Prev_page Previous 1 3
2HE 02/25/2005 03:01 PM CST
A few questions for all you 2HE users out there:

1.) Is it really a viable weapon? I assume so, especially with the arm shields out now.

2.)Are there any special skills/stats to focus on? Parry and evasion; reflex, agi, str? Which should take presidence, especially in terms of starting from circle 0? For a human?

2.) What is a good progression in terms of 2HE weapons, starting at 0 ranks up until expert ranks, etc? Money is of course a factor as are your stats, obviously. Example:
a.)"I would get x weapon when A stat and B stat were at _", or
b.)"Use X weapon when your effective strength is _, and then switch to Y weapon when you get your effective str up to _", or
c.)"By circle you should have enough money to buy a forged with X, Y and Z appraisals", etc.

Thank you!

PS: BTW, funny how that katana with the cambrinth was tuned to Lunar. Moonies ARE the best! (This has nothing to do with anything said above)

> I see dead people...<

Vote for Pedro
Re: 2HE 02/25/2005 04:27 PM CST
I doubt it started out tuned to lunar. I'm not a prime player so I can't say for sure, but I would assume it started untuned, and the fact that it's lunar is due to a moonmage having bought it...
Re: 2HE 02/25/2005 05:45 PM CST
1.) Is it really a viable weapon?

Yes. It does have the pesky lack of ranged defense and the effectiveness in multi situations has been argued a lot, but unarguably viable.

2.)Are there any special skills/stats to focus on? Parry and evasion; reflex, agi, str? Which should take presidence, especially in terms of starting from circle 0? For a human?

No more or less than any other weapon. Parry for weapon defense, evasion for OF decrease. Reflex for defensive skill, strength/agility for weapon RT and power/accuracy (respectively). For a new person, regardless of race, I think the biggest issue for heavy weapons like this is weapon RT, so look into whatever the cheapest way to reduce that is. Also, keep an eye to stamina if you get tired out too much.

3.) What is a good progression in terms of 2HE weapons, starting at 0 ranks up until expert ranks, etc? Money is of course a factor as are your stats, obviously.

Roundtime rules all, so the best weapon to get early on is the ivory-hilted claymore from Therenborough. As soon as financially possible, go to light forged and work up from there with whatever strikes your fancy.

Arcelebor

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
Re: 2HE 02/26/2005 08:41 AM CST
I am 2he primary and love it. The hard hits fill your pool quickly. Investing in a 28 stone bastie is your best start if you have the coin. I started befor forging and went with the swappable axe down shard way. 1 strenght quicker than a bastie. But bastie is best start.

I love greatswords, but 60 is min strenght.. ambush from pole makes hiding fly. Kills quickly, so you have to work on parry. Arm shiels make it sweet.. Skinning and a shield!

Juggernaut Magdar Bluefletch of M'Riss

www.play.net/dr/info/guilds/barb.asp

and I quote:
Weapon Forging
Anyone can forge a crude weapon, but only barbarians can produce legendary quality weapons sought after by all.
2HE Question/Recommendation 06/30/2005 06:42 PM CDT
So, I figure in another month or two of playing my 2HE is gonna overtake my ME so I might as well make it my primary. Because of that, I'm wondering if I should invest in a better weapon. Right now I'm using a 36 stone bastie, with 38 Strength & 32 Agility. I'm guessing I'm getting min RT. Is there a "true" 2he I could move to and still get a low RT with my str & agi? The bastie doesn't seem to hit as hard as I'd like for a 2HE. Any advice appreciated.

Lukrani
Re: 2HE Question/Recommendation 06/30/2005 06:51 PM CDT
You can either get a forged two-handed sword with decent balance or claymore with more power, but personally the balance on bastard swords makes them more desirable. As for the actual stats and weights, I would recommend speaking to Magdar.

Honesty may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy.

-George Carlin
Re: 2HE Question/Recommendation 07/01/2005 05:36 AM CDT
Thanks for the recomendation Rayje. At 36 stones you get a Bone-crushing slice claymore with dismal balance or a fair balanced Two-handedsword with severe slice. HIGH severe slice. Either are good choices. My favorite 2he is the greatsword, but that is a 60 stone minimum weight. I love ambushing from pole! No hiding problems then.

Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss

and I quote:
Weapon Forging
Anyone can forge a crude weapon, but only barbarians can produce legendary quality weapons sought after by all.
Re: 2HE Question/Recommendation 07/01/2005 06:42 AM CDT
Rayje & Magdar, thanks for the suggestions. I guess I'll find someone selling one of those two-handed swords somewhere. Sounds like the best fit for me.

