Alcoves of Wonder - most difficult map - hint? 10/13/2011 07:22 AM CDT
Hi,
I allready have 3 stars on every map of "Dungeon" "Sorcerer", "Carl 1 & 2" and also on any "Gauntlet map" exept ALCOVES OF WONDER. i never needed more than max 10 tries for this.
In other maps i at least knew after the second try how to beat it and it was only a question of skill and timing but in Alcoves, which i allready tried 12 times, i still have NO idea how to handle this one (to get 3 stars).

Here i got 1 star only because of the spring trap tactic which means i kind of cheated.

I know we wont get a walkthrough which is good - but maybe a little hint?

i love your game - but please!! give us more campaigns - never mind what they cost. i am addicted.
Re: Alcoves of Wonder - most difficult map - hint? 10/14/2011 12:20 AM CDT

Is alcoves of wonder hard, im on dynamite fishing?
Re: Alcoves of Wonder - most difficult map - hint? 10/14/2011 01:00 AM CDT

yes it definetely is!

But yesterday in the evening before going to bed i made my 13. try and finally made it -->
i gladly have 3 stars now on every campaign :) Ready for next adventures.
Re: Alcoves of Wonder - most difficult map - hint? 10/15/2011 12:46 PM CDT

do you mind sharing some tips? this level is driving me mad!!! GRRRRRRR
Re: Alcoves of Wonder - most difficult map - hint? 10/17/2011 05:19 PM CDT
Was about to make a post on this myself.
I have OCD to where I refuse to move on until I * a level.
You have tried more than ten times? I'm fairly certain that I've made at least 50+ attempts using many different strategies and "Builds" (Sets of defenses), but always seem to get overwhelmed by wave 10 or 11. =\
Would really appreciate some help/hints here.

www.just1randomguy.com
Re: Alcoves of Wonder - most difficult map - hint? 10/18/2011 03:54 AM CDT

i hope you can understand "my english":

yes i "only" needed 13 tries - but only because i have experience of hundrets of LOTS OF hours playing other tower defense games :)

I used: lighting tower, baliste, jelly, lava lobber, gork, bomb, rat

tactic: i built up two full lines (two long lines in the middle) of defense.I placed lightning towers at the end - because they have a higher range - and balistes in the middle around the entrance to this line (next to the mana - sea) - they do damage and are kind of shield for the lightning towers.

in the line after these defenses i placed lava lobbers (about 4 or 5 at the end of the game) - which do a great job - doing damage and stunning foes for my towers. Never let heroes get to your lava lobbers!!

In the line before my two defensive lines i kept placing gorks and balistas - if i dont need them - to refill one of the two definsive lines. these gorks are good to be the aim for wizard fireballs - after that they can't kill the 2 defensive lines so easily.

I allways threw bombs on the foes - especially on critical places to stun them for my towers.
I only used the jelly if i really needed it - for example if 4 epic heroes are on one square. it is very important to have one for use if REALLY needed.

The rat or is good to suck the fireballs out of the epic wizards.
At my opinion it is one of the most important things to make the wizards use their FB on non valuable stuff (like rats) before reaching your main defense rows.

I hope this helps. this strategy is pretty good (at least i don't know a better one :) ) i think but this map is still hard to finish with 3 stars.

Good luck and have fun :)
Re: Alcoves of Wonder - most difficult map - hint? 11/02/2011 11:49 PM CDT

I'm pretty sure this level can't be done. Aaaaaaaaa.
Re: Alcoves of Wonder - most difficult map - hint? 11/03/2011 04:31 AM CDT
Re: Alcoves of Wonder - most difficult map - hint? 11/03/2011 03:33 PM CDT
Tried this strategy, but I can't get the second line of defense up in time. You actually only mention seven defenses....what's your 8th one? I was using slime, but I'm starting to think that may not be it.

I was trying a strategy of barricade, living wall, slime, jelly, catapult, bomb, tar, and fire. It can get me all the way to the last wave, but even with luck falling exactly as I need it, I still fall at the end.
Re: Alcoves of Wonder - most difficult map - hint? 11/17/2011 11:18 AM CST

I used a column with a dragon on the top, and spikes covered in slime; 2nd column with lightning towers and 3rd column with catapults and lava. Used bombs to slow heroes and rats to eat the epic fireballs and arrows. Rats are tougher than skeletons. Mix that with luck and you have it ;)
Re: Alcoves of Wonder - most difficult map - hint? 11/27/2011 08:01 PM CST
This level broke me. I am done and out. I've tried every single possible combination of defenses and cannot get CLOSE to even single starring it. The combination of epic heroes (all except Ranger and who knows, maybe he shows up in one of the many, many waves I haven't even seen yet). I've tried the strategies here. No dice. Not even close. I had more luck using living walls to make them break through (and then stun the heroes when they do get through). Still can live past having 9 waves left. Never got more than 3 lava lobbers out at a single time and typically only get two on the table. I save the jelly to take out four or five epics at a time. The next epic just kills it before it can digest the ones it already has.

I cannot see any way to even more forward.
Re: Alcoves of Wonder - most difficult map - hint? 01/31/2012 08:29 PM CST

Need a better and more understandable strategy. I've tried every combination of defended, including those mentioned here, at least 10 times each and I've got nowhere near the end. Can't even get under 12 waves left before I'm a goner.

Anybody got a good plan for this level?
Re: Alcoves of Wonder - most difficult map - hint? 01/31/2012 11:54 PM CST
I have finished this level with 3 stars on my second go, no bull! Overall I found this level really easy. Hopefully it would be the same as well for you guys if you can follow this or follow the basis of my strategy. GOOD LUCK!!!

