Prev_page Previous 1
F2P Hunting 03/20/2015 09:43 PM CDT
So been testing out Zoluren only hunting with a F2P barb and was wondering what a player's solution would be around 70ish ranks. Blood wolves out the west gate pretty much cap in the low 70's and have difficulties defending against one bear at melee let alone all the others that wander in. Snowbeasts likewise have the same issue.

The new hunting at Sunfall doesn't teach nearly as high as reported on e-pedia. The buccas are pretty accurate but the vipers teach much lower.

Other places I've looked were one wolves near Leth but they cap around the same level as blood wolves so that's out. Lower tier fire sprites weren't teaching well I think plus that area seems impossible to hunt in anyway. Was there for about three mins and got knocked into a recovery room or something. The other fire sprite area was almost doable but 3.0 fire shards from the maidens do about 5-7% vitality per shard and they launch two of them each time.

So I guess unless I'm missing some other place actual hunting in Zoluren hits a wall after blood wolves for F2P players without a babysitter or they're taught all the way until they can handle silver bears or snowbeasts.
Re: F2P Hunting 03/20/2015 10:25 PM CDT

Have you tried reavers or fire sprites on the NTR, or bone wolves south of leth?
Re: F2P Hunting 03/20/2015 10:45 PM CDT
Maybe try grave worms (can't remember how their skill range turned out) but bone wolves probably won't do the trick. That's a rough range for hunting in Zoluren. If you could use magic you could pick up lay ward or e shield to protect against fire shard but there's not much in the way of hunting options.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: F2P Hunting 03/20/2015 11:30 PM CDT
Yeah, seems like grave worms are listed at 90-120 on e-pedia...which seems pretty accurate cause my barbarian was having a lot of trouble hitting one and the situation wasn't mutual. Not going to say this isn't doable to bridge that gap in Zoluren without being forced to resort to a pass...just that it definitely feels that way.
Re: F2P Hunting 03/21/2015 05:16 AM CDT
Give rock trolls in Kaerna a try. 70s is perfect for them.
Re: F2P Hunting 03/21/2015 10:26 AM CDT
I think rock trolls are not as hard anymore/don't train as long anymore. Perhaps it's a 3.1 adjustment. After killing quite a few:

Chain Armor: 69 35.02% dabbling (1/34)
Re: F2P Hunting 03/21/2015 10:35 AM CDT
If these other suggestions are still not quite right I would suggest snowbeasts, way down there before you reach the Gondola. Thankfully it's still technically Zoluren, and you don't need a passport to get there.

As per Elanthipedia: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Snowbeast:

Cleric. 20 in stats. Centering, minor physical protection, and major physical protection up. Forged chain
Could handle 3 with 73 in parry/evasion/shield/armor/defending. 4th would lead to injuries stacking up.
Can handle 4 with 80 in parry/shield/evasion/armor/defending. With a few hits here and there. Training very well
Weapons are teaching well in the 70s. Debilitation teaching ok in the 90s. TM teaching ok in the 90s
Can skin, but not arrange with 65 skinning 100%.
WM, 27 Agi, 22 Ref:
Weapons soft cap @ 100-110 (secondary). TM/Debilitation soft cap at 100 (primary). Defenses still teaching reasonably well @ 100+.

Given your data, it does sound like one more creature spanning the 70-90 range in Zoluren would be useful.

Nikpack
Re: F2P Hunting 03/21/2015 10:35 AM CDT
Incidentally, I got horribly stunlocked in the tar pit area. I didn't realize the tar had stunning poison, and was stuck prone/stunned for several minutes before I finally was able to flee. So it's really really good for me that my defenses are so high they don't train 'em, I guess.
Re: F2P Hunting 03/21/2015 10:38 AM CDT
In the original post, he stated that snowbeasts are too hard. I'm having the exact same difficulty. Probably will try snowbeasts and just duck out every ten minutes to heal up. Not ideal, we could definitely use something for that gap in Zoluren.
Re: F2P Hunting 03/21/2015 11:48 AM CDT
I tested snowbeasts and, well, they would probably teach fine if three of them at once didn't tear me to pieces. Back to blood wolves, which are not ideal either (can't lock defenses, and wandering bears make that area exceptionally painful at times), but they definitely teach better than rock trolls.
Re: F2P Hunting 03/21/2015 02:08 PM CDT
<<In the original post, he stated that snowbeasts are too hard.

