Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/03/2020 10:56 PM CST

>Here are my wild guesses. If you can exit the house from any room, then you need to leave when you hear the footsteps. If you need to sneak back through the house to leave, then hearing the footsteps probably means you've waited too late. This would make searching only the entry room the safest approach. But this would not be desirable since there are specialty rooms, so the key would possibly be just to speed through - search, change room, search, change room, etc - and then leave the house immediately.

You don't have to sneak back through the house, just book it for the kitchen and go out the window as soon as you're out of RT after you hear the footsteps. I can seem to get two rooms fairly consistently going solo.

Jalika
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/03/2020 11:14 PM CST
You only need to be in stealth if you're trying to burgle during the day. Once you're inside the house you don't have to be in stealth anymore. Though being in stealth when you burgle or when you successfully find an item on a search will reward stealth experience. So it can be useful to search the kitchen in stealth, then unhide and go to other rooms.

Speaking of burgling in broad daylight. If you burgle during the day without hiding it doesn't seem to trigger the cooldown. Or at the very least the cooldown message never shows up. Not sure if that's intentional or not.

“I’m sorry that your mystical, godlike powers do not instantly work as you would like them to.”
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/03/2020 11:16 PM CST
>This is an issue we're investigating how to fix. The intention was for most of the stuff to be pawnable.

Would it be helpful to compile a list of things which can and can't be pawned?

“I’m sorry that your mystical, godlike powers do not instantly work as you would like them to.”
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/04/2020 06:16 AM CST
Let me step in here and speak in favor of the training scheme being developed with B&E. I'm thrilled that something other than "10-15 minutes of RT" is being tried. We have enough skill that are either so boring or so tedious that they almost encourage you to tab away from the screen. I want more things like this were we get a big chunk of exp and can go off to do other things (especially as a ranger who wants to keep his bonus). This is the first system in a long time that, while I could script it, I don't 1) have to or 2) want to.

~Hunter Hanryu
>Everything Rangers have is just a lame version of something cool.~Morkim
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/04/2020 10:17 AM CST
Javac,
Found out that items stolen more than a few hours are hit or miss when binning. A bear I know one character received while B&Eing was not binnable, yet a stove/fabric received in the same timeframe was binnable. Same with a mortar B&E'ed in the same time period, that run was last nite, around 7pm est (I cant remember for sure on hour but it was last nite).

This was by a guilded thief around 25 circles.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/04/2020 10:20 AM CST

> Fixing the system with poor training of thievery to provide for a better, easier way to train thievery could attract the griefers to train more thievery faster and then run around and cause havoc.

I think this is a little extreme. If you're saying that people may start training the skill and actually using it again, then that's a plus. It gives usefulness to all of those anti-theivery abilities out there. I think, however, that going open for 4 hours will still deter using player thievery in a big way. Faaaaar bigger than just not training the skill, which griefers already could do by purchasing the right scripts.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/07/2020 09:36 PM CST
I have some changes in Test to how pawning stuff works. You should now be able to pawn things more regularly.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/07/2020 11:20 PM CST
>Only when I'm SOLO do I see the no-surfaced rooms.

Okay, I figured this out. I was stupid, and cut the important part (the surface to loot) out of the room brief description. It was there, you just couldn't see it because it was supposed to be visible in the room description. And it was if you didn't use RoomBrief. Should be there in all cases now. Sorry about the stupid.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/08/2020 12:26 AM CST
>>You should now be able to pawn things more regularly.

It's much better now. I spent about an hour or two burglarizing and I was able to sell the majority of the stuff I found.

Stuff I couldn't sell:

Sieve from the kitchen. (Other crafting tools I found sold fine.)
Lunchbox from the kitchen.
Cube from the bedroom. (Fragile <material> cube with image of <blah blah>. Appraisal value of nothing.)
Length of fabric from the bedroom. (Too valuable. This one was velvet. Appraisal value: 62500 Kronars.)
Anatomy compendium (Guide, manual, etc.) from the library. (Couldn't sell the charts individually or the compendium once empty.)
Contract case from the work room.
Memory orb from the sanctum.
Brigandine hauberk from the armory. (I could sell chain hauberks. Brig hauberk's look: "10/12/19 Winna made T4 Chest/Back/Abdomen/Legs/Arms Brigandine Armor for B&E Prizes. QC: Tullie")

Also, towards the end of my testing I went from being able to perform 3 searches before the warning message down to 2. I was arrested and Hounded repeatedly, though, so that may have something to do with it. Same buffs/full health/no death's sting.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/08/2020 03:26 PM CST
I'm seeing surfaces everywhere now. Yes, I typically run with room brief active!

On the pawn change, I'm seeing a strange bug. Notice the 'I could not find what you were referring to.' line after each sale.

get blank
You get a thick twilight blue wool blanket embroidered with twining vines from inside your hunter's carryall.
>
get pillow
You get a small thornweave pillow trimmed with magenta tassels from inside your hunter's carryall.
>

sell blank

You sell your wool blanket to Cormyn.

