Prev_page Previous 1 3
Breaking and Entering in Test 01/01/2020 11:19 AM CST
Some info:
- The system takes advantage of the new BURGLE verb. It should only work in justice areas that are outdoors.
- You need some method of entry, either a lockpick, lockpick ring, or a heavy rope. This will determine the entry method experience you get.
- Survival skillset placement has a significant impact in multiple ways, including chance to find a piece of loot from a surface and cooldown*.
- All houses contain a Kitchen and a Bedroom.
- Each primary skillset unlocks a different room*. For example, having a Moon Mage and a Barbarian will unlock two additional rooms, the Study and the Armory.
- Survival primary behaves slightly differently*. Each Survival primary in the group unlocks a random room that isn't unlocked, and increases the entry method experience. Enough Survival primes will allow you to learn both entry method skills.
- Entry method experience is granted on exit. You get half experience if you are caught in the home, or exit the home with a guard in the room you started in.
- You gain experience from SEARCHing or RUMMAGing through each surface in the rooms, Thievery and Stealth (if you're hidden/invisible)
- Thieves will want to make use of some Khri. There are three Khri that give an advantage, but I'll leave it to you to experiment.
- Premium subscription provides a few bonuses. It reduces cooldown and increases chance of loot slightly.
- There is a new AVOID CRIME setting, which prevents people from leading you into a B&E instance, even if you're in their group.

Some warnings:
- Failure is determined by the player doing something wrong, there is no random. The fine for being caught is fairly high.
- Stay out of sight. Either dark of night, or stealth is required.
- Don't linger. Unless you're a very fast Thief using all the Khri advantages, you don't have time to get loot out of every room.
- Don't do it too often. There's a message when the cooldown expires.

*F2P Characters don't grant extra rooms, and they don't grant lower cooldown for better survival skillset placement. They also have a very low chance of finding loot, even using Khri.

There were also some unreleased AVOID changes to AVOID COINS being given to you, that are in test due to the other changes to AVOID.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/01/2020 11:42 AM CST
Woooooooo!

Once I've shaken off the hangover I'll totally check that out in Test and see what I can break
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/01/2020 12:07 PM CST

That sounds pretty cool and seems like an interesting but not overly complex system.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/01/2020 02:28 PM CST
Some quick feedback:

64 plat fine? Is this right? This is WILDLY high, unless we're going to be making a ton of money.

Instances don't seem to be really instanced. I keep running into people, which seems to be breaking things:

[Empty Room]
Obvious exits: none.

This happens in the middle of B&E, with no indication it's happened.

Not finding anything when searching:
Perception - 761.97
Stealth - 755.02
Locksmithing - 509.55
Thievery - 439.48

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors." -Raesh
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/01/2020 02:29 PM CST
Initial testing of B&E:
-Getting stuck in completely empty rooms, have to test jump out of there. This is experienced when I move to a new room and are about to rummage a surface.
-EXP isn't always gained from attempting a run.
-I think the fee's are extreme (Ranging from 17-62 plats)
-The EXP was gained once for one run and it was fine but for the fines from getting caught, make it not worth my time.
-I haven't gotten a single piece of loot from 5 runs.
-Also didn't work to go in as a group (tried as a 2 person group).
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/01/2020 02:30 PM CST
burgle
Meliodaas says, "Or a lockpick in your right hand."
>
You hear a hungry squeaking sound coming from the direction of the pond!
>
*A town guard walks in, glancing about with a false look of boredom on her face.*
>
The spirit of the cheetah surges through your veins!
>
"Stop right there!" The shout reverberates through the area as the guard charges towards you. "You're under arrest!"
After a weighty pause, the judge speaks, "Hanryu, you have been found guilty of thievery in the Principality of Zoluren. It is with a solemn hope that you will change your ways that I pronounce a fine upon you of 62 platinum, 7 gold, and 9 silver. If you cannot pay immediately, your things will be held until you can repay the debt to society that you owe. Failure to come up with the money within twelve days shall result in a forfeiture of your possessions, and their intrinsic value removed from your debt."

Really? The game lags between me typing `burgle` and the command going though long enough for a guard to walk in and bam I have 63 plat worth of fines. I hope this is not the intended mechanic and I hope that the fines are off by two 0's because no amount of learning is worth double-digit plat fines.

