Prev_page Previous 1
IF/Aug/Warding 02/12/2014 07:03 AM CST

Rolled into test for about 15 mins. I am in the critter's soft cap, in prime, so the Defensive's lack of learning doesn't bother me. I am a bit concerned about the learning levels of IF/AUG/WARDING. At circle 79, I don't have many choices here, and as you can see they really didn't move at all. I had my forms up the entire time. Swan, Monkey. IF, at this snapshot isn't even at 1/34, neither is WARDING.

Circle: 79
Showing all skills with field experience.

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
Shield Usage: 495 43% examining (13/34) Light Armor: 499 27% analyzing (18/34)
Chain Armor: 447 34% intrigued (16/34) Defending: 500 29% considering (6/34)
Parry Ability: 479 37% dabbling (1/34) Large Edged: 437 09% very rapt (31/34)
Light Thrown: 423 94% dabbling (1/34) Offhand Weapon: 442 42% dabbling (1/34)
Melee Mastery: 408 21% scrutinizing (17/34) Debilitation: 227 32% absorbing (15/34)
Evasion: 530 03% dabbling (1/34) Perception: 505 27% ruminating (8/34)
Stealth: 532 44% perusing (2/34)
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/12/2014 08:52 AM CST
In Test, my barb has 250 Warding. Form SWAN and TURTLE taught 6 tics of Warding, but then stopped teaching.

Also, any chance whirlwind could teach Expertise?
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/12/2014 09:31 AM CST

Yes, I just went back...put up Dragon/Monkey. Seems like you get 3 "tics" on both...then they don't teach again. At least in the test period I ran it (granted a total of maybe 45 min.). I had Dragon up, went to Celps, left Celps, went to Stompers. Dragon was up for a good 30-45 min. Never saw any more "tics" beyond the initial 3. started monkey got 3...

That was it.

On a side note, Debil seems to be training better!
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/12/2014 09:56 AM CST
>Never saw any more "tics" beyond the initial 3

This sounds like the intended functionality after the change at the end of December. See the links below. The first will only work in Threaded View, the second in Legacy View.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Dragon%20Realms%203.1%20Test/Barbarians/thread/1613172?get_newest=true#
http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Dragon%20Realms%203.1%20Test/Barbarians/view/48

Javac
JGM - Crafting Team

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/12/2014 10:39 AM CST

I did the Meditate Research (swan, and received one tick. Couldn't Research Meditate anything else after that (form wise), so an additional 1 tic, on top of the 3 tics, is 4 tics. Then a cooldown timer on the Meditate Research ability.

Seems pretty mindnumbing,without further testing.
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/12/2014 11:05 AM CST

Yeah, I think meditate research is going to need a bit of kajiggering if it's going to be useful as a training tool. Otherwise, xp from abilities and such may need a look.
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/12/2014 11:38 AM CST

The cool down timer seems to be around 30 sec. on the meditate research. I am sure there is a more solid number out there. Could be 45 sec., I was just estimating. I did get "2 tics" a time or two. I could lock it up with some collecting in between each meditate, and then go hunt and turn some things on and off and keep it moving...

Workable, but seems to be a bit rough, and cumbersome.
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/13/2014 12:29 AM CST
Forms only teach one large chunk after they have finished ramping up. There is then a few minutes of cooldown before you can learn from it again. You just need to experiment and learn how best to learn from the system. It is still ridiculously easy to mind lock skills if you are willing to dump IF into it.

I have been able to to mind lock IF and Augmentation in just a few minutes with minimal effort from circle 10-200. The trade-off is you tank your IF and spend the next 15 minutes recovering it (out of combat) or 5 minutes (in combat). Warding is a bit harder, but not that much if you have sufficient abilities to keep it moving. I probably need to nerf IF/Aug and buff Warding a bit.... but geesh it really isn't that difficult.

Meditate Power
from start eagle
Form start bear
Form start wolverine
form start swan
meditate research serenity
meditate bastion
meditate focus
meditate power

(Wait 30 seconds for the exp to catch up)

Now you run out of IF and your Forms all come to a stop.

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
Inner Fire: 297 15% mind lock (34/34) Augmentation: 285 86% mind lock (34/34)
Warding: 234 71% concentrating (9/34)

Warding suffered a bit because I only used Swan, Bastion and the Research Serenity on it. Swapping out Turtle Form, Berserk Tenacity, or one of the other Warding skills would have seen it rise to 12/34 or 15/34 - possibly at the expense of a little IF/Aug. I could also just wait a few minutes and cycle swan and turtle and boom, 6-7 more levels of skill gain.

