d) no celpeze on that list?

e) get back to paladin stuff!

Death Dealer Adakin of Prime
WorldsBestMagic Kastr of TF

"The Key To Immortality Is Living A Life Worth Remembering."

"Killing Time Murders Opportunities."
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 10:02 AM CDT
Woah, good deal. Thanks Dart.

"I am well versed in being a Warrior Mage. Cast Thunderclap. Throw weapon. If miss, report the target for cheating."
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 10:37 AM CDT
f) I don't see moneygrubbers/tightwads on that list. It's my understanding that they were using the proper mechanics to do their coin stun attack. And yet they were hitting me with 930 evasion and 99 reflex stanced 100% to evasion with minimal burden and armor hinderance. Is it intended that this attack is essentially impossible to dodge? And if this is an example of a special attack working correctly... hunting just got a whole lot more interesting.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 10:45 AM CDT
>>f) I don't see moneygrubbers/tightwads on that list.

I think that was evil traders
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 10:47 AM CDT
>I think that was evil traders

Missed that, thanks.

>describe boar
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 11:05 AM CDT
Sun Vultures could use a look.

Tachid smugly exclaims, "Die midget!"
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 11:42 AM CDT
>Sun Vultures could use a look.

Heh.

>describe boar
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 12:13 PM CDT
You may have overtweaked vipers.

Using 182 ranks of Evasion (no Shield) and 46 Reflex I'm back to getting these:

A giant thicket viper hisses and spits a stream of venom at your face with amazing accuracy! You twist out of harm's way as the viper's poison splatters off of your balaclava!
[You're nimbly balanced with no advantage.]

This changes vipers from a 140-200ish hunting area to a 170-200ish hunting area for all practical purposes.

This creates another very large gap in creature progression in and around Zoluren.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 12:28 PM CDT
The vipers are just trying to tell you to train shield.

~ Purehand

>collect coin
You manage to collect a pile of coin.
Roundtime: 30 sec.

... Jackpot.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 12:50 PM CDT
Also depends on how many where on you. You could have been suffering a MO penalty. I trained vipers into the 200 skill range with ease and moved right to leucros. as for the their venom attack, I was still getting hit with over 200 evasion while in a evasion/parry stance. With shield I was able to block it every time, regardless of the number on me.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 01:01 PM CDT
Dart,

You might want to have this added to the in game news for people who don't check the boards regularly.

Kali
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 01:23 PM CDT
I suppose you've all missed the point. Vipers no longer teach me Evasion. Or MO. Or Shield. Or TM. Or really anything that I'm not backtraining.

Yet their special attack can still kill me. That's a problem.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 01:26 PM CDT
>>I suppose you've all missed the point. Vipers no longer teach me Evasion. Or MO. Or Shield. Or TM. Or really anything that I'm not backtraining.
>>Yet their special attack can still kill me. That's a problem.

I think you have the wrong person who missed the point. Allow me to point out your problem:

>>Using 182 ranks of Evasion (no Shield) and 46 Reflex I'm back to getting these

There are plenty of creatures in that range. Sometimes you have to move out of the province you're in. Better get used to it now.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 01:32 PM CDT
I think most special attacks have a specific defense that is best used against them. In the case of vipers it's shield. In the case of dobeks, seems to be parry. If you don't/can't/won't adapt to that, it ends up not being a great hunting area for you.

From your pasted attack, though...that was not a damaging hit. You evaded some and your armor took the hit. Maybe I'm missing something, but that didn't look deadly to me.

Also, at the point that they stop teaching, you really should be able to move in to leucros. The gen there is slow enough that you should be able to spend some time with one or two without worrying too much about frequent swarms.

~Kattena

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 01:35 PM CDT
2-defense game, this shouldn't take any explaining.

"I am well versed in being a Warrior Mage. Cast Thunderclap. Throw weapon. If miss, report the target for cheating."
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 01:35 PM CDT
>>I think you have the wrong person who missed the point. There are plenty of creatures in that range. Sometimes you have to move out of the province you're in. Better get used to it now.

I could, but the problem doesn't just apply to just me, on this character, at this particular juncture in time. I can easily go elsewhere and train. But there are almost no hunting areas in that range where you can train through. Small peccs in Lang is okay, but if you end up with a few swamp trolls you're going to struggle a bit compared to a few peccs, which are a breeze.

It doesn't make hunting "more interesting," it makes it more irksome. If I want interesting, I will set out to severely overhunt.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 01:40 PM CDT
>>I could, but the problem doesn't just apply to just me, on this character, at this particular juncture in time. I can easily go elsewhere and train. But there are almost no hunting areas in that range where you can train through. Small peccs in Lang is okay, but if you end up with a few swamp trolls you're going to struggle a bit compared to a few peccs, which are a breeze.

