Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/18/2019 07:35 PM CDT
A few responses:

SIMU-LYNEYA:
>>"... it's industry standard in both software and gaming specifically to announce upcoming changes/projects at a convention or conference and then not say anything more until marketing for those projects starts. Some fans go to the conferences expressly to report about what's announced. It's far from inappropriate, it's industry standard."

just because it may be an industry-standard does not make it a good idea to leave a player to post and then have no response from your company shortly after that.. sure let someone post about it and then come out with a well-worded post to explain the company position on why you feel this is necessary. you had to have known someone would post about it given that you prepared the meeting agenda.. a response should have been drafted and waiting to be posted after the player post if you, for some reason, felt the need to let the player post it first.

LCAMP2:
>>GMs have recently been focused on emphasizing PvE group play and cooperation as the direction DR should be taking. Making stats less easy to come by incentivizes working with others to hunt together or provide each other with buffs.

That's nice for you, i guess because i play in Plat i'm outta luck since the population here doesn't always support this type of behavior, give some thought to other instances when you make this sort of statement.

>>GMs have been even more focused, and for longer, on characters not being able to max out everything such as with spell slots and crafting. This change is very much in alignment with this, and has been floated for years. so it was inevitable in my opinion.

again, simply because it's been an idea that's been around for a long time does not make it a good idea.

DR-ARMIFER:
>>The first is changing.
The second one might change but not necessarily.

SIMU-LYNEYA:
>>It's a big topic and we expect to have a lot of conversation before any final decisions are made.

These two statements from Armifer and Lyneya seem at odds, a final decision was made, one that says that the TDP earning method is changing. Now, what's left, is for the children to argue with the adults on the details. but this is how it generally feels when SIMU makes decisions.

Tying TDP generation to guild and race is about as far from flexible as things can get, the reason i enjoy this game is because of the flexibility it allows me, wear any armor, train any weapon, as many or as few as you want.

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
AIM:DamianDR
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/18/2019 07:47 PM CDT
<<That's nice for you, i guess because i play in Plat i'm outta luck since the population here doesn't always support this type of behavior, give some thought to other instances when you make this sort of statement.

Making a factual statement about what GMs have been saying about the direction they'd like to take the game? Bring that up with them. I didn't state an opinion one way or the other on it.

<<Tying TDP generation to guild and race is about as far from flexible as things can get, the reason i enjoy this game is because of the flexibility it allows me, wear any armor, train any weapon, as many or as few as you want.

Tying TDP generation to guild and race is only the first of the options that was brought up. Please read the other one, since it is still tied to skills and you seem to have missed it, since all of your responses are based on the first option. Also, there's nothing stopping you from wearing any armor, training any weapon, as many or as few as you want even if TDPs were tied to circle or race.

>>The first ["How you get stats?"] is changing.
>>The second one ["How many stats do you get?"] might change but not necessarily.
>>It's a big topic and we expect to have a lot of conversation before any final decisions are made.

<<These two statements from Armifer and Lyneya seem at odds,

No they don't. Armifer is saying that TDP generation is changing. Lyneya (and Armifer in the second statement of his) is saying that what that actually means in terms of your stats is up for discussion still.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/18/2019 09:14 PM CDT
Option 1 seems appealing to me. I never really paid much attention to TDP except when I circled, and even then I forgot to train using them sometimes.

Inside each of us, there is the seed of both good and evil. It's a constant struggle as to which one will win. And one cannot exist without the other. Eric Burdon
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/evil
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/18/2019 09:15 PM CDT
I agree with Damian that this is a bad move on DRs part. What bothers me the most is the state that this is years (years years years??) off. (cough cough) yeah, resting experience was also supposedly year(s) off too then it was rolled out in what, less than 6 months? Oh I get it, its was IG years off, got it.

I dont roll any chars over 130ish, my main is under 100, I have pvp'ed only 1 time & that wasnt even really a true pvper, it was more a very low level character going against another slightly lower character & a high mana room with a fb that got away. IOW a maybe level 10 fbing a level 6 doing to that 6 slapping the 10 earlier. Yeah, OG times in the first year or so of DR.

Max has spoken as to why he put up the info originally, he was asked too. Granted staff should have had something prepared, especially if it took him over 72 hrs to post it (which I get, dont get me wrong). Any major company planning changes on the scale of this (tdp change) normally has some announcement ready, especially if this is something that has been looked at for the past few months (which it sounds as it has been).

Its always been a case of the "children (us players) arguing with the adults (Zoha,Solomon,GMs of different ilks,etc)" because the GMs have always felt they have the vision of whats best for DR in only their minds. The problem is they refuse to share that vision with us so we can discuss without feeling like its a never ending argument or children vs adults. And we all know what usually happens for adults in an argument, they always win.

I foresee (without being a fortune teller) that this will loss a lot of subscribers & some GMs will be out of a job, volunteers will have a lot more free time, players will find a different game to play (maybe thats what stillfront wants? to push dr players to their phone games?) & after 22-23 yrs DR will finally die.

Pessimistic? Maybe.
I was one of the first players to pay DR for her portrait to be done & put in the SF system. That has mostly gone by the wayside, glad I got a copy of it that I printed out & framed in memory of the happier days.

I've always played my main, a s'kra wm who hates chain & learned lockpicking as her rp was she was a ex thief turned wm. So now I'm going to be penalized again for wanting to hunt alone, wearing leather & being restricted since wms arent usally s'kra, they are elves, humans & loths?

I played from the beginning (95-96) until 2006 when I saw DR taking a IMHO bad turn, so I closed my accts (yes I play several premium accts) until 2017 or so when I came back. Seems like its time to leave completely again.
I already see this being crammed down our throats, since we the players dont know anything but the staff "knows whats best", least thats what the staff seems to believe. Sorry Simu staff, I wont liken this to the days of Solomon but I'm not so sure anymore. The heavy handed approach has never worked anywhere, less here.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/18/2019 10:06 PM CDT
This is a terrible idea. Your guys practically lucked into a system that is insane but keeps people playing. You are seriously going to upend it all?

- Buuwl
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/18/2019 10:09 PM CDT
Mirroring some things brought up in this discussion, I don't really see why this system needs to change. There seems to be a very vocal group that is arguing that broad training for TDPs gives the player some unfair advantage, so I assume this is primarily a byproduct of PvP hyper-focusing. Nobody is forcing anyone to train skills they don't want to train, except for your guildleader. If you're not a Bard and don't want to train Performance Skill, you don't have to. The idea that you should get equal outcome for unequal investment is such a mind boggling concept to me.

