Prev_page Previous 1 3
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/17/2019 10:59 PM CDT

Been a few hours and no response. Guess I get to go first....

I don't get it. I don't understand how TDPs are a problem. Like I get that you all think the train it all mindset of players is bad. The thing is the TDPs/stats you gain from doing that are...kinda meaningless right? Like I couldn't tell you in PvE what the difference between 30 and 60 agility is. I can't feel any change I'm sure there is some change, but I've never notice it. For PvP until you are a monster pushing stats way above 100 SvS is just silly the way it's currently designed. You have to be badly out classes for a spell to be resisted. Train it all is a perception problem among players not a real system problem. And even then if it is a system problem why not build an incentive for training less things at once like oh I don't know bigger drain pulses when training less skills? Why do we have to take away a fundamental aspect of the game to have that in the form of option 2?

I've heard there are balance issues with the wide swing on stats. I say that's made up nonsense. Balance is pretty arbitrary and frankly DR has never really been all that balanced. Games don't need to be balanced to be fun. And not to sound too harsh but if it's hard to get to whatever arbitrary balance state you have that's on the GMs. The solution shouldn't be coming from the skin of players.

Lets talk for a minute about the base assumption. The base assumption is that the game encourages and strongly incentives training everything and that's bad. I'd say the GMs are the ones that encourage training everything. GMs released the almanac. GMs build the systems that let me train 40 skills at once. GMs are the ones that suddenly get IDEAS!(tm) that can radically change how you'd want to build your character. Training wide is hedging against future at whim GM system changes. Anyone remember when shield wasn't so good or as easy to train? I 'member.

Specifically the two options proposed are mistakes.

Option 1 is lifted from GS. GS has one of the worst stat systems I've ever seen. Why are we suggesting systems that push people into an out of game website or tool to build their characters? I get that a lot of the old stuff just works that way, but it's bad game design. Stop building things make me open a wiki or some tool on another site. It's bad.

Option 2 completely does away with any of the time your most loyal players have spent in your game. Its you telling those players they misspent their time and are wrong for having done so. No reward you create to spend the old TDPs on will make up for that. It's a solid slap in the face for a so called problem of your own making. This is how you fix a new system that's been out a short amount of time. Not a fundamental aspect that's gone virtually unchanged since the day the game opened.

This is a horrible mistake. If Simu wants to "get it right" then they should abandon this project. Whatever it is you are trying to do it will fail. You will not make stats more engaging or meaningful(I can think of like one game that has engaging or meaningful stat choices). You will not get people out of the train it all mindset. You will not make balancing any easier on yourselves. I honestly don't know why you would want to touch the third rail of DR for such little gain and a ton of risk.

TDPs and stats are a core aspect to how players build their characters. How they've been building those characters for two decades. I'll tell you GMs a secret...Players really don't like it when you take away what they've built. And I know you are going to go on and post something like how it wont really change that much or something else calm and rational. But players build emotional connections to the characters they build. The reactions are going to be emotional not rational but just as valid. It's not unsimilar to how some players feel about PvP except with PvP I can take steps to minimize it or lobby for policy changes. But with things like this GMs are the bulldozers coming to knock down the house I spent a lot of time to build. Players can't minimize the damage you do the their house, they just have to eat it or walk away and try to build somewhere else.

Of course this post is mostly shouting into the void. You have your idea and the framework of a plan. There is no turning the car around and no convincing you this is a mistake. Best of luck with whatever you decided on. You are really, really going to need it.

<<Since this topic is waaaaay more likely to blow up than the others, please post feedback in "Abilities, Skills, and Magic > The Experience System".>>

You're not the boss of me! Also I hate the forums and messing around trying to find the correct place to post when there's nothing there is a pain. If the mods would rather it somewhere else or it starts being a conversation somewhere else then hopefully the mods will move it over to where it needs to be.

~Nexty the bitter, breaker of dreams, ruiner of fun, cynic of renown, and mother of pessimism.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 01:09 AM CDT
>TDP changes are going to happen. The purpose of the changes has a few reasons, but the major are the requirement to train every skill in order to be mechanically optimal and the release of end game content.

Not really against this, but I think it would be very helpful if the GMs could supply what they believe the stat average should be for various tiers of play. Knowing what should the stat average be for 50/100/150/200 level characters would really help us understand where our characters fit in to this new model and might alleviate some worries in the player base.

>Two proposals are being considered.

Option1: While this seems balanced, I fear it would not allow a lot of customization. Many players enjoy playing the Smart Tog/strong Elothean/etc and I think this would make those things either difficult or punishing to play.

Option2: Sounds like it will allow the greatest player control. However I have heard concerns about how some skills are very easy to keep locked and might make some guilds easier to rush TDPs than others.

