lack of people playing 09/16/2012 01:11 AM CDT
I'm one of them unfortunately. Over all of the years I've played this game, my first PC was this past Feb 2012. First three PCs I participated in were enjoyable and well worth the time to do it. That all changed in May and then again in June when a couple folks showed up and were scripting...and of course obviously were winning everytime.

The last PC I attended, I stayed for three rounds and became so disgusted with the scriptors that I left, never to return again. Fun Suckers. Same thing was happening in Droughtmans. Don't have an answer other than it would be unique this day and age if "integrity" really meant something.

*On a positive note however, looks to be some well thought out and meaningful ideas here.
Re: lack of people playing 09/29/2012 11:49 AM CDT
Some players have become extremely adept by using StormFront, its macros and its special Pennant Chase features and by learning the quirks of each arena. Other players are awesome typers. Some of the best Pennant Chase players use typing instead of clicking.

So, top Pennant Chase players may appear to be scripting, especially to players new to PC.

And top players have been known to hold back for a while if they know there's a newbie player, to let them get familiar with the game.
Re: lack of people playing 09/30/2012 12:18 AM CDT

>>So, top Pennant Chase players may appear to be scripting, especially to players new to PC.<<

Make macros to wave your baton at people you know will be in the round.

Put them close together on your keyboard so you can mash them.

Learn the different playing areas, where the Pennants drop, and around when (there is a pattern).

Learn the little quirks of each playing area so you can exploit them to ambush others and keep safe.

Use a numeric keypad and be very fast.

Learn the colors of the Pennants so when you see them you can use the right macros to snag them pretty fast.

Order a triple espresso and drink it about an hour before PC starts.

I have never used a script and I am pretty good at winning.

(I do think a couple of rule changes would helpfully cut down on the button mashyness of PC.)

-E
Re: lack of people playing 09/30/2012 08:32 AM CDT
>Order a triple espresso and drink it about an hour before PC starts.

Only one?

- Anonymous
Re: lack of people playing 09/30/2012 11:01 AM CDT
I do think a couple of rule changes would helpfully cut down on the button mashyness of PC.

-E

Would you mind sharing your ideas/suggestions? I would be interested in hearing them.

-- Robert
Re: lack of people playing 10/01/2012 01:04 AM CDT

>>Would you mind sharing your ideas/suggestions? I would be interested in hearing them.<<

I once posted a lot of rule changes that would help, but PC is old code and I am sure Modrian doesn't want to mess around under the hood too much.

My simplest rule change would be this:

One second HARD RT for every baton wave. Whether you hit your target or not.

It doesn't need to stack. But, if you know you will be stuck in place for one full second EVERY time you wave your baton, you will wave it carefully. And you will miss. And you will have to take the chance to seize on someone else missing to get a wave of your own in. But do you dare open yourself to getting colored by others?

If I were going to tweak this proposed rule just a bit, I might make there be zero RT for successfully coloring a target.

We have a version of this right now, when you miss coloring someone and get random RT. But a version where every wave of the baton incurred RT would, in my eye, pretty much eliminate the Run-n-Mash version of the game. And as I don't write scripts, I can't speak authoritatively on that side, but I am sure it would tilt the field toward players who play live and think about the best move.

A gentler version of this rule would be soft RT on every baton wave.

That would be my proposal to make PC a more sophisticated, less button-mashy game.

-E
Re: lack of people playing 10/01/2012 01:09 AM CDT
I would think, that if you're running even a halfway sophisticated script, you'd only have to wave once, as opposed to the button mashers who set up 3-4 macros and pound them.

Kerl