Prev_page Previous 1
Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 12:30 PM CDT
..have found their spells again and are casting. There's still some various issues which we're working on resolving, but you've been warned now that they do cast. :)

Rigby
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 12:35 PM CDT
woohoo, do afanf next please? <begs>
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 12:40 PM CDT
>>woohoo, do afanf next please? <begs>

I wouldn't mind being able to go the next couple weeks without getting mind blasted.

-Frogspawn
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 12:41 PM CDT
>I wouldn't mind being able to go the next couple weeks without getting mind blasted.

But think of the fun with scavengers!
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 01:06 PM CDT

>>But think of the fun with scavengers! <<

And the consternation when a 40th circle barbarian walks in, dances panther, and bounces those MBs back like they were rubber balls. <g>

Mazrian
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 01:10 PM CDT
what happened to player magic first critter magic later?
or is player magic finished?
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 01:15 PM CDT
this applies to both langenfirth and riverhaven swamp trolls, correct?
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 01:25 PM CDT
>>what happened to player magic first critter magic later? or is player magic finished?

The desire to change gears for a second to keep in the groove of coding as opposed to just taking a few days off from dealing with the same code being dealt with for the past few months while not doing anything at all to fill in the new expanse of free time?
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 01:40 PM CDT
Or maybe it is part of a plot to get some actual, non-PvP data on BMR, since any data gotten in Barb vs Swamp Troll magic would qualify under Maelona's old post...
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 01:49 PM CDT
One critical aspect of player magic would be how it interacts with critter magic.

-Gheist
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 01:55 PM CDT
>>>One critical aspect of player magic would be how it interacts with critter
magic.<<<

Exactly. And vice versa.

Rigby
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 02:00 PM CDT
>>>this applies to both langenfirth and riverhaven swamp trolls, correct?<<<

Any and all swamp trolls, no matter location.

Rigby
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 02:04 PM CDT
I'm curious how that's going to work,myself.

Being as Killing stuff helps regain inner fire, but being cast on <by critters too....> brings down inner fire---kind of a negation there?
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 02:25 PM CDT
Gonif,

>>Being as Killing stuff helps regain inner fire, but being cast on <by critters too....> brings down inner fire---kind of a negation there? <<

Only if the critter manages to completly crush the barb's MR will he take a hit. I doubt losing MR to creature spells is going to be a big issue. <g>

Mazrian
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 03:18 PM CDT
<
>>>this applies to both langenfirth and riverhaven swamp trolls, correct?<<<

Any and all swamp trolls, no matter location.

Rigby >

no magic too taboo?

<ducks>
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 04:43 PM CDT
<<Or maybe it is part of a plot to get some actual, non-PvP data on BMR, since any data gotten in Barb vs Swamp Troll magic would qualify under Maelona's old post..

Do swamp trolls have new magic? Their old magic basically consisted of self-cast spells ... nothing that would effect the barbarian or make BMR a factor in the least.
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 04:49 PM CDT
<<Their old magic basically consisted of self-cast spells ... nothing that would effect the barbarian or make BMR a factor in the least. >>

Arc Light.
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 04:52 PM CDT
no, their old magic consisted of ethereal shield--which doesn't affect Barbs because they are self cast--- and Arc light--which Does effect you.
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 04:59 PM CDT
swampies had arc light, and es. if i remember corect.
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 05:01 PM CDT
Didnt they have SuF as well?

Heh.. does anyone else feel like its been years since you've seen a creature cast a spell? <grin>

So busy testing my magic, that a creature actually casting a magic spell made me blink.
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 05:02 PM CDT
Oops. Forgot about arc light. My bad. :)
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 05:17 PM CDT
takes a thief to remind ya what magic critters casts.

Thwppppp!
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 08:42 PM CDT
if you put naphtha on someone and they cast arc light, they burn right?
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 10:14 PM CDT
Umm, that's dragon's breath, not arc light.
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/16/2002 11:49 PM CDT
>Umm, that's dragon's breath, not arc light.

Actually, Arc Light will ignite naphtha, at least on the caster.

Kalyn
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/17/2002 12:04 AM CDT
Perhaps when you see the troll roar out, but nothing happening, is when the troll's spell backfires or fails for some reason? I know when I first went in there, they were grunting left and right, but nothing happened. Then I saw an ES take effect, so he cast an Arc Light at me, which unbalanced me. I didn't loose inner fire from that cast, but other casts I did loose inner fire, once when nothing happened to me (the message I got was "A flash of light...blaa blaa. You feel your inner fire decrease." and another time I got "A flash blaa blaa. Inner fire down blee. You loose balance (whatever that message is)." If I wasn't tired and I didn't have class tomorow morning, I would stay up and test more. Oh yes, when I didn't have bear dance going, I didn't loose inner fire at all, and I was affected by one arc light (out of how many, I don't know). With bear up, I was subjected to three or four arc lights, loosing inner fire on two of them (see above examples) and the other one or two were like before. Ill test more when I wake up tomorow after class.

Drakkenn
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/17/2002 10:22 AM CDT
<<woohoo, do afanf next please? <begs>>>

Originally I was hoping to get Adan'f out along with Swamp Trolls, or after we got Swampies in and made sure we weren't going to blow anything up. It seems, however, that Adan'f are not only odd bumpkins with regards to how they are with you guys -- they're odd bumpkins on the code level too. No worries -- Adan'f will be hopefully getting their magic back soon.

Valdrik
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/17/2002 10:25 AM CDT
Indeed, critters can backfire. Critters are exactly like players with regards to what and how they must cast their spells.

Valdrik
Shear and Swamp Trolls 09/17/2002 10:25 AM CDT
Shear isn't protecting against the Arc Light cast by Swamp Trolls. Dunno if it's supposed to or not, but figured I'd give a heads up.