All that said, its hard to know which would be the best without having some more data on each proposal.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 01:52 AM CDT
Posts about proposed changes to TDPs have been moved here from Discussions with DragonRealms Staff and Players \ General Discussions and Discussions with DragonRealms Staff and Players \ Microtrans. We ask that you please use this board so that the discussion is all in one place (that being the same place where most prior TDP threads are located).

GM Cordulia
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 02:29 AM CDT
Option 2 has been on the table for many, many years, so this whole discussion isn't a new one at all. I recall them even attempting to do this in the past, but having trouble coming up with a way to deal with the huge variation in stats where some people saw massive changes for the worse and others massive changes for the better. It looks like they decided to go with setting a baseline and then creating a reward system to compensate people based on how many TDPs they had.

Option 1 is the first time I've seen that solution floated. It is similar to GS, yes, but not identical since GS doesn't have the option to place some points where you want them as you level. I don't like GS's system much, since you have to make all of your character's decisions during character creation and easily leads to regrets later on. Of the 2 options presented, I definitely prefer option 2. It keeps the flavor of DR's current TDP system.

<<However I have heard concerns about how some skills are very easy to keep locked and might make some guilds easier to rush TDPs than others.

Each skillset has skills that are easy to keep moving, and since this would be limited to one to three skills per skillset I don't see this as much of a concern. Sure, some are easier to train in combat and others out of combat which can lead to needing to split time between the two, but that's not any different than it is right now. Taking a look at my 3 highest skills in each skillset currently, they're naturally all the ones that are kept moving easily and are pretty much draining the entire time I'm logged in, so I doubt anything would change about my routine at all if option 2 was implemented. At the very least, nothing would have to.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 06:35 AM CDT
I don't understand the full scope of "the stats are a problem". Honestly I don't feel that the present system is all that bad, but I'm open to having my mind changed if the GMs can fill us in a little on how the current state is a problem worth of this massive scale of upheaval.

>Option 2: TDPs remain, but only the highest skill(s) in each skillset counts for TDPs. TDP gain will be scaled and multiplied with that in mind.
If we're voting and we only have two options, I guess I like option 2 best. I want to be able to "overcome" race penalties with training, and I don't want some 25 year old idea of "Rangers are just Ranged" affecting the way I gain stats.

Certainly the completionist in me would really be sad if I couldn't hit 100 in all stats by 200th circle. I don't care much about training past that point and I think it would be neat to have "other things" to spend TDPs on. I've always trained Hanryu as a generalist, and given how often skills fall in and out of "useful", I will continue to train broadly because you never know when skill X is going to get its day in the sun.

Now to settle in with a cup of coffee and read through these player posts! Thank you very much for posting the Roundups Mazrian, I do hope we get some Red-Name interaction in this thread also.

~Hunter Hanryu
>Everything Rangers have is just a lame version of something cool.~Morkim
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 07:34 AM CDT
I think at this point in time, any major changes will result in a "You Lose" situation. Let's face it, the game has been around for nearly 22 years. How many active accounts currently exist? What is the average age of the owners of those accounts? How long do you think that these players are going to remain playing? Is it really worth it to change some of the most basic and core aspects of the game for any reason at all? Whatever the real or perceived imbalance is, we have all gotten used to it, and in some cases, are not even aware of it. Even if it's broke, don't fix it.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 08:28 AM CDT
Here's a post by GM Socharis from 2012:

So to recap, the method in Prime today gives you one TDP for every 200 ranks earned - If you rank from 199 to 200, you'd gain one TDP. The original proposed system for DR3 had it so that you'd gain one TDP for every 125 ranks earned for the top 3 skills in your primary skillset, top 3 skills in each secondary skillset, and top 3 tertiary skills altogether, and one TDP every 400 ranks of every other skill. The goal behind this proposed system was to allow people with less time to still gain TDPs at a reasonable rate, even if they couldn't train 20 skills at once.
However, after a lot of thinking, I've come to the conclusion that this won't really make things better for the 'part timers', as it were. The full timers will simply adapt their training mechanisms to optimize TDP gain, and will still scream ahead (perhaps faster!) of anybody that can't dedicate the time or training to get all of the skills moving. Additionally, there were a lot of people that were getting REALLY hosed with this model - Codiax was losing over ten thousand TDPs, some people (especially mages) were gaining a whole ton of them. After grandfathering, the average increase in TDPs was 50%.
So, I ran some models with new skills (including grandfathering) using the old "one TDP per 200 ranks" system, and it turned out that this punished people the least (on average), bonused people the least, and was by FAR the simplest to code. On average, people were gaining 1.5% TDPs, with an average of ~250. Some people are still gaining ridiculous numbers of TDPs, but it's far fewer, and the bell curve is very pleasing.
So, what do we do about trying to make the game a little more balanced for people that don't have the time to train everything, all the time? This brings me to something I've been tossing around, which will help level the playing field and also solve some other problems we've had. Basically, I'm looking at giving bonus drain rate if you're draining a few skills, and slowing the drain rate if you're draining many skills. This basically emulates the notion of cramming a handful of important skills vs trying to learn a whole bunch of things at once. Discipline will probably alleviate this somewhat.
Note that you won't be LOSING experience - It'll just take longer to absorb the experience you've earned in some cases.