~Hunter Hanryu
>Everything Rangers have is just a lame version of something cool.~Morkim
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/01/2020 02:38 PM CST
Looks like avoid crime is on by default, but does not show up when you do "AVOID":

> avoid
AVOID flag settings: (! means no.) Example AVOID JOIN allows joining, AVOID !JOIN disables the ability of others to join you. AVOID !ALL sets them all to NO, AVOID ALL clears them all.
JOINING DRAGGING
HOLDING TEACHING
WHISPERING DANCING
TOUCHING
[Thief Only]
SINGING or SIGHING (Either will block both.)

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors." -Raesh
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/01/2020 04:06 PM CST
You do get more time for each extra room you unlock, so teaming up will give you a bit more time. I'll think about speeding it up a little, but it likely won't be a large speedup if I do anything.

I did say the fine was high. It can be avoided by getting in and out quickly.

AVOID should now show you the new options.

I added a message when you're close to being evicted.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/01/2020 05:00 PM CST
Was doing some testing with another survival prime (ranger + thief) and it seemed like we got LESS time than solo. I'll clock it when we can both test again.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/01/2020 05:41 PM CST
> - Don't do it too often. There's a message when the cooldown expires.

How long are we talking here? Because I've been waiting over an hour. Survival tert, standard subscription.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/01/2020 06:02 PM CST
Nevermind, somehow I missed the messaging much earlier.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/01/2020 06:48 PM CST
>How long are we talking here?

It should be two minutes from when you enter, in Test. It will be much longer in live instances.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/01/2020 06:58 PM CST
I'm really enjoying this. Before the warning message was added in I felt like I could only search one room and get out before being caught. Now, the timing on the message seems to be just right so that either I can be confident that I have enough time to search another room or that I know I need to gtfo.

I tried playing around with a newb Moon Mage to see what kind of loot shows up for magic primes, and I found that I had to not use stealth because my sneaking roundtimes were too long. I didn't notice any real difference between using stealth and not using stealth, which kind of felt weird flavor wise.

Most of the loot I found was fluff, but it was very nice looking fluff. This is not going to help my inventory management problem. I'm not sure if this stuff is handmade or randomly generated, but my brain is refusing to process what exactly this is supposed to be: "a small camlet sphere painted with the crest of House Sorvendig".

>- Failure is determined by the player doing something wrong, there is no random. The fine for being caught is fairly high.

Being caught because a guard wandered into the room you burgled from when we have a very tight time limit feels like it goes against this statement.

A++ Would ransack someone's home again.

“I’m sorry that your mystical, godlike powers do not instantly work as you would like them to.”
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/01/2020 07:35 PM CST
>Being caught because a guard wandered into the room you burgled from when we have a very tight time limit feels like it goes against this statement.

Scout the area and pick better rooms. You shouldn't be inside long enough for guards to move that many rooms ;-)

TG, TG, GL, et al.

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/01/2020 08:27 PM CST
Ran into a fun bug. I got sent to the Junk Room while burgling. When I came out I was in a different house someone else was burgling. When I left that house I came out where they burgled from.

>Scout the area and pick better rooms. You shouldn't be inside long enough for guards to move that many rooms ;-)

I don't disagree that it's a mitigable random factor, but it is a random factor.

“I’m sorry that your mystical, godlike powers do not instantly work as you would like them to.”
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/01/2020 11:08 PM CST
>I don't disagree that it's a mitigable random factor, but it is a random factor.

Mitigable means you did something wrong to get caught. When I said there is no random, I was specifically addressing the complaint many people have with Snake Eyes in shoplifting.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/02/2020 07:28 AM CST
I was testing as you were making active changes yesterday, so take this feedback with that in mind.

There were instances where rooms spawned with no searchable surface. I had this happen only when in a group.

I got a group of 4 together and still only had 3 rooms. The time was long enough to search all three rooms.

We tried to get the trick of lockpicking + athletics to work but never could. I was holding a rope and leading, another survival prime was holding a lock pick. We did once proc the double learning, but only when the lockpick holder from the non-leader position initiated an instance via burgle. They went into a house, got a message about pick and ropes, learned both, but I was not brought into the instance.

