Prev_page Previous 1
New names 02/27/2004 04:45 PM CST
What the hell happened to the GMs who monitor names

lately in haven i keep seening more and and more absurd names, ruins my enjoyment to see everyone in the town named, growler harlet smashandbash cheechandchong cheesehead bubblesbuttercupblossom pappasmurf

Don't fear the dark, fear what hides in it.
Re: New names 02/27/2004 05:18 PM CST
Have you seen McProwlen, the prydaen thief?

He's by far my favourite.

You may call me McMusic, now.

Re: New names 02/27/2004 05:32 PM CST
i seen the hamburglerr

Re: New names 02/27/2004 05:37 PM CST
one of the gms gave me a hamburglar title once <it only lasted until i logged off>

---
A scavenger troll arrives, scouring the area.

The scavenger troll exclaims, "I dinks I like da' Moongate!"

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
Re: New names 02/27/2004 05:45 PM CST
it ought to be conset to people who is offended by them

Re: New names 02/27/2004 06:03 PM CST
> What the hell happened to the GMs who monitor names

We fired them all and replaced them with GMs who kill people via invasions.

Seriously, tho... if you see a name you think is unacceptable, use REPORT, one time. Some of the time, we're not going to agree, and some of the time, there are more pressing things we have to work on, so names need to wait a little bit. We still do handle bad names, tho, truly.

-Tessima
Re: New names 02/27/2004 06:03 PM CST
> one of the gms gave me a hamburglar title once <it only lasted until i logged off>

April 1 is right around the corner!

-Tessima
Re: New names 02/27/2004 06:29 PM CST
Harlot is an appropriate name, shes been walking around a month now, if someone named harlet spoke to my daughter when shes online id prolly kill her and get locked out

and Cheesehead? next well have people named prostitute and Newenglandpatriotsfan

Re: New names 02/27/2004 06:33 PM CST
It pays to advertise, Valcer.

Jerevth

I can't fire them. I hired these guys for three days a week and they just started showing up every day. That was four years ago
Re: New names 02/28/2004 05:41 PM CST
Nothing wrong with Cheesehead just like nothing wrong with the name 'Blackbeard'

______
You can't make chicken salad with chicken poop.
- Unknown
Note: original quote did not use word "poop" but since this is a more family oriented board "poop" was used.
Re: New names 02/29/2004 07:50 AM CST
The Ranger Jodizzle is one that my friend and I can't stand. He actually came into a room and asked, "Can someone teach me Primizzle Magic Yo?" My friend consistantly tries to find reasons to kill him.

"Statisics show there are more children in the world today... that's China's fault."
"Where did you hear that!?!"
"...Regis."
Re: New names 02/29/2004 10:33 AM CST
>"Can someone teach me Primizzle Magic Yo?"

Adding "izzle" to the end of any word should be punishable by death. And saying it in the game should probably warrent something too.

Steel.

YOU HAVE <insert ability here>!! YOU ARE OVERPOWERED!! DIE GUILD DIE!!!

Now with combat move charts!
http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/steelflash
Re: New names 02/29/2004 10:49 AM CST
>> Adding "izzle" to the end of any word should be punishable by death. And saying it in the game should probably warrent something too.

A ghettoling exlaims, "Fo shizzle mah nizzle!"
Re: New names 02/29/2004 04:11 PM CST
<<The Ranger Jodizzle is one that my friend and I can't stand. He actually came into a room and asked, "Can someone teach me Primizzle Magic Yo?" My friend consistantly tries to find reasons to kill him.>>

I wish they would've done that with me in the room. I would've cracked up.

Muely
Re: New names 02/29/2004 04:13 PM CST
I'd have webbed him and enjoyed it.

~Dulcinia

Bractos: I have a whole new appreciation for this all female regiment thing now.

Allurana asks, "Does this mean we get to kill men now?"
Re: New names 02/29/2004 05:55 PM CST
I'd have shot him in the face until he stopped moving forever.

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia

It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything.
Re: New names 02/29/2004 10:54 PM CST
cheesehead isnt alright its ooc as team fans name
and its just silly it doesnt belong in a rp environment blackbeard makes a lil more sense

Re: New names 03/01/2004 12:34 AM CST
>>cheesehead isnt alright its ooc as team fans name<<

And Blackbeard is the name of an OOC pirate.

I'll be the first to say that there's a lot of names floating around out there I dislike immensely, but if they're going to let some God-awful things slide, they might as well let the God-awful things slide with a measure of equality.

Larcus' Player

"It's a metaphor of human bloody existence, a dragon. And if that wasn't bad enough, it's also a bloody great hot flying thing." -- Terry Pratchett
Re: New names 03/01/2004 01:19 AM CST
Blackbeard is a name with an origion that could be from a legitimate in game situation. Same as was with the Pirate.
Cheesehead- come on, Larcus. I think you're arguing to argue.