It seems he had done some actual modeling and testing on this topic, and from what I can see the discussion had been somewhat ongoing for at least two years prior to that. I hope any new TDP plan will have similar supporting analysis, and isn't just a knee-jerk reaction to the status quo. We all know it's suboptimal, but the need to do something , if that something isn't thoroughly tested and reasoned, could really make things worse.

I've seen suggestions in discord for TDPs being more like LTBs without a real in-game impact, and that scheme really rubs me the wrong way. It's also pretty ridiculous that so many min-maxers are training every single skill in the game, but is the detriment really worth the potential unintended consequences this sort of shake up will inevitably have?

In sum, I'm not opposed to a change, but if we're going to do it, let's make sure we do it thoughtfully and backed up by lots and lots of data.

Qihhth
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 10:02 AM CDT
The game has promoted versatility since its inception, and a monumental change like this is a foolhardy solution to the perceived problem. I sincerely hope these aren't the only two options being entertained. Option one sounds very much like GS, which is why I chose DR in the first place. Option 2, while better, still takes directly out of the pockets of the people who have bought into the system for years if not decades.

Let's take a step back. If we remove the incentive to train all skills, it's pretty safe to assume that people will find that there are skills that are not worth training. If those skills are not worth training, they provide no tangible benefit to the player other than that they grant TDPs. For me, the skills that come to mind are: First Aid, Outdoorsmanship, Scholarship, Performance, and possibly Appraisal. Beyond a rather low threshold, these skills don't do much of anything. To me, a better route to go would be to make things worth training to the player.

Why not reward players for training specific skills, rather than reward them for training in general? When I hear that stats are too high or all guilds are cookie cutter I say it's because there's no individuality built into the systems. There is no difference in how a skill is used between a guild that has that skill as primary vs tertiary. If I'm lore primary, maybe I could stand to have some extra moves within tactics that a lore tert doesn't have. You get to pick your race, guild, guild abilities, and crafting techniques. Give me options to specialize and set myself beyond training X vs not training X. The skillset placement really isn't much more than learning speed. The system feels bland because it is bland, and removing TDPs from that equation isn't going to make it any less bland. What we're really doing with this change is admitting that there are worthless skills.

If you're going to radically change the system, do so in a meaningful way. Neither of the options are exciting, and the prospect of transferring TDP progress to something else like end game instances feels more like an attempt to draw attention away from how little this change would actually accomplish. I would much rather see efforts refocused on making people want to do different things, instead of feeling like they had to do all the things. Yes, doing all the things is an option and should be rewarded if someone wanted to take the time to do so. Perhaps the method of rewarding those players could help bridge the gap without leaving people feeling cheated.

The only reason to train everything is higher stats. Can we please change that? Maybe taking a few minutes to play an instrument could give you a buff of some sort. Lore was deemed important for magic primes, so maybe it's not far fetched for scholarship to grant additional spell (or sorcery) slots. What if I could read a book to learn a skill -- much like how teaching works? What if you could weaponize first aid to find your enemy's weak points after studying all those anatomy charts? What if you got technique slots for tactics, and could learn different tactics from a trainer that fit your combat style? Does it make sense for appraisal to provide a bonus to dealing with shopkeepers, crafting, or even tying it into other systems like analyze with tactics. What if my understanding of crafting a weapon carried into my ability to use said weapon, or vise versa? Be creative. We're the same because there's no option to customize yourself.

IMO combat is the most interesting system in the game because there are a lot of skills that work together to meet the same goal, and that's the only place that really happens. If stats aren't an acceptable reward for being well rounded, think of something that is. Otherwise, the efforts of the players and the development team were in vain. These aren't solutions so much as they are resigning oneself to the idea that we collectively couldn't figure out how to make many skills and systems fun, interesting, or useful.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 11:09 AM CDT
>>BRHODES Post

+1

I think both options are a huge mistake. People will quit over this.

I will also add that people train everything because skills have fallen in and out of favor so people have learned that it’s better to be prepared. Changing TDPs won’t change this. Anyone remember Shield change? What about the Heavy Plate Warmies that relied on the YS spell to get by. Training wide insulated you from getting burned later and having to backtrain.

Things should be balanced based off the TDPs someone would have if they had the minimum skills required for a given level. If you want to make a level 100 mob, that mob should have stats akin to what a character would have that circled with the minimum reqs. Anyone who has overtrained and has extra stats has done so for a reason - to be extra beefy in combat and ahead of the bell curve. If they murder that mob without a challenge, kudos to them because they chose to go out of their way to train an extra stout character for their given level and I don’t see that as a reason for this massive upheaval. If a guild leader has said the XYZ skills is enough to attain circle 50/100/150, mobs should be designed with that same mindset and anyone ahead of the curve is just ahead of the curve.

