Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 08:52 PM CDT
> What was it that shut down the forest bandit area? Didn't they have a special attack or something that was wonky? I would love to see them come out and play.

The forest bandits were set up with a lot of spells that were supposed to work with critters...but didn't. In fact, they did realllly ugly things. I'll see if I can find a way to make them work again.

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 08:56 PM CDT
Heyo!

These changes should have zero impact on loot drops. With that said, a lot of the critters with custom loot (especially the older ones) used some pretty scary workarounds to override the normal loot and create custom. It's possible that dobeks fall into this category, and in such a way that the special attack fixes messed up the loot...but it's extremely unlikely. Unless someone took the concept of working around normal limitations to new heights. I'll check later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 09:04 PM CDT
> Should probably have a look at malchata again, i only went in for a minute just to test them and it was constant fireballs, sandstorm attacks and the quicksand thing to trap your feet with a few attacks in between.

Yeah, we'll probably have to look at the frequency on some of these, especially critters with multiple specials.

- GM Dartenian

Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 09:09 PM CDT
Heyo!

On the viper issue...

Their attack skill with their spit is pulled directly from their normal attack skill -- in other words, their skill in spitting is exactly the same as their skill in biting. As many people have already said, the real problem is that DR is currently set up with a two-defense model that hinges heavily on Evasion as the first line of defense. If you do not have two active defenses against an attack, you will be at a huge disadvantage. If you drop your evasion for any reason, you are also indirectly dropping all other defenses. In the scenario described, we are looking at a double whammy -- only one line of defense (parry doesn't work against missiles), and Evasion reduced. The spit is probably going to hit unless the effective evasion is well beyond what is needed. Especially if there is significant hindrance and/or encumbrance involved as well.

- GM Dartenian

Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 09:19 PM CDT
Thanks for taking the time to reply to all of the questions, Dart.

~Kattena

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 09:22 PM CDT
> Scavenger trolls are now FANTASTIC weapon thieves. They're edging towards the lower end of my range and nailing me with it consistently.

Just checked on these guys. It looks like they did get a bit of an upgrade in their special attack, although in this case it is because the old one was using information from a buggy source. Their current skill is what was always intended...but more than they were actually getting. I will probably downtweak these guys closer to their old buggy setting in the next batch -- weapon snatching is kinda serious stuff.

- GM Dartenian

Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 10:52 PM CDT
>>weapon snatching is kinda serious stuff<<

And precisely the reason I will never hunt them. There's no need to. Plenty of other critters to hunt that I don't need to worry about losing a forged weapon.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/22/2010 01:17 AM CDT
Sorry, you're right it is in the news. I missed it because an older update about spell casting critters pushed it up.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/22/2010 01:23 AM CDT
> Sorry, you're right it is in the news. I missed it because an older update about spell casting critters pushed it up.

No problem. Worried me there for a second -- wouldn't be the first time I updated a news article and forgot to release it!

- GM Dartenian

Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/22/2010 07:11 AM CDT
<<Wir Alyden>> Aleyden finally got turned into undead?!? Delicious...

Are these found anywhere? Never heard of them..

Rehlyn

You gesture at a gargantuan korograth.
A sheet of slippery rich amber ale-hued ice forms beneath a gargantuan korograth!
The gargantuan korograth refuses to fall.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/22/2010 09:30 AM CDT
>On the viper issue...

>Their attack skill with their spit is pulled directly from their normal attack skill -- in other words, their skill in spitting is exactly the same as their skill in biting.

I've hunted vipers with every character I've ever gotten to those ranks, and it has been a big pain every time. They fit in pretty well in the post-tier 1 snow goblin range, but the problem is that because of their poison, there are only about 20 ranks during which you would be able to hunt them without stepping out to heal your poison every few minutes.

The addition of Vela'tohr bloodvines sort of fills the gap they leave. The bloodvines are a little bit stronger, and have a special attack of their own, but that viper spray is absolutely devastating in terms of hunting. While bypassing parry, it unfailingly targets an important body part, causes long stuns, gives you nerve damage, and knocks you down.

The critter is very cool and it can be a nice hunting spot for the short time you are able to use it, but in my opinion the spit attack is too accurate for how damaging it is--if it was a projectile that did some damage (like the bloodvines' thorn) it would be more reasonable, but as it is, you get hit once or twice and it's time to go home. Could you look at lowering the accuracy or maybe even the strength of their spit?
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/22/2010 09:31 AM CDT
And just to clarify, I have no sympathy for anyone who neglects shield and wanders in there. I'm saying this as an armor tertiary whose shield is one of his highest skills.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/22/2010 09:32 AM CDT
>>Are these found anywhere? Never heard of them..

They're called Maelshyvean hierophants nowadays.