Heres my selection:

Lava lobber, lightning tower, living wall, slime, catapult, rock drop, bomb, and jelly!

What you want to do is dishout the most DPS without losing out on much.

Because this level has walls so close together, its hinted to use the catapult.

What to do:

NOTE: PLACEMENT ORDER IS VERY IMPORTANT AS IT MAKE OR BREAK THIS LEVEL FOR YOU, IF YOU FOLLOW THIS
STRATEGY YOU WILL FIND THAT I FOLLOWED THIS PLACEMENT ORDER OF HIGHEST OR HIGHER COOLDOWN
DEFENSES BEING PLACED DOWN FIRST!!!

1) Place lava lobber first at bottom in the SECOND COLUMN in this level.

2) Place catapult above the lava cobber, the catapult should be facing the entrance.

3) Slime it up! Place a slime and let it coat most of the FIRST COLUMN.

4) Place lightning tower at the very top of the FIRST COLUMN.

5) Place living wall under the lightning tower.

6) Place second lightning tower opposite the first mana pit, in the SECOND COLUMN

This is the basis of dishing out the most DPS on this level

7) Once waves start place bombs and slime; keep on replacing lightning towers and living walls.
Place your third lightning tower if the other 2 isn't destroyed at the bottom of the FIRST
COLUMN.

8) Place your next catapult behind the first catapult in the THIRD COLUMN.

9) Place additional living walls behind or in front of your mana pits. Also place additional
lightning towers at the very top of each column.

10) Your THIRD LAVA LOBBER should be at the top of the THIRD COLUMN

11) Place additional catapults behind walls in each column.

HERES MY HANDY TIPS!!!

1) LIGHTNING TOWERS CAN ATTACK DIAGONALLY WHICH MEANS PLACING THEM BEHIND MANA PITS GIVES YOU
ADDITONAL HITS THUS INCREASING YOUR DPS TO THE CREEPS!!!

2) CONSERVE YOUR ROCK DROP AND JELLY SO WHEN TILL YOU REALLY GET OVER RUN AND MAKE SURE YOU USE IT
WHEN THEY'RE ALL STUNNED EITHER BY YOUR LAVA LOBBER OR BY THE LIVING WALL AND DROP SLIME ON TOP
OF THEM AS WELL ONCE THIS HAPPENS!!!

3) USING JELLY HELPS TO KEEP THEM STUNNED THAT LITTLE BIT LONGER!!!

4) TRY AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SLIME, ROCK DROP AND JELLY AND BOMB ALL COOLDOWNED OR AT LEAST ROCK
DROP AND JELLY AT THE START OF THE LAST WAVE!!!

5) TRY AND PICK OF EPIC ARCHERS AND/OR EPIC WIZARDS ASAP BY DROPPING BOMBS AND SLIME ON THEM!!!

By the end you should have at least 5 catapults and 3-4 lava lobbers and a couple of living walls and lightning towers
Re: Alcoves of Wonder - most difficult map - hint? 02/01/2012 12:35 AM CST

OMG thank you!!! Three-starred it on the first try!!

I had been fiddling around with catapults lined up like that - and lightnings at the ends of the alcoves - seemed like the level was designed for catapults hitting every doorway and lightning towers in the ends of the alcoves. But had not thought of being brave enough to pile a bunch of precious lava lobbers so close to the entrance. That totally did the trick.

Thanks!
Re: Alcoves of Wonder - most difficult map - hint? 02/01/2012 02:11 PM CST
"seemed like the level was designed for catapults hitting every doorway and lightning towers in the ends of the alcoves"

Ayup, a sort of mix of this and the lava lobbers was what I intended when I made this level. And it seems to be the most effective way to go.
Re: Alcoves of Wonder - most difficult map - hint? 02/02/2012 09:53 AM CST

Hey, thanks for the fun level! (The moment I realized the doors were all offset one square from each other, I was like "ooooo... catapults!" )

BTW I almost made a go of it with baby dragons in the alcoves, blowing heroes onto floor spikes, but it didn't quite work out... (but I did discover that a baby dragon can blow a hero straight into the inside of a jelly cube.)
Re: Alcoves of Wonder - most difficult map - hint? 02/02/2012 01:03 PM CST
"I did discover that a baby dragon can blow a hero straight into the inside of a jelly cube."

Hehehehe, ayup. That works. :D
Re: Alcoves of Wonder - most difficult map - hint? 02/20/2012 12:34 AM CST

Thank you, I-N-V-U-U-N-V-I
Your solution is worked.
Re: Alcoves of Wonder - most difficult map - hint? 03/03/2012 04:15 AM CST
I still found this map difficult even with I-N-V-U-U-N-V-I's proposed strategy, but after some small changes I got 3-stars easily. The main idea is to start your defenses near the right. By the time the heroes get to you, the slime path will have worn them down. I also added barricade and tar, which buys you a lot of extra time.

Choose:
Lava lobber, lightning tower, living wall, BARRICADE, slime, catapult, TAR and bomb (skip rock drop and jelly).

1. Start placing your lava lobbers in the second column FROM THE RIGHT (the last column may also work).
2. Place slime in the first column.
3. Place lightning towers, living walls and catapults according to INVUUNVI's description, but in the columns just to the left of the lava column.
4. When living walls go down, replace them with new living walls or barricades ASAP.
5. Use slime, tar and bomb as much as you can. No need to conserve anything.
6. As soon as this kind of defense holds, build a new line of defense in the column to the left.

That's all!