In combat it is easy to keep your abilities moving. Much harder to mind lock if you want to keep Forms/Berserks up, but it is not impossible. Periodically check your IF with meditate power and IF skill will ML in no time. Periodically drop a Berserk, and watch the numbers tick up. Meditate Research also works in combat - and is a good way to keep Warding or Debilitation moving if you otherwise have difficulty.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/13/2014 12:57 AM CST
The only problem I've encountered with my barbarian is in trying to fight critters that fight magic in 3.0. Before 3.0, I used to be able to fight adan'f with no problem due to barb magic resistance, and if I got into difficulty, i'd just berserk stone out of it. In 3.0 the mages would hit me, most every time, with their spells, so I switched critters rather than deal with them. I went off to caracals, and now fight dobeks with my barbarian, meanwhile using swan to train up warding. I've still popped into adan'f once in awhile, and they still hit me. So when in shard, I go fight young gryphs instead. And adan'f don't really teach me weapons any longer, at least not very well.

I'm just hoping that in 3.1 their magic is still not so overpowering, so I can pop in there once in awhile to gather a few boxes. By the way, I still can't skin mages. I'd like to be able to skin mages. Just 'cause. <#1 used to be skinnable, and #2, it suits her character to skin mages> Particularly since someday I'd like to fight dancers down there, and its the same issue with their magic. :-)

<<If I can't cast thunderclap, you can't summon the dark lord of the abyss to devour the flesh of the innocent>>
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/13/2014 02:28 AM CST
First, let me preface this post by saying I do not main a barbarian and I am just concerned about something in your posts Kodius so I thought I would ask.

You mention meditate research being usable in combat and then mention debilitation, so I have a few questions.

Isn't meditate research supposed to be the barbarian analogue of magic user research?

Why is it that meditate research is usable in combat while magic user research prohibits almost everything?

And my biggest and most important question, how in any way is it justified that research can train debilitation? Debilitation and Targeted magic require a skill contest against a hostile creature/monster/etc for any other guild to train and your post implies, at least to me, that barbarians can train debilitation both outside of combat and without requiring a class. I'm sure its not unknown to you that the magic user research does not teach either of the magic skills that require combat (Target/Debil) and that there is no intention to allow either of those skills to be taught outside of combat via research for magic users. At least, that is my understanding of research as it was proposed on the forums. If all of my assumptions above are correct, then how is it fair or justified that barbarians would be able to train debilitation outside of combat contests or classes?

Perhaps Im misunderstanding the difference between barbarian research and MU research and there is a balance point, but just reading through this forum I did not see it. Ill be happy to explain my concerns further if its not obvious why I think this isn't fair or balanced. Please explain if you read this and find the time, thanks.
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/13/2014 06:32 AM CST

Doesn't the magic user research lead to another buff, being added to the spell being cast?

If I read right it does.
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/13/2014 06:40 AM CST

Thanks Kod! I figured it out some yesterday. Looks workable for sure. I love the work with the Maneuvers, and saw that you have over 50 planned? Very nice.
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/13/2014 07:15 AM CST

>Isn't meditate research supposed to be the barbarian analogue of magic user research?

No, it's more akin to DISCERN that teaches some xp because barbs cannot spam cycle abilities as easily as MUs

>In combat it is easy to keep your abilities moving. Much harder to mind lock if you want to keep Forms/Berserks up, but it is not impossible.

Out of curiosity, doesn't this seem really counter intuitive to you Kodius? I can understand Berserks and Meditations being a one shot injection of XP, but shouldn't forms, which we keep up longer, train more akin to new cyclics, that is, they ramp up in xp, plateau off, and then ramp down? I worry that in combat, barbs will be placed in a position wherein to train Warding and Aug, they will have to do the MU equivalent of releasing a defensive spell, waiting a minute, and recasting said spell.

