Prev_page Previous 1
Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/13/2013 04:15 PM CST
I wanted to post a similar sticky for Combat as I did for Magic

Offense:

- Appraise your target. If it shows up as 'a harmless opponent' or easier, you're not going to learn very well from it. 'harmless' is where the difficulty starts to fall off.
- Getting yourself an advantage and dealing more damage will net you more experience as well.
- Make sure to keep your attack stance at 100 while attacking. Lowering your attack stance doesn't increase your experience.
- Buffs help! Higher attack scores let you hit for more damage (and more experience) as well as hit them before they hit you.

Defense:

- Appraise your target. If it shows up as 'A less skilled opponent' or easier, you're probably not going to learn very well from it.
- Each skill learns individually. If you have 300 shield and 100 parry, going against something that trains your 100 parry well is not going to train your shield very well.
- Stances play a direct factor in your experience. If your Parry stance is 60%, you'll get 60% of the experience you would normally get by parrying with 100%.
- If all you're doing is defending / trying to learn defenses, stance your offense down to 0 and use those extra 20 stance points. You'll increase your survivability and the amount that you learn. Don't forget to stance back to attacking when you're done though.
- Buffs help! They increase your survivability without increasing your base ranks, which means you gain more experience.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/13/2013 04:48 PM CST
Not sure if this is working right. Evasion = 597 Small Edge = 522 Parry = 412 Brawling = 284

In zombie maulers:

You are now set to use your evasion stance:

Attack : 35%
Evade : 100%
Parry : 100%
Block : 0%

Critter Offense, My Defense - a darkened scimitar with a simply embossed blade, you are certain that the zombie mauler is a worthy opponent.
Critter Defense, My Offense - a darkened scimitar with a simply embossed blade, you are certain that the zombie mauler is a truly skilled opponent.

You are now set to use your attack stance:

Attack : 100%
Evade : 100%
Parry : 87%
Block : 0%

Critter Offense, My Defense - a darkened scimitar with a simply embossed blade, you are certain that the zombie mauler is a difficult opponent.
Critter Defense, My Offense - a darkened scimitar with a simply embossed blade, you are certain that the zombie mauler is something that you'd kill quickly.

* Yamcer was just om nom nom'ed!

:(

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/13/2013 05:01 PM CST
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with an illuminated oval shield and a smooth brass parry stick with supple leather straps, you are certain that the sky giant is a less skilled opponent.

Your silver glow flares.
The air around you solidifies into a pale yellow haze and intercepts the attack with a shower of coruscating light.
* A sky giant sweeps low at you. You badly fail to block with a smooth brass parry stick with supple leather straps. The greatsword lands a good strike to your left leg.
[You're battered, solidly balanced with opponent in strong position.]
>
Your silver glow flares.
The air around you solidifies into a pale yellow haze and throws off bright waves of light as it resists the attack.
* A sky giant slices a rusty iron greatsword at you. You attempt to evade. The greatsword lands a good strike to your right leg.
[You're battered, solidly balanced with opponent in superior position.]
>
Your silver glow flares.
The air around you solidifies into a pale yellow haze and throws off shimmering light in the wake of the attack.
* A sky giant slices wide at you. You badly fail to parry with a smooth brass parry stick with supple leather straps. The greatsword lands a light hit to your left leg.
[You're beat up, solidly balanced with opponent in superior position.]

nyuk nyuk nyuk :\
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/13/2013 06:05 PM CST
>Appraise your target. If it shows up as 'a harmless opponent' or easier, you're not going to learn very well from it. 'harmless' is where the difficulty starts to fall off.

Does this factor in the penalty of having 3-4 on you, as far as danger goes? It's easy to have something be not much of a threat singly, but dangerous in groups, and we basically only pack hunt in DR.
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/13/2013 06:34 PM CST
>Does this factor in the penalty of having 3-4 on you, as far as danger goes? It's easy to have something be not much of a threat singly, but dangerous in groups, and we basically only pack hunt in DR.

I believe one of the big players was testing Unbuffed hunting last night .. not sure what he found.

Yamcer did post a critter appraise that was with AND without buffs and the buffs pushed it into harmless.

What is that verdict?

Deadly force, is the force which a person uses, causing—or that a person knows, or should know, would create a substantial risk of causing—death or serious bodily harm. Deadly Force is justified only under conditions of extreme necessity as a last resort,
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/13/2013 07:56 PM CST
>>Getting yourself an advantage and dealing more damage will net you more experience as well.

DR-SOCHARIS, is it possible for you to supply more details with this statement? In current DR, it is better to do low damage, fast RT to earn experience. It never pays off to do high damge with higher RT, it just doesn't pan out. In 3.1 is this changing? If so I like that, but currently damage experience does not scale to be worthwhile.

Thanks!