Not everyone engages in PvP for fun, and if they do, I was under the impression that there were PvP arenas that normalized combat to make an even playing field. Unless this isn't about consensual, fun PvP at all and more about just being able to kill people.

The people that stand to benefit most from a system that either restricts stat choices, removes the choice entirely, tethers stat growth to race/class/skill choices, or negates the contribution of character development, are the people that want to train 1 weapon, 1 armor, 2 defense stances, and the bare minimum they need to circle. People that want to train fresh murder bots up at 300% efficiency to reach a point of PvP viability and don't want to be hindered by a lack of TDPs - people that want max output for min input.

These options don't break cookie cutters, they further refine them. A DR that's populated exclusively by Gor'togg barbarians, Halfling thieves, Elven rangers, etc. isn't DR.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/18/2019 10:48 PM CDT

Just to echo some of this, it is very disappointed that there wasn't a GM response ready and waiting to go dealing with the proposed TDP change.

<<We're working on compiling some information and past forums discussions to further facilitate that discussion.>>

Why are we waiting until now to do this? Why wasn't that information and a statement ready to go as soon as you knew you were going to be announcing this change at simucon? It's this lack of preparedness that makes me doubt you can pull off a change to such a fundamental aspect of the game. You guys are coming off as disorganized and randomly reactive. I mean come on guys you just had a combat update release, unannounced, at random, that makes it so you have to do a damaging hit to generate exp. That was a project approved years ago that gets released at random like that? It's not a great look coupled with starting this conversation with unprepared staff.

And that's assuming it's a good or even necessary change. It's not.

~Nexty
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/19/2019 01:32 AM CDT
>>Option 1: TDPs as such go away. Instead, characters will start with a stat distribution based on their race and receive points in specific stats each circle based on class and race, and points to spend freely every so many circles. Example: Even circles, points by class. Odd circles, points by race, every 5th circle, additional points to free spend.

- Benefits a new character roll-up, makes a clear defined pathway forward with training to allow for quick gaps to be filled, gives a warm fuzzy feeling that someone is "training hard" and doing "good".
- This option seems to be for the player type that isn't aware of DR's rich history with grinding and becoming a true weapon or magic master and offers instant gratification and less thinking. Some people like this!
- Penalizes diversity for characters by severely limiting or gimping a certain race. For example, it might even make a gnome with maxed strength impossible, or a Gor'Tog with the same IQ as the late Steven Hawkings impossible. Yes, let's bring back the "intellectually disabled" Gor'Tog jokes. We miss those right?
- Barney style of character progression...
- Confuses players who have trained everything and being told that their race sucks now, or hey you won the lotto! Congrats Humans.
- Racist! (jk, kinda though #toglivesmatter :D)

>>Option 2: TDPs remain, but only the highest skill(s) in each skill set counts for TDPs. TDP gain will be scaled and multiplied with that in mind.

- Makes more sense than #1 to me for the sake that it is more "DR branded" of a system and not just some Gemstone 5 prototype. More of the DR look and feel many players enjoy and remember.
- Benefits new players by significantly making TDP stat placement easier when they want to use one weapon, go hunt one critter and spam attack over and over and feel like they "training hard" and doing "good".
- For people who really enjoy a boring style of game-play and training... although new players wont know better and think they are doing great. You might even get people ask if there is a benefit of training all skills and have to explain it use to be like that but they took it away and answer their "why?" question.
- Significantly invalidates HLC players who have settled in this system for many years and have worked effortless to fill gaps where racial "qwerks" had limited them (Gor'Tog Steven Hawkings being possible).

>>When the time comes, Stats will be refunded. To recognize everyone’s efforts in the previous system, there will be new rewards created to spend previously earned TDPs on. Other affected systems such as stat contests, creature stat distributions, and other things are being considered. This is a massive evolution to DR, so Simu wants to get it right.

- Option 1 from the get-go is geared towards a new user experience and really buttoning down and defining what a "maxed out" character should look like, and leaving the community of HLC's wondering WTF they have been doing for the last X years training everything. Doesn't seem like a good way to "recognize everyone’s efforts".
- Option 2 is geared towards not upsetting the existing community by keeping the DR flavor alive, and leaving the community of HLC's wondering WTF they have been doing for the last X years training everything. Doesn't seem like a good way to "recognize everyone’s efforts".

Extra: Now while I am fine with changes (this isn't a customers first change rodeo), this seems like even though its just "Ideas that are years out!" you have kind of damaged current player-base/customers by having them wondering about why they are even playing the game today training EVERYTHING when its probably not going to matter "simusoon" later (like me!). Also, while the ideas are indeed cool, it probably would of been better like 20 years ago versus now. Is it possible this type of change's success ship may of set sail years ago?

Also - I'm questioning if there is an honesty thing here that isn't MTX or Simucoin driven?
- Option 1: (at endgame circle) for a low price of 500 Simucoins, now Tog's can have that +20 Intelligence/Wisdom/Disc boost with the patented brain-booster 9000 so that you can compete with other races!
- Option 2: get people to endgame fastest, lots of neat stuff to buy along the way.. Don't worry though if you need help we got it for 100 simucoins.

Call me a pessimist but I think 100% of 27% of this is a valid concern. Burn down the old player base with the expectation that the new will come yaarrr!

- Anonymous (totally not Sekmeht)

Your mind hears Person thinking, "$* away"
Your mind hears Tikorro thinking, "Dont mind if I do"
Your mind hears Mossyoak thinking, "haha!"
Your mind hears Person thinking, "shift my bad"
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/19/2019 01:49 AM CDT
The GMs are getting blamed for doing the same they do every year, which is also an industry standard. Everyone has complaints, but i'd rather focus on the positive aspects of this conversation.

While sure, i have plenty of complaints about the current system, I am just looking forward to more skills being useful as time goes on. I'm personally interested in the idea that you get TDPs/stat points based on circling.

It would be simple to just take the max amount of TDPs that can be earned, and split them up among circles 1-150 in an increasing amount. Then from 151-200 they exponentially increase, until you hit circle 200 and max your TDPs. you don't lose TDPs, and might be in the negatives for X number of circles. however, circling would become more important. If anything, if you are circle 200 and all of your skills are not maxed out, you will gain TDPs, and if they are already maxed, you don't lose anything.

