Gauntlet "Long and Short" 10/03/2011 07:43 AM CDT
If the other unlockable defenses weren't also missing, I'd suspect this to be an advertisement for the in-game purchased defenses.

The only workable one-star strategy I found was to give up on protection and use wallblades and a spring to save one treasure.

Is there a theory behind this level?
Re: Gauntlet "Long and Short" 10/07/2011 12:42 AM CDT
Trying to 3-star this level is also driving me crazy. Here are some strategies I've tried along with reasons they seem to be ineffective.

1. Allow the treasures to be stolen and use string traps to repeatedly fling the heroes back into the treasure room (as in "Boing Chomp"). You cannot preemptively place the spring traps due to the proliferation of epic thieves. You cannot place spring traps on demand because there are 8 treasures and the thieving heroes get a chance to escape while the cooldown expires. Not to mention the flood of heroes makes it difficult to not fling one that's empty-handed. It is fairly simple to get a 1-star win with this approach.

2. Try to kill all the heroes before they reach the treasure room by maximizing damage output. To this end, I've tried different combinations of Ballista, Catapult, Lava Lobber, Lightning Tower, Slime, Bomb, Floor Spikes, Wall Blades, and Gorks. Every time I've tried this approach, the 14 waves of epic heroes always seem to power through to the treasure room with at least 5-6 waves remaining, at which point I am toast. The snaking single-tile path seems to preclude creating a good kill zone as does the short setup time before the waves start. Also, the catapults and lava lobbers don't seem to have a fast enough fire rate to hold back the epic heroes.

3. Use rock drop, fire blast, lightning blast, ignited stick tar, bombs to add punch to strategy #2. With only 5 slots, each of these defenses takes away a more steady damage dealers. In my experience, the long cooldowns of these defenses leads to worse results than projectile/trap defenses alone.

4. Use barricade or living wall to slow down heroes and protect your defenses. Each wall uses a precious slot that could be used for a damage dealing defense. All the waves of epic heroes gradually power through the handful of walls you're able to construct. Not to mention the epic wizards are hell on the walls and the defenses behind them.

5. Use as many floor spikes, spring traps, and wall blades as possible since only the epic thieves can disable them. The problem is that there are still too many epic thieves that make quick work of disabling any trap that's not defended. You can permanently defend three floor traps between wall blades in the "long of it", but wall blades deal less damage than floor spikes. Slime would be a good trap defense, but once the waves start rolling, the slimes no longer get a chance to cover a long string of traps. Ballista and lighning towers are quickly destroyed by the other heroes allowing those dastardly thieves to do their work.

6. The strategy that seems the most promising is using baby dragons to push the heroes back in the first long hallway they enter. Then I've lined the hall with different combinations of floor spikes and wall blades. Adding slime to the mix generally seems helpful, but as the waves get going it's still quite difficult for the slime to get the chance to line the entire hall. I've also added different combinations of catapults, lightning towers, and lava lobbers (or magma maulers) for supporting damage. If the assault solely consisted of knights, clerics, and thieves, I think they would never be able to make the first turn. Unfortunately, the wizards and rangers quickly wipe out the baby dragons and flood comes rushing through. Seemingly using skeletons and pack rats to draw the fire of wizards/rangers would be a good approach, but I've never made this work. Wizards and rangers come in separated pairs, so the tendency is to draw fire of one, but the other gets at least once shot at the critical baby dragons. The hallway is not that long, so the margin for error is small. You can group the rangers by placing a false wall at the entrance at the beginning of each wave and then draw their fire with a single skeleton. I still uncertain whether the false wall cooldown and timing of the waves makes this defense available each time it is needed.

I am hoping that someone out their can tweak all my failures into a successful approach to 3-star this frustrating level. Thanks!
Re: Gauntlet "Long and Short" 10/07/2011 11:45 AM CDT
I tried everything... this is the only level I dont have 3 stars... the way i see it, it is impossible... you will need new weapons to kill this combination of heroes... maybe some1 can help us!!!
Re: Gauntlet "Long and Short" 10/11/2011 09:07 AM CDT

Ugh, this one's kicking my ass. Would happily accept advice here!
Re: Gauntlet "Long and Short" 10/11/2011 10:07 PM CDT
I finally managed to 3 Star this level.

