Issue with Ethereal OSA pirates 05/01/2022 05:44 PM CDT
It appears that the OSA undead (Ethereals) didn't get the memo about not being immune to normal attacks any more. At least where my mechanical crossbow is concerned.

The bolts and the crossbow are not blessed but I am expecting to still be able to damage them with my crossbow bolts based on the somewhat recent changes to how undead are supposed to work.

>You are now in an offensive stance.
>You aim down the rose gold crystal sights and squeeze the trigger of your ruic heavy crossbow, the brushed brass gears snapping into action!
You load your ruic heavy crossbow with a dark butternut wooden bolt.
You fire the dark butternut bolt at the pillager, but it has no effect!
The bolt streaks off into the distance!
Roundtime: 2 sec.

I did some additional testing against other undead to make sure it wasn't something with the mechanical crossbow vs. the OSA ethereals:

You aim down the rose gold crystal sights and squeeze the trigger of your ruic heavy crossbow, the brushed brass gears snapping into action!
You load your ruic heavy crossbow with a dark butternut wooden bolt.
You take aim and fire a wooden dark butternut bolt at a ghoul master!
The bolt strikes true, but the ghoul master shrugs off some of the damage!
AS: +269 vs DS: +40 with AvD: +42 + d100 roll: +61 = +332
... and hit for 75 points of damage!
Slash strikes the ghoul master's left eye.
Seems there was a brain there after all.
The ghoul master falls to the ground motionless.
The bolt sticks in a ghoul master's left eye!
Roundtime: 2 sec.

Finally, I will note that my hunting partner was able to hit them with an unblessed weapon.

>Captain leaps from hiding to attack!
All of a sudden, an unworldly pillager rises quickly to her feet.
Captain swings a white and red drakar short sword at an unworldly pillager!
The sword strikes true, but the unworldly pillager shrugs off some of the damage!
AS: +327 vs DS: +135 with AvD: +30 + d100 roll: +32 = +254
... and hits for 49 points of damage!
Hard blow strikes deep into the left eye socket.
Within moments the eyeball pops back out!
Captain swings a bronze-hilted kelyn main gauche at an unworldly pillager!
The gauche strikes true, but the unworldly pillager shrugs off some of the damage!
AS: +326 vs DS: +135 with AvD: +20 + d100 roll: +12 = +223
... and hits for 46 points of damage!
Hard blast to the side of the left eye.
Strike carries right on through the bridge of the nose,
the other eye, and the rest of the head!

Anyone know if blessing my bolts / crossbow will fix this issue as a temporary workaround? It was very dicey with our first encounter (given I had to become a spell ranger with limited mana) - kudos to my hunting partner for carrying the day on that encounter!

The other thought is maybe the ethereals are immune to puncture damage (I thought that wasn't a thing anymore either though) but pretty sure the attack examples from my hunting partner are puncture attacks as well.

Also, as a follow up note, I am still unable to LOAD my mechanical crossbow in the boat location with the cannons as previously posted.

Thanks!

P.S. I also submitted a bugitem against the mechanical crossbow for being unable to effect OSA Ethereal undead.

-- Robert

The Pirate Captain flops around on the ground looking rather helpless.
Re: Issue with Ethereal OSA pirates 05/02/2022 06:53 AM CDT
I suspect that messaging is for a lack of enchant rather than a lack of holiness and the problem lies in how you've made your bolts.
Re: Issue with Ethereal OSA pirates 05/02/2022 08:04 AM CDT
Hrmmm... they were converted over as part of the archery update and I do recall there was some wonkiness in the conversion. I will make a fresh bundle using enchanted wood and see if the results improve!

Thanks for the suggestion / advice!

-- Robert

From the pitch of the vibration you determine that the purpose of the shield is as a shield.
Re: Issue with Ethereal OSA pirates 05/02/2022 06:08 PM CDT
Make sure you use an enchanted tip if you put a tip on it. Steel tip on faewood counts as non-magical.