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/13/2013 08:18 PM CST

The critter difficulty appraisal includes buffs, debuffs, balance, position...Can you explain how the qualitative levels of training are intended to equate to real numbers?

Example:

If you attacked with a kertig javelin, you are certain that the enemy would train rather well.
If you threw the javelin at the enemy you are certain that it would train acceptably.
If you defended by parrying attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train very poorly.
If you defended by evading attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train quite badly.
If you defended by blocking attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you attempted to beguile the enemy with tactics, you are certain that it would train acceptably
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/13/2013 08:31 PM CST
>In current DR, it is better to do low damage, fast RT to earn experience. It never pays off to do high damge with higher RT, it just doesn't pan out.

I'm surprised to see this; my sense was that xp was awarded as a function of damage, not of hits. Is this wrong?
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/13/2013 08:36 PM CST
>> DR-SOCHARIS, is it possible for you to supply more details with this statement? In current DR, it is better to do low damage, fast RT to earn experience. It never pays off to do high damge with higher RT, it just doesn't pan out. In 3.1 is this changing? If so I like that, but currently damage experience does not scale to be worthwhile.

I have always wondered this as well, and meant to post a message about it, but never done it. I've felt like my small weapons train a lot easier than the heavier ones.

Am I better off switching to feint or similar instead of harder attacks?
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/13/2013 09:02 PM CST
<<I'm surprised to see this; my sense was that xp was awarded as a function of damage, not of hits. Is this wrong?>>

Kind of. In terms of maximizing exp per time spent, the exp increase for increased damage is not usually with the additional RT used in increasing damage (chop vs feint/jab/draw for example).

<<Am I better off switching to feint or similar instead of harder attacks?>>

Depending on the weapon, probably yes. For 2HE and 2HB, I use a lot of feints and jabs in my routine, with a good portion of draws and a very occasional slice/swing, respectively.
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/13/2013 09:02 PM CST
>>>In current DR, it is better to do low damage, fast RT to earn experience. It never pays off to do high damge with higher RT, it just doesn't pan out.

>>I'm surprised to see this; my sense was that xp was awarded as a function of damage, not of hits. Is this wrong?

Oh it is, but I think it doesn't scale well. For example you can feint with 1-2 seconds and there is a minimum amount of experience granted, that minimum amount at 1-2 seconds per swing (even if NO damage is done) seems to be more 'efficient' experience than doing higher damage with greater RT.

high damage hits need to have higher experience so characters 'try' to get highest damage possible

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/13/2013 09:35 PM CST
>>>>In current DR, it is better to do low damage, fast RT to earn experience. It never pays off to do high damge with higher RT, it just doesn't pan out.

>>>I'm surprised to see this; my sense was that xp was awarded as a function of damage, not of hits. Is this wrong?

>>Oh it is, but I think it doesn't scale well. For example you can feint with 1-2 seconds and there is a minimum amount of experience granted, that minimum amount at 1-2 seconds per swing (even if NO damage is done) seems to be more 'efficient' experience than doing higher damage with greater RT.

>high damage hits need to have higher experience so characters 'try' to get highest damage possible

that is weird I always seemed to earn more xp when I got more "killing blows" by this I mean I hunt with pretty much min RT with all my weapons and my 2HE for instance can kill in 3-5 swings.

so in 5 kills vs my Small edge that swings 10-14 times per thats roughly 50 swings total but my 2HE would have earned more XP in the 5 kills of 25 total swings.
( this math is not exact but a close version)

I always measured XP via kills not swings....Shrug very interesting thread.

Please shed some light.

Deadly force, is the force which a person uses, causing—or that a person knows, or should know, would create a substantial risk of causing—death or serious bodily harm. Deadly Force is justified only under conditions of extreme necessity as a last resort,
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/13/2013 10:52 PM CST
>I have always wondered this as well, and meant to post a message about it, but never done it. I've felt like my small weapons train a lot easier than the heavier ones.

There is a wide variation in abilities of spawning critters and I think that really causes experience to vary.

I have a script that kills one mob, changes weapons, kills another, etc. I frequently end up with one weapon at 3/34 when another is at 23/34. Sometimes it's one weapon, sometimes the other.
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/13/2013 10:55 PM CST
>that is weird I always seemed to earn more xp when I got more "killing blows" by this I mean I hunt with pretty much RT with all my weapons and my 2HE for instance can kill in 3-5 swings.

My guess is confirmation bias, have you actually tested high damage higher RT moves against low damage low RT moves and measured the differences of time to lock?

Some have, and the results are in favor of low RT sustained actions to generate the quickest amount of experience. I.E. feint/jab spam is optimal for exp gain and sustained exp.
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/13/2013 10:59 PM CST
>My guess is confirmation bias, have you actually tested high damage higher RT moves against low damage low RT moves and measured the differences of time to lock?

