Prev_page Previous 1
Compost 09/06/2002 01:18 PM CDT
Ok.... this is an.. umm.. experiment casting compost in a room with about 25 adan'f boxes.

>cast
You gesture.
The mana you were holding contributes to the spell.
The tiny metal lever on the front fails to move, so you direct your attentions on the bladder in the notch. It proves too difficult to manipulate, and suddenly constricts due to your efforts. The liquid contents of the bladder empty, spraying you completely.
Slowly, you push on the green rune and attempt to move it away from the lock, but your finger slips slightly causing you to rub it. It glows a bright green then dims and you notice the world around you has gotten much bigger!
Careful not to jostle the deobar skippet, you reach down and scoop a pinchful of dirt from the ground. You feel like you've done a good job of blocking up the pinholes, until you peer closely to examine your handywork. At that moment, small puffs of blue powder shoot out of the unblocked pinholes and into your face.

Almost immediately, you grow dizzy, tottering from side to side until finally collapsing to the ground, dead asleep.
Slowly, you push on the rune in an attempt to move it away from the lock, but your finger slips slightly causing you to rub it. It glows bright within the casket and emits a sound like tormented souls being freed, then fades away suddenly.

Ok... First of all... it gives messaging as if had disarmed the boxes and failed.

Secondly, the cursed box somehow leaped into my hand and implanted itself there.

Third, apparently you can't be asleep and a toad at the same time. I was a toad, then, after the toadness wore off, I was asleep.

Fourth, you if you are a toad, you can leave the room while you have creatures at melee with you.

-Frogspawn
Re: Compost 09/06/2002 02:32 PM CDT
<<Ok.... this is an.. umm.. experiment casting compost in a room with about 25 adan'f boxes.>>

While I don't know about your third and fourth observation, I can tell you that compost tripped trapped boxes on the ground before the new magic ... and that a cursed box on the ground will jump into the hand of whomever trips the trap (in this case the caster of compost). I'm not certain about the first one but I definitely smell Rigby's handiwork on the second part.

Gizella
Re: Compost 09/06/2002 03:19 PM CDT
That was already well known, Gizella. He is pointing out how the messaging makes no sense. It is using the same messaging as if the box was in his hand when it is in fact across the room. The cursed box leaped into his hand and in other cases the messaging talks of manipulating parts of the box with his hands (as if he was actually disarming it) rather than going off because it was composted.

This in itself is another well-known problem, one we can only hope Daecir addressed as part of hte rewrite to disarm. Anyone think to mention it over in the Boxes folder under the Thieves' category?

~~~Krin
Re: Compost 09/06/2002 03:22 PM CDT
<<He is pointing out how the messaging makes no sense.>>

::blink:: Frogspawn's a he?
Re: Compost 09/06/2002 03:34 PM CDT
Details, details. I couldn't remember who originally posted it and didn't feel like scrolling back to look. :-P

Actually meant to use "they" and keep it neutral but was a bit distracted.

~~~Krin
Re: Compost 09/06/2002 06:58 PM CDT
there was a problem back when burn consumed lock boxes and opened em up <g> way certain traps reacted (how was a poison trap that was meant to affect one person affect the room?) kinda stuff kept happening, I'm the was fixed I'm guessing thats the fix <g>
Re: Compost 09/07/2002 12:33 PM CDT
That messaging issue is a problem with the traps, not the spell. Please post it somewhere for Daecir to see (I'm guessing the Thief boards, I stopped reading those a long time ago). It should be on the list of things to fix for Boxes v2.1.

Rigby
Compost bug, or PP bug? 10/29/2002 09:04 AM CST
PP doesn't seem to notice the effects of Compost. Log below, edited, "***" added for emphasis. If this was already known, forgive the redundancy.

~Folcwyn

>l
[Dark Woodlands, Rugged Trail]
Deep shadows begin to fall long across the hillside as the foliage grows denser. Birds chitter softly back and forth to each other from the safety of the trees, as if signaling a quiet warning to all who traverse the woodlands. You also see a cleaned la'tami hide with a few fleas on it, a cleaned la'tami hide with a few fleas on it, a cleaned la'tami hide with a few fleas on it, a cleaned la'tami hide with a few fleas on it, a cleaned la'tami hide with a few fleas on it, a cleaned la'tami hide with a few fleas on it, a cleaned la'tami hide with a few fleas on it, a cleaned la'tami hide with a few fleas on it, a cleaned la'tami hide with a few fleas on it, a cleaned la'tami hide with a few fleas on it, a cleaned la'tami hide with a few fleas on it, and a spindly mushroom.
Obvious paths: northeast, south.