Jerevth

I can't fire them. I hired these guys for three days a week and they just started showing up every day. That was four years ago
Re: New names 03/01/2004 02:16 PM CST
>>Blackbeard is a name with an origion that could be from a legitimate in game situation. Same as was with the Pirate. Cheesehead- come on...<<

Cheesehead the Rakash has a sad history. During the flight towards the east the young child had an encounter with the unending hordes of undead. While his parents fought off the horde with magic and arms, the young child sought refuge in a farm. Long silence held over the farm after the last scream of battle faded.

The door to the farm house slammed open. The young Rakash, thoughts of what horrific fate awaited him dancing through his adrenaline-soaked mind, tumbled into some of the equipment head first. It wasn't until after he got the roquefort out of his ears that he realized the insane laughter was his packmates come to collect him again.

>>...Larcus. I think you're arguing to argue<<

Partially. I don't post anything I won't get some entertainment out of. Though my point is valid: They are both equally hiddous names that no man in their right mind would choose. I think they both should be made to choose names that take more than thirty seconds of thought. But, knowing how the naming policy has gone lately, it's more realistic to say they will both be equally accepted.

Larcus' Player

"It's a metaphor of human bloody existence, a dragon. And if that wasn't bad enough, it's also a bloody great hot flying thing." -- Terry Pratchett
Re: New names 03/01/2004 03:18 PM CST
Thanks for the chuckle.
Roquefort Rakash... heh

Jerevth

Re: New names 03/01/2004 09:18 PM CST
someone would choose blackbeard, as someone did, alot of cultures named themselves after things, but cheese head is pushin it noones head is made of cheese, but personally i agree i dont think any real words should be in names, like pureblade,etc. They wouldnt even let me have word blood in my last name they made me change, and they made my barb change for naming himself Proximo, just cause it was similiar to 1 small character in the movie gladiator, and yet now they let any dam word around pass through and dam near most names from shows and movies

Re: New names 03/01/2004 09:33 PM CST
<<someone would choose blackbeard, as someone did, alot of cultures named themselves after things, but cheese head is pushin it noones head is made of cheese,

Just to share real life insight.

Many cultures also have nicknames or pet names of people that are the only names anyone in the city even knows them as. Literally no one knows there real name except for the birth certificate. and they don't have drivers licenses or cars and credit cards and crap like that.

I got plenty Cajuns in my family.

They got names like Punkin, Snapper, BoBo, Puddin, Dubby and ETC ETC. CheeseHead is not to far a stretch. One of them insist on calling me Al-Fonce or something like that. Thank god I don't go around them much for that name to stick.

I love my GRITS !
Girls Raised In The South !

Re: New names 03/01/2004 09:35 PM CST
<<and yet now they let any dam word around pass through and dam near most names from shows and movies

Another pet peeve... all of those Strider rip-offs

"Statisics show there are more children in the world today... that's China's fault."
"Where did you hear that!?!"
"...Regis."
Re: New names 03/02/2004 12:21 AM CST
Also here: Scout Jodizzle.

Neverfizzle just arrived.
Re: New names 03/03/2004 12:01 AM CST
pet name aint same as real name noone in ya family is named cheese head for real, i dont mind someone bein called it but not the named, if i cant have fire or blood in my last name when i made mine how can they have cheesehead

Re: New names 03/03/2004 07:44 AM CST
>>if i cant have fire or blood in my last name when i made mine how can they have cheesehead

That wierd, since I have fire in one of my characters that I made back when the naming policies were enforced quite a bit more. Probably a good 4 if not 5 years now.

Brabs

Fighting with a bunch of archers in Geni.

"Hey, it's shoot GENI, not shoot GEN!"

Ambassador Genneron, of M'riss
[Arcath] "Public Service Announcement: Please shoot at the archers and not at Arcath"
Re: New names 03/03/2004 07:52 AM CST
>pet name aint same as real name noone in ya family is named cheese head for real

But one isn't required to supply their 'real' name when they create a character. The name you see on the screen could just be a nickname they go by <shrugs>

~Azimee Ta'Shiza
~Gypsy Songbird
~Tinbird In Training

An in-character look at plat:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/azimee/
Re: New names 03/03/2004 10:00 AM CST
how about "Scout Maulboro"

Not exactly the same spelling as the cig company, but isnt this a game that has quite a few minors playing? Somehow, I dont think that cirgarette companies should be getting the free advertising, especially when I lot of the people reading it are under age 18.

~Broker Teloxius
Re: New names 03/03/2004 12:07 PM CST
>if i cant have fire or blood in my last name when i made mine

Odd...

~Player of Iuna Bloodspirit
Re: New names 03/03/2004 02:45 PM CST
>how about "Scout Maulboro"

I took it to mean malboro. http://ffwa.org/ff8/images-2/molbor.jpg

Steel.

YOU HAVE <insert ability here>!! YOU ARE OVERPOWERED!! DIE GUILD DIE!!!

Now with combat move charts!
http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/steelflash
Re: New names 03/03/2004 05:14 PM CST
<<how about "Scout Maulboro"

<<Not exactly the same spelling as the cig company, but isnt this a game that has quite a few minors playing? Somehow, I dont think that cirgarette companies should be getting the free advertising, especially when I lot of the people reading it are under age 18.