Snow Goblins, Swains, Hatchlings, Peccs, Daytime Barghs, Latami, Heggarangi Boars, Lesser Shadow Hounds, Wormwood Vines,Crossing Thugs all teach in the same general ranks as Vipers, some maybe a little above, some maybe a little below but saying that there's nothing else to hunt is silly and ignorant.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 01:41 PM CDT
I'm sure there's more to that list that I missed as well
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 01:44 PM CDT
>>Snow Goblins, Swains, Hatchlings, Peccs, Daytime Barghs, Latami, Heggarangi Boars, Lesser Shadow Hounds, Wormwood Vines,Crossing Thugs all teach in the same general ranks as Vipers, some maybe a little above, some maybe a little below but saying that there's nothing else to hunt is silly and ignorant.

Each of these has its own issues, of course.

My complaint really stems from the fact that this means that there is a significant overlap between where you can get hit by the viper's poison attack and where they will not be able to physically hit you under normal circumstances.

I happen to feel that is poor design.

I had my evasion set as low as I could and still occasionally parry, for reference, since that is the skill I am backtraining there. Well, that and Brawling.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 01:45 PM CDT
Ug Triple post, sorry folks, I'd like to also point out the 8+ characters I've played in the past 6 years only 1 has ever spent any amount of time in Vipers and that was only because my RL GF hunts there and I was spending time with her.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 01:46 PM CDT
>>Each of these has its own issues, of course.

Every creature in the realms has it's own issues.

>>My complaint really stems from the fact that this means that there is a significant overlap between where you can get hit by the viper's poison attack and where they will not be able to physically hit you under normal circumstances.

>>I happen to feel that is poor design.

>>I had my evasion set as low as I could and still occasionally parry, for reference, since that is the skill I am backtraining there. Well, that and Brawling.

/facedesk
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 01:49 PM CDT
Ok /facedesk isn't really helpful.

So you're telling us that you are not using shield, are just barely on the edge of not learning evasion and on top of that you're stancing down evasion to learn parry. The viper attack is fine, you just don't seem to know how the system works.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 01:53 PM CDT
>>So you're telling us that you are not using shield, are just barely on the edge of not learning evasion and on top of that you're stancing down evasion to learn parry. The viper attack is fine, you just don't seem to know how the system works.

Not at all. Let's try this again:

I have stanced Evasion down to the point where I will occasionally -- once every five attacks or so -- parry an attack so I can keep parry moving.

I would not be learning Evasion in vipers either way. My Evasion, MO and Shield are adequate for red leucros. My parry, however, is not.

Look at it this way: with 182 Evasion, I evade 4/5 physical attacks and am only forced to parry 1/5. I am, however, now relying on my balaclava to protect me from poison over half the time, possibly as much as 3/4 of the time.

Do you not see how that sort of overlap is problematic?
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 01:56 PM CDT
I believe the confusion lies here:

When you had to rely on your balaclava to protect you from the poison, was your evasion still stanced down significantly to force yourself to parry? If you were stanced down in evasion, then you were not dodging with all 182 ranks of your evasion against the special attack, therefore your argument of said special attack being overpowered is incorrect. If you had, however, stanced back to 100% evasion or close to it, and then had to rely on your balaclava to block the poison, then perhaps there's something to look at.

- Fuquois

Board Villainy is a lost art.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 01:57 PM CDT
182 evasion is just barely over what Vipers teach to. When you stance down evasion you're lowering your effective evasion. Add on to that that you can't parry spit, only shield block it, you're giving yourself more of a problem.

It's been explained to you before, you need shield to effectively block viper spit unless you over class them by more than a few ranks in evasion. If you have a problem with it hop on a boat to Aesry and hunt snow goblins. They don't have any special attacks you can complain about.

>>Do you not see how that sort of overlap is problematic?

I think you're the only one that sees a problem
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 01:58 PM CDT
Combat messaging displays which defense did most to block the attack. Evade messaging means you evaded more than you blocked or parried, not necessarily that you evaded the entire attack.

Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 02:01 PM CDT
To clarify, this means that in 1 of every 5 attacks your evasion is blocking less than half the attack, assuming the numbers you gave are accurate.

Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 02:02 PM CDT
>>When you had to rely on your balaclava to protect you from the poison, was your evasion still stanced down significantly to force yourself to parry? If you were stanced down in evasion, then you were not dodging with all 182 ranks of your evasion against the special attack, therefore your argument of said special attack being overpowered is incorrect. If you had, however, stanced back to 100% evasion or close to it, and then had to rely on your balaclava to block the poison, then perhaps there's something to look at.

I was fully using 182 ranks of Evasion before my Parry came into the equation. I didn't bother throwing anything at Shield on the back end because I wouldn't have had enough ranks left over to make a significant dent.