oh good point, l2r Nick

Nikpack
Re: F2P Hunting 03/21/2015 02:09 PM CDT
Yeah, that skill level could definitely use something. If the blood wolves in Crossing taught to the cap that they do in El'Bains this wouldn't be a problem. 3.1 blood wolves there reportedly cap closer to 90 while blood wolves in Crossing cap at 70. Would make the transition to snowbeasts a hundred times smoother. So, shrug.
Re: F2P Hunting 03/21/2015 03:02 PM CDT
I just tested bone wolves south of leth. I had no problem locking at 62.
Re: F2P Hunting 03/21/2015 04:44 PM CDT
<I just tested bone wolves south of leth. I had no problem locking at 62.

I'm having a hard time understanding which part of 70+ is hard to understand at this point.
Re: F2P Hunting 03/21/2015 04:56 PM CDT
>I'm having a hard time understanding which part of 70+ is hard to understand at this point.

I'm having a hard time understanding why people don't just go here at this point....

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Bestiary_level_list

[20:11] Chatter[Arathael] Usually only get skill when it's successful.
[20:13] Chatter[Morpion] Thats why Arathael has 0.00 ranks in Getting Girls
[20:14] Chatter[Arathael] =(
Re: F2P Hunting 03/21/2015 05:01 PM CDT
>>I'm having a hard time understanding why people don't just go here at this point....

In fairness, the bestiary wasn't that great in 2.0 and now it's grossly out of date, hah. Plus, minimums make little sense anyway since most people gave that information while factoring in their own stats/buffs/etc.

Someday I'm hoping the GMs can just tell us what the weapon caps for each critter are (by having the right tools to give that information, if the higher ups clear any NDA matters, etc).

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: F2P Hunting 03/21/2015 05:16 PM CDT
Tried bobcats, but they don't move my lowest defense (69 ranks) and my weapon at 72 doesn't move past dabbling. Definitely easier than blood wolves.
Re: F2P Hunting 03/21/2015 05:38 PM CDT
Info might be a little off, but options are listed to go PAFO.

Re: F2P Hunting 03/21/2015 05:50 PM CDT
There's really nothing on that list that hasn't already been exhausted and already discussed in the previous posts. So the PAFO part has been done. Just reporting the results at that skill level as it pertains to only hunting in Zoluren for the F2P.
Re: F2P Hunting 03/21/2015 06:02 PM CDT

> I'm having a hard time understanding which part of 70+ is hard to understand at this point.

Here's a crazy idea. Why don't you try it rather than getting mad at people trying to help you.
Re: F2P Hunting 03/21/2015 06:06 PM CDT
>>Here's a crazy idea. Why don't you try it rather than getting mad at people trying to help you.

Well to be fair, listing something that soft caps at 70 because it still teaches you at 62 when he said his skills are in the 70s isn't really technically helping.
Re: F2P Hunting 03/21/2015 06:25 PM CDT
<<Plus, minimums make little sense anyway since most people gave that information while factoring in their own stats/buffs/etc.

Most minimum caps on the critters are pretty close to what is needed, although sub-100 this does tend to be a bit more skewed than at higher ranks because of how small the ranges are and how much of an effect a stat buff will have relative to the size of your typical stats at that rank.

Max caps are typically what is incredibly off. The new copperhead vipers are probably just listed at the same ranks as sand sprites are because that is what DR-Naohhi told us they were, and the sprites haven't had their map cap adjusted since 3.0 hit. I think that sand sprites are about 60-75 or so now.