-Path
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/17/2002 10:26 AM CDT
>Originally I was hoping to get Adan'f out along with Swamp Trolls, or after we got Swampies in and made sure we weren't going to blow anything up. It seems, however, that Adan'f are not only odd bumpkins with regards to how they are with you guys -- they're odd bumpkins on the code level too. No worries -- Adan'f will be hopefully getting their magic back soon.

Good deal, looking forward to it, totally different place without their magic (but I guess most places are).

Thanks,

Xav
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/17/2002 12:24 PM CDT
<<Indeed, critters can backfire. Critters are exactly like players with regards to what and how they must cast their spells.

Are their actual ranks to be on par with what hunters in the area may be expected to have?
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/17/2002 12:38 PM CDT
<<Are their actual ranks to be on par with what hunters in the area may be expected to have?>>

More or less (Magic wise, at least). It really just depends on the critter, and what the critter designer wants.

Valdrik
Re: Swamp Trolls 09/17/2002 02:47 PM CDT
>A swamp troll bellows a word of power.

>A brilliant flash of light issues from a swamp troll's hands.

>Your eyes are already dazed, and so you're unaffected further.

Thank you, whoever fixed THAT particular bug.

Kalyn
Possible Bug with Swamp Trolls and ES 09/17/2002 03:25 PM CDT
I'm not a war mage so I could be wrong, but according to the old description of Ethereal Shield it protects against elemental attacks, and I think now it's supposed to protect against all targeted attacks as well as elemental.

The bug I've found is that it is interfering with my Mental Blast spell. I can't tell if it's actually reducing the power of my MB's or not, but since I'm seeing the troll's ES react I'll assume something is going on.

Here's what I get:

cast

You gesture at a swamp troll.
A swamp troll's ethereal shield crackles with energy!
A swamp troll collapses as if dead.
Roundtime: 3 seconds

This seems to happen no matter how much mana I put in, and I tried on two different trolls, about 10 times each. Each time their shield reacted to my cast. It didn't react to Hynotize, TV, or Dazzle.

Also maybe it's the troll's bad luck, but when I had them twitching severely I let them try to cast spells on themselves and at me. I tried to figure out what spell they were casting, but I wasn't successful every time. Out of about 15 tries at Sure Footing with severe twitching they failed all but once. Out of 7 or so tries with Arc Light the trolls successfully cast 5 times. Since I can't test these spells myself I can only think of three reasons for this.

1. Sure Footing is a much harder spell to cast than Arc Light.

2. The trolls try to put quite a bit more mana into SF. (Kinda related to #1)

3. Something is buggy with trolls casting spells at players, which may be why Shear doesn't stop their Arc Light spell.

-Player of Taristia
Re: Possible Bug with Swamp Trolls and ES 09/17/2002 03:29 PM CDT
<<I'm not a war mage so I could be wrong, but according to the old description of Ethereal Shield it protects against elemental attacks, and I think now it's supposed to protect against all targeted attacks as well as elemental.>>

ES is a Barrier Spell now.

It protects against all magic.
Resisting spells from Swamp Trolls 04/24/2003 05:54 PM CDT
This is either a messaging bug, or my own misconceptions here...

A swamp troll bellows a word of power.
A brilliant flash of light issues from a swamp troll's hands.
Small motes of light flicker for a moment around a swamp troll, then fade.

Okay, so the flash of light is what'd happen if the spell went off, but the small motes of light flickering around him means that I resisted the spell enough to make it collapse, right? I didn't get the 'disoriented' message at least. So if I resisted the spell enough so that the pattern collapsed, how did it generate the flash of light at all?

- Shavay.

See the upcoming Bardic Enchantes at http://members.aol.com/gangrelmgk/enchantes/new_enchantes.htm
Re: Resisting spells from Swamp Trolls 04/25/2003 03:02 AM CDT
>>Okay, so the flash of light is what'd happen if the spell went off, but the small motes of light flickering around him means that I resisted the spell enough to make it collapse, right?

You didnt resist anything. I dont believe BMR affects self-casted spells

The Dark Pirate
Re: Resisting spells from Swamp Trolls 04/25/2003 03:21 AM CDT
<blinks> BARONJ1... hate to say it but you don't know what your talking about. That is buggy. BMR doesn't effect self cast spells at all... but there is no self cast spell being cast. The troll is casting arc light on him, and his MR is stopping it. May not even be BMR, I know my MR stops arc light from them sometimes (I think it's only when I'm in low mana areas so they can't use more then min prep... haven't tested extensivly though and usually they die before I allow them to cast at me - but I'm a MM). I don't remember ever seeing a double message like that (A flash and the MR message), so perhaps it's a new bug. Does it happen like that every time you resist it?

-Mozzik
Re: Resisting spells from Swamp Trolls 04/25/2003 03:50 AM CDT
not sure what this is but i was at Swampies recently and had this happen - flash and motes...thought it was new messaging or something, but i also wasnt disoriented by it....didnt think anything of it at the time, so perhaps a bug?
Re: Resisting spells from Swamp Trolls 04/25/2003 09:44 AM CDT
If you're in the Haven swamps, there is no low mana area. The entire area is pulsating with elemental mana, so that's not it. I don't know if it's a messaging bug or not, but it might be explained as a very spectacular failure. Arc light is an area of effect spell now that effects everything around the caster. It might be that the spell starts to go off, runs into the resistor, and blows up on impact. It's a bit different than other types of spell, though...some of the creation is on the caster, so it might be that our resistance can't hurt that part.

____"It doesn't matter where we come from, what we've done or suffered, or even if we make a difference. We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be."
Prev_page Previous 1