I hadn't bothered to stance back to 100% Evasion or even the cap for vipers (which I'm guessing is around 210 with four on you). I was using enough Evasion that I should be able to expect a similar rate of success on physical defense as I could on special attack defenses.

That difference is troubling, to say the least. I would expect the rate I evade the viper's physical attacks to be directly analogous to the rate at which I evade their special attacks. I'm not sure why any of you consider this unreasonable.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 02:07 PM CDT
<<That difference is troubling, to say the least. I would expect the rate I evade the viper's physical attacks to be directly analogous to the rate at which I evade their special attacks. I'm not sure why any of you consider this unreasonable.>>

Two-defense game. You're using two defenses against the melee attacks, even when you evade (because again, it only shows messaging for the one that blocked most of the incoming attack). When they use an attack that ignores the second defense, you get hit.

If I had to guess I'd say that stancing parry to zero would result in you taking some hits too.

Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 02:09 PM CDT
>>I was fully using 182 ranks of Evasion before my Parry came into the equation. I didn't bother throwing anything at Shield on the back end because I wouldn't have had enough ranks left over to make a significant dent.

You said you were stanced down though, you can't be using all your evasion if your evasion isn't 100%

>>That difference is troubling, to say the least. I would expect the rate I evade the viper's physical attacks to be directly analogous to the rate at which I evade their special attacks. I'm not sure why any of you consider this unreasonable.

If you used shield I doubt you would have any problems at all. The fact is though that you're relying on one defense for it in a two defense game.

The kind of attacks that he was nerfing were the ones like the money grubbers who are around Red Leucro level I believe, maybe a little higher, and were stunning a MM with 99 reflex and 900 evasion.

If a special attack goes a little higher than the cap for the critter, I don't see that as a big deal. If you had more evasion than you do, say 200 or 220 and weren't stancing down it might be more of an issue. If you were using a shield with the ranks you have it might be more of an issue. As it stands though with the information that you've given us all I can say is "You're doin it wrong"
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 02:11 PM CDT
>>I'm not sure why any of you consider this unreasonable.

Because we understand how the system works. Pay attention to what others are posting and you might too.

tl;dr:

Your daily dose of common sense: Don't backtrain parry on ranged using critters.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 02:12 PM CDT
>>Don't backtrain parry on ranged using critters.

Heh, we can probably sum up this entire sub thread with this line right here.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 03:53 PM CDT
>>Do you not see how that sort of overlap is problematic?<<

No. You're done in vipers. Time to move on. Of course the viper spit attack is going to nail you when A.) You stance evasion down, and B.) You try to parry a spitting attack.

Vipers are not designed to teach Parry. Consider it a ranged attack only worse. Imagine yourself holding a sword in your back yard while someone sprays you with a garden hose. Good luck staying dry. Now imagine you have a tower shield and someone turns the hose on you. There's a vast difference there.

Your only options on the spit attack are to block with a shield or dodge using evasion. Parrying a liquid is... futile. There are dozens of creatures in other areas that train shield, parry, evasion, skinning, and whatever else you want to train extremely well. I trained extensively in vipers with several characters, and had to backtrain parry elsewhere.

Good luck. Now, move along, nothing more to see here...

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 04:15 PM CDT
Should probably have a look at malchata again, i only went in for a minute just to test them and it was constant fireballs, sandstorm attacks and the quicksand thing to trap your feet with a few attacks in between. Gets ridiculous with a few of them. http://cl1p.net/malchatar!/

If advice was any good, they wouldn't give it out for free.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 04:52 PM CDT
What was it that shut down the forest bandit area? Didn't they have a special attack or something that was wonky? I would love to see them come out and play.

~ Purehand

>collect coin
You manage to collect a pile of coin.
Roundtime: 30 sec.

... Jackpot.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 07:01 PM CDT
>What was it that shut down the forest bandit area? Didn't they have a special attack or something that was wonky? I would love to see them come out and play.

Yeah. Also, still waiting on phase two of p5.

>describe boar
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 07:21 PM CDT
Most of the people I've talked to today have been noticing that the ruby drops in dobeks are about half of what they normally are, maybe even a little less than half. Is that related to this change? The joke around Ratha is that their special attack was changed to ruby witholding rather than stinging. :D

~Kattena

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 07:56 PM CDT
>Ruby drops in dobeks

I noticed the same thing and was thinking maybe I imagined it. I was so sad about it that I jumped over to Raven's Point and milked the DPs instead. I needs money for the auction!

- Fuquois

Board Villainy is a lost art.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 08:43 PM CDT
Scavenger trolls are now FANTASTIC weapon thieves. They're edging towards the lower end of my range and nailing me with it consistently.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 08:49 PM CDT
> You might want to have this added to the in game news for people who don't check the boards regularly.

I did. News 2 27. Is it not showing up?

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams
Prev_page Previous 1