Now for stats, if the number you could train changes, i would still hope there's some wiggle room and not strict stats like you see in newer RPGs that focus on level and not stats. The other thing i would hope, is that stats a little more meaningful. I like being able to increase my stats to do more damage, swing faster, and carry a crazy amount of stuff. All of that stuff is noticeable, but some that aren't would be Saving Throws or resistance to spells/skills.

In the case circling becomes more important, it would be nice if the almanacs had a higher chance to learn from skills you are using to circle, but only to reinforce it's cost versus the changes. it would devalue if it still treated every skill equally, so just a boost to the chances it increases circling skills would be nice.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/19/2019 06:34 AM CDT

For what its worth, heres my take on the possible tdp changes.

Right now people who want to be good at pvp, end up training everything to get the stats that allow them to compete pvp wise. We're hearing a lot of vocal about the need to train everything to get the good stats, but those vocalists forget their method of play is not the only method out there. I play DR purely because of the diversity of choices you make, on an almost daily basis, about your character. There are no two characters exactly alike. Over the years I've used the example, you could have two characters, same race same guild, whose skills and stats would be wildly different, because of a difference in how they play. One will be training everything all the time, focused completely on their training and very little else. The other will train haphazardly, because their reason for play is to hang out and interact with people and training is not something they give a fig about.

I love DR for the choices, and I dont understand how people assume training your character and 'optimising' them is the only valid method of play. I have a couple of different alts and play them very differently. My thief trains everything and works hard, not because I want to pvp, but because she's bonded to my RL partner, thats how he trains and I want her to be able to keep up with him. My empath is a whole other matter. I do hunt with her and i do train every weapon, but I spend way more time mooching around the game, talking to people and interacting and could care less about skill gain. If she gets enough to circle, cool, if not, well theres always tomorrow. In the time I've had her, she's still barely more than lowest level of the hunting ladder, and i dont obsess even over circle required skills.

I dont see the proposed changes as doing anything much differently, and view them more as response to players complaining about the needs to train everything to get the stats they want. Well guess what, in life choices have consequences. If you CHOOSE to want awesome stats, the consequence is training everything and sacrificing time you could be doing more fun things. Just as the consequence for choosing to not worry about training and spending more time doing fun things is you can't keep up with the guy next door.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/19/2019 07:42 AM CDT

>>When the time comes, Stats will be refunded. To recognize everyone’s efforts in the previous system, there will be new rewards created to spend previously earned TDPs on. Other affected systems such as stat contests, creature stat distributions, and other things are being considered. This is a massive evolution to DR, so Simu wants to get it right.

Ahh yes completely forgot about this statement too. If you want to get it right, don't do it!

Question: Stats refunded, as in refunded to show the effort I put into them in the previous system? Or refunded at the current system of 0 amount given for 0 circles?
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/19/2019 09:27 AM CDT
>>Question: Stats refunded, as in refunded to show the effort I put into them in the previous system? Or refunded at the current system of 0 amount given for 0 circles?

My impression from con was that just like a stat wipe, you'd get your stats reset and all the TDPs put back into your pool. Then you could spend those TDPs on whatever alternate awards were put in place.

Mazrian
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/19/2019 09:39 AM CDT
Another Commoner primary here. This game shines as a skill-based game, not level-based. Option 1 is not desirable, because it turns this game into a level-based game and it nerfs Commoners. I would hate to see Rixie's stats wiped with no way to bring them back up. At least consider an option that keeps Commoners stable.

-Rixie
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/19/2019 05:18 PM CDT
<<My impression from con was that just like a stat wipe, you'd get your stats reset and all the TDPs put back into your pool. Then you could spend those TDPs on whatever alternate awards were put in place.

I specifically remember hearing that a stat respec would occur. So I concur.

Nikpack
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/19/2019 07:39 PM CDT
Never considered the Commoner aspect. Good thoughts.

So the monster has been created because of the SvS PVP aspect of the game. Maybe that should be reconsidered. "Let's solve a problem of our own creation." Woo hoo! The only people that suffer in PVE are those that train stats unwisely, wear no armor, can't type fast enough, refuse to use scripts (not knocking those as it's admirable), ...

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/19/2019 07:48 PM CDT
I debated quite a bit about posting here, but since it keeps being repeated that the feedback on Discord goes nowhere, I felt I should add my opinion.

The strength of DR has been that it is a skill-based game, not a level-based game. In general, any build could be successful, any race can be any guild, virtually any skill can be mastered with enough time and effort by any character. This flexibility is what has created an environment of no "best build" and what has continued to capture my interest. The core of that flexibility is best expressed in the current TDP model.

This is a fundamental, foundation level change to a 20+ year old text game with a dedicated player base who log in frequently and pay you a healthy subscription fee based in large part on nostalgia. Many people have come and gone and DR has changed over the years, but the foundation of the game has remained largely stable. Each time I left and returned, I found some things to be different and in many ways better, but this was built on the back of the core remaining stable. At best this change will create a game I do not recognize and at worst create an existential crisis for DR.

There is a novel worth of half finished, underperforming or neglected projects, areas, guilds and abilities. I can really only think of a few reasons why this would be the change chosen to pursue:

1) a lack of concern or understanding of what the current population considers to be issues and a focus on attracting that ever mysterious "new" population, of which no proof is available that it exists.
2) dissatisfaction that the unintended consequences of the 3.0 rollout + REXP implementation is an accelerated arms race now that even the casual gamer can be as productive as power scripters.
3) a desire to cap the ability for the player to enhance the character in order to promote yet-to-be-released MT stat enhancing items.

Right on the back of promoting these changes (which is either "definitely happening" or "might not be, give your feedback!" depending on which GM is correct), a new lore-specific almanac is released to further promote the current training paradigm already in place. Each subsequent MT event this year has made an extremely expensive, game changing item that is quickly turned into a relic by the time the next is released. The first almanac was made less desirable by the second, the second's strength was the ability to choose and most people would choose crafting skills, and now a lore specific almanac is released. At this point it would be foolish for anyone to invest in this or any skill based MT item.

When this feedback was given on Discord, it was said that the fact that almanacs were going to be released per skillset was never a secret.

