Prev_page Previous 1
Nissa's Binding 09/08/2002 02:19 PM CDT
I'm putting this on hold for now until I talk to Loriene about it. I want to change several things about it and need to pow-wow with her. It won't be released this weekend.

Rigby
Re: Nissa's Binding 09/08/2002 02:23 PM CDT
Thanks for the heads up, Rigby.

Shaunn
No Nissa's Binding For You! 09/11/2002 05:04 PM CDT
...until you change the thread name! Well, actually it's live. And you can cast it. So it's a little late to use it as a bargaining chip.

Some changes went into place on how it determines if the caster falls asleep. It's still fairly difficult, but Loriene and I played with the spell until we were both happy with it.

Enjoy,

Rigby
Re: No Nissa's Binding For You! 09/11/2002 05:30 PM CDT
Any hints on what factors are included in order to stay awake?

winkwinknudgenudge

Shaunn
Re: No Nissa's Binding For You! 09/11/2002 05:55 PM CDT
Nevermind, I figured it out.

Shaunn

PS Loriene, love you lots k thx.
Re: No Nissa's Binding For You! 09/11/2002 07:11 PM CDT
First, glad to have it back and even more glad to be able to stay awake.

I'm still toying with it so I'll prolly post again later but had a request...would it be possible to be able to set our avoids while asleep...since they are rather OOC anyway?

~Maddie
Re: No Nissa's Binding For You! 09/11/2002 09:00 PM CDT
What about checks to see if the victim (the person the spell was cast upon) can not be put to sleep. There seems to be no checks whatsoever as to whether or not you can resist the sleeping effects of the spell. There should atleast be some sort of life threatining check in the spell code somewhere.

Sabashtin..
Re: No Nissa's Binding For You! 09/11/2002 09:05 PM CDT
No checks for this! Heart link signifies that you should run! Run like a stage full of Japanese extras in the wake of the onslaught that is Godzilla. Fear me!

Shaunn
Re: No Nissa's Binding For You! 09/11/2002 09:08 PM CDT
<<What about checks to see if the victim (the person the spell was cast upon) can not be put to sleep.>>

::crosses out the word victim and writes PATIENT in big bold letters::

<<There should atleast be some sort of life threatining check in the spell code somewhere.>>

The spell can be used as a combat (PvP) aid, just as Nissa herself used it to put many to sleep and rescue a child. Putting such a check in would defeat that purpose.

Rigby, how about letting us learn some TM from this spell (or possibly) innocence, since TM is still factored into our overall magic score and we have no active way to learn it unless we use a spell scroll (which are hard for many Empaths to come by).

~Maddie
Re: No Nissa's Binding For You! 09/11/2002 09:43 PM CDT
>The spell can be used as a combat (PvP) aid, just as Nissa herself used it to put many to sleep and rescue a child. Putting such a check in would defeat that purpose.

If its used for pvp, then there should be a way to resist it, other than don't get heart linked.

>Rigby, how about letting us learn some TM from this spell (or possibly) innocence, since TM is still factored into our overall magic score and we have no active way to learn it unless we use a spell scroll (which are hard for many Empaths to come by).

Or ...not, since TM is damaging spells. (if ema ever gets fixed <scowl>)
Re: No Nissa's Binding For You! 09/11/2002 09:48 PM CDT
Hello...war mage on samatak ::thwap::

<<If its used for pvp, then there should be a way to resist it, other than don't get heart linked.>>

I'd rather see a sliding scale where the length of sleep is proportional to skill of Empath vs. skill of Patient. I've been testing the spell out and while one other Empath said this seemed to be the case I haven't been able to arrive at the conclusion yet.

<<Or ...not, since TM is damaging spells. (if ema ever gets fixed <scowl>)>>

Hahahaha...we so getting it ::taunt::

~Maddie
Re: No Nissa's Binding For You! 09/11/2002 10:04 PM CDT
Hmm not to be a party-pooper, cause I like resisting sleeping just fine, but are you guys sure that's the way you want NB to be working?

Oh and er why is it I can still teach/be taught while I'm asleep, but can't do the ooc things like find another player and stuff like that.

