Prev_page Previous 1
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/19/2008 02:52 PM CST
I LOVE THIS RELEASE.

Nikpack

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/19/2008 03:01 PM CST
Heyo!

Just an added note: I'll likely be tweaking things as we go along, once the initial impact has been observed. We are starting on the conservative side since we don't want to make areas completely unhuntable.

- GM Dartenian

If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right. - Henry Ford
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/19/2008 03:12 PM CST
<<Just an added note: I'll likely be tweaking things as we go along, once the initial impact has been observed. We are starting on the conservative side since we don't want to make areas completely unhuntable.

As in, the changes won't be as noticeable as i saw in plat?

Though I think this is good. One of the areas I am most concerned about is places where you need to travel through the hunting grounds to get somewhere else and the critters there use ranged weapons, like black goblins in P5.

Nikpack

-Z
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/19/2008 03:15 PM CST
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the bluish-white atik'et supposed to be invasion creatures? Or were they just extremely rare before?

I'm hunting in the 3rd tier Gate of Souls/Fangs of Ushnish/Up the cliff.
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/19/2008 03:25 PM CST
Would be cool to see bluish-white atik'ets up there, since the other ones are kind of tame compared to what else runs around up there.

Rev. Reene

Gylwyn says to you, "Heretics are often the finders of truth."
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/19/2008 03:37 PM CST
>Would be cool to see bluish-white atik'ets up there, since the other ones are kind of tame compared to what else runs around up there.

The only difference I see between the bluish-white and red-gold is that the blues cast Fire Ball also. They seem to be the same skill range.

[The Fangs of Ushnish, Lava Field]
Jagged shards of obsidian thrust up from the parched earth at odd angles, formed by the shifting lava flows. Faint hints of olivine streak the glassy surface. The sharp edges and poisonous green color give rise to the local name for this area, the Fangs of Ushnish. As lava cools, it hardens, only to break out again in another location. The path through the field is never constant as nature's wrath, or that of the god, makes itself known in molten rock. You also see a bluish*-*white scaled atik*'*et, a red*-*gold scaled atik*'*et, a reinforced brass coffer, a tiny fiery fissure and a deeply gouged steel crate.
Obvious paths: north, southeast, southwest, northwest.

>app ati quick

You are certain that the scaled atik'et is healthy.
You think it is likely that it is not quite as agile as you are.
You think it is likely that it is somewhat less quick to react than you are.
You think it is likely that it is about as strong as you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with no weapon and wearing a silver-hued buckler, you are certain that the scaled atik'et is something that*'*d kill you quickly.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with no weapon, you are certain that the scaled atik'et is a difficult opponent.
[Roundtime: 3 seconds]
>
>app second ati quick
You are certain that the scaled atik'et is healthy.
You are confident that it is about as agile as you are.
You are certain that it is about as quick to react as you are.
You are certain that it is about as strong as you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with no weapon and wearing a silver-hued buckler, you are certain that the scaled atik'et is something that*'*d kill you quickly.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with no weapon, you are certain that the scaled atik'et is a difficult opponent.
[Roundtime: 3 seconds]
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/19/2008 03:37 PM CST

>>Heyo!

Just an added note: I'll likely be tweaking things as we go along, once the initial impact has been observed. We are starting on the conservative side since we don't want to make areas completely unhuntable.

- GM Dartenian<<

TBH some areas should be a little unhuntable.. perhaps people wouldnt get mad about it if the reward matched the risk? like have an area like resusitants swarm massivly but if you cull the population down to a certon percent the drops get more rare. its just a thought though was thinking of spicing up hunting when it came to mind.

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.
J. Robert Oppenheimer
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/19/2008 03:39 PM CST
Odd, I seem to recall them being much harder.

Maybe it really was just that long ago.