No I usually just analyze and then use the tactics combo set then analyze again until critter dies. I will do a test with this jab/feint suggestion thanks.

Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/13/2013 11:05 PM CST
This is in live, Codiax was questioning if this methodology has been changed in 3.1 since Socharis is suggesting damage may play a larger role now in exp gain on test.
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/13/2013 11:13 PM CST
>This is in live, Codiax was questioning if this methodology has been changed in 3.1 since Socharis is suggesting damage may play a larger role now in exp gain on test.

yeah was going to test it in test but thanks for the clarity.

Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/13/2013 11:21 PM CST
No problem, as an aside, if you plan to test, test with out analyze since that skews results with unnecessary RT.
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/13/2013 11:24 PM CST
oh good call didn't think about that...

Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/14/2013 03:46 PM CST
>>- Each skill learns individually. If you have 300 shield and 100 parry, going against something that trains your 100 parry well is not going to train your shield very well.

I understand that as a concept, but in practice this just doesn't really work out. Primary skills move faster than tertiary skills. My evasion is going to always be vastly better than my parry, armor, shield, weapons, etc.

So I'm essentially going to always have to train in a way that doesn't work my primaries in order to survive in combat. At some point, they might train on the same critter, but primaries move faster than tertiaries so eventually it'll always die out again until I get to the next tier.

It's just not a really enjoyable situation to consider, player-wise. There's no real advantage to being evasion primary if I end up always not being able to train it because it trains too fast.

I'm assuming that other guilds whose combats are a mix of primaries and tertiaries end up having similar difficulties.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/14/2013 08:58 PM CST
Howdy folks. Been in the hospital, again... 2013 needs to freaking end :(

Not well enough to get too involved for a few more days, but I'm going to patch something in for critters and I'd like some feedback on if it makes hunting/training easier, harder, or about the same. Please let me know what you think.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/15/2013 02:35 AM CST

Sorry to hear you're having troubles.

Seems the same in Cabalists, not noticing anything different from last night, exp is the same, offence/defense is the same.

As far as I can tell after 30 minutes anyway.

Hope you get well soon.
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/15/2013 10:08 AM CST
Well, I've crippled the ability for enemies to increase their OF beyond 100% like players can. For example, a CHOP attack gives about a 10% bonus to OF. A Charge might give 20% or 30% - I forget. Enemies would do something like... 85% OF, 85% OF, 100% OF, 130% OF, 85% OF... and because you don't learn better from the 130% OF, all it does is make the enemies eventually kill you.

This should make a difference for many players. Obviously, if you need a critter to hunt on that isn't available this won't do anything for you. Need a few more people to try going up a hunting area and see how it feels...

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/15/2013 11:56 AM CST
Hey, Kodius.

I spent some time hunting Drakes in test with Mazrian. Overall did not notice much benefit from this change, owing to two factors (imo):

1) The multi penalty is bad enough with 890 defending that over time I'm guaranteed to get rolled with four drakes on me. This is not nearly as bad if I'm standing around and casting spells instead of actively attacking but when I start swinging it becomes unworkable.

2) I have to work harder to do damage so things are not stunned / off balance / dying as much. This applies to my main weapons (Brawling, LE in the 800+ range plus buffs) and especially to the secondary weapons I tried to back train (in the 600 range). IDK if this is the result of combat modifiers like balance having less effect, or of having lower effective stats (effective agility down about 6 points because of new buff caps), or a bug, or something else.

IMO if you tweak the multi penalty down (and if I somehow discover how to do decent damage again) it might be alright.

Mazrian
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/15/2013 12:10 PM CST
Cabalists killed me more slowly with the change. Drakes, with four are hitting me less frequently which made it easier to train more things rather than concentrating on surviving long enough to fill the pools of my mains.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/15/2013 12:42 PM CST
Multi opponent penalties are suppose to be a big part of hunting in my opinion, the difficulty of successfully hunting is the only thing that separates the ranks. If hunting is super easy, noobs gain ranks at the same speed as expert players. I think all higher level monsters should be given brutally hard, borderline histerically funny special attack mechanics. Like Malchata from back in the day, blowing you all over the place with aoe stuns and immobilizes, and making all the noobs rage. That said, i wouldn't care if monsters got so hard they murdered everyone who entered them within 30 minutes.
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/15/2013 01:28 PM CST
>>I have to work harder to do damage so things are not stunned / off balance / dying as much

Can you please explain this? I don't understand what you wrote.

Possibility 1 - You do not believe off Balance/stunned enemies teach as well (they should).

Possibility 2 - Enemies die too quickly and easily (not sure why, I didn't change anything with their defenses).

Are either of those accurate?

Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/15/2013 01:30 PM CST
> Can you please explain this? I don't understand what you wrote.