Paschein's player..
Re: No Nissa's Binding For You! 09/11/2002 10:13 PM CDT
>Hahahaha...we so getting it ::taunt::

Someone get maddie some meds, she's delusional again.
Re: No Nissa's Binding For You! 09/12/2002 11:51 PM CDT
Rigby,

I am happy with Nissa's Binding as it is now. Thank you. This praise and gratitude from a grumpy ol' path who doesn't think NB is a spell I need, anyways, but who does indeed see a great great improvement in it and I'm ever grateful for that.

If such a preview is a taste of what is to come with our Empath spells, then I'm utterly delighted and in awe of you, too.

My thanks go also to Lorienne, for being focused on truly worthwhile and helpful endeavors for our guild (which has long been in 'wait for such things)!

I cannot pass on this opportunity to say that I am also very pleased with regenerate...a new to me spell since it wasn't around before I left the realms for my long sabbatical. Tis wonderful.

Though I am disappointed we can't stack refresh or raise power, am not surprised. It expected. I don't when it was untweaked, but I do remember that tweak once before when the spell first came out.

Anyhow, enough of babble from this 'path that is likely bothering you. Now I can only hope for further enhancements...hopefully something to help with multiple-ops since empaths learn that skill so dreadfully slow (tis such a hinderence to be beat up by critters in multiples dispite being unable to learn evasion or parry from them).

Thanks much to you both!

~Amorisse
Re: No Nissa's Binding For You! 09/12/2002 11:57 PM CDT
there is a check...a patient of sufficient number of circles higher than you or with more charisma is more difficult to cast NB on.

As it is, it requires a big chunk of mana comparitively, relative to other spells in other guilds.

And as Shaunn mentioned, there is also the time to do heart link (which cannot be snap-cast very quickly.)

with that in place, only ones who'd really be effective are those empaths of higher circle with charisma and PM/harness enough....that narrows it down a bit... plus, I highly doubt we're going to have snert empaths causing any trouble any more than we'd have snert snipers causing trouble. Such stuff doesn't happen in the realms. We are all friends in this one big lovey-dovey world.

~Amo

"Fear the empaths!"
Re: No Nissa's Binding For You! 09/13/2002 12:29 AM CDT
<<As it is, it requires a big chunk of mana comparitively, relative to other spells in other guilds.>>

I have no problem with NB, but I really wish people wouldn't go off making statements like this. I have to cast quite a few of my spells at over 50 mana to get useful effects out of them, and I really doubt you're casting NB at 70 or 80 mana.

Also... I hope this part:

<<I highly doubt we're going to have snert empaths causing any trouble any more than we'd have snert snipers causing trouble. Such stuff doesn't happen in the realms. We are all friends in this one big lovey-dovey world.>>

was a joke.
Re: No Nissa's Binding For You! 09/13/2002 12:49 AM CDT
Should I tell? So much more fun if I don't ;) Maybe it's the other way around, eh? The first a joke, the second utter sincerity.

It's all gospel, I say, especially the Fear of the Empaths. Watch out! We're taking over the world!

~Amo

In Response To:
>>>Also... I hope this part:

<<I highly doubt we're going to have snert empaths causing any trouble any more than we'd have snert snipers causing trouble. Such stuff doesn't happen in the realms. We are all friends in this one big lovey-dovey world.>>

was a joke.<<<

p.s. as a player, I don't content myself with one guild...have played many characters--magic casters and non-- of sufficient levels to have a sense of what's beyond the Empath guild. There is not a disproportionate balance between NB and other spells. And there are perfectly IC reasons for the spell. As for any practical uses, I see none. Even awake, I don't see a reason for the spell. But I defend the right of any 'path to have it as it is, without any further tweaks, despite the jitters of those who "fear the empaths."
Re: No Nissa's Binding For You! 09/13/2002 01:01 AM CDT
p.p.s. the best use for Nissa's Binding, as I see it, may be hubby control. ::chuckles softly::