Anyways, here is the bestiary query output for creatures with a min cap of >60 and max cap of <200 nearby Zoluren:
http://tinypic.com/r/2mgvb7q/8

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: F2P Hunting 03/21/2015 06:25 PM CDT

> Well to be fair, listing something that soft caps at 70 because it still teaches you at 62 when he said his skills are in the 70s isn't really technically helping.

It's listed as soft-capping, but I'm not sure if that's accurate. It's a two minute trip to leth to try it out. That's less time than has been spent complaining about people's suggestions on the forum. Either way, he's saying that he can't learn. It seems that he can. It's not optimal, but he can.
Re: F2P Hunting 03/21/2015 06:38 PM CDT
>It's listed as soft-capping, but I'm not sure if that's accurate. It's a two minute trip to leth to try it out. That's less time than has been spent complaining about people's suggestions on the forum. Either way, he's saying that he can't learn. It seems that he can. It's not optimal, but he can.

Every place that I've mentioned in the OP that says I looked at means that I've actually gone there and attempted hunting against it. Which includes bone wolves not moving weapons and barely moving defenses.

Anyway, information has been included and this is getting less than productive so I'm out. Main suggestion is that Crossing blood wolves should teach up to the cap of their El Bains counterparts and that'd solve a lot of problems with transitioning.
Re: F2P Hunting 03/21/2015 06:40 PM CDT
>>Teveshszat: Someday I'm hoping the GMs can just tell us what the weapon caps for each critter are (by having the right tools to give that information, if the higher ups clear any NDA matters, etc).

Same. I'm even willing to do the grunt work of putting the information on the wiki.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: F2P Hunting 03/21/2015 06:46 PM CDT
>>Most minimum caps on the critters are pretty close to what is needed

At least in 2.0, I came across lots of critters in the bestiary that felt off, probably because I was playing a Necro who didn't buff up as opposed to a combat heavy barbarian or something.

If I know what the critter's cap is, I feel I can better project when I should be hunting something, especially with the way the caps in 3.0 cut off a lot closer to the difficulty cap.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: F2P Hunting ::nudge:: 03/21/2015 10:17 PM CDT
Knock off the snark and get back on topic.

If you have a question about the forums, please email me or Senior Board Moderator Helje at DR-Helje@play.net or Message Board Supervisor, Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net .
Re: F2P Hunting 03/22/2015 05:22 AM CDT
> Main suggestion is that Crossing blood wolves should teach up to the cap of their El Bains counterparts and that'd solve a lot of problems with transitioning.

This exactly. Is there a reason blood wolves don't teach as long in Crossing? It's oddly punitive.

Incidentally, I can't move any defenses or offenses above dabbling at 72 ranks. At 71 it took a very long time, and at 72 the only time they go higher is when a bear comes in (and they're still too hard to fight). Tried snowbeasts again, got thrashed again.
Re: F2P Hunting 03/22/2015 06:45 AM CDT
>>This exactly. Is there a reason blood wolves don't teach as long in Crossing? It's oddly punitive.

They are two different skill tiers. Crossing wolves teach from around 60-70 and the Theren wolves teach from 70-85. It's nothing punitive, they just aren't carbon copies of each other.

>>Incidentally, I can't move any defenses or offenses above dabbling at 72 ranks. At 71 it took a very long time, and at 72 the only time they go higher is when a bear comes in (and they're still too hard to fight). Tried snowbeasts again, got thrashed again.

Have you tried immature firecats? I remember the OP saying they had trouble with sprite/maiden fire shards, but I never had any problem on multiple noobs I took through there.
Re: F2P Hunting 03/22/2015 08:36 AM CDT

Fire Maidens and Cats. Use a shield only, get the ranks you need for snowbeast and move on.
Re: F2P Hunting 03/22/2015 02:18 PM CDT
The fire sprites in Sicle Grove are too easy, perhaps the same difficulty level as the blood wolves, because my skills 72+ never move upward from "dabbling".

The fire sprites that live with young firecats could potentially work, but the young firecats are too plentiful and too hard.