Rev. Reene

Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/19/2008 04:12 PM CST
Are there any precautions being taken for ranged creatures? I don't want my 30th level Paladin getting demolished everytime he has to run through black goblins on the way to hunt in tresses & bloodvines (the script I run doesn't always save him as it stood before, although it was rare). Thanks!

Speaking of the Vela'tohr area, is there a chance the sickly blightwater nyads will be turned back on anytime soon?

~Thilan
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/19/2008 05:37 PM CST
Just a warning for those who like to hunt up by the cleric guild in P5: when these changes went through in plat, running through goblins became near impossible and basically a suicide mission. Combine instant spawn in the room you happen to be in with their ability to instantly throw their axes at you = 5 or six axes flying at you as soon as you walk into a room = death.

Ways to avoid this are invisiblity, having the skill to avoid their ranged attacks or bypassing the area using ranger trails or moongates.

I'm not sure if this 'quirk' has duplicated itself in Prime since I haven't gone down there to test, but it effectively shut down that area for a lot of people in Plat.

-Evran

"Constitutions are meant to protect minorities -- not to take rights away from people." - Bruce Bastian
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/19/2008 06:38 PM CST
Interesting. I just moved myself into apes and my cleric into dryads 3 days ago. This will make life entertaining anytime I go through black gobs =)
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/19/2008 07:42 PM CST
>>Speaking of the Vela'tohr area, is there a chance the sickly blightwater nyads will be turned back on anytime soon?

Being looked into.

GM Grejuva
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/19/2008 07:59 PM CST
Throw in an extra elder armadillo or two per hunter while you're at it!

(or boost multi-op exp yet again! :-x)

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n142/Sirzason/wmsheet2.jpg

a black panther comes flying into view! it hits the ground, bouncing once before sliding to a stop.
A black panther is stunned!
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/19/2008 07:59 PM CST
Sweetness, thanks.

~Thilan
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/20/2008 01:32 AM CST
For the most part these changes are very welcome.

I do, however, want to add an exception for a specific area to those already posted.

The Death Spirit hunting grounds under the Crossing Moon Mage guild have been drastically changed. DS never used to spawn anywhere in the [The Sewers, Lost Crossing] area and were isolated to the [Old Sewers, -- Counduit] areas. the are above the [Old Sewers] was always a safe haven, for resting and, most importantly, for being able to help out people who have died in the area. Having creatures spawn in the previously safe area is going to make getting a deader out of the area even more insanely hard that it has been prior.

I'm not sure why these changes caused this problem. But I'm guessing that perhaps this area always had DS spawn, but it was just extremely, extremely, almost-non-existantly low.

If this could be looked at I would be greatly appreciated. Turning the spawn off in the upper levels of Lost Crossing would restore the area to it's previous form. I'm just speaking as someone who hunts there, but I also know that this area is involved in a lower level Moon Mage quest. These changes will greatly cripple the ability of players to complete this quest as well.
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/20/2008 01:36 AM CST
> I'm not sure why these changes caused this problem. But I'm guessing that perhaps this area always had DS spawn, but it was just extremely, extremely, almost-non-existantly low.

Thankee. I'll check it out in the morning.

- GM Dartenian

If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right. - Henry Ford
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/20/2008 01:43 AM CST
>> I'm just speaking as someone who hunts there, but I also know that this area is involved in a lower level Moon Mage quest. These changes will greatly cripple the ability of players to complete this quest as well.

Not really, since the quest always required them to go deep into the hunting area.

Not that the rest of your complaint isn't valid, just saying the quest was always dangerous.

Rev. Reene

Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/20/2008 06:27 AM CST
I haven't noticed much, if any change, hunting blade spiders. It still takes me >30 seconds to find a critter after I have killed the one in the room I'm in and finding more than 1 in a room in the lower area is a very rare occurrence. I don't use these guys to specifically train defenses (yet) so less a complaint than an observation. Considering how low they cap MO training on 2 spiders compared to how high they teach defenses/weapons being able to find 3 in a room would be nice eventually.

