Prev_page Previous 1
Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 10/28/2016 11:08 PM CDT
Because it's broken trash band-aid mechanics from the dark ages of stealth hating GMs?

THANKS
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 10/28/2016 11:16 PM CDT
Let us also acknowledge that perception is basically free and the exp caps for perception are extended beyond what stealth teaches to on every single mob in game.

Can anyone defend that with a straight face?
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 10/29/2016 12:00 AM CDT
I don't feel particularly strongly about WATCH but the whole stealth system is still wonky, mostly in ways that favor stealth, like POINT having roundtime. The whole system could use a redesign from ground level.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 10/31/2016 10:47 PM CDT
No word yet GMs? On when we can expect the most broken ability in game to get removed?

Do I need to post stats to show why this ability is broken like I did when it was released something like 10 years ago?
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/02/2016 12:27 PM CDT

Ages ago people suggested that STEALTH be used as a sort of Tactics like set of maneuvers that do various things in combat. A stealth maneuver could provide the user with an evasion buff, or maybe a to hit penalty to the target, etc. As it is, WATCH is pretty borked, and perception training is easier than it's ever been. I noticed one of the shops at HE sells yoyos and laughed out loud.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/02/2016 01:37 PM CDT
>I don't feel particularly strongly about WATCH but the whole stealth system is still wonky, mostly in ways that favor stealth, like POINT having roundtime. The whole system could use a redesign from ground level.

I echo this sentiment.

>Do I need to post stats to show why this ability is broken like I did when it was released something like 10 years ago?

It may help. Watch was nerfed pretty heavily with one of the last major updates. I rarely even used it before the nerf as a matter of principle. Now, however, at 1k+ skill and even a little sooner, I don't notice watch doing much of anything against a stealthy who knows what s/he's doing.

I agree that watch is a bandage solution, but I think it's a solution to a different problem. I don't think stealth guilds were intended to be able to attack from hiding with impunity. I'd rather stealth attacks give the target (and only the target) a healthy bonus to perception for some duration after a stealth attack (e.g. 20/30 seconds) than what we have now.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/02/2016 01:51 PM CDT
>>>> Because it's broken trash band-aid mechanics from the dark ages of stealth hating GMs?

I think the problem with the whole stealth system is that it is a series of band-aid mechanics from the dark ages of stealth hating GM's combined with band-aid mechanics from the dark ages of stealth loving GM's, each of which creates as many (or more) problems than they solved.

Unfortunately apply a band-aid by removing watch really isn't the right solution.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/02/2016 03:41 PM CDT

>I'd rather stealth attacks give the target (and only the target) a healthy bonus to perception for some duration after a stealth attack (e.g. 20/30 seconds) than what we have now.

Not sure if this is a typo, but if not, why a bonus to perception?
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 03:16 AM CDT
>Not sure if this is a typo, but if not, why a bonus to perception?

So that you can't continue sniping/attacking/whatever from hiding with impunity. Hiding should not be some sort of invincibility shield that protects you from counterattacks if they can't spot you.

Stealth should be a significant first-strike (or several-strikes) advantage that becomes the core of Thief/Ranger/whatever combat. It shouldn't be the entire strategy, in the sense that stealth guilds should be penalized for lacking shield/evasion/parry/whatever by giving their opponents chances to fight back, and also in the sense that stealth guilds should have other powerful tools or means at their disposal to give them an edge in combat.

I remember some years back there was discussion of a "heat" system where multiple actions in hiding produced an increasing stealth penalty for a short duration, that seemed like a nice idea to me.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 07:00 AM CDT

It wasn't a typo...

Remember stealth is the primary tool of survival primes for offensive output. On that note, what if weapon or TM use also had somekind of accuracy or damaged reduction built into its sustained use? I.e., the target was getting familiar with what was coming and more likely to avoid it.

Pretty silly huh.

Stealth needs work, but not in the form of nerfs. It needs an expanding to bring skin to tactics.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 07:07 AM CDT

> Remember stealth is the primary tool of survival primes for offensive output. On that note, what if weapon or TM use also had somekind of accuracy or damaged reduction built into its sustained use? I.e., the target was getting familiar with what was coming and more likely to avoid it.

Stealth is an offensive and defensive tool. It shouldn't be the best at both.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 07:30 AM CDT
The problem is without stealth Rangers and Thieves are pretty nerftastic.