>per
You reach out with your senses and see softly shining streams of Life energy coursing through the area.
You can sense that there is a bit less mana to the northeast, the same amount of mana to the south.
Roundtime: 10 seconds

>You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.
>cast
You gesture.
A cleaned la'tami hide, a cleaned la'tami hide, a cleaned la'tami hide, a cleaned la'tami hide, a cleaned la'tami hide, a cleaned la'tami hide, a cleaned la'tami hide, a cleaned la'tami hide, a cleaned la'tami hide, a cleaned la'tami hide, a cleaned la'tami hide, and a spindly mushroom rapidly decay, releasing a significant amount of Life mana.

>per
You reach out with your senses and see flaring streams of Life energy coursing through the area.
You can sense that there is a bit less mana to the northeast, the * same amount of mana to the south. *
You sense the Sphere of Protection spell upon you, which should last for about eleven roisaen.
Roundtime: 6 seconds

>s
>[Dark Woodlands, Rugged Trail]
Nature, with all its mysterious forces, works undisturbed in this remote wilderness. The soft gurgle of nearby waters becomes welcome music to the ears, though the stand of towering silverwood and spruce trees on the horizon does not offer up the same invitation.
Obvious paths: north, down.

>per
You reach out with your senses and see softly shining streams of Life energy coursing through the area.
You can sense that there is the * same amount of mana to the north *, the same amount of mana below.
You sense the Sphere of Protection spell upon you, which should last for about eleven roisaen.
Roundtime: 10 seconds
Re: Compost bug, or PP bug? 10/29/2002 10:41 AM CST
Its just PP.
Re: Compost bug, or PP bug? 10/29/2002 06:50 PM CST
Yeah, it is. And it's because the system is system wide, and they probably just missed it. We're waiting for them to fix it with YS too, if they plan on even doing that. You get a warning when it's wearing off now, so maybe they won't.

-Zakarious, Storm Mage
Compost 12/11/2002 10:53 AM CST
Is the rapid mana decay on the plate to be looked at?

It would be a great spell if one actually had enough time to use the mana.
Compost messed up? 07/19/2004 12:00 PM CDT

>prep compost 10
You close your eyes and breathe deeply, gathering energy for the Compost spell.
>
[Wilds, Pine Needle Path]
A well-trod path leads from a small open gateway in the town wall and heads into a grove of whispering pine. Lean, muscular figures stride by you briskly, some carrying longbows, others staves, and all garbed in muted tones of earth and forest. You also see a full-grown wolf, a bejeweled platinum tailband, a telgi cigar, a tree root, a tree root, a tree root, a tree root, a tree root, a tree root, a tree root, a tree root, a tree root, a tree root, and a journeyman.
Also here: Virge and Annieka.
Obvious paths: north.
>cast
You gesture.
There is nothing here that could decay.

Eh, something not right with that. When I'd left to get meat for my wolf those roots were there, I came back tried to compost... no go. :(

~Akashera

"Nothing is so strong as gentleness; Nothing is so gentle as real strength."
De Sales
Re: Compost messed up? 07/19/2004 12:07 PM CDT
Has something to do with your wolf, I think. If you prep your spell, run north, wait until the wolf follows, and then head south and cast it will work. No, I did not read Krin's post, I found this on my own <coughs>

Player of Raydell, among many others.

Compost 10/27/2004 01:45 PM CDT
Dear Team Magic,

Please may we be granted the compost spell, either as a true guild spell or allow us to learn the spell permanently from scrolls? Rationale behind the request follows.

Compost is a life mana spell which generates life mana upon use. Empaths are the most magically-oriented guild to utilize life mana currently, the mana bonus would be extremely helpful and appropriate for our guild.

The new empath circling requirements include foraging. Largely because of this, empaths are foraging more than before, littering rooms with huge amounts of organic material which is inconvenient, an eyesore and a drain on the system. Compost alleviates this problem.