Lukrani
Re: 2HE Question/Recommendation 07/01/2005 10:56 AM CDT
Magdar makes the best 2he so no reason to look for them, just ask.

Vibrato
Re: 2HE Question/Recommendation 07/01/2005 11:54 AM CDT
I love my BC claymore. Since Flavius is strength oriented, the claymores balance works just fine. If I can tag the creature with the claymore it gets hurt.

Flavius
Re: 2HE Question/Recommendation 07/01/2005 12:21 PM CDT
My favorite 2he is the greatsword, but that is a 60 stone minimum weight. I love ambushing from pole! No hiding problems then.

Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss <--

Learn something new every day. I never knew that greatswords could hit from polearm as well. I use a flamberge and part of the reason was the length of weapon because it did allow for this tactic. I assumed greatswords were a foot or so shorter and never tried to wield one in combat, now I feel rather silly. lol.

Hell the first alteration I got at the First Fest was to have my weapon harness made into a flamberge harness, same thing Rhys did at the same fest. :::chuckle::: Ah well I'll still stick to my flamberge, I'm fond of the weapon always have been. More so after seeing a few in museums in Germany. Damn weapon was as tall as me and I'm 6'2" with near a three foot crosspiece damn impressive looking blade.

Jim
Re: 2HE Question/Recommendation 07/01/2005 04:11 PM CDT
Jim, if I could buy that weapons from the german museum, I would. There is a restruant in Milwaukee (or was 8 years ago) that is decorated with a bunch of them. Bought out a small German museum that was going under.

Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss

and I quote:
Weapon Forging
Re: 2HE Question/Recommendation 07/01/2005 07:11 PM CDT
>>I never knew that greatswords could hit from polearm as well.

Most can. All forged ones and any storebought that are 100+ stones hit from pole. You will, however, see some 60 stone merchant/festie/etc. ones like the one sold in the barbarian store that only hit at melee and have the same stats as Crossing two-handed swords.

Auroch clamps his fist around your forearm and hauls you over for a merciless Barbarian greeting. Stifling a grimace, you wonder if you'll ever wield a weapon again.
Re: 2HE Question/Recommendation 07/06/2005 08:17 PM CDT
"Most can. All forged ones and any storebought that are 100+ stones hit from pole. You will, however, see some 60 stone merchant/festie/etc. ones like the one sold in the barbarian store that only hit at melee and have the same stats as Crossing two-handed swords."

Magdar I saw that you said Greatsword can be forged at 60 stones. I'm very interested in that.

I have two questions to Magdar or anyone with an opinion. One

1) Am I nuts to even think of a Greatsword? I'm an Elothian Warrior Mage with 26 str and I will probably only train Strength to around 30 maybe 35. I do love my forged bastie however and love the role play and stategic options of using a Greatsowrd.
2)What kind of stats do you get with a forged Greatsword?

I have a Staff Harness and a belt worn Greatsword sheath both are huge so carring a Greatsword will not be an issue. I admit I always thought the idea of a belt worn greatsword sheath as a bit impossible but I'm not complaining.

Thoraxia

Not young, Not old, just riiiight!
Re: 2HE Question/Recommendation 07/06/2005 08:23 PM CDT
I have a War mage with 36 str 36 agility with min swing on a claymore. It's awsome

Strangeguard Prayermaster

You gesture at a sand sprite.
Its head soars through the air as its neck is entirely destroyed!
A sand sprite slowly falls to the ground, moaning in despair, shuddering in pain before taking her last breath.
Re: 2HE Question/Recommendation 07/07/2005 12:49 AM CDT
>1) Am I nuts to even think of a Greatsword? I'm an Elothian Warrior Mage with 26 str and I will probably only train Strength to around 30 maybe 35. I do love my forged bastie however and love the role play and stategic options of using a Greatsowrd.

If you dont mind the RT, Magdar's greatswords are very good and have decent balance. With 30 strength I think you would be looking at a 6/7 RT but if you are willing to get 35 strength you can get down to 4/6.

Digressions, objections, delight in mockery, carefree mistrust are signs of health; everything unconditional belongs in pathology.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
(Dont feed the pathogens)
Re: 2HE Question/Recommendation 07/07/2005 03:28 PM CDT
<< Am I nuts to even think of a Greatsword?

Absolutely not. A weapon that's more effective in combat will never be as much fun to you as the weapon that makes you go "heck yeah" inside every time you wield it.