Learning is great! I hope the timers are not so long that this can't be a viable method of leaning stealing.

None of the loot I found was pawnable. Not a complaint, I don't care if B&E does not pay anything.

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/02/2020 08:44 AM CST
>There were instances where rooms spawned with no searchable surface. I had this happen only when in a group.

Which room? Was it always the same room, or was it various rooms on various runs?

>I got a group of 4 together and still only had 3 rooms. The time was long enough to search all three rooms.

What were their guilds? If you went in with an all Moon Mage group, you should have three rooms: kitchen, bedroom, study. The time should not have been increased. Also, if you can remember, what directions did you move to get to the rooms (this will help me identify which pattern was used to lay out the rooms, in case the reason you only got three rooms was a bad room connection).

>We tried to get the trick of lockpicking + athletics to work but never could.

It should only require three or more Survival Primes to learn both skills, and you don't need to be holding the second entry method. I'll double check that the flag isn't getting corrupted somewhere, as that's the most likely reason you wouldn't see it if you have three or more Survival Primes.

>when the lockpick holder from the non-leader position initiated an instance via burgle.

This should not give any of the group benefits, as they went in alone.

Thanks for testing. I will dig into the code again tonight to see if I can identify some of the issues you wonderful testers have brought to my attention.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/02/2020 09:34 AM CST

>What were their guilds? If you went in with an all Moon Mage group, you should have three rooms: kitchen, bedroom, study. The time should not have been increased. Also, if you can remember, what directions did you move to get to the rooms (this will help me identify which pattern was used to lay out the rooms, in case the reason you only got three rooms was a bad room connection).

We were three survival primes and a lore prime (trader added the library I'm assuming).

[Someone Else's Home, Kitchen]
Acanth floors lie beneath Elothean silk rugs. A long senci counter fills the center of the room.
You also see the kitchen window.
Obvious exits: north.

[Someone Else's Home, Bedroom]
White ironwood floors lie beneath cloth-of-gold rugs. A massive palladium-framed bed fills the center of the room.
Obvious exits: north, south.

[Someone Else's Home, Library]
Zulnatha floors lie beneath cloth-of-gold rugs. A tall electrum-framed bookshelf covers one wall.
Obvious paths: south.

>We tried to get the trick of lockpicking + athletics to work but never could.

>It should only require three or more Survival Primes to learn both skills, and you don't need to be holding the second entry method. I'll double check that the flag isn't getting corrupted somewhere, as that's the most likely reason you wouldn't see it if you have three or more Survival Primes.

Same as above, appears to not be working correctly.

Jalika
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/02/2020 10:32 AM CST
>We were three survival primes and a lore prime (trader added the library I'm assuming).

Interesting. If you can get a similar group around tonight, I can try to pop in and observe. I built a bunch of GM debug messaging into the system, so hopefully it’ll give me some idea of what’s going wrong. I’ll try to test with a similar group myself. (I did spot and fix one error in the code this morning, but it should have been making noise on the GM side if it were hit.)

Javac
That one guy

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/02/2020 12:42 PM CST
>Which room? Was it always the same room, or was it various rooms on various runs?

Whoops looks like I lied. Only when I'm SOLO do I see the no-surfaced rooms. Examples below:

[Someone Else's Home, Armory]
Kapok floors lie beneath camlet rugs.
Obvious exits: north.
HR>
sear rug
You feel fully attuned to the mana streams again.
H>
Footsteps nearby make you wonder if you're pushing your luck.
H>
You come out of hiding.
I could not find what you were referring to.
>
sear floo
>
>
sear ka
>
>
sear cap
>
>
sear cam

[Someone Else's Home, Work Room]
E'erdream floors lie beneath Elven silk rugs.
Obvious exits: northeast.
HR>
You feel fully attuned to the mana streams again.
H>
sear floor
You come out of hiding.
>
>
sear rug
>
>

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/02/2020 04:22 PM CST
So despite the fact that Navesi obviously will not be participating in such skulduggery in game, I figured I'd test it out for fun anyway. :)

First, I want to show appreciation for the level of effort put in and for listening to player desires. It's always exciting and fun to see a new release and I am grateful for development!