>LyneyaToday at 3:18 PM
>We have never made a secret of eventually releasing almanacs for each skill set.

I found no evidence of this on Discord or on these forums. I doubt the majority of those who spent up to $1,000 on the last almanacs would have made that purchase knowing this new almanac would be released.

This latest investment of time and resources from those who are in charge of the game shows me that this is not worth my time or money. The strongest way as a customer to communicate my dissatisfaction is with my wallet, and as such I have canceled my accounts and will no longer contribute my ~$120 per month.

- Hank
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/19/2019 09:44 PM CDT
I don't care to read this whole thread and everyone's opinion. Someone just tell me how many TDPs I'm losing so I can decide to cancel all my accounts now or not.

You were born on the 9th day of the 10th month of Nissa the Maiden in the year of the Crystal Snow Hare, 370 years after the victory of Lanival the Redeemer.

Your birthday is more than 3 months away.

Strength : 104 Reflex : 112 +26
Agility : 130 +30 Charisma : 100
Discipline : 130 +31 Wisdom : 100
Intelligence : 100 Stamina : 102 +20

Concentration : 371 Max : 621

This is TF btw, which shouldn't follow the same stupid rules, we don't care about your RP.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/19/2019 09:56 PM CDT
TDPs Gained: 227603

TDPs and watching the numbers go up are literally the only reason I still play this game, LOL.

Simu better approach this very carefully is all I can say. I'm already seeing tons of core players jumping ship and getting ready to.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) :NUDGE: 07/19/2019 10:16 PM CDT
<<Someone just tell me how many TDPs I'm losing so I can decide to cancel all my accounts now or not.

tl'dr version: We don't know. I think it is too soon to make any type of decision like that.

Long version: The only thing we know for sure is that TDPs and stat allocation is changing somehow, and they asked us to tell them what we thought about two possibilities for replacement systems that were presented in the most general way possible. This, I think, is a large part of the reason people are in such an uproar. There's so many unknowns that it is easy for people to imagine worst case scenarios and freak out. I'm of the camp that doesn't really care and am willing to wait and see what happens. I think it is way too early to be jumping ship over something we know so little about. I definitely don't like option 1 that was presented which scraps TDPs entirely in favor of automatic increases tied to race and guild with the ability to allocate roughly only 20% of our stat increases. There's a reason I don't play GS and it is mostly because of their leveling system which functions in a lot of ways like that option.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes 07/20/2019 07:17 AM CDT
The uncertainty over how (if?) the change is going to be deployed is contributing to all manner of potentially unnecessary concerns. It’s been a week now since this was made public and still I have not seen a concrete plan posted on the official forums by a Simu employee. Can we please see a customer-acceptable version of the design document? I want to be clear this is not a dig on Mazrian for posting the initial info and I appreciate the small bits of info Armifer has provided but:

Based on the (limited) GM posted information I have at this time, I have to conclude I am against this change and in fact reject the premise that it is even necessary. I am open to having a red-name post change my mind.

~Hunter Hanryu
>Everything Rangers have is just a lame version of something cool.~Morkim
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes 07/20/2019 11:43 AM CDT
From Discord:

LyneyaToday at 11:41 AM
From the chat channel with my SGMs:
The more I listen to players talk, the more I feel we are way off the mark with the TDP plans.
I understand the reasons this has been in the overall plan, and if Evan were still here it would have been done years ago ... but he’s not here anymore and maybe we’ve gone in different directions than he would have since then. Maybe that plan doesn’t fit with what we do now anymore.
I need to think more about it.

I am paying attention, guys. I'll still share the reasons we have (will make the time to post that tomorrow), and read through them again myself with that lens.

Necromancer. Scholar. Gentleman.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes 07/20/2019 04:17 PM CDT
Lyneya,

This is what happens when you solicit feedback primarily from a Discord server whose most active population are people who have a vested interest in the current system because they've bought characters or feel that they script in a superior way to others, and would like the system to remain the same because they feel like they have an advantage, despite the fact that the current system is both nonsensical and makes it VERY difficult to get new players into the game. It's about the most pure example of Crabs in a Bucket that you could ask for - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality. There are a lot of people who stay away from there due to the negativity in that place.

I personally think that there are a number of issues that need to be taken into account (the big one being SvS contests), but that ultimately a TDP change needs to happen for the longterm health of the game. And I say this as someone who is high enough and trains enough skills that I will almost certainly be hurt more than helped by this change.

- Saragos
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes 07/20/2019 04:41 PM CDT

With all due respect Saragos, you've not read the responses right here, in the forums, if you think Lyneya only took into account the responses from that discord server. Seems like the majority of the responses here are the same. ANd I'm one of them. I dont think the changes should happen and its nothing to do with scripting or whatever. These changes add nothing to the game and actually just by being proposed have lost several players. Thats a fact.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes (oh god don't hit me) 07/20/2019 04:55 PM CDT
In response's to Armifer's post:

>>If a skill is unfun or unrewarding to learn, it should be targeted and fixed rather than simply papered over with a grind incentive that many of you have at one time or another stated to resent anyway.

I definitely agree with this. Though because this is a game, I encourage the statement to instead be "If a skill is unfun and unrewarding to learn", etc.

Even in the "or" scenario though, please fix the following systems to coincide with your stated paradigm:

PVE Combat
Crafting
Magic training

I'm sure there are a number of other things but I think it'd be a good start to fix those three.

Upon those systems being fixed I would say that revisiting the removal/drastically altering TDPs would be appropriate timing.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes 07/20/2019 04:55 PM CDT
There is a lot of overlap between posters ITT and people in the Discord. Which there should be because this is the place to give feedback.

Mazrian
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes 07/20/2019 05:12 PM CDT
> With all due respect Saragos, you've not read the responses right here, in the forums, if you think Lyneya only took into account the responses from that discord server. Seems like the majority of the responses here are the same. ANd I'm one of them. I dont think the changes should happen and its nothing to do with scripting or whatever. These changes add nothing to the game and actually just by being proposed have lost several players. Thats a fact.

Look, I have some deep concerns about the changes, and in particular I don't like the race+guild idea for TDP's, mostly because of SvS contests. I've got some other issues I'm concerned about for the implementation that I've posted in another thread regarding the relative worth of stats vs each other and guild balance, all of which a TDP change would need to take into account. This is very much a situation where the devil will be in the details.

