Prev_page Previous 1
Cards 08/31/2003 03:42 PM CDT
Heh. I had an interesting conversation with Solomon earlier on the posts regarding cards, and he made me realize that my image of Elanthia isn't what everyone else's is.

I think that everyone needs to make that realization as well. The cards are not strictly speaking out of character. Would I prefer them to be removed and buried with an oak stake in it's heart..yes, Will I lose any sleep over it..no. Relax guys, complain about foraging, least thats something worthy of rolaid use! (cackles)

In all seriousness, my point is that I think that everyone needs to relax. Some of the changes recently are being construed as negative, but if you take a step back from the parts that irk you, you'll see there is a rhyme and reason to it all.

Do that and you'll see that it causes much lower blood pressure test result scores, though on a negative note, too much good thought will ruin my nightly entertainment when I read the bicker-posts.

Besides, being the capitalist that I am was just realizing something interesting about this card system... ::whistles::

Elriic Melnebone

~For the Balance!

~I have returned!
Re: Cards 08/31/2003 04:25 PM CDT
I'd just like to say I think this Card System is a great, fun little thing. It's new, it's different. It's good to see innovative simple things coming out.

I find the "OMG THESE CARDS ARE OOC!!!" arguments to be completely ludicrous. Whatever the GM's deem IC, i.e. anything that gets past Q.C. that we see -- is I.C.

A giant hulking gyrocopter could soar into TGS right now, running on lamp oil gasoline. And it would be none the less IC for it, assuming it had a reason to be there.

The cards aren't OOC, how could they be? They're little pieces of paper with pictures or depictions on them. I'd have preferred it if there had been an IC explanation -- like some mad gnomish painter or something had his caravan robbed of his precious collectables or something (and hey, maybe that DID happen -- there is that almost empty caravan on the strand now)...

But the cards themselves are not OOC.

Meanne found her first card -- a Guildmaster MacFrae card, picked it up, turned it in her hands, examined the artwork, and said "What in the world is this? I've never seen something like THIS before! How neat." And she stowed it away. A couple hours later, when she found a "Famous Faces Bembo" card there was a similar reaction.

If the GM's want to introduce new and innovative things into the treasure system -- more power to them. Why must everything, even a simple, fun thing, be met with so much resistance?

~/\/\eanne~

This is the dead land
This is cactus land
Here the stone images
Are raised, here they receive
The supplication of a dead man's hand
Under the twinkle of a fading star.

IM me @: BlackfireMagess
Cards, a few suggestions 09/01/2003 05:17 AM CDT
Greetings GM's.

Okay, here are some suggestions for future card sets (since I hope that you won't just settle down for a single set of 150 cards, right???):
- critters: name, description, approximate level of difficulty, places to find them, attacks, basically everything the bestiary has (there could even be 2 or 3 sets given the great numbers of critters in Elanthia)
- armors: name, description, category, where to find them, how they're made (don't limit that to body armors, but include all accessories... should be up to 150 no prob)
- weapons: same as armors
- magical items: name, description, uses, when introduced (Fests, Quests), charges
- spells: name, description, picture of the spell in action, which Guild has it, requirements
- history: date, description of the great event, how it fits in the time line (basically using the time lines which were released some months ago - that could even be 2 sets given how huge and detailled the time lines were)
- healing regents: name, what it heals, where to find it, how hard is it to find it, time of the year to find it
- forageables: same as healing regents, just for others forageables (grass, sticks, rocks, what have you)

Now, I would also suggest another use for these cards. I would find very interesting to be able to study each card (and learn some Scholarship from it), and that each card would give us a temporary boost to learn the appropriate skill related to the card (a la textbooks).

For instance, you would have temporary boosts like this:
- a scimitar card: ME boost
- a visored helm card: HP boost
- a Adan'f Warrior card: bonus to attack against Adan'f Warriors (or to better defend oneself from their attacks)
- a jadice flower card: a boost to Foraging which would only apply when trying to forage for jadice flower
- a fire rain card: a boost to cast fire rain

Fafrahd the Slinger, a.k.a. the Lore Boy

PS: Of course, don't forget the very specific Sling card set, with all Slings ever introduced and all possible Sling ammunitions. Should be up around 100 cards I think.

"When what you want to acquire is a piece of the experience system, I want as much out of your previously-acquired experience system booty in return for that as I can possibly get." - Maelona
Re: Cards, a few suggestions 09/01/2003 01:30 PM CDT
I liked this idea for the additional cards. I'm not planning on collecting any of the current ones, just doesn't fit my character. But if they can be looked at as quick references for things like spells, critters, and stuff then I think it becomes much more interesting.

