Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 03/15/2016 10:37 AM CDT
<< If my latest adjustments seem too bad

After some fine tuning for the latest adjustments, i added leth back into my runs and was able to lock in about 10 minutes time.

Last draft was crossing and arthe, which added up to around 6 minutes to lock. Now it's crossing, arthe and leth.

For me the run time now seems to be within the target time frame but might not be the case for people who can find more items within a smaller area, maybe just crossing or arthe.
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 03/15/2016 11:14 AM CDT
>You should be able to snake-eyes into a non-caught ("you quickly back off" etc)

Getting the object and getting caught are separate checks, which is why you can get caught and have the object as well as get caught and not grab the object. It's a very small chance of snake-eyes, and I'm not really comfortable making it smaller given that I've already reduced the chance of getting caught stealing at level.

>I think Defol hit it on the head.

He makes some good points. Part of my original change is using a core EXP granting utility. It has a built in cap for when you outclass the difficulty, so I might be able to remove triviality. You'd learn pretty badly from things that are trivial, but it will help the high levels be able to train a little better. I'll think about it and see how it feels when I get home from work.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 03/15/2016 11:53 AM CDT

I need to play around with it more and try and try more items. I'm at a place where many shops are capped. Some shops have just one item that's a big of an unusually high item level for that shop. In prime, I can nab it. In test with the more narrowly focused exp window now, those items pretty much guarantee a lot of exp but getting caught. The item below is trivial. That puts me in a position where these shops are now not usable (until the point at which the higher item doesn't automatically become a warrant). I do however like the idea of the narrower window for the items teaching better exp, but it gets difficult when item availability is lacking.

Removing the triviality may help with some of this, though I hope how pitiful the teaching is is reflected well enough in messaging so we can determine when its just not worth it.

Jalika
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 03/15/2016 12:39 PM CDT
What about adding support via a Khri that can eliminate the chance for snake eyes for a brief time? Maybe scales from 1-5 minutes so there is still some risk of it during a typical stealing run that should last at least 15 minutes?

GENT
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 03/15/2016 04:30 PM CDT

i just did the normal stealing run i always do and , ened up with same exp and everything, with no new anything? Is this just goin on for the prime people or am i doin something wrong?
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 03/15/2016 04:58 PM CDT
>I just did the normal stealing run i always do and , ened up with same exp and everything, with no new anything? Is this just goin on for the prime people or am I doin something wrong?

The changes are only live on the Test server... and I've just noticed the Elanthipedia page on the test instance really needs an update with a lot of information I don't know!

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 03/15/2016 06:14 PM CDT
>I'll think about it and see how it feels when I get home from work.

Since it's Test, I figured it doesn't hurt anything to put this in. Aside from the two minutes of time it took to do... The Triviality rank in Test is now whenever our core EXP utility stops giving experience. It should still message. Let me know how this feels.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 03/16/2016 12:28 PM CDT
<< The Triviality rank in Test is now whenever our core EXP utility stops giving experience

From what i could gather you might as well put an equals sign between those two and suffice it to say, i was not able to make a noticeable difference by reintroducing any of my formerly trivial items back to my runs. On the upside i feel like there really is no need to have a hard triviality rank now with the new exp messages i.e. "You don't feel you learned anything useful from this trivial theft".

All in all i have to say i enjoyed the first draft a little more than the current one and i know the lock times didn't work out very well but by adding all those trivial items back to my list i was starting to get longer run times. Which gave me an idea that i wanted to discuss.

Right now it seems like 1 or 2 items per shop seems to be the limit, maybe 3 with trivial exp. What if that number was 6ish? That already means 3-6x more time spent per shop.

