Ship Roles - Stacking Of Bonuses 09/30/2021 02:01 PM CDT
So prossibly dense-headed/inarticulated-properly question, but something I'd like to have corrected/confirmed for the GSWiki's sake:

https://gswiki.play.net/Open_Sea_Adventures#Ship_Roles

The section on Ship Roles on the OSA GSWiki page states that bonuses from each rank stack. That's cool. That is then followed by a table that lists bonuses for ranks...

What I'm wondering, for the people who made that table: are those the bonuses for just those ranks or are those the overall bonuses, including the bonuses from the previous ranks.

What I mean is:
* Master Captains are listed as "a small bonus to pushing the capstan and see the health of each room of the ship. Provides a medium bonus to cannon damage and accuracy. Provides a medium bonus to repaired damage. Able to fix the ship, load the cannons, and turn the wheel faster".
* ^^^Is this *on top of* the Adept's "small bonus to pushing the capstan" and the Veteran's "a small bonus to damage and accuracy with cannons. Provides a small bonus to each repair. Able to turn the wheel faster"?
* Making a Master Captain essentiall having "a small+small bonus to pushing the capstan", "a small+medium bonus to cannon damage and accuracy", "a small+medium bonus to each repair", and "able to turn the wheel faster+faster"?

TL;DR: the "Master" bonuses listed for each role on that table... are those just the bonuses that the Master rank gives?

~Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai
~Inquisitor of Kuon
~Rose Guardian, House Sylvanfair
Re: Ship Roles - Stacking Of Bonuses 09/30/2021 02:45 PM CDT
From the way the table is laid out, I would expect each line to stand on its own.

For the Boatswain, for example:
Tier1/OTS/Novice - gives no bonus
Tier2/one upgrade/Adept - gives +small bonus to each repair (and plus one other ability)
Tier3/two upgrades/Veteran - gives +medium bonus to each repair (and plus three other abilities)
Tier4/three upgrades/Master - gives +large bonus to each repair (and plus four other abilities)

Once you are a veteran, you ought not expect to get "+small bonus +medium bonus"; you just get the medium bonus.

When you are a Master, you don't see "+small +medium +large", you just get a large bonus.
Re: Ship Roles - Stacking Of Bonuses 09/30/2021 03:09 PM CDT
And this is EXACTLY why I'm asking this question... because I see the table the way you see it Krakii, but right above the table, it states that role bonuses stack with bonuses from bonuses from lower ranks.

Sooooo.... the table: are the bonuses per rank on the tables the cumulative bonuses (including everything from lower ranks) OR the bonuses from just. that. rank.

~Inquisitor of Kuon
Re: Ship Roles - Stacking Of Bonuses 09/30/2021 05:49 PM CDT
Okay, so further pedantic thinking, let's see if we can ask/discuss this a different way...

Scene Layout:
Each role has bonuses. Those bonuses stack. This we know. Let's give each amount of bonus a number.... 1 for "very small bonus", 2 for "small bonus", 3 for "medium bonus", 4 for "large bonus". These numbers are completely hypothetical, just for this excercise.

Scenario One (Boastwain) (cumulative bonuses):
At novice level, boatswains get no role bonus.
At adept level, boatswains have a +2 bonus for each repair, a +1 bonus to not consume repair materials.
At veteran level, boatswains have a +3 bonus for each repair, a +2 bonus to not consume repair materials (plus retrieving wood +1faster, make repairs +1faster, and see health of each room in ship).
At master level, boatswains have a +4 bonus for each repair, a +3 bonus to not consum repair materials (plus retrieving wood +2faster, make repairs +2faster, and see health of each room in ship).

Scenario Two (Boatswain) (additive bonuses):
At novice level, boatswains get no role bonus.
At adept level, boatswains have a +2 bonus for each repair, a +1 bonus to not consume repair materials.
At veteran level, boatswains have a +5 bonus for each repair, a +3 bonus to not consume repair materials, a bonus to retrieving wood +1 faster, a bonus to making repairs +1 faster, and to see health of each room in ship.
At master level, boatswains have a +9 bonus for each repair, a +6 bonus to not consume repair materials, a bonus to retrieving wood +2 faster, a bonus to making repairs +2 faster, and to see health of each room in ship.

I'm being pedantic about this, 'cause the role bonuses for the Captain role on the table on the GSWiki page is messing with my brain. It's not reading as cumulative at all (it doesn't have the pushing capstan bonus listed in the veteran role)... maybe I'm just being to OC(P)D about it, but my brain just can't seem to compensate. :/

~Inquisitor of Kuon
Re: Ship Roles - Stacking Of Bonuses 09/30/2021 06:13 PM CDT
>> Sooooo.... the table: are the bonuses per rank on the tables the cumulative bonuses (including everything from lower ranks) OR the bonuses from just. that. rank.

I get your point but given there are no numbers shared, does it really matter if you are getting "a medium amount" or "a medium amount plus a small amount" of a bonus? Under either interpretation you are getting an unspecified 'more bonus' than you had at the lower rank.

Said differently: More ranks - More better in either case.

-- Robert

>> A mongrel kobold points at you and yells, "Mine! Chasin!"
Re: Ship Roles - Stacking Of Bonuses 09/30/2021 06:18 PM CDT
>> It's not reading as cumulative at all (it doesn't have the pushing capstan bonus listed in the veteran role)

And this is likely why they say the bonuses are cumulative. It wouldn't be logical that a Rookie Captain would have a bonus that a Master captain would not. If you can do it as a Rookie Captain then you can do it the same or better as a Master Captain.

Maybe OSA HELP ROLE will be clearer:

osa help role

Ship Roles

Ship roles will provide you with bonuses as you level them up. You will need to declare your role before taking part in a journey. These bonuses can range from more damage when firing a cannon to faster interactions with navigation. To declare your role, you will need to visit the NPC in Kraken's Fall. He is located at the Town Hall, the Inking Den, in the Office of Employment. Each role has some specialties that pertain to its title. You can change your declared role at any point. You can look at the OSA ROLE command to see your current status.

- Captains eventually receive bonuses to navigation, cannon-fire, and repairing.
- Boatswains eventually receive bonuses to repairs.
- Navigators eventually have bonuses to navigation-related tasks.
- Swashbucklers eventually have bonuses against ship-specific maneuvers and slight bonuses to cannon damage.
- Cannoneers eventually have bonuses to accuracy and damage with cannon fire against enemy ships.

-- Robert

>> A mongrel kobold points at you and yells, "Mine! Chasin!"