Lastly, I will say that DR is a great game because of the amazing flexibility it affords it’s players and making a change like this only takes away from that.

-Nate
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 11:20 AM CDT

Both options are horrible. My only "thank you" is posting it yesterday. I checked this morning and my account was up for re-bill on 7/22. I canceled it just a moment ago.

I have no desire to play this game with the TDP changes suggested. I'm also very tired of SIMU and the GMs rewarding long term players (my account has been around since 2002) by stripping them of their gains that took YEARS to accomplish. Total slap in the face.

I'd rather spend $15 a month on crappy phone games. At least they "appear" to appreciate my business.

-Jondong
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 11:40 AM CDT
>I think both options are a huge mistake. People will quit over this.

I guess the question is what do more people quit over? Those losing the TDPs they had to grind for, or those that never really get engaged because the grind to stay "optimized" is literally insane?

Honestly, I think its still way to early to panic without any sort of actual data on how much this will impact us. I think it will benefit everyone if we could get a projection from the Simu side on where stat levels are planned to be.

>Lastly, I will say that DR is a great game because of the amazing flexibility it affords it’s players and making a change like this only takes away from that.

Is it really flexible? Does removing the sole reason most people train wide make it inflexible? If skill training straight up stopped TDP generation, there is nothing stopping someone for training as many skills as they want. The choice is still there.

I think the overall meta right now is really odd. The majority of people train an insane number of skills not because they want those skills or think that have any value, they train them because they want better stats. I just dont see how the status quo is any good for the game.

Elusive
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 11:41 AM CDT
Alternative For Eliminating TDP’s

I can’t take credit for this idea, but I like it so I’m posting it.

How about if after reaching level 200 you can choose to have your character start a new Guild? He retains the spells/abilities of his old guild but loses all TDP’s and experience.

He starts over in a new Guild and starts accumulating experience and TDP’s again. He can use his old spells/abilities after he meets whatever the thresholds are for utilizing them. In addition, over time he gains the spells/abilities of his current guild.

In my scenario the character can keep doing this over and over if he wishes.

This effectively resolves the TDP issue without getting rid of them.

This offers an elegant and meaningful end game option within the current game. That said I have no problem with other end solutions also being implemented. After all, one reason we play Dragonrealms is for choices, this would add to our choices for our character.

This gives us endless goals. We need goals or the game becomes boring and stagnant.

Yes there is programming involved and perhaps challenging programming since perhaps the programmers have to deal with older existing code but I think the end results would be worth it.

I am sure that there are some who would say well you certainly can’t have a Thief/ Paladin or a Barb/Magic User or a Necro/Anything. Well I would argue that it would be encouraging a plethora of complex role playing opportunities including roleplaying being hypocritical, conflicted, confused and/or crazy.

Would people try to work this to their advantage same as any other game mechanic? Yes, however I think that with thought, that can be addressed.

- Felicini
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 11:50 AM CDT
So, as far as design intent goes, our major goal atm is eliminating the strong incentivzation toward training all skills. If you like to train all skills you could certainly continue to do so, but we do not wish that to continue to be the assumed practice for competitive advancement in the game. If a skill is unfun or unrewarding to learn, it should be targeted and fixed rather than simply papered over with a grind incentive that many of you have at one time or another stated to resent anyway.

Runaway stat growth is something I personally consider problematic but I am not married to fixing it in the near-term future. There are alternative ways to address the homogenity of stats that we can work on down the road if need be.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 11:50 AM CDT
And here we go...

First off, before I touch on the tdp thing, very bad form, very bad business model and a very big middle finger to your customers by having a player post about these changes. It's not their job to do it and it's not for them to get the backlash for doing it. The PM of this game should have done it, or a SGM could have done it, but not a player. Players shouldn't be posting about things that are going to get people to revolt and send all the fire their way. Whether they can handle it or not, it's then them that has to answer the questions that they have no answer to, the can of worms has been opened, answers are going to be wanted but to push it on a player, I don't agree with.

Now...

Let's move on to the tdp thing. The first option, it's gemstone, this is not gemstone, if people like that model, they can go play gemstone. Having to have a spreadsheet to have a way to stat your character I'm going to go with a big no on that one. The second model, though you might think it would be the reasonable one, I don't see it. People will use rexp to max the skills they can gain tdps with and use the all mighty almanacs that keep coming out and that's not going to solve anything either. I do understand the wanting to move away from the train everything blah blah crap but guess what...you don't have to train everything. I'm an almost 200th circle necromancer and I guess what...DON'T train everything, yet all my stats are 100 or above. No one is forcing anyone to train everything, it seems to be a choice. Even with whatever comes, I'm still going to train everything that I train. Why would I want to have only 3 or 4 weapons as my top when I can have all of them? Why would I want to only have one armor to defend myself in when I can use them all? You are also taking away years and years and years of work from people. I haven't played as long as some who have put in 10 almost 20 years into their character. Imagine all the work they did, all the tdps they have spent to have them yanked away? So ok yank them away, refund them...at the end of the day stats are still going to get to 100, and other people's will not. Neither option is an answer, you all should really think this through, think about what it is you're doing and find a better way. I don't vote for either option, but I do hope whatever is decided you'll go with the majority, not the minority that want this change.

