Prev_page Previous 1
TM Research Dummies 06/17/2014 07:48 PM CDT
{A.K.A Targeted Magic For Dummies, published by Gnome Toilet Time Reading, Inc.}

I'm somewhat suprrised to declare first off that something for TM Research is actually due to word-of-mouth popular demand. So, okay, here goes....

-Official Order Houses (as a nice perk for the public to bring people together) may have in their training yards/rooms Targeted Magic Test Dummies (furniture like archery targets) that allow for Targeted Magic Research to take place there.

-The catch is that this is a risk to your nerves but that's it- upon a breakthrough if you pushed yourself too much you may have fried your nerves to varying degrees but nothing worse than that.

Hopefully this chance of nerve backlash would start kinda small but increase with each successive RESEARCH project done within a certain time frame. Hopefully this will prevent any thoughts of unreasonable exploitation rather than expected and respectable use while hanging with your Order mates or talking to a prospect about your group.

- Test Dummies may even need charging like cambrinth to function as a nice Arcana use tie-in. Implementing this side note would also add to the appeal of the Seal Cambrinth spell if it would also apply to the target dummies.

Okay, I'm steeling myself here but..{gulp}... thoughts?
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/17/2014 07:56 PM CDT
I like the gist of this idea.

Honestly, I'd prefer it if most training was done this way. You know ... like actual training. Then the difficulty/consequences of actual combat could be raised significantly, to make each battle a more memorable experience rather than just crushing hordes of generic monsters ad nausea. Combat is pretty meaningless in DR as things stand, like it is in most games. S'why I find it one of the most boring parts of the game. Moving training exercise to actual training fields/rooms would free up combat to revolve around more meaningful events than simply, "I need to practice my sword arm, time to go cleave 100 more goblin skulls."
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/17/2014 09:25 PM CDT
The reason there's no TM Research is because combat things should be trained in combat.

This isn't really combat. The fact that the biggest risk you face doing this is a rather inconsequential wound doesn't really sell any kind of risk that relates to combat.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 03:23 AM CDT
Somehow knew that was coming. I think we are just simply philosophically opposed on that, Tev. I know that in RL training meant a heck of a lot- like live or die heck of a lot. Also, combat could be made a lot more dangerous and thus interesting with more things like this, too- fine point, there. Added perks are that its Order houses that get it (yay for reasons to visit an Order house!) and this would bring people together in a severely-far-too-solo (IMO) multiplayer game.

That said, the punishment to prevent exploitation could stand to be tweaked. I'm not trying to propose a total freebie here.

ICly... its a training yard. Optimally, you shoot targets to learn archery there, you use the sand pits to spar and learn Brawling, and you cast spells at crystaline dummies while roleplaying talking to elder mages about ways to cast said spells better and why one elder prefers lightning and the other fire.

To be clear, I do not want to make this MORE appealing than learning in combat. That is definitely the better teacher in any world. I don't mind if the TM Research projects take a really darn long time. 'Combat only' as a rule about learning is just..... limiting, right now.

Sometimes combat is downright boring- especially alone. It becomes magnitudes, and I mean magnitudes, more entertaining, at least for me, in a group but that is often not possible. With this you could talk to fellow mages and learn some combat together even if your ranks are too far apart to be able to hunt together yet.

Again, any potential coaching-type RP for the Orders themselves, too, is also a plus.

This was thought up after listening to lots of folks talk about wanting some kind of TM Research after all - my pallie learns plenty Rebuking things still but I'm far, far from uber TM ranks yet. It didn't really cross my mind initially at all. I don't make such assertions up. I was a little surprised by this request for thought.

I suspect at least some will have fun with it and, philosophical design principles aside, I would like to know if enough people would have enough fun with this to justify a Return On Investment.
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 03:36 AM CDT
Some of my fondest memories of the early days of DR were as a young warmie hanging out in the earth room of the old tower, getting classes and practicing magic. It'd be sweet if weapons and armor could be similarly trained in a very social environment, and in some way that's more active/involved than the TEACH command.

Balance it however you like.
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 08:20 AM CDT
>The reason there's no TM Research is because combat things should be trained in combat.

Why is it you can learn TM from a class without being in combat? Riddle me that.
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 08:33 AM CDT
It's not that you aren't supposed to be able to learn it out of combat, it's that you aren't supposed to be able to practice it out of xombat. Research isn't reading a book, it is physically messing with stuff. TM research would in theory require something you were fieing at while you tweaked the targeting matrix. If you are already learning TM just from casting at the thing though, research becomes superfluous.