But I haven't posted those concerns publicly. Why? Because there are no details to argue over. There is no data. We have only the vaguest-of-the-vague idea that's been presented to us. And yet I see people flying off the handle, threatening to quit over... what? I don't know. A resistance to change? Ulterior motives? The one thing we know for sure that it can't be is the merits of the proposal because there basically isn't one. I see people saying this shouldn't happen because only changes that add something to the game should happen, or something to that effect. At this point, we just don't know.

This is the sort of blind negativity that I mean that I've seen start primarily on the Discord. If the point you're making is that it's that's just how the community is now... well, that will be unfortunate.

Once there is an actual proposal, with numbers, I might end up being a vocal opponent to it. And at that point, I think the GM's would do well to listen to player response. But right now I see a game system that I don't feel works well and adds, really, to anyone's experience, if they could just let go of "the way I've always done it". I'm willing to listen to what the GM's come up with and try to evaluate it fairly at that time. Why are so many people not?

- Saragos
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes 07/20/2019 05:17 PM CDT
I personally wish that stats would have stopped at 100 and tdps were used for different things.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes 07/20/2019 07:02 PM CDT
Overall I'm in favor of the proposed TDP change ideas. Here's my basic thought process:

First, we need to build the game that we want to exist, that we think will be attractive to the customers we want to be in the game. Catering to current customers is also important, but if that's all we ever do, we'll end up with just the dwindling population we already have.

The current TDP model greatly incentivizes training everything. Stats affect both PVE and PVP, but more than that, they're psychologically one of the main metrics that make people feel like they're "winning" in a game that lasts decades. I want to get to the highest stats because, well, I'm a human, and it's a number that's tracking my progress. Trying to tell new people that this is the way to "win" is a prospect I don't relish, as I suspect it mostly would drive people away. Even if we can gloss over the "train all" paradigm at first and get noobs going with just a couple of weapons and armor, they will eventually discover the truth and then -- even worse -- they have to backtrain to catch up. It's not fun, and it sends the more casual players away.

So, we should build a game that is attractive to the more casual players, ideally while still remaining compelling to the more hardcore. The hardcore players can still script all kinds of skills and get use out of them, join renown scrolls, or possibly earn other rewards from a broad training regimen (e.g. points toward simucoins or MT events, more reputation, cool verbs and cantrips, etc.). It would be easy for them to continue this way because they're already set up for it.

I do have some reservations about tying TDPs to race and guild, because we all made those choices already, some of us decades ago. No one should be made to feel like they made the "wrong" choice. So option 2 seems like a better choice for that reason. Or perhaps do tie it to race/guild, but grandfather in current characters to a more freeform system? I don't know.

I would also be careful about bringing stats below 100 in the end. Psychologically it feels like a nerf, even if it's balanced not to be. I'd just adjust things so that wherever we end up, the high level folks end up with even higher numbers than they have now.

In any case, thanks for bringing it up here and for listening to player responses.

- Navesi

The First Land Herald -- Zoluren's newspaper. https://elanthipedia.play.net/The_First_Land_Herald
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes 07/20/2019 08:51 PM CDT

<<And yet I see people flying off the handle, threatening to quit over... what? I don't know. A resistance to change? Ulterior motives? The one thing we know for sure that it can't be is the merits of the proposal because there basically isn't one.>>

I mean the reasons to be against it are really, when you boil it down, the same as last time this came up. Or the time before that.

TDPs are a fundamental aspect of how people have built their characters. It has very little to do with power or some fear of change.

Ok, changing TDPs would be like the GMs decided to retcon Necromancers to have always been a-ok with the Gods. Not oh they did a thing so now we can be friends, but they always have been friends. All that character building that you've done for years, the interactions with NPCs and other PCs, poof totally invalidated. That's what many players feel when the GMs want to make changes like this. That's why they don't want it to happen. And no amount of oh it'll be better, oh it'll save the game, oh it'll bring in new players will change that. Some people place a very high value and connection on RP experiences they've had with their characters. Some people have that value and connection on how they've grown their character mechanically. Almost everyone falls into a spectrum along those two points.

So you tell me. Would you be ok with your characters RP growth and experiences being totally wiped out for some nebulous promise that it will make the game better?

<<First, we need to build the game that we want to exist,>>

For most people the game that exists is the one they want to play. I don't play any game in the hope it becomes some other game. Who does that?

<<that we think will be attractive to the customers we want to be in the game. Catering to current customers is also important, but if that's all we ever do, we'll end up with just the dwindling population we already have.>>

If DR is banking on there being a resurgence in the MUD gaming space...I just...I don't know what to say. This isn't a restaurant that needs to change its menu so people start showing up again. It's more like trying to sell a rotary phone in 2019. I mean really? People don't play DR because of the TDP system? And change TDPs to any other system, our magic system, our stealing system, our x system.

It has nothing to do with catering to current customers. There is, even in DR, a point where you are alienating and pushing out old customers in hope you'll get new ones. And not just enough to replace what you lose, but to end up with an even larger playerbase. That sounds like business suicide 101 to me.

<<Trying to tell new people that this is the way to "win" is a prospect I don't relish, as I suspect it mostly would drive people away. Even if we can gloss over the "train all" paradigm at first and get noobs going with just a couple of weapons and armor, they will eventually discover the truth and then -- even worse -- they have to backtrain to catch up. It's not fun, and it sends the more casual players away.>>

When I've tried to get people I know interested in DR or new players in general that I've helped I have never told them they need to "train all". I've told them there is an advantage to doing so, but that it's really not a big deal. I don't feel like I'm glossing it over either. I don't train everything and I do just fine.

Is the TDP system a reason some new players have not stayed. Sure. Others have not stayed because the game doesn't have a built in map. When I try out other MUDs if they don't have a built in map I rarely last an hour in it. Some leave because it's too command heavy, some leave because casting magic is too weird and not like the last game. Some leave because they find the gaming boring. Some leave because someone said something mean to them not realizing they where new.

We can pretend any of those reasons are The Problem and changing those things will suddenly open the floodgates for all the players who are turned off by x y or z.

Or we can acknowledge that people play DR because they like DR. They like the game that exists today. We all want more. We all want more mobs to kill, weapons to swing, ball gowns to wear, places to explore, RP opportunities and so on. But we want all that added to DragonRealms. We want to play DragonRealms not some other game wearing it's skin.

