Forest geni spawn 02/09/2016 10:31 AM CST
These spawn a more than adequate total number, but the way they spawn can lead to very dry patches since they don't appear to move around. Sometimes it's good, but sometimes they spawn about 10 to 15 at a time each in their own individual room but don't leave it, and all of them despawn a short while later. This can be seen with HUNT, and subjectively seems to be more typical when there are other hunters in the area although it's not a requirement. A very common occurrence is the following situation:

> hunt
[combat]: circle
You take note of all the tracks in the area, so that you can hunt anything nearby down.

To the east:
1) a forest geni

To the southwest:
2) a forest geni

To the southwest, west:
3) a forest geni

To the southeast, southwest, southwest:
4) a forest geni

To the south, southwest, southwest:
5) a forest geni

To the southeast, southeast, south, southeast:
6) a forest geni

To the southeast, southeast, southwest, southwest:
7) a forest geni

To the southeast, south, southwest, southwest:
8) a forest geni

Roundtime: 8 sec.

R> hunt 2
...wait 4 seconds.
R> hunt 2
Your prey seems to have completely vanished.
> hunt
You take note of all the tracks in the area, so that you can hunt anything nearby down.

You were unable to locate any followable tracks.

Roundtime: 8 sec.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Forest geni spawn 02/09/2016 10:44 AM CST
I agree. Couple this with their hatred/priority for leucros and it can make the area feel anemic. Also, you can HUNT and see where they are, but by the time the RT is up and you want to HUNT #, they sometimes poof out of existence.

Of course, if you're a magic user, you don't, necessarily, want to be jumping around rooms anyway.
Re: Forest geni spawn 02/09/2016 10:45 AM CST
If I'm looking to lock up, I start in one corner and run all the way east, drop one south, then run all the way west. I zig zag through the whole place till I've gotten what I need. It's the only feasible way for me to hunt there. You are spot on with your observations though. Just giving my work around.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Forest geni spawn 02/09/2016 11:48 AM CST
I'll add it to my list of areas to check out. It may be that their generators are not spawning near users, which would cause the exact problem you're experiencing.

---
NaOH+HI