Z

I don't feel that I need to explain my art to you, Warren.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 12:00 PM CDT

Maz “tdp changes are happening, deal with it”

Armifer “I’m not married to change it”

So what is it? Can you guys get on the same page before posting?

Amazing the disconnect... probably why PLAYERS shouldn’t be posting about changes.....
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 12:02 PM CDT
>>So what is it? Can you guys get on the same page before posting?

TDP changes are happening. I am not married to it directly decreasing (or increasing) the absolute stat value in the game, but the idea that you are going to get those stats under a different formula is happening.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 12:06 PM CDT
I'd say keep the TDPs and the systems the same but offer a meaningful re-mort option.

I like how this game rewards the grind and personally I enjoy chasing TDPs.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 12:11 PM CDT

So basically a system where you can’t reach current tdp potential?

If my assumption is correct, I’m glad I unsubscribed.

Changing the core game system 20+ years later shows a total lack of respect for those of us who have kept simu afloat for the past 20 years.

Without tdps and the total lack of end game development, there is literally no point in playing past a certain point.

There is NOTHING to do at end game (talking 200 circa end game, not 150 end game) that’s worthwhile besides gaining tdps from random skills. Don’t give me that “team play larp” angle either. The team zone that was made during the necro event was a complete waste of time.

Removing the only carrot at the end of the game without replacing it with something else to chase after is a fatal flaw in your business model. Which, by the way; seems flawed anyway. You’re looking at ways for players to spend LESS time interacting with your product, not more. That’s totally backwards.

Good luck.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 12:18 PM CDT
>>So basically a system where you can’t reach current tdp potential?

So, break the issue into two bits. "How you get stats?" and "How many stats do you get?"

The first is changing.
The second one might change but not necessarily.

>>Good luck.

Godspeed.

-Armifer
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 12:23 PM CDT

Three posts from armifer and each one flops to and fro like a dying fish

Make up your mind and stop with the doublespeak. You’re actually causing more confusion going back and forth

The math doesn’t add up. You can’t have both 1 and 2 as noted below. They will both be fleeced to change if one does

Let’s say top 3 skills get you tdps, well that’s easily maxed out

Let’s say it’s based on guild, race, and circle - also easily maxed out

So tell me about a new system that’s going to be able to afford 120 in a stat?

It doesn’t exist

Tell me why I should continue playing past level 200 besides “it’s fun to RP”

Is there a reason? What would that be?
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/18/2019 12:50 PM CDT
As an early warning, please follow the Forum Policies, making sure to post kindly and maintain a respectful, civil tone tone. I know how passionate we all feel about this subject, and it needs lots of discussion.

But posts that are impolite will be hidden.

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/18/2019 01:10 PM CDT
Hah, this is going about as well as anybody who actually plays the game could have told you guys it would go.

You want some honest advice? Scrap this idea.

There's so many things that can be done to improve this game, why would you attempt to push an idea that you know at least half, if not the majority of the playerbase is going to absolutely hate? I understand that we often have very strong and very different opinions about the direction that this game should head, but things like guild development and increased world events are improvements that almost everybody can agree upon. When you guys throw something like this out of left field it's confusing and it makes me wonder what type of interactions our current GM's have with the game, as this seems to be another clear indicator of the increasing disconnect by staff that players have been pointing out for a hot minute now.

I've got to agree with Zehira as well. Having a player assemble and post this information is incredibly tacky. Nothing against Mazrian, and a big thank you to him for doing it, but why on earth this wasn't assembled and posted by somebody on staff is beyond me. Lyneya even bowed out of discord right after this was all posted after responding to some of the backlash by saying that these were all just "ideas" then immediately deleting her message. She then opted to inform us that she wasn't willing to engage in a "heated discussion" over the topic when pushed for clarification on whether these were just ideas, or something that was already set in stone. If you don't have the confidence in your own ideas to have a productive discussion about them, maybe they aren't good ideas.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 01:13 PM CDT

There was a time when this would have really bothered me, but I've very much "meh" on the whole thing.

I've got a 13 year old character who has trained a lot of skills. My reason to train these wasn't for tdps, it was part boredom, part roleplay around location, and part because things seem to change every few years, and I didn't want to be the guy who had to spend two years backtraining something because a GM decided to change a system. (see plate armor for tert guilds).
I also have two characters that train quite minimal. They hunt a little, craft a little, but in general they are working the basics they need to stay alive and circle.