Now if you will, some constructive criticism.

The Good: I loved figuring out the system and looking at all the cool bits and bobs of loot. I love that it's a new option for training Thievery (and other skills!). I like that there are benefits to going as a group.

The Constructive: I think that overall the system is too simple and not dangerous enough. As a Survival tert, I was able to consistently search all three rooms and get out without issue. By choosing my location wisely, I was never caught. It just seems too easy and quick, like I pull a lever and get a dump of exp and some loot.

My two favorite kinds of design:

1) Simple Version of task rewards a small amount of exp, Dangerous Version rewards a large amount. See Astral Travel.

2) Task can be accomplished in a simple, easy way for a small amount of exp, but over time learning more complex factors allow the player to unlock better exp/loot rewards. See Crafting.

I don't know exactly how I would implement these design ideas with B&E, but one idea for (1) might be that you can choose to burgle a moderate house vs. a mansion. The mansion has guards and maybe even booby traps, with a chance of getting caught even if you do everything right -- but it gives a boatload of exp and great loot. Perhaps you can figure out how to lower the risk by going through the mansion more slowly (this is also the case with Astral Travel). Sneaking, searching twice for traps, getting the right buffs from friends, etc. Heck, maybe even learn the guards' pacing.

Designing for (2) tends to be a lot harder, and would probably involve increasing complexity via adding all kinds of different houses to choose from, more surfaces, better odds for getting X if you do Y first, etc. Probably way more work than you want to do, but still is my absolute favorite design type, personally.

- Navesi

The First Land Herald -- Zoluren's newspaper. https://elanthipedia.play.net/The_First_Land_Herald
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/02/2020 04:53 PM CST
Also, separately, I wanted to post some suggestions for more loot items for the Library. I was focused on that room mainly as a Bard. :)

Note that I loved that the items available were freshly designed and drew from materials randomly. Would like to see that for the below too, not just a nab from existing loot.

Very Rare Finds
- Textbook
- Limited-use almanac
- Limited-use epistemic journal
- Treasure map
- Deed for a rare crafting material

Books
- Writable journal (like from "All in Good Tome")
- Verby book (like from "All in Good Tome")
- Verby notebook
- Songbook
- Fluffy theme books, e.g. the Gentleman's Book of Decorum, cookbook, collection of historical tomes
- Weaponized book
- Trader's ledger
- Trader's storage book
- Fluff spellbook (like the ones sold in the lobbies of the spellbook merchant)
- Origami primer
- Crafting instruction book (the master ones are quite expensive)
- Crafting design codex, with new designs
- Hollow book (container)

Papers Etc.
- Newspaper/newsletter
- Fancy writing/art/music paper
- Spell scroll
- Greeting card (like those sold in Riverhaven)
- Origami paper
- Map of X province
- Deed for a common or uncommon crafting material
- Deed for a horse
- Anatomy chart

Book Covers
- Vault book cover
- Bank book cover
- Register cover
- Crafting book cover

Containers
- Bookbag
- Newspaper bag
- Instrument case
- Book case (I've seen little ones you can wear)
- Map case
- Spellbook case
- Deed case

Accessories/Misc.
- Strap for wearing a crafting book (seen as an incidental at last Corn Maze)
- Desk pad
- Inkpot
- Instrument cleaning cloth
- Charcoal, paintbrushes, pens
- Spellbook chain/accessories
- Skull (who doesn't find a skull on the shelves of an ancient library, right??)
- Gaethzen
- Abacus

I didn't include the things I already found. A few of these might be better for the Study, not sure, but feel free to use wherever.

- Navesi

The First Land Herald -- Zoluren's newspaper. https://elanthipedia.play.net/The_First_Land_Herald
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/03/2020 10:52 AM CST
> First, I want to show appreciation for the level of effort put in and for listening to player desires. It's always exciting and fun to see a new release and I am grateful for development!

Thank you for testing! It’s much appreciated.

> I think that overall the system is too simple and not dangerous enough.

I tweaked the time you’re allowed to be in the room up slightly, as people were complaining they’d get caught almost immediately, and wouldn’t even attempt multiple rooms. I’ll try tweaking it down to somewhere in the middle, or maybe have a random amount of time (since you now get a warning).