My defenses:

Baby Dragon
Slime
Lava Lobber
Lightning Tower
Floor Spikes

The main Purpose of the defense is to keep the enemies in the first long and at worst the first turn. Using my method, they never breached the second long. I first threw down a baby dragon in the upper corner of the first turn. I then put a lava Lobber on the 2nd lava spot upgrading it to a magma Mauler. The entire first long needs to be floor spikes. Drop a slime at the beginning, this will typically keep Epic Thieves off of them. On the first lava spot, put another baby dragon to make a Red Dragon. This will damage and momentarily stun the enemy. The rest of the spaces in the first turn and 2nd long should be Lightning Towers. Continue putting lava Lobbers around the first you made. Use slimes when possible, but save if you see an Epic Wizard. Slimes make great distractions. If a thief takes out one of your floor spikes, replace it immediately with either floor spike, lightning tower, baby dragon, in that order. Not only will these other defenses do some more damage, they can also eat the fireballs. Just keep up a continuous stream of slimes, save baby dragons and lightning towers as replacements and you got it.
Re: Gauntlet "Long and Short" 10/12/2011 12:46 AM CDT
Thanks!

I was able to pull out three stars here with your strategy.
I found the epic thieves still did a number on the spikes (the slime didn't deter them), and the last round I had some escapees who managed to get through (maybe I didn't have enough lightning towers)
Re: Gauntlet "Long and Short" 10/14/2011 05:29 PM CDT
Finally 3-starred the level using the strategy described by Tixxy, however it probably still took me 20 attempts. I want to reiterate how important it is to keep the baby dragon in the corner alive. Use the slime, lightning tower, or even another baby dragon to eat the wizards' fireballs and to a lesser extent the rangers' super shots.

Even doing all you can, you're probably still going to lose that corner baby dragon several times. When this happens, don't bother rebuilding it until the area is clear as it only takes 1-2 hits from these epics to destroy the dragon egg. Hopefully the lightning towers and lava lobbers can take down any epics that bust through. Once the threat is neutralized, replace that corner baby dragon as soon as you can.

When I finally 3-starred the level, the last wave actually broke through. Fortunately, the 4 lava lobbers delayed and softened up the horde. A couple epic knights made it to the 'short of it', but I was able to mop up with lightning towers, slime, and floor spikes. It's such a relief to finally 3-star this level that I wonder whether I'll ever want to attempt it again. Now onto my next nemesis, Alcoves of Wonder!
Re: Gauntlet "Long and Short" 10/26/2011 01:45 AM CDT
I got 3 stars on the first try with the Tixxy strategy (thanks Tixxy!)

It wasn't that hard either, nothing broke through the defenses on the first turn. Keep adding lava lobbers around the second corner as often as resets allow you. Put 3 lightning globes around the first corner to back up your dragons. Every now and then I added a lightning globe near the entrance if an Epic Thief was disarming my floor spikes.

Other than that just keep adding floor spikes and dragons as often as you can. And spread as much slime as possible.
Re: Gauntlet "Long and Short" 11/10/2011 01:32 AM CST
Can someone elaborate the strategy how to tackle this mission? The baby dragon in the corner simply can't survive those Epic archer shots. And the epic thieves take out the spikes way too fast than I can recover. The volcanoes and the shock towers are not powerful enough to hold off all those Epic heroes. I think a YouTube video can really help here.

Let's alone three-star, I can't even get one star. :( This(0-star), plus Katy Bar the Door (1-star), are the only two levels I haven't achieved 3 stars. Thanks.
Re: Gauntlet "Long and Short" 11/12/2011 08:56 PM CST
Following the strategy above, everything still falls apart in wave seven. I can lay my third lava lobbed just as a wave of epics is breaking through the first turn. What am I doing differently than those who have been successful?
Re: Gauntlet "Long and Short" 11/13/2011 09:29 PM CST
Some hints from how I play this level.