~Nexty
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes 07/20/2019 09:22 PM CDT
> TDPs are a fundamental aspect of how people have built their characters. It has very little to do with power or some fear of change.

> Ok, changing TDPs would be like the GMs decided to retcon Necromancers to have always been a-ok with the Gods. Not oh they did a thing so now we can be friends, but they always have been friends. All that character building that you've done for years, the interactions with NPCs and other PCs, poof totally invalidated. That's what many players feel when the GMs want to make changes like this. That's why they don't want it to happen.

I think that's a really bad argument. TDP's, and by extension stats, are an abstraction that represents our characters' actual capacities. You could change that stat representation around in any number of ways that would preserve both the existing balance of power as well as the concept that "my character is stronger than most", or whatever part of your stats defines your character. Setting retcons are in an entirely different category, and not worth comparing here. If you're actually saying that you have an emotional connection to the specific numbers that display for your character and want to preserve THAT at the expense of improvements to the game... well, I don't think that's a very compelling statement.

> For most people the game that exists is the one they want to play. I don't play any game in the hope it becomes some other game. Who does that?

Almost every single person does that. The number one thing players have been asking for is development! We pay attention to the SoE when information comes out. We want Enchanting and we want it now! It's an endless litany of things that we want to improve the game. Now, there may be a person or two that might claim that the current iteration of DR is nearly perfect, and only needs a handful of things added to it... but I think you'd have almost everyone disagree. Certainly the Paladin and Ranger players would beg to differ. And that leads aside any issues of game balance. Improvements require change. Balance improvements require change.

Now, would these changes actually improve the game? I think they definitely could, if we let the GM's actually give us a real proposal. I mean, come on - the current TDP system IS NOT what drew almost any of us to this game. Seriously, who was looking at MUDs to play and said, "If only one of these games would require me to train slings and a dozen other weapons just to compete, and look like a mismatched clown in my armor!" and then joined DR because, "Yeah man, that's the one that does it! Finally my dream is fulfilled!"

I can't guarantee what the GM's come up will be good, but I want to hear the actual proposal before I get out the pitchforks. I also strongly suspect that the people most strenuously against even hearing about whatever these plans may be are the people who think that they're good at training characters, and that simplifying training will advantage others over them. Crabs in a bucket.

I know you were responding to Navesi with the rest, but while the MUD market is very much a niche market, you can't simply ignore game quality. If bad things can make people quit, good things can potentially make them come back. I'd like to see that. Will TDP changes be good for the game in that way? I don't know. And you don't either, because we don't have any kind of numbers to debate over.

- Saragos
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes 07/20/2019 09:34 PM CDT
<<Ok, changing TDPs would be like the GMs decided to retcon Necromancers to have always been a-ok with the Gods.

This is a silly comparison. A better example is that changing TDPs would be like the GMs deciding to overhaul all of the skills by getting rid of a bunch, combining some and creating brand new ones. We've lived through that well enough, complete with all the worry and angst before it happened.

<<For most people the game that exists is the one they want to play. I don't play any game in the hope it becomes some other game. Who does that?

Head over to the suggestions forum of any game and you will see many examples. And in a way, DR's entire GM staffing model is based off of the premise of players joining staff to help build the game they want to play. If DR had never changed it would be a very different game than it is right now.

<<Would you be ok with your characters RP growth and experiences being totally wiped out

This is where the disconnect I'm seeing is. We know nothing about what is actually going to happen (or even if at this point, based on the quote from Lyneya above) so the whole idea that someone's growth is being totally wiped out is hyberbolic right now. TDP generation was mentioned to be changing with two possible options presented with no mention of how much stats would cost to train or when/if they would be capped, and various systems would be looked at to make sure that whatever stats ended up at would still make sense. If someone wants to doom and gloom that, fine, but it's hyperbole.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes 07/20/2019 09:47 PM CDT
I saw it buried somewhere in this thread, but there was once mention of adding additional incentive to train narrowly, rather than punishing training broadly. If the thought is that a TDP change will be too overwhelming, why not explore that further?

Basically, the fewer skills you're training at once, you gain a bonus to your pulse rate or pulse size or what have you. Maybe even add some other sort of bonus or perk that builds up over time as you train fewer skills. The goal is simply to make it so that training more narrowly seems like a valid option, instead of handicapping oneself.

Now, I know the common argument is, "well, you don't HAVE to train broadly!" but I still don't feel like that should mean training narrowly is "wrong". Personally, I dislike "train everything" from a roleplay perspective: I want to play a delicate elothean moon mage... but I should be brawling? I want to be a plate-clad dwarven paladin... but I need to train leather armor? Or a big burly gor'tog barbarian, and I need to use slings?! You get the idea.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes 07/20/2019 10:15 PM CDT
<<Basically, the fewer skills you're training at once, you gain a bonus to your pulse rate or pulse size or what have you. Maybe even add some other sort of bonus or perk that builds up over time as you train fewer skills. The goal is simply to make it so that training more narrowly seems like a valid option, instead of handicapping oneself.

I want to say a mechanic like this exists already but I can't quite remember if it was a planned thing or actually implemented. Something like if you have less than 10 skills actively moving then your pulse sizes are slightly larger. It's not large enough of a bonus in the current TDP model anyway, since the TDP generation from keeping as many skills as possible moving at the same time trumps slightly better exp in a handful of skills.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes 07/20/2019 11:33 PM CDT

<<You could change that stat representation around in any number of ways that would preserve both the existing balance of power as well as the concept that "my character is stronger than most", or whatever part of your stats defines your character. Setting retcons are in an entirely different category, and not worth comparing here.>>

You are missing my point... Hold on

<<This is a silly comparison. A better example is that changing TDPs would be like the GMs deciding to overhaul all of the skills by getting rid of a bunch, combining some and creating brand new ones. We've lived through that well enough, complete with all the worry and angst before it happened.>>

I grabbed this one too because you also missed my point and I wanted to add one thing. We lost a lot of people when the skill overhaul happened. And for a similar reason.

Ok it's not about the setting and it's not about the numbers or the skills. It's about what those things represent. It's about the time you spend playing a game building a character in a specific way. That's a major part of what forms the bond between character and player. It doesn't matter if you are building with RP experiences or with stats because the bonding doesn't come from those it comes from the doing of those things. From doing the things that make your stats go up, from having a meeting with some NPC. None of the proposals that have ever been made for a TDP change or could possibly work with the issues that GMs have talked about in the past allow for respecting that act of doing.

