Prev_page Previous 1
Chain Armor 03/27/2013 02:44 PM CDT
What do people prefer for their chain? Light weight or heavy and most protecting?

Here is heavy, most protecting steel, I am pretty sure it's high-end protection and absorption for all puncture/slice/impact since it was the same before reinforcing:
Low end moderate protection for fire and cold, since those values were raised by reinforcing.

The mail hauberk is chain armor.

The hauberk looks like it offers protection for the following areas:

right arm
left arm
right leg
left leg
chest
abdomen
back

You feel certain that a steel mail hauberk appears to impose great maneuvering hindrance and moderate stealth hindrance, offering:
very good protection and very great damage absorption for puncture attacks.
very good protection and very great damage absorption for slice attacks.
good protection and very great damage absorption for impact attacks.
moderate protection and good damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and good damage absorption for cold attacks.
low protection and somewhat fair damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing a steel mail hauberk you could expect your maneuvering to be lightly hindered and your stealth to be fairly hindered.

You are certain that the mail hauberk is somewhat unsound against damage, and is in pristine condition.

The mail hauberk is made with metal.
The mail hauberk is fairly flexible.
You are certain that the mail hauberk weighs exactly 681 stones.
You are certain that the mail hauberk is worth exactly 826988 Dokoras.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Chain Armor 03/27/2013 04:27 PM CDT

I went with these because someone said they'd be super light and still protect fairly well. Stealth and Survival prime so it seemed to make the most sense:

The ring gloves are chain armor.

The gloves look like they offer protection for the following areas:

right hand
left hand

You feel certain that some audrualm ring gloves appear to impose insignificant maneuvering hindrance and insignificant stealth hindrance, offering:
moderate protection and great damage absorption for puncture attacks.
good protection and great damage absorption for slice attacks.
moderate protection and great damage absorption for impact attacks.
good protection and very high damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and very high damage absorption for cold attacks.
low protection and moderate damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing some audrualm ring gloves your maneuvering would be barely hindered and your stealth would be minimally hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently lightly hindered and your stealth is insignificantly hindered.

You are certain that the ring gloves are a bit safeguarded against damage, and are practically in mint condition.

The ring gloves are made with metal.
The ring gloves are quite supple.
You are certain that the ring gloves weighs exactly 16 stones.
You are certain that the ring gloves are worth exactly 122074 Dokoras.

>app bala
The ring balaclava is chain armor.

The balaclava looks like it offers protection for the following areas:

head
neck
right eye
left eye

You feel certain that an audrualm ring balaclava appears to impose insignificant maneuvering hindrance and insignificant stealth hindrance, offering:
moderate protection and great damage absorption for puncture attacks.
good protection and great damage absorption for slice attacks.
moderate protection and great damage absorption for impact attacks.
good protection and very high damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and very high damage absorption for cold attacks.
low protection and moderate damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing an audrualm ring balaclava your maneuvering would be barely hindered and your stealth would be barely hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently lightly hindered and your stealth is insignificantly hindered.

You are certain that the ring balaclava is a bit safeguarded against damage, and is practically in mint condition.

The ring balaclava is made with metal.
The ring balaclava is quite supple.
You are certain that the ring balaclava weighs exactly 43 stones.
You are certain that the ring balaclava is worth exactly 369890 Dokoras.

When I can finally find someone with enough metal to make the hauberk (and I can afford to buy that much audrualm, hahaha) I'll get that too.

-O
Re: Chain Armor 03/28/2013 12:24 AM CDT

I would like to know more about this too, I'm a barb who planned on using the predator path so I have always been heavy stealth. I train both chain and leather but I would like to know high end if the negative in chain to stealth is worth the protection or if I should just stick with leather. I have a feeling it will come down to my target..if they have high perception go leather, if not i can rock the chain. For me its all about CvC so any info would be cool.
Re: Chain Armor 03/28/2013 09:45 AM CDT
I think stealth hinderance is based on armor class? (or atleast it was). Would like some clarification myself.

So if the above is right, higher density chain will have the same stealth hinderance as lower density chain. I just started messing around with it so the only evidence I have is that the above hauberk at 600+ stones had the same stealth hinderance as a 400+ stone tyrium hauberk

Also I just checked back a few posts and Kraggur posted a Audaudrualm hauberk at 333 stones and that too had the same stealth hinderance as well, so it "appears" to be correct.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Chain Armor 04/03/2013 04:11 PM CDT

Osus do you know the metal mix that went into those two out of curiosity? Someone with a solid amount of forging should be able to analyze it.