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
"But I say if you're going going to eat a creature alive, you have to expect some screaming. That is the carnivore's burden."
3/14/0 - 4 days
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/20/2008 06:43 AM CST
Wow this makes hunting in the Velaka Desert sooo much easier. I used to have to run across the whole area before running into one westanuryn. I've yet to see what this has done to the Slavers and thier swarms, they always were a bit harsh in hunting parties of more then one. I'll be testing this out when a few more of the desert rats get their coffee.

~
Raenilar says, "I will deal with the witch in my own good time."
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/20/2008 07:35 AM CST
Any way to look at the overspawning of gryphons?

Gahlron Dragon'Claws
Ranger
Today my wife asked me when I was going to clean the patio. I said "Soon", to which she replied, "Who's version of soon? Yours or mine?
"Simutronics", I replied. I'll be sleeping on the couch for awhile.
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/20/2008 08:10 AM CST
>Any way to look at the overspawning of gryphons?

YOU BITE YOUR TONGUE!

Only issue I see with gryphons is Mature Gryphons are wandering through the Young Gryphon area much much more than they were before.

There was no overspawning before, they spawn X number per hunter (4?). When people are hunting in groups (very common to see people 3 to a room) and every room in the area is taken, there is going to be a whole lot of gryphons.

I like it, don't change anything aside from the Mature Gryphon thing.

Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/20/2008 09:22 AM CST
Seems to have worked well in apes. Went from regularly only having 1 or 2 in room at a time, to regularly having 3 to 4. Yum.

Fix to black goblins seems to have worked too, didn't find any more bodies after that tweak and I didn't have 6 popping in and tossing at me on my runs through.
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/20/2008 11:04 AM CST
On the low end of the critter scale, I definitely like the changes, so far.

Goblins never were hard to come by, but having them actually appear more often in the room I was already in was nice. Grass eels with one person in each of the three rooms was off the chain, stepped into the empty room and BAM, 8 eels come bouncing in immediately. Again, not a critter that was ever hard to come by, but the speed and quantity was even better than before.

Going to check some of my other old favorite low-end spots today that I haven't hunted in a long time because of the sporadic or annoying gen.

Denstimar Dustyfoot
Idon Raider - www.idonraiders.com
"Have you not learned great lessons from those who braced themselves against you, and disputed passage with you?" - Walt Whitman
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/20/2008 06:18 PM CST
<<YOU BITE YOUR TONGUE!
No. I bow to your power that you can handle 11+ gryphons coming at you at one time. Now considering I hunt alone that's overspawning to me. 3 I can handle, not 19.

<<Only issue I see with gryphons is Mature Gryphons are wandering through the Young Gryphon area much much more than they were before.

There's never been much seperation between the young and mature gryphon area like the shalswar area does. There's really no border to stop them from heading into Clouded Arzumos if they really wanted to, but they generally get killed before the first room east of the water

Gahlron Dragon'Claws
Ranger
Today my wife asked me when I was going to clean the patio. I said "Soon", to which she replied, "Who's version of soon? Yours or mine?
"Simutronics", I replied. I'll be sleeping on the couch for awhile.
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/20/2008 06:21 PM CST
Gryphons seem to be around the same gen as before to me.

Jalika

Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Ragran's pockets and carefully grab a platinum.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/20/2008 07:26 PM CST
Having good results hunting Malchata in Shard, which is a 20 room hunting area. Definitely less sparse than it used to be.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/21/2008 07:39 AM CST
>No. I bow to your power that you can handle 11+ gryphons coming at you at one time. Now considering I hunt alone that's overspawning to me. 3 I can handle, not 19.

I can't handle 11 - I can handle 6 max. I hunt alone too, but that has nothing to do with overspawning.

If they spawn 4 per hunter, and there's 7 rooms(?) in the area that are all taken by 1 person each, the area will spawn 28 gryphons. Now if 3 of those rooms have 3 people in them (people hunt in packs there), the area will spawn 52 gryphons. Spread 52 gryphons among 7 rooms and chances are you're going to be getting 7+ gryphons in your room.

