Some weirdness in the ocean today... 01/03/2021 07:03 PM CST
[The Tenebrous Cauldron]
A piece of driftwood languidly rocks in the current. Stretching as far as the eye can see, the deep blue waters glisten with the reflection of the clear skies above. You notice the presence of a dark battle-marred carrack and a charcoal ironwood carrack flying a sanguine canvas flag in the nearby waters. Potential docking options include a bustling port.
Open waters: east, southeast, south, southwest, west
[SMR result: 131 (Open d100: 75)]
[SMR result: 233 (Open d100: 186)]
[SMR result: 140 (Open d100: 93)]
[SMR result: 77 (Open d100: 39)]
[SMR result: 191 (Open d100: 83)]
[SMR result: 105 (Open d100: 69)]

-- Robert

>> [You have failed your current Adventurer's Guild task.]
Re: Some weirdness in the ocean today... 01/04/2021 10:17 AM CST
I pulled some additional information from my log file in case it is helpful in pinning down this issue:

>turn wheel east>You grab hold of the wooden wheel and do your best to steer the ship to the east.
You gain role experience!
Roundtime: 7 sec.
>Your SIGN OF DEFLECTION is no longer effective.
>[iSigns]>sign of deflection
You feel magical energies distort and flow around you.
>[ Sign of Deflection: +0:17:40, 0:17:40 remaining. ]
>watch oceanYou begin to watch the ocean waters surrounding the ship....
[The Tenebrous Cauldron]
A piece of driftwood languidly rocks in the current. Stretching as far as the eye can see, the deep blue waters glisten with the reflection of the clear skies above. You notice the presence of a dark battle-marred carrack and a charcoal ironwood carrack flying a sanguine canvas flag in the nearby waters. Potential docking options include a bustling port.
Open waters: east, southeast, south, southwest, west
>[SMR result: 131 (Open d100: 75)]
[SMR result: 233 (Open d100: 186)]
[SMR result: 140 (Open d100: 93)]
[SMR result: 77 (Open d100: 39)]
[SMR result: 191 (Open d100: 83)]
[SMR result: 105 (Open d100: 69)]

-- Robert

Re: Some weirdness in the ocean today... 01/04/2021 07:03 PM CST
Robert, I believe you said you had a Sloop correct? If so, the clue to the issue lies here:

>>You notice the presence of a dark battle-marred carrack and a charcoal ironwood carrack flying a sanguine canvas flag in the nearby waters.

What you're seeing is a known phenomenon when your ship is in the same "room" as another players (in this case the charcoal ironwood carrack) and they are closing on each other. The SMR rolls are the attacks from the NPC ship cannons against the players on their ship for damage or avoidance. I am not sure it's something Retser can necessarily fix without doing some major overhaul in how that all works. Again, it's mainly because you're in the same space as another set of ships. You shouldn't see that if you are the only ship in that particular "room".
Re: Some weirdness in the ocean today... 01/04/2021 07:08 PM CST
Thanks! Makes sense and explains why I only saw it a few times!

Hopefully it is something that can eventually be fixed but it isn't a major issue in the grand scheme of things.

-- Robert