Unless I'm going nuts, that looks like 2.0 density for the gloves and 2.15 density for the balaclava. Now I wish I had a bunch of audrualm to experiment with.

<<"earning too little skinning experience for a day or so isn't nearly as bad as having a spell that breaks your wings."
Re: Chain Armor 04/03/2013 05:32 PM CDT

You analyze every minute detail of the ring balaclava and smile knowingly to yourself.
This appears to be a type of finished metal chain armor that is masterfully-crafted.
The balaclava is a simple piece to make.
It was made by someone with a bit less skill than your own.
About 16 volume of metal was used in this item's construction.
The metal appears to be composed of: 68.57% audrualm, and 31.42% tin.
You find it impossible to identify who crafted this item.
The metal appears to have been slowly tempered to improve its durability.
Grind marks along the edge of the armor indicate it was lightend to reduce its weight.
Roundtime: 10 sec.

You analyze every minute detail of the ring gloves and smile knowingly to yourself.
These appear to be a type of finished metal chain armor that are masterfully-crafted.
The gloves are a very easy piece to make.
It was made by someone with a bit less skill than your own.
About 6 volume of metal was used in this item's construction.
The metal appears to be composed of: 71.43% audrualm, and 28.57% tin.
You find it impossible to identify who crafted this item.
The metal appears to have been slowly tempered to improve its durability.
Grind marks along the edge of the armor indicate it was lightend to reduce its weight.
Roundtime: 10 sec.

Tempered and lightened, Elfverhan made em I think, or Zozuskar. Cant remember, one of those tincans.

-O
Re: Chain Armor 04/03/2013 09:31 PM CDT
Audrualm should be a density of 3, and tin should also be a density of 3. Am I missing something?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Chain Armor 04/03/2013 09:33 PM CDT
>>Audrualm should be a density of 3, and tin should also be a density of 3. Am I missing something?

Lighten armor will bring it under 3 density. That is most likely what they are refering to.

The bucket burbles suddenly as its contents begin to dissolve....

Suddenly it spits out some niniam field plate onto the floor.
Re: Chain Armor 04/03/2013 09:41 PM CDT

Derp. I forgot to factor the lightening in.

<<"earning too little skinning experience for a day or so isn't nearly as bad as having a spell that breaks your wings."
Re: Chain Armor 04/03/2013 09:49 PM CDT
>>Lighten armor will bring it under 3 density. That is most likely what they are refering to.

Once armor is crafted, you can lighten it no matter what its weight is. The 3.0 density only applies to when you try to pound an ingot

Apu
_
Respect. Integrity. World Domination.
https://sites.google.com/site/apucorpdr/
Re: Chain Armor 04/04/2013 02:42 AM CDT
>Once armor is crafted, you can lighten it no matter what its weight is. The 3.0 density only applies to when you try to pound an ingot

Huh, that's odd. Weapons prevent you from lightening under 3 density equivalent.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Chain Armor 04/04/2013 08:28 PM CDT
Oops.. looks like that is unintended. Though, I am unlikely to fix it given that it already exists and won't really break things the way weapons do.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Chain Armor 04/25/2013 11:23 AM CDT
I been asleep for a long time. Never heard of that metal. I am in need of two sets of chain armor with lowest stealth hinderance as possible, and with good protection. If anyone wants to post some easy to obtain stuff. Even nicely forged stuff that is for sale, and prices if you selling it. Would love that. Very least need one set.
Re: Chain Armor 04/25/2013 01:05 PM CDT
For lowest stealth hindrance, your best bet is going to be lightweight lumium. A (lightened) lumium ring hauberk has a stealth hindrance of 7 and a weight of 228.

Other metals also have a stealth hindrance of 7 though, so there isn't that much difference. This includes steel and covellite, although both are heavier (350-360) and with lower elemental absorptions. Unfortunately I don't have stealth hindrance data on damite, but I assume it will be more.

You can often find a seller for lumium at about 1 plat per volume, or you could try to mine for the lumium yourself, or find a smith with pieces already made. Finding a smith is really your best bet rather than going with storebought, because storebought is so inferior at this point.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Chain Armor 04/25/2013 01:19 PM CDT
>Other metals also have a stealth hindrance of 7 though

Last word was that stealth hinderance is determined entirely by armor type and coverage, and not material or weight: so chain stealth hinderance should be the same no matter what it's made of.
Re: Chain Armor 04/25/2013 01:34 PM CDT
Doesn't weight affect stealth in of it self? IE burden from weight etc.
Re: Chain Armor 04/25/2013 02:14 PM CDT
>>Doesn't weight affect stealth in of it self? IE burden from weight etc.