I can attempt to translate: he's not as good at doing damage, so enemies spend less time stunned / off balance / dead, which means they have more time to beat him up.
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/15/2013 02:01 PM CST

>>>I have to work harder to do damage so things are not stunned / off balance / dying as much

>Can you please explain this? I don't understand what you wrote.

LE and Brawling damage caps are quite low.

Drakes makes them 10 times worse.
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/15/2013 04:50 PM CST
>>I can attempt to translate: he's not as good at doing damage, so enemies spend less time stunned / off balance / dead, which means they have more time to beat him up.<<

Yes, this.

Mazrian
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/15/2013 05:21 PM CST
The cabalist survivability change feels better to me. I'm still getting beat up, but it's at a challenging not prohibitive level. Evasion and stealth learning is still way, way low (or for some post 1300, apparently non-existent). As survival secondary, I learn them both at a crawl in there and that should not be the case considering they are a challenging (sometimes deadly) fight with every boost I can muster up.

A couple other things to note:

It's especially harder for some mages at the new "at level" because of TM's relative bleh power. Since our TM stinks, relatively, our attacks aren't stunning/unbalancing opponents, AND we get no balance boost for our spells, unlike weapons. Second, our disablers rely on the same juice as our damagers so it's more difficult to disable/TM attack, in a sustainable fashion. This is a major drawback when you're forced to hunt things that really call for you to put every tool at your disposal into effect.

Is there any chance the defensive penalties to combat moves can be looked at and toned down a bit? It has the "feel" of of old lunging if I do anything but draw or jab/feint against these bad guys.
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/15/2013 06:36 PM CST
I'll be deploying a few more changes here in the next hour. Let's see if it improves things at all.

Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/15/2013 07:01 PM CST
Hey, Kodius, sorry to hear you are feeling like crap. I am amazed that you are even working on any of this. Kudos to you! Still, I think you should rest. I hope you get better quickly so you can enjoy the holidays and time with your family.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/15/2013 08:51 PM CST
Enjoying the holidays with family and friends most likely isn't in the cards this year... but thank you for the well wishes.

Let me know if this helps any. I down-tweaked the defensive penalties for attacking. Going to look into brawling damage a bit and see what can be done.

Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/15/2013 10:10 PM CST
<Let me know if this helps any. I down-tweaked the defensive penalties for attacking. Going to look into brawling damage a bit and see what can be done.

It seems like somewhat evenly matched melee fights came down to these drawbacks for the most part, how is this going to effect a good melee fight? I'm neither way at this point, but figured all the cards should be on the table before things become permanent. Guess it would just depend on how dramatic the downtweak was.
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/16/2013 01:57 AM CST
Cabalists still can't get Parry/Defending past 1/34 even with 4.

Defend: 1446 39% riveted (28/34) +2.10
Parry: 1483 22% engrossed (27/34) +2.68

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/16/2013 01:58 AM CST
those are prime xp numbers, just gave em for rank reference.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/16/2013 08:50 AM CST
Cabalists seem really good to me in the range of about 900-1300 now. The bottom end of that range is very difficult (weapons), but can be down with heavy disablers and big buffs. Top end is slower, but still doable on defenses and offenses. They're getting enough shots in that I would have to see a healer some (they aren't totally safe like elders were), but not every hour (which would have sucked). Stealth and evasion learning both seem better than they were before.

For my part, great job. As tweaked, I like 3.1 cabalists. They're definitely more dangerous than my 3.0 hunting, but the risk seems to be matching the reward a lot better.

I also noticed that the teaching range fix opened up drakes a bit. That should be very helpful. I haven't had a chance to visit intercessors or elders yet.

Kodius, here's hoping you get a chance to take it easy and get some rest. We're hugely appreciative of all you guys do.
Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/16/2013 09:01 AM CST
>>It seems like somewhat evenly matched melee fights came down to these drawbacks for the most part, how is this going to effect a good melee fight? I'm neither way at this point, but figured all the cards should be on the table before things become permanent. Guess it would just depend on how dramatic the downtweak was.

In a truly even fight, both parties have a 70% chance to hit each other. I am guessing most "evenly-matched" fights really aren't so evenly matched..

On the PvP side I will be looking at hit points and armor and see if I can't reduce everything across the board to some extent. It is very difficult balancing this whole mess :(

Re: Optimizing Your Combat Experience 12/16/2013 09:04 AM CST
Oh, and I'd also argue that most hard attacks (CHOP, BASH, DRAW) still penalize your defenses by 5-15%. But it is less than the 15-25% that previously existed. These attacks also have an OF boost built in. The new special maneuvers (CLEAVE, CRASH, etc) have a major to-hit bonus built in.

I suspect most PvP problems come down to armor/barriers and the amount of hit points players have resulting in it taking many many hits to down a person.

Prev_page Previous 1