The original plan involved having an NPC be present in the home, but I wanted to get this initial release out first. I may add the wandering NPC later, which would require you to remain in stealth or be caught, but who you could steal from directly for coins. That said, we have plenty of systems that are Complex. I don’t think every system in the game has to be as Complex as we can make it.

> a chance of getting caught even if you do everything right

This was something I explicitly avoided in design and implementation. There was no safe way to train Thievery by being a good player. You can train almost every skill in the game without a huge risk, as long as you the player know what you’re doing. Thievery has always had snake eyes built in, where you just randomly fail. To me, that is not a fun gameplay addition, and I wanted to avoid it in this release.

Keep in mind, the cooldown on B&E is artificially low in Test. It would normally be a minimum of twenty minutes (if there’s a premium person and a Thief in your group). I keep meaning to post what the cooldowns will be, so here’s the cooldowns and modifiers:
F2P characters always have a cooldown of 60 minutes.
Survival Tertiary characters have a cooldown of 50 minutes.
Survival Secondary characters have a cooldown of 40 minutes.
Survival Primary characters have a cooldown of 30 minutes.
Thief guild characters have a cooldown of 25 minutes.
Premium characters cooldown is five minutes shorter.

Your entire group uses the best time, and your entire group benefits from a premium character in your group. As an example, if a Premium Bard (Survival Tertiary) and a Standard Thief were to burgle together in a group, both characters would have a 20 minute cooldown.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/03/2020 11:48 AM CST
Good god, we're not even live yet and you want MORE prizes?

The nice thing about this system is that it's fairly easy for us to add more prizes in the future. This is a fun list of ideas and I've stashed it away for when we're ready to expand the prize pool.

If anyone else has ideas on what they'd like to see, feel free to drop them here.

Tullie
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/03/2020 12:05 PM CST
>>> I think that overall the system is too simple and not dangerous enough.

>I tweaked the time you’re allowed to be in the room up slightly,

Personally, I don't think the timer has much to do with danger. Once you get your script perfect, there's no chance of failure. So really I'd just say set the timer to be where you want it for allowing loot, and remember that being forced to be in stealth later will slow a lot of us down.

>>That said, we have plenty of systems that are Complex. I don’t think every system in the game has to be as Complex as we can make it.

You are totally right, although personally I think B&E is just ripe for being complex because it could be so interesting. If I could snap my fingers and make things happen, I'd probably make shoplifting the danger-free, easy mode of Thievery and make B&E the cool complex game.

>> a chance of getting caught even if you do everything right

>This was something I explicitly avoided in design and implementation.

I could tell! I simply disagree. I think here's what you should consider: Shoplifting requires you to take the "dangerous" action over and over and over again. So it's not really like, "on 1% of days I get caught and have to deal with the consequences," it's more like, well, all the time. With Astral Travel it literally went from failure/death on 2% of trips down to (way) less than 1%. So I can still die from it, but we're talking more like 1-2 times a year. That's the sort of danger spice I'm looking for. Maybe a bit more than that -- I've gotten too good at traveling!

In sum, shoplifting has constant snake-eyes, leading to hassle and headaches, and no reward for the risk you take. Astral Travel has minimal snake eyes, but just enough to spice things up, and rewards you with a ton of exp for taking the risky option.

Personally I think Thievery is the one skill where this risk vs. reward option should be heavily played up. Being a Thief should be about doing risky things, dancing past danger, using up that last bit of luck and wit to get out of it. Heck, you could give Thieves some new abilities where they get X "slip out of trouble" cards per day, to let them try even more dangerous things. Seems to me like the kind of gameplay a Thief player would like. Just my 2 cents.

- Navesi

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/03/2020 12:39 PM CST
>I tweaked the time you’re allowed to be in the room up slightly, as people were complaining they’d get caught almost immediately, and wouldn’t even attempt multiple rooms. I’ll try tweaking it down to somewhere in the middle, or maybe have a random amount of time (since you now get a warning).

Honestly, I think it's going to be difficult to balance with such low values. It may be unpopular, but I think the best way to balance would be:

1) Increase Search RTs
2) Increase time the warning gives you to get out
3) Increase time before you get arrested.