No. Wounds will effect stealth, but encumbrance does not have any effect on stealth.
Re: Chain Armor 04/25/2013 07:59 PM CDT
>>Last word was that stealth hinderance is determined entirely by armor type and coverage, and not material or weight: so chain stealth hinderance should be the same no matter what it's made of.

Oh great, thanks. I must have missed this. I will have to re-appraise some things...

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Chain Armor 04/26/2013 09:49 PM CDT
>>>>Last word was that stealth hinderance is determined entirely by armor type and coverage, and not material or weight: so chain stealth hinderance should be the same no matter what it's made of.

>>Oh great, thanks. I must have missed this. I will have to re-appraise some things...

This is the way that I have always thought it has been but I cant ever seem to get any confirmation from a GM on it. I would exclude any special armors in your look-ups if you do compare. I would just compare high-weight forged vs light-weight forged.

Really I should just go make a heavy hauberk and a light hauberk and see how they come out I just have been limited on time lately.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Chain Armor 04/27/2013 12:07 AM CDT

Ok so did the test:

90 physical hauberk, 3 density and lighted, weight = 243 stones
If you were only wearing a lumium mail hauberk your maneuvering would be insignificantly hindered and your stealth would be fairly hindered.

90 physical hauberk, 6.32 density and reinforced, weight = 681 stones
If you were only wearing a steel mail hauberk your maneuvering would be lightly hindered and your stealth would be fairly hindered.

In retrospect I should of made a lumium ring hauberk, not sure why I didn't except that I didn't think about it, maybe I will make one tomorrow but at least it's a good example that weight doesn't appear to make a difference in stealth hindrance.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Chain Armor 04/27/2013 11:18 AM CDT
I'll be making some tweaks to that soon. Not sure why the original designers didn't have hindrance affect it :/

Re: Chain Armor 04/27/2013 12:49 PM CDT
So I should wait before you make changes. If any armor forgers out there, think or know they have great light weight chain armor, with low stealth hindrance and still decent protection. Please contact me in game.

Kitarro
Re: Chain Armor 04/27/2013 12:55 PM CDT
>>So I should wait before you make changes. If any armor forgers out there, think or know they have great light weight chain armor, with low stealth hindrance and still decent protection. Please contact me in game.

It's all a sliding scale - weight adds hindrance and protection and less weight subtracts hindrance and protection so it's a trade off, there is a bunch of lumium and steel chain in Tiddeggur's Shop in Crossing that I made if you want to compare the two.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Chain Armor 04/28/2013 12:08 AM CDT

Here we go,

lumium ring hauberk, lightened, weight= 189 stones:

If you were only wearing a lumium ring hauberk you could expect your maneuvering to be minimally hindered and your stealth to be fairly hindered.

>>I'll be making some tweaks to that soon. Not sure why the original designers didn't have hindrance affect it :/

So curious, are you going to make the top end have more stealth hinderance or the low end have less?

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Chain Armor 04/29/2013 01:41 AM CDT
>I'll be making some tweaks to that soon. Not sure why the original designers didn't have hindrance affect it :/

This seems a bit worrysome / difficult to manage, especially regarding the weights of leathers/bone armor.

Setting that aside, would this be a 100% stealth nerf for chain, or are the lighter models (e.g. audraulm, lightened lumium) going to possibly see less stealth hindrance than now?
Re: Chain Armor 04/29/2013 11:24 PM CDT
Thanks for all the help with chain armor. I finally got me a decent set. Thanks.
Re: Chain Armor 05/04/2013 02:43 PM CDT
Chain stealth hinderance is already unfeasible for moon mages. It'd be nice if there was a cap to the penalty -- for all armors as that goes. My guild is supposed to be stealthy but I don't hide at all anymore against anything or anyone that matters. I use invis just to buy a couple of seconds of people searching/screwing up there aims/etc due to mechanics, but actually hiding to be hidden? It's not remotely worth the trade off between cloth and LC, which are my choices as a MM.

I understand the "no one can hide in heavier armors!!" wrath, but I think it's swung too far the other way, at least as a MM. I understand I'm armor tert and won't ever get the advantages of the heaviest armors, but the hit to stealth (a guild specialty for two or the armor tert guilds) for using the lightest metal armor is a bit much to me. Maybe thieves get a stealth hinderance bonus, thought I remember reading that.
Re: Chain Armor 05/04/2013 10:34 PM CDT
I'd love to rewrite stealth a bit so there are penalties other than -% skill to hiding. Increased RTs for doing actions in hiding, durational effects that give a fatigue, to-hit, defense or other penalties and so on. We'll see where it ends up going.