To put down some napkin math:

5 second for stealing
2 seconds hiding (lets say you re-hide per every 2 items stolen)
6 items per shop

(5 * 6) + (3 * 2) = 36

You spend 36 seconds per shop and if it takes around 12 shops that is 12 * 36 = 432, 7 minutes. Add some travel time, pawning, binning, can't always find the best item, command lag, etc to that and you have 10 minutes.
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 03/16/2016 01:52 PM CDT
I already decreased the repeat steal penalty a tiny bit at low levels to a lot at high levels. I can see about reducing it a bit more at high levels. It's not simple to balance X items per shop.

One thing I removed early on was the EXP penalty to repeat steals. Now every steal of an item teaches the same. I may actually give a small bonus to repeat steals, but not as large as the penalty.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that you previously wouldn't learn Stealth if you were invisible, and you should now.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 03/16/2016 02:47 PM CDT
>> Another thing I forgot to mention is that you previously wouldn't learn Stealth if you were invisible, and you should now.

Oh my gosh thank you so much for this.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 03/16/2016 02:57 PM CDT
<< It's not simple to balance X items per shop.

Ok, that's what i was afraid of. For it to work the way i imagined it would have to be a pretty static increase in items stolen per shop and probably at reduced exp per item.

The exp boost is already a big help and i saved my current run (filtered out travel) if it's any help. All shop and item recommendations are welcome:

http://matoom.github.io/store/2016-03-16-01.html
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 03/16/2016 07:49 PM CDT
I've reduced the repeat steal penalty a little more. The repeat steals also has a small (relative to the penalty) EXP bonus.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 03/17/2016 02:19 PM CDT
<< I've reduced the repeat steal penalty a little more. The repeat steals also has a small (relative to the penalty) EXP bonus.

The "small" and "little" feel like double to everything in practice. Maybe we could try it with the reduced steal penalty but remove the exp bonus? I think it would be better if it was more items but less exp per item.

I now doubled my items stolen and exp gained per shop. Which added a little bit more time spent in each shop and less on travel but overall a pretty quick lock (between 7-8 minutes).

Taking 3-4 items with 4/34ish exp in each shop. It was 1-2 and 2/34ish exp before.
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 03/17/2016 03:30 PM CDT
>a pretty quick lock (between 7-8 minutes).

That's actually pretty close to the target. For most skills we target it at 10 minutes. Thievery has some risks that most other skills don't have, and has especially bad repurcussions for guilded Thieves.

I'd like to hear from some others before I make any decision, since one data point isn't really enough to act. Hopefully some more people can get in and test it over this weekend, so I think I'll leave it where it is until I get a bit more information.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 03/17/2016 04:02 PM CDT
Now if you remove the stupid hour timer I'll call it a solid bandaid. Well done so far.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 03/17/2016 06:36 PM CDT
Any way you could lower the timer for shops in Test to like, 5-10 minutes to help with some testing? Raesh lowered the cannon TM timer to 30 seconds to facilitate testing and it helped a LOT because then we weren't sitting around twiddling our thumbs for awhile.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 03/17/2016 09:35 PM CDT

I'll get in a several runs this weekend (dropping the shop timer would seriously help, if its possible!). Most of my other characters are pretty newbish at thievery unfortunately so I won't have any good input on the mid-range.

Jalika
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 03/18/2016 04:29 PM CDT
Will do some runs this weekend if possible -- not to harp but I agree that finding a way to release the 1 hour shop timer would be a big help to testing -- for those of us with only 1 account, it means we can't play at all while we wait it out.
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 03/18/2016 05:12 PM CDT
The problem with making the repeat steal timer shorter is that it reduces the penalty if you're under half an hour, so setting it to 5-10 minutes would essentially reduce the penalty by a huge amount, and not lead to realistic repeat stealing during your runs.