Cormyn takes your wool blanket and gives it a quick but thorough examination. After pausing for a moment, he hands you 237 kronars for it.
I could not find what you were referring to.
>
sell pillow

You sell your thornweave pillow to Cormyn.

Cormyn takes your thornweave pillow and gives it a quick but thorough examination. After pausing for a moment, he hands you 62 kronars for it.
I could not find what you were referring to.

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/22/2020 09:00 PM CST
I thought I had posted what the cooldowns will be once it rolls to our live instances, but I can't find the post so I'm posting it now.

Keep in mind, your entire group uses the shortest cooldown.

F2P are 1 hour cooldown, regardless of skillset.
Survival Tertiary characters have a 50 minute cooldown.
Survival Secondary characters have a 40 minute cooldown.
Survival Primary characters have a 30 minute cooldown.
Thieves have a 25 minute cooldown.
One or more premium characters will provide a five minute reduction for the entire group.

So, as an example, a Premium Warrior Mage and a Standard subscription Thief are in a group and BURGLE. The cooldown for both characters will be 20 minutes.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/24/2020 12:03 PM CST

>Cooldowns

Looks like it'll be extremely simple to keep thievery moving constantly, which seems in line with recent development of easier mode for most things.

Any ballparks on release time frame for prime?

Jalika
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/28/2020 10:30 AM CST
Before this is released to Prime can you please make sure all the items generated in it are actually pawnable? That would really be awesome and make Thievery a somewhat useful skill in terms of actually generating revenue outside of player theft.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/30/2020 06:41 AM CST
I can't wait for B&E to go live!

>pawn prices

Does shop stealing ever start to pay with the current mechanics? In the past 10 days of training I've spent 165704 k in fines and made 79257 k in pawn items. I steal very conservatively, nothing above a "acceptably" and no more than 4 swipes per shop. Even in large towns like Crossing I can't get to mind lock from a single run because I don't like getting busted. This is with ~705 stealing on a Ranger.

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/30/2020 02:12 PM CST
I put some changes in Test for pawning stuff, that should make the vast majority of the items in B&E pawnable. It should also make more items you steal from shops pawnable.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/31/2020 05:21 PM CST
In Discord there was a suggestion to add to B&E to give Ranger companions a small practical use:

''Have the (B&E) system detect if room object = "[adult/young] raccoon" or "[adult/young] wolf". If so, the raccoon causes a second searchable object to appear. Messaging along the lines of "Your raccoon sniffs around the area before taking interest in a nearby [noun]". The wolf* acts as an alarm system. When you're 30-60 seconds away from being caught, you could get the atmo message, "the wolf's ears perk up expectantly" or something.''

*Iirc, wolves won't enter buildings but it would be neat if raccoons gave you a chance for this bonus and early warning. Raccoons are well known for their thievery and come dressed for banditry.

Documentation is a love letter you write to your future self.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/31/2020 07:02 PM CST

>I put some changes in Test for pawning stuff, that should make the vast majority of the items in B&E pawnable. It should also make more items you steal from shops pawnable.

Pawn shop tweak?? <runs to test> I pretty consistently make 1.7 plat dok on my run in Ilithi. Same run just run in test I got 3.4 plat at the pawn shop.

Grabbed two items B&E, which were less impressive.

>You sell your anlora-avtoma stove to pawnmonger Aelik.
>Pawnmonger Aelik takes your anlora-avtoma stove and gives it a quick but thorough examination. After pausing for a moment, he hands you 112 dokoras for it.

>You get a fragile bloodwood cube with the image of Belirendrick I burned into it from inside your climbing pack.
>Aelik shakes his head and says, "That's not worth anything to me."

Jalika
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 01/31/2020 07:52 PM CST
Those cubes seem to always have an appraisal value of zero. Not sure if that's intentional or not.

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 02/05/2020 09:46 AM CST
Can we get a command in test to tweak our reputation? It would be super helpful for testing BINing of the B&E items to see how they impact our reputation. I assume we should get a much higher rep boost from B&E items given how it works wrt timers.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors." -Raesh
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 02/08/2020 03:19 PM CST
Skill seems to mean nothing. Tested with a 50 Thievery Empath and 600 Thievery Necro and getting random pawn values from 5 silver to 6 gold. Doesn't matter how skillful you are. Time inside the house should be extended with added Stealth. Also, I've never gotten another room as a stealth class other than the Sanctum. I'm still stoked about not having to spend like 30 minutes stealing from shops but it would be cool if it scaled and skill meant something.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 02/08/2020 03:22 PM CST
Also also, mana regen in test doesn't exist. Once you hit 0% you're there forever.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 02/10/2020 11:20 AM CST

healme works for concentration, not sure if it works for mana as well but I suspect it might...
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 02/15/2020 10:38 AM CST
Breaking and Entering is now live in all instances. Enjoy your Thievery!