Empaths have a fairly small spellbook, running out of spells around circle 50. I personally have 15 open spell slots. Compost fits our needs and guild focus perfectly. Surely it would be easier to let us share this spell with rangers than invest time and effort into creating an empathic counterpart then getting it QC'd.

Precedent for spell sharing has been set with SOP. Plus, Reexa said it's ok with her if we can persuade you so please may we have the compost spell?

Passionata
Re: Compost 10/27/2004 03:29 PM CDT
> the mana bonus would be extremely helpful and appropriate for our guild.

Just to be devil's advocate. That mana boost is generally small, except for a few foragables, and it lasts on average about 30 seconds. To get any decent use out of it, you need someone constantly casting to keep that mana level up. You also already have a mana raising spell, Raise Power, which works significantly better. While I do agree that it does sorta kinda fit in a sphere of influence, it could just as easily be said that there are other guilds who could benefit from just such a spell. Come ot think of it, anyone who forages could benefit from it, and they need survival skills, (e.g. foraging) for reqs, so it fits as well. Also, what book would it fall under? It's in our Nature Manipulation Book. What empathic influence would it fall under? The only one that wuld come close would be life force manipulation, and gaining magic at the expense of decaying other life forces, allbeit semi-dead already, seems a bit out of an empath's realm. IMHO anyway. I'm always open to being wrong.

Phairdon, Wandyfarer

The difference between being lost and exploring is about 5 minutes and two right turns.

AIM Beaker326th
Re: Compost 10/27/2004 05:42 PM CDT
Not that I don't want empaths to have it, cause it wouldn't bother me a bit, but if you're hoping for it for mana purposes, Phairdon is right. Its really pretty bad. You can forage a rediculous amount of items. Had 2 people forage up wood for some 10 minutes filling like 4 backpacks, dumping it all out, and cast, and got to blinding...for about 10 seconds. By the time you regain your mana from the cast, the mana effective from the spell has pretty much dropped significantly if not disappeared all together.

While we've asked for this boost to be upgraded, response is that the mana addition is merely a small benefit, not the intended main purpose of the spell, and also that it is a low tier spell. Raise mana is MUCH more effective.

It would be nice for empaths though to rid themselves of the mess of foragables, though I tend to forage near a bin/bucket/basket anyways, just to keep things neater.

Jalika
Re: Compost 10/27/2004 06:05 PM CDT
>Phairdon is right.

Wow.....I'm not sure I've heard a woman admit that before. Oh yeah, and we need longer mana duration on compost.

Phairdon, Wandyfarer

The difference between being lost and exploring is about 5 minutes and two right turns.

AIM Beaker326th
Re: Compost 10/27/2004 07:00 PM CDT
Yes, the mana usefulness is pretty much non-existent. Yes, the nature of the spell isn't perfect for Empaths. But it is Life Magic and would help them take care of all the stuff lying around while getting their foraging training done.

Arcelebor

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
Re: Compost 10/27/2004 09:26 PM CDT
We no longer know for sure if foraging will be a part of our requirements. We can guess that it's likely since it was part of them prior to the bit system idea, but that doesn't mean it's already been locked down.

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Compost 10/28/2004 05:56 AM CDT
<<Not that I don't want empaths to have it, cause it wouldn't bother me a bit, but if you're hoping for it for mana purposes, Phairdon is right. Its really pretty bad. >>

Doesn't bother me, every little bit helps and I'd rather have a nearly worthless boost than none at all -- particularly when it's in a spell that is already coded and would require minimal GM development energies be spent on it.

Mostly though I figured I'd get one chance to list all the points in support of the change that I could think of before it was a response to a GM and could be seen as argumentative. I'm still hopeful something can be worked out, I think it would be a very nice addition to the empath guild that wouldn't require a year of development and QC.

Passionata
Re: Compost 10/28/2004 08:32 AM CDT
Don't doubt that a bit. And for those who have some 15 odd open spell slots like yourself, its not like it would be a 'waste' of one. At least not yet. Just wanted to point out the benefits are minimal for rangers, especially with the use of our Beseech Wind to Clean.

Jalika
Re: Compost 10/28/2004 10:50 AM CDT
I'm not going to debate the spell one way or another, though I'll admit that one could be interesting. I will, however, save you all a lot of trouble.