It's something I just don't understand about the people who hunt gryphons. I've witnessed this same conversation twice so far...

Person 1 gets raised.

Person 1: Gads, but there are so many gryphons in there! It's out of control!
Person 2: If you're having trouble handling the spawn, you might want to think about hunting with a partner or two.
Person 3: I'll volunteer.
Person 2: I'll go too.
Person 1: That sounds like a good idea. We shouldn't have any problems with the spawn if we're all in there together.

Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/21/2008 08:08 AM CST
I noticed quite a change in spiders once there was another hunter in the area. 3 to 4 per room were easy to find it I waited a bit in a room with 2 up on the cascade.

In merrows on ratha now. These things are almost swarmy! It's to bad that the water in the area ruins it as a hunting ground. Are the dark merrows supposed to be this rare? The place is flooded (haha) with azure and crimson, but a dark is still hard to find.

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
"But I say if you're going going to eat a creature alive, you have to expect some screaming. That is the carnivore's burden."
1/14/0 - 3 days
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/21/2008 08:37 AM CST
Unmmm, how do you get 52?

Nikpack

-Z
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/21/2008 08:43 AM CST
>Unmmm, how do you get 52?

3 rooms with 3 hunters = 9 hunters
4 other rooms with 1 hunter = 4 hunters
9 hunters + 4 hunters = 13 hunters
13 hunters x 4 gryphons per hunter = 52 gryphons

Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/21/2008 12:33 PM CST
I've been away for 2 days and just came back to this... I'm very excited with this change!

So far i dont see a difference with gryphons, except for the matures thing, like Rmel posted. I'm planting my barbarian near the water and i wont let many matures get through, promise ;)
He can handle 10 matures now, for some reason they stopped affecting him with their winds attack. So from a personal perspective, no problem...

From a new hunter's perspective, the matures in the area will raise the minimum skill required to hunt here.

How are adanf warriors and mages behaving with all this? Their area is big and it required roaming to find enough to kill. Is this still the case or can we just stand in one room and wait for them now? Hunting adanf has been a personal dream of mine since like 8 years ago cuz my "big" friends hunted there. I was never able to take a character that far...
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/21/2008 01:18 PM CST
>for some reason they stopped affecting him with their winds attack

Mind posting or emailing me your stats? You can send it to my play.net address.

Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/21/2008 03:26 PM CST
Oh well... i was avoiding them the other day... today im back to falling over... maybe it was luck, or lower burden.

Here are the stats anyway:

Strength : 40 Reflex : 33
Agility : 30 Charisma : 30
Discipline : 30 Wisdom : 30
Intelligence : 30 Stamina : 40

You (solidly balanced) are facing a silver-tipped mature forest gryphon (3) at melee range.
A young forest gryphon (1: solidly balanced) is moving behind you at missile range.
A silver-tipped mature forest gryphon (2: solidly balanced) is flanking you at melee range.
A silver-tipped mature forest gryphon (3: nimbly balanced) is facing you at melee range.
A silver-tipped mature forest gryphon (4: solidly balanced) is behind you at melee range.
A silver-tipped mature forest gryphon (5: off balance) is behind you at melee range.
A silver-tipped mature forest gryphon (6: nimbly balanced) is behind you at melee range.

Yep, didnt dodge a single one today :D
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/21/2008 04:58 PM CST
>>Gryphons seem to be around the same gen as before to me.

The change was mainly to establish an area minimum so that low-gen areas could remain viable when there weren't enough hunters. Pretty sure gryphons don't ever suffer from Not-Enough-Hunters issues, so if the number of characters in an area dictates a gen rate greater than this minimum this area minimum effectively goes away. Ergo, the gen rate looks no different.