You take watch away they become too good again, though. It's a complex problem. I agree the entire stealth system needs a rewrite and I also agree watch is probably one of the worst commands ever implemented on this mud. I command with no skill checks or requirements that nerfs a guilds primary advantage so hard is pretty ridiculous.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 07:57 AM CDT
>>You take watch away they become too good again, though. It's a complex problem. I agree the entire stealth system needs a rewrite and I also agree watch is probably one of the worst commands ever implemented on this mud. I command with no skill checks or requirements that nerfs a guilds primary advantage so hard is pretty ridiculous.

The best suggestion I've heard is a stacking bonus to perception every time you're attacked from hiding that resets after 30ish seconds. It could even change to a bonus to perception whenever something you're engaged with hides on you so you don't have people hiding, moving into melee, unhiding attacking, and rehiding to avoid the person getting the bonus.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 08:20 AM CDT
>>The best suggestion I've heard is a stacking bonus to perception every time you're attacked from hiding that resets after 30ish seconds. It could even change to a bonus to perception whenever something you're engaged with hides on you so you don't have people hiding, moving into melee, unhiding attacking, and rehiding to avoid the person getting the bonus.

It's worth trying I guess. I don't really know. You take a guild like Rangers and they actually need to be able to stay hidden to have a chance. They just can't stack up to the damage that a warrior mage or cleric can output. You just can't take TM spells to the face. Bows not being what they used to be doesn't help either. Weapon damage in general is just bad now.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 09:28 AM CDT
>>It's worth trying I guess. I don't really know. You take a guild like Rangers and they actually need to be able to stay hidden to have a chance. They just can't stack up to the damage that a warrior mage or cleric can output. You just can't take TM spells to the face. Bows not being what they used to be doesn't help either. Weapon damage in general is just bad now.

My take-away from that is that there needs to be another pass on 'normal' damage sources as opposed to some of the more front-loading guilds. A few guilds have very solid damage generation due to a combination of abilities or mechanics. The other guilds either rely on a single mechanic (stealth) or feel lackluster by comparison.

Samsaren
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 09:55 AM CDT

>The best suggestion I've heard is a stacking bonus to perception every time you're attacked from hiding that resets after 30ish seconds. It could even change to a bonus to perception whenever something you're engaged with hides on you so you don't have people hiding, moving into melee, unhiding attacking, and rehiding to avoid the person getting the bonus.

That is not a good suggestion for the same reason applying the same notion to TM or Weapons is a bad idea. Stealth in Dragonrealms is identical to Stealth in other MMOs, wherein the player goes invisible, and while still being vulnerable to AoE, suddenly attacks from invisibility. Rinse, repeat. There are ALREADY a ton of guild specific solutions in DR for dealing with people who are invisible - AoE will hit anyone engaged, and that's fine and indeed, working as intended. I don't understand why in addition to that, all guilds get access to WATCH, which is effectively just a nerf to Stealth.

Personally, I find that a pretty boring approach to Stealth, and if the GMs decide to not expand Stealth, I hope they at least try and balance WATCH, by giving all guilds access to some kind of anti-TM, anti-physical attacks, and anti-tactics commands that require nothing whatsoever on the defenders part to use.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 10:05 AM CDT

> by giving all guilds access to some kind of anti-TM,

Held large shields. Barrier spells. Two defenses that can be stacked and buffed. Armor.

> Anti-physical attacks,

Held small shields. Barrier spells. Three defenses that can be stacked and buffed. Armor.

> anti-tactics commands that require nothing whatsoever on the defenders part to use.

I wouldn't mind seeing a defensive tactical move.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 10:14 AM CDT
>>Held large shields. Barrier spells. Two defenses that can be stacked and buffed. Armor.

Apologies if I'm not understanding but are you saying that is what you should use? Those things require training skills to be effective with them. Watch does not. That is the primary complaint here.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 10:18 AM CDT
>>Stealth in Dragonrealms is identical to Stealth in other MMOs, wherein the player goes invisible, and while still being vulnerable to AoE, suddenly attacks from invisibility. Rinse, repeat.

How many of those other games have timers connected to how often you can go back to hiding? My experience is that there's normally an outright cooldown period where you can't hide again at all.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 10:21 AM CDT
>>Stealth in Dragonrealms is identical to Stealth in other MMOs

That statement is pretty inaccurate. Stealth detection isn't determined/broken by proximity (common in other MMOs), also most MMOs don't let you re-enter stealth while engaged (or if they do it's on a timed ability).