Probably best to balance around ~2 min before getting arrested.

~30 second search
~60 second warning

(+/- 10 on each of the above)?

TG, TG, GL, et al.

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/03/2020 12:42 PM CST
>I simply disagree.
>Astral Travel comparison.

You have the option to not astral travel. We don't have a similar option for stealing. If you want the danger, stick to shop stealing and let those who want more options have their options.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/03/2020 12:54 PM CST
>Good god, we're not even live yet and you want MORE prizes?

We are well trained by the Skinner boxes.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/03/2020 03:07 PM CST
> As a Survival tert, I was able to consistently search all three rooms and get out without issue.

I forgot to mention... There’s only a very small chance you’re finding loot in all the rooms, if you’re only searching once. You can search again in the same room until you do find a prize.

> ~30 second search
>~60 second warning

I cannot imagine anything more boring and/or anxiety inducing than doing nothing for thirty seconds while your character searches for loot, while you wait for the countdown to end. Also, why would the warning need to be so much greater than the length of a search?

Javac
That one guy

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/03/2020 03:40 PM CST
>>I cannot imagine anything more boring and/or anxiety inducing than doing nothing for thirty seconds while your character searches for loot, while you wait for the countdown to end. Also, why would the warning need to be so much greater than the length of a search?

Provided the warning timer is always > than the search timer + buffer, there is zero anxiety. Right now the buffer can be as low as 1-2 seconds from my testing. It's the buffer that causes anxiety. That's what I was driving at with regards to the change in numbers.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/03/2020 04:03 PM CST
Uhh player of Navesi?

Scripting B&E?? You do realize not everyone runs scripts nor wants too. I went in with my best thief, got nabbed the first 2 times due to my stupidity, I'm fine with that.

I know this "event" will probably turn into a giant scripting event for 99% of the folks who use it, just like many of the crafting stuff has, but not everyone will be using lich/glich/scripts to do it.

And I'm hoping good Javac keeps in mind that some of us with lil thieves want to play too, please? Not just "big" thieves, I hated going on stealing runs & struggling because some of my thieves are small in circle so they got hit (it seemed) with more "snake-eyes" that my bigger thieves.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/03/2020 05:27 PM CST

Is there supposed to be an incentive to still use the shoplifting system? Because as I understand it you can basically lock thievery without risk and the cool down will be up well before skill drains out.

Jalika
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/03/2020 06:19 PM CST
>>Good god, we're not even live yet and you want MORE prizes?

Honestly I just found it fun to think up every library/book-related prize I could. I like themes, I guess. :)

>>You have the option to not astral travel. We don't have a similar option for stealing. If you want the danger, stick to shop stealing and let those who want more options have their options.

To clarify, I'm not saying there should be only one option for Thievery either. I think there should be a low risk, low reward way to train, but also a riskier, much more rewarding way to train. When I tried B&E out I got 25/34 Thievery exp plus 1-3 cool pieces of loot for about 40 seconds of risk-free effort. It just seems WAY too rewarding for the time spent and zero risk. Most skills take at least ~10-15 minutes to lock, often with no monetary reward. Even Astral Travel takes ~2 minutes.

>>I forgot to mention... There’s only a very small chance you’re finding loot in all the rooms, if you’re only searching once. You can search again in the same room until you do find a prize.

Thanks, didn't realize. I was reporting doing a single search in each room. I definitely was not always getting prizes.

>>Scripting B&E?? You do realize not everyone runs scripts nor wants too.

Yes, and that's great. I don't see how that fact impacts my criticism though. :)

- Navesi

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/03/2020 06:44 PM CST
I played around with it a bit in test and had a few thoughts:

The good:
- quick way to train thievery, stealth, and an entry skill, which is definitely something all thieves desire.
- interesting loot pool.
- enjoyable messaging and descriptions.

The bad:
- quick way to train thievery and stealth with zero risk - which could be abused by griefers.
- pawn system not able to accept the interesting loot.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/03/2020 06:45 PM CST
>Most skills take at least ~10-15 minutes to lock,

This is why there is a cooldown. Much like how MMs get large chunks of experience for predicting, with a cooldown.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/03/2020 06:50 PM CST
>quick way to train thievery and stealth with zero risk

The zero risk requires forgoing more experience and loot.