An emotional connection to the act and time of building is valid regardless of the kind of building that was going on. That's why I asked the question about how it would feel to have all that time you spent growing your character via RP experiences wiped out. It'd be real bad if they did something like that for a whole bunch of reason. But you'd feel bad partly because it invalidates all the time you spent doing it.

That's why people get so worked up about this topic. It's emotional not rational, but not any less valid.

<<I mean, come on - the current TDP system IS NOT what drew almost any of us to this game. Seriously, who was looking at MUDs to play and said, "If only one of these games would require me to train slings and a dozen other weapons just to compete, and look like a mismatched clown in my armor!" and then joined DR because, "Yeah man, that's the one that does it! Finally my dream is fulfilled!">>

I don't know what game it is that requires you to do that, but it's not DR. You do not need to train everything or even near everything to be competitive in PvP or PvE in this game.

<<I also strongly suspect that the people most strenuously against even hearing about whatever these plans may be are the people who think that they're good at training characters, and that simplifying training will advantage others over them. Crabs in a bucket.>>

I can't speak for everyone but that doesn't have anything to do with my objection. I like to think I have a pretty good grasp of DR's mechanics, but I'm super lazy with how I train my characters. I don't use lich. When I log in I use a very old magic training script and lock all my non-combat magics. Takes a while because it only charges cambrinth once so I run out of mana a lot and I'm just too lazy to update the script. Then I use one off scripts to train survivals, and I use one off crafting scripts because mastercraft scares me. I craft even if it is kinda pointless and I kinda hate the system, not because of the TDPs but just because I like being able to craft things in games. I have a real slick combat script that I'll use maybe once a week. And that's of course when I even have time to play. I go several weeks without logging in. I just get busy and DR is just one of many games I enjoy playing.

In fact my highest level character right now is my trader at 24 I think. Nexty doesn't count 'cause he's broken in a way that will never be fixed.

<<Almost every single person does that. The number one thing players have been asking for is development!>>
<<If bad things can make people quit, good things can potentially make them come back. I'd like to see that. Will TDP changes be good for the game in that way? I don't know. And you don't either, because we don't have any kind of numbers to debate over.>>

My point with that was it doesn't matter if they did. Some things are just the game and if you change it you now have some other game. There are things you can add and things you can change and it's still the same game. Not every game is for every person and that's ok. I don't like ESO, the animation canceling in combat is not a thing I want to do. But that's a core aspect of that game, they design around being able to do that. I don't like it so I don't play it. I like how I train stats and gain TDPs in DR, they've designed around it and release things to support that training. It's ok if people don't like that and so they don't play.

And that's to say nothing of the apple orchard of low hanging fruit of ways to make the game more intincing for new players. You'd think they'd pick some of those before they took an axe to some of their old growth oak trees.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes 07/21/2019 04:27 PM CDT

Regarding "adding additional incentive to train narrowly". Thats actually in place right now. Rested exp is its name. You only use up your rested exp timer if you pulse set collections of skills. Training narrow is now the optimal way to train, if you have the hours to spare. If you can be online for 8 hours a day, you want to pulse only 5 of the 10 boxes of skills, then your 4 hours rested exp pot lasts for 8 hours. You gain 3x experience in those chosen skills for 8 hours a day, rather than spreading the load for 4 hours a day.

I also don't think we should be so negative towards "train everything". At the rate people are now flying up the levels with rested exp, we'll all end up training everything eventually.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes 07/21/2019 05:17 PM CDT

> I saw it buried somewhere in this thread, but there was once mention of adding additional incentive to train narrowly, rather than punishing training broadly. If the thought is that a TDP change will be too overwhelming, why not explore that further?

This seems like the best of both worlds. Give people a reason to go broad when they've capped out their narrow focus, and let people go narrow if they want. It also leaves the TDP gain as it is today, meaning people won't be forced into niches for their guild or race choice.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes 07/21/2019 07:23 PM CDT
<< If you can be online for 8 hours a day, you want to pulse only 5 of the 10 boxes of skills, then your 4 hours rested exp pot lasts for 8 hours. You gain 3x experience in those chosen skills for 8 hours a day, rather than spreading the load for 4 hours a day.

This is a case of sounding great on paper, but not being that great in practice. There isn't a way to split the groups in a way that lets you ignore half of them without hindering your characters effectiveness significantly. E.g. of the 4 groupings with weaponskills, the first one has parry, the third one has melee mastery and the fourth one has missile mastery which will all train by default, and you would have to forgo using any blunts or aimed missile weapons. The same can be said of other exp groups too. This means that eventually you're going to want to train some skills in whatever groupings you didn't select so you'll end up just trading the longer exp bonus on half the skills now for no exp bonus on those skills later on. At best this would mean you could use this to focus train certain skills if you really want to push for a circling requirement or have some other goal in mind, but you wouldn't get ahead of the curve overall by doing this.
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes 07/21/2019 08:30 PM CDT
so yeah..

>>This is what happens when you solicit feedback primarily from a Discord server whose most active population are people who have a vested interest in the current system because they've bought characters or feel that they script in a superior way to others, and would like the system to remain the same because they feel like they have an advantage, despite the fact that the current system is both nonsensical and makes it VERY difficult to get new players into the game. It's about the most pure example of Crabs in a Bucket that you could ask for - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality. There are a lot of people who stay away from there due to the negativity in that place.

i have a vested interest in having played a game for over 2 decades and don't have the desire to see something as integral to this game as TDPs changed based on something that i don't see as a problem. let's not throw around generalizations about the population of people on Discord because frankly you can't back them up. Lastly, simply because I have a different opinion than you does not make me wrong. Changing how TDPs are generated is not going to draw new players to a text based game that's 20+ yrs old and is being mostly supported by nostalgia. PvP/CvC should never be the reason for a system change like this simply to make new players feel better about their ability to compete in that system. That's not a good argument.

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
AIM:DamianDR
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes 07/22/2019 01:57 PM CDT
So, I am a new player to this. And while you seemed to generalize that 'TDPs are not what brought most of us to this game' they are what brought Me to this game. To me, TDP's represent a break from the normal shackling of power to some 'level' system. By removing TPD's, and placing your stat gain in the hands of your Circle and your Race, you are directly changing the nature of the game. You are saying to the players that their rank in a guild, determined almost arbitrarily by the guild master, is more important than any hard work they put in outside of training the specific skills to jump through the hoops that said master lays out.

