1 3 Next Next_page
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/19/2007 10:34 PM CDT
So, apparently, damage caps are storebought level?
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/19/2007 10:43 PM CDT
>So, apparently, damage caps are storebought level?

Pretty much, for most molds.

Why does everyone always think I'm lying about these things until I post proof, even after all these years? It gets old.

Dragoonseal
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/19/2007 10:44 PM CDT
>>Why does everyone always think I'm lying about these things until I post proof, even after all these years? It gets old.

I didn't think you were lying, I just don't recall reading 'damage caps are at storebought levels.'

That really blows if players aren't supposed to make weapons superior to storebought stuff save a little lighter.

Guess all that old fest stuff I have saved up just quadrupled in value.
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/19/2007 11:48 PM CDT
>Why does everyone always think I'm lying about these things until I post proof, even after all these years?

I don't know you from J'Lo. Nothing means anything, no matter who says it, until there is proof behind it.

That said, I can believe your claims now that proof has been posted. That was all I was ever asking for: empirical evidence rather than screams of annihilation.

Fuquois
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/20/2007 05:57 AM CDT
>Discuss.

I think it is pretty pathetic that store bought stats are the cap.

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
Keeper of the CEC
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/20/2007 06:48 AM CDT
Actually, I don't think ti's pathetic, what is pathetic is how for many years people have circumvented training strength because weapons were able to be made so lowly, every stat should have strength and waeknesses whether on players or on items. If you don't train strength then you should be penalized some where, just as if you don't train agi/int or any other stat. You can't expect to have no weaknesses all the time it's not real at all.

Also, how is it that the best npc forgers in the lands that are supposedly known world wide would be making inferior weapons to player made weapons, I actually condone having npc's make the better weapons at the high end but on average that most good players forgers forge better than your local npc forger, that way if you really want a great weapon a player doesn't have to spend few thousand hours trying to come up with the ultimate mix and just go buy it for a high price however, a reasonable one. So that great folk like Mendasity don't have to quit because they felt robbed due to a change in game mechanics. Change is every constant and taking the tow off players and moving it ont npc will help alleviate the discouragement of constantly evolving systems.

Executioner Catullus
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/20/2007 07:40 AM CDT
>>Also, how is it that the best npc forgers in the lands that are supposedly known world wide would be making inferior weapons to player made weapons, I actually condone having npc's make the better weapons at the high end but on average that most good players forgers forge better than your local npc forger,

See, this isn't the way I see it.

The way I see it, local Milgrym's or other NPC weapons (not including weapons from legendary NPC weaponsmiths like Master Bowmaker Renshear) represent your average swords. They are made by experienced and perhaps talented smiths. Milgrym swords are sturdy and dependable; they are the swords that the average NPC soldiers or common mercenaries would use. You could theoretically use that sword your whole career and be fine, because they are very decent swords.

I do not believe, however, that the title of 'Legendary Smith' should be held by some reclusive NPC merchants alone. Players who spend the time/effort to train up the necessary skills should be able to make weapons that are far superior to 'average' weapons in their own right.

That said, I could understand if A) (metal) weapons and armor need to scale better to make "legendary" weapons more rare, which they should be. Everyone and their mother and their granmama and their little doggy has a capped bastie. Maybe the idea is "supposed" to be more like capped bows, where you actually need a hell of a lot of Weapons Rank/Metalsmithing/Whatever to make a capped sword. B) The actual damage cap needs to be lowered a little. This is understandable if that's the case.

Capping the level of allowable player-made damage at store-bought quality, however, just seems silly, so I doubt that's the intentional idea. CONGRATS! WITH HUNDREDS OF HOURS OF EFFORT RAISING SKILLS AND EXPERIMENTING WITH MIXES YOU TOO CAN MAKE THE SAME SWORDS YOU CAN BUY FOR 5 SILVER AT ANY NPC WEAPON MERCHANT!

Someone I just don't think that will be Simu's final design phase for forging 2.0 ;).
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/20/2007 08:31 AM CDT
<<I think it is pretty pathetic that store bought stats are the cap.

To be honest its not worth the time to forge anymore for blades if you can get the same thing store bought.

Drevid
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/20/2007 08:49 AM CDT
As a forger in a previous life, has anyone checked to see how much lower weight can be achieved to get the same or better stats than storebought? If you can't sell on appraisal alone, perhaps weight? I know I'm always in the market for lighter weapons.
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/20/2007 11:13 AM CDT
<<That really blows if players aren't supposed to make weapons superior to storebought stuff save a little lighter.

In reality, that's how it's been the blunt weapons. Your forged mace, flail, war mattock, etc. really had the same impact as a storebought weapon only a little lighter. Best example would be the 40 stone heavy impact horseman's mace, when the lightest heavy impact forged mace I have seen has been 38 stones. Not much of a difference there.