>which could be abused by griefers.

I'm not clear how this would be abused by griefers, however.

>pawn system not able to accept the interesting loot.

This is an issue we're investigating how to fix. The intention was for most of the stuff to be pawnable.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/03/2020 06:54 PM CST
Fixing the system with poor training of thievery to provide for a better, easier way to train thievery could attract the griefers to train more thievery faster and then run around and cause havoc. I suspect that if there is some risk in the process, even low, that would mitigate the risk of griefers abusing the skill.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/03/2020 08:38 PM CST
>>This is why there is a cooldown. Much like how MMs get large chunks of experience for predicting, with a cooldown.

Moon Mages have to spend fair amounts of RT over the course of either 10 or 40 minutes to build up a prediction pool large enough to predict, which gets 17/34 exp (or 34/34 with a good Read the Ripples).

The limited resource in DR is time, which is eaten by RT. In the grand scheme of things, a 40 minute cooldown does not really matter. The thief will just spend those 40 minutes training other things, then return to top off Thievery, meaning Thievery drains the entire time for very little time spent. There are very few examples I can think of where players can gain large amounts of exp for little time spent -- selling bundles for Trading, whistling for Bardic Lore, sanowret crystals. These are all, to my mind, problematic to varying degrees.

You're the designer, you get to make the final call. I'm not trying to badger you, honest. I just want to give some food for thought about how skills are trained in DR, and the costs we pay for them. I've seen signs of going down the free/easy exp route, and I don't want the game to slide into Progress Quest. Maybe one more easy skill won't matter that much? But I'd encourage you to consider the overarching design philosophy going forward.

- Navesi

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/03/2020 10:22 PM CST
When I read people were getting 60ish plat fines, I was taken aback. But the system sounded so intriguing that I had to try it. It turns out I win the biggest fine contest.

>After a weighty pause, the judge speaks, "Vanxa, you have been found guilty of thievery in the Principality of Zoluren. It is with a solemn hope that you will change your ways that I pronounce a fine upon you of 144 platinum. If you cannot pay immediately, your things will be held until you can repay the debt to society that you owe. Failure to come up with the money within twelve days shall result in a forfeiture of your possessions, and their intrinsic value removed from your debt."

I put up both a capped SOV and Shadows before entering by the kitchen window. I admit my Stealth isn't one of my better skills; it's less than 700, but I still hid once inside. I wasn't overly worried about trying to find loot on my first try; I wanted to get familiar with the surroundings. So I sneaked south and found the bedroom. I still find that an amusing floor plan.

I did decide to do a little searching but ran into the same problem Hanryu mentioned about not finding any searchable surfaces. If someone answered his post, I missed it. Is this a group-only system? Not finding any searchable surfaces is probably where I lost control of the situation time-wise.

Then I heard footsteps. I knew I needed to get out but wasn't sure how. I was thinking since I had just left the kitchen and no one else had been in there, the footsteps must be coming from the study. I hid again and sneaked back into the kitchen on the idea I would go back out the original entry window. There was no one in the kitchen, but regardless, the next thing I know was the jail door clanging shut. I had read that either dark of night or stealth is required, but it didn't seem to help at all. It was all over dizzyingly fast.

Afterward, I wondered if typing burgle a second time, from any room, would have taken me out of the house? There doesn't seem to be any verb help menu. Are there options with the burgle verb?

When I try a new system and it doesn't turn out well, I usually at least understand where I messed up and can improve my technique. But this experience was a little different. Can someone tell me what painfully obvious things I am overlooking? Or is this strictly PAFO?

Here are my wild guesses. If you can exit the house from any room, then you need to leave when you hear the footsteps. If you need to sneak back through the house to leave, then hearing the footsteps probably means you've waited too late. This would make searching only the entry room the safest approach. But this would not be desirable since there are specialty rooms, so the key would possibly be just to speed through - search, change room, search, change room, etc - and then leave the house immediately.

~ Vanxa

You see Grazhir cracking open in one sharp movement.
The World Dragon emerges, roaring soundlessly.
It moves to sear Katamba to a lifeless black.
You see the night sky, filled with stars.
Prev_page Previous 1 3