First time boss name 02/05/2008 07:24 PM CST
More and more lately I have been given the task of dealing with fire maiden off the NTR.
I am at the point where, with judicious (barbarians and paladins would probably say cowardly) hiding and copious use of calm and DO, I have started to take them down.

Until a firecat jumps me.

But I was just now given a task (if this is spoilery info, please hide this post) to "deal with" a specific fire maiden name of Nruyez (and considering my character's name, a rather interesting name to be faced with).

Seeing as I've barely been able to handle your average run of the mill fire maid, I declined the task of handling this specific maid. Has anyone ever had to deal with this particular boss (or do they change each time they are generated?) and how difficult are they compared to your every day fire maid (in this case)?
Re: First time boss name 02/05/2008 07:29 PM CST
>>judicious (barbarians and paladins would probably say cowardly) hiding and copious use of calm and DO, I have started to take them down.

More power to you if you want to play your Moon Mage like a Barbarian, but I don't think there is anything unseemly about playing to your guild's strengths!

>>Seeing as I've barely been able to handle your average run of the mill fire maid, I declined the task of handling this specific maid. Has anyone ever had to deal with this particular boss (or do they change each time they are generated?) and how difficult are they compared to your every day fire maid (in this case)?

Out of curiosity, where do you go to get tasks? I am probably well above the point where tasks are supposed to be rewarding or challenging but I wanted to run a few anyways. The "boss fights" you mentioned in particular sound interesting.
Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror.
Re: First time boss name 02/05/2008 07:33 PM CST
Anthelorm and Fara (both in RH) give Boss Tasks. Anthelorm only gives those tasks and so is probably the better bet if you're only looking for bosses.

Bosses are a slightly better version of the standard creatures in the area; the name is random with each task.

Oh, and the names in Prime and Plat should be quite obvious where they came from with a bit of thought :)

-GM Obseden
"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven."
"Anything's possible. Especially since I'm rewriting the system."
Re: First time boss name 02/05/2008 07:44 PM CST
RH= River Haven?
Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror.
Re: First time boss name 02/05/2008 07:49 PM CST

<<Oh, and the names in Prime and Plat should be quite obvious where they came from with a bit of thought :)>>

the names in TF are ... rather unique... as well...

one issue i have though, whenever it wants me to fight a bristleback pecc <either bosses or just eliminate 24 of them <agonar or mo try to get me to fight celepeze too - no thanks, guys >, it tries to send me to m'riss. don't they know bristlebacks are in rossmans, too?

schvartz

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: First time boss name 02/05/2008 08:05 PM CST
yup. ant is the gemseller, fara the furbuyer in haven. and they give tasks.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: First time boss name 02/05/2008 08:35 PM CST
>> it tries to send me to m'riss. don't they know bristlebacks are in rossmans, too?

I'm sure they know it, but I...uh....chose to send you to M'Riss. Yeah, that's it.

I'm hoping that with the reshuffling that will occur with the Dev reorg I'll have some more time to solicit player ideas with regards to new critters and locations for the tasks.

-GM Obseden
"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven."
"Anything's possible. Especially since I'm rewriting the system."
Re: First time boss name 02/10/2008 09:57 AM CST
>>Oh, and the names in Prime and Plat should be quite obvious where they came from with a bit of thought :)

Well then, I am glad I made that connection. How fortuitous for me, again, considering my character's name.

Regarding the task system, besides the coin I've made from the system, I have to say I've gotten quite a bit of experience gain from doing several of the tasks. There does seem to be a timer of sorts in re the amount of coin you gain from a task. Perhaps it is tied to the task giver or how many times you've done a particular task for the task giver. At times the payments can be a little, well, low in return for the effort expended in completing the task.

Still, I have found the task system to be one of the more enjoyable aspects of the game for me. Gives me a small sense of mission or goal besides circling. Basically a goal to meet within the circle I am in as it were. I'm still learning to RP effectively (at least in my mind) and so I tend to be rather reclusive in game as I don't want to seem to be a complete newb. The task system for some reason makes me feel like I am participating within the Elanthian world, not merely reacting to it from the outside.

I should also say this was the first time I've asked Anthelorm for a task as well, so it was nice to be offered the boss task. It's just that my character is not ready for such a task. I once was give a task of killing just 6 snow wolves and that took me nearly 2 hours and one death to complete - and I got less than 5 silver for it! Still, it did provide me with a rather excellent lesson in the abilities and limitations of my character. It also led me to try out different methods of using those abilities to complete that task and keep from dying. Methods I now effectively employ to take down at level critters faster and more entertainingly.

Not sure where or if the task system caps out based on your character level, but for me in the 20s range it has been and is an enjoyable and useful system to participate in. Any additions to the system I could think of now is to expand the number of NPCs you can get tasks from (Gylwyn for instance does not give tasks) and perhaps kill tasks between taking out rats and taking out critters that are 10 to 20 levels over you would be nice. But overall, a truly enjoyable system as I've said and worth investigating and playing.