What made slicers so special that made them to be created so much better? Was it all grinding?

>>Also, how is it that the best npc forgers in the lands that are supposedly known world wide would be making inferior weapons to player made weapons, I actually condone having npc's make the better weapons at the high end but on average that most good players forgers forge better than your local npc forger,

>>See, this isn't the way I see it.

>>The way I see it, local Milgrym's or other NPC weapons (not including weapons from legendary NPC weaponsmiths like Master Bowmaker Renshear) represent your average swords. They are made by experienced and perhaps talented smiths. Milgrym swords are sturdy and dependable; they are the swords that the average NPC soldiers or common mercenaries would use. You could theoretically use that sword your whole career and be fine, because they are very decent swords.

Yeah, I always thought of storebought weapons akin to clothes shopping at Walmart. You'll get a quality weapon that anyone can use, but if you want something spectacular that will knock your socks off and fits you perfectly, you need to see a custom tailor.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

-At the cleric meeting-
DARTENIAN says, "I think we all need to get down and pray for bit-based experience."
>DARTENIAN clears his throat.
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/20/2007 02:38 PM CDT
Except the sword sold in SCC sells for more than that so the appraisal price would be higher than 12.5 plat...

I am --- Navak
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/20/2007 03:47 PM CDT
>Except the sword sold in SCC sells for more than that so the appraisal price would be higher than 12.5 plat...

For some reason dying or hilting changes the coin apps too, same thing happened to the forged one when when I dyed it into the 'silver-edged sword'.

Sylverex told me he had just recently purchased it from SCC, and he was also genuinely worried that it might not hold up to a forged blade and might of been a waste of money. Plus other than the coin value it apps exactly like a SCC one, so I have little reason to think it isn't one.

Dragoonseal
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/20/2007 03:55 PM CDT
so i lost 4 dok plats cause i got a silver-hilted bastard? that sucks
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/20/2007 04:20 PM CDT
<<so i lost 4 dok plats cause i got a silver-hilted bastard? that sucks

Not really, it is just a wonky system. Shops don't always put the appropriate appraisal value on items that can be customized when ordering. It would have cost you the same no matter what so you didn't lose anything. If anything customizing a weapon should increase the value since you paid more for it, but it doesn't always do that if ever.
2HE Moonblade 06/16/2008 08:33 PM CDT
Retrieved from Moonmage folders. Pretty nice weapon...looks like a claymore copy with the "dismally balanced"?

A huge fiery-red moonblade is a two-handed edged melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
low puncture damage
severe slice damage
heavy impact damage

You are certain that the moonblade is dismally balanced and is well suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the fiery-red moonblade is well constructed, and is in pristine condition.

The fiery-red moonblade is made with metal.
You are certain that the fiery-red moonblade weighs about 39 stones.
You are certain that the fiery-red moonblade is worth exactly nothing.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: 2HE Moonblade 06/16/2008 08:36 PM CDT
Surprisingly, some of the new Moon Blade forms actually have very decent appraisals. The 2HE is probably the most attractive-looking, I would agree.
A surge of intense heat lands a glancing strike to a gypsy marauder's verse!
A surge of intense heat lands a good hit to a morah vine's neck!

Behold the power of Bards: your verse shall be smitten.
Re: 2HE Moonblade 06/16/2008 08:45 PM CDT
Except you have to wonder why a more balanced weapon like, say, a twohanded sword, wasn't chosen, considering moon weapons are supposed to be for people with lower strength...
Re: 2HE Moonblade 06/16/2008 11:54 PM CDT
>Except you have to wonder why a more balanced weapon like, say, a twohanded sword, wasn't chosen, considering moon weapons are supposed to be for people with lower strength...

Moonies with lower strength probably dont use 2HE. For a 39 stone weapon made out of pure light, it has some pretty nice impact damage.

If I were to spite my face, in my opinion, cutting off my nose would be a reasonably good start.
Re: 2HE Moonblade 06/17/2008 10:13 AM CDT
<<For a 39 stone weapon made out of pure light, it has some pretty nice impact damage.

I was thinking the same thing. Pretty nice weapon actually, sans the dismally balanced issue. Looked like a claymore to me with more impact.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: 2HE Moonblade 06/17/2008 11:50 AM CDT
I'm not saying it doesn't have a decent appraisal, it just doesn't make any sense to be as a moonweapon.
Re: 2HE Moonblade 06/17/2008 12:53 PM CDT
Previous moonblade really excelled as a parrying weapon. The same is still true for the lighter edged versions.

I personally like the discrepancy between the different forms. Those looking to use Moonblade as a parrying weapon, like the old spell, still have that option. The few Moon Mages who heavily train weapons and want damage performance out of their blades have that option now, as well.
A surge of intense heat lands a glancing strike to a gypsy marauder's verse!
A surge of intense heat lands a good hit to a morah vine's neck!