The difference I find between these is nothing - Neither miss out on anything through not having the skills or the stats, because there is no actual reason to have either in DR anymore. We don't get events where you need to be high level, or need the extra power from that $200 sword.
I'm quite sure that whatever system is in place for TDPs, each time I login, I'll still find no real deep involvement, and I'll still do the same training routines I did before, so "meh".

My reason for posting is to say that I'm against this change - What I'd rather see is development into areas I can get involved in, and choose to do rather than train, in which case TDP systems don't matter at all.

As someone above said, the direction seems to have already been chosen, much like the decision to develop a dungeon game I can play when I hit 150th circle? Honestly, I subscribe to Dragonrealms for it's roleplay scope, there are hundreds of games on my phone that let me build a fortress and defend it. I fear with everything being proposed recently, that we've completely lost focus on why people subscribe to this game, which is roleplay, interaction, friendships, the numbers only matter when there is nothing else to do.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 01:29 PM CDT

“I guess the question is what do more people quit over? Those losing the TDPs they had to grind for, or those that never really get engaged because the grind to stay "optimized" is literally insane?

don’t want to play a grinding game, go play something else

Why are we changing the total game design to appease people who are looking for a totally different experience?

Also - it’s about every rpg has an element of grind. Especially ones online.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/18/2019 01:32 PM CDT
>Having a player assemble and post this information is incredibly tacky. Nothing against Mazrian, and a big thank you to him for doing it, but why on earth this wasn't assembled and posted by somebody on staff is beyond me.

SimuCon news has always been first presented by the players who attended. A comment from Discord by another player earlier hit the nail on the head: "... it's industry standard in both software and gaming specifically to announce upcoming changes/projects at a convention or conference and then not say anything more until marketing for those projects starts. Some fans go to the conferences expressly to report about what's announced. It's far from inappropriate, it's industry standard."

>Lyneya even bowed out of discord right after this was all posted after responding to some of the backlash by saying that these were all just "ideas" then immediately deleting her message.

"Lyneya Last Monday at 5:03 PM
I dunno! It's down the road. We're in the infancy of this idea. Brainstorm phase. This is YEARS of work, but again -- the content we work on between now and then will be pieces that are useable in other places" I chose to not repeat myself.

>She then opted to inform us that she wasn't willing to engage in a "heated discussion" over the topic when pushed for clarification

"Lyneya Yesterday at 10:09 PM
Forums is a great place for this discussion. I don’t want to get into a heated debate at this hour. Please please post your constructive feedback and we will chat on that subject there."

> If you don't have the confidence in your own ideas to have a productive discussion about them, maybe they aren't good ideas.

And yet, here we are discussing them. We're working on compiling some information and past forums discussions to further facilitate that discussion. Stay tuned! It's a big topic and we expect to have a lot of conversation before any final decisions are made.

~ L
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/18/2019 01:34 PM CDT
General observations:

So far it looks predominantly to be high level pvpers most strongly against this. This makes sense, but they aren't the only voice.

GMs have recently been focused on emphasizing PvE group play and cooperation as the direction DR should be taking. Making stats less easy to come by incentivizes working with others to hunt together or provide each other with buffs.

The flip side to that is that just because the only announced change is that TDP points are earned at a different rate doesn't mean that the cost of training stats won't also change. It'd be silly to cut the amount of TDPs by a factor of 3, to toss out a random number, without also making some kind of adjustment to the cost to train stats. The way people are posting about losing all of their stats is hyperbolic.

GMs have been even more focused, and for longer, on characters not being able to max out everything such as with spell slots and crafting. This change is very much in alignment with this, and has been floated for years. so it was inevitable in my opinion.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 01:43 PM CDT
fixing the TDP system excites me more than any other proposed change

we could really create a more fair game with TDPs only gained from Circling + top skill in each skillset. or something similar

can't wait!!
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 01:51 PM CDT
An industry standard? No this was a way that a PM or a SGM didn't get backlash. Maz wasn't asked to do this, he didn't volunteer to do this, he was designated to do this after a 30 hour rough trip home, so good on him for doing it, but still shame on you for not taking on the responsibility of making the post and announcement of something so massive to YOUR player base.

As far as only high level pvpers not agreeing with this, I disagree. As far as the game wanting people to group together and hunt and buff, no, not everyone does that, we don't want to all hold hands and hunt. And sharing buffs...not something I can do with even one, so let's just move on from that as well.

Z

I don't feel that I need to explain my art to you, Warren.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 01:58 PM CDT
<<As far as only high level pvpers not agreeing with this, I disagree

Your reading comprehension needs some work.

<<So far it looks predominantly to be high level pvpers most strongly against this.