Yes. That's it. No joke. I never joke. I don't even know what I joke is. I sit here grumbly and uptight and fidgetty in front of a 'puter to play a game that I think is unfair and unrealistic and run by people who want to make my life miserable. There is no such thing as humor! That is not why I play DR! I have a right as a paying customer to avoid humor as much as I want. I have a right to cry foul every time anyone other than I gets something that seems special. Only I am special. Yes. Me. Of course this is not a joke. What kind of sick joke do you think I'd pull? It is totally normal to rant and moan about such things as arbitrary as game mechanics. I mean, sheesh, DR is a God-given right I tell you! This GMs work for us, the people: The ones who keep them in business! Now I really have a complaint going, and I'm going to go post in a few other guild's folders, too, to tell them how rude they are to have good spells and not look after me the moment I want them to!

::walks away shaking head and stomping feet, muttering, "Can y' believe it?? A joke of all things! When will the madness stop? When?" and shaking a fist at the sky imploringly:::

Disclaimer: this post is an utterly random and fictional diatribe in reaction to absolutely no other post or poster. Any resemblence to any other persons, whether real or role-played, is purely coincidental.
Re: No Nissa's Binding For You! 09/13/2002 11:48 AM CDT
half the post sounds like my IG wife the other half sounds like my RL mother

pity me
Nissa's Binding - message bug? 09/14/2002 01:45 AM CDT
>cast
You gesture.
You feel <Patient> fall under the effects of your spell.
Your spell does not affect the sleeping <Patient>.
You feel a wave of lethargy wash over you, and fall into a deep sleep.

As far as I can tell, the patient did get affected... so what's the double message? Is that in case you try to cast a Nissa's Binding on someone who's already asleep? He wasn't asleep before it was cast, as indicated in the first line...

- Shavay, Whistling Healer
Nissa's Binding Request 09/18/2002 02:38 AM CDT
Nissa's Binding is working...much better than before. Was wondering for a few things, though:

~Can empaths have a way (a spell hopefully) to wake up the sleepers?

~Can avoids be set while sleeping (at least avoid drag!)

~Can it be worked out so it can be cast more quickly? As it stands, I'd never be able to use it to save a life. Using Heart Link and transfering the wounds alone is much much faster than waiting to prep Nissa's Binding. I know there are folks who "Fear the Empaths" but the most we can do while they sleep is talk them to death. And that wouldn't happen... we know we're being tracked and I'll personally get shock to go after any empath abusing this spell. I promise. I would really like this spell to have some use in healing...

Thanks,

~Amo
Re: Nissa's Binding Request 09/18/2002 11:51 AM CDT
<<As it stands, I'd never be able to use it to save a life. Using Heart Link and transfering the wounds alone is much much faster than waiting to prep Nissa's Binding.>>

Sure you could...you can snap cast it at minimum prep...you'll just fall asleep along with the patient.

~Maddie
Nissa's Binding = Stabilize? 09/21/2002 06:00 PM CDT
I found this to be a bit strange...

>pre stabilize 15

You're pretty sure that will disrupt less than half your current attunement.
You close your eyes and breathe deeply, gathering energy for the Nissa's Binding spell.

...bug?

-Karthor
Heart Link and Nissa's Binding 05/28/2003 12:23 AM CDT
Hi :) Hope all is well out in GM land. I have a couple questions about these two empath spells, heart link and nissa's binding I was hoping you might have a chance to address...or look at, please:

on Heart Link...could it be just slightly more quickly castable? With mid savant magic and minimum prep, it still needs to be timed out. Can you make it a bit easier to cast as it's a life saving spell and can't be used as such if must wait to cast.

on Nissa's Binding... could the time the person sleeps please please please be significicantly lowered? If I prep it at 10 and cast it, yes, the sleep is short, but I sleep also. I don't want to sleep also in most circumstances..that would cause me to be unable to heal or do anything. If I add 20 mana to it, I don't sleep, but my patient will sleep for a long long time...quite annoying.