Javac
That one guy

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 02/15/2020 11:21 AM CST

Thanks for this! It's nice to see major advances included as part of the standard game.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 02/15/2020 12:47 PM CST
Is there a command to check whether we're still in the cooldown period before we can burgle again? Given that trying again too soon results in an auto-failure and hefty fines, it would be nice to have a way to double check.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 02/15/2020 12:50 PM CST

Lack of help on this reminds me of DR 20 yrs ago.

Help returns nothing.

The messaging is very lack luster and buggy.

I've used the same rooms other people have told me work and been unable to enter at all.

> burgle
And how were you planning to get in?

hid
You melt into the background, convinced that your attempt to hide went unobserved.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

HR> burgle
...wait 3 seconds.
HR> burgle
And how were you planning to get in?

Yes, this is in a justice zone.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 02/15/2020 01:47 PM CST
>> Is there a command to check whether we're still in the cooldown period before we can burgle again? Given that trying again too soon results in an auto-failure and hefty fines, it would be nice to have a way to double check.

There is messaging to tell you when you are able to reenter.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 02/15/2020 02:01 PM CST
>Is there a command to check whether we're still in the cooldown period before we can burgle again?

You can now use BURGLE RECALL to determine how long you should wait. I also added a HELP option, so HELP VERB BURGLE as well as BURGLE HELP will give you this information.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 02/15/2020 02:04 PM CST
>>You can now use BURGLE RECALL

Thank you, Javac! Enjoying the system so far.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 02/15/2020 02:21 PM CST
Some suggestions:

You should have to Burgle 2x the very first time you do it with a warning with big flashing letters that you can have hefty fins if you don't know what you're doing.
Can the timer please work like the other stealing timer, and count down while offline?

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors." -Raesh
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 02/15/2020 02:57 PM CST
Thanks Javac, great job on the system!

This might have been suggested already, but is there any way we could get some sort of CHECK BURGLE command (or similar), to get either a specific, or even just a general idea on how much time is left on our cooldown?

~*~ Kythryn ~*~
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 02/15/2020 02:59 PM CST
>You can now use BURGLE RECALL to determine how long you should wait.

Perfect, thank you!

~*~ Kythryn ~*~
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 02/15/2020 03:05 PM CST

>You can now use BURGLE RECALL to determine how long you should wait.

Any chance this could be RECALL BURGLE instead? I can see myself doing BURGLE RCALL and getting pinched because I have fat fingers.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 02/15/2020 04:33 PM CST
PLEASE consider BURGLE <anything> to result in "what are you doing". Just tested this:

I> burgle recall
You take a moment to think, you believe...
The heat has died down from your last caper.
I> burgle rcall
You scale up the side of a wall, quickly slipping inside.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 02/16/2020 03:04 PM CST
So a question on the loot you end up with. Is it considered "stolen" as far as system mechanics go? I'd hate to drop a bunch of alchemy tools on the empath shelf and end up sending a bunch of young empaths to jail when a guard saw them with the stuff...heh.

~*~ Kythryn ~*~
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 02/16/2020 03:49 PM CST
According to Discord, you can't give coins in The Fallen anymore. Did the B&E rollout also include avoid crimes (and by extension avoid coins)? There is no avoid command in TF to turn it off if so.

Documentation is a love letter you write to your future self.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 02/16/2020 04:25 PM CST
>So a question on the loot you end up with. Is it considered "stolen" as far as system mechanics go? I'd hate to drop a bunch of alchemy tools on the empath shelf and end up sending a bunch of young empaths to jail when a guard saw them with the stuff...heh.

Yes. The disappear mechanic goes away after a little bit, so just hold on to them before putting on the shelf.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

Note: you will receive this experience for the action; it is not dependent on finding an item to award the EXP.
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 02/16/2020 04:25 PM CST
>Note: you will receive this experience for the action; it is not dependent on finding an item to award the EXP.

This doesn't seem to be working for me. I search, get nothing, AND no experience.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 02/16/2020 05:26 PM CST
Cool system. I hope this has some spillover into other areas of the game. If exp is fun and fast to get, perhaps more people will RP or talk
Re: Breaking and Entering in Test 02/16/2020 05:52 PM CST
>>This doesn't seem to be working for me. I search, get nothing, AND no experience.

Are you searching/rummaging a surface?
(e.g. SEARCH COUNTER)

- I

[Someone Else's Home, Kitchen]
Aganylosh'a floors lie beneath broadcloth rugs. A long granite counter fills the center of the room.
You also see the kitchen window.
Obvious exits: south.
I>
search counter
You rummage around the long counter, until you find a small velvet sphere painted with the crest of House Turmar. It looks valuable, so you decide to take it.
Roundtime: 10 sec.