Also not everyone has easy access to AoE.

I agree that WATCH should go, and also that Stealth caps for mobs should match Perc caps (the disparity is laughable) but you also shouldn't be able to spam backstab;hide on players.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 10:30 AM CDT
>>Apologies if I'm not understanding but are you saying that is what you should use? Those things require training skills to be effective with them. Watch does not. That is the primary complaint here.

Typing watch doesn't turn off stealth. It's a (large) bonus, though recently lowered in intensity. The modern incarnation isn't much more potent then a maxed urban/wild bonus for a Ranger/Thief.

Samsaren
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 10:31 AM CDT
<<I hope they at least try and balance WATCH, by giving all guilds access to some kind of anti-TM, anti-physical attacks, and anti-tactics commands that require nothing whatsoever on the defenders part to use.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on it.

I think people would understand if they implemented something like....

BARRIER COMMAND - Instantly reduces opponents TM spell after first cast. No skill/stat contest involved. Anyone can use it. Same cool down as watch.

I'm sure they would just love that and think it was a fair command, lol.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 10:33 AM CDT
<< The modern incarnation isn't much more potent then a maxed urban/wild bonus for a Ranger/Thief.

I can't see how that is true. It's incredibly potent. It routinely takes me from my opponent not being able to see me at all to instantly spotting me when I hide.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 10:34 AM CDT

>Held large shields

You know as well as I do that these do not affect all guilds equally.

>Barrier spells.

Please pay attention to the part where I noted 'with no effect on the user'. Barrier spells A ) are not available to all guilds, and B ) require some effort on the user.

> Armor.

See the issue with shields.

I think you failed to understand my point - the point is WATCH is an action that has ZERO negative impact on the user, and strongly negatively impacts the person trying to use Stealth. There is no equivalent ability in game for TM, Weapons, or Tactics (or Armors!).

>How many of those other games have timers connected to how often you can go back to hiding? My experience is that there's normally an outright cooldown period where you can't hide again at all.

>0, but certainly not all? I can name a handful of games that treat Stealth exactly like it operates in DR, namely it causes the user to simply vanish. Even if there's a CD though, I don't think I've ever seen it such that the CD is longer than a couple of seconds, when the fight most certainly lasts up to multiple minutes.

>That statement is pretty inaccurate. Stealth detection isn't determined/broken by proximity (common in other MMOs), also most MMOs don't let you re-enter stealth while engaged (or if they do it's on a timed ability).

Stealth is absolutely determined by proximity - it is harder to hide on someone at melee than at missile, and many many MMOs absolutely allow you to re-enter stealth whilst engaged, and those that have a CD, as I just mentioned, typically have a very very short CD.

>I agree that WATCH should go, and also that Stealth caps for mobs should match Perc caps (the disparity is laughable) but you also shouldn't be able to spam backstab;hide on players.

I agree! I think Stealth is rather boring as implemented in DR, but the solution is not to provide everyone with a rank-less tool nullifying it. MUs have AoEs which pit their TM/Debil against all engaged. That's a perfectly valid solution. Barbs have Whirlwind and Slash the Shadows and Earthquake (I have indeed used all three of those to pull people from hiding). Frankly, many guilds already have tools in place to deal with Stealth, so I don't understand the purpose of WATCH other than to indicate Stealth shouldn't be used in PvP?
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 10:39 AM CDT
>>I can't see how that is true. It's incredibly potent. It routinely takes me from my opponent not being able to see me at all to instantly spotting me when I hide.

I find if I can't search them out before, adding Watch doesn't fix the issue. I can see my IG wife hide in combat, I cannot see her in town. Adding Watch alone means I RARELY search her out, and still don't see a passive spot hide. If I'm against someone I can SEARCH out, but fail passive hides then about 50% of the time does it tip the scales to passive spots.

Of cource, once I've GOT the spot effect it's very difficult short of disengaging and waiting it out to get by me again for that person, too.

Personally, my issue with stealth is more at it's core level. The Blatent Stealth that DR offers frustrates. Playing a survival prime, you're basicly forced to use it as a crutch (lame), and playing non-primes (especially terts), you almost have to assume, and plan around, ALWAYS getting hit first. Add in things like Snipe/pets/Eliminate-Alpha-Strikes and stealth becomes either an "I Win" button, or useless. Hardly a fun place for either side of the coin.