I know some are concerned about the misuse of this spell, but there are those of us who'd use it responsibility and would take the in game repercussions like big kids and not cry about it if we did use the spell in any agressive way... Let this spell not be one with limited capabilities. Sure it was interesting to put Grishnok to sleep whenever he was dumb enough to show himself to me...but there are only so many big dumb goblins out there (hehe...no offense to Grishy's player...I just have a thing against goblins who steal my head).

Anyhow, I don't want to 'cause an uproar...just want to see if you'd reconsider how Nissa's Binding works and also how quickly heart link is cast.

Oh, and for the empath falling asleep when cast at lower mana...can that have a delayed affect, like with Nissa herself? She didn't fall asleep until much later...

thank you for reading this :)

~*player of Amorisse, and others

_____________________________________________ "Can you even dye my eyes to match my gown?" ~Dorothy

For more information on empaths who shift, go to:
http://www.coalition.fairmount.nu
Re: Heart Link and Nissa's Binding 05/28/2003 08:13 AM CDT
I'd rather have a way to actively release someone from the sleep myself than see the maximum sleep time lowered.

Shaunn
Re: Heart Link and Nissa's Binding 05/28/2003 08:16 AM CDT
> on Nissa's Binding... could the time the person sleeps please please please be significicantly lowered? If I prep it at 10 and cast it, yes, the sleep is short, but I sleep also. I don't want to sleep also in most circumstances..that would cause me to be unable to heal or do anything. If I add 20 mana to it, I don't sleep, but my patient will sleep for a long long time...quite annoying.

Personally, rather than lowering the time to mana ratio, I'd change the way the non-sleeping feature works.

Rather than have whether the empath sleeps or not dependent on how much harness you pump into the spell, I think it should simply be based on your magic skills (And maybe some will versus will, and stats and other good stuff like that.)

This way you could still put a lot of mana into the spell and sleep someone for a long time if you wanted or put small mana for a short time without sleeping.

~Y

Fyearikrifiic!
http://www.bakshiloa.com
Nissa's Binding 07/28/2008 08:09 AM CDT
<<Heart Link doesn't disable anyone. You're thinking of Nissa's binding. Train stamina (or shield) and you'll be fine. You need to get away from the idea that Shear and SoD can protect you from everything out there.

One Nissa's Binding, not so bad. Two Nissa's Binding not so much. I have 40 stamina, pretty good amount for an Eloth Moon Mage, but it probably wont compare to an empath who is specialized in Stamina. So you are telling me that an empath has no way to get you prone so that Nissa's Binding can go to work? The last time I was effected by the spell I was taken to sleep standing up.

Galren, certainly you think that defensive spells should work against magic. What would you say if melee attacks circumvented evasion or parry?

Pelag ai Aldam Stolas

People ask me all the time what it is like to play my character. So I tell them it is like being the Karate Kid except Mr Miyagi isnt helping you out.
Re: Nissa's Binding 07/28/2008 10:29 AM CDT
>>So you are telling me that an empath has no way to get you prone so that Nissa's Binding can go to work? The last time I was effected by the spell I was taken to sleep standing up.

I believe it's a hybrid in that the SvS contest is only if you're standing. If you are sitting down or lying down NB assumes you're in need of help which makes the spell be considered beneficial and not contested. The only way I know that an Empath can bring you to prone or sitting is via brawling, but that's not to say they couldn't work in combo with a WM casting IP or a Ranger casting HB etc.

>>What would you say if melee attacks circumvented evasion or parry?

Like backstab? Or DFA spells circumventing shield? Sometimes there are going to be exceptions to the rule. Whether these exceptions should exist is another discussion entirely.

~Thilan
Re: Nissa's Binding 07/28/2008 10:31 AM CDT
<<So you are telling me that an empath has no way to get you prone so that Nissa's Binding can go to work? The last time I was effected by the spell I was taken to sleep standing up.>>

Last time I was slept i was standing as well, but I think Reene said when your lying down there is no check vs. standing there is a check.

<<they cast HL on you and you go and sit down somewhere, you kind of deserve what you get.>>

So heart link sleeps you if you sit or lie down? Is it immediate?

Also Galren, you said train shield.....you can block Nissa's binding with shield? Didn't know that-good info.