1. The order of my starting build is (1) baby dragon in corner, (2) lava lobber on lava crack in 2nd bend, (3) lightning tower below baby dragon, (4) floor trap in middle of 1st corridor, (5) floor trap next to the first, (6) lightning tower next to the first, (7) slime at dungeon entrance, (8) baby dragon on lava crack in 1st bend pointing up. You should place the slime 2-3 seconds before the first wave so it will coat the whole corridor.

2. You can let the first set of rangers destroy the corner baby dragon because the defenses you should have build up by this point will easily handle the rangers and clerics in this wave. Once the dust clears place your 3rd baby dragon to replace the 1st before the next wave arrives.

3. It's usually best to not place a floor trap on the tile at the entrance. That way you can place a lightning tower in that space when needed. This lightning trap is useful for preventing thieves from disarming your traps and as a sacrificial target for rangers and wizards.

4. If you have a floor trap available and a thief is disarming another trap, place the floor trap under the thief and with any luck the thief will take damage from both traps.

5. When possible entice the rangers to shoot their super shot away from the corner dragon. This means that you have to let the ranger(s) enter the corridor and then drop a target behind them. I prefer a lightning tower at the entrance to save the slime as a target for the wizards. Since the rangers seem to come in pairs and the baby dragon can survive one super shot, be sure to draw fire from at least one ranger.

6. The best way to draw fire from the wizards is to drop the slime in the middle of the first corridor such that both wizards use their fireball on it. Dropping the slime here will result in 3 tiles being covered in slime. This slime adds to the damage the heroes take and also offer some protection to your floor traps from the thieves.

7. When (re)placing floor traps, build closer to the corner baby dragon first, because its sonic blast also slows the thieves' attempts to disarm your traps.

8. When the whole first corridor is covered in floor traps, and the whole second corridor is covered in lightning traps, place extras in the "short of it" to clean up any heroes that break through on the last wave.
Re: Gauntlet "Long and Short" 11/22/2011 08:40 AM CST
Thanks. Finally got to 2 stars...I'm sure a few more attempts will get me to 3.
Re: Gauntlet "Long and Short" 03/02/2012 01:04 PM CST

RRRRGGG...This method helps me get 2 stars, but I can't get anywhere close to 3...wave 5,6 on the countdown blows away my first level defense and haven't had enough time to get a full second row of LT because I'm constantly replacing them. Very frustrating level.
Re: Gauntlet "Long and Short" 03/06/2012 09:44 PM CST

Dude I think the point of the name "long and short of it " was to use the entire map

I think there's an easier way that utilizes the short of it
Re: Gauntlet "Long and Short" 03/14/2012 05:02 AM CDT

I am not given the option of having a baby dragon!
Re: Gauntlet "Long and Short" 03/14/2012 05:31 AM CDT
Baby dragon is unlocked in one of the later levels of Sorcerer's Keep. Have you finished SK yet?
Re: Gauntlet "Long and Short" 03/20/2012 03:24 PM CDT
Finally managed 3 stars with this level. I used floor spikes, wall blades, lava lobbers, slime and lookers. I placed lobbers at the back at the entrance to the treasure room. Then I built in defenses starting from the front, alternating floor spikes and wall blades (so the wall blades protect the floor spikes from thieves). Then I loaded up every available space with floor spikes, except for adding lobbers at the very back. Using floor slime and lookers, I focused on keeping thieves from destroying the floor spikes or as a last minute stop on any heroes.
Re: Gauntlet "Long and Short" 04/03/2012 05:20 PM CDT

I did this differently, and it sounds like it's more consistent. Took forever to figure out.

I use catapults, lava lobbers, lightning, floor spikes, and acid.

I started at the back. The curves where the ranger was useless. Line up 3 catapults top and bottom and work forward. lava lobbers in the hall between. Acid in front and lightning to block and be annoying. floor spikes everywhere...

I got lazy towards the end and still 3 starred it.
Re: Gauntlet "Long and Short" 04/03/2012 05:20 PM CDT

I did this differently, and it sounds like it's more consistent. Took forever to figure out.

I use catapults, lava lobbers, lightning, floor spikes, and acid.

I started at the back. The curves where the ranger was useless. Line up 3 catapults top and bottom and work forward. lava lobbers in the hall between. Acid in front and lightning to block and be annoying. floor spikes everywhere...

I got lazy towards the end and still 3 starred it.