If you're in test, I can manually remove the repeat timer from you when I'm around. I will endeavor to be around tonight and tomorrow. Sunday will be a bit more difficult, but I'll make an effort.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 03/24/2016 02:23 PM CDT
Played with this some in test and was generally pleased. It's sooo much better than what's live. I feel what's in test allows me to choose if I want to take the safer route and lock within a reasonable time or take the riskier route and lock quicker. The new messaging really helps as well. Having options on how I'd like to train thievery is a very welcome change because as it is I really have to just take everything possible to learn and deal with the repercussions. I honestly felt that maybe I was able to learn a little too quickly, but maybe that's just me being accustomed to the years of it being a such a pain. I'd rather not have thievery become an "easy", "painless" skill to train, but certainly there's a middle ground between "easy" and "painfully difficult". I appreciate the work you've put in. end ramble
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 03/25/2016 07:26 PM CDT

>Played with this some in test and was generally pleased.

Agree with all of this post. I played a bunch last weekend. Basically holding my breath until release. Hoping that the ability to train all thievery in one city isn't too quick, though I haven't done a lot of low level testing. In my runs from crossing to shard they were running about 13 minutes.

Jalika
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 03/26/2016 05:09 PM CDT
Seems things are pretty easy to steal when you think they won't be.

Zone: The Crossing
Shop: Milgrym's Weapons, Showroom
Item: a lever-drawn light crossbow
Thievery: 355.44
Grab: it may be quite the struggle to nab (-4)
Away: you're pretty sure you'll be caught (-4)
Judgment: highly confident
Learning: exceptionally well from this nearly impossible (+3)

Zone: Leth Deriel
Shop: Ongadine's Garb and Gear, Showroom
Item: a ebony silk mantle
Thievery: 355.4
Grab: you don't think well of your chances to lift it (-3)
Away: it's somewhat of a long shot (-3)
Learning: very well from this extremely difficult (+2)

Zone: The Crossing
Shop: Emmiline's Cottage, Sales Floor
Item: an iron-banded parry stick with brown leather straps
Thievery: 355.41
Grab: it may be quite the struggle to nab (-4)
Away: you're pretty sure you'll be caught (-4)
Caught
Learning: exceptionally well from this nearly impossible (+3)

I don't mind it hehe. Just giving a heads up about the ease.

SEND[Naohhi] We'll look into it, but for now, you're making giant errors pop up all over the place on this side. :p
SEND[Naohhi] That means.. please stop.
You have some tiny scratches to the wings.
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 04/10/2016 05:26 PM CDT

Thank you again for taking a look at this! I am really excited about this being released. Anyone have a link explaining how to connect to the test realm? I would like to get in and help with the testing.
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 04/10/2016 06:47 PM CDT
>Anyone have a link explaining how to connect to the test realm?

How do you normally connect (which FE?) to DR?

If you use the SGE game launcher just click on DragonRealms Prime Test when you get to game instance selection screen.

If you use the browser client, click DragonRealms Test on the left side of the character selection screen before clicking Go Play.

If you use Genie:

#connect account password character DRT

Staff uploads/updates characters periodically to the Test instance but it's an involved process. If your character has recently been activated or rolled up you might not have access yet.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 04/12/2016 09:15 PM CDT
I finally got back into test and played with the new thievery.

Item Ranges
Definitely feels like there are items to steal in shops that I had previously outgrown or basically outgrown. This was a plus. I still worry about shops with mono-pricing (see Doll store in shard, for example) or price bands with big jumps between them (see Sierek’s: there are three runes priced at 1800, while the next set of runes jumps to 4500. Granted, in this particular store there are items in between, so it’s not a concern, but there are definitely other stores where band-pricing and the resultant price gaps make it difficult to find items).

Time to Lock
I didn’t time myself since I was going manually from store to store, testing items to find good ones to steal. That said, I was able to lock without much trouble by visiting 7 total shops, which feels a touch low to me. Granted, I was stealing in each shop up to the point of getting caught, but even shaving 1 - 2 grabs off each shop means that I’d be locking in 8-9 shops, and that’s before considering that I wasn’t spending a whole lot of time really optimizing which item to steal and how many times to try. I was grabbing lots of stuff that only trained “acceptably” and/or wasn’t that difficult. As such, this seems fine to me or even a tad quick, though I can never tell how much of my feelings on this are reliable vs. the result of the trauma of training thievery under the current system.