I never have any problems moving IF; anyway MEDITATE POWER could teach a bit of xp according to what stuff is up? I.e., if you've got SWAN and MONKEY and TURTLE up, it teaches 2 tics of warding and 1 tic of aug, on a timer, of course.
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/13/2014 07:17 AM CST

Unless of course you pick up the specialty that lets you meditate in combat, and/or fire up and immediately drop berserks. Or fire up and drop a little later some forms. I suppose it's not that bad...
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/13/2014 08:49 AM CST
@ThompsonJ209

You are thinking of symbiosis, which is something different as a "fix" for gaps in ways to train aug/ward/util by extending the teaching ranges of lower tier spells. Basically, turning an advanded into exotic or intro into basic, etc.
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/13/2014 09:02 AM CST

Ah, gotcha. Well, I can't speak for a GM, but our abilities are like cyclicates (however, we aren't gaining exp. like a cyclicate), that you'd have to turn off and on to get exp from and the turning off and on burns through IF. I guess, instead of giving us the same exp. pattern of Cylcicates they gave us this.
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/13/2014 09:12 AM CST
@JHALIASCLERIC

I don't see anything wrong with "DISCERN that teaches xp because barbs cannot spam cycle abilities as easily as MUs". The specific point I have a problem with is in regards to applying that to debilitation. Learning TM or Debilitation should not be possible outside of a combat contest or a class. A "DISCERN" is neither of those and is a bypass that would enable essentially risk free experience for a skill that is strictly tied to combat. In post 72 in this folder kodius says,

"It was my understanding that the new MU RESEARCH options would allow them to learn debilitation out of combat?

Can't keep this stuff straight."

Well, MU RESEARCH options don't include debilitation as far as I can tell. And I think there is a post in the magic folder that stated that research isn't for tm/debil but for aug/ward/util etc. Those are all skills that are not restricted to a combat contests and can be trained anywhere - so having a new way to train them anywhere doesn't break any molds. If you are having trouble seeing it from my perspective, imagine if a MU could just DISCERN on a cooldown, anywhere, and learn tm/debil. Or if a thief could just backstab the air. Etc etc. Nevermind that we can do literal nothing while doing a research project as a penalty of sorts for not training the skill in the usual way, via casting.
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/13/2014 09:27 AM CST
>>I'm just hoping that in 3.1 their magic is still not so overpowering, so I can pop in there once in awhile to gather a few boxes. By the way, I still can't skin mages. I'd like to be able to skin mages. Just 'cause. <#1 used to be skinnable, and #2, it suits her character to skin mages> Particularly since someday I'd like to fight dancers down there, and its the same issue with their magic. :-)

Well, hoping means it might not happen. I can only test so much, and we need players to try and give us their feedback.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/13/2014 09:28 AM CST
>>Why is it that meditate research is usable in combat while magic user research prohibits almost everything?

For the same reason Barbarians don't cast spells. It is fundamentally different in every way from MU research.

Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/13/2014 09:32 AM CST
>>Out of curiosity, doesn't this seem really counter intuitive to you Kodius?

It is no different than a mage trying to ML in combat. They would have to spam abilities that are not-useful for killing things to keep their skills MLd.

I almost wish we'd make it so skills could not ordinarily reach mind lock. It is not as useful a metric of how well you train now that skills all drain uniformly. If you are in combat and have your skills above 2/34, you are learning as best as the guy sitting at 34/34. It is extremely simple for all magic/supernatural users to keep those at 2/34 or higher, all of the time, 24/7, in or out of combat.

Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/13/2014 09:33 AM CST
>>Well, MU RESEARCH options don't include debilitation

Yes, I do need to remove the ability to learn debilitation while out of combat. I have no problem with MEDITATE RESEARCH allowing debilitation gain while engaged. I'll have to see how others feel about it though.

Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/13/2014 09:51 AM CST
<<Well, hoping means it might not happen. I can only test so much, and we need players to try and give us their feedback. >>

DRTEST:
>stat full
Brave Adventurers Questing:
Barzella

Active Players: 1
Active Mentors: 0

Staff on duty:

Chatter[Barzella] anyone here that can copy me over from plat?

crickets chirp.

more crickets chirp

>quit

<<If I can't cast thunderclap, you can't summon the dark lord of the abyss to devour the flesh of the innocent>>
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/13/2014 09:57 AM CST
>It is no different than a mage trying to ML in combat. They would have to spam abilities that are not-useful for killing things to keep their skills MLd.

It's not so much that a mage has to spam abilities, which for DRs training paradigms I suppose is fine (or is what it is), it's that a barbarian has to drop abilities. A barbarian can't go FORM SWAN, wait 1m, FORM SWAN, wait 1m, FORM SWAN, wait 1m, they have to drop the ability. This is moot once you've picked up more than one warding and more than one aug form, admittedly, or if you're not hunting at cap and need all your abilities up at any given time. I agree that it's presently broken xp, and my barb has basically had warding aug and IF locked since 3.0 hit, so I'll have to experiment around a bit more with the 3.1 paradigm and see how easy it is to move the skills.