Perhaps there could be added something besides the case for storing them? Something that works the same but perhaps looks more like a book? Then you just slip your cards into it and have a custom quick-reference book instead of carrying a little box of cards around.

Just my thoughts, since one of my guys has been dying to have some actual books for a long time and would love to have a custom one with info and notes on my armor, god, preferred prey, etc.

Arcelebor
Re: Cards, a few suggestions 09/01/2003 03:20 PM CDT
I was thinking of a few other sorts of cards as well, not necessarily items, but just other people.

Edenlaen, Jourok, Jomay, Mayor Scrimm, Bressail...There are a lot more people that are pretty well known the realms over that could definately be made into cards.

Another thing I'd REALLY like to see, is have the Events GMs from each province name 5-10 people that they feel are famous in their province of the PCs. Most provinces definately have a group of people that are important, either to the government (Rayth, etc) or the economy (Locksmith Union creator?)

Would be a neat and more personal adition.
Re: Cards, a few suggestions 09/01/2003 03:41 PM CDT
Right now I have:

An Immortal Kertigen card, an Immortal Berengaria card, a Guildleader Eamonn card, a Guildleader Gauthus card, a Famous Faces Lanival card, a Famous Faces Emuin Laufi card and a Famous Faces Prayk card.

A bit disappointed they forgot Lissanda....but I thoroughly enjoy the cards.

I'd love it even more if they could form some sort of game with these cards. Something to while away the rainy days. ::grins::

-Kilan

No matter where light goes...it will find darkness has been there first.
Re: Cards, a few suggestions 09/01/2003 04:51 PM CDT
So far I've only been able to find Guildleader Cards. And the first card I ever found was Darius! I find that oddly amusing..

~Fillia, Master of the Cupcake

"...People played games in MUDS; they made up characters for themselves and pretended. Little kids did it, and lonely people." -Idoru
Collectable Cards 09/01/2003 05:16 PM CDT
Our first discussion! Enjoy.
Re: Cards, a few suggestions 09/01/2003 05:17 PM CDT

last three days I have hunted well over 6 hours a day.

net gain on cards has been 10.

my last one found was Darkensi

Now he was a cool cat!

look my card
Predator Darkensi Swiftclaws is as feral as a Prydaen can get. During the Sorrow War, Darkensi was a Lieutenant for Lord Sorrow and led Elpalzi forces as well as S'lai forces against the various races. The only furless person that Darkensi considered an equal and friend was Prayk, and when Prayk and Lord Sorrow died, Darkensi had no reason to remain in the war so he pulled back to the Hub of Sunfall.

Guilty as charged!
Re: Collectable Cards 09/01/2003 05:18 PM CDT
Thanks for the dedicated folder, Cecco!

As far as the cards go, I'm having a blast with them. Thanks for the fun new toy!

Gizella
Re: Cards, a few suggestions 09/01/2003 05:21 PM CDT
Can we get an ammendment to the card that mentions how he ripped my leg off and stuck it in his backpack? ;P

Eldrad

>The Cormyn blinks at the glowing ball and shakes its head.
Re: Collectable Cards - Um.. Cecco 09/01/2003 05:48 PM CDT
The word is: Collectible

"I used to be Snow White...... but I drifted." - Mae West
Re: Cards, a few suggestions 09/01/2003 05:54 PM CDT
<<Famous Faces Emuin Laufi card>>

Kilan, what does that one say? Am curious. <g>

Lyravkla
Re: Cards, a few suggestions 09/01/2003 06:37 PM CDT
>>Another thing I'd REALLY like to see, is have the Events GMs from each province name 5-10 people that they feel are famous in their province of the PCs.

I think this would be pretty cool. Like some for Qi would be Aedem, Allum, Vaerihoop, Kendyll, Dogren, Higgins, Blato, Nellis, Keresyk.... Okay, so there's a lot I could name. But I think this would be a neat idea.

-Barimor

S! S is for swords! Sharp swords! Sharp swords to stab in skulls! HAHAHAHA! WE LOVE S! S IS FOR ALL THE GOOD STUFF! YAY S!
Re: Cards, a few suggestions 09/01/2003 06:53 PM CDT

Emuin, a Human Cleric, had the ability to summon and control the undead. He shared this knowledge with three others and thus caused the desecration of many altars in the provinces of Zoluren and Therengia by a scourge of bony fylgja. He sacrificed himself at Urrem'tier's altar in Zaulfung with hopes that the defilements would stop. He is survived by his brother Esuin, who is the Guildleader in The Crossings Cleric Guild.

-Chris

Re: Collectable Cards - Um.. Cecco 09/02/2003 05:17 AM CDT
I think it can be spelt -ible or -able. At least thats what my dictionary and GuruNet say.