Chance of Getting Caught
Didn’t feel like there was much of one, particularly for non-difficult-to-steal items. I also didn’t feel like the exp reward for the hard to steal items was sufficient for the risk, particularly given how generous items that supposedly train “acceptably” or even “somewhat poorly” were in terms of exp granted.

Shops Visited and details:
(Note that for the below I was under a nearly-worn-off-to-mild stealing timer penalty which I wasn’t going to hang around test long enough to let wear off entirely.)

Alchemist
Stole 3 pyramids (even odds, trained acceptably) in the alchemist, caught on the third
Backroom
Stole 8 yelith roots (eyes closed, trained acceptably), warned off on the 9th. Went from 4/34 to 11/34

General Store
Stole 1 Light Crossbow (more likely than not, trained acceptably) and was caught. Didn’t gain a mindstate.

Fiona
Stole 6 Eleven Telos (Not Difficult; trained acceptably), caught on the 6th. Went from 11/34 to 18/34.

Stitchery
Stole 8 adjectiveless gowns (Not difficult; trained acceptably), caught on the 8th. 18/34 - 27/34.

Sierek’s Reagents:
Instead of stealing Elbaite Runestones (Not difficult) I tried out Xibaryl Runes (maybe troublesome). Despite being “extremely difficult” and training “very well,” I was able to steal 5 without being caught. On my 6th attempt I both missed the grab and was caught trying. Went from 27/34 - 33/34.

In Sum
Overall really like the direction and feel of the changes. The new messaging and additional detail is much appreciated, though I do wonder about the accuracy of some of the difficulty and training messaging. I also worry that risk-taking is not sufficiently incentivized in the new system, given the relaxation in terms of the number of items per shop it makes sense to steal. Far be it from me to defend thievery in its current incarnation, but the balance it tries to strike between your incentive to steal the single highest item in your range, and the risk that doing so entails, does make it optimal to sometimes get caught. Under the new system, I worry that if you’re trying to steal items on which there’s any kind of chance of getting caught, you’re doing it wrong. Of course, all this is based on not all that extensive of testing. Will try to carve out some time to do some more this weekend. Thanks to Javac (and any others in the background) for all the work put into this already!
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 04/16/2016 11:16 AM CDT
Its looking good! Any idea when this update will hit production?
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 06/01/2016 06:03 PM CDT
These are now live in Plat and Prime. Sorry for the delay, RL has hit me hard the past couple of months.

Let me know if you see any issues.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 06/01/2016 06:37 PM CDT
Thanks Javac!

Since it's been a while, could you detail the exact tweaks?

Sorry if I've been annoying asking for updates.
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 06/01/2016 07:06 PM CDT
>Since it's been a while, could you detail the exact tweaks?

Change include:
- General increase in the target difficulty of an item
- General decrease in the chance to get caught
- Decreased the repeat steal penalty, mostly on the upper ends
- Switched the method of determining how much EXP is granted (this should be a general boost)
- Added feedback about how well you learned (same order as APPRAISE <critter>) so non-guilded Thieves have an idea where they are relative to the item
- Repeat steals in a shop no longer penalize EXP, and actually bonus it slightly
- Being invisible while stealing now teaches Stealth

I think that's everything, but may have missed something.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 06/01/2016 07:43 PM CDT
I don't think it's working correctly. Impossible grabs seem to reward 0 exp. Ugly log below.

I also stole about 8 bundles of arrows for exp each time without getting caught. Honestly, I think that's great. It means rather than needing 4,000 random items in a billion shops I can repeat steal in one without just getting slaughtered.