Only != predominantly NOR most strongly.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 02:00 PM CDT
I recently (in the past few months) unsubbed from DR. However, with these changes in the wings (especially TDP changes, microsegs, and the RP changes to push for increased player impact), I am strongly considering resubbing. My SO has even expressed interest in getting into the game with these kinds of changes.

You guys are absolutely doing the right thing. Revamping TDPs is something that's needed to happen for years.

My favorite of the two methods is #1. I admit, I involuntarily bristled a little when I saw that it was tied to race and guild. But the free allotment of points to spend as you please makes all the difference, IMO. I was already suffering in the current state of the game because of the S'Kra Mur penalty to Intelligence and Wisdom and my reluctance to train all the things. That being said, I'd be happy with method #2 as well, if that turns out to be the better choice.

People may complain about this and opine that the current system allows for more freedom, but really, there's only the illusion of choice. Instead of being a system where you can train anything you want, you have to train everything or you gimp your own character. And, really, it's just silly. "I want to be better at hitting people with magic, so I'm gonna parkour around the Crossing in a clown suit while playing the zills!" With these changes, if you still want to parkour around the Crossing in that clown suit and play the zills, you can still do that. You're just not forced to do it in order to stay competitive. That's a good thing. With revamped TDPs, you'll be rewarded for engaging in the skills your character would want to train, instead of being punished for not making your character act out of character for a mechanical advantage.

So, in conclusion, I just want to reiterate that this is such a wonderful decision, and that I fully support this 100%.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/18/2019 02:14 PM CDT

<<
SimuCon news has always been first presented by the players who attended. A comment from Discord by another player earlier hit the nail on the head: "... it's industry standard in both software and gaming specifically to announce upcoming changes/projects at a convention or conference and then not say anything more until marketing for those projects starts. Some fans go to the conferences expressly to report about what's announced. It's far from inappropriate, it's industry standard."
>>

When did we start marketing changes before they happen? Other industry events have press covering them. And press packets. And you know are organizing and on top of things.

<<So far it looks predominantly to be high level pvpers most strongly against this. This makes sense, but they aren't the only voice.>>

I don't have a high level character anymore and I don't pvp. It still a bad change that should be scrapped. But yes higher level people would be against it more as they are the ones with the most to lose.

<<
GMs have recently been focused on emphasizing PvE group play and cooperation as the direction DR should be taking. Making stats less easy to come by incentivizes working with others to hunt together or provide each other with buffs.>>

I don't mean to pick on you with this response. But I've seen a small number of players post similar things on the discord.

This is magical thinking. Changing TDPs is just changing TDPs. This isn't some cure all for DR. Hoping some other system gets changed or even fixed to work within a new stat paradigm is hopes and dreams. Maybe it will happen maybe not. Maybe it will take 10 years maybe it will happen the day after. The GMs have 2 decades of unfinished, broken, or never started promised projects. Some of which are things they themselves broke or turned off in the hopes of one day getting to fix.

I'm judging the change to TDPs as itself not based on some flight of fancy systems that are unlikely to ever come out.

What I would like to know is what justification the GMs have for making this change. What justifies taking the time and effort some of the most loyal customers have and tossing it aside? Because all I've seen is magical thinking on the parts of a few players and the GMs themselves that this solves anything. Seems like a lot of risk for very little gain.

~Nexty
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 02:24 PM CDT
>So, break the issue into two bits. "How you get stats?" and "How many stats do you get?"

>The first is changing.
>The second one might change but not necessarily.

I fear many players are going to continue viewing this as a negative change without knowing where stats are going to end up. Its just the nature of the beast in a game where large amount of time is invested into characters. I hope details get worked out sooner rather than so we can start offering criticism based on that data.

That said I am still generally for this change, but reserve my right to change my opinion based on the details.

Elusive
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/18/2019 02:36 PM CDT
<<This is magical thinking. Changing TDPs is just changing TDPs. This isn't some cure all for DR. Hoping some other system gets changed or even fixed to work within a new stat paradigm is hopes and dreams. Maybe it will happen maybe not. Maybe it will take 10 years maybe it will happen the day after. The GMs have 2 decades of unfinished, broken, or never started promised projects. Some of which are things they themselves broke or turned off in the hopes of one day getting to fix.

Oh, I wasn't saying that they're equivalent or that this is some magical fix to change how DR plays. I'm just pointing out this TDP change fits with the current view of GMs in other changes they've made or want to make. I.e. I'm just making the observation that this change isn't a surprise to me given their stated goals. I'm honestly more surprised that something like this hasn't actually happened yet, since it's been talked about for nigh on 10 years. Stats and stat contests have been the red-headed step child of balance and development in DR for ever. Whether this is the right fix or not is up for debate, but I definitely think something needs to change.

<<Other industry events have press covering them. And press packets. And you know are organizing and on top of things.