That is what removing TPD's is to me. It is altering the very nature of the game, the very nature that drew me in. Not drew me back after 20 years, but drew me in, as a completely new player, in 2019. I Like TPD's. They are an elegant means of allowing players to have control over their statistic growth. This control allows them to choose in what way their character is strong at what time. And I don't mean 'at circle 20' or 30, or 100, or whatever. I mean at actual time. At 'I have spent 3 months playing this game, this character has aged 3 years'.

Circle is your rank in the guild. As the game currently exists, it is a rough, at best, estimate of your skills, because it is a representation of your character's minimum skill levels in circle relevant skills. This is a good thing, because it fits with the concept of a realistic in character setting in which knowing exactly how skilled someone is is something that is difficult to measure in certain terms. It adds to setting in a way that helps with immersion. It allows assumptions that some people make on arbitrary measurements to be wrong. Which is something that happens in real life often.

This disconnection of power and circle is bad because it can make it more difficult for GM's to fine tune encounters to be challenging without being too much. As long as they look at circle and assume that players are going to circle every time at every opportunity always, then they continue to look at circle as if it's supposed to be a meaningful measurement for them to use in balancing encounters.

Therein lies the problem: These assumptions and balancing efforts are balancing for the minimum end of the spectrum of skill and ability. Instead of using the fact that they have computers at their disposal, that can log information from player's characters with impunity, they base balancing assumptions around minimum requirements to gain rank in guild, or, perhaps guesstimations? Would it not make more sense for them to just log character stat growth over time and chart out where characters actually tend to wind up at particular circles, if they intend to continue using circles as their balancing point?

But there's a second problem as well: I intend to stop circling my character well below 150. Not because I intend to stop playing, but because I don't want to roleplay as some grand high cleric of the church. I want to roleplay as a middling functionary of the faith. Capable of the fine art of raising the dead, and potentially even quite competent, but not chasing the materialistic recognition of the guild by seeking higher circles until he feels ready for them. Ready for the added implied responsibilities and burdens. This, of course, would throw off assumptions of character power based on circle. Which is a good thing.

Why is this a good thing? Because it helps an organic story structure with emergent roleplaying to develop. That's the point of Dragon Realms, isn't it? Roleplaying? Because it feels like a lot of the arguments in this thread have come back around to 'I don't want to be gimped in pvp for not broadly training'.
It's also a good thing because it helps Dragon Realms to differentiate itself from the guts of other RPG's. WoW, at it's heart, is a game that has terribly few choices for a player to make, and from what I've heard, they've been cutting down on how many abilities characters have, which...again, remove how many choices players have to make. For me, it's the main reason I don't play that game. Every cleric, every mage, every fighter, every etc in that game is the same cookie cutter build that's been stamped out. Their numbers are intrinsically linked to their level in such a way that you, the player, make almost no choices when you level up. You can't be stronger than average on your own, the only way to differentiate characters is with Gear. And when you center the game around Gear being the sole determining factor of power, you incentivize a toxic environment to grow.

What does this have to do with Dragon Realms? I don't want to see Dragon Realms being slowly transformed into a crappy WoW knock off, and it feels like removing tpds and linking character power directly to circling in the way one of the proposals laid out is the first step on that path. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've already seen a plethora of much better funded games knock off wow and then burn out and fail. There's even the example of Star Wars Galaxies abandoning what made it unique to try and shift to being more like WoW, and that only wound up gutting the game of most of it's playerbase and causing it to be knocked onto the equivalent of life support until it was shut down to make way for TOR, the game that wholeheartedly knocked off WoW's mechanics from the start. The game might have persisted for years after NGE, but it never had the same vibrant player economy and social structure. Those very things which made it great.

How then, is Dragon Realms supposed to balance end game content for players? It might help to recognize that players are allowed to over train themselves for end game content. It's okay. If they've spent so long making their characters extra fried butter with a side of bacon and cheese so they can heart attack combo the very hungry lich to death, that's okay. If they've spent a minimum amount of time to circle their way up to 'endgame' and want to take on the content as a lean side of beef and feel challenged in doing so, that's okay too. In essence: tweak the content for the minimum circlers and then let the players find their own fun. It's certainly the easiest solution (and doesn't require any statistical analysis of player's characters, but you could still pull that off if you were curious. Just log player stats, the date, and time each time they log in, it's not like you don't already do part of that to effect rested xp).
Re: SOE Roundup - TDP Changes 07/22/2019 02:49 PM CDT
I've been an on again and off again player of DragonRealms since probably 2002ish? First character was rolled up through Zone baby.
I can tell you that most of the off agains came from frustrations of not competing. Spending most of my waking moments training and still not being able to catch up to other people because of school, then college, then work, then family.
If you can't devote an insane amount of time to the game, you cannot compete. I at one time, played probably one of the top 20 Bards in the game. It took years to get there, waking up before work and grinding so when I got in that would drain and I could go train 2 more times for a full 3 drains a day, and boy was it intensive. I got burned out and quit and sold and said I wasn't going to do it anymore because I still wasn't catching up, wasting lagging but wasn't catching up.
From what I've seen, unless you work a job where you can .script at work, you cannot ever hope to match the top end and that's a problem.
I know, from real life, 5 people who no longer subscribe to DragonRealms simply because they felt like the amount of time they invested would never pay off because they'd never be at a point where they could compete PVP wise and they would never be a point where events going on would truly be relevant to them.

How does this relate to the changes?
I honestly think circle chasing should be rewarded with TPDs and our current system should be scratched. I know at least 2 of those 5 people would subscribe again if there became true caps. If there were true caps eventually someone truly could compete with the HLCs currently and you didn't have to devote your life to the game to be a part of the game.

I feel like more people unsub or don't sub at all because they can't devote the time it takes to be truly competitive.

But we spent, we did, we X! UGh! And guess who's going to eventually get too old, senile, or die...that's right the current player base. So if the game doesn't work toward creating a more inviting atmosphere and catering toward a more casual player in a very casual, fast paced world, the game isn't going to outlive you. And that's an even worse lose than your $50 a month subscription and $1000 almanac that you won't buy now.