Arcelebor

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
Re: 2HE Question/Recommendation 07/07/2005 03:43 PM CDT
>A weapon that's more effective in combat will never be as much fun to you as the weapon that makes you go "heck yeah" inside every time you wield it.

Yup. Just remember, there are folks over in TF who never, ever use a single forged blade ... for 100+ circles. Just not worth it.

Yeah, might take ya a little longer, but hey, ya know, having fun really is what we're all here for, right? So, use what you want and enjoy.

That's why my pallie uses an Aldauth Scythe-blade as his main ME. Nah, its not better or faster or anything than forged, but it looks great. <g>
Re: 2HE Question/Recommendation 07/12/2005 04:06 AM CDT
>>Yup. Just remember, there are folks over in TF who never, ever use a single forged blade ... for 100+ circles. Just not worth it.
>>-SAKHARA

No offense to you, but I get annoyed whenever I see this. I'm sure it's true, but you also have to factor in that they can spend enormous amounts of time doing what we would consider underhunting because they can script through the boring parts. It really isn't the same thing.

Caraamon Majerye,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: 2HE Question/Recommendation 07/12/2005 07:21 AM CDT
The reason people in TF don't use forged blades is because when we die AFK, we lose our weapons. If I could replace a forged broad as easily as I can an Xing broad, you bet I would be using a forged blade. Underhunting/hunting at level has nothing to do with it.

-Vision et al

The shadowling exclaims, "Go me!"
Re: 2HE Question/Recommendation 07/12/2005 08:16 AM CDT
>but I get annoyed whenever I see this.

Why? If you want to do it, go over there and learn how. It doesn't really have all that much to do with underhunting, it has to do with the fact they don't push the systems and actually hunt at level. Fancy that.

DR combat wasn't designed for everyone having minimum round times and minimum weight weapons. (not to mention capped armor) They help tremendously when overhunting, but other than one time when I got my pallie a bit too far behind with his weapons from his armor and all the round times changed, he's never had to have forged weapons.

>doing what we would consider underhunting because they can script through the boring parts.

No, we consider it underhunting because we're constantly pushing the limits of our characters because we are hunting over where we would be by the game engine design. Some of what's amazing about DR and keeps it sane is that it is possible to continually advance without the 'uber sword o' doom'. I have yet to see any game that keeps to this standard and I think its downright wonderful.

I don't want to have to have a ton of real life cash to buy plats to be able to buy weapons I need to circle. I don't want to have to spend months in sandies to be able to buy the armor to survive hatchlings. And yeah, I have one character with thousands of plats worth of specialized equipment. It helps him, yes, but he could have managed with nothing more than store bought armor/shield, too, just slower and I would have had to put more thought into the progression of his training.
Re: 2HE Question/Recommendation 07/17/2005 07:12 PM CDT
>>Yup. Just remember, there are folks over in TF who never, ever use a single forged blade ... for 100+ circles. Just not worth it.
>>-SAKHARA

>No offense to you, but I get annoyed whenever I see this.

For what it's worth, a lot of us in plat don't use forged blades either, or forged armor for that matter :P Not that we wouldn't LIKE to use them, but they're just not very available. It's a bit of a change at first, but once you work down the RT a bit and get rid of the hinderance, it's remarkably similar to playing the game with uber equipment.
2HE roundtime 03/10/2007 09:07 AM CST
I recently circled and was very excited to move my strength enough to drop my RT with my weapons... at least with my bastard sword, 28 stone.

My strength is up to 24 but it didn't drop... did the numbers change?

Ningen banji saiou ga uma
Re: 2HE roundtime 03/10/2007 09:10 AM CST
agility also plays a role.
Re: 2HE roundtime 03/10/2007 09:36 AM CST
Strength 24, Agility 21.

I'm also a S'Kra Mur

Re: 2HE roundtime 03/10/2007 01:08 PM CST
What's the suitedness/balance? Those things also play a role.

http://dr.six-something.org/rt_calc.php is what I use to tell where I'm going to get a RT drop.

-Durnil
Re: 2HE roundtime 03/10/2007 01:36 PM CST
>>What's the suitedness/balance?

No idea, I'll try to get it appraised, thanks!

Re: 2HE roundtime 03/12/2007 12:14 AM CDT
>>What's the suitedness/balance?

Roundtime:
1/2/3 - 3/4 - 4/6 - 6/7
Eff. Strength:
29 -- 24 -- (23)19 -- 14
Effective Strength for this weapon: 23
Stat increases required to lower this weapon's roundtime:
Via Strength Only 26 Strength 21 Agility 123 TDPs
Via Agility Only 24 Strength 23 Agility 129 TDPS
TDP Optimized 26 Strength 21 Agility 123 TDPS

That is what the calculator told me... but what does it mean? heh.