If you have any questions or comments, then please send them to DR-Cecco@play.net.

Cecco
- Message Board Supervisor, DR

De-cloaked. Underwear now safely worn on the inside (118%)
Re: Cards, a few suggestions 09/02/2003 07:17 AM CDT
I can see it now. In the future. At a festival. In the grand tradition of the Darkbox and the choryu cake.

Slender little pouches that contain five random cards with a 1:155 chance of having a super rare, 1:100 chance of a rare, 1:20 chance of an uncommon, etc...

Regards,
KV
(that said, I want a Kssarh card!)

"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat."
Re: Collectable Cards - Um.. Cecco 09/02/2003 12:00 PM CDT
>>The word is: Collectible

dictionary.com is down with both of them. <shrug>

--David (Jolebin Swordstaff, Elemancer of Riverhaven)
Re: Cards, a few suggestions 09/04/2003 09:36 AM CDT
I like Fafrahd's idea for new sets, but rather than see spells and abilities listed with technical data, I'd like to see 'pictures' of what they actually look like being cast. Like scenes maybe of some guildmembers or guildleaders using the spell in a really detailed description.

Throw in Barb Dances, War Stomp, and Roars (Berserk too, of course).
Bardic Enchantes.
More shadow cards (love those) of say a knife just sticking outta some poor guy's back, or a Trader pulling his empty pockets inside out.
Caravans, A Trading booth with a famous Trader and a fleet of happy customers, etc.
Clerical communes
Pallie Glyphs
You get the point... But rather than have it be "This spell does this, and you need this one first" just make it an interesting something to look at... to maybe inspire people who find them to make a character that they've been just mulling over making. I dunno.. I guess I'm rambling. hehe

Faf, I love your other suggestions too! Hope I'm not stepping on your toes with this

~ Aya Davenrae
Re: Cards, a few suggestions 09/04/2003 10:11 AM CDT
Greetings Aya.

>Faf, I love your other suggestions too! Hope I'm not stepping on your toes with this

No worry on that! I'm happy you found them interesting and even happier you're adding to them with your own. That's the way to go in my humble opinion.

Can we have any GM's feedback on such suggestions, please?

Fafrahd the Slinger, a.k.a. the Lore Boy

PS: I'm up to ONLY 16 cards! growls

"When what you want to acquire is a piece of the experience system, I want as much out of your previously-acquired experience system booty in return for that as I can possibly get." - Maelona
Cards 09/05/2003 03:53 PM CDT
Has anyone found #24 an Immortal Murrula card. It's one I really want but can't seem to find. Hoping it's not too rare
Re: Cards 09/05/2003 04:09 PM CDT
I think I have Murulla...
Not certain. If she's evil, though, I'm keeping her. (I'm at work so I can't check)
Anyone found the world dragon yet, other than me?

Jerevth

Into the pit with those bloodthirsty sons of ~Rakash Lasses~
Re: Cards 09/05/2003 04:50 PM CDT
FYI: Murrula is the positive aspect of Faenella.

~Coine

"Walks are therapeutic, especially when taken by people that annoy me." - Coine
Re: Cards 09/05/2003 05:23 PM CDT
<<Anyone found the world dragon yet, other than me?

It was the third card I found.
Re: Cards 09/05/2003 05:24 PM CDT
>Anyone found the world dragon yet, other than me?

>It was the third card I found.

Fourth for me.

~Coine

"Walks are therapeutic, especially when taken by people that annoy me." - Coine
Re: Cards 09/05/2003 07:19 PM CDT
((>Anyone found the world dragon yet, other than me?

>It was the third card I found.

Fourth for me.))
Well... I have Sidhlot and that psycho moonie trapped in the void so nyah.
Sigh
Foils, must find foils.
I'll be entertaining offers for Murrula if I do have her. I'll let ya know in a few hours.
Gods this is a long night.

Jerevth

Re: Cards 09/06/2003 04:30 PM CDT
Nope, no Mrulla

Jerevth

Re: Cards 09/06/2003 06:51 PM CDT
Someone go kill whoever it was at WOTC who decided Foils were a GOOD Ideagrumbles Cant stand em on MTGO(one foil card is over 100$, and its not even GOOD)

David
Re: Cards 09/06/2003 08:38 PM CDT
>>Someone go kill whoever it was at WOTC who decided Foils were a GOOD Ideagrumbles Cant stand em on MTGO(one foil card is over 100$, and its not even GOOD)

Heh. You do know that foils started in some other TCG than M:tG? I was reading an article recently (maybe in the GenCon brochure) that WoTC is now redesigning the M:tG cards so that they would look good as foils...