This very same subject came up concernging different spells and the answer we got makes this whole thread a moot issue: the system only tracks memorized spells by (speaking roughly here, the mechanics are no doubt different in how they actually work) a spell number off your Guild's list. So let's say Compost is, on the Ranger list, spell #8. You permanently memorize it, the system only checks off that you have spell #8. Since you are an Empath that will be Empath spell #8 (we'll say that's Flush Poison). So although you permanently memorized a Compost scroll, it appears in your spellbook as FP.

If I were the one building the system, I wouldn't have gone that route, but apparantly that's the route they took. We were told it was flat out impossible by design. Apparantly temporarily learned scroll spells use something separate which can track list # and which Guild list it came from, which is why those work. If it were me, I would have done the same to the entire system and not just scrolls; give every spell a unique ID# so it wouldn't be dependant on the character's Guild, but that's me.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's how it is, unfortunately.

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
"Call me Snake."
Re: Compost 10/28/2004 11:17 AM CDT
Not realy for or against this either, although I do agree that less junk laying around = good.

As already pointed out, it wouldn't work anyway because of how spells are accessed by the system. It uses simple 1d lists based on guild. They could redo the spell lists fairly quickly (YMMV) by combining them into a 2d grid (guild along the 'X' and spell along the 'Y'). Then tagging the scrolls with the X/Y coord.

Present system: Scroll tagged as spell #8. Will show up as the 8th spell in your own spell book reguardless of what the scroll reads to the player.

X/Y system: Scroll tagged as Guild X and spell Y (ie. Spell #1-8). Scroll will always reference player read description if memorized reguardless of player guild.

Caveat: This would open all first tier (no pre-req spells) spells to all magic using guilds. Beware the blown off arms :) Like mana guilds could share without danger.

Caveat part deux: I don't wanna slog thru 10k messages 'debating' the fairness/unfairness of this in every folder on the boards ;)

Hymel the fence sitter
Re: Compost 10/28/2004 11:18 AM CDT
Unless they add it into the empath's spell book, which I have no problem at all with them doing.

That said, the mana issues will be brought up with the spell eval...but they changed the spell a while back and made it much more useful that it has been for the years and years before it. Even with Magic 2.0 it was worthless, but when substances get changed or thereabouts, compost got a huge increase in mana produced.

When I'm foraging to train and the room is cluttered (22-27 items), I prep the spell at minimum mana, cast 1 second later, and see blinding mana in whatever room I'm in.

The mana fades quick, but if I wanted to get a quick cast off it would be more than helpful. Currently the room I forage in is base faintly glowing, so 10 mana for a compost and then I can prep a spell at 60 and get it off real fast before the mana runs out.

I can't wait for a duration increase, and as I said before, I don't have any problem at all with empaths getting the spell. More power to you, go for it, good luck getting it.

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia

For me, there is no perfect day.
Re: Compost 10/28/2004 12:26 PM CDT
I also have no problem with Compost being added to the empath spellbook. (I figure someone should get some use from it! :oD ) And maybe they will make it a more useful spell just-a-little-sooner if it is shared by two guilds.

Z.
Re: Compost 10/29/2004 10:37 AM CDT
Man, I should not attempt to post when I just wake up. Re-post to get out typo's.

Reply Delete

I see no reason not to add it to the Empaths spell list. The mana increase is minimal, but as was debated on our boards, spells are being reviewed, and I think this one might get a nice little addition. Might not be a good addition for Empaths, but good for Rangers.

So, how about we hold off the request for Compost, till it is re-done, and then see if it will be helpful or harmful for an empath?

Be well

>Motarra

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Morganae asks, "Will NO one rid me of this pestilential squat and repellent creature?"

Morganae directs a frosty glare at Jourok.

* Jourok has been crystallized!
Empaths and Compost 04/12/2009 01:07 PM CDT
What's the status on Empaths and Compost?

Were there any changes that allowed Empaths to perma-learn it from scrolls? Or plans to add it to the Empath spellbooks?

Less junk from herb foraging is always easier on the game engine, especially if there's no waste bin around.
Re: Empaths and Compost 04/12/2009 01:30 PM CDT
I haven't heard a single thing about giving Empaths Compost.