Thievery: 211 41% perusing (2/34)

> mark stiletto

You begin to carefully size up your chances at nabbing a slender stiletto.
Considering actually grabbing the item, you don't think well of your chances to lift it.
Regarding getting away with the theft, it's somewhat of a long shot.
You feel highly confident in the accuracy of your judgement.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

> steal stiletto

H>
Moving stealthily, you manage to grab a slender stiletto right from underneath the true-smith Fiona's very nose.
You learned exceptionally well from this nearly impossible theft.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

Thievery: 211 43% perusing (2/34)

(a few other grabs here)

Thievery: 211 43% learning (3/34)

HR> mark linen tunic

H>
You begin to carefully size up your chances at nabbing a linen tunic emblazoned with a charging war mammoth.
Considering actually grabbing the item, it may be quite the struggle to nab.
Regarding getting away with the theft, you're pretty sure you'll be caught.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
HR> steal linen tunic

Moving stealthily, you manage to grab a linen tunic right from underneath a sales clerk's very nose.
You learned exceptionally well from this nearly impossible theft.

Thievery: 211 45.20% learning (3/34)
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 06/01/2016 08:02 PM CDT
>I don't think it's working correctly. Impossible grabs seem to reward 0 exp.

I'm going to need more info. Character name preferably so I can watch you steal stuff. If you can, assist on the character right now.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 06/01/2016 08:27 PM CDT

>>I'm going to need more info. Character name preferably so I can watch you steal stuff. If you can, assist on the character right now.

Its a trap, he's going to call the guards!
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 06/01/2016 08:43 PM CDT
He did actually. I got caught.

Anyway, Javac said everything looked right, and I was getting exp. Mostly just a pool-size thing. The hard theft was definitely giving more exp reward than the easier ones.
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 06/01/2016 08:52 PM CDT
>He did actually. I got caught.

At least three times. ::cackles::

Javac
That one guy

Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 06/02/2016 08:49 PM CDT
I've been playing with this a bit more and I'm pretty happy so far.

I can train stealing on fairly 'remedial' items because I can do a bunch of grabs in shops now. I don't need to find 2 items per shop for 40+ shops since the drop off/risk exponential doesn't hit me.

Feels a lot easier and more pleasant to train. I was able to lock in Zoluren doing about 60-70% of my 'normal' run, which would not have even locked me.
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 06/02/2016 09:25 PM CDT
At the very, very low end things seem to have gotten harder, I'll check tomorrow when I get rid of this warrent...
I haven't been able to do much stealing yet, but I got an odd result from Smaragdaus' Joy shop in Riverhaven. With 19 in thievery perfume marks as more than easiest, yet trains less than other items that mark as easier. And stealing a really difficult item (hair brush from dry goods store) was only acceptable; same as easy ones in other shops. So that's kind of funny.

>mark perfume
You begin to carefully size up your chances at nabbing some musk hog perfume.
Considering actually grabbing the item, it would be stealable even with your eyes closed.
Regarding getting away with the theft, perhaps it's a little risky.
Roundtime: 8 sec.
>steal perfume
Moving stealthily, you manage to grab some musk hog perfume right from underneath Nigurf Liitseit's very nose.
You learned quite badly from this nearly trivial theft.
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 06/02/2016 09:26 PM CDT
>- General increase in the target difficulty of an item

Is difficulty still solely based on the item's weight and APPRAISE value?

And... I'm assuming this makes all the Stealing lists on Elanthipedia useless. <WANH>

GENT
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 06/02/2016 09:33 PM CDT
They should still be useful as an approximate general ranking.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 06/02/2016 10:10 PM CDT
>Is difficulty still solely based on the item's weight and APPRAISE value?

Yes.

>And... I'm assuming this makes all the Stealing lists on Elanthipedia useless. <WANH>

Yeah... but everyone has a new tool to identify the difficulty of an item relative to skill.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Shoplifting EXP Tweaks in Test 06/02/2016 10:13 PM CDT

> Yeah... but everyone has a new tool to identify the difficulty of an item relative to skill.

Oh really?