~Marty, Yu-Gi-Oh TCG player & (sort of) collector

Indigoe's Weapon Compendium: http://members.cox.net/trader-indigoe/weapon.html
Gidske's Armor Guide: http://www.heromachine.com/drealms/
Mac OS X FE: http://home.attbi.com/~fury42/
Smegul's Calculators: http://www.terkowitz.com/
Re: Cards 09/06/2003 10:57 PM CDT
Well that's just sad. Thanks for looking

Nope, no Mrulla

Jerevth

Re: Cards 09/07/2003 12:24 AM CDT
>Someone go kill whoever it was at WOTC who decided Foils were a GOOD Ideagrumbles Cant stand em on MTGO(one foil card is over 100$, and its not even GOOD)

Mmmm. Alpha black lotus....

I had 4 of them. Never actually USED them...but I had them. Wish I hadn't given them away.

-Chris

Re: Cards 09/07/2003 04:46 AM CDT
I still got a buncha magic cards and I never play. mox jet, berserk, lotsa dual lands.

::shrugs:;

Genneron

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"

Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945.
Re: Cards 09/07/2003 04:51 AM CDT
<<I still got a buncha magic cards and I never play. mox jet, berserk, lotsa dual lands.

::shrugs:;

Genneron>>

Likewise, and you could sell the Mox on E-bay for 100 or more easily. Unfortunately, Magic has become an obsession yet again since they have an online version now.

Foils have been a big deal with Online Players, but paper players aint all that high on them. The process they use to make them causes the foil cards to warp over time. I have a couple in RL that are common cards, and have just been sitting around on my dresser, and they've already begun to curl after a couple months.

Really, I think foils in DR is the only beef I have with the cards system. Its somthing different, and enjoyable to people who like collecting things.

David
Re: Cards 09/08/2003 10:22 PM CDT
I'm seeking a foil Lemicus card. Price and/or trade negotiable.

~ Celestian Kougen Aensworth

Koreil says, "Ok, foraging really stinks now. Can I get a heal from a kind empath? Keep getting bitten by fire ants."
Cards and the Gweth 09/20/2003 09:51 AM CDT
Ok, Solomon,

I enjoyed my wonderful exchanges with you when cards first came out. You convinced me they weren't a bad thing, but this is really *getting on my nerves*....

Your mind hears xxxxx thinking, "I got duplicates of 9, 17, 54, 74, 111, 117, 140, and 150 if anyone needs trading..."
Your mind hears xxxxx thinking, "xxxxxx need 114 or 141?"
Your mind hears xxxxx thinking, "Looking for 2 4 28 33 58 62 91 92 93 94 114 128 and 150"

The cards are not ruining the world, its the people trading them that are. Can we get some kind of policy or just remove the bloody numbers, please?

Elriic Melnebone

~For the Balance!

~I have returned!
Re: Cards and the Gweth 09/20/2003 11:51 AM CDT
>The cards are not ruining the world, its the people trading them that are. Can we get some kind of policy or just remove the bloody numbers, please?

What in the world is wrong with saying numbers on the gweth? It's not like it's there is anything OOC about it, you know numbers DID exist in medieval times. I swear people will make up any silly excuse to complain about cards.

Apu
Re: Cards and the Gweth 09/20/2003 12:22 PM CDT
You'd rather people scroll the gweth 6 or 7 lines at a time by writing the full name of the cards out?

-Syralon
Cleric of Ushnish
"Remember, DR is all about fantasy. Many people invest themselves in their heroic fantasy; they're absolutely aghast when people don't leap to help them. After all, they're the hero." - Larcus' Player
Re: Cards and the Gweth 09/20/2003 12:24 PM CDT
<<What in the world is wrong with saying numbers on the gweth? It's not like it's there is anything OOC about it, you know numbers DID exist in medieval times. I swear people will make up any silly excuse to complain about cards.

Since the gweth is nothing more than a chat room I don't see why someone would have a problem with the conversations.

Sylvado

"It's better to burnout than fade away"
Re: Cards and the Gweth 09/20/2003 12:38 PM CDT
One would hope that the Gweths would be more than just a chat room, but unfortunately that is all they are. I however do scroll the gweth with the full card name, because I dont like using the numbers. Numbered cards are too modern for me.

Act like someone is watching....they probably are.
Re: Cards and the Gweth 09/20/2003 12:44 PM CDT
If you don't like it, there are two things you can do.

1) Remove your gwethdesuan.

2) Move somewhere else.

~Fillia, Master of the Cupcake

"Muhyoujou na itoshii hito yo
Doukamada kuruwazu ni ite ne" -Kirito
Prev_page Previous 1