I just felt the changes to cyclics in 3.1 seemed very reasonable and intuitive, and was hoping FORMs would get a similar treatment.
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/13/2014 07:01 PM CST
>>more crickets chirp

It's almost like GMs might not be available to respond to a very technical request on a weekday morning...

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/13/2014 07:50 PM CST
>>In 3.0 the mages would hit me, most every time, with their spells, so I switched critters rather than deal with them. I went off to caracals, and now fight dobeks with my barbarian, meanwhile using swan to train up warding.

This is not a problem unique to Barbarians in 3.0. Many spell flinging Critters are "broken" To watch something funny have a War Mage with Aether Cloak walk in and sit there. What you will see is Mages ONE shooting themselfs with their spell. That should not be possible 3.0 AT level. It basically means their spell casting is OMG OP. Same goes for Adnaf Dances and Malchata. Other spell flinging creatures have abilies that have been OP since 3.0 has been released.

Red Names already said they are aware of the issue but its a matter of resources and not being able to hunt down all these One by One and nerf em not enough people and/or time.
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/14/2014 12:27 AM CST
>>and was hoping FORMs would get a similar treatment.

I dropped everything and coded up the meditate research ability was coded up specifically to address this complaint, and have no further ideas on how to improve at this time.

Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/14/2014 07:08 AM CST
ya, well, saying you have to have players to test, there have to be GMs there too to make it possible :-)

need both to make it work.

Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/14/2014 09:52 AM CST
>>I dropped everything and coded up the meditate research ability was coded up specifically to address this complaint, and have no further ideas on how to improve at this time.

This comment goes out to all experience.

does anyone else find it completely silly that experience target/debil/aug etc was nerfed so much that a whole new (completely unnecessary) line of commands were created to train those skills that don't even use the abilities?

I mean this is the most backwards thing I have ever heard of. It's almost like imagining up extra work for yourself for job security or something.

This is not directed at YOU Kodius, it's directed at the entire SIMU team's line of thought here.

Codiax.
Vote: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/14/2014 10:09 AM CST
>>This is not directed at YOU Kodius, it's directed at the entire SIMU team's line of thought here.

This was my exact feeling on what was done with Magic when lower tier spells stopped teaching after X ranks.
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/14/2014 10:16 AM CST
Why not instead of the "research" thing do to Forms what was essentialy done to Cyclic spells.

Start Form X. Pulse 10 to 15 times. Learning starts slow ramps up than back down towars last pulse. Stop learning after 10 to 15 pulses (pick a number). CD timer on restarting that form of 2 to 5 min. Start Form after CD timer repeat
= proft!

Instead we get this complicated convoluted system. Of course the "trolls" are going to come out in force after this comment and say "its just 1 or 3 lines on your script its not like its hard".....
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/14/2014 10:22 AM CST
>Why not instead of the "research" thing do to Forms what was essentialy done to Cyclic spells.

Which is what I suggested.

>does anyone else find it completely silly that experience target/debil/aug etc was nerfed so much that a whole new (completely unnecessary) line of commands were created to train those skills that don't even use the abilities?

Just to clarify, debil/TM experience wasn't nerfed AFAIK; you can still learn TM/debil using low tier TM/debil spells on critters that will teach TM/debil. Aug/Ward/Util symbiosis seems to be more aimed at deepening functionality of spells, but yeah, it is kind of an odd approach.

>I dropped everything and coded up the meditate research ability was coded up specifically to address this complaint, and have no further ideas on how to improve at this time.

And MEDITATE RESEARCH is a nice method for continually moving some of those skills, but doesn't solve the issue that barbarians can't train all skills like mages due to IF limitations, and have to drop abilities to spam those that they can. One idea that was discussed earlier was letting MEDITATE POWER teach Aug/Warding/IF based on which abilities are currently up (I.e., if SWAN and MONKEY are up, MEDITATE POWER teaches some IF, some warding, and some aug).
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/14/2014 10:28 AM CST

<<I mean this is the most backwards thing I have ever heard of. It's almost like imagining up extra work for yourself for job security or something.>>

Admittedly I haven't hit test much to try the new stuff out, but this entire explanation seems a little strange. So you want us to put up like 10 abilities and tank IF just to ML stuff? I don't get it. I think the whole cyclic/form exp was blown out of proportion and I kind of hate this "solution" to the problem, but hey I just play I don't make these kind of calls.