Rev. Reene

Kryeus: Caelumia for pres!
Kryeus: I'd vote for you.
Re: Empaths and Compost 04/12/2009 01:56 PM CDT
>>What's the status on Empaths and Compost?

Holdin' steady?

>>Were there any changes that allowed Empaths to perma-learn it from scrolls? Or plans to add it to the Empath spellbooks?

Nope.

-Armifer
<Kvlt> Step 1: Want stuff! Step 2: Be ambitious! Step 3: Believe in the ability of your fellow man to carry you to heights you are too incompetent to reach alone.
Re: Empaths and Compost 04/12/2009 04:46 PM CDT
Just temp learn it from a scroll, it takes so little harness to hold it even for my mid level empath.

You have learned Compost from a scroll and must maintain at least a low attunement to keep it.
Attunement: [0%>>>>>>S>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>50%>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>|__100%]

That's with sub 300 in Harness.
Re: Empaths and Compost 04/13/2009 04:15 AM CDT
Ah, there was some talk for the spell to be added long ago, but I guess there weren't any formal GM plans.

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=4&topic=34&message=1756

>Just temp learn it from a scroll, it takes so little harness to hold it even for my mid level empath.

Thanks! I think I'll do this. I guess its not the end of the world if I overuse my attunement.

---
"All models are wrong, some are useful." -George C. Box
Re: Empaths and Compost 04/13/2009 07:04 AM CDT
>Just temp learn it from a scroll, it takes so little harness to hold it even for my mid level empath.

>Thanks! I think I'll do this. I guess its not the end of the world if I overuse my attunement.

Asketine, when a scroll is too much and you dont feel like reading. Rub a rune.
Seriously, they sell one Asketine item in almost every provice.

Anyone who has lost track of time when using a computer knows the propensity to dream, the urge to make dreams come true and the tendency to miss lunch.
~Tim Berners-Lee
Re: Empaths and Compost 04/13/2009 06:37 PM CDT
I have no issue with mana on my empath at all. I wrote a script for healing up which never allows my mana to drop below 40-50%, and if i use compost and raise power first, i can usually fully heal before it even reaches the 50% mana point anyway.
Re: Empaths and Compost 04/13/2009 06:39 PM CDT
>>I have no issue with mana on my empath at all. I wrote a script for healing up which never allows my mana to drop below 40-50%, and if i use compost and raise power first, i can usually fully heal before it even reaches the 50% mana point anyway.

Cool story, bro.
Re: Empaths and Compost 04/13/2009 06:53 PM CDT
>I have no issue with mana on my empath at all. I wrote a script for healing up which never allows my mana to drop below 40-50%, and if i use compost and raise power first, i can usually fully heal before it even reaches the 50% mana point anyway.

If you're going to watch mana levels, you should keep attunement higher.
Re: Empaths and Compost 04/13/2009 08:08 PM CDT
I don't think I ever get below 80% with my empath, but I never thought to use compost to boost the life mana in a room, even though I use compost for getting rid of foraged items. Interesting.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein
Re: Empaths and Compost 04/13/2009 08:22 PM CDT
>If you're going to watch mana levels, you should keep attunement higher.

Ya, I saw that post and was thinking "wait.. my empaths never goes below 90-95%"
Re: Empaths and Compost 04/13/2009 08:31 PM CDT
>prep regen

>harn 20

>cast all

~Arwinia

The Empath spellbook is a riddle trapped in an enigma hidden inside a lot of suck.-Armifer
Re: Empaths and Compost 04/13/2009 08:39 PM CDT
I love regen, though I usually harness 40 to 60. It seems to work quicker with more mana harnessed, but that could be my imagination.

I no longer use the "cast all" feature. I switched to "cast area" because I found myself in a room with Allye a few times. Cast all won't work if Allye is around... heh

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein
Re: Empaths and Compost 04/13/2009 08:43 PM CDT
My empath is not that high level, regen doesn't teach PM/HA/MD. I prefer my healing to teach those things so I use my mana quite a bit.

I know we regen mana faster at higher attunement, but it really doesn't take that long to go from 50% to 100%. Is there another reason not to let attunement drop below 80%? I only have my script keep check so that 1) I don't lose my compost spell, 2) Don't go so low that it takes a long time to get back to full mana.

Keep in mind, my empath has around 250 PM/HA 220 PP/MD.
Prev_page Previous 1