Look at the Forest of Night area near Leth. Nyads and Dryads seem to gen at 2-3 per hunter and the area they gen in is easily 25-30 rooms large (though I don't know if they are set in one distinct gen pattern or divided up into smaller ones). That's not really viable at all, but it's decent enough when there's a 6-man hunting party happening in there. If this change dictated a %25 area minimum, that's around 8 or 9 nyads and dryads for one lonely hunter, which is clearly viable.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/21/2008 05:58 PM CST
> The change was mainly to establish an area minimum so that low-gen areas could remain viable when there weren't enough hunters.

What JLo said is pretty much spot on.

The changes are fairly straightforward:

* Hunting areas now have a minimum population based on the size of the area.

* Unless specifically set otherwise, hunting areas now slightly skew the spawn location in favor of rooms with players in them.

Small hunting areas (say, under 10-15 rooms) will see little if any change, since the per player spawn will usually meet or exceed the size-based minimum.

Heavily hunted areas will see little if any change unless also extremely large, since the per player spawn will probably exceed the sized-based minimum if there is more than one player every few 2-3 rooms.

In addition to the above, I made one more minor but significant tweak yesterday. I'll give more information on that one once I've seen the effects and get more feedback on the changes overall. I generally don't like being secretive, but sometimes unbiased feedback works best, and this is one of those changes I know would get some negative feedback based solely on opinion or tests built around proving it how bad it is, rather than actual honest gameplay experience.

- GM Dartenian

Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/22/2008 05:37 AM CST
>What JLo said is pretty much spot on.

You take that back.

~ Sage Kougen Aensworth, Magus of the Compact

Ruea says in Ilithic, "At least you're very handsome. That makes the fact that you're always right far easier to live with"
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/22/2008 07:15 AM CST
I found it so funny, that it's now my signature, of course giving credit where credit is due, it in no way implies that I actually believe the statement.

What JLo said is pretty much spot on.

- GM Dartenian
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/22/2008 07:37 AM CST
Aren't grave worms supposed to gen in the cemetery area outside the Manor? If so, they aren't (nothing is genning there). I'm talking about the area surrounded by the little grave markers in the map picture, not the lower area, there's gen there.

http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/RanikMap63

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
0/14/0 - 2 days
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/22/2008 08:54 AM CST
<<* Unless specifically set otherwise, hunting areas now slightly skew the spawn location in favor of rooms with players in them.>> GM Dartenian

While I'm not fighting in some of the areas that have had gen problems in the past, when this change came out I had some concerns. Right now those concerns seem to be playing out.

As a younger character I was to the point where I could handle a combination of about 3 hounds/reavers. I can go mano y mano with a firesprite and survive.

Unfortunately this change means that the gen rates have gone out of whack for stuff. I went try fire sprites and had a Ranger friend, who fortunately can snap shot kill them, back me up. Within 10 seconds I had 8 firesprites on me. Within 50 seconds I was about to die when he stepped in and started killing them off.

The problem wasn't that there were 8 sprites in the area, which has about 20 rooms(though I don't honestly know how many of those are 'critter' rooms), the problem was that all the sprites in that area genned, almost immediately, in the room I was in.

Honestly I haven't even attempted reavers/hounds since the change because I'm afraid I'll just get clobbered by the insane gen rates dropping critters on me. 8 sprites spread out across even 8-10 rooms, means I can fight one, kill it and move on to the next, or dance with one and wait for another to come in, if there are 8 around in an 8-10 or even a 20 room area, it won't take long to find 2 together.

What I fear is that I am now consigned to hunting critters below my level and milking them as long as I possibly can just because the next level critter swarms too badly to ease into them, when I could normally handle a 1 on 1 or even 2 on 1 fight.

- Beau player of Froent, Dwarven Paladin
Re: Critter Gen Rate Updates 11/22/2008 09:37 AM CST
Flaneur,

What you have to realize too is that both of you there caused more to spawn as well try having your friend wait outside the area completely and go in there by yourself and see if its better.
Prev_page Previous 1