Fails from the Crypt 09/22/2011 07:54 PM CDT
While I can regularly beat FftC, I haven't been able to get 3 stars (or even close to it!). Any tips or suggestions are welcome, as are videos :)
Re: Fails from the Crypt 09/22/2011 08:04 PM CDT
I can't even get 1 star yet. Any tips on the way you get 2 stars on it?
Re: Fails from the Crypt 09/23/2011 01:31 AM CDT
Creatures like Skeletons cannot pass through big blocking defenses such as the Living Wall and Barricade. The idea here is to create an artificial barrier that keeps all of your skeletons out of the Epic Rangers' Piercing Shot line of sight. Use the alcoves in the back of your dungeon to wall your skeletons in, and over the course of the level, be placing skeletons liberally in all four corners (the top and bottom corridors at the front lines, and the top and bottom corridors in the back, walled in your makeshift prisons).

When the Epic Rangers show up, they'll likely blow through your front lines. When they get to your Living Wall fortress, try to lure them into being in melee range so that when the walls explode, they stun the Rangers while simultaneously releasing your mini Skeleton armies. This isn't necessary to 3 star, but it certainly helps. Either way, make good use of the Living Wall's stun mechanic to get free pot shots on the Epic Rangers, otherwise their speed and damage will make quick work of your remaining skeletons.

I recommend taking spring traps with you, but use them VERY judiciously, or you risk running out of Mana at the end when you will likely need a few clutch Skeletons/Living Walls to finish the job.

Hope that helps, good luck!

-- Tiny Heroes Designer
Re: Fails from the Crypt 02/09/2012 04:48 AM CST

I FINALLY finished this level with 3 stars!

Took me a while!

What I did was place a Barricade at the TOP of the top Corridor right at the beginning of the level and a Living wall at the BOTTOM of the bottom corridor right at the beginning of the level.
This way the Heroes walk up and attack the walls. While they do that the skeletons can have a free shot!
I then kept dropping tar to slow them down and adding extra skeletons where needed.

I also added more walls behind the originals so that when the Epic Ranger comes, he too takes a while while attacking the wall.

I also placed one extra living wall at the first choke point in the bottom corridor which then stunned the few heroes who got through the first defense on the bottom and the trapped skeletons behind the wall then made short work of them!

It was certainly driving me nuts - I'd tried for weeks now! It was my last 3 star level!

Hopefully this will work for you too!
Re: Fails from the Crypt 02/26/2012 09:04 PM CST
This level should really have a walkthrough!

This is the only level I cannot 3-star (outside of The Gauntlet). Success on this level seems so arbitrary. I can use the exact same strategy a dozen times and get a completely different result each time. There is a massive number of hero waves and your only damage-dealing option is skeletons, which are among the weakest in the game. Sometimes the heroes just blow right through them... and sometimes they are somehow effective, although I cannot guess why and there seems to be no strategy you can apply to use the skeletons effectively.
Re: Fails from the Crypt 02/26/2012 09:21 PM CST
This way works for me every time. Place either a barricade or a living wall at the top of each entrance, as far to the left as possible. Place a spring trap right below each barricade/living wall. Spam skeletons right on top of the spring trap, alternating top and bottom. The heroes almost never get more than 2 tiles in. It works without the spring traps, but those do tend to distract the thieves so that the skeletons can take them out more easily.
Re: Fails from the Crypt 02/26/2012 09:37 PM CST
Geeze Louise... finally 3-starred this. It took many tries after trying to read SIMU-NATHANL's post a lot of different ways. It was hard to understand what he was saying... I guess it was hard to visualize his description for this level.

If not a walkthrough, a screenshot or two would have really helped understand what he was saying!
Re: Fails from the Crypt 02/27/2012 04:29 PM CST
Just played this level again today. I 3 starred it on my first try with 0 mana remaining and about 15 skeletons left alive. Hope this helps!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/DigipenDreamer/photo3-1.png

-- Tiny Heroes Designer
Re: Fails from the Crypt 03/01/2012 03:24 PM CST

DUDE - you rock - thanks for the photo...the explanation from the designer made it sound like you are trying to trap the skeletons in the single space area at the top, when really you're trying to create a line of barricades that the archers will shoot through and release all the skeletons...with this pic I 3-starred it in 2 tries. NOTE: as you add skeletons to the "main" area drop them right at the entrance, otherwise they will not attack in groups which is how they are most powerful. Good luck. Now just need help with the "I believe impossible" Long and Short of It on Gauntlet. Yikes.
Re: Fails from the Crypt 03/01/2012 03:26 PM CST
While we're on the topic - got a good way to do "Goner among epic thieves?" I can only 1 star this at best.
Re: Fails from the Crypt 03/01/2012 03:44 PM CST
The most important thing to discern from my picture is that the skeletons are in a single cell wide row, with a wall to the left of them. That ensures that no matter when or where the Epic Ranger fires his piercing shot, it will never reach them, as the arrow is stopped by walls. :)

It's less about releasing them all at once and more about protecting them from being one-shot by a single arrow, though unleashing them in a unified manner certainly helps.

-- Tiny Heroes Designer
Re: Fails from the Crypt 03/17/2012 01:35 PM CDT
Video walkthrough, showing the technique I use (only place defenses at the very front): http://youtu.be/clYaian7rY0