GM Grejuva
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/22/2010 11:01 AM CDT
I believe that Wir Alyden can be found on Aesry, in the same caverns as the Unyns- But in a rather hard-to-reach area thereof. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/23/2010 03:21 PM CDT
>I believe that Wir Alyden can be found on Aesry, in the same caverns as the Unyns- But in a rather hard-to-reach area thereof. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :)

I think you're thinking of Elba Darvagers.

Artificer Nilassa
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/23/2010 03:31 PM CDT
You're right. But I could swear that there is an area with the Alydens too.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/23/2010 04:04 PM CDT
There are wir dinego out there

Segmere
Shadow Priest, Baron's Own Militia

"The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep." ~WC Fields
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/24/2010 11:05 PM CDT
>They used to drop rubies on successful skin but that isn't the case after change.

I hope you realize that was a bug.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/24/2010 11:43 PM CDT
Not who you were asking but for the record, I realize that was a bug, but that isn't all that's gone at this point. The occasional ruby dropping on successful skins didn't account for 80-90% of the rubies found.

If this change is intended, that's fine (sort of), but it would be nice to know about it.

One of the people who assisted was told that there had been a change made to the gem system in the past week or so. Not sure if that's true or related, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

~Kattena

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/29/2010 07:42 AM CDT
Dart, you said that it was possible to avoid the Oshu steam attack, but you would have to be superhuman to do so, as there is only about a 1 sec delay between the steam being emitted and the first damage pulse. I don't think it is physically possible to retreat twice and get out before it pulses.

In fact I had another character stand in the room invis, with the direction already typed in, but even then I wasn't quick enough. Also the steam follows you from room to room, so if you get hit, you can't simply run away to avoid the second pulse, it will follow you:

A nipoh oshu exhales a cloud of roiling steam!
I>sw
Scalding steam swirls over you scalding you horribly!
I>
It's pitch dark and you can't see a thing! different room
I>
Scalding steam swirls over you scalding you painfully!
A roiling steam cloud dissipates away.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/30/2010 05:19 PM CDT
That sounds pretty buggy.

>describe boar
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/30/2010 09:59 PM CDT
Is this supposed to happen?

A giant snow hawk suddenly enters a steep dive headed towards you!

The hawk snags you in its talons and quickly begins climbing back up. Struggling, flailing and kicking you manage to weaken the grasp enough that the hawk drops you back to the branches below.
You fall thrust upon your back! Ouch!

Attack : 100%
Evade : 100%
Parry : 1%
Block : 85%

over 600 each of evasion and shield
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently insignificantly hindered and your stealth is minimally hindered.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/31/2010 03:10 AM CDT
> Is this supposed to happen?

Well, other than the obvious typo, yes.

- GM Dartenian

Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/31/2010 05:50 AM CDT
> Is this supposed to happen?
>>Well, other than the obvious typo, yes.

In my opinion their special attack is still out of line with how high they teach, they weren't moving my evasion much at all. I hate to post such vague observations, but I can't do anything more concrete since they broke my legs with those attacks within 5 minutes.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/31/2010 10:36 AM CDT
Heyo!

The Snow Hawk special attack skill is exactly the same as their weakest normal attack. Your defense skills are not so far above their attack skill range that they aren't going to land a hit now and then.

- GM Dartenian

Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/31/2010 12:58 PM CDT
>The Snow Hawk special attack skill is exactly the same as their weakest normal attack. Your defense skills are not so far above their attack skill range that they aren't going to land a hit now and then.

Yes, but the consequence of a special attack succeeding is completely different from a normal attack. If Hanryu fails to completely dodge and shield block/parry an attack, his armor will likely soak up the majority of the small damage that gets through. I'm guessing he probably uses MAF to soak up additional damage as well. So the result is that he's receiving a lot of brushing/grazing/harmless strikes rather than losing limbs.

A separate issue of special attacks is that no one knows exactly what they contest, which makes it harder to defend against them. Can you parry a snow hawk dive? Does armor help?

I think the bottom line is, it simply isn't good enough to say the numerical power rating of special attack versus a normal attack means the special attack is in-line. This determination can only be made by doing actual testing as well as considering player feedback. I know some players will whine and complain about any convenience, but I hold Hanryu's game mechanics feedback in the highest regard because he has a deep understanding of game mechanics and is a long term player.

I think special attacks make hunting a lot more interesting rather than vanilla hunting ladders like caracals to celpeze (caracals 2.0), etc. But I think it's pretty clear that there was very limited testing involved in the release of so many creature special attacks simultaneously.

>describe boar
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/31/2010 01:50 PM CDT
Further testing on the Oshu steam special attack shows that even using armour with High fire resist and Great fire absorption, the attack will do vit damage but not the wounds. Usually the attack does both vit and covers the body in wounds. Is it intended that the attack will still do damage even with such resists?
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/31/2010 09:36 PM CDT
On the Oshu issue -- the vitality damage will always be there, but the body wounds can be drastically or completely reduced. Standing in a cloud of steam is going to cook you one way or another.