S'kra mur, 24 str, 21 agil, 28 stone bastie, reasonably/fairly

Anyone? :)

Re: 2HE roundtime 03/12/2007 12:25 AM CDT
What it is telling you is that you should be able to decrease the roundtime on that particular weapon to the 3/4 by increasing your strength by 2 points or agility by 2. Being a Mur, it is telling that the cheapest route is through strength (which would cost 123 TDPs).

Fuquois
Re: 2HE roundtime 03/12/2007 09:51 AM CDT
>>What it is telling you is that you should be able to decrease the roundtime on that particular weapon to the 3/4 by increasing your strength by 2 points or agility by 2. Being a Mur, it is telling that the cheapest route is through strength (which would cost 123 TDPs).

Thank you, I didn't understand any of it really.

I understand that that is cheapest, but I'll probably go through agility since my strength is so far ahead of everything else now.

Thanks so much for the help

Re: 2HE roundtime 03/15/2007 11:17 AM CDT
I'm so tired of this... I raised my agility 2 more points once I leveled, and none of my round times have changed...

whatev to damn weapons!

Re: 2HE roundtime 03/15/2007 01:31 PM CDT
Level up and train em again. In time all things will be easy.

Player of Adakin Sothir
Re: 2HE roundtime 03/15/2007 02:56 PM CDT
>I'm so tired of this... I raised my agility 2 more points once I leveled, and none of my round times have changed...

Ninratm, the problem is that entered the weapon values into the calculator backwards, you entered it as reasonably suited and fairly balanced, which throws off the numbers.

Also the calculator doesn't take into account that weapon appraisal values are a range, you can compare two reasonably balanced weapons and see that one is 'somewhat more' or even 'more' balanced than the other, if one of them is higher in the reasonably range than the other. I'm guessing just uses the middle number in the range, this can throw off the number too.

In this case though, I can guarantee that you will have a RT drop on a 28 stone bastard sword if you raise agility one more point, so that you have 24 strength and 24 agility.

Dragoonseal
Re: 2HE roundtime 03/15/2007 03:39 PM CDT
>>In this case though, I can guarantee that you will have a RT drop on a 28 stone bastard sword if you raise agility one more point, so that you have 24 strength and 24 agility.

I freaking hope so, heh.

I was so excited to get my numbers to drop, but it didn't happen yet.

Re: 2HE roundtime 03/19/2007 06:40 PM CDT
24/24 Str/Agil is where I got my 3/4 drop with my 28 stone broadsword.

Player of Gilart
Despite your best efforts, skinning the gargoyle just isn't going to happen this time. Maybe helping little old Halfling widows across a busy Crossing street is more your line of work?
Best Parry 2HE? 03/19/2007 07:46 PM CDT
What would be the best parrying, normal metal, forged 2HE ?
Re: Best Parry 2HE? 03/19/2007 10:59 PM CDT
>What would be the best parrying, normal metal, forged 2HE ?

More weapon balance means it parries better, so the best would be a 28 stone bastard sword ground all the way for balance.

It would be reasonably balanced in both HE and 2HE modes, but on the 2HE side it would be just an inch under well balanced.

Dragoonseal
Re: Best Parry 2HE? 03/19/2007 11:30 PM CDT
Could a saber not be forged with better balance? I find it hard to believe the bastard sword can have both the versatility and the everything-else-better as well.
Re: Best Parry 2HE? 03/20/2007 12:04 AM CDT
>Could a saber not be forged with better balance? I find it hard to believe the bastard sword can have both the versatility and the everything-else-better as well.

A sabre can be made with better balance, they can reach well balanced. They also have much better puncture and minimum roundtimes, and can be as light as 17 stones. Different weapons, different strengths.

Compared to other weapon types in the same classes, bastard swords mostly only excel at their balance and suited totals (with decent slice). If you're willing to give up a little bit of balance, other forged 2HE can have quite superior damage stats. Other forged HE don't hold up as well, the HE side of bastard swords is pretty solid, but they have their strengths as well, from lower weights to greater damage at the expensive of balance.

Dragoonseal
2HE/Containers 03/20/2007 12:26 AM CDT
I just bought a two-handed sword in Crossing and I've discovered it won't fit into my pack.. forcing me to carry it around. Will the scabbard bought in Crossing fit the sword? If not, what will? I don't wanna hafta carry it around like forever.
Prev_page Previous 1 3