Samsaren
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 10:40 AM CDT
>>Frankly, many guilds already have tools in place to deal with Stealth, so I don't understand the purpose of WATCH other than to indicate Stealth shouldn't be used in PvP?

Close. Its intention is that the stealth system should punish people who don't act in a stealthy manner.

That people feel dependent on multi-backstabbing in PvP is either a problem with their expectations, a problem with base weapon damage, or both. Backstab gets a pass for its ridiculous damage mods for being an alpha strike, the whole stealth-damage-paradigm just sort of becomes a gibbering mess outside (and possibly inside) that.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 10:42 AM CDT
>>so I don't understand the purpose of WATCH other than to indicate Stealth shouldn't be used in PvP?

WATCH's place in DR revolves around the idea of countering Blatent Stealth and an Aware opponent. If we're being honest about it, both need to go, but removing one without the other only makes it worse.

Samsaren
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 10:44 AM CDT
>>It routinely takes me from my opponent not being able to see me at all to instantly spotting me when I hide.

It helps to have data in these situations. Is the person on the cusp of being able to spot you pre-watch, and the skill boost of watch pushes them well into the range that would let them see you consistently?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 10:44 AM CDT
>Personally, my issue with stealth is more at it's core level. The Blatent Stealth that DR offers frustrates. Playing a survival prime, you're basicly forced to use it as a crutch (lame), and playing non-primes (especially terts), you almost have to assume, and plan around, ALWAYS getting hit first. Add in things like Snipe/pets/Eliminate-Alpha-Strikes and stealth becomes either an "I Win" button, or useless. Hardly a fun place for either side of the coin.

This also forces survival primes to have to use stealth for 'everything' because of how powerful it is (or is viewed as) in DR. So we get into a feedback loop. Guilds get tools for maintaining and improving stealth which gets too powerful which leads to tools to mitigate it when in turn resets the cycle.

I'd love more non-stealth thief tools.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 10:48 AM CDT
>>I'd love more non-stealth thief tools.

I still dream about a light thrown AoE attack. Xena totally had the right idea.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 10:50 AM CDT
>That people feel dependent on multi-backstabbing in PvP is either a problem with their expectations, a problem with base weapon damage, or both. Backstab gets a pass for its ridiculous damage mods for being an alpha strike, the whole stealth-damage-paradigm just sort of becomes a gibbering mess outside (and possibly inside) that.

Can I ask what the intention is for stealth-based characters to counter stacked magic? I'm thinking barriers, AoE TM, debilitation, cyclic TM, pre-loaded TM, and single-target TM.

Once a stealth-based character does his alpha strike, what is the GM thought process on the following, high level, play? Obviously there aren't any 1-shot kills any more (and I like that), but if he's not supposed to spam backstab or engage in what we are calling blatant stealth (which I like), do the GMs have any idealized flows on how that encounter should play out?

So I'm thinking thief vs. WM, ranger vs. cleric, and so on. If those sound deliberately poor matchups, it's not intentional, I just grab-bagged guild v. guild for skill sets.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 10:54 AM CDT
>>BARRIER COMMAND - Instantly reduces opponents TM spell after first cast. No skill/stat contest involved. Anyone can use it. Same cool down as watch.

Sure, but it gives a massive boost to arcana, and arcana ranks are now used to defend against TM spells. And while someone is prepping a TM spell, you need to make an arcana check to even attack them.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 10:56 AM CDT

>ARMIFER: Close. Its intention is that the stealth system should punish people who don't act in a stealthy manner.

I totally understand that as a concept, but WATCH effectively denies Stealth's function in combat. What is the purpose of Stealth in combat, if it cannot be used in combat? Alpha-strike isn't really a thing anymore, and being able to get the first shot or snipe off doesn't mean you've rocked the 'true purpose' of Stealth, because chances are very very good your opponent isn't dead even with maximal success.

Respectfully, I think this is one of those examples of DR still utilizing systems that were put into place by people who didn't really play test them or think about how the actual game is played.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 10:57 AM CDT
>>Personally, my issue with stealth is more at it's core level. The Blatent Stealth that DR offers frustrates. Playing a survival prime, you're basicly forced to use it as a crutch (lame), and playing non-primes (especially terts), you almost have to assume, and plan around, ALWAYS getting hit first.