- GM Dartenian

Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 06/03/2010 06:54 AM CDT
>Yes, but the consequence of a special attack succeeding is completely different from a normal attack. If Hanryu fails to completely dodge and shield block/parry an attack, his armor will likely soak up the majority of the small damage that gets through. I'm guessing he probably uses MAF to soak up additional damage as well. So the result is that he's receiving a lot of brushing/grazing/harmless strikes rather than losing limbs.

This times 1000. What makes critter special attacks so annoying is that they are so much more punishing than regular attacks and aren't less accurate. One or the other, please!
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 06/03/2010 01:52 PM CDT
> What makes critter special attacks so annoying is that they are so much more punishing than regular attacks and aren't less accurate.

In a vast majority of cases (including the one under discussion), they are less accurate (or at the very least tied with their least accurate normal attack) unless they are purely a debuff-type attack. This last round of fixes addressed the handful that were more accurate damage dealers.

Not saying that I disagree with the argument that some special attacks are so annoying, but in almost all cases where special attacks use the core special attack utility, the special attack is the least accurate of all their attacks. Just saying.

- GM Dartenian

Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 06/04/2010 05:53 AM CDT
>Not saying that I disagree with the argument that some special attacks are so annoying, but in almost all cases where special attacks use the core special attack utility, the special attack is the least accurate of all their attacks. Just saying.

Ok, that makes sense then. I was worried that you were throwing up your hands and saying, "look guys they're not that accurate."

Unfortunately the only thing I can think of to fix special attacks would be to go through them one by one and manually add a wider range of degrees of success, which is probably the conclusion you guys came to, which is probably why it hasn't already been done.
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 10/26/2011 01:21 PM CDT
<<They're called Maelshyvean hierophants nowadays. - GM Grejuva>>

Replying to an old thread here, but Grejuva you might be the one to ask.

The consensus out here is that heiros don't have their old smoking dart spell they used back during the Verese event. I remember it having kind of a slick looking special effect. Any chance they could get that spell back, just for old times sake?

For that matter, any chance they could get their old name, Wir Alyden, back? I think it sounds much better.

gamgweth for "evil holy man"

My guess is their new lore with maelshyvae has probably replaced their old lore though, so probably this is all wishful thinking.

Kaxis

"First rule of slaying: don't die!" -- Buffy
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 10/26/2011 02:58 PM CDT
>>The consensus out here is that heiros don't have their old smoking dart spell they used back during the Verese event. I remember it having kind of a slick looking special effect. Any chance they could get that spell back, just for old times sake?

I'm afraid I don't see anything like this in their code. It was possibly removed when they changed into hierophants, but if anyone happens to have a messaging snippet, it might help.

GM Grejuva
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 10/26/2011 04:32 PM CDT
Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of it, that was way back in 2001 or so.

I tried looking online, but Smelly Cat doesn't go back that far. I checked DRapostle since I figured they'd been in on any undead invasion back then, but there weren't many logs of combats to be found. I did find a copy of Rock's old resignation letter that Eyoni posted back then though. That brought back memories. Would be nice to have both of them here again.

The only other slim idea I can suggest is Dartenian's post discussing special attack bug fixes. Post #75 in GM announcements here in the critter folders:

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Creatures%20of%20Elanthia/Game%20Master%20and%20Official%20Announcements/view/75

In that post, it's interesting he refers to them as wir alyden instead of hierophants, even though the name wir alyden hadn't been used or heard in many years. Is it possible he was looking at some information somewhere that might be a little more deeply buried than current heiro code? A long shot I admit but all I can come up with.

Other than that, unless the creating GM is still available and saved a backup copy of the file, or some player by the wildest stroke of luck kept a copy of some long-forgotten combat a decade ago, then I guess we toss in the towel.

Kaxis

Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 10/26/2011 05:15 PM CDT
This is probably turning into more trouble than it's worth heh but I enjoy research mysteries and piecing together old information. I'm a boring enough person so that to me this is a fun puzzle.

Something occurred to me after my last post. There was a fairly well-known warrior mage back then named Sadar. He used to archive a lot of obscure information and came up with stuff like properties of magical metals and such things that not many people had saved or knew about.

In a post back then I remember he was bothered that wir alyden were using what appeared to be a type of fire spell, when they were clerical in nature and had nothing to do with warrior mages. It really caught his attention as guild encroachment.

I've not seen Sadar ingame in a long time, but if he still talks to some current players, or maybe plays under a different character now and sees this post, he'd be the only player I can think of who might have a prayer of having saved info on wir alyden attacks.

Kaxis

Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page