Forget where it was maybe here in VA or when I lived in SC, but there is a land area and river named Marlboro, so one could assume it to be the name of a river...I have yet to see the cheesehead river though.
Re: New names 04/09/2004 07:58 AM CDT
>>The Ranger Jodizzle is one that my friend and I can't stand. He actually came into a room and asked, "Can someone teach me Primizzle Magic Yo?" My friend consistantly tries to find reasons to kill him.<<

I never met the guy nor do i care to but, you know what, if he can keep on RPing that way, then good for him. Way too many people in DR selectivly RP when its convenient for them(merchant alters, GMPCs to get rp awards, etc).
Re: New names 04/09/2004 03:59 PM CDT
>I never met the guy nor do i care to but, you know what, if he can keep on RPing that way, then good for him. Way too many people in DR selectivly RP when its convenient for them(merchant alters, GMPCs to get rp awards, etc).

The thing is not that he can or cannot RP, it is that he uses modern slang or whatever you call it. That is what is wrong with it. I have never heard him use it around me, and I hope he never does.

You are Agonar's Best Friend Raydell D'Rougus, a Human Barbarian.
> ask agonar about best friend
Agonar glares at you, "I do not have time for idle chatter or nonsense. Make sense or begone!"
>You say, "Somethin' wrong here..."
Re: New names 04/09/2004 04:18 PM CDT
>>if he can keep on RPing that way, then good for him

I sincerely hope you're kidding. If anyone can honestly think using modern American street slang is a form of RP'ing, then it's no wonder the game is sliding downhill.

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
"Call me Snake."
Re: New names 04/09/2004 10:53 PM CDT
people in this game use all different type of accents if you haven't noticed, from british(i have heard some really bad cockney ::shudders::), irish, scottish, french, and some even RP to have a speech impediment.
Re: New names 04/10/2004 03:41 AM CDT
>>people in this game use all different type of accents if you haven't noticed, from british(i have heard some really bad cockney ::shudders::), irish, scottish, french, and some even RP to have a speech impediment.

Because in all of the cases you listed, the player is usually attempting (albeit in a sad way, at times) to imitate what they feel to be a "medieval-sounding" accent.

There is no way you can equate "primizzle magic yo" to anything anywhere near such an imitation. It is modern American street slang, and the player is either a snert or very lazy. Like I said, if you feel that is actually roleplaying, then that says a lot about you and we can just put you on the same list.

Perhaps if this were a roleplaying game taking place on modern-day streets somewhere in the U.S. that would be copacetic. Not in a fantasy roleplaying game, it's just plain jarring.

~~~Krin
"Call me Snake."
Re: New names 04/10/2004 09:37 AM CDT
>>There is no way you can equate "primizzle magic yo" to anything anywhere near such an imitation. It is modern American street slang, and the player is either a snert or very lazy. Like I said, if you feel that is actually roleplaying, then that says a lot about you and we can just put you on the same list.<<

you know is this different when most of the people who play DR will refer to things as boxies, swampies, rockies, gobbies? they do this blantantly on the gweth, in public and yelling it. god only knows how this annoys the hell out of me adding an "ies" suffix to to every single thing. but thats how they want to talk.

look if he doesn't break his "IC" mode, thats fine. i don't see how its bad RPing or thats he's a snert because he talks funny. If you want to know why he does it, find out the guy behind the person, maybe its to be cute or maybe to raise some eyebrows. you can always his he is crazy because no way a "medieval" person would sound like that.

lastly, i could care less what you think or feel about me, you're entitled to your own opinion and to me my own.
Re: New names 04/10/2004 03:03 PM CDT
>you know is this different when most of the people who play DR will refer to things as boxies, swampies, rockies, gobbies? they do this blantantly on the gweth, in public and yelling it. god only knows how this annoys the hell out of me adding an "ies" suffix to to every single thing. but thats how they want to talk.

There's a big difference between bringing modern American street slang into the game and using what is, literally, IC slang.

Sgt. Qreyq
Baron's Own Militia

Come to the Packhouse!
http://packhouse.home.comcast.net----
Re: New names 04/10/2004 04:17 PM CDT
>>you know is this different when most of the people who play DR will refer to things as boxies, swampies, rockies, gobbies? they do this blantantly on the gweth, in public and yelling it. god only knows how this annoys the hell out of me adding an "ies" suffix to to every single thing. but thats how they want to talk.

No diffferent, I hate that too. That goes in the same pile as all the huggysmoochy garbage. Adding -ies to every freakin word is meant to be some sort of cute 6-year-old speech and I loathe it equally.

>>i don't see how its bad RPing or thats he's a snert because he talks funny

Talking funny, no. Talking in a way that directly relates to an OOC and OOG (out of genre) method of speech that is jarring to the RP environment, yes.

>>If you want to know why he does it, find out the guy behind the person

I don't really care to know. All I need to know is that if they gave a damn about the RP environment, they would KNOW such a thing would be likely to cause problems and don't seem to care.

~~~Krin
"Call me Snake."
Prev_page Previous 1