Thanks.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Nissa's Binding 07/28/2008 10:41 AM CDT
I think Galren ment shield is still contested while you are a sleep from other attacks.

Crusader Taghz

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: Nissa's Binding 07/28/2008 10:47 AM CDT
<<I think Galren ment shield is still contested while you are a sleep from other attacks.>>

OIC

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Nissa's Binding 07/28/2008 10:53 AM CDT
>So heart link sleeps you if you sit or lie down? Is it immediate?

Not Heart Link, Nissa's Binding. HL is required to be cast first though. As mentioned earlier in the thread, HL slows down bleeding and poison and is usually beneficial in and of itself. If the Empath wins the NB contest and has sufficient skill then they could sleep you while you're standing standing and not sleep themself as well. If they don't have sufficient skill but still pass the NB contest you both sleep.

Asbhuan
Re: Nissa's Binding 07/29/2008 02:32 AM CDT
<<Not Heart Link, Nissa's Binding. HL is required to be cast first though. As mentioned earlier in the thread, HL slows down bleeding and poison and is usually beneficial in and of itself. If the Empath wins the NB contest and has sufficient skill then they could sleep you while you're standing standing and not sleep themself as well. If they don't have sufficient skill but still pass the NB contest you both sleep.

What skill or did you mean the SvS contest?

Pelag ai Aldam Stolas

People ask me all the time what it is like to play my character. So I tell them it is like being the Karate Kid except Mr Miyagi isnt helping you out.
Re: Nissa's Binding 07/29/2008 06:01 AM CDT
Nissa's Binding needs two fixes, in my opinion.

1) Maximum duration needs to come down, or being attacked needs to wake the target up.

2) NB should only be castable for effect when the target is in the same room with the empath.

That would address all the PvP issues with the spell while leaving the beneficial effects, should the empath team want to go that way with the spell.

- Mazrian
Re: Nissa's Binding 07/29/2008 06:36 AM CDT
Besides the check to see if the Empath can sleep the standing person, the Empath also has to have sufficient magic skill to avoid not sleeping themself as well. NB also has the beneficial aspect of slowing bleeding, poison and disease and can result in some recovery of the slept person's health. Just need to be careful they don't bleed to death if you the Empath sleep as well.

It is long lasting right now and if you have the skill to not sleep yourself you can keep someone down for a very very long time. That is slated for change.

Asbhuan
Re: Nissa's Binding 07/29/2008 06:42 AM CDT
>>1) Maximum duration needs to come down, or being attacked needs to wake the target up.

I do believe that there is already a chance for a sleeping target to wake up when attacked. I have no official opinion on the other points made as that's out of my area.

GM Oolan Jeel

"This island is made mainly of coal and surrounded by fish. Only an organizing genius could produce a shortage of coal and fish at the same time." Aneurin Bevan, May 1945, on World War II rationing and shortages in England.
Re: Nissa's Binding 07/29/2008 06:53 AM CDT
>>I do believe that there is already a chance for a sleeping target to wake up when attacked. I have no official opinion on the other points made as that's out of my area.<<

Maybe. I've never been prematurely awoken, even after being nicked and scuffed half to death by an avenger.

- Mazrian
Re: Nissa's Binding 07/29/2008 09:47 AM CDT
>> Maybe.

Not maybe, true.

It's actually pretty bloody common, and very annoying when you're trying to hunt with it since it takes a lot of mana to keep casting.

Rev. Reene

SEND[Averiss] what were you recently doing with the mirror and the horse?

Idon: Is there something I should know about?
Me: I'm not even talking to you.
Re: Nissa's Binding 07/29/2008 01:37 PM CDT
Pro tip: circling or bobbing someone counts as an attack and can wake someone up... useful for helping a friend. Best is to feint at melee with 0% attack stance though, because the RT is lower.
Re: Nissa's Binding 07/29/2008 04:03 PM CDT
Weird ... I just wanted the spell to interact with defensive spells since it is used to attack people. I can handle death from bleeding, but being put to sleep while avengers are attacking you seemed overpowered.

Pelag ai Aldam Stolas

Prev_page Previous 1