Before anyone gets all upset about this, I do appreciate the development and the work going into DR, and all the work the GMs do, just voicing a concern. From what I've seen with some of the rest of the 3.1 stuff it looks pretty cool.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/14/2014 10:36 AM CST
>>So you want us to put up like 10 abilities and tank IF just to ML stuff?

As bad as you think this is. Thiefs and Khri have it worst. I put up 12 Khri and got 2/4/4/2 mindstates after tanking all my concentration.

There is this "witch hunt" against easy EXP gains in general. The biggest issue that I gather is the ability to learn OUT of combat continously. I am not sure how doing all the above is going to stop/fix that but that seems to be the general intent slow down EXP gains.

Going back to complex UMPteenth steps required process is not my idea of a fix. This of course is just MY oppinion.
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/14/2014 11:36 AM CST

<<There is this "witch hunt" against easy EXP gains in general.>>

I think the funny part of that is at the end of the day this ends up favoring the hardcore players and hurting the casual gamers.

put a cylclic up and lock some magics while you hang out at the bin, or do a complicated series of casts while you try to also hang out at the bin. The hardcore gamers are gonna have it all locked all the time anyway. Why not make it easier for the casual gamers to keep pace?

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/14/2014 12:22 PM CST
If we've learned anything from Hum style exp rewards, its that they are bad for game balance. If exp rewards are so high or so easy that there is little difference between your typical 'hardcode' and 'casual' player skill levels, that tells me there is clearly a problem.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/14/2014 12:32 PM CST
>>If we've learned anything from Hum style exp rewards, its that they are bad for game balance. If exp rewards are so high or so easy that there is little difference between your typical 'hardcode' and 'casual' player skill levels, that tells me there is clearly a problem.

Don't think anyone is asking for easy, free experience. But if you are creating a bandaid type of system on top of another system just to learn faster, then clearly there is a problem too.

Existing abilities can be balanced to take ~30 minutes to lock a skill without bandaids. First question before doing something like this is ask, "Does creating this enhance a users experience playing this game". And if the answer is No, rethink another solution.

Codiax.
Vote: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/14/2014 12:33 PM CST
>put a cylclic up and lock some magics while you hang out at the bin, or do a complicated series of casts while you try to also hang out at the bin.

FWIW, research is hardly more complicated than cyclics (less fire and forget by... a little), and SYMBIOSIS is one additional command over normal casting. So. That. But otherwise I agree, making XP gains tedious isn't a good direction.
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/14/2014 01:12 PM CST
>Existing abilities can be balanced to take ~30 minutes to lock a skill without bandaids.

The new paradigm for exp seems to be Effort=Reward, which I don't think is a wrong way to go. No matter how you balance it, if you can stay over 2/34 in a skill with extremely minimal effort/time investment then that's basically free exp. This is why we are seeing Cyclics, Barb, and Thief abilities, which are generally Fire and Forget once started, having the bulk of their exp rewards being moved over to a RT Investment=Exp method. So to me its less of a bandaid and more an intentional design decision, though one I know will be unpopular.

>First question before doing something like this is ask, "Does creating this enhance a users experience playing this game". And if the answer is No, rethink another solution.

Game balance is a thankless job, no one likes their abilities being weakened or exp lowered even if its in the best interest of the game as a whole. The good news is that these changes are still in the testing phase, so it very possible they are not were they need to be. We need less knee jerk reactions (not an accusation, just a general observation) and more hard test data so Kodius/other involved GMs can make tweaks as need.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/14/2014 01:22 PM CST
>>Game balance is a thankless job

Game balance is very important. Playability is more important. One thing that folks forget here a LOT of people who play a Barbarian did so beacuase they did NOT have to deal with magic and the RT UMPteen actions needed to cast all manner of spells. Simple. Take out a weapon and chop the thing in front of you to bits. Very appealing to certain people. Now weather you play a barbarian, a thief or a magic user it is starting to look more and more alike just different names for things.
Re: IF/Aug/Warding 02/14/2014 01:25 PM CST
Every guild operating under the current cyclic system would be balanced across the board. I don't recall an uproar against cyclics from the majority of the playerbase.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Prev_page Previous 1