Behold the power of Bards: your verse shall be smitten.
Re: 2HE Moonblade 06/17/2008 09:30 PM CDT
>I'm not saying it doesn't have a decent appraisal, it just doesn't make any sense to be as a moonweapon.

I think its dumb to give Moonies anything sharper than a spatula, but thats just me. Still a nice spell that gives you 4 weapons and less weight to carry around.

If I were to spite my face, in my opinion, cutting off my nose would be a reasonably good start.
2HE roundtime FYI 07/21/2008 10:32 AM CDT
In case anyone wanted to know:
Strength : 24
Agility : 24

28 stone forged bastard sword HE/2HE

1 RT feint, 3 RT draw, 4 RT everything else.

Didn't happen at 24 str/23 agility.

Your mind hears Eladrin thinking, "i saw tikoro make out with a goblin once"

Your mind hears Tikoro thinking, "{faintly}" "Yeah, your mum is pretty ugly."
Re: 2HE roundtime FYI 07/21/2008 12:03 PM CDT
Balance and Suitedness ratings are zones, not exact figures. Depending on the way the weapon was forged the RT reductions will vary.

How much strength/stamina is needed to wield this 2HE? 08/19/2008 05:21 AM CDT
I have an iron-hilted claymore (58 stones) bought from Theren, and a forged Greatsword (60 stones), I thought I could swing them with 3/4 RT at 39 str, but I am still swinging them with 6 RT (slice/chop), anyone know what the problem is? I have 39 str, 31 agi and 28 stamina.

another question is that, once I can swing them with 3/4 RT, whats the min stamina to keep fatigue at max?

I have problem swinging Tiger-toothed morning star with full fatigue as well, how much stamina is needed?
Re: How much strength/stamina is needed to wield this 2HE? 08/19/2008 05:38 AM CDT
According to the calculator on this site:

http://hooker.gq.nu/RT.htm

You're almost there to get a 3/4 rt, and if your stamina is not high to rebuild fatigue to 100% after each swing, or certainly at the end of your weapon cycle:

feint, draw, sweep, slice, chop, parry

If fatigue is not at 100% after you parry, then you need to put some tdp's into it. The same thing applies with the morning star.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
2HE axes 03/27/2009 09:11 PM CDT
Okay, I'd like opinion a couple of 2HE axes. I am torn between the Massive double-bladed braodaxe and the Dwarven battle axe. THe added weight isn't a factor. Is the extra impact worth the slight loss in slice? Other thoughts?
Re: 2HE axes 03/27/2009 09:18 PM CDT
Don't forget there is a difference in suitedness as well. The massive double-bladed broadaxe has a suitedness of reasonably and the Dwarven Greataxe has a suitedness of well....and it actually has a puncture of mod which the broadaxe doesn't have at all. I'm not sure how much the suitedness matters or if the puncture matters at all.

So it's either Severe slice/Heavy impact/Reasonably suit or Great slice/Great Impact/Well Suit.

I'm biased in the decision.

~Player of Khorgar, Dwarven Barbarian~

AIM: KhorgarDR
Re: 2HE axes 03/27/2009 10:20 PM CDT
I'd love to get my hands on one of each... the broadaxe looks like it wouldn't be a problem, but where is the dwarven greataxe sold? Somewhere in Hib?

"Body parts have a static number of hit points and at higher levels it is very easy for a single blow to obliterate, say, your chest. This is a Bad Thing."
-GM Dartenian

Gene Police! You, outta the pool!
Re: 2HE axes 03/27/2009 10:37 PM CDT
Oops, it's not a Dwarven greataxe it's just a Dwarven battle axe and it's 2HE. It's sold in Iron Mountain weapons in Dirge

~Player of Khorgar, Dwarven Barbarian~

AIM: KhorgarDR
Re: 2HE axes 03/27/2009 10:47 PM CDT
>>The massive double-bladed broadaxe has a suitedness of reasonably

The compendium I'm looking at says both are well, though I do also see that both are great slice. I'm wondering now about the two-handed warring axe from Shard. Heavy impact and reasonably suited vs. the Dwarven battle axe's great/well. I'm guessing that the extra impact + the better suitedness would make up for the great vs. severe slice of the warring axe?
Re: 2HE axes 03/28/2009 12:11 AM CDT
Having used every non-auction (or otherwise unique) 2HE axe I've ever heard of, I'd vote solidly for the dwarven battle axe. The fact that it has mod puncture should you find it necessary in a pinch, plus the little extra balance (poor vs. dismal for the others, not to mention most other big 2HEs) is enough to make it the winner in my book, when weight isn't an issue.

Ogdaro
Re: 2HE axes 03/28/2009 09:45 AM CDT
>>I'd vote solidly for the dwarven battle axe.

Thank you kindly.
1 3 Next Next_page