The fire maidens are awful. Like... wow. Just... wow. Maybe if I weren't playing a low circle barbarian, instead had someone with barriers, especially elemental barriers. Because this every half a minute from several maidens:

A fire maiden gestures at you.
The fire maiden winks and points at you.
Several shards of elemental flame fly at you!

The fire shard glances off your shield.
Your nose is singed a bit by the fire shard.
The fire shard glances off your shield.
Your nose is singed a bit by the fire shard.

...yeah, that's about 10% vit. Over. And over. And over. And I didn't stay long enough to truly test, but shield (71 ranks) didn't move past dabbling in the time it took me to get to 65% health.

Ain't ideal.

Also, fyi:
>Fire Maidens and Cats. Use a shield only, get the ranks you need for snowbeast and move on.
You can be stanced evasion/parry now, and if a ranged attack comes your way, parry stance points convert to shield. I was in stance parry there, and clearly I tried to block the shards. They just come too fast, any single one that gets through is too painful, and of course they get two shards each time.
Re: F2P Hunting 03/22/2015 04:13 PM CDT
It's not a 1:1 conversion of stance points. So you were still operating at a penalty to defense there. Put all your points into shield/evasion and try again. I've taken 2 noobs through there in 3.1 and haven't had that much of a problem. One was a Ranger and the other a Thief.
Re: F2P Hunting 03/22/2015 05:50 PM CDT
I've never heard it's not a 1:1 conversion. There's not much documentation I can find on elanthipedia, but from the combat 3.1 page:

"If parry cannot be applied to an attack, then all stance points in parry will automatically be switched to shield for that attack. Any excess points past 100 shield will be allocated to evasion. This will counteract ranged attacks when training parry, for example. The reverse should also occur against attacks that can be parried but not blocked."

It says "all"--the only caveat is it can't go past 100 shield, of course. Did that change? Is it written up in more detail somewhere?

I went back to fire maidens again anyway to test, and being in shield stance doesn't improve my odds of not getting blasted. I tracked my hits/misses with one maiden for some time and they were the same (14 in shield, 14 in parry). I've tried a few different armor getups now, too, even down to borrowing some 2k+ armor pieces. Sadly, that's not the answer either.
Re: F2P Hunting 03/22/2015 06:06 PM CDT
For spellcasting mobs you really need to be able to cast a tm/magic warding spell to make them viable to hunt.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: F2P Hunting 03/22/2015 06:06 PM CDT
>I've never heard it's not a 1:1 conversion.

Third item:http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Combat%20-%20Weapons%20and%20Armor/General%20Discussions/view/4838
Re: F2P Hunting 03/22/2015 06:11 PM CDT
<<Third item:http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Combat%20-%20Weapons%20and%20Armor/General%20Discussions/view/4838

Post #12 for those using Threaded View.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: F2P Hunting 03/22/2015 06:15 PM CDT
Thanks. Maybe that should be on the stance page on Elanthipedia. It's kind of important. And I don't know how I can spend so much time reading the forums and miss stuff like this... all this time I've assumed it was 1:1 based on the release notes for 3.1.
Re: F2P Hunting 03/26/2015 07:20 PM CDT
Rock trolls south of Shard down the slope (just south of southern gate) are tougher than the rock trolls on the trail. Once you get to 75-80 move to snowbeasts.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!
Re: F2P Hunting 03/26/2015 07:37 PM CDT
>Rock trolls south of Shard

Think they only want Zoluren critters since can't go to other provinces without paying.

Re: F2P Hunting 03/26/2015 08:48 PM CDT

> Rock trolls south of Shard down the slope (just south of southern gate) are tougher than the rock trolls on the trail. Once you get to 75-80 move to snowbeasts.

I think the point was F2P accounts won't have access to shard or the surrounding areas.

FYI: My little cleric was able to move directly to snowbeasts from bone wolves. Bone wolves brought me to ~71 while getting armors up to the 60s. I can stand toe to toe with one out of the gate. Two becomes a problem, but doable with debilitators. I'll flee at three. Not the easiest ladder to climb, but definitely doable solo.
Prev_page Previous 1