the system picks your best defense in any contest was all about. I didn't mind that.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/08/2014 08:22 PM CST
<<I don't think we necessarily need to make all three defenses work against all attacks. Rather, we just need to make it so that you always get to use the two valid defenses against attacks that ignore the third one. The simplest (sounding) solution that I can see would be to just substitute the valid defense in which you don't have any stance points for the invalid one at the same percentage. So if you're stanced to use 100 Evasion and 90 Parry, for instance, and you get attacked by a ranged attack, that attack would proceed as though you were stanced at 100 Evasion and 90 Shield. >>

This is all that's needed IMO. Everything else is extremely convoluted and will introduce all sorts of side issues that will need to be addressed.