Re: Chain Armor 05/04/2013 11:46 PM CDT
Doesn't stealth need a bit of an update still to coincide with everything 3.0? Not that I'm expecting Kodius to do this, just wondering where stealth is.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Chain Armor 05/07/2013 10:05 AM CDT
>Chain stealth hinderance is already unfeasible for moon mages. It'd be nice if there was a cap to the penalty -- for all armors as that goes. My guild is supposed to be stealthy but I don't hide at all anymore against anything or anyone that matters. I use invis just to buy a couple of seconds of people searching/screwing up there aims/etc due to mechanics, but actually hiding to be hidden? It's not remotely worth the trade off between cloth and LC, which are my choices as a MM.

I have to agree with this, hiding in chain borderlines the impossible for everyone but Thief (who daresay have an insane number of Stealth perks to begin with, even for a primary...) - The fact they're the only one that reliably do this is doubly worrysome because it gives the best hiders in the game the choice of toting some of the best armor in the game to boot.

Any kind of global stealth nerfs are likely to hurt the secondaries/tertiaries far more than the primaries, who already have a fairly ridiculous edge in the hiding department to begin with.
Re: Chain Armor 05/07/2013 12:26 PM CDT
<<I'd love to rewrite stealth a bit so there are penalties other than -% skill to hiding. Increased RTs for doing actions in hiding, durational effects that give a fatigue, to-hit, defense or other penalties and so on. We'll see where it ends up going.>>

That kind of flexibility would be really awesome down the road, thanks for considering it.
Re: Chain Armor 05/07/2013 01:03 PM CDT
>>I have to agree with this, hiding in chain borderlines the impossible for everyone but Thief<<

That's news to me.

Stealth: 1179 94% very rapt

I'm a barbarian.
Re: Chain Armor 05/07/2013 01:24 PM CDT
Stealth: 339 79.41% absorbing (15/34)

that is my level 56 barbarian, and he wears heavy plate gloves, a chain helm and leather.

- Buuwl
Re: Chain Armor 05/07/2013 05:42 PM CDT

Or swap between cloth and chain....cloth when training stealth, chain when not....
Re: Chain Armor 05/07/2013 05:54 PM CDT

I would gladly trade all the armor-based stealth hindrances for access to the magic skillset with my thief. Pretty awesome to have all those barries and damage reduction abilities you can stack on top of all that top-end armor you have access to as well. Guess I'm just being petty and jealous though :/

-O
Re: Chain Armor 05/07/2013 06:03 PM CDT
>>Pretty awesome to have all those barrier and damage reduction abilities you can stack on top of all that top-end armor you have access to as well.

I wasn't going to but couldn't resist after that.

Stealth: 273 85.32% clear (0/34)

The bucket burbles suddenly as its contents begin to dissolve....

Suddenly it spits out some niniam field plate onto the floor.
Re: Chain Armor 05/07/2013 09:59 PM CDT
Training hiding successfully != using hiding successfully.

with that said I would have to test with an all chain setup to be able to give any good info. Pendus you're all chain and you can stay hidden on your opponents? I can't (I can hide to train well but get pointed immediately) but I have a mixed setup that includes brig and plate.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Chain Armor 05/07/2013 10:38 PM CDT

<< I would gladly trade all the armor-based stealth hindrances for access to the magic skillset with my thief. Pretty awesome to have all those barries and damage reduction abilities you can stack on top of all that top-end armor you have access to as well. Guess I'm just being petty and jealous though :/

I think you're pretty dead on. I get jealous of thieves (and rangers) who learn skinning like water, but not enough to give up magic.
Re: Chain Armor 05/08/2013 07:01 AM CDT
<<I think you're pretty dead on. I get jealous of thieves (and rangers) who learn skinning like water, but not enough to give up magic.>>

Not to go on a further tangent but,
The plan is still for thieves to have access to the magic skillet eventually, is it not?

- Buuwl
Re: Chain Armor 05/08/2013 08:20 AM CDT

I believe it is Buuwl. They just didnt feel like messing with Khri system since it was working well enough for now and they had a lot of things on the plate. Can't imagine thieves will be the only class locked out from the skillset, with barbs having it and traders 'soon' to get actual spells. Not how far down the road it is though, probably well beyond the horizon.
Prev_page Previous 1