Other industry events aren't volunteer based, but this is all a meaningless tangent that in the end is just coming across as ad hominem attacks on GMs for some perceived behavior. Simucon information has always been shared first by players posting details of workshops and meetings. Whether Mazrian was asked to post or not didn't even cross my mind, I just assumed that he did it because he wanted to share what he learned like people have always done in the past. People are reading far too much into this in their knee-jerk anger.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/18/2019 02:47 PM CDT
Hey guys.

I just want to be super clear that nobody forced me to do anything and I'm not unhappy about posting summaries of stuff. I was taking notes at the SOE and I got asked to post, so I did. Please don't feel like I was in any way misused because I certainly don't feel that way (though I do appreciate if you don't shoot the messenger. =P).

Thanks guys. It does make me feel good that you've got my well being in mind, too.

Don't feel like you shouldn't post your suggestions and disagreements, either. The best time to do it is now.

Mazrian
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/18/2019 02:58 PM CDT
no forum edit buuuut.

Yeah, after a literal 30 hour trip home I was a little loopy but even at that point, no problem, I was fine with that request and I would have said yes regardless. It just took a couple of days for me to get myself together and do it.

Again, I really do appreciate that you guys have my back.

Mazrian
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 05:19 PM CDT
Just a few thoughts. Changes to the game should bring about positive change, that benefits the health of the game. One of the bigger indicators of that health would be the population of the game. I would just like to point out the results of a few changes. I will admit that I thought the Rexp was a bad idea, but I was wrong on that. It is a good thing, that did benefit a great number of people. Nexus no one really seems to care about, hence the joke that goes, "Well that will be as used as a nexus." The recent Maelshyve event, players left because of it. The impression I got from other players was, "Well this is stupid." With how small this game is, shouldn't we avoid things that actively drive away players? If an update to something drives away five players who have been around for years but draws one new player that would have to be considered a failure. How about we not drive away everyone who plays?
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 05:52 PM CDT
Going to chime in briefly, i don't like either option being presented and am waiting on a GM to post thoughts on why this the current state is "bad" because i reject the hypothesis. no one has to train everything, as was already eloquently posted, many of us did so to mitigate sudden and unnecessary changes that sometimes take place

i did enjoy getting additional TDPs but the main reason i trained wide is to mitigate the impact of system changes in the future, trained all trowns in case one suddenly got nerfed when someone perceived a problem with it. I reject the assumption that most people trained for TDPs, where is your evidence for this?

SIMU needs to think long and hard about every stat contest in the game and adjust all those things BEFORE screwing with TDP generation, not like the hobbled garbage of a barrier system that we currently gutted but have not since fixed.

This is going to be a game changer for me and not in the way of changing my play style.

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
AIM:DamianDR
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 06:05 PM CDT

While I don't particularly like training all the skills I can, I don't particularly like removing the system that's in place either. That being said, option 1 is terrible and would be a grave mistake. Option 2, if it's what is described in Socharis' post sounds like a great plan if it has to change to something. Increased gain for top skills and you still get something for training everything. This probably needs further analysis though to make sure that the potential TDPs remain the same from the old system to the new. That's going to be key.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 06:30 PM CDT

Let me start with I now believe that someone over there has it in for people who play commoners, trying to rid the world of the low-life common masses. Like me.

The proposed changes to TDPs system, specifically the so called "option 1" making TDPs only gained via circles is a horrible idea plain and simple. One you are pretty much incentiving people to do the bare minimum and get the same rewards as someone who put the time in to train equally and evenly. Two you are unreasonably punishing those of us who WANT to play a Commoner and EVEN more so punishing people who don't like circling by running to town etc. As with all previous major changes to the system there likely will be a stats wipe.. so as for someone who doesn't have a circle they would end up with base stats forever.. even with over 15k ranks. Like me.
(Role)Playing as a commoner/peasant is already hobbled quite extreme, such as cant embroider (circle 5 requirement), guards don't allow to access to certain areas (Theren Keep drawbridge), can't "hold" players to make a group, already don't gain TDPs from circling (which I accept and work even harder to get TDPs), no access to the magic systems even with magic skill ranks already learned (which is another issue for another thread), plus many others.
If the idea is the level the playing field and make the system more "fair" (which honestly those you are trying to level it won't matter cause they are already maxed anyways) the only real choice is to leave skill based TDPs in the equation and leave any circle requirements out (aside from gaining EXTRA ones from it, but not being required)

So in closing, be kind to those less fortunate, those who haven't found their way because one doesn't exist.

PS Add a microtrans way for commoners to learn magic ability. Even internal quest to find that shady mage who'd do anything for money. Even teach people to use basic scrolls and runes.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 07:18 PM CDT
>Let me start with I now believe that someone over there has it in for people who play commoners, trying to rid the world of the low-life common masses. Like me.

I think we need to admit that the game was never built to support commoner PCs. That said, one of the options doesnt out right eliminate them as a player path.

Elusive
Prev_page Previous 1 3