Honestly it sounds less like a stealth/watch issue and instead two other issues:

1) For survival primes that don't have secondary damage (aka: TM), they feel their DPS relies a lot on stealth. This leans it more toward being a Thief issue more than Ranger or Necromancer, but I get why Rangers, especially long-term ones who didn't lean as heavy into magic use as they could have, who might feel a bit of a crunch as well.

2) Survival Primes feel that there isn't much more to being survival prime than stealth. Armor primes get the most hindrance reduction, magic primes get the most spell slots and free feats, lore primes get the most crafting techs, and weapon primes get to dual wield heavy weapons (I recognize that this isn't overly impressive, either). Survival primes get access to snipe (stealth), shorter hiding RTs (stealth), slips (stealth), and a larger hunt range. For all intents and purposes, the "advantage" of being survival primary are stealth perks, so there's not much else, skillset wise, that makes being survival prime attractive. Stealth primary may need "more" to it so every advantage doesn't revolve around stealth.

Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 10:59 AM CDT
>>arcana ranks are now used to defend against TM spells.

This sparked an idea:

When you're not engaged with anyone stealth is the same as always.

Whenever you're engaged with someone they're aware you're approaching in stealth and can attack you. They can target you without pointing, or can search out and point as normal.

While in hiding your Stealth ranks replace your Shield and Parry ranks.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 11:07 AM CDT

>Whenever you're engaged with someone they're aware you're approaching in stealth and can attack you. They can target you without pointing, or can search out and point as normal. While in hiding your Stealth ranks replace your Shield and Parry ranks.

Even though this effectively negates the surprise aspect of Stealth, I think it's a solid idea. SNIPE attacks would need some tweaking, or maybe, as a solution to both, you only become aware of someone Stealthing at you when they're at pole range or closer.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 11:25 AM CDT
I guess I should back way the hell up and ask a basic question.

What should stealth be in our videogame? I mean, should it be a setup for powerful alphas? Low-CD state for a more diverse set of offensive skills? Should it be a defensive stance instead?

Right now "stealth" as a system and related dependant systems try to do everything, and the implications of runaway stealth is just kinda unpleasent for me to want to ever stick my foot in it.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 11:25 AM CDT
>Stealth is an offensive and defensive tool. It shouldn't be the best at both.

>It routinely takes me from my opponent not being able to see me at all to instantly spotting me when I hide.

This, to me, is the issue with stealth. When it works it's the best offensive AND defensive ability in game. It provides large damage boosts plus makes you practically unhittable.

On the other hand, if it doesn't work then it doesn't work at all. There's no sliding scale.

>Alpha-strike isn't really a thing anymore, and being able to get the first shot or snipe off doesn't mean you've rocked the 'true purpose' of Stealth, because chances are very very good your opponent isn't dead even with maximal success.

So you feel that because you can stealth you should be able to instantly kill anyone who can't see you?

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 11:31 AM CDT
>> It helps to have data in these situations. Is the person on the cusp of being able to spot you pre-watch, and the skill boost of watch pushes them well into the range that would let them see you consistently?

It really doesn't. We all know why it was put in because stealth is very imbalanced without it. This is really not something we need data on. If it was removed survival primes would reign supreme again. I'm not even sure why that is being questioned.

I'm not arguing for it to be removed. It would just imbalance the game the other way.
Re: Can we remove WATCH from the game yet? 11/03/2016 12:03 PM CDT
>What should stealth be in our videogame? I mean, should it be a setup for powerful alphas? Low-CD state for a more diverse set of offensive skills? Should it be a defensive stance instead?

I don't have a good answer.

Right now when stealth works, it's the best defense possible. When it doesn't, it fails completely and does nothing.

When it works, you can set up an alpha strike that is either seen as underwhelming or overpowered depending on where you fall; I don't know if ambush is seen as useful, and I know players variously love/hate backstab.

For balance reasons, it might be best to change stealth to some type of purely defensive buff which enables offensive maneuvers like ambushes, and remove the offense aspect entirely. To counter balance it would have to be less binary than it is now, and give scaling ability to interact/target the hider even if you don't have 'full point/spot' in effect.

It won't ever happen, and opens a lot of worms, and I know a great many players will disagree with me.
Prev_page Previous 1