If you are out of combat and wanted to do TM research, you would need something to cast at, and research by shooting fire at things, well, Mibgluc tried that.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -

- I maintain the Warrior Mage Beginner's Guide at:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 08:35 AM CDT
As far as TM practice dummies/targets, the WM guildhall has that already.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -

- I maintain the Warrior Mage Beginner's Guide at:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 09:43 AM CDT
>>I know that in RL training

This isn't RL training.

The general cornerstone of current GM combat-training philosophy etc etc etc is that, outside of teaching classes, you don't learn combats outside of combat.

>>Why is it you can learn TM from a class without being in combat? Riddle me that.

Because that's the exception to the rule, but you already know that. We can also teach a class on evasion. MIND BLOWN.

>>It's not that you aren't supposed to be able to learn it out of combat, it's that you aren't supposed to be able to practice it out of combat.

The more strong reality is just that there's a disinclination to allow people to train combats without risk outside of teaching.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 10:31 AM CDT
>The more strong reality is just that there's a disinclination to allow people to train combats without risk outside of teaching.

Except, of course, if you learn it in a class. That way is perfectly fine to allow people to train combats without risk.
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 10:45 AM CDT
>>Except, of course, if you learn it in a class. That way is perfectly fine to allow people to train combats without risk.

You can keep banging that gong but I strongly doubt that means people will be able to RESEARCH HEAVY EDGE anytime soon or that GMs will be expanding ways for players to learn combat skills outside of combat/without risk.

Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 10:52 AM CDT
> >The more strong reality is just that there's a disinclination to allow people to train combats without risk outside of teaching.

> Except, of course, if you learn it in a class.

Ahem.

I suspect the reason for this is a combination of not wanting to devalue Scholarship and not objecting to something that encourages some player interaction.
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 10:55 AM CDT
>>I suspect the reason for this is a combination of not wanting to devalue Scholarship and not objecting to something that encourages some player interaction.

Yep. Keep in mind that clerichax isn't really doing anything but trying to argue with me because I said something, though, so it's not like he really disputes this point.

Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 02:26 PM CDT
<Yep. Keep in mind that clerichax isn't really doing anything but trying to argue with me because I said something, though, so it's not like he really disputes this point.

I don't think this is the case. I think he's got a good point.
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 02:48 PM CDT
It's basically making the argument. "Staff doesn't want you learning combat skills out of combat with 0 risk, except for when you want to learn combat skills out of combat with 0 risk if you preceded the action with listen."

Sounds pretty silly when you put it that way.

P.S. Don't flatter yourself Lemmingblade, this isn't about you.
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 02:48 PM CDT
It's a good point; Combat skills really shouldn't be teachable.
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 03:14 PM CDT
Or, and this is really dependent on DR actually being friendly to the concept of group hunting, which it most certainly is not, combat skills should only be able to be taught while in combat. Just like non-combats are only able to be taught while not in combat.

Que "HELL NO" posts in 3...2...1...

If you act like prey, do not blame me for acting like the predator I am.
DR_Shaidval @ AIM
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 03:27 PM CDT
<Combat skills really shouldn't be teachable.

I don't understand how anyone can come to this conclusion.
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 03:30 PM CDT
>>I don't understand how anyone can come to this conclusion.

Because DR is a competitive game. If you want to kill me you should have to earn your killing ranks the hard way; Not from sitting around in a sewing circle and trading stories.
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 03:31 PM CDT
<combat skills should only be able to be taught while in combat. Just like non-combats are only able to be taught while not in combat.

I agree that performing certain actions while in a class probably shouldn't be possible. For example, it makes zero sense to be in a class about heavy edged while you're also focusing on a runestone, casting augmentation spells, and collecting rocks. The only actions that should be available while in a class are actions related to that class, or perhaps performing outside actions will cause a penalty to the learning rate of the entire class (William! Stop disrupting class! Don't make me get the yardstick!)

That said, regarding combat-oriented classes, it really shouldn't matter whether you're slicing at a live goblin or at a target dummy. I'd actually propose that the target dummy would be better for instructional purposes (bonus to teaching if using appropriate teaching tools?)
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 03:34 PM CDT
I think its as simple as this. As a general rule, you need to be in combat to learn a combat skill. Teaching is a rare exception because requires another character to spend time teaching, and removing combat skills from teaching would overly devalue the Scholarship skill.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 03:35 PM CDT
<Because DR is a competitive game.

That logic in regard to learning speed only really works if there is no skillcap. If the game were a race to get to the skillcaps then there'd be a game over, you win screen when you do get there.
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 03:36 PM CDT
<Teaching is a rare exception because requires another character to spend time teaching

Not to mention the all-important social aspect of the game. It is a role-playing game, after all. The RNG part is the means, not the end.
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 03:37 PM CDT
Unless you're playing The Fallen, of course. Isn't that what it's there for?
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 03:44 PM CDT
>>That logic in regard to learning speed only really works if there is no skillcap. If the game were a race to get to the skillcaps then there'd be a game over, you win screen when you do get there.
>>Unless you're playing The Fallen, of course. Isn't that what it's there for?

I'm not talking about competitive as in who can hit the rank caps first.

I mean competitive as in those ranks determine which of us can beat the other one in a fight. I feel like you should have to stomp things to compete with the people who've been out there stomping.
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 03:48 PM CDT
>I think its as simple as this. As a general rule, you need to be in combat to learn a combat skill. Teaching is a rare exception because requires another character to spend time teaching, and removing combat skills from teaching would overly devalue the Scholarship skill.

The whole argument of why you shouldn't be able to learn combat skills such as TM and Debilitation via Research because it poses no threat and combat skills should be done in combat is invalidated because that's exactly what teaching does. The fact that it requires another person or it would invalidate Scholarship doesn't remove the main point of the argument, "Zero risk."

It's contradictory.

"Hey Mom, can I walk across the street to 7-11 for a slurpee?"

"No, it's too dangerous on these streets at night."

"OK, I'm going to walk over to the basketball court instead."

"That's nice dear, have fun."
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 03:49 PM CDT
<I mean competitive as in those ranks determine which of us can beat the other one in a fight. I feel like you should have to stomp things to compete with the people who've been out there stomping.

That's fair enough. I just feel like there should be more immersive ways of learning. The notion of slaughtering 100 rats, and then slaughtering 100 goblins, and then slaughtering 300 eels and calling it "training" is not only pretty boring, but it breaks immersion. Adding a more social way of training that actually resembles, you know, training ... well, I can only see how that would be a good thing. Really, I think that the best way to approach the original post is to expand and modify the TEACH command to include appropriate teaching tools (classrooms, magical items, target dummies, whatever makes sense) and apply bonuses/penalties for actions based on how on-topic they are.

I dislike being able to do a million and one non-related-to-my-class actions almost (but not quite) as much as I dislike slaughtering critters by the dozens every other day. Seriously, goblins should be extinct by now.
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 04:06 PM CDT
>>I don't understand how anyone can come to this conclusion.

I think the point being made is that treating "yeah well you can listen to a TM class and that isn't risky so there" as a gotcha moment of hypocrisy (instead of a grandfathered thing with its own justifications) is more likely going to cut off learning combat skills via a class than make GMs reverse a decision that is a lot more modern and agreed upon by staff.

Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 04:10 PM CDT
<"yeah well you can listen to a TM class and that isn't risky so there" as a gotcha moment of hypocrisy

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't believe that's at all what I've been trying to say.
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 04:11 PM CDT
>It's contradictory.

Yes, exceptions usually are. The point I think Tev is trying to get across is that the current Dev team seems to be following this rule, and suggestions for training combat skills out of combat are likely not going to get much traction with them. I know this isnt the first suggestion of this type to ever have been made, and its most certainly not going to be the last. But, barring our debated teaching exception, none of them have produced systems to allow combat training outside of combat to date. That said we can continue to argue about it more if it makes you feel better.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 04:14 PM CDT
>I think the point being made is that treating "yeah well you can listen to a TM class and that isn't risky so there" as a gotcha moment of hypocrisy (instead of a grandfathered thing with its own justifications) is more likely going to cut off learning combat skills via a class than make GMs reverse a decision that is a lot more modern and agreed upon by staff.

It's a poor argument when a reason is given yet it's contradicted by something that already exists.
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 04:27 PM CDT
>> The point I think Tev is trying to get across is that the current Dev team seems to be following this rule, and suggestions for training combat skills out of combat are likely not going to get much traction with them.

Yep.

>>It's a poor argument when a reason is given yet it's contradicted by something that already exists.

As I said, if you're going to use "but teaching can do it!" as a cudgel, you're most likely going to just convince the GMs to revisit allowing teaching to be a grandfathered exception, not open up more options.

Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 04:30 PM CDT
<It's a poor argument when a reason is given yet it's contradicted by something that already exists.

While this is true, I think that the more important point is that the current way of learning combat (outside of teaching) is currently extremely antisocial, extremely repetitive, and extremely immersion-breaking. Once again, I can't speak for anyone else, but training combat skills in DR is currently the most boring thing in the game because of the above reasons. Adding in a more sensible and immersive training system would then free up any time spent towards further combat development to go towards making it more immersive, more competative, more dire, and more exciting. Risking your life for some worthwhile, tangible goal, rather than just another mindlocked skill. Not only that, but it advances the social aspect of the game, which is always a good thing where I'm concerned.

I really only see benefits to expanding on the TEACH command and making it better. What I don't see are drawbacks. The Lore skillgroup may have improved dramatically with the addition of crafting, but it's still in really bad shape compared to weapons, magic, and survival. Only skillgroup that's in worse shape is Armor.
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 04:31 PM CDT
The teaching system is a system with a skill largely dedicated to it that many guilds require to circle (That use to be two skills, one specifically dedicated to it, that many guilds required to circle...) that is entirely about passing experience from Player A to Player B. It is one of the small actual mechanical benefits to spending time with other players and it does the job of letting Player A pass experience to Player B fairly well.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 04:40 PM CDT
>As I said, if you're going to use "but teaching can do it!" as a cudgel, you're most likely going to just convince the GMs to revisit allowing teaching to be a grandfathered exception, not open up more options.

I'm not for or against TM and Debilitation usable through a research project. I'm simply pointing out how contradictory the reasons for why it can't be. I learn all those skills I'm combat and have no use to ever use research for experience purposes.
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 04:45 PM CDT
Teaching is self limited to a single skill (plus scholarship).

Imagine if you had a way to train 40 combat skills at once, risk free, outside combat. You'd see every character sitting there spamming the same scripts while teaching.

Currently you can learn one, single, combat skill outside combat at a time. That's apparently not game breaking. Each combat skill you allow to be learned outside combat, has to account for teaching in addition to its use.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 05:00 PM CDT
All this talk about risk is not only tangential, but also kind of silly in my opinion. Since I've been back I've been trying to get used to the new death mechanics. I've made it a point to die without favors, just to see how bad it could be. Frankly, Death's Sting should be called Death's Tickle. Calling dying a risk under the current mechanics just seems like hyperbole to me. I have literally considered dying without favors rather than running to the Empath's guild to get healed simply because dying can be less painful than dealing with the sort of people who hang out on Magen Road.

That said, if you (whoever "you" are) actually do find it risky for some reason ... well, I don't know how to respond to that. There is some small risk, I suppose, but it's so small as to be laughable.

All of that is only tangentially related, however, as the discussion is on improving training methods. Unless I'm mistaken?
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 05:00 PM CDT
The issue of being able to train combat skills without the risk of combat isn't why targeted magic and debilitation are excluded from the research system. It's because they're not what the research system was originally designed to address.

The research system (and symbiotic casting) are intended to fill in gaps in spell trees. (Granted, there may be other functions down the road.) Often, guilds do not have sufficiently difficult augmentation, utility, and warding spells to cover the entire training ladder. This is especially true at high levels, where learning requires you to cast esoteric spells with as much mana as you can pull off. Rather than releasing a bunch of poorly developed spells just so people can continue training, they added the research system.

Research also addresses another issue that players have complained about: having to spend spell slots on spells that they don't really want just so that they can train magic skills. For a much smaller spell slot investment, you can use research and/or symbioses.

Targeted magic and debilitation lack these issues, because difficulty is increased simply by casting at a more challenging opponent. There are enough rungs on the hunting ladder to train those skills at any level.

"As noted in other places, RESEARCH should help close the gaps where you can't or don't want to use a spell for training." --GM Socharis (12/14/2013)

"For now, at least, I think TM, Debil, and Sorcery are in a good enough place that we don't need to enhance them with 3.1. That doesn't mean that there aren't enhancements to RESEARCH or additional Symbioses that could be used to enhance them in the future - Just that right now, they're good enough." --GM Socharis (12/14/2013)

"Yeah, but [targeted magic is] trainable, which is more than can be said about aug, ward, and util right now. I'm not saying we're done with TM, just that adding new stuff to RESEARCH and the Symbiotic Magic system to support TM isn't something we plan to do right now." --GM Socharis (12/14/2013)

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 05:19 PM CDT
>>All this talk about risk is not only tangential, but also kind of silly in my opinion.

You can feel it's silly/tangential, but it's part of the whole reason why.

>>The research system (and symbiotic casting) are intended to fill in gaps in spell trees.

They exist for that purpose, but I'm pretty sure TM and Debilitation weren't included was because of the "only in combat" thing. I know you quoted other parts explaining why, but I'm rather certain there's the whole combat risk thingy going on, as well.

I'm pretty sure there was a discussion at some point where Barbarians were going to get meditation research things to move debilitation (or did they temporarily get them?), and the "learning combat things out of combat is a no-go" was the reason cited why.

Re: TM Research Dummies 06/18/2014 06:06 PM CDT
>Isharon's response

See, now that's a legitimate reason! That's a perfectly non